Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Murano 2005 and earlier

Comments

• iamsamiamsam Member Posts: 12
    The same reason you said Pilot is a 5 + 2 half seater. Murano is 4 + 1 half seater.
  • porknbeansporknbeans Member Posts: 465
    Your description made me chuckle...sort of like a blind date who has a "nice personality" or the "unique" casserole that the wife just made. Hopefully, the "futuristic" styling of the Murano won't hurt it. There certainly isn't much activity regarding it (yet?).

BTW, I think that the FX45 is Nissan/Infinity's competition for BMW and MB. The Murano is against the Highlander types.
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
    The Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    That's an, er, "interesting" post.

:-)

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • andrews928andrews928 Member Posts: 64
    Actually I did this with a Lexus SC430 in 2000 without a problem.

First, yes the deposit is refundable but I'm sure that varies for dealer to dealer. I'm first (and only) on the waiting list at this point. What should happen is when the first car comes in they call me, if I don't like it they would offer it to the next person on the list. When the 2nd vehicle comes in I am the first person in line again to be offered the vehicle. It just keeps going like this until I cancel or pick a car.

I don't see any risk unless your dealing with a sleezy dealer. Make sure the deposit is refundable and you are not bound by contract to accept the car.
    When the Odyssey first came out, buyers who turned down the van when it came in because they didn't like the color or whatever, usually got put at the bottom of the list. Prospective buyers tended to get on two or three lists too!

Steve
    Host
    I have an RX300 that I probably will replace with the Murano. The RX300 is not a true 5 seater or "cargo hauler" yet they sell a ton of them.
    Steve,

I guess anything is possible with car dealers but my local dealer appears to be honest. I just think there is so much competition if I feel I'm getting the run around if I refuse the first or 2nd vehicle I'll just buy something else.
  • diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    Andrew - but the RX300 has the Lexus name going for it. People will buy anything with a Merchandise, BowelMW, and Leasexus emblem on it.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,494
    The latest issue of MT had a preview section, and they called it a 4 seater. I assume that the rear seat is designed as 2 buckets with a big hump inbetween, but it will be classified based on the number of seatbelts.

The Pilot is a family station wagon/minivan for people that wouldn't be caught dead driving a wagon or van, and will never take it off road, and probably don't need AWD anyway.

The Murano seems to be a sporty car for people who would normally get a sports sedan, but for whatever reason need (or think they need) to sit up high, have some utility or need AWD.

Maybe they should call it 5DSW (5 door sport wagon).

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• a_l_hubcapsa_l_hubcaps Member Posts: 518
    Does anyone know if the Murano is truly a four seater, with only four seating positions and four belts? I was under the impression that this was indeed the case with both the Murano and the FX45.

If these vehicles do have a sort-of fifth seating position and a fifth belt in the center rear, I consider that a big plus. Although you wouldn't want to ride in the center rear on a regular basis in most vehicles, having a belt there comes in really handy in a pinch. For that matter, my wagon is an 8-passenger (3-3-2)...I've never used the center front seat, but it's nice to have it there in case I really needed it.

-Andrew L
    Nissan refers to the Murano as having "first clase seating" for 2 couples but enough room for 4 passengers. Several previews indicate it is a 5 seat SUV but like I mentioned before my RX300 can probably seat 5 adults like the Murano but maybe not on long trips(like the Murano)
  • philly2002philly2002 Member Posts: 41
    Is the Murano produced in Asia or the US?
  • aftyafty Member Posts: 499
    I believe the Murano will be produced in Japan.
  • ambuonoambuono Member Posts: 15
    thanks for the info. I'll probably visit my local dealer soon to see what they say.
  • philly2002philly2002 Member Posts: 41
    The Murano is built on many similar characterisitcs as the Altima. For starters, how 'bout the engine? Its the same. Platform? Suspension? Do you see what I'm trying to get at? Well, the truth of the matter is, who cares? I care b/c if the trouble at the ports continue, we will begin to see major import/export problems facing the industry; American buyers will be grateful to those Japanese nameplates produced on US soil. So the final question remains: Which country is producing a better quality vehicle? US or Japan?
  • pbhattipbhatti Member Posts: 87
    For the first year the Murano will be built in Japan and shipped to here. After that it will be built in Nissan's Canton, Mississippi plant.

Also you can seat five people in the Murano:

http://a298.g.akamai.net/7/298/5382/091202134800/www.imakenews.com/autospies/word _images/8861254_image007.jpg

Remove the space

Here's the spaceless link :-)

Steve

Host

• pathfinder13pathfinder13 Member Posts: 110
    Hey guys if you live in southern cali, go visit by Gardena Nissan. They have couple of Muranos for display.
  • sean48sean48 Member Posts: 37
    If anyone has an opportunity to visit Gardena Nissan, could you take a few photographs to give us a sense of the interior room and storage capacity behind the rear seat?

I'm seriously considering the Murano as an alternative to the new 4Runner Limited (great truck, but I don't really need a truck, and I'm starting to have second thoughts about having to feed a V-8 engine). Also under consideration is the Volvo XC 90, but it's likely to be the priciest of the three.

If you visit, could you also try to get some information on expected availability of the Murano (it seems to be "drifting" farther and farther into the future) and any other info that might be available (price range, fuel mileage, equipment levels, etc.).

I think the Murano is a really nice looking tall wagon (not really an SUV) with a lot of great features (DVD navigation, CVT transmission). I'm going to have to get a new vehicle before Thanksgiving, however, so I can't wait forever for it to hit the dealerships.

Thanks for any info you can gather.
  • kullenbergkullenberg Member Posts: 283
    Also- try and get some technical specs on the 4wd system, traction control, etc. Nissan is not telling a thing; they are just letting it lay there! The upshot is that interest is just going to die; then they will launch the thing , in whenever, and nobody will care! It's, frankly gone to the bottom of my list; not because it's not a good vehicle, but because there is so much else coming on to the market.
    They're actually doing what's called "stealth marketing," i.e. have Muranos drive around all over the country for people to go "What's that?" as opposed to the traditional billboard/magazine ad/TV commercials. They're actually not letting it lay there. The more interest they garner, the more attention the Murano will receive when Nissan does air the traditional billboard/magazine ad/TV commercials.
    Hey, maybe Nissan can send me a "I'd rather be driving a Murano" license plate holder for my Quest.

Even better, they can send me a Murano and I can casually drop its name twelve times a day in everyday conversation....

Steve
    Host
  • geenancegeenance Member Posts: 7
    Stealth marketing will work to a certain extent....but only as long as Nissan has the time lead before more crossover vehicles come out and then provides the information that people need to determine whether or not they are truly interested in the vehicle.

A colleague of mine saw a Murano driving on the expressway near Toronto and did a "What's that??". That's what got me looking at the vehicle for possible purchase. But now there seems to be a lack of information (e.g. amount of interior space) which has me assuming the worst.
  • linzybellinzybel Member Posts: 17
    Diploid,

Just wondering if you're sure about the stealth marketing in this case, or are you just speculating? I know it's a bona fide strategy; I'm curious whether you have inside information or you are just making an educated guess.

In either case, my wife, two kids, a dog and I would be happy to be part of the, uh, anti-Pilot pilot program if they need someone in Connecticut, 06039. We're already on Nissan's Murano mailing list.

Raz
  • kullenbergkullenberg Member Posts: 283
    Is there such a thing? I'll join!! I became so ticked off during the intro of the Honda Pilot, at the blatant price gouging of the Honda dealers. Then I discovered it also included the Acura dealers, as well. Plus they were stone walling customers that had problems. I think Honda makes a pretty good product; I've owned several, and they have been trouble free. I was fortunate in that the dealer I had was a gem, but he was apparently a rarity. I've never owned a Nissan product, but have rented several recent Maximas, and have been impressed, particularly with the engines. That has to be one of the smoothest V6's out there. I think they must understate the power; some sort of Japanese regulation or other, because it feels like more than advertised.
    Cheers
    Pat
    linzybel,

Pure speculation.
  • gandhim3gandhim3 Member Posts: 191
    If I may jump in here. I was a regular on the Infiniti G35 sedan discussion board on Edmunds. About a six months ago, I had the same complaint with Infiniti about their "stealth marketing" approach on the G35 for a car that I thought (and still do) represented a tremendous value in the sports sedan class. And before that, I had the same complaints on stealth marketing when the (then) new Altima sedan was coming out.

I do not think Nissan is clueless when it comes to marketing - give them a bit more credit then that. What I think is happening is that Nissan/Infiniti is limited in its marketing funding for its cars. There was an article in AdAge magazine in the Fall of last year that compared the advertising budget of the Camry against the Altima. Both cars were introduced a complete redesigns at about the same time last year, but had vastly different budgets. If I remember the numbers correctly, Nissan planned to spend ~ $150 million in the Altima intro, while Toyota planned to spend more than $450 million over the same time period. Hence, my misguided preception "stealth marketing" for the Altima.

What I am trying to say is that Nissan, just coming back from the brink of bankruptcy, is being very cautious on its SG&A spending. Unlike Toyota and Honda, they do not have "guaranteed" sales on new products they introduced. Having been already burned twice (Altima and G35) on the "stealth marketing" issue and seeing what they did there, I would venture to say that you will start seeing adverts and other marketing once the actual product is in healthy (NOT abundant) supply in dealer showrooms. And I commend both Nissan and Infiniti for not gouging customers on their new products. They may not budge much from MSRP for the Altima and the G35, but atleast they do not have obscene markeups!

Finnally, on to the issue of size and price. As someone posted a picture earlier, the Murano will seat five in a pinch. Small size is not stopping Toyota from selling tons of Highlanders, 4Runners and RX300s. You want lots of room in your SUV? Ford is still selling Excursions, atleast for a year.

And the price? Since it is based on the Altima chassis, I believe it will start at around ~$25K for a basic 2WD model, and climb to ~$35K for full the fully optioned version. Just my conjecture, but seeing how Nissan priced the Altima and G35 compared to their respective competition, I do not think Nissan will sell a competitor to the Highlander at a price starting at $35K.

Thanks for reading.
  • a_l_hubcapsa_l_hubcaps Member Posts: 518
    gandhim3-

If they can start the Murano at $25K, they might have something here. All this talk of it being a $35K vehicle to compete with the BMW and Lexus entries seems a little improbable to me. Isn't that what the Infiniti FX45 is supposed to be doing?

-Andrew L
  • anathananathan Member Posts: 3
    hi all,
    I do find the Murano appealing.My question is the interior cargo space..I surf and cycle alot,so I need a vehicle where I can fold down the rear seats and have an interior bike attatchment for the cargo area,while my surfboards go on top.i would buy the Murano in a second if it had the capacity to do this.I know the Xterra can,but a 2 ton truck just doesnt do it for me as i will never go off road.Any news on the functionality of the cargo area??
  • cb70cb70 Member Posts: 226
    Cargo capacity ------seats up ------ seats down

Murano ------ 32.6 cu. ft. ------ 70.8cu. ft.

Rav 4 ------ 29.2 cu. ft. ------68 cu. ft.

Highlander ------ 38.5cu ft. ------ 81 cu. ft.
  • dstinydstiny Member Posts: 12
    The Murano seems close to the cargo capacity of my Explorer Sport, which gives you 34.4 cu. ft. seats up and 70.0 cu. ft. seats down.

I can load an awful lot in my Explorer with those seats down, so much that I have never felt it was lacking. Of course, it's no Expedition, but for most daily tasks and the occasional vacation, the Sport just swallows everything.

I'm sure the Murano would fill the bill just as well and be a whole lot more refined and stable than my beast.
  • rick414rick414 Member Posts: 2
    The Nissan Murano has caught my eye. I have been looking for a replacement for my SUV, and I think I have just found it. I will be taking a test drive(s) as soon as my dealer(s) give me a call at the end of the month.

The 70 cf cargo volume does not bother me. My Explorer Sport could not have much more than that, and I have gone to a lot of NASCAR races with it. Camping requires a lot of cases, coolers, food and bedding.

Take a look at the Infiniti FX45. Except for the 4.5 l V-8, +300 bhp, liquid mercury paint, chrome exhaust and the 9.5 inch navi screen, the Nissan has it all for $10,000 less. (I do not believe the FX45 will have 21 inch wheels.) The only thing I would change on the Murano is the front grill. It should be body-colored. I will paint the damm thing if I have to! The +240 bhp should be +250 bhp. It is a heavy vehicle. It needs the added power.

I love the interior. The brick-colored leather is M3 through and through. Is it pleathor? (How many poor Plethors must die?!) The aluminum is cool. Is the Bose system a six disc changer? It should be. Dump the cassette. This is a near-luxury SUV. Let us add a nose mask and a front brush guard to make this an Urban Assault Vehicle. Hehe

Here is to the Murano buyers. I am sure I will be one of the few guys in Nashville driving one. Knowing me, I will throw headers, K&N and an exhaust on it just to add 30 bhp. Air shocks would be nice, too. Orange? I would prefer metallic blue or BMW M3 off silver (FX45 color).
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I'm sure you don't mind - I cleaned up the board a little!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
    I called two Nissan dealers in my area and they both said that the Murano would be available at their dealerships sometime late Nov or early Dec. Is this what everyone else is hearing?
  • rick414rick414 Member Posts: 2
    Ambuono,

The official release date was scheduled for the end of November. My local dealer told me that he would have five in at the end of this month.

I find this hard to believe, considering that Nissan has done no advertising and hasn't e-mailed anything other than "we will let you know."

This stealth advertising and lack of magazine reviews is very annoying. There can only be a few reasons for it. First, they may have wanted to keep the details secret from their competitors, thus delaying their development times. Second, they may not want to detract from their 350Z debut and advertising campaign (which I haven't even seen on TV yet). Third, they ain't ready yet.

My Acura TL-S was delayed over three months, and they still had problems. The Murano and the FX45 moved from auto show concepts to production vehicles in less than two years. The 350Z has taken three years, if memory serves. That is a pretty short development time, even if the cars do have a proven drivetrain. Look at the M45. Where the heck did that come from? Stealth.

Rick
  • haironghairong Member Posts: 153
    The first 2003 model year auto show (CIAS) is now open to the public in Anaheim, CA, (http://www.autoshowusa.com/anaheim/). Nissan Murano should be on display. Can any of you south-californians go down there and interrogate the Nissan people for more detail on Murano (price/availability/more spec)? Anything you can get out of Nissan would be very much appreciated on this board. Thanks in advance.

BTW, that web site totally sucks. They have nothing besides schedules.
  • anathananathan Member Posts: 3
    is this car ever going to get here???
    just out of curiousity,does anyone know the apx weight??thank you

Allan
    I'll just add my voice the the chorus of frustration over lack of information on the Murano. I've been interested in it since its unveiling last Spring, but the lack of concrete information is frustrating. I'm planning to buy a new car in weeks, not months, and would really like to see and drive the Murano, but this car seems to be little more than "vapor ware."

If there is anyone with real info...like a solid availability date, equipment levels and pricing, could you please share this with us?

It's kind of weird to be "begging" a manufacturer to share information on a product they have already announced.

Thanks.
  • mikelevine64mikelevine64 Member Posts: 39
    I spoke to my brother in law (works for Nissan in MI)today, he told me Nissan is having problems with the Murano. Nissan has been doing durability testing in AZ & CA. Having trouble with the new Auto. Transmission and the AWD systems. Nissan is holding back release until late Dec. or Jan 2003 to correct problems. 1100 Murano have been made & are pending update fixes
    I just read an article in a Pittsburg business mag that indicated the Murano will not be available until late this year or early next year. Kind of confirms the previous post. Also the estimated price was $ 27-$ 30,000. (Lets hope giving the car is so close to the release date the estimated price is accurate.
    Thanks to all for the recent posts about the availability of the Murano. Being that my time frame for a new car is also weeks and not months, it seems like the logical thing to do is forget about the Murano for now. If they are having problems with the vehicle as well then that makes the decision that much easier. I will re-evaluate the Murano sometime next year.
  • newcreaturenewcreature Member Posts: 4
    Need your input. My wife's minivan comes off lease 11/28 so we need a new SUV soon. My 15 y.o. daughter wants us to get a Hyundai Santa Fe ($21-$25K) Then when she goes to college she can take it. I was leaning towards a used Tahoe ($25-$31K). Big, powerful, ski trips, possibly tow a boat, etc. But now I'm interested in this new Murano. If it's really going to go for $30K I'd wait for it. But, if it's going to go up to $36-$40K with leather & amenities I'll pass. Any thoughts?
    Thanks for this update. Since I'm in the market now, this delay will eliminate the Murano from my list of choices. Best of luck to those who can wait for the eventual appearance of this vehicle.
  • pschreckpschreck Member Posts: 524
    I, personally, would avoid a used GM product unless they are throwing in a heck of a warranty. Even then it would have to be a vehicle that I could do without for the time it would be in the shop. And it WILL be in the shop. You could probably find a used 4Runner in that price range and it would be reliable. The Murano is certainly interesting and very nice looking. My guess is that you need to figure out what you want the vehicle to do and go from there. There is, after all, a tremendous difference between a Tahoe and a Santa Fe. Good luck.
  • TakaTaka Member Posts: 4
    Going 405 south yesterday in Orange County, CA.
    Looks much better in person than what's shown on pictures here and on C&D magazine.

I had my mind set on Acura MDX to be purchased next year but not so sure anymore.

Murano looked aufully cool.

By the way, the plate was "dist" license plate so maybe it's one of those durability test mentioned above?
  • gandhim3gandhim3 Member Posts: 191
    More info should be available soon, since The Car Connection is reporting that Nissan just did a press preview of the Murano. I am sure they also allowed test drives. I would start looking at First Drives and Preview reports popping up in a couple of weeks at Internet sites.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=5444&sid=173&n=156

P.S. The Car Connection also has spy shots of the Infiniti FX45 SUV, and it looks amazinly close to the concept shown earlier this year at Detroit.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=5438&sid=178&n=156

The New York Times says "the company plans to introduce a sport utility vehicle, the Murano, and three new Infiniti models before March 31."

link.

Steve, Host

• thill381thill381 Member Posts: 64
    The last release date I heard was in Aug and at that time it was going to be late Dec before they would ship. Nissan is using a Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) in the Murano witch is a first for Nissan. They have been having some "issues" with the CVT and this has forced them to postpone the release date. While at NNA I was able to sit in and explore the Murano, the Infiniti G coupe, and M45. Nissan has some very exciting product coming out and in the next few years should be back to where they where in the 80's as the top selling Asian import in the US.
  • robync_03110robync_03110 Member Posts: 3
    My local Nissan dealer told me today that the release may not be until next Spring or Next Fall. I will save up and wait because this is the most exciting vehicle I have ever seen (and it makes me feel really good inside when I look at it)..which is a first in a long time..and I look a lot!
This discussion has been closed.