Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Corvettes and all things about them

Comments

• Options
    bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    I'm no expert, but I also don't think anything with 10,000 units per year production will ever command high-dollar collector value.

The 'limited' 1978 Indy Pace Cars, was 'limited' to one to each Chevy dealership. There was something like 6,500 produced. Anything with this count of units will probably never return anyone's money. People paid $10,000 over MRSP, and more, probably up to double the list price for these. They have never returned these peoples investments. You can probably get a low milage one, less than 5,000 miles, for under original MRSP. One with the show-room milage of 20 miles (plus whatever the owners put on it on Sunday drives with the speedometer unhooked), will probably only draw about the original MRSP.

Lady, drive that new Z06! I've never driven my Corvettes a lot of miles, but proposely limiting it to 600 miles a year is overdoing it.

P.S. Print out all these messages and give to your husband. He needs some education...

Mr. Shifty, correct me if you disagree with my statements above.
  • Options
    mrsschrodermrsschroder Member Posts: 10
    "Low mileage corvettes are actually pretty common. Really high mileage ones are pretty rare though."
    That's funny!
    Gearhead, you're right about the color. I guess it doesn't really matter much.
    I appreciate all the comments. I have been making some headway lately in the battle, especialy after hubby drove the car the other evening. I have been driving it more lately too, (now it has over 1100 miles on it), since the brakes on the minivan freaked out the other day.
    I think once it is paid for it will be less of an issue. Actually it is not a huge issue anyway, since I don't have many opportunities to drive it, except on weekends.
    I have to keep up my end of the bargain though: to keep it under 5000 miles until it is paid for. (Apparently this was a stipulation that I agreed to in order to get the spousal blessing. Now that I'm laid off and hubby will be making the payments soon, I guess I'd better go along with that!)
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Hi bolivar--yeah, I think you are correct. The '78 Pace Car does bring decent money, maybe $20K for a clean, good driving car, but that price hardly justifies having paid $10K over MSRP and storing a low mileage car for 25 years.
  • Options
    starrow68starrow68 Member Posts: 1,142
    http://www.idavette.net/facts/2001endpro.htm

http://www.idavette.net/facts/2002/index.htm

Being new to the Corvette thanks as well for all the input. I think the 2002 production facts should be up pretty soon. I'm guessing the Z06 in 2002 was greater than the 16% that shows for 2001. Mostly since total production went up pretty well, I think.

• Options
    vettes2vettes2 Member Posts: 17
  • Options
    ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    Mrsschroder,

I just got back from a Z06, 1/3 of a cross country trip from Silicon Valley CA to Pagosa Springs CO. Outside of marvelous daily soaking in mineral baths and taking in the scenic beauty of 5 states (CA,NV,AZ,UT,CO,) and a few tribal nations for good measure, the Z06 was just a joy to drive. It went to app 8000 feet from sea level and didn't miss a beat. I especially enjoyed the "Mountain Alpine" feeling of the Rocky Mtn state of CO. It felt a bit like Switzerland in the USA. While I don't recommend driving these curvy mountain roads at night, I had probably a very unusual thing happen to me. I was moving right along, when I got a flicker of light off a pr of ears of a deer about to cross the road and a flicker of light off the tail of a deer that just crossed the road right in front of me. Instinctively, without thinking and time to panic :), I pulled the Z06 from 80 mph just as the deer with the ears :) decided he was going to attempt to become deer jerky. It almost felt like a surreal experience in that, I felt one with the car and that it indeed stopped with not even a hint of effort.
  • Options
    Okay, so it looks like about 20,000 Z06s from 2001-2003 will be built more or less. That's a very high number vis a vis collectibility prospects. As a point of reference against some "collectible" Corvettes, there were only 10,500 or so '63 split wondow coupes and those, after 30 years, bring around $40K for a very sharp one, around $25K-28K for clean drivers. So with double the Split Window production, three years of production rather than the SWindows 1 year, and 30 years of waiting in front of you, it seems that driving your Z06 now and using it up is the way to go.
  • Options
    bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    Putting your money into a long-term CD or Treasury note will return much, much more money than any collectable car. Even at 6% or so, your money will be x10 or x20 times the investment amounts after 20-30 years.

Ok, looking at the car in the garage and occasionally driving it will give you enjoyment that cannot be gotten from a piece of paper in your lockbox.

You also need to include the expenses for annual tags and insurance, and maintance expenses for the car. If you drive it at all, things will need to be fixed. If you do not drive it at all, a lot of things, like brakes and fuel systems, will have to be fixed even if it just sits.

The 'boom' in Corvettes topped out in the early 90's. Lots of money lost since then on cars bought at the top prices.
  • Options
    Z06 up to 23% from 16% the first year. Wonder if the 50th cars will cause it to drop back some and also the fact that they didn't push the HP again.
    Still amazed that EB comes in 3rd to Black and Red in the Color selections, sorry to ignore MY in Canada. Seems I see a lot more Silver, Pewter and others than I do of any of the Blues.
    Interesting to see if it holds up in '03, since they seem to change the blue every couple of years.
  • Options
    For a Corvette convertible, white with red interior is still hard to beat, even after 50 years.
  • Options
    spoot51spoot51 Member Posts: 3
    My new Spiral Gray Metallic Coupe is fabulous for driving around twisty mountain roads city boulevards with the top off, but I am having trouble getting my dealer to fix an annoying air leak on the driver door. He admits it's there at "highway speed", but hasn't fixed it with window and door adjustments. Is this something I must live with or is ther a way to fix this??
  • Options
    Why don't you take a careful look at the gap around the door? Is it even all around or conspicuously wide in one spot? Also, does the weatherstripping seem damaged?

Last of all, has the door panel ever been off and the interior weather seal examined?

Can you isolate the exact entry point of the leak?
  • Options
    Tks, Mr Shiftright,I'm taking it in again tomorrow. Leak is at upper right corner of window as viewed from outside. Rubber looks good all around and same as other side, which doesn't leak. Weatherstrip may be answer or replace the rubber all around. Still, here in AZ we don't drive with windows up at this time of year!
  • Options
    Could be window alignment...I'd look to see if the seal is being pinched in any way or if window is actually going up all the way.

Dealers hate this kind of problem. Make sure they don't just park your car out back for the "sunshine treatment".
  • Options
    Some are missing the point. Who cares how many were produced? The demographics suggest that as we "baby boomers' age, we are reverting to our younger days and buying the muscle cars we wanted (or had) in high school. Percentage return is what counts, not absolute original price. Check out what's happening at auto auctions such as Barrett's in Scottsdale come January and see what people pay for a nice sixTies Camaro, Vette or even Dodge Charger. One should buy these type cars to drive first and foremost and then be happy someone else will pay up when you get tired of it!! Cheers!
  • Options
    Ruking,
    That sounds like a great trip.
    You are very lucky, to have had such a great drive, and to have missed disaster like that.
    Good thing you had great reflexes, and were driving a car with incredible braking ability. That was the first thing that really amazed me about the Z06- the brakes are utterly beyond belief.
    The car is definitely not a calculated & logical investment. It is pure pleasure!
  • Options
    There you go...the true spirit of what a sportscar is.
  • Options
    Jack44Jack44 Member Posts: 221
    I think you are also missing a major point in return percentage...It is impossible to measure the reward/enjoyment you get when someone comes up and tells you what a great car you have...I've a '65 L76 Goldwood Yellow Coupe...Mine is a pretty much daily driver...Saw GM's first Sting Ray in fall of '62 when the guys from GM brought the first '63 Split window by our design class at the University of Illinois...That did it to wanting a Corvette...I hope the new one's bring back that kind of reward...
  • Options
    brand new Z06: $50,000
    Mil. yellow option $600
    1 Year of Insurance: $1000

Getting whistled at by road crews, approached by enthusiasts at gas stations, and waved to by other corvettes & kids in minivans: priceless
  • Options
    chrissonchrisson Member Posts: 4
    This is my first corvette 2002 Z06.
    Looking through the manual there is page on 1 TO 4
    SHIFT.
    Can someone explain more about this shift function, the book does not explain too much about it.
  • Options
    The first to 4th or skip shift feature is a gas hog tax avoidance feature that GM uses to get around this gas guzzler tax. In the case of say a BMW M-3, the tax is a hefty 1-1.5k levy.

The first to 4th, skip shift or Computer Assisted Gear Shift (CAGS)is a computer controlled lock out of gears 2 and three, when shifting from first to 4th. There are many ways around it.

The first is a CAGS defeat product.(priced from 1 dollar to 23) Ask the dealer that you are most likely to use for warranty work especially, if a CAGS defeat circuit is a concern for them. Some dealers will refuse to do your transmission warranty work if they see that you have it installed. The other thing is that if the fact that you use a CAGS is entered into the GM warranty system, (for some reason) when other friendly dealers go to log on to the GM warranty system, you can be locked out! So in the worst case, remove it before you let the dealer see that you have it installed. In theory and law this is NOT supposed to matter and matter only if they can prove that the skip shift feature cause the potential warranty work problem. However the theory collides with reality if you do get locked out and have to fight GM for any length of time.

The 2nd way around it is to start off in 2nd gear.

The 3 rd way around it is to not come to a full stop and start off in 1 st gear, or whatever is appropriate.

The 3rd and 4th way around it is to shift before and/or after the RPM parameters which the feature operates.

If you happen to shift during the rpm parameters that the skip shift operates DO NOT try to place the gear in second or 3th. That over the long term may and can cause damage.
  • Options
    When shifting into third, taking a little time to let the light go out and then easing into third seems a reasonable solution to me. What kind or source of damage to you see ruking1?
    I decided early on that getting good mileage was not only good for the govt./environment but not a wholly bad thing for me as well so I put up with CAGS. It pays not to ignore it, especially when starting on a hill. Shifting at a low RPM into second gets you some momentum so you aren't pulling from a stop in second, seems better from my perspective. Then just reving 1st past 2k RPM is mostly just fun even if I decide to then shift to 3rd and 5th when I don't need torque, etc. With a car that will corner onto a freeway on ramp at 35, right turn, accelerate to 55 in 3rd around the first turn of an S and then in 5th get past 65 on the second S before getting to the acceleration straight away, missing a gear seems to not cause too many problems. :) And having the 911 stay with me the other morning and give a thumbs up about a mile up the freeway was just gravy!
  • Options

"What kind or source of damage to you see ruking1? "

I read this in passing in either the service manual (4 volumes weighs about 10#'s) or the Z06 owner's manual!! It all runs together after a while! :)

I normally shift from first to second a bit early of the lock out RPM range of the CAGS. The Z06 or all Corvettes for that matter have torque in spades, so one is not usually in danger of lugging the engine by "short shifting" a bit.
  • Options
    caramocaramo Member Posts: 93
    According to my Camaro owner's manual, skip shift is engaged between 15-20MPH and at less than 35% of throttle or something like that. Not sure of the specifics for Vette, but probably similar. But the way I drive, I rarely encounter the forced shift to 4th. . . I don't know how to operate a sports car at less than 35% of throttle.
  • Options
    Seems I get looks like why are you draging when I take off faster than most of the traffic, but once in awhile it is nice to be half way up the next block as the traffic crosses the second cross walk. Shifting short never seems to be where I'm thinking of shifting so mostly I get past 2k rpm's. It does take some getting used to which I'm sure is why many install a CAGS defeat solution.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for answering my message
  • Options
    Another question?
    I have a friend who is a mechanic.
    He recommended using K & N air filter (wire mesh).
    He said this will give more air flow.
    Will this cause any problems to the engine.
  • Options

In a word yes. I plan to get this current engine to 175k miles and beyond. I want the engine to intake as close to dirt/dust free air as possible. The K and N filter FOR SURE flows MORE air vs the stock. HOWEVER, the penalty is letting in more particulate matter and or dirt/dust. If you plan not to be a long term holder of your engine/car, then really it will be the new owner's problem.
  • Options
    The K&N is cleaner than stock. May be wishful thinking. Can't say from personal experience but I do have another issue with the K&N. Our daughter had a '00 GT Mustang vert lowered and exhaust mod, Flow Masters, very nice sounding car and did a 13.95 at the strip once with her boy friend driving, seems the K&N must have helped some. She was doing in the 14.4's. However, even with a wrench who knew K&N's getting the proper oiling when it was cleaned seemed to be a problem. More trouble than I'm willing to put up with at this point.
    Question for ruking1 about air intake. Is the '02 Z06 connector from the air cleaner to the MAF bigger than the '01? I know it is bigger than the stock coupe/vert in '02 and I've seen several who have swapped it out.
  • Options

I saw a writeup of an old industrial machinery test between stock air cleaners and K & N type gauze/oil filter (dont remember or have the link). It was obvious from the study that all things being equal, the KN type filter would save huge amounts in operating costs should they perform as well or better than OEM air filters, and breath better. The upshot was the K&N type filter DID not filter the dust as well as OEM filters.

As far as I can see the connector from the air cleaner to the MAF is the same size. Visually, it seems the same. I also cross checked this, for when you order after market parts they ask if it is Z06, 2001-2003. So by process of elimination, 2001,2002 and 2003 seem to be the same size.
  • Options
    I don't see how a K&N filter would make any difference alone on a drag strip. The HP gain is too miniscule and at too high an RPM to matter in a drag race. If the times are better, the driver is just a little better, that's all I can see in it.

I really haven't see any convincing evidence one way or the other that a K&N would harm an engine. Obviously, the factory doesn't put one on MOST of their everyday cars because of the a) objectionable intake noise and b) maintenance issues (translation: Most people wouldn't oil them, and most quick-lube places probably throw them out at the first service, not knowing what they were).

I use one in my car but I can't say I notice any difference one could measure.
  • Options
    Almost NONE of the Gauze oil or K & N filter types advertise that they FILTER better than OEM. Almost ALL of them advertise that they FLOW more air than OEM. As for the filters "harming" an engine, in a word they DO NOT ! The dirt or dust that they may or may not let in will. I personally use the OEM air filter because the vette's air induction system is almost like a Hoover vacuum cleaner. The radiator and air "scoops" are so low to the ground that at times I have almost dug out from between a 1/8 to 1/4 of a # of "debris" from the area of the radiator that the bottom wing directs the air flow. I also have at time emptied app 1/64 to 1/32 of a # of stuff stuck to the filter. While the oil type filter does let in more air and thus gives a 5hp-10 hp claimed boost, in my estimation the trade off is NOT worth it.
  • Options
    Certainly 5 HP isn't, especially on a Vette where the high rpm band is not what you want anyway.
  • Options
    This may be totally anecdotal, but since I have changed the air filter housing from the 2001 to the 2002, i.e., more surface area of the OEM air filter exposed (I est about 7 times greater area) there actually seems to be less particulate build up on the OEM air filter itself.
  • Options
    I will have my friend send back the K$N filter.
    Thanks all
  • Options
    This is a general auto info site, not Corvette specific. At Corvetteforum.com or CorvetteActionCenter.com you or your friend might get a different view of the K&N, FWIW. The greater air flow does seem to make a difference for those who want to go to the strip for drags, or at least they think it makes a difference. I'm willing to wait to next spring and try with straight up stock before I worry about it. If I get lucky and beat anyone with a K&N I will of course make a note here. :) Then again losing to them will be no big deal, they are modified.
  • Options
    The evidence suggest that the K&N isn't doing very much except a few HP at very high rpm. If you ask any experienced motor builder this is probably what they'll tell you (hopefully, if he knows his trade). A few HP high up the power band. The bigger the engine, the more the gain, naturally.

One could say "well, every little bit helps" and that's very true, as long as you don't believe these claims of substantial gain or increased ETs based on only adding an air filter. A 1% HP increase is easily cancelled by driver or atmospheric conditions or fuel quality.

Like you said, people "think" it makes a difference.

I put one in because my stock filters are very expensive, so the K&N will pay for itself.
  • Options
    There is no doubt that different model air filters can cost a lot of money.

Since this is a Vette forum, the AC Delco A-917C air filter is from 7 to 10 dollars. I am not sure the of the range of price for the K and N filter, and the cleaning and oiling kit. I would guess $75.???

So for me the cost of the K and N would be 7 or so AC Delco filters. For me that is 210,000 or so miles of filtration. In my case, that will take me 10 years to break even. Even that is better than the original one that I wanted to get : the Blackwing? @ 220 dollars and a 13 dollar cleaning kit. That would represent 23 AC Delco filters@ 30k miles=699,000 miles. Break even? I am not sure my calcuator even goes to that many figures. :) OK, OK, for inquiring minds, 23.3 years.
  • Options
    What's the Blackwing? Tell us about it. Is it a CAI of some type? I'm more optimistic about CAI than just a filter cartridge switch.
  • Options

The following was plagarized (word for word) from the vendor's site, Xtreme Motorsports:

"The Donaldson filter is highest flowing filter on the market. Gains of 17-19 RWHP are typical with the installation of this filter. An indicator shows when it's time to clean the filter. Mounts in place of stock air box with easy installation and factory look. 1997-2000 C5." (2001> available $225., cleaning kit 14.95)

http://www.xmotorsports.com/intake/

A visual and vendor word description is probably a better starting point for the discussion.

• Options
    I hesitate to believe the vendor's claims unless it's somehow redirecting colder air than the stock unit allows. (which it doesn't seem to be).

Two reasons why I am incredulous:

1. For 19 "easy", smog-legal, no side-effects HP, Chevrolet would have done it. GM would not have left 19 easy HP on the table in the HP marketing wars. GM engineers are not that stupid. So what's the downside here? Either there is a bad side effect or GM is that stupid? Which is it?

2. . The best air filter for power increase is no air filter. So are we saying here that by taking OUT the air filter, I'm going to gain even more than 19 HP? Like 25 or 30HP? What is Chevy using for a stock filter---a cinder block?

You know, I tell this stuff to engine builders and they just laugh at me. So I really don't know who to believe. I wish I had the cash to settle this once and for all and do my own dyno testing with my own controls and my own people turning the knobs.

Oh, last of all---let's presume the vendor IS right--then WHERE is this HP going to show up. If it's all at 5,000+ rpms on a cold winter day at sea level, what does that give a guy in summer at 3,000 rpm in Denver?
  • Options

Your two points and the other point about the redirection or the lack thereof of cold air compared against the stock unit are, in my estimation, well taken.

Using a hypothetic 1000 cfm flow max capacity: one only needs to calculate how much either and or both products ( the air filter AC Delco A917c and the Z06 2001 and 2002 air filter housing) impede the airflow and given the filters specifications and design goals of the air filter housing are these tradeoffs worth the impeded (or lesser) air flow and what are the real HP factors, as you indicate across a wider and varied performance band. The truth is,as you have hinted, starts to sound like performance parameters on a light airplane where temp altitude and barometric pressure can and do make a difference. However unlike an airplane which can see those variations in factors by virtue of the fact of flying in and out of those weather factors, in fact the performance parameters as cited for car modifications are static and in theory affect and effect all equally. IE one does not drag race at a lower temp higher altitude and different barometric pressure and compare the drag times against a higher temp, sea level and different barometric temp and rightfully declare one the winner.!!??

Keeping more down to earth, the 2001 Z06 air filter cover was designed to keep out snow and subsequent water as a by product for up to 3 ft snow drift. Since they heard complaints of too much restriction to meet that parameter, as a constant improvement program, the 2002 Z06 air filter covers opening was enlarged on the order of app 5-7x's to meet the snow drift and rain parameter, yet impede the air flow less. ie expose more of the AC Delco's A-917c surface area to the air flow.

The known parameter that the AC Delco's A-917C is designed to meet is the manufacturers maintenance figure of 30k between filter changes. Whether it is prudent to go to that figure is anothr question, but an interesting question to pose to aftermarket air filter vendors, since you WILL not see it advertised, is can their products do that ?

Now the interesting thing was the write up between the 2001 Z06  385 hp and the 2002 405 hp a difference of ONLY 20 hp !!! They go on and on to list all the minutiae of improvements and barely a HP performance rating due to the "redesign " of the air filter housing!!?? So if the redesign is good for 10 hp or even more as after market folks want to suggest, what is all the bru ha ha about 10 extra ponies!!???

Or in terms of raw hp,why get a 405 hp model when you can put on a xyz airfilter worth 22 hp????? on a 385 hp model and get 407 hp??? 200 bucks for a air filter is certainly cheaper than what GM charges MSRP for the 20 hp design changes between the 2001 and 2002??? (app 2.5k to 4k more)
  • Options
    candyman85233candyman85233 Member Posts: 43
    Does anyone know how to tighten the lock on the glove box of an 81 vette? Or know where I can find that info? Do I need special tools? Please advise asap. Thanks in advance!
  • Options
    Is the lock really loose in your hands or is the striker plate all bent out of shape? have you looked at how the lock aligns with the striker?
  • Options
    From what I've read and I don't claim to be knowledgable about the matter, the 2001 Z06 had some 'issues' that got fixed in 2002 and many of those fixes get press as producing the extra 20 ponies. Seems more than possible that the fixes contributed little and the air filter contributed most. Bottom line still seems to be that in 2002 they got it closer to 'right'.
  • Options
    Not sure if anyone will visit here with answer, but here are 2 locations to ask the same question with more chance of getting input. You'll need to sign up to use either but that is fairly simple.

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=3

Both have good input.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zeroforum?id=3

• Options

I think your point is that , that is where the point really blurs. I also happen to agree with your observation. The only thing that makes it germane to the discussion in my view is that the GM or Corvette marketing hype tries to "connect the dots" in this regard.

An example would be the cat pups in the 2001 vs no cat pups due to a upgrade in design and materials. Bottom line: good for a 5 hp boost . If my recollection is correct, the redesign or opening up of the stock Z06 2002 air cleaner is good for 2-5 hp. MAX per Corvette design engineering. Do a small group of "little" things and pretty soon the other 8-13 hp are accounted for.
  • Options
    Yes, but effects are not always cumulative from what I've read because a certain type of muffler or air filter does not "add" any horsepower whatsoever, whereas a component like an SC or nox certainly does.

You can't presume that devices that release HP by reducing restriction will have a cumulative effect of 5 HP for the air filter + 20 for the muffler + 15 for the CAI + 10 for the pulley +++ etc etc.

It doesn't work that way. The positive effect of one will often diminish the positive effect of the other.
  • Options

I am not presuming anything. The stuff I have cited is from interviews and writeups with Corvette engineering and marketing. Most of the things are due to the constant improvement programs at GM, specifically in the Corvette model line.