Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Corvettes and all things about them

Comments

• jwilson1jwilson1 Member Posts: 956
    is it correct to say that Corvettes suffer fewer electronic problems after the first year of ownership. (In your experience, of course ...)

Thanks for the interest and reply, ruking, to my other question.

JW
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826

I think if anything I was probably guilty of researching too much. This particular 2001 was not only my first Vette, but American car as well. When I get another Vette, I definitely would not get an extended warranty based on my own experience. But if I came to the table as above with even a 2002,2003 I would probably get the warranty.

Something you didnt ask about, but the air conditioning is positively awesome! I have gotten downright cold in 104 degree desert heat!
  • gbjerkegbjerke Member Posts: 158

Let me put my 2 cents in here.
    You cannot beat the fit/finish/reliability of the NSX. They do eat tires and a series of '91's had a snap ring problem in the tranny. They have vin #'s that show the range of potential problem cars.
    My son has a NSX and I love it.
    Myself, I was coming from a long line of Supra TT's and in '01 was looking for something different. My son was twisting my arm to get an NSX.
    So, I got a Z06! Just something about a V8, horses/torque/great brakes, light weight...all that stuff. After nearly 2 years with the Z06, I am not one bit sorry for my decision...I absolutely love that car. It lacks the fit/finish etc of the NSX but my '01 stickered for 49k vs. the 89k for the NSX. Is there 40k difference for above? Don't know and really don't care as I keep my toys 2-3 years so have never been concerned over long term reliability.
    If you want a long term/bullet-proof ride that performs decently, get the NSX. Don't know the long term for the Z06, but if you want some [non-permissible content removed] kicking grunt with great handling, get the Z06.
  • starrow68starrow68 Member Posts: 1,142
    Sounds like you will have at least as much fun as I'm having with an '02 Coupe. My rides were a Falcon, Fairlane, Torino, (any trend here?), MG, Camero Berlinetta (Co. Car), Pulsar and now the Vette. I have never been a car person, thinking of transportation as four wheels and brakes, having fun takes some getting used to. Making a big step up in HP also takes some getting used to and I'm really glad it has the stability control, watch out in the rain if you let it get wet (many don't), wide tires and low weight are not what we are used to and hydro planeing is a real issue. Also, taking corners at whatever the speed limit is without braking or slow down seems to work just fine when the road is clear and as several have noted in other forums, 0 to 65 is legal! Just be careful, it is a handful and then some, even without the Z06 power.

Best of luck with your new 50th anniversary convertible! Let us know what you think!

For the difference between 49k VS 89k, I personally would get up to 2 Z06's. More practical would be one Z06 and 40k in the various and sundry parts and modifications. For me, my dream gig is to have like an extra 2-4 sets :) : of tires and rims, for starters. :) To be able to put on the correct shoes for street, touring, track, rain, etc. One extra set is not enough!!
  • li_sailorli_sailor Member Posts: 1,081
    ...it's like old home week ;-)

Just thought I'd stop by and say hi...hope you're enjoying your rides...sounds like fun.

The world keeps spinning...hopefully our vehicles don't :-)

Later...
    Are you still keeping things hopping on the SUV thread? I should drop in more often to see the progress.
  • li_sailorli_sailor Member Posts: 1,081
    Oh, sure...we've just about got the problem solved...there's only one guy left in an Excursion somewhere ;-) But it's a diesel, so it's ok.

Hey...when are they coming out with the diesel 'vette?

:-)
    for a few days.

As to Corvettes, if you have never taken yours out to the strip, it can be a real kick, especially when there are a number of other Vettes around, which I take it isn't always the case. I readily admit to being the slowest of the day, but then again, I didn't take on any walls and I went plenty fast to get the need for speed cured for a few days anyway. Anything over 100 mph in a quarter mile is fun.
       Yes, ruking1, Li_S... has the SUVs well in hand but he must forget we have one of those Excursions too and the other guy's is black, uncool anyway. And the loop of discussion is well into it's almost thirty thousanth comment with no real agreement. However, where 2 years ago it was an oddity for discussion it is now mainstream nightly news topic. Came across about half a dozen articles related to the topic just today, curious. It's still the generalizations that rule and are least meaningful at the same time.
  • mwb678mwb678 Member Posts: 1
    Well I'm taking the plunge this weekend. I was hoping to hear from anyone with a corvette convertible who is 6'2" or more regarding the headroom and comfort

I read somewhere that the Corvette Plant Manager also drive several Corvettes (Z06, Vert) if memory serves correctly. He is 6 ft 5 in tall. :)
    but I'm 6' 3" and don't fit in much of anything, except the Excursion real comfortably, and I have almost an inch of clearance in the Vette. That provides just about enough room for a helmet if I scrunch down just a little. If I remember the vert, it has a little more room depending on how you like to recline the seat, which in the Coupe is another limiter as the structural roof behind the pop top is about an inch lower. Also at 6' 3" I don't have the seat all the way back either. I have been told by several that the Vette is designed to accomodate 6' 4"'s. Hope it helps.
    Here the Table of Contents page for current Motor Trend with lots of Corvette stuff. I haven't seen the edition and the articles are not available on the web site yet.

http://www.motortrend.com/toc/

Looks like a good issue at least to peruse at the store this weekend.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I rode shotgun in one a few weeks ago and it was fine for passenger side room at least, and head room. I'm 6'2"/200 lb. The driver was also a bigg-ish guy, a 6-footer and "stout".
    Comfort is a weird bird in the Vette. Getting in and out is a chore. Actually it is a PITA! However once in, I have been on quite a few trips alone and with passengers in excess of 10 hrs. If I had to say do the same time interval in a Porsche or a BMW or a MB I would find the Vette much more comfortable on the long haul. I actually "prefer" the Euro style seats. Intuitively, I would describe the other sports cars as having better seats, but the truth is really in the butt time. For long distance I think Corvette got it right.

I have no height or weight or medical issues to take into account.
    I started my last search for a new car convinced I was going to get an XK8 for almost 2 years, waiting for the resources to match the desire. Then came the fateful day, and if you want PITA to get in and out of, try the XK8, impossible unless you are 6' 2" or under and even then I've talked to several six footers who find it a pain. That started 6+ months of looking for the one vehicle that I'd want to drive for fun and fits at 6' 3" and now low 190#'s, was closer to 200 when I got the car just over a year ago. I find the '02 fairly easy to get in and out of, given of course that I use the side bolster for help when exiting, but hey, it's just a little low for a leading edge boomer. And like Ruking1 I found the two long trips I took early on with the car to be the most comfortable driving I've done in years. I had almost given up on long car trips with a bad back in the 70's but am looking forward to some in the Vette in the future. Great touring car for two. But I now find myself putting on more miles than I'd like so the solution has been to go back to commuting in the prior wheels which I have yet to donate.

That leads to the next possibility, an older Vette for the commute to the train station. Still want to have fun in the daily drive and I've gotten far enough into the project to learn that the low $1X,000 will get a fairly low miles '92 or '93 Coupe, noting of course that the dealer service is walking distance to the station as well and I'm sure there will be things I want done to a decade old car. Now to find a stick since in that vintage only about 25% had the 6 speed as an option. Any tips on nice LT1 model coupes are worth at least a few beers at Pete's in Danville. This way I can save the '02 for longer event trips. Looking forward to that.
    In the search for a used C4, went by the local dealer where they have a history of not 'dealing'. I got my '02 in Montana since Nor. Calif. dealers were talking +3k to +5k when I got -2k off MSRP back in mid to late '01. But, surprise, only change is constant, when I said hi to one of the salesmen I'd gotten good info from he noted that the stickers were now -3k off and for the weekend they were promoting -5k off on Coupes, Verts and Z06, but not 50th models. If that is the local situation I'm betting the Internet might even be better and that could get some to move up to a new C5. I'm hoping it turns loose some nice C4's.
  • gbjerkegbjerke Member Posts: 158
    I have an '01 Z06...am also an old fart who stands 5-11 and weighs 210 and almost went with a NSX (wonderful car) but man, I had a tough time not banging my head trying to get into it.
    My big [non-permissible content removed] as to the Z06 was the crappy seats...terrible bolstering...BUT, I can spend a 600 mile day trip in them in total comfort.
    Seats not great but I must admit that 9-10 hours of saddle time is quite comfortable.
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    Don't know if this helps you guys but I am 6'8" and am able to get comfortable in the Vette.

I have not sat in one with a manual, so I don't know if there is room for my left leg to go between the steering wheel and the door.

not sure if I would by one without an extended test drive, but I could probably find a way to get comfortable by rocking the seat back .

My other cars are a '87 IROC and a 2001 Impala.

Getting in and out of the Vette was not fun.
  • avolvofanavolvofan Member Posts: 358
    I just got my 2003 Coupe! The delay (order was placed at the end of December, 2002) was due to the 3.15 performance rear axle ratio. I am 6'1" and the process that I use to get into the car is to use the steering wheel to steady myself while I slide into the drivers seat. An additional tip is to use the memory setting for the "normal" driving position. When you are getting into the car, slide the seat all the way back. Once you are in, press the memory button and then you are ready to go and have some fun.
    Congradulations! Please give us the 411 on your "Vette" experiences!
    My first impression is of the Magnetic Selective Ride Control: Incredible! My first test was driving over a railroad crossing with the setting on Tour - you could barely tell that you were driving over a railroad crossing. The ride is arguably as smooth as that of a Lexus.

Also, the leather used on the seats apears to be thicker than the leather used on even earlier 2003 corvettes. Only time will tell if my impression is true.
    Sounds fantastic to say the least. Now all I have to do is find a ride in an '03 to see what it's like personally. Welcome aboard and glad you got what you wanted, it's nice to go out in the morning and smile, even when I don't take the cover off and drive the old beater due to the weather. But hard to complain when we get the 3rd or 4th rain day in a month or so. ;)
    Wanted to enjoy the drive even when not driving the '02 Vette and didn't want to invest another arm and leg, so was looking for a C4 but with fairly low miles to commute to the train station. Looked at several C4's, 90 to 93 with 40k to 70k miles and couldn't really convince myself that I'd enjoy the drive. They really did get it right in the C5, as it is a big step up in comfort and ride and many other ways. Then, got a call on a '95 with only 18,000 miles, and although an automatic, it has the performance axle rear end which is probably as rare as sticks. In those years 6 speeds came in just barely above 25% of the cars. So, now the '02 Coupe is going to get a few less miles and be ready for 'events' while the '95 will do the daily chores and I'll still get to wave. Save the wave!
    http://www.50yearsofcorvette.com/

Link to Motor Trend info on the 50th and good info about all the generations leading up to current. Contest and Car Show if you are into that kind of thing.
    Two plus weeks into taking delivery of my 2003 Coupe with Magnetic Selective Ride Control (F55 option), and I am still amazed by the F55 system. Literally, as you drive, you can dial in comfort or sport settings. Even with the Sport setting, the ride is not objectionable. For comparison, the ride over the test roadway that I have been using for evaluation in an MBZ SLK32 was similar to riding on a galloping horse (or possibly an out-of-balance washing machine on full spin cycle....) The ride in an SL500 was only slightly better. Even with the F55 suspension setting on Sport, the ride was firmer than Tour, but not objectionably so (the ride with the setting on Tour was just a mild thump, thump, thump as I drove over expansion joints - no washing machine sensation at all....)

I think that the people who bought MBZs paid too much....

If there is one compelling option on the Corvette, it has got to be the F55 suspension. Once you have experienced it, anything else is a step down (or backward).
  • bsummbsumm Member Posts: 25
    quick tangent here: I'm thinking of getting a used vette. Problem is I can only afford up to $20k, which would probably put me in a 95-97 w/over 55k miles on it. How reliable are "higher" mileage vettes? Am I living in a dreamworld here? Please don't pull any punches. Thanks in advance!
    He has it right about low miles and funny thing is there are low miles cars out there. Some people only use a Vette as a weekend or event car so you can get some that are really babied, which may not be all good, btw. As to staying under $20k see if you can get the current May '03 issue of Vette for the annual Price Guide issue. They explain where and how they get the prices which come from speciality dealers for older models and how they may or may not apply to your area. Just so happens one of the dealers is Corvette's of Houston which is one of several that do a national business. I was looking for a C4 recently and was comparing the price guide for this year with last year.
        I was able to get a '95 with 18k for mid to upper $16's and it had auto with what is called the performance rear end. That is higher gear ratio for more off the line speed but lower mileage. Also check idavette.net for production info and you'll find for example that 3/4 of 95 cars came with auto and 2/3 of the autos came with the performance axle so it is quite common. But '95 had only just over 20k Vettes produced which makes it a low production year. Also, checking those sources may get you up to speed on ZR1's, Grand Sports and '93 40th cars and '96 Collector Editions, all of which impacts what people think they are worth.
       When I was looking I test drove 3 other Vettes with 40k to 70k miles all the way back to '90 and compared to a C5 (97 and on) they are really rough in ride. The low miles on the one I got seems to have made a huge difference in making it seem like a much newer car with fewer rattles and squeaks. Also, the Coupes are 2k to 2.5k lower than the vert's, and the targa top on the C4 is not an easy pop in and out. Takes a wrench, litterly.
       Good luck, interested to hear if you find what works and I enjoyed the process as well which several people recommended, and it took the pressure off early when I wondered if a particular car would be there when I got back to it, as several I called on were sold. Lots of Vettes and with the economy in the dumps lots available.
    I had not run the actual car I got through TMV so decided to do so tonight. I listed it as outstanding condition since it has only one flaw I've found, a worn piece of carpet corner on the passenger side foot area. As to refurbishing, I changed all the fluids and when they checked the brakes it has just around 10% on the rears (can you say riding the brake with the left foot) but the fronts were good so I did the rear brakes. Other than those it is cherry. The TMV was $16.2 for private party and $19.2 for Dealer. I got it for about $.5k above private party from a specialty dealer that probably would not have put it on the lot, it is too plain. They deal in muscle cars and exotics and most are $25k and up but the Corvette expert there, in the local club (a good source of info on availble cars) knew I was looking. So deals are out there, keep looking.
  • richt5richt5 Member Posts: 43
    This may be a bit-out of line,but I must ask. I own a steel-city color gray , big block 454 , 71 coupe with 54000 miles. 4 speed /air/leather,posi.and matching numbers---carb. to alternator. CHEV. /GM is run by the bean counters, the CAMERO is GONE. CHEV.could easily take over the performance/AMERICAN market ,but perfers to push trucks/suv's because of the 10k+ profit.SAD SITUATION --ANYTHING with any performance is 30k+--AGAIN A SAD SITUATION.Those of us who remember WHEN a performance car could be ordered from GM "FOR THE AVERAGE WORKING GUY".Profits are profits, all companies must have this, but LET NOT BEAN COUNTERS RUN THIS MARKET.The market is very ready for CHEV. to come out with this PERFOMANCE CAR.I really think this is not going to happen and THEY will put me as being an A.HOLE. THOSE OF US WHO HAVE FOLLOWED GM , WAITING FOR AN IMPORT FIGHTER $ FOR $ ARE OUT OF LUCK.So we go with the imports. GM SHAME ON YOU.I REALLY DONT WANT ANY COMMENTS ON THIS TIME . GM HAS STARTED THEIR OWN DEATH WALK. SAD TO SAY , BUT WE MAY BE SAYING "TOYOTA AND HONDA AND GM---WHO. NO CRAP ---DO YOUR HOMEWORK.GM MARKET SHARE IS DOWN , BUT $ REMAINING ACCEPTABLE BECAUSE OF TRUCKS AND SUV'S.I WANT TO BUY U.S. ,BUT HAVE VERY LIMITED CHOICIES, WHICH HAVE A SORRY AFFECT.AGAIN GIVE ME A GM CAR THAT CAN HANDLE, DO THE QUARTER MILE IN 13 SEC., THAT CAN STOP , BE RELIABLE , GOOD LOOKING AND LAST WITH MIN. DEALER STOPS AND YOU WILL BE ABLE TO SELL CARS 15 YEARS FROM NOW, BASED ON VALUE. IF NOT GM will not.
    I would also concur with Starrow 68. This is probably a good time to look and or buy a used Corvette. They are plenty of owners who have older cars ,with low miles on them. Also there are very late model cars with low miles on them.
    (definition: 12-15k is average mileage for the average driver in the USA)

Low miles also is not always the most desirable feature however. In my humble view, the Corvette was MADE to be driven.

Happy hunting!
  • bsummbsumm Member Posts: 25
    Good stuff! I appreciate the great advice...
    to wave! Save the Wave!

You have been told about corvetteactioncenter, which I enjoy but I find the corvetteforum.com forums, C4, Buy / Sell forum to have more traffic. I posted what I was looking for and got back several comments that did help me get what worked when all was said and done. Also I spent some time on autotrader.com and that was the source of several test drives I took. Just for fun I did a search on 77090 the zip for Corvettesofhouston and with 200 mile limit came up with 142 listings for '92 to '96. They say the listings are current but I found several sold cars listed here. Also noted what looked like several duplicates as well, so you have to put in some effort to find useful info. Also looked at Corvettesofhouston inventory and was surprised to find as with autotrader the asking prices were higher than what I found in NorCalif, which was a surprise, didn't think anything cost more than here. Good luck!
  • LaserLaser Member Posts: 4
    i did a search for 1997 models and they are starting to get affordable... around 25k.

how reliable are they? and is it easy to drive?

somehow, corvettes intimidate me a little. it seems very rough "american muscle" kind of way.

(i've been driving a 323i and the new mini btw.)

thanks for all comments.
    The C5 is a very drivable car. The only inhibition is crossing speed bumps or angled gutters - there is a risk of scraping the underside. However, there are frame skids and skid bar rollers that are available to protect from any scraping of the underside. I have been completely satisfied with my 2003 Coupe.

My sister has a 330i. I have also test driven a "mini" Compared with a Z06, I would guess that the BMW and the Mini will probably have slightly more concerns that a good used 1997-2003 Corvette Coupe or even a Convertible? As you probably will attest, to get the torque and or power on a mini and a BMW, you pretty much have to keep the revs up. This is not good or bad, just what you have to do. If you drive a Corvette in the same fashion you will probably be looking at some serious law enforcement attention! :)

So in fact ,the mini and the BMW are more "flog able" (no real term here, but hopefully it conveys the message.) If you are going to drive the Corvette the same way, it would be best to know what you are doing.

My only unschedule maintenance has been leaking rear differential seals, replaced under warranty.
    I too have had to learn with an '02 Coupe that you drive lower in the power band than in my former life. Never did realize how high in the power band I was driving, but since noticing I improved the average mileage by 4mpg (22 to 26) on the old beater I used during the winter just by thinking about not reving so much. Went through a period trying to get best mileage on the Vette and kept it so low in the power band that I was able to keep the average mpg at 22 with mostly local driving, nothing more than 5 miles at a time on a freeway. It can be driven very easy with no issues, although most hate the 1st to 4th skip shift put in to increase mileage on the 6sp, I just work around it.
       On the other hand, wide open throttle (WOT) is great on the occasions when you see a long opening on the freeway ahead of some traffic, as it goes past 65 in 2nd (say 6 sec's +) and that is just a stock coupe not the Z06. Compared to the older C4 models the C5, 97 and on is very comfortable, especially on long trips and from most of the discussions at local club meetings, very durable as well. It will also get fantastic mileage if kept below 70 on the freeway. Can't speak for the auto in the C5, I only get about 18mpg in the '95 C4 with local driving.
    Thanks for the input Starrow 68 !

The Vette has a very docile and very drive able side. If you drive it som it almost feels like an commute/economy car. I would say that a lot of that is due to the gobs of torque available at low end.

I have sometimes in traffic (low speed) kept the car in 4th gear, and it just hums along with not even a hint that you probably should use 2nd or third gear.

I have gotten a range of 22mpg to 29 mpg, but keep in mind the Z06 's first through 4th gear, has10% more aggressive gearing than the Coupe and/or the Convertible. So a high of 32-33 mpg is not outside the realm of possibility.

The thing that still makes me shake my head is cruising at XXX with the A/C on, with 104 degree ambient temperatures, with two people in the car, and a weeks worth of luggage and still getting 26.6 mpg. YEE HA !!
  • bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,471
    I am recent to this forum, so forgive me if I am going over traveled road. I am very interested in getting a new convertible. The 50th Anniv. version looks georgeous, but I wonder if it is worth getting (or if I could likely even get one) or would I be better off from a deal standpoint getting a standard one with appropriate options. If I do that, should I get the trick suspension that's on the 50th Anniv job? Thanks.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

Thanks for all the advice.

It sounds like a great car for a great price. I would like to go for a test drive.

Does anyone know any no hassle/no haggle car dealerships around New York City?

I'll probably be looking for a C5 coupe, stick shift, around 25k with around 50k or less mileage. Just don't wanted to be cheated by a used car salesman.

I don't know anything about used cars / mechanics. (but love driving :) )
    Wow, this one is a bit complicated to answer! The options, 50th Anniversary Edition and Selective Magnetic Ride control are $4300/1458 respectively! When compared to the options list on a Z06, the price can be VERY north of 50k.

If I had a choice between a Z06 and a 50th AN ED Convertible, I think I would still chose the Z06. At XXX speeds, I think the convertible would drive me to drink. :) Although there is nothing cooler and enjoyable than cruising a hot August night in a Corvette Convertible!!!

I have driven extensively in NYC and also NY state. (circa 1974-76, not with a Vette however). I can almost categorically say that driving/maintaining a Vette would probably turn out to be a chore. :(

I wind up driving in San Francisco, and I wind up being far more careful than in my Toyota Landcruiser! Frankly a lot of San Francisco roads resembles off road type of conditions which can be easily handled by the TLC.
    I've heard of $5k off at local dealers which is fantastic, for coupes and verts, compared to 3k to 5k over 2 years ago. On the other hand, if you go to the internet either corvetteforum.com or corvetteactioncenter.com and look for supporting dealers you may even find a better deal, I did back in 2nd half of 2001. Is the 50th package worth it? Depends! If you plan to keep the car as a special purpose low miles event car with just weekend driving it might be. If you are looking for a daily driver I would have to doubt it. The Mag Red color seems about the same to me as the 50th color but I like blue Corvettes, so what do I know.
       On the Magnetic Ride Control, I've read fantastic reports and talked to one owner who says it is really amazing. It is something worth looking into. And on the vert premium, I too like to have a closed vehicle if I get 'to speed' and taking the top off the Coupe is a piece of cake, just don't forget a latch on replacing it, I've read several stories of damage as it comes out around 50mph if not secure.
       Good luck all on the search, getting a test drive in anything but a used one was a problem around here, don't know about other areas.
    One thing to keep in mind regarding the 50th Anniversary Edition: the residual values per GMAC are lower than for the non-50th Anniversary Edition coupe and convertible. Go figure.
  • bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,471
    I pretty much figured that I wasn't going to get any deals on a 50th Anniversary package, but haven't looked at what I can get on regular 'verts. I sure didn't figure on the hit in residual value that avolvofan mentioned however. With regard to coupe vs. convertible, I live in So. Cal., so 'verts are nice to have. I might look at the coupe and its removable top however just to be sure. Still wouldn't get me into a ZO6, however, since they don't have the removable top, and I couldn't handle having a completely closed car; the open air just does too much for my attitude.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

The other way to look at it should you indeed want to do "mods" is that $5,758. (4300/1458) dollars will buy a LOT of mods. :)

Now if you are willing to go from a convertible to a Coupe, there is a difference in invoice price of an additional $5346. Which will buy a lot of mods. :)

So did I mention that 11,104 total will buy a LOT of mods? :)

(actually at todays gas prices of 2.25 per gal with 25 mpg, the above amount will buy you in excess of 123,000 miles of gas)
  • jwilson1jwilson1 Member Posts: 956
    what would you do with $10,000 for mods? And what sort of performance return would you get for the money?

JW
    For my .02cents I am opting for the gas and tires! :) I love seeing America, even though I have been cross country several times! With a roughly 1000 mile a day range, I can be almost anyway in the states in 1,2,3-4 days. I have been to Canada several times already! From here, (San Jose, CA) I can get to Vancover BC. in 10-11 hrs.

The Z06 is pretty well balanced already. For example, when they went from 385 HP to 405 HP they had to change not only things in the engine but had to beef up the drive train also. If I were to do this, a minium would be 525-550 hp. When I went to the specialized Vette shop I take it to for maintenance, I got a ride in a 550 hp and a 650 hp modified cars that the shop owner needed to get some ring out and dial in time. Needless to say the 650 hp version was WAY over the top!
    So would you guys recommend against it?

Its definitely rough roads. But I only intend to use it in the weekends.

Thanks for all the replies.