Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Kia Sorento

Comments

• Options
    Jason5Jason5 Member Posts: 440
    The Sorento is body on frame--no matter what they told you at Kia University. Yes, the Liberty calls it's construction "uniframe"---but it's really a unibody construction just like the former Cherokee... Unibody is just that--there is no formal "frame"--the frame is designed into the structure and inseparable from it. Go look at a pickup brochure like the new Ram--you see the bare frame..then the body and panels are attached to it..
    I'll also go out on a limb--again--and say the unibody vs frame issue as it applies to "off road" ability is a non issue...
  • Options
    ccquinnccquinn Member Posts: 3
    I test drove a Sorento LX today (very nice) and noticed a knob on the dash to the left of the steering wheel. It was a two position switch marked "off" and "snow." Does anyone know what this knob does?

I thought it might be traction control, but being a two-wheel drive without ABS this is doubtful. Also, I haven't seen any mention of traction control on the Sorento.
  • Options
    PlacemanPlaceman Member Posts: 44
    The snow button starts you off in 2nd gear.
  • Options
    jeepster4jeepster4 Member Posts: 53
    From Kia's Korean website, "The Sorento's box-type monocoque body is mounted on a strengthened main chassis frame to provide both excellent handling characteristics and great structural rigidity. Collision forces are dispersed through the creation of crumple zones and cabin deformation is kept to a minimum, providing a highly secure environment for passengers."

From Jeep.com, "Grand Cherokee's frame is built to handle many types of road conditions. It's fully integral with the body of the vehicle which creates a more durable construction. This type of engineering also contributes to a smooth, quieter on-road performance."

Monocoque. ... Monocoque (French for "single shell") is a construction technique that
    utilizes the external skinning of an object to form most of the structure. ...

Or you could just go look under them, I did.
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    It's hard to put a body-lift on a uni-body vehicle, I'll agree to some respect that uni-v-frame for offroad isn't a HUGE issue, but on a manufacturer like KIA if it's uni-body then it indicates a car approach rather than a truck approach and would indicate that it's not setup to be a competent offroader. The Jeep and Montero have been in the offroad business for a long time so they could get away with a uni-body offroader. Next time I'm at my dealer I'll check and see if it's body on frame or some other uni-body style.

-mike
  • Options
    The Sorento IS body on frame construction...
  • Options
    Jason that is great news. But there is/was some conflict between you and someone who supposedly went to "kia university"

Currently if I were in the market for a mid-sized SUV I'd be looking hard at the Axiom and the Sorento, probably my 2 favorite SUVs right now.

-mike
  • Options
    hciaffahciaffa Member Posts: 454
    I may be getting into this forum late but I am glad to see that people are getting to know the Sorento. We are in the market for another vehicle as the one my wife is driving has never given her as sense of security. I drove past a Kia dealer in my area and he only had one as a demo and I mean this one was a true demo. It was a LX model but it was done so the customer could see what all the options were. One seat was leather the back seats were done in the cloth material one door had the wood trim two wheels were the stock wheels the other two has the custom wheels ( by the way if you get the custom wheels the full size spare has the custom wheel as well). Part of the dash had the brushed chrome and part was plain and some wood trim thrown in as well. Roof rack and the EX luxury stereo. I did crawl under the vehicle to check out the chassis and it is a body on a ladder frame for rigidity. This model had the regular shift on the fly 4X4 but the salesman stated that the luxury model option has auto 4x4 with a 50/50 split when slippage is detected but he mentioned a locking differential switch something to what a Ford Escape has. We are really being swayed to this model.
    Paisan are the fellow that lurks over in the Subaru Forester forum???? If so then you may have read some of the problems that we have had with our Forester.
  • Options
    The TOD unit on the Sorento works basically to put 15% power to the front axle when moving above 5mph. Then after that it will shift more power to the front as slippage is detected in the rear. It's infinitely variable up to 50/50. In the "lock" it will LOCK 50/50 power and puts the car in low-range like the PT 4wd system. It's a great system as I have it on my Trooper.

Which problems are you having with the forester? I'll scan through em.

-mike
  • Options
    anonymous02anonymous02 Member Posts: 1,538
    Is that the EXACT same system/unit? I mean, the same manufacturer and everything? Or is it the same STYLE of unit, or the same manufacturer, but slightly different, or different manufacturer but very similar, or what?
  • Options
    Borg Warner makes it. As far as I know it's the same unit used in the Trooper, Axiom, and Vehicross.

-mike
  • Options
    steve_onsteve_on Member Posts: 70
    When is Edumunds going to update the main web site with informaiton on the Sorento?

I know it's only a Kia, not a BMW or MB....LOL
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Welcome aboard!

I may be getting into this forum late...

There's no such thing as getting in late! It's an ongoing discussion and we're glad you found us.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
  • Options
    from buyers and shoppers. So far I've had two experiences. One dealership willing to deal between MSRP and the "likely" invoice. Another dealership not willing to come off the MSRP--at least initially. As I mentioned these vehicles are not flying off the lot. At least here in PA..
  • Options
    dubsgroupdubsgroup Member Posts: 3
    Help, Please!!! I have been seriously shopping around for a small/midsized SUV and thought I had settled on a 2003 CR-V EX. Then I saw the Sorento. Now I'm totally confused all over again. Can you guys help me sort out which would be better for me? I will probably never use the vehicle on tough, off-road terrain. More like trips to the beach, airport and mall with the kids. I like the V6 over the 4 but the CR-V is loaded with all the options I like. It beat the Pilot (in my opinion) because of all of the gadgets that are offered and the Pilot costs more. I just didn't feel it was worth the extra $. The Sorento seems to be in the middle of the two, price-wise. What do you think?
  • Options
    "More like trips to the beach, airport and mall with the kids. I like the V6 over the 4 "

Why not get a Camry or Maxima or Jetta?
  • Options
    dubsgroupdubsgroup Member Posts: 3
    I like lots of cargo space. I have moved boatloads of things in Subaru Wagons and wanted something a bit bigger. If Subaru made a true SUV, I'd buy it. I've never found a more reliable car. But I don't want another car. Sounds as if you don't think I should get an SUV at all.
  • Options
    pmnelmspmnelms Member Posts: 1
    If you have bought a Sorento in the Austin area, would like to know where. Especially from charlesm1950.
  • Options
    wenbwenb Member Posts: 45
    If price is a problem, Don't blame Kia. You can get a 4x4 lx for just over 21,000 a well optioned ex for 25,000. The 28,000 is the luxury model. Luxury means more expensive.Drive the vehicle before complaining about the price.For documentation freaks, it should say heavy duty ladder frame right on the window sticker.
  • Options
    bigheadtoolerbigheadtooler Member Posts: 7
    I took a gander at some on the lot of Town Center Kia, north of ATL in Kennesaw, GA. They had 22 on the lot! LX, EX, Luxury, etc. Prices ranged from 21k to 27k. Looked nice on outside. Thought the cargo area looked rather small and that the inside fit and finish looked cheap on the low end models. A two-tone Luxury with cream and wood interior looked very nice, though faux wood looked like plastic. Overall, looked nice, but I think 27-28k for the Luxury is a bit much.
  • Options
    Cars Direct has pricing up on the new Sorento.

Loaded EX

Invoice $26,769
    CD Price $27,687
    Sticker -$30

So with this being a new model, figure in two or three months you should be able to pick one fully loaded for what, ~$25,000, maybe less if gas prices spike and all Sport Utes drop off.

I want one by the way, but will wait a bit I think wait a bit to see if there are any major "bugs" that surface in the first few months of the car being on the market.

Also anyone been able to swing a deal with a dealer to include rental car coverage? Tips on how to make this happen please.

I have a 80 mile round trip to work, and really can't afford to be without wheels, one of the reasons I am looking at new cars.
  • Options
    jeepster4jeepster4 Member Posts: 53
    Rental car coverage is included in most extended service policys. Can you get the dealer to pick up part or all of the cost? Probably not, but you can always ask. Remember, everything is negotiable.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    We had a pricing update tonight (it's still yesterday here in Boise ), but no invoice numbers. TMV pricing is close to MSRP it appears.

Here's the link.

Steve, Host

• Options
    saber86saber86 Member Posts: 128
    Steve

I am little curious. The TMV number where or how does edmunds come up with the number for all different makes and models?

thanks
  • Options
    Ms. Cleo gives it to them....LOL
  • Options
    boredbored Member Posts: 300
    "I want one by the way, but will wait a bit I think wait a bit to see if there are any major "bugs" that surface in the first few months of the car being on the market."

Well, the Sorento has been on sale in Korea for MONTHS now, so maybe you could search Google for some websites about it, and find out. There are several translators if you need them. Altavista.com offers a good one.
  • Options
    There is heated discussion going on right now in "I don't like SUV's, why do you?" here in Edmunds. I strongly defend the use of SUV's for when people have the use for them, but based on your comments, I don't see where a wagon or minivan would not be a better match for you. I also like the PT cruiser for something a little different/sporty, yet very utilitarian.

I just don't see taking the hit in gas mileage if you don't go offroad or tow.
  • Options
    johnskevjohnskev Member Posts: 98
    After seeing the Sorento TV commericial, I raced to the KIA website to check out this SUV. I previously owned a 2001 Infiniti QX4 and I can honestly tell you (based solely on the info and pictures I've seen on the website) that this Sorento looks pretty fit and finished. It has almost all of the luxuries I had in my QX4 (down to the handy coin tray/drawer to the left of the steering wheel) and looks pretty good. I can't make any judgement on the drive and feel, though, but I hope to go test drive one to find out. The QX4 has been the most stable vehicle I've ever driven; if the Sorento can match that, I think it should be one of the best SUVs on the market, even compared to the Nissan Pathfinder (pretty much the exact same SUV as the QX4).
  • Options
    W"ell, the Sorento has been on sale in Korea for MONTHS now, so maybe you could search Google for some websites about it, and find out. There are several translators if you need them. Altavista.com offers a good."

Good suggestion, however I'm not sure that a car produced in Korea, driven by Koreans would be critiqued the way we Americans do. I would think that Korean consumers are a little different than the American ones, but you could be right.

Americans, seem to enjoy bitching about anything and everything, well at least I do...LOL

Hey just look at the kevitching going on about the remotes on the mini-van. Hey I paid good money for this, ALL better work.

Your comments are appreciated however.
  • Options
    lol at Ms. Cleo.

We used to not give a TMV number for brand new vehicles since there were so few sales to sample. But people wanted it, so the data guys extrapolate as best they can. link

Steve, Host

• Options
    anidesanides Member Posts: 3
    Here's a great article I found that you Kia and Hyundai fans will enjoy reading!

Visit:

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=5420

• Options
    mkayemkaye Member Posts: 184
    Boise, huh?
    Great town.
    Sure miss them burgers at Big Bun!
  • Options
    Ah, I've only been here ~2 years, but will definitely put Big Bun on the list. Can't beat the Sav-On Cafe for breakfast and Herbie Burgers after skiing at Bogus. Even have a Kia dealer here!

Steve, Host
  • Options
    Here's the link to the I don't like SUVs, why do you?" discussion that anonymous02 mentioned. But be warned - it's not for the faint of heart! ;-)

tidester
    Host

• Options
    saber86saber86 Member Posts: 128
    steve

are you trying to flame me *LOL* just teasing.

There are just so much information in this place sometimes its hard to get to the right place to get the information.

thanks for that link :)
  • Options
    OK I'm not a four wheeling kind of guy, but want an education.

The Sorento has both a 4 x 2 version and a 4 x 4 version.

The 4 x 2 version has this knob that switches into "snow" mode. What's the difference between this capability and a true 4 x 4 ? If you're not a hard core off roader, is the 4 x 2 with this knob good enough or is it better to go for the real thing?

By the way, Sorentos are now hitting So Calf show rooms, looks like they got a boat unloaded.
  • Options
    I'm always finding new stuff around here. Just the other day I was complaining to the management that we need a "blast email" article to update the Blast Fax one. Turns out there already was one - oops.

Here's a discussion that may help. Steve_on - "4WD & AWD systems explained." The How Things Work website is supposed to have a good overview too. I don't know if there are enough new Sorento owners out there yet to talk about the real world differences in the Sorento 4x4/4x2's. Anyone?

Steve, Host

• Options
    01r101r1 Member Posts: 280
    Drove the 4x4 EX w/ leather today, not too bad. We had about 600-700 lbs in it, still pretty peppy. Noticed the engine was quick to rev up, felt energetic. The ride was good, felt firm but not harsh. Steering response was good, some people may not like that much road feel though.

Back seat got one complaint that the padding was too thin. Felt fine to me, for the 30 seconds I sat there before I drove :)

I tried the 4x4 mode, went into high range just fine. I stopped put in neutral, clicked to Low range and nothing. Went back to Drive (selector still in Low range) and it was still in High range. I stopped, put in N, clicked to High range, and the 4x4 Low range light lit up on the dash. Went into D, it wasn't Low (like the light said) it was High Range.

I finally went back to N, clicked it to 2wd mode and then drove forward and stopped. Put it in N, clicked it all the way to Low range and it worked this time. You could hear the transfer case and the Low light lit up. Drove forward to confirm, it worked.

I don't know if it was just the one I drove, but make sure you test the 4x4 High and Low ranges before you buy one.

Overall, a very nice SUV!
  • Options
    anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    where Ms. Cleo was working now.
  • Options
    I understand that Ms. Cleo went to work for Daewoo at corporate headquarters.

Some job related to future business planning...LOL.
  • Options
    Actually, Ms. Cleo is in court trying to stave off clients who are suing her for deceptive business practices including charging them for the advertised free minutes of "counseling."

I am surprised she hadn't anticipated this.

tidester
    Host
  • Options
    A"ctually, Ms. Cleo is in court trying to stave off clients who are suing her for deceptive business practices"

Like I said she went to work for Daewoo....LOL
  • Options
    Just don't get me started on John Edwards - the guy who bamboozles people into thinking he's communicating with the dead! I think we should get back to Kia Sorento before I express my true feelings! :-)

tidester
    Host
  • Options
    Just got back from a local Kia dealership and a short test drive.

A few observations:

1) Lots of pickup, very quick with low cabin noise on surface streets. Hit 70 by accident, that's my story officer, on one strech of open road without realizing it. I would guess freeway would be very nice, with good merge power/speed. A bit of engine noise when you put your foot in it, but that's a V6 for you.

Throttle seemed a bit touchy, comments from current owners? Might just have been caused by my right foot not knowing the car.

2) Controls and such are only OK, placement reflects a bit of a lack of refinement, but overall pretty good. Think of how well controls are placed on a Honda, Kia's are not as well thought out but still quite acceptable.

3) Driver seat does not go back all that far, I'm 6' and like to drive almost strait leg, drivers seat is about 2 inches too short in this department.

4) Quality of materials are OK, but obviously a grade below some of the big buck cars, but that's part of how they sell the car so low. Example, the leather on the seats on a EX is real, but not of a heavy grade...yea a nit. Not all that impressed with the headliner fabric.

5) Built on a truck frame for sure, the ride is firm and we went over a typical curb leaving the dealership, "bump" not "buuuuumppppp" like in a car based Sport ute, a bit jarring but that's the mark of a true frame.

6) Steering is very light and power assist is good, maybe a little overboosted, but again not sure that was not me not being used to the car.

Bottom line, yes I would buy one, and may in the future.

Question to non-West Coast shoppers, have MidWest and East Coast dealers started to deal? West Coast is just getting these cars due to the port strike and they don't seem to be in dealing mode yet. I'd guess as the pipe gets full to over full due to all the cars showing up at once, things may change.

Right now local dealer is talking MSRP, I'd like to get it close or below invoice.

P.S. Ms. Cleo was nowhere to be seen.
  • Options
    vjovjo Member Posts: 10
    I went to Winner KIA yesterday, just to look at the Sorento, on sticker was $1695.00 addiontal markup plus $135.00 for stripes, stripes looked like vinyl stripes that you can buy from any auto supplier at $7.00!!! Sent manager an Email , said "That any dealer that adds ADM are RIP-OFF Artists" !!!! "I also told him I would not deal with Winner KIA "!!!!
    If you are in the market for a SUV, In my opinion, do not go to Winner Kia!!! KIA looks great, cross between A Mercedes and an Lexus!! VJO
  • Options
    Oh...a small humor comment.

Could not find the spot on the Sorento where you put in Korean "Rocket Fuel".....AKA Kimchee....LOL
  • Options
    I'm not sure if there is a thread on Edmund's or not about this sort of thing, if not here's a suggestion:

Should be in General section titled:

"The Games They Play"

$1000, wax jobs
    $400, scotch guard jobs
    $140, pin stripes
    $BIG, "Market Adjustments" aka "Because we Can"
    $BIG, "All sorts of "security stuff"
  • Options
    You forgot the $400 "document" fees. And don't forget to charge extra for the floor mats, and heaven forbid that there's a full tank of gas in it. How about a 3rd spare key "just in case" - only $90. :-)

Another discussion you may enjoy: Cheesy Dealer Tactics (lots of financing ripoffs).

Steve, Host
  • Options
    01r101r1 Member Posts: 280
    Yes, bought a New Wrangler a few months back and they'd only give me 8 gallons! Ticked me off, so I said I wasn't buying unless the tank was full. The salesman said he would loose his job over it, but he'd try to get it full. They "detailed" it and preped it for delivery and said the tank was full. I signed the paperwork and hopped in to leave, it had less than half a tank. They then told me that if they filled my tank, they'd have to fill everyone's tank... Guess I should have checked before signing. These games get real old.

Back to the Sorento... went back today for a second test drive. Yes, the throttle does seem touchy - but I'm sure you'd get used to it. This dealer had $2500 ADM (sucker money) added. They only had three EX's, none with the load leveling option, so I didn't get to deep into the price negotiations. He did come down to MSRP pretty quick, but I (like others) am looking for invoice pricing. I can wait.

BTW, this Dealer is on the West coast and none of the dealers in the Portland area seem to have many yet.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    West Coast Sorento Pricing 10/19

~ MSRP
    Los Angeles (me)
    Portland (01r1)

Need some Midwest and Eastern Pricing

Anyone want to go kick tires tomorrow?

Theory: West Coast prices high due to availabiity of product (West Coast Strike). Prices will drop below Invoice soon when stocks back up, gotta move some of this Iron sitting around.

Anyone know what times of year are "good" and what times are "bad" when it comes to car sales.

I could call Ms. Cleo, but I heard they shut down the phones at Daewoo HQ....sorry moderator, this has now become a running gag.