Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Nissan Murano 2005 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    aftyafty Member Posts: 499
    The Murano is on the Altima platform, so it's not all-new.

What reliability issues with the Altima are you referring to? I haven't had any real problems with mine.
  • Options
    porknbeansporknbeans Member Posts: 465
    Thanks for the correction on the platform. There are two main reliability issues that I'm thinking of. The first is more specific, it is the recall that was issued for the airbags. The second, is more general and concerns the comments I've read here and elsewhere about electrical bugs, rattles, oil consumption and fluid leaks. I've got a '95 Altima and the electrical issue with Nissan isn't a new one. The oil consumption is something that I'm starting to see more of but haven't seen anything from Nissan. Again, the second issue is generic and yes, can happen with any platform, regardless of age. Generally though, it is something that we attribute to, and see more of, on new platforms or chasis.
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
    The Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
  • Options
    cb70cb70 Member Posts: 226
    Unfortunately that is why I'd never buy one in the first model year. I wouldn't want to be Nissan's guinea pig.
  • Options
    I think this is one incredible gizmo. I got my brochure from Nissan on the Murano the other day and the description was very intriguing. Didn't Honda have one similar to this on the Civic a few years back (still)? The brochure was pretty nice and the interior is very appealing. I have reservations about the dead spot at the C-pillar and think it would look better to have continued the sill of the window with the curve of the wheel arch. Just my opinion.
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
  • Options
    There wouldn't be any engine braking while going downhill. Not a problem for most of us but how about those mountain passes out west? We camp a lot out west and I can just imagine going all the way down a mountain with the brakes on all the way. Is there any way to get engine braking with a CTV?
  • Options
    According to Nissan they have a 7-speed manual shift mode on their "manumatic". Based on this I would think that you could brake using the transmission.
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
  • Options
    aftyafty Member Posts: 499
    Yup, they did have a CVT on the Civic HX (?) a few years back. Also on the old Subaru Justy. And the '02 Honda Insight has a CVT as an option. However, the new generation of CVTs like Nissan's and Audi's are the first to be able to handle larger amounts of torque.
  • Options
    scottva22scottva22 Member Posts: 26
    You may want to reconsider not opting for the VDC. I have an '04 SL AWL w/touring and VDC and I'm glad I have it:

http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lists/esc_cars/

Upper right hand corner, under "plus" has the full article on the benefits of Electronic Stability Control systems.
  • Options
    implicitimplicit Member Posts: 41
    All that you have mentioned has NOTHING to do with the platform! My Altima does not have anyleaks and no rattles. And guess what? It was made in August!
  • Options
    diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    Has a problem: Chrysler didn't work hard enough to separate it from its minivans.

I take a look at the Murano and say "SUV poseur."
    The Pacifica screams "Minivan."
  • Options
    artdechoartdecho Member Posts: 337
    Hopefully Nissan will have better luck with their CVT than Saturn's VUE, which still hasn't got it right. Also, the Murano will have a whole lot more power coursing through it than Saturn's 4-banger, so we'll have to wait & see.
  • Options
    I'm glad that you're car is treating you well. In my opinion the air bag issue and the other complaints can be linked to the new Altima platform. If you believe that teething problems with a new platform don't exist because your car doesn't have any that's your opinion. To me the comments I've been hearing about dashes rattling, oil being consumed, the air bag tsb, and several other issues can be attributed to parts being put together on a new platform. Parts that may in their own right be very reliable, but when connected, meshed, programmed together in a new way sometimes fail. If you wish me to research some problems that are associated with new platforms I'm sure that in a very short time I could come up with a fairly lengthy laundry list of manufacturers and platforms...including Nissan. I'm not trying to bring down the Altima, I like the car and I'm even considering it as a replacement. Nor am I wishing ill on the Murano, I'm not, I hope it sells well, just not to me. New platforms generally have problems, if you don't agree with that statement, that is your opinion I beg to differ.
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
  • Options
    troyy2ktroyy2k Member Posts: 91
    What type of fuel does Nissan recommend for the Murano - Premium vs Regular?
  • Options
    sunbu95sunbu95 Member Posts: 17
    CR website consumerreports.com, visited the NY auto show, like I did. I posted before, but to recap, I thought the interior looked great. And the dimensions are 2-4 inches wider and longer than my Pathfinder. CR called Murano a high or tall station wagon and estimated the retail price at 30K.
  • Options
    Looks like Nissan has a real yawner here....4 months to launch and not much interest....the Pilot will blow it away anyway.......they should've concentrated on the X-Trail, which at least is competitive with the new CR-V....
  • Options
    coming here. I think the Murano is a flop waiting to happen. Here in Iowa the Nissan lots are jammed full of 2002 X-Terra's. Someone has got to notice that besides me. BTW artdecho, I got to sit in and check out an X-Trail while in Ireland. I even got a brochure! They have a 2.0 diesel option with a 6 speed manual transmission. Very nice. Maybe a touch slow off the line for East and West coasters but here in the sticks it would do just fine.
  • Options
    Sales of the Pathy are doing relatively ok so far. Is it a possibility that the Murano (hate the name) is the replacement for the Pathfinder? And then the X-Trail will be brought in as the replacement for the X-Terra. It's ready to be replaced anyway. Finally, there has been talk about an Expedition/Tahoe fighter from Nissan. Will it be a new truck altogether, yet carry the Pathfinder name?
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
  • Options
    It's just a matter of time before Nissan offers an entry level, unibody SUV to compete with the CRV, Escape, RAV4, and VUE's of North America. I call Nissan of America about once a month to bug them about the X-Trail. Just trying to keep the pressure on them.
  • Options
    I think Nissan's full size SUV will only come out if that Alpha T truck can sell in decent numbers (I don't think it will).
  • Options
    I agree with your comment about sales of the Alpha T. IMO, the Alpha T is pretty darn ugly. As somebody commented on another board, there is something about putting round tires in square wheel wells. However, I don't think that will stop Nissan from introducing a full size SUV. With sales of expeditions/suburbans et. al. still going strong, I don't think Nissan can not control the impulse to get involved. Just my opinion.
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
  • Options
    Nissan must be miffed that there are only 120 posts for their rolling glass sculpture compared to 2500 for the Honda Pilot and a whopping 6000 for the Toyota Highlander. If it's priced at or above these vehicles, it's gonna tank for sure.
  • Options
    crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    ...I'll but it for sure. But yes, there is very minimal interest for this vehicle.
  • Options
    On...the...button. Seating on the Murano is it's Achilles' heel. It has styling, power, nice interior, etc., etc., but it only has seating for 4, maybe 5. Yes, the Highlander has seating for 5, but it also looks like it has more storage room. The Highlander has also been on the market for a couple of years, which will attest to its number of posts. IMO, Nissan needs to answer the Pilot, not the Highlander.
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
  • Options
    Do you know what a platform is? What does that have to do with the interior pieces or an air bag? The air bag sensor is an electronic component its problem has nothing to do with the platform. So also the if the dash is not put together right then it's going to rattle or squeak or both. The only contibution the platform has to causing a problem with squeeks and rattles is th fact that the car does go from a point A to B and between those points are bumps, potholes, and other things that will shake the car and this happens with all platforms old ad new.
  • Options
    Let me assure everyone that Nissan will build the Full Size SUV AND Truck. Heck! They might even build the SUV first! Remember they're not building a billiondollar plant with a capacity for 250,000 vehicles for nothing. I think Nissan has a good a chance as Toyota to sell as Many Trucks as they can. Toyota is basically just as new o the segment a Nissan would be. Toyota had te T100 but with Tundra it's almost like a clean slate.

I agree about Murano though. I'm disappointed that it's only a litte bigger then Pathfinder when it should be alot bigger maybe not 7 passenger big but Pathfinder is old and small and about to get redesigned. Why minimize Murano because of the current Pathfinder? Plus that front end grill is ugly. But then again Highlander has no trouble selling, same goes for the old RX300 and Pathfinders sales are steady after 7 years.
  • Options
    Sorry, I had difficulty in following your pointed disagreement with my post from almost a month ago. Yes, I do know what a platform is and I see it differently. You're entitled to your opinion and I've got mine.
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
  • Options
    Has anybody seen photos of the Muarano in any other color besides that burnt-orange color? If so, please post the links here.
  • Options
    implicit- The T100 didn't even make a dent in sales of trucks from the Big3. The Tundra, while it sells much more than the T100, along with the Sequioa, still do not lure too many customers away from GM and Ford.

Nissan better have a plan B to recover the costs of that billion dollar plant if the Alpha T follows in the footsteps of the T100.
  • Options
    Porknbeans

Sorry I don't come here as often as you do. There is really no argument about what a platform is. How can it be an opinion? When automakers talk about a platform they are talking about the base of the car not engine and most times not chasis either. Nissan has the FM and FF-L platform. GM has their new epsilon RWD platform or whatever it's called. Nissans says G35 and Z are based on the FM platform, Altima and Murano are based on the FF-L platform. Notice has these cars share no interor pieces or even sheetmetal. So now can you tell me how a interior pieces are one of the many parts of a new platform? I think the better term would be NEW MODEL.

Diploid

Thats what I was implying. T100 never sold well so now with Tundra it's almost like a fresh start. Nissan will have as good of a chance as Toyota sellng a full size truck. Besides if the truck doesn't do well they can always build more Altimas there.
  • Options
    berg32berg32 Member Posts: 56
    Has anyone seen specs on Murano headroom and legroom, front and rear? When will it be available in the US, really? In what city will it likely be available first? thanks!
  • Options
    zorglubzorglub Member Posts: 79
    Sorry to be mean, but I'm one of those guys who was hoping for the X-Trail. I also e-mail Nissan US to let them know that I was interested, and I was given the same B.S. answer as everybody else. Now, if the brains at Nissan US can't even listen to their customers, that's really their pb.
    In the end, there are now three kind of SUVs, the mini (CRV, Escape, RAV 4, etc.) that seats four/five, the medium size (Pilot, Explorer, etc.) that seats 7 (in a pinch, but 7 nonetheless) and the full size (Expy, Sequoia, Tahoe, etc.) that seats the whole football team and its gear.

The Murano does not fit in any of these categories and therefore will not do well. Hopefully, somebody at Nissan is reading this board, and will figure it out. One can only hope...

It's too bad, as I would love for Honda to have some competition to their Pilot, that would limit the ongoing gouging.
  • Options
    ttlttlttlttlttlttl Member Posts: 24
    I'm another one who favors X-Trail over Murando. Are you listening, Nissan!?
  • Options
    reading my e-mails anymore. I get this same canned response.

Dear Cory,

Thank you for contacting Nissan North America, Inc. and allowing us the
    opportunity to be of assistance.

Thank you for your comments.

If you have any further questions or comments, please feel free to
    us

In my last e-mail I even asked them if they bother to read what they get and that response was all I got. I not only hope Murano flops, I am quite certain it will. All you have to do is look at the posts on this topic and how dead it is to see that this Murano (Morono) is going to be killed by the Pilot and undercut pricewise by the Pacifica and Cross Trainer. All of which seat more than 5. Who the heck is doing market research at Nissan of America?
  • Options
    As the one who started the "X-Trail: We want it!"
    discussion, you know where my vote is. The only thing positive I can say about the Morono is the fact that it;s "car-based" as opposed to "truck-based". But is seems more of a "stylish" competitor for the Lexus RX-300 (and should probably be marketed by Infiniti) than a vehicle of substance to go head to head with the Highlander and Pilot. In the meantime, Nissan is STILL IGNORING the car-based CR-V/Escape/Forester
    Santa Fe/RAV-4/Tribute market by not giving us the X-Trail. I guess Nissan really has their head in the sand on this one, so there's no point reminding them that we want an economical, practical, sensibly-sized, car-based SUV with both good performance and good gas mileage. That vehicle, sold everywhere else in the world but here, is THE X-TRAIL. The low # of Morono posts
    (together with the fact that many of them, in fact are X-Trail related) should be a wake-up call for Nissan........but I guess they're still asleep at the switch.......
  • Options
    93fsu193fsu1 Member Posts: 97
    Anyone heard any more difinitive dates to expect these in showrooms other than "sometime in the fall"?
  • Options
    On Sale: November 2002
  • Options
    lspangler1lspangler1 Member Posts: 68
    Being in the auto industry I find some of the comments in here pretty comical. While I can't tell you exactly what Nissan is coming out with in the future, i don know they have about 30 new vehicles planned in the next 5 years. Some of these are replacements for current vehicles and some are new all together. I haven't seen the new full size yet but I will get to see it soon, the first prototype build is slated to start in July but they are being put together in Japan. I haven't seen a breakdown on when the SUV and pickup are supposed to be released but I think the SUV is first next summer with the pick up in the fall. We were quoting parts for a 5.5L V-8 but I haven't heard anything else. One of the engineers has told me that it looks nothing like the Alpha T and that it looks something like a re-styled F-150.
  • Options
    skredberryskredberry Member Posts: 1
    Given the specs on this, it appears to be just about right as far as height and overall size. I went out to see a Lexus Sportcross and was highly disappointed that I could not fit my dog in the miniscule "trunk" area. What's kept me an anti-SUV driver is the pathetic handling of most (Escape, Liberty, etc.), and the sluggish acceleration. If I want to take a curve that's posted at 25mph at 45mph, I want to be in a vehicle where I don't have to worry about the weight shift halfway through the curve. I want the thing to take off when my foot says go. If I feel like weaving through traffic, I'd better be able to. I'll have to see how much pickup it has, so that maybe the Infiniti FX 45 counterpart might be the better option.
  • Options
    meca2meca2 Member Posts: 284
    How do you feel about Nissan's new car? Most here don't seem to impressed. My understanding is that Nissan went about as far as they could go with the current Pathfinder and this is just a new generation and just slightly larger that the current PF-with a new name? If I may....What part of the auto industry are you in?
  • Options
    pschreckpschreck Member Posts: 524
    What are you X-Trail guys so upset about? The Murano is so much nicer than a Pilot. It looks a lot nicer than a MDX. The interior is fantastic. I'd love to talk the wife into trading the Outback in for a Murano.

Hey Nissan, if you're reading this, keep up the good work.
  • Options
    daveghhdaveghh Member Posts: 495
    This is what they said about the Xtrail....

"Dear Dave,

Thank you for contacting Nissan North America, Inc. and allowing us the
    opportunity to be of assistance.

We apologize but confirmation of exporting the X.-trail to the U.S. has not
    been released for distribution. At this point we can not confirm this
    information.

If you have any further questions or comments, please feel free to e-mail
    us.

Sincerely,

Daniel Montoya, Sr.
    National Consumer Affairs"

It sounds to me like they are thinking about releasing it!
  • Options
    Just got a brochure in the mail on the Murano. What's strange is that I just ordered it on the Nissan website YESTERDAY. I have to believe that I was targeted for this mailing prior to yesterday.

I have to say that the Murano is beautiful. Great lines. Beautiful interior. Powerful engne. It's just what Nissan needed to compete with the Highlander and MDX/Pilot.
  • Options
    petra02petra02 Member Posts: 33
    Is it just me, folks, or does the Murano look sort of like a Gremlin? I mean, check out the D-Pillar. It's a dead giveaway...

Irregardless, I think the Murano will sell well here in Canada. Though Nissan doesn't offer a critical-to-the-Canadian-market Minivan, they've managed the next best thing: A Crossover. We'll have to see, though, how it fares against the champ: Chrysler's Pacifica.
  • Options
    I like the overall shape, but I think the front end is a bit too radical for my tastes. I actually think the RX300 is still the best looking mid-size car-based luxo-suv out there, after all these years.
  • Options
    I don't see a Gremlin in there anywhere. I think it's one of the best looking vehicles I've seen in a long time. Of course I've only seen photos, but the lines appear to be great.

As for the Chrysler, well that says it all, it's a Chrysler. I'll pray for those that succumb to the allure.
  • Options
    crashslammercrashslammer Member Posts: 8
    I think the Nissan did a great job with the design details of the Murano. I know many will disagree and pronounce the exterior too avant-garde and perhaps curvaceously feminine, but Nissan is canny to make the Murano distinctively different from every other blocky SUV/crossover Hummer imitator on the market. And the interior is definitely spot-on in terms of mixing sportiness with luxury.

But having said all of that, I think Nissan missed the boat on the space utilization of the interior. Having looked at the interior specs of the Murano at freshalloy.com, I disappointed at the cargo capacity. The passenger space looks up to par with the competition, but the actual cargo area sucks. Only 32.6 cu. ft. with the rear seats up and 70.8 cu. ft. with the seats down? That's equal to a Honda CR-V or a Ford Escape, both ten to fifteen inches shorter that the Murano. The 70.8 cu. ft. is even less than the Nissan's own Pathfinder (85 cu. ft) which has smaller exterior dimensions. I guess those exterior curves penalize space.

Nissan probably has clinicked the Murano buyer as one who's more interested in design than cargo space. But isn't cargo space the main reason why most car buyers choose a SUV/crossover? (OK, other than towing capability.) That's why I predict a lot of potential SUV/crossover buyers in the Muranos $27-35K price range will pass up the Murano simply on the criteria of cargo capacity.

I'm in the market right now for a SUV/crossover, and I have to say that the Murano strikes me as a little too small. I think Honda hit the right size with the Pilot- that's why it's selling like hotcakes. Nissan worked its magic on the Altima (now larger than the 2002 Accord); why couldn't they manage with the almost clean-sheet Murano?

OK, I have to admit that most of those SUV/crossovers are unrelentingly plain and boring to look at (the Toyota Highlander is the worst offender), but hey, I need to be practical. That's probably why, considering the choices of SUV/crossovers available this fall (I don't think the Toyota 4Runner replacement will make it this year), working with a budget of approximately $32K, and considering reliability and performance issues of said vehicles, I'll probably end up with a Pilot. But I have to admit, the Pilot looks like toaster on four wheels.
  • Options
    I have to agree with most of what you're saying. For us though the Murano would be a replacement for the wifes Outback. We have a Sequoia for the cargo stuff. So what we want is something that's more comfortable for four people and more powerful than the Outback, but smaller than the Sequoia. We want more style and sportiness than the Pilot or the Highlander but with AWD , unlike most sedans. I don't care for the MDX/Pilot because I believe that the AWD system is kind of goofy. Who knows, maybe we'll end up with a Maxima if they offer AWD like I've heard they will.

What I'm saying is that there is a market for the Murano, but it's unlikely that Nissan will get rich on it.
  • Options
    nnhssreekanthnnhssreekanth Member Posts: 1
    How much will it be????
    How fAst will it be???
    It does look allot like the lexus though ?

When is it set to be released???/
  • Options
    tlrhlrtlrhlr Member Posts: 17
    Got a glimps of two, one in Long Beach on the 405 and the other on a side street in So. Orange County Cal. Both were silver. Looks better than I expected, has a muscular look about it which might set it apart from the conservative, mid-size pack. Doesn't seem to be much interest in this thing.....
  • Options
    Possibly the reason there isn't very much interest is because people are having a hard time figuring out what sets the Murano apart. Nissan calls it an "urban SUV", but what it really looks like is an AWD wagon (ie Volvo XC70, Audi A6 Avant, etc). Yes, it does have some SUV styling cues, but it still looks like a wagon to me. If that is the case why should I buy it over the competition? Even if I do choose it will it be worth the premium that they will charge? We don't know because we don't know the price, driving dynamics or dimensional specifics. You're one of the only people I've heard of who has actually seen one. So, let me ask you...about how big is it? How tall did it ride? Did it look like the pics or better/worse? What type of tires did it look like, passenger or light truck? Any other comments other than what I've asked or you've written that you can think of?
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
This discussion has been closed.