Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Dakota Crew Cab

Comments

• tuckmiddletuckmiddle Member Posts: 37
    I switched to synthetic and no more foaming. Isn't that cold for so long in GA, but I had a lot of yellow goop after 2,000 miles.
    Had my GEM cap put on yesterday. Cool as hell. Going to put a flat black "luggage rack" on it or maybe even on the cab instead. I got the bedliner from the dealer, fit is a little sloppy, but price was too much $300, installed.
    Someone mentioned transmission rpm on this or one other area. Ocassionally, when mine downshifts at 70 on a hill, we have plenty in N. GA, it will go to 3,000 rpm and stay there for a minute or more. Normally it's a quick down shift to 2,700 and back to 2,100 or so. One guy thought it may be the transmission selenoid, but he never got back with the info on his; same problem though.
    I put flowmaster muffler with custom pipes on my 4.7, 4x4 quad, it's really great. Had power packs on my last GMC and they were outstanding, but the Dodge engines are loud as locomotives with the power packs. Magic Muffler in N.E. Atlanta did the work, really is a super shop.
    I have a K&N filter, got it in the Dodge dealer accessory shop. Tried a 99 air raid system, but 2000's are different from 99's - have a vent tube of some kind attatched to plastic air line, the chrome tube had no nipple and didn't quite line up.
    I've never had a truck that wasn't GMC or Chevy, but I think the Dodge boys have done a marvelous job with the body; transmission and drive train are a little questionable, no doubt about it.
    I sure am a happy camper so far. Just bought extended warranty, transmissions and engines are expensive!
    Anybody found full length steps, nurf bars or whatever? The Durango's don't fit. Godfather Customs says they ordered me some Smittybuilt or however you spell it. Haven't heard a word from the Smitty people, or whatever you call them.
    Put a Grizzly push bar and brush guard on, looks awsome. I'm about customised out, just like a few goodies, not really a fanatic, but my wife looks at me cross eyed when the truck roars away at lights or when below 60. 70 it's almost like normal.
    15 mpg is about it for 1/2 hwy and 1/2 Atlanta traffic; pretty crummy for a new supposedly hi-tech engine with 3.55 rear.
    Maybe at 90 mph the new GEM cap will up it to 15.1!!
    Gotta go fight with the Jeep dealer, just took a little shafting on a Cherokee for my wife. A 1000 year old guy who's bought tons of cars and trucks and I let em get in my knickers. I'm too embarrassed to tell you how.
    Be careful out there.
  • carls5carls5 Member Posts: 62
    I have been reading in this forum about the Farm Bureau discount. Now I have a question. I am purchasing my Quad cab through the internet and getting it for around $100 over MSRP plus some advertising charges etc. The basic price is considerable less then if I just walked into a dealer. Should I still expect the Farm Bureau discount. Do I need to do anything in advance or just give them the certificate when signing the papers. The last word from DC is that my truck will be build the first of Mar and should be in the dealers the last of Mar which gives me the 30 days before taking possession.

Appreciate any words of wisdom before I sign up for the FB
    Thanks Carl
  • bookittybookitty Member Posts: 1,303
    Carl, the Farm Bureau discount is available to be used to purchase and/or lease a 1999 or 2000 Dodge Truck except for 4 cylinder models. To be eligible for this discount, one must be a member for 30 days prior to taking delivery. The discount is obtained from the Farm Bureau in the form of a certificate. Regardless of the price you paid, the $500.00 is due when the certificate is redeemed through the dealer. I am attaching a URL which will take you to the Farm Bureau. From there, there are links to your state and member benefits, etc. Get moving on this. Click on the following: www.fb.com

Bookitty
  • cowtownkidcowtownkid Member Posts: 43
    Carl, after ordering my Quad my dealer said "make sure you join the Farm Bureau for an additional $500 discount". I wasn't even aware of this program untill he mentioned it. I searched the web and found a local chapter, printed out the membership papers and mailed them in. It cost me $35 for 1 year. You must be a member for 30 days for the discount to take affect. I called the bureau after mailing in my check and they said would back date it to the 1st of Feb.

cowtownkid
    Bookitty and Cowtownkid, Thanks to both of you for the feedback. I will be going in and signing up tomorrow. These forums are really helpful and full of good information.

Carl
  • poolman57poolman57 Member Posts: 16
    To those of you who remember these cars, Dodge had a similar color out roughly 30 years ago. I myself do not remember the hayday of those radical colors that Dodge and Plymouth came out with because I am not old enough (28), but I do own a completely restored 1970 Dodge Coronet R/T that is Burnt Orange. This color is very, very similar to the Amber Fire. I personally have had enough of the "copper" because of my car and I sure as hell did not want two automobiles with that same "unique" color. But let me tell you, that Coronet R/T of mine in Burnt Orange is definately a real head turner and I imagine those of you who have or ordered the Amber Fire will understand. I personally had to go with a universal color of black just to keep some sanity.
    BOOKITTY: Well, I found out yesterday that mine will not be built until the first week of March too. Appearantly, this guy (I don't remember his name) I talked to knew more answers than "Dave", but I did manage to get a file #, whatever the hell that is.

Anxiously awaiting my Quad Cab,

Jeff
  • catnip2377catnip2377 Member Posts: 42
    Does anyone know if there is a kit for automatic headlights on the Dakota/Durango?
  • balserbalser Member Posts: 90
    I've had a file number for about a month now. It was originally opened when the Quads were on 'restriction', but hasn't helped move my order along at all. I ordered 11/23 and still don't have a build date. The dealer said yesterday he had available allocations, so I called DC today and the only rise I got out of the service rep was 'Wow - you ordered that long ago?!' No kidding Sherlock.

I honestly believe the 'restrictions' and the current wait are more a question of factory scheduling priorities. Why were they building Durangos with the tire and handling group and limited slip, and delivering 2wd Daks in six weeks or so, while we wait for 4x4's? How much you want to bet 4x4 Daks sell at a lower margin. If I sound cynical, it's only because no one will give me a reasonable answer on why I've had to wait.
  • tfettertfetter Member Posts: 1
    Hey Gang, Be sure you do your research very well before switching your insurance to Farm Bureau. My Dad was a loyal FB Customer for 32 years, houses and vehicle insurance. He had only filed two claims in that entire time, for a total of about $7,000. Last June, he was in an accident (not seriously injured thankfully), that was not even his fault, but one of the other parties involved tried to sue FB anyway, and yep, you guessed it...THEY CANCELLED MY DAD'S INSURANCE. These people are terrible to deal with, and apparently loyalty and paid premiums have nothing to do with the way they operate. So be careful...
  • haddonhaddon Member Posts: 26
    I know what you are going through, I ordered mine 11/22 and called today with no build date yet. I'm getting tired of this crap. I wonder about how long it will take after I get a build date that I will get my truck. 4X4 SPORT 4.7 AUTO. I thought I read some guys have a build date and ordered after me. Oh well just venting, sorry.
    bookitty- I've been in contact with DC customer service and I'm stuck in BX status (passed edit available for schedule) ever since the restrictions came off. I still haven't moved to 'D', but supposedly it's not a dealer allocation issue. Still, DC customer service can't give me any other reason for the hold up. That's the most frustrating part.
  • gdollarhitegdollarhite Member Posts: 1
    I have read here that some of you hve been getting the best deals on the net. Where should I go myself to do so and how much of a savings are we talking from going to the dealer?
  • hennehenne Member Posts: 407
    you dont have to have any insurance with fb to be a member, just give them the membership fee and 30 days later get a certificate worth 500 smackers.

robert
    Dave, now is the time to beard the dealer. Could it be a credit limit? I'm not certain as to the meaning of that status code. It isin't very clear and needs explanation. Could be that when I call for my update next week, I could be in the same mud wallow as you (are). The dealer has to do something for his money, let him explain this predicament.

Bookitty
    gdollarhite There are several good sites on the internet. I looked at two carorder.com and automall.com. Carorder allow you to build your vehicle based on option, price it and store it in a virtual garage for future reference. Automall request more general information and asks where you live and gives you the options of several dealers in your area that you would like to deal with. In my case I got a call within an hour for the fleet manager. After comparing carorder and automall I decided to go with automall because the prices were within a couple of hundred dollars and with automall I was dealing with a real live person. I did keep going back to the carorder virtual garage and used it as a check and balance for my dealings with the fleet manager. I found that the price is around $200 over invoice. Good luck.
    Carl
  • baditudebaditude Member Posts: 19
    I just ordered my quad with the intentions of saving $720. under invoice with $500. from farm bureau I was charged a ad fee of 479. and was also charged a addl. $247. over dodge invoice which was informed due to a price increase. I did not deal with Linda V. I think the cook deal is crooking up some profit. I was assured the msrp and invoice would reflect these increases. We will soon see or will we??????????
  • themacguythemacguy Member Posts: 417
    Where are you physically located?
  • snowedinsnowedin Member Posts: 58
    I ordered my Quad (4x4,tire&handling,limited slip) on 1/13 and the dealer placed the order on I 1/17. I was told (by DC cust. serv.) the vehicle went to "D Status" on 2/10. This was confirmed when my salesman called to give me an arrival date of the first or second week of March (depending upon our local rail freight problems). I was hoping that I didn't have a build date as I was planning on adding some extra options after learning about the Farm Bureau discount. But DC won't let you change or delete the order once it has "reached the gate". I can't guess why you don't have a build date after ordering months before me.
    My status is the exact same as balser with build date, no dealer problems, just stuck in bx status. What balser wrote sounds word for word what I was told by cust. serv. today. Placed my order 11/22. If anybody gets any good news keep us posted.
    See what i mean, seconds after my posting snowedin posts his is on the way.
  • bobcat36bobcat36 Member Posts: 5
    Just thought I would jump in and say that my dealer just called me today to tell me that I went to "D1" status with a possible delivery date of late March. I sure hope he is right, but I hope that you guys get yours before I get mine or I might feel guilty.
    Don't feel bad if you get your truck bobcat, at this stage of the game it's every man for himself, take no prisoners ect.
  • ozarkozark Member Posts: 124
    themacguy, or others, you seem to be buying stuff for your quad and I have already looked into some of the sites that you have posted. I looked at the starboard site for step-ups but I am looking for something like a tubular step with a powdered black finish. Do you know where I might look? Has anyone besides me noticed the rough/ugly bottom edge of the quad chassis? A minor flaw I guess. I called DC on friday and he says my quad is gateline but he didn't really know what that means? Low unemployment rate out there folks, hard to get good help. The previous week I talked to someone who knew what they were doing--you can tell. I got his name but when I called back the rep that answered couldn't or wouldn't connect me to him. Bookitty-- How did you get Ernie's extension? The first guy I talked to said that he could only give his out to dealers. What'd you think?
  • tlynn1tlynn1 Member Posts: 24
    Those of you that have the 2k with 4.7 and auto, please see post 108 in "Dakota tranny problems" and post your response there. Thanks.
  • damatondamaton Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2" suspension lift and a 2" body lift for
    a newer stlye 2WD Dakota. I need to sell them
    asap. My truck is a lease and I need to turn it back in. The body will fit on a 4 wheel drive reg. cab also. The suspension lift is by fabtech. email me at [email protected] with any questions. My asking price is $100.00 for the body lift (complete) and $175.00 for the suspension (with shocks)
  • ferousferous Member Posts: 226
    I don't mean to make anybody upset, but here is my schedule:
    1/26 - I placed my order
    2/3 - The dealer placed my order
    2/8 - BX
    2/14 - D
    2/16 - D1
    End of Feb build date
    3/7 Ship to dealer (scheduled)
    3/18 I'll have the check ready.
    Just in time to fly south for Spring Break and leave it in the garage. :(
    I ordered a Quad 2wd SLT 4.7 5spd 3.55lsd (no tire package) PW, PL, A/FMm Cass/CD, PW Overhead.

Day Time Running Lights - I asked about this, and my dealer gave me the card of a guy who does "custom" work on cars and trucks. He said he could add it, but I don't know the cost yet.
  • poolman57poolman57 Member Posts: 16
    I called DC today at 12:30pm CST and talked to "Preston". My truck is in D1 "Gateline" status and scheduled shipping date is 2/25. Finally! It's finally coming.

5.9, auto, 4WD, 3.92, Sport, black.

Jeff
    Just got off the phone with DC Customer Service. 4x4 Quad Cabs are on restriction again. On 2/18, I went from BX status back to BG (not available for schedule). According to the service rep, this status will hold through scheduling for the first week of March, which means the earliest build date is mid-March. She didn't say there were any specific parts restrictions other than the fact that they're not building 4x4's again. The worst part was, she tried to make excuses for the delays.

If anyone has further info - please fill me in. Those of you with build dates in the first week of March - are those dates still holding?
  • renegade69renegade69 Member Posts: 34
    Sounds like our trucks were ordered at about
    the same time, same basic specs except I wanted
    the tire handling group......I'm D-1 status with
    a 2/25 build date.
  • 2drive2drive Member Posts: 90
    My dealer said that the Chrysler rep. told him today that the restrictions are on the 4x4's because of the front axles. Chrysler did not like the quality they were getting, so they did a contract with a new supplier and all 4x4's are on indefinite hold at this time.
  • tpmiller1tpmiller1 Member Posts: 165
    Bookitty correctly indiated you don't have to buy anything, including home insurance, as a Farm Bureau member. I am curious however, the FB doesn't provide the insurance directly, In PA the affiliate is Nationwide. Who was the provider in your father's case?
    120 days of price protection left on 1/17 order. Hope it's enough...
  • tpmiller1tpmiller1 Member Posts: 165
    where the dodge is "on restriction" till '01 and the GM products that didn't wreck might as well be.
    It is up to the individual representative regarding giving out the extension number. If you cannot get a clear or decisive answer, ask to speak to a supervisor or more experienced representative. Be polite but firm. Today, I was happily elevated to D1 status with a ship date of 03/06/00. This is for a loaded Amber Fire Pearl 4X4 Quad with 4.7, 5 speed and a bunch of other options. If you are "D" or better, the restriction on 4X4 Quad Cabs will not affect the delivery. There are all types of restrictions, even for something as simple as paint. Manufacturing likes to make runs when painting, so that all vehicles of a certain color are run at the same time. A ship date only means that the vehicle is "ready" to be shipped, but could sit in a wardening or rail yard for a period of time.

Bookitty
  • joyjrjoyjr Member Posts: 3
    I see that some of you have ordered your Quad Cabs from Cook Motors in Aberdeen, MD. I would like to know about your experiences. I would especially like to here from Baditude here in this thread. I am considering ordering from them and wanted to ensure that most of you have had positive experiences.
  • amend1amend1 Member Posts: 98
    Several weeks ago someone posted a note about the "Roll N Lock" cover. I would like to know how they like it and what made them go with that one over the Roll top. Did you have to do any drilling and does the box take up a significant amount of room in the bed. Thanks in advance!! Getting ready to buy one.
  • hennehenne Member Posts: 407
    i love my roll-n-lock, its great, i like it better than the pace edwards for 2 reasons, 1. the only holes drilled are in the tailgate, the pace edwards you have to drill all along the inside of your bed railings 2. the roll-n-lock will also lock your tailgate, the pace edwards you have to buy an electric lock that works with your power locks on your truck, but if the powerlock wont work for some reason you have to take apart your tailgate handle assy to open your tailgate, once the electric lock is in, you have to disable the manual latch or you can also buy a popnlock. the roll-n-lock takes up about 7 inches of the bed, and it hangs down about 7 inches from bed rail. when it rains bad i get about 1/4 cup of water in it, so its not water tight, but it just drips along where the openings on the sides of the tailgate, in relation to the roll-n-lock.

its a great unit, best thing i have put on my truck.

good luck,

robert
    Did you go back to 'BG' status like I did, or did you get a build date? I may be wrong, but I think my problem is the 4.7/auto combo. Seems like everyone who got build dates in the latest 4x4 cycle either had 5 speeds or 5.9 auto's.

I've asked my dealer to get the district rep involved. I want price protection past 150 days and into the '01 model year in case Dodge does the Daks like the Rams and switches model years early. I also asked for a no-charge extended warranty. I figure I've waited since Thanksgiving already and it's probably another 6 weeks minimum, so Dodge owes me something for hanging around.
    There's a pretty good picture of one in the inside back cover of the April 2000 Truck Trend (Motor Trend) magazine. It's on a Patriot Blue SLT. Also shows a side view (graphic) of the top itself, plus a couple of insets with the locking mech. & 'handle' shown. I believe they've improved some of their hardware for both cold & hot climes this year. I'm impressed with their quality / detail.
  • jtjohn1jtjohn1 Member Posts: 13
    I placed my order either the last week in Jan or the first week in Feb. 2000 Dak QC SLT Driftwood 4.7L Auto 4X4, Limited Slip, Tire and Handeling Pack, every other option except the towing package, high end stereo, bucket seats, and power seat. Order is currently on D-1 Status with a approx ship date of 9 March. Anybody know approx time it takes the truck to move through the assembly line??

Thanks
    more leverage with the dealer. I ordered almost the exact same truck, even the color, 11/23 and have yet to get a build date. Hope your status holds and you get your truck.
    Just got off the phone with cust. serv. I am also back to bg status (rest.again) and can't be given a reason why. I too would like to get a warranty free or a substantial discount but it looks like the way dodge operates we will get nothing. This is my first dodge purchase and getting pretty sick of the lack of info they offer, this seems like a very poor ran company.
    You must not judge the entire company by the inability of one or two people who cannot or will not explain your status situation. Try to speak to a supervisor or more experienced representative who can explain the situation.

Bookitty
    I wish i had your patience, but this waiting game is getting very old.
    I feel your pain. Some of us (maybe you, too) waited a couple of years for the Quad to be built in the first place. And some of us, impatient to wait any longer, took delivery out of dealer stock. The results are mixed, but I wish I hadn't had a 99 tax problem & could've waited just another month or so to get exactly what I wanted. In other words I (sort of) wish I had your problem. Also, you're getting the benefit of running changes & the knowledge these Topics/Posts can bring. Remember that ANY first run vehicle is going to be a little more difficult to get hold of quickly.

All that said, if you'll trade me your overhead computer & tire/handling package, I'll go 'take care of your salesman' for you! And I'll do bookitty's for a beer. ;-))
  • catnip2377catnip2377 Member Posts: 42
    This may sound like a stupid question to some, but i was wondering that if a dealer sells a vehicle for invoice price (which is what they buy the vehicle for) they are not making any money on the vehicle... or are they? Anyone know how exactly this works? I know some dealers say they make money on servicing the vehicle after the purchase but who states you HAVE to go back to that dealership? Besided they charge you way more than most mechanic shops do.

Also, does anyone know if there is going to be any change to the '01 Dakota Model?

Thanks
    Hey Current & Future Quad Cab Owners, I was wondering about the console on the transmission hump, I know there is one for the 4X4 equipped Quad, but if I remember right, the SLT 2X4 I test drove had the console also, minus the shift lever. Do all the Quad's come equipped with this console? I haven't been able to get by a local lot to investigate. Thanks,

cowtownkid
  • jones27jones27 Member Posts: 42
    Ordered mine on the 17th of January, it came in yesterday! Went to D1 on 2/3/00. I called Chrysler about twice a week. I got mixed replies.....was told it would be built no later than 2/18/00......was told two days later that it had a build date of 4th week in Feb. On Friday, that said it was in paint, on Monday, they said it was already built and ready to ship.......I called this morning and they said it was waiting for a railcar.......I called the dealer this afternoon........he said it arrived yesterday.....

Bottom line, those people at Chrysler could be pulling your chain......when they say to hang on while they check on your order, they put you on hold to freshen their cup of coffee.....

Good Luck! Hope you guys don't have to wait much longer on the 4x4's, but my dealer said that the transport driver said he hadn't delivered (1) 4x4 yet.
  • gbilhimergbilhimer Member Posts: 53
    I have a red 4x2 QuadCab that I ordered and yes it does have the console on the tranny hump.
    I find it to be rather handy for small items such as my cellphone when it is plugged in. I also got the bench seat and prefer it over the buckets in my dad's ext. cab R/T.
  • gallen1586gallen1586 Member Posts: 33
    Cowtownkid,
    My SLT 4x2 has the console. I think all Quad cabs have this console.
    Thanks, for the input fellows, I ordered my Quad 2/7/00 with buckets and wasn't sure...Man this site is great, especially for those nagging little questions you have after you've already ordered.
This discussion has been closed.