Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Corolla Basic Maintenance Questions

Comments

• alkoalko Member Posts: 13
    Here is an answer I got from TOYOTA.COM -

> In response to your first concern regarding the oil level on
    > your dipstick when adding oil to your Corolla, it is important
    > to remember that the amount listed in the Owner's Manual should
    > be treated as a reference, and you should alwayd go by the
    > dipstick level. When maintaining your oil, before putting
    > last 1/2 quart we recommend that you start the engine so that
    > the oil will also be circulating and filling the filter.
    > You should then turn the engine of, measure the dipstick,
    > and pour in the last 1/2 quart gradually.
    >
    > In response to your second concern regarding whether or not
    > the 2003 Corolla requires a drain plug gasket, the Corolla
    > did come equipped with a fibre plug from the factory,
    > so if you can not find it we suggest you contact your
    > local dealer and purchase another one.
  • LuzerLuzer Member Posts: 119
    Earl changed for my Vibe.
    About 3 qts, plus a little.

Started by putting in 3 qts.
    Ran around a little, check dip after a little cool down.

Needed to add about a quarter quart max.
    I usually do not add if it's in the upper third of the low and high markers.
  • rmui1rmui1 Member Posts: 48
    From what I understand, too much engine oil can be very damaging. If oil level gets above crank rotation path, the crank will beat on and aerate the oil causing lubrication problems. At least that's how I understand what was explained.
  • chris_7777chris_7777 Member Posts: 1
    I'd like to change the oil/filter myself, but how will you prove you did it for future warranty claims (hopefully not needed)? Only the certified shops would give you appropriate documentation. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    keep the recipts for the filter and oil and write the mileage on them when I do the change.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• LuzerLuzer Member Posts: 119
    toss everything away as I buy the filter and earl way in advance - on sale etc...I must change my ways...
  • grttgrtt Member Posts: 2
    Anyone have any thoughts about the various protection options/package they offer you?

- undercoat
    - paint
    - seat covers
    - rust
  • jeproxjeprox Member Posts: 466
    undercoating/rustproofing are good options to get. i got mine from an independent shop and not the dealer. dealers always rip u off! if u plan to keep the car for a long time, seat covers are also good. i have them on all my cars.

paint protection is a waste. wax the car and its the same thing!
    is not a waste...my 14-year-old 4Runner had perma-plate installed when it was new, and the paint is still lustrous today, and I figure will last at least three or four more years...that is not typical of a Toyota product that has been parked outside.

HOWEVER, if you will most likely sell the car in ten years or less, and will at least somewhat regularly wash and wax it while you have it, then the only person you are benefitting with paint protection is the next owner, so then it might be a waste! :-)

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• vlanman25vlanman25 Member Posts: 49
    Does anyone know the lubrication points on a 2003 Toyota Corrola. I was told by a service rep at a Toyota agency there are just two points. The service manual suggests oil change intervals but nothing about greasing. Thanks.. -VLanman
  • mikusmikus Member Posts: 109
    > Consumer's Reports did a test using Manhattan taxi cabs (kinda the definition of severe service.) They changed some oil every 3000 and some at 4000, some at 5000 and some at 6000 miles. After 100,000 miles, they disassembled each engine and had their engineers go over them with a fine-toothed comb. The result, they could find NO significant difference in wear in any of the engines.

Archaic low-rev V8 pushrods? One probably can use corn oil with them and they would still run. You guys are driving cars with engines working much harder. From another point of view, you probably do not use some little known 20W30 oil from the lube shop nearby, but high-quality semi-syntethic or synthetic oil ;-)

P.S. Hydraulic lifters cannot stand dirty oil, so good filter is probably more important.
  • dwbehrensdwbehrens Member Posts: 15
    I use Mobil 1 Synthetic oil in all five of my Toyota vehicles. Oil changes are at 10,000 mile intervals, with oil filters changed every 5,000 miles. It keeps it simple to remember.

Mobil 1 gear oil in differentials (non limited slip), transfer cases, and manual transmissions is changed when new, thereafter every 100,000 miles.

Automatic trans fluid is drained and refilled every motor oil change (10,000 miles) using the drain plug found on all Toyota trans pans. Since the torque converter is not drained, refill is only 25% to 40% of full trans fluid capacity. I drop the pan and clean it every 40,000 to 50,000 miles. I don't use synthetic trans fluid, but adhere to Toyota's recommendation for use of Type T-IV fluid in the tranmissions that require it.
  • dwbehrensdwbehrens Member Posts: 15
    I use Mobil 1 Synthetic oil in all five of my Toyota vehicles. Oil changes are at 10,000 mile intervals, with oil filters changed every 5,000 miles. It keeps it simple to remember.

Mobil 1 gear oil in differentials (non limited slip), transfer cases, and manual transmissions is changed when new, thereafter every 100,000 miles.

Automatic trans fluid is drained and refilled every motor oil change (10,000 miles) using the drain plug found on all Toyota trans pans. Since the torque converter is not drained, refill is only 25% to 40% of full trans fluid capacity. I drop the pan and clean it every 40,000 to 50,000 miles. I don't use synthetic trans fluid, but adhere to Toyota's recommendation for use of Type T-IV fluid in the tranmissions that require it.

I average 200,000 to 250,000 miles on a Toyota before replacing it. I never had a trans problem on a car I bought new. Never had any motor problems. After 200,000 miles, they burn 1 quart every 3,000 miles.
  • peach7peach7 Member Posts: 4
    I have an '04 Corolla that was purchased this past July. When should I take it in for its first tune up? After that, is a once a year tune up good?
    Okay...several people here have said that an oil change costs about $20. What kind of oil is used for this? I've called around to find out the cost of an oil change using Mobile 1 5W30, and it's about $55.
  • capitanocapitano Member Posts: 509
    Cheapie oil changes use any of a variety of dino oils in the appropriate weights. Mobil1 is going to cost extra. $55 might be a little high.

As to your tune-up schedule, your car should have come with a maintenance schedule that details when and what services are required. I have a matrix and it calls for a services every 7,500 miles. At 15,000 and 30,000 they do a few extra things.

Tune-ups are old school. Most new engines do not require a traditional tune up for 100,000 miles or more. Tune ups are different than regular services. A regular service replaces or checks wear items and lubricates needed areas. Tune-ups check things like ignition timing and valve clearance to make sure that an engine is operating within specifications. Newer cars with engine management computers basically keep the car in tune automatically.
    Okay...so...then does that mean I don't need to take my car in for a tune up? (Sorry, I'm new at all this).

Another question for oil changes. Is it not a good idea to use synthetic oil in a new car?
    Read your maintenance guide. Your car came with one. It's called the "scheduled Maintenance Guide." You're in luck. I pulled out mine for the trix and it is the same as yours.

There is no "tune up" before 120,000 miles.

There are 5,000 or 7,500 mile service intervals.

5,000 mile service intervals are for people who:

-drive on dusty or unpaved roads
    -tow trailers or use car-top carriers
    -make repeated trips less than 5 miles in subfreezing temps.

everyone else uses 7,500 mile intervals.

At a service, they will change your oil and filter, rotate tires and inspect the chassis.

At 15,000 miles they'll do all that and inspect your air filter. At 22,500 they'll do all that and replace the airconditioning filter. At 30,000 miles they'll do all the normal stuff plus replace your engine coolant and air filter.

At each service they may find some things that need to be fixed, but that is not likely.

Synthetic Oil. Voodoo. There are wives tales about engines not breaking in properly if you use synthetic too soon. Synthetic oil manufacturers will tell you this is incorrect. Some manufacturers put synthetic in the car when it is built. There is a lot of info about synthetics on the net. Some of it is good and some is bad. There are competing brands all claiming to be the best. All have their own anecdotes of successes. I started to try to make sense of it all and gave up. I put mobil 1 in my trix at 3,000 miles. I will let it go 7,500 miles between changes.
    Thanks Capitano

I have read my manual. However, I got confused because I've heard others say that newer cars don't need to be taken in for tune ups at all. So, I just wanted to hear what others on here had to say.
    on a modern car is just replacing the plugs, that is all really. Many new cars like corolla/trix use the iridiums, which are good for more than 100K miles.

I will have to pull out the maintenance guide for my 'trix one of these days, but I don't think this engine even has periodic valve adjustment, does it?

I would change the coolant and air filter every 30K though. And keep changing that oil!

Funny: two different dealerships now have balked at my instruction to them NOT to change the A/T fluid (per Toyota's maintenance guide, you NEVER change it for the life of the car unless you operate under one of those three conditions capitano posted above). They all want to change it every 15K just like cars of 10-15 years ago needed. This has saved a lot of money. At the 15K the dealer I was at charged $229 for their 15K service...when I insisted on NO A/T fluid change, the guy scratched his head and said "well, we strongly recommend it, but if you really want to skip it, then the rest is just a 'minor service', which is $59.95"!!!!!

Dealers will just have to get used to the truly low maintenance requirements of modern cars. They will have to find another way to boost profits in the service department. As it is, they are already losing the profit boon of the 90s: periodic timing belt replacement, at $200+ a pop.

Yeah, I was worried about getting back to the original dealer where I bought my trix for the 7500 mile service because it was gonna be free. When I look at the maintenance guide I see it is just an oil change, tire rotation and inspection. Not worth the hassle. My only concern now is whether or not to go ahead and let them change the oil and then change it again. I already put mobil1 in at 3k. I could ignore them and do all this basic maintenance myself, but I'd sure like to get that stamp in the book.

There is no periodic valve adjustment on the trix. The clearance only gets checked at 120k and presumably adjusted if out of spec at that time.
    I didn't think there was routine valve adjustment for this car.

I have just passed 22.5K - I will have to remember to get them to change that cabin air filter when I do the 30K service.

Like this car a lot, am thinking I should have got the XRS though. I am sort of playing with the idea of trading for one next summer, when this car turns two...lot of wasted money inherent in that transaction, so I will probably convince myself to hold off trading.

One of the great things about this car is the extraordinarily low amount of maintenance needed! The dealer charges $500 now for the 30K service, so I may go to an indy shop instead and save $150 or so.

$500 for the 30k service? That seems awfully expensive. I bet they're doing things they think need to be done, not what's in the book.
    VERY curious to see how much $$ it saves me when I ask them to delete the A/T fluid flush. That might be $100 worth right there, judging by what happened when I went for the 15K!

• torr310torr310 Member Posts: 41
    I heard that Toyotas are easy to maintain, only regular oil change is enough. do you think its a correct idea?

because they always telling me i should have some other services for my car, and my car is only 1 year old/12k miles
    dont know if it is worth it.

by the way, what kind of fuel do you use for your cars? 87,89,or 91? the manuel says 87, but i use 89. some people even use 91! do you guys prefer chevron fuel?
    thanks a lot!
    Chevron is the best gas out there, and I will even pay a small premium for it - say 10%. I always use 87 - using any higher in a corolla is just burning your money.

One of the great things about the current corolla is the extremely low maintenance. Basically coolant flush and new air filter every 30K, plugs at 105K, and regular oil changes and tire rotations is just about it. For the normal scheduled maintenance of course. If you have a good way to recycle coolant, you can do it all yourself - it is easy on this car.

Oh yeah, and there's a cabin air filter to change every 22,5 (per the manual) if you care.

• torr310torr310 Member Posts: 41
    nippononly, thank you for the advising
    i appreciate it ^_^

And they wanted to do some sort of oil treatment that doubled the cost. $43 for the basic service, but $88 with this special oil treatment stuff.
    $43 included synthetic oil? That must have been the price for dino, right?

That was the dino oil. I didn't know synthetic was an option, so I brought my own. Still, she tried to sell me the oil treatment thing.

Oh, and later I noticed they had put their own little jiffy lube sticker in the window that said my next oil change was due on March 18 or at 10,981 miles. Everyone has latched onto the 3k mile oil change thing. Their own brochure touts a 5k mile service. It kinda bugs me that they ignore what the manuals call for, but they were quicker than jiffy lube and they didn't call me out to the car and show me my air filter.....
    it varies. My local dealership puts on stickers that call for the next oil change at 3750 additional miles. However, the one I use most often puts on stickers that call for the next oil change after 5000 additional miles.

YMMV, I guess.

$43 oil changes are definitely a loss leader given that they check the tires and the fluids as well...at both dealers I mentioned it is $29.95.

• xcelxcel Member Posts: 1,025
    Hi All:

___As for fuel economy, I have been averaging ~ 42.5 mpg over the last 9 months … I use the cheapest 87 Regular Unleaded I can find as well. I paid $1.39 the other night at a local Marathon which isn’t too bad. It was just $1.37 earlier this week however.

___As for oil changes and such, a local Walmart provides a steal of a deal. That includes a full Mobil1 5W-30 synthetic oil change w/ a SuperTech filter for just $27.00 including a tread depth measurement. I also run 12,500 miles between changes because I drive almost 5,000 miles/month in the Corolla. When I do my own, Sam&#146;s Club has a 6 pack of Mobil1 5W-30 synthetic for just $23.00 and the SuperTech is < $2.00.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
  • saturnfansaturnfan Member Posts: 40
    My dealer has quite a few added services they try to foist off on the unaware.

1. Routine "brake adjustments" for the rear drums. Confirmed with Toyota national that the brakes are self adjusting.

2. Wheel alignments/tire balance at every 15K. I used to run a gas station. You normally only need to balance tires once, when you install them. Alignment should not be routinely done. Only if abnormal tire wear or steering drift are noticed.

3. Cabin filter changes at $50 a pop. Part can be bought from discount dealer for under $20. Installs in about 2 minutes and instructions are in your owner's manual.

Can't trust most dealer recommendations. Even the Toyota manual urges you to question recommended services that are not listed in your factory maintenance schedule.
  • tjdepere2004tjdepere2004 Member Posts: 40
    dealer doing oil [detergent dino] change, filter, tire rotation, for one penny, plus tax and $2 oil disposal fee. Used him twice and will continue to go back at that price.Desert Toyota las vegas
  • jeblairjeblair Member Posts: 2
    Did you ever get an answer to this question? I would like to know also since I purchased a Corolla
  • tjdepere2004tjdepere2004 Member Posts: 40
    I suggest you ask a service rep what the two points are or phone Toyota and ask.
  • edle777edle777 Member Posts: 19
    My 99's alternator belt needed replacing because it was severely cracked. My mileage was only 54K km (about 34K miles). Is this normal? Seems kind of low to me.
  • freudfreud Member Posts: 1
    My 98 Corolla has 100K without a new clutch. Does anyone know when I can expect to replace it? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!!
  • dave594dave594 Member Posts: 218
    How long your clutch lasts depends on your driving style. If you're careful with how you use your clutch it could last much longer than 100k. Have your mechanic check how much you have left when you do a clutch adjustment.
  • anjoanjo Member Posts: 1
    i have 98 VE with 81K. my car was making a noise andtook it to my mechnic(dealer too expensive) and it is the drive assembly..is this normal wear?
  • carglowcarglow Member Posts: 91
    I just purchased an 05 LE with A/T. Any maintenance tips would be appreciated.

Is using Mobil 1 synthetic a good idea in a Corolla?
    Read the owner's manual carefully, follow all the maintenance schedule recommendations. For the first 1000 miles follow the break in procedures. If you take care of your corolla it will be a dependable car. You only need to change the oil and do the periodic maintenance. Mobil 1 is a good idea if you don't mind paying extra for the oil. I still would not exceed the owners manual oil change intervals (is it 7500 miles?) in order to maintain your warranty for the car.
    At what interval you I make my very first oil change?

I was thinking at 1k miles.
    There's great debate in all the boards about the first oil change. Some go by the old rule of 1000 miles, while others say that new cars now come with breakin oil that is meant to stay inside the car until the first change at 3000 miles or so. I would ask your dealer's service manager for his recommendation.
    Does the 05 Corolla use "break in" oil like some Hondas use?
  • johnk324johnk324 Member Posts: 6
    My 03 Corolla has about 30k miles on it. I want to do a one time transmission oil/filter/gasket change. Does anybody know what type of transmission oil to use and how much?
  • gsbhasingsbhasin Member Posts: 21
    My local dealers in Idaho charge 299 for 60k service. That does not include a transmission fluid change. I had new brakes at 45k and new tires at 60k. I can get tires rotated free at COSTCO and oil change at Midas is 15 bucks.
    Maybe I should get transmission fluid changed at 70K. I had it changed at 15, 30 and 45K (new owner). What do you guys suggest?
    For the 60K service they just do oil and lube and inspect brakes (i have them new). I think it is not worth it, since car is out of warranty as well.
    Please advice.
    15k ATF change seem excessive, but I guess it's better safe than sorry.

Why type of oil does Midas offer in their $15 oil change?
  • rolla03rolla03 Member Posts: 3
    I brought my car, corolla S to the dealer for a 30,000 mile service and they advised me to have a brake service. Since I'm ignorant about any service about the car, I agreed to have that service done for 298.99. My question is, do they really need to replace the rotors? some of my friends told me that should not be done considering my car is only 2 years old. I'm just curious if the dealer were honest in telling me to have that service. I had a bad experience in one of toyota dealers where they had suggested too many extra services during my 15,000 service such as throttle body service, air filter, cabin air filter, etc...They didn't even rotate the tires that caused the other 2 tires get bald compared to the other 2 tires. Even the transmission fluid they told me to replace it at 22,500 and told them I just had it replaced on my 15, 000 service as advised by them. Sometimes, you cannot even rely or trust the dealers...