Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Dakota Crew Cab

14567810»

Comments

• ozarkozark Member Posts: 124
    Quad at the dealer but I have to wait until Saturday to pick it up. :-) :-( Meanwhile...I am still wondering about the tonneau covers. I have never owned one before and I still wonder how waterproof they are. You that have had experiences with them please enlighten me.
  • lmeyer1lmeyer1 Member Posts: 215
    Where are folks putting after-market CD changers in their Quads?

This seemed to me one reason to opt for the bench seat, since the deep console could easily swallow one up.
  • badassbobbadassbob Member Posts: 78
    No remorse here.....I was expecting to pay at least $500 Over invoice but didnt let the dealers know that....I was surprised that i got it at the price i did but im sure not complaining.....Just curious how the rest of the country was willing to deal on these trucks....Now its time to go shopping for accessories....I have a friend that works for a Rhino-Liner Installer and friends that work at Advance Auto and AutoZone.....I Get everything for their cost plus any shipping(if any....there hasent been any so far though)...So now its just a matter of paging through catalogs and finding the right acc's.....The Rhino Liner will be applied the day after i pick up my truck....The only catch is that i have to pull the bike trailer the next time we head out for the Beach...No complaints from me...

Has anyone priced a Factory Dodge Service manual for the QC yet.....Whats the going price?
  • cowtownkidcowtownkid Member Posts: 43
    Wow, this color is news to me, in Texas my dealer listed all the color choices (I was already set on Amber Fire) and Bronze was never mentioned, nor was it in the brochure. Haven't seen a truck this color either...intresting. After reading some of the previous post I inquired about the fender flares and was told they would not be on my 4X2 Sport. I had the dealer order them. The Amber Fire Quad "I had to have" on a local lot had them (must have been dealer installed) and the truck was awesome, still waiting in Texas...

cowtownkid
  • bookittybookitty Member Posts: 1,303
    Brian, I always spoke to Ernie at extension 7125. He has been a great help, and works very hard to deliver accurate information (he does not control the information, he just relays it). Ernie really knows his way around and through the D/C system. Above all, he is a very nice person and likes to help people. From your order date, you are not doing to bad. I ordered mine (similar specifications) on 12/24/99, and the dealer entered it 12/28/99. I continue to wait. It is supposed to be complete, and somewhere within the realm of "shipping". Brian, you are a "short timer" when it comes to waiting. I get ribbed by the guys on this forum about how long I have been waiting. I'm certain it will be worth it.

Bookitty
  • boguitboguit Member Posts: 1
    After checking out a few trucks I decided on the Dakota Quad cab 4X4 SLT Plus. I really liked the Toyota Tundra but felt for the money the Dakota was definitely a better value. This was last year on Dec 23rd when the order was placed and I am told that it still has not been manufactured. First I was told some part on the transmission for 4X4's was unavailable but will be available soon so probably around March 15 to 21 it should arrive. I will be surprised if that happens. Anyway, I saw a posting by someone on Edmund's with a web site for tracking by order number for the build status. Can't seem to find that posting so was hoping they could post it again.
    Part of the problem may be that I ordered through a leasing company rather than direct from a dealer. The price was something like $100 over invoice so no complaint with that, but really would like to actually drive the thing.
    By the way, for Cowtownkid, the color is Bronze Pearlcoat. That was the color of the one I test drove at the dealership before ordering. I thought It was a really sharp looking color with the black (agate) interior.
    Would appreciate any help on tracking the build status from the internet.
  • mrb9mrb9 Member Posts: 25
    Bookitty, thanks for the ext. for "Ernie", I will call him later this week to see how the process goes. Sorry about the ribbing, National Guard and all, but you seem to have waiting for ever, I feel real bad for you. Must be that color, They must have to change shifts alot to work on it, the guys in the plant probably have to wear shades to work on it for longer 10 minutes at a time. LOLLLL. Sorry anyway, hope it arrives soon. Mrb
  • knkresortknkresort Member Posts: 79
    The QC manual from D/C is $99 retail. I had them throw it in as part of the sale. Takes 6 weeks to get it, but won't need it before then.

KnK
  • govnogovno Member Posts: 2
    Badassbob,
    You were curious how much quads cost. Well here on Oahu Hawaii, there are three Dodge dealers. One has had the same two Quads on their lot for 2 months and they'll only come down to $4,000 over MSRP, vice the sticker price which is marked up $6,000 over MSRP.
    The second dealer sold their one Quad cab. Don't know how much they got for it.
    The third dealer has four Quads. They said they would sell for $1,000 over MSRP (down from the $4,000 over MSRP additional markup). Two of the four were 5.9l, one was a 5.2l and one was the V6. If I wanted a 4.9l, I could order it for $1,000 over MSRP --plus a $5,000 non-refundable down payment-- and wait three to six months for delivery.

There can only be two reasons for this.
    1. The Quads in Hawaii have a gold undercoating and thereby justify the price markup. OR
    2. The dealers in Hawaii are as consumer friendly as a tiger shark in a feeding frenzy. Since there is so little competition here, they get away with gouging everyone.

I've tried the Autobytel road and all they could offer me was the $1,000 over MSRP. (Which was much better than the other poor shark bait sucker in the dealership. He was also trying to buy a Quad but was using the haggle-until-blue-in-the-face technique. He walked away from a $2,500 over MSRP price.)

Hawaii is beautiful and the weather is incredible but be thankful you're not buying a truck in this dealer monopoly paradise.

I've briefly looked into buying a Quad in California and shipping it out here. The cost is about $850-$950 to ship from San Fran or LA. I don't know if it'll be worth the hassle to buy a truck sight unseen, pay taxes in CA (don't know if I'ld have to pay HI taxes also), and then trust a dealer to get it to the shipping company relatively unscathed.

I've pretty much resigned myself to waiting another six or so months. By then there should be some dealer stock and hopefully these crazed-up cats will grow some sense too.

I realize this has turned into a rant but thanks for the vent. I think I need to go drink a beer and calm down now. Thanks to everyone for the great info. And YES I'm jealous of all you guys sporting around in a vehicle that I've been waiting to come to market for three years.

Later..............Govno
  • jcody1jcody1 Member Posts: 58
    Has anyone else noticed that the 4.7l (next generation motor) does not have a distributor, or spark plug wires. It has a separate coil on top of each spark plug. Can't even see the spark plug in fact, it looks like the coil comes off first and then exposes the spark plug. Pretty interesting.... Damn I love this motor!
  • yank2yank2 Member Posts: 49
    I would like to thank Ernie. Dealer order my Quad 1/28. Call Ernie 4 times and he let me no what I wanted each time. Quad built 2/22 shipped 2/23 arrived Tampa 3/2 Arrived dealer 80 miles north Tampa 3/7.Will pick up 3/10 less Tonneau cover dealer ordered one for club cab. I only wish the dealers had people half as good as Ernie.Thank you for all the help on this sight.
  • knkresortknkresort Member Posts: 79
    Talked to Ernie today. Truck moved from frame to paint (Green). Should be available to ship by Monday. :-) The waiting is a killer.

KnK
    Sorry to hear about the prices in Hawaii...That was exactly the kind of info i was trying to find out..Could it be that these trucks are shipped to hawaii via Nuclear Submarine or something???? That is terrible...For that price the truck had better come with a bed full of $10 bills.....

knkresort....Thanks for the price check on the manual.....You wouldnt happen to know TRUE dealer cost on that one would you.....The salesman is going to sell me one at cost....

Ill just keep twiddling my thumbs till mine gets here....Happy Quading everyone....
  • smith24smith24 Member Posts: 8
    I live in western NC and curious as to where you got such a good deal. I'm very anxious to buy QC.
  • poolman57poolman57 Member Posts: 16
    Well, I am proud to say I am the owner of a 2000 Quad Cab Dakota Sport 4WD that is in my possession as of yesterday around 5:00 pm. I ordered it 1/19. I am very pleased with it. Although I feel bad that I got my 5.9, auto, 3.92, black, with all the goodies (I mean all of them - MSRP $29,495!) before bookitty got his or anybody else for that matter that ordered theirs before I did. But, oh well, patience is a virtue. But anyway, I need to go get my windows tinted and go wherever else I can think of!

Jeff
  • tpmiller1tpmiller1 Member Posts: 165
    Congrats. Your's is the second black sport which has arrived and ordered around same date I ordered (that I am aware of). Please let us waiters know how things go.
  • bradg33bradg33 Member Posts: 2
    Everyone here has been alot more help than my dealer in regards to the status of my Quad Cab. I placed my order on 2/7 (Black, 4wd, 4.7l). Called D/C today and was told it was on material restriction because of the 4.7l. Sorry to inform everyone waiting of this info, mine hasn't even hit the line yet. Good luck!
  • bradg33bradg33 Member Posts: 2
    Everyone here has been alot more help than my dealer in regards to the status of my Quad Cab. I placed my order on 2/7 (Black, 4wd, 4.7l). Called D/C today and was told it was on material restriction because of the 4.7l. Sorry to inform everyone waiting of this info, mine hasn't even hit the line yet. Good luck!
  • yank2yank2 Member Posts: 49
    I am glade I got the 4.7 sorry to hear they are out of stock now. The Quad drives just great a lot like my corvette but more like a big Caddy and very quiet. It was worth the wait.
  • mrb9mrb9 Member Posts: 25
    I talked to the now famous "ernie" today. he is a lot more help then anyone else there, by far. He told me that my Quad, which was ordered 2/19 was in D status. He said I have a firm build schedule for the 4th week in March and completion for that sma week. Ship time to west coast is 17 days? I think I could walk there and back in 17 days, but 17 days it is. No mention of restrictions on mine, 4.7L, 5spd, 3.92, SLT, and all options imaginable. But NO restrictions. So with that in mind I fel much better about actually seeing this truck soon. But wont count any quads until it hatches. Mrb9
    smith24,

I ordered mine from Kernersville Dodge, and the Salesmans name was Dave Fierle...The service was excellent....My wife and i set up an appointment to test drive one and when we got there on Saturday...he had one with dealer tag on it. We talked for a while and tossed me the keys and said "have a good time"...I couldnt belive i didnt have to have a "Choufer"...After a 45min drive through the backroads, we came back where he gave me a price that no-one in a 100mile radius could touch(only negotiated for 10 minutes because i was armed with EDMUND's info). email me at [email protected] and ill be happy to email you the agreement with a cost breakdown...I'd sure drive 4 hours or so to Kernersville from western NC to same a few hundred bucks..I was lucky...I work in K-Ville 5 minutes from the dealership...

***Side note---I looked at an A.R.E Lo-Pro lockable Fiberglass Tonue($695 installed but the guy told me it was negotiable) today and am almost 95% sure i will order one this weekend... Anyone have any experience with this particular top....This top only sticks up around 1/2" or less over the rails and does not lap over the rear of the tailgate.... Looked really sweet...Only concern is that a weatherstip must be applied to the top of the bed-rails and tailgate..

All you guys/gals that have your Quad now.....Enjoy and keep posting the things you like/dislike....
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    (jcody1) You are just touching the tip of the Iceburg on this engine! The 4.7L is very different from the 1960s-based engine it replaces.
    It can be classified as a true HEMIspherical engine. The spark-plugs are BETWEEN the valves. Here are a few URLs that provide more info on the 4.7L.

Award:
    http://www.wardsauto.com/best10/99info/dcc47v8.htm

Mechanical Review:
    http://dodgeram.com/technical/cammer/4_7_v8.html

http://www.4adodge.com/glossary/torque_charts/index.html?quad

The plant where it is built:
    http://www.autointell.com/chrysler10.htm
    http://www.autointell.com/chrysler22.htm
  • gbilhimergbilhimer Member Posts: 53
    Thanks for the info all, I ordered mine from the dealer today. $255 plus tax. I wish they were standard on 4x2's with the tire and handling package. the 15x8 wheels seem to be flush with the outside of the fender. price seems to be reasonable for painted matching flares. I was told they should be in by Tuesday which really surprised me.
  • themacguythemacguy Member Posts: 417
    As described by others, (1) they are easy to put on. But a word of caution: for those of you wanting to add them to the stock 15X7 shod trucks (those w/o the tire / handling package), (2) they don't look very good. (3) the biggie - if you try them out first by using the upper mounting pin (which if not put in very tight) and a couple of screws just for balancing will let them essentially 'hang' there while you step away and eyeball them from the front or back of your truck, WILL scratch your paint in an arc around the wheel well where the yellow backing for the self stick tape is on the flares as shipped to you. So if you 'try' it out first be very, very careful.

Rule of thumb: they won't look good (or perform much of a function anyway) with the 15X7's, trust me. And if you want them for larger wheels tires - just go ahead and put them on and leave them. The scratches will drive you absolutely crazy!
  • themacguythemacguy Member Posts: 417
    Saw the Tacoma 4 door (and the new fall release S-10 Crew, new Dodge Maxxcab for 2003, etc.) on Autoweek tonight on Speedvision. The Tacoma's back seat looks like the Nissan's Crew Cab (re: small), but the S-10's has the current Brazilian model's slightly larger back seat. But none'll have V-8's.

:-(
  • aprotintaprotint Member Posts: 2
    Ordered a Quad on 2/29. I've been reading these posts for about a month and figured that the leap year thing might be like rubbing Aladdin's lamp as far as decreasing my wait and increasing any good karma towards future problems.

My point in jumping in here, is that with what I've read about these transmissions, I'm considering an extended warranty (my first one on a new car). Can anyone help me out with costs on anything thru Dodge. It seems that if I'm going to pay for something for 3-5 years, it might help me sleep a little better.
  • modvptnlmodvptnl Member Posts: 1,352
    Being a busy body and reading about the price gouging. If you buy a truck in California and have it trailered or driven by the dealer to the loading docks you can avoid state sales tax; this I'm sure of. Now in Nevada if I buy my truck from Ca. and pay tax in Ca. when I go to register at the Nevada DMV I am not charged sales tax again. You would have to call Hawaii's DMV on that one. I also know, last I heard Ca. sales tax is 8 1/4% so depending on your sales tax......pick the one that is lower.

The bottom line is at a few hundred over invoice vs. $1000 over you should still be a couple thousand dollars in your favor including shipping and you can go to Disneyland too boot.
  • stoph1stoph1 Member Posts: 1
    i have 4wd sport pkg with 235/75/r15 tires. the only thing i really don't like about the truck is that the tires look too small. does anyone know how much bigger i can go without having to lift the truck?
  • meredithmeredith Member Posts: 575
    For purposes of efficiency....

this topic is being "frozen." Please continue these discussions in Topic 1685 Dodge Dakota Crew Cab - II.

Front Porch Philosopher
    SUV, Pickups, & Aftermarket and Accessories Host
This discussion has been closed.