Subaru Crew Cafe

Comments

• Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    For autoX? Beater duty?

-juice
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    mostly for beater duty, but it will likely fill in @ auto-x when I can't drive Hypov's WRX wagon :)

-mike
  • Options
    erics6erics6 Member Posts: 684
    Interesting article from our paper The Oregonianon the Honda CRV http://www.oregonlive.com/info/drivetime/chip_keen/index.ssf?/base/automotive/1046523370179670.xml.
  • Options
    hammersleyhammersley Member Posts: 684
    Mike: Agreed, we don't "need" the motorhome. Sure, it's a bit excessive. We don't put a lot of miles on it annually, so fuel use isn't minimal, but nevertheless not excessive.

At the time we got it, it was a means to an end. The end (RV'ing) will continue, but we're going to modify the means (Suburban/trailer) next year.
    Puts more 'utility' in the SUV equation, too.

Cheers!
    Paul
  • Options
    lucien2lucien2 Member Posts: 2,984
    My problem is absolutely with the game, as you say. Most SUV owners here in the Crew use their vehicles more for utility than simply as a bigger, badder, car replacement. And as I said, I wish I had kept the 'yoda for similar utility issues.

But I do think the amount of $$ margin built into them, particularly some of the lower-tech domestics is criminal, and the marketing of the things is also questionable to me.

Funny you should mention the house; we've got 1500 square feet in a rowhouse and we've decided this is where the family raisin' is going to take place.

a related piece I found amusing, and could really relate to:
    http://www.autoweek.com/columnists/cat_content_columnists.mv?port- _code=autoweek&cat_code=columnists&loc_code=index&con- tent_code=02803027
  • Options
    I'm a small car guy, too, and so I feel the same way.

Sadly, some times your needs conflict with your wants. I want a 2-seat roadster with the capacity of a van and the clearance and drive system of an SUV and the price of an econobox. Sound reasonable enough? :-)

I think it's weird that Subaru says the same thing - chain on the fronts only, AFAIK. I can't imagine that would work well. Why not all 4?

-juice
  • Options
    hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    I can relate to that as well, back home in Ireland, we had a little Morris Minor when our daughter was born.

At that point in my life I was lucky to own a car, any car, and yes it was small and a lot of people I know would have given their eyeteeth to have owned it.

Most SUVs are about making a statement and about the only time most will be off road is when they are upside down in a ditch.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Interesting article on the CR-V. I guess that's the limitation of a part-time AWD system.

I've heard of someone putting chains on all four tires on their Subaru. Not suprisingly, the traction is incredible.

Ken
  • Options
    jthorsenjthorsen Member Posts: 39
    So how do some of the other manufacturer's AWD systems stack up? (I figured I'd go right to the experts on this one.) I'm thinking of newer cars in the last year or so that offer AWD, like the Vibe/Matrix, Murano, FX35/45, etc. Most of these seem pretty light weight compared to Subaru (although the system on the Infiniti sounds like it'd be awesome for performance, but I don't know how it'd hold up in adverse weather conditions.) Any thoughts?

Also, how do you think more and more manufacturers offering AWD (at least on some models) affects Subaru? Their system may be better, but is the general car buyer going to know it?

Thanks!
    Jon
  • Options
    My main arguement for SUVs is that this is America, where we have things such as Row-homes which are absolutely palacial compared to say urban India or Sub-Saharan Africa! We drive RVs and tow travel trailers that cost more in the long run than staying at a motel-8! So why is it that people choose to go after SUVs? Why not hate people who live in large homes? Or have personal pools rather than community pools? Why hate the manufacturers who are selling SUVs at excessive prices, why not hate General Mills for selling Cereal for $5/box or Starbucks for selling $4.50 cups of coffee! See it's all a matter of perspective :)

-mike
  • Options
    I don't hate them, or the people driving them. I'm not that extreme, and I do agree totally that it is a matter of perspective. I'm just saying I wish buyers had a little more...well, perspective. The manufacturers have marketed SUVs so agressively because they are high margin vehicles that skirt the usual safety and emissions laws. All I am saying is that I think many buyers have been hoodwinked into a vehicle they don't really need. You guys tow and camp in yours...cool! You even go off-roading! Great, someone is using the thing properly. You know darn well you are a minority among SUV owners. No problem with that at all. Like I said, wish I still had my 4Runner.
    Even better are light pickups, now the best selling mode of transport in the country.

Ok, so now my dander is up. I don't hate people in large homes, but I do wish some folks would get perspective there, too. I can't believe MD is having water problems, but we are! 'Coz nobody wants to live in Baltimore where the scary people are (they would never actually say this, but that's what the reason is. I know a lot of people who refuse to come into town for a meal downtown because "we'd be mugged or shot"). Oh no, everyone's gotta have a cookie cutter McMansion in an artificial suburb, so now Sprawl is out of hand. Water is getting scarce, roads are clogged, it is a PITA to drive anywhere. Of course, the best part is when middle-class folks from the "scary" demographic in Baltimore move out there too, then everybody hikes up their skirts and run even farther away. So yea, I'm a city guy in a smallish rowhouse and I'm staying put precisely because it is palatial compared to some parts of the world...people have raised good kids in less space than I've got, so I am not buying into this notion, marketed by the home construction industry, that I need a spec home in the county. (Plus they'll all fall apart in 30 years anyway; they're already starting to down in TX). I don't hate the folks who make these choices, and obviously I'm generalizing way off scale because I'm hepped up. I have cousins and in-laws and friends in exactly the communities I describe; fair's fair, and everyone has the freedom to do what they want. I just wish we as consumers would think it all through.

And I don't drink Starbuck's.

As for RV's, they are specialty vehicles that don't get driven around everyday PLUS they're diesel a lot of the time. As you say, this is America, and an RV is a great way to see it all. Now if folks started using them as grocery getters, then I'd get upset.
  • Options
    ....this site is now throwing about half a dozen little cookies on each page today, which is a bummer since I have to accept or decline each one.
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Speaking as a former owner of one, I know they are relatively efficient, as compared to a conventional stand-alone home. Why? Because two of the "exterior" walls (assuming you don't live in an end unit) are shared with neighboring row homes, so no energy is lost via the shared walls.

Just a bit of trivia.

Bob
  • Options
    :-) just kidding. Breathe, breathe.... LOL
  • Options
    Just trying to get people to think is all. A lot of times people get tied up in the SUV arguement and don't look at how many other excesses we have.

Breathe deep Loosh... Count to 10... :)

-mike
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Even though I post on this subject rather often, for the most part, I try to stay out of these discussions. Virtually everything—pro or con—has been said at least a 1000 times before. I'm not likely going to add anything new or productive to the discussion; so, why bother?

Bob
  • Options
    lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
  • Options
    Ok Cafe Crew, need a little help.

We want to buy a camcorder, and I figure digital is probably the way to go at this point. Do any of you have any recommendations? Under $600 would be nice. Thanks in advance!

ps sorry if I made anybody mad. I really was ranting like a loony there.
  • Options
    K9LeaderK9Leader Member Posts: 112
    I am going to look at a 2000 Outback Ltd today. I believe they came standard with Firestone Wilderness tires, and AFAIK this one still has the original tires.
    Are these the same tires that caused so much trouble on Ford Explorers?

Five minutes later:
    Okay, I guess I should have done a little research before posting the above. The NHTSA and Bridgestone/Firestone sites include information that answers the question. They are not -- different size, possibly different manufacturing plant. At least they are not included in the recall.
  • Options
    Jon: I can't believe noone jumped on that discussion! :-)

The thing is, Subaru itself has 3 very distinct systems. And sure, they and Audi have far more experience than anyone else, but their best system is their newest, VDC.

I rank them this way:

1. VDC - because both axles are managed and it's proactive
    2. auto AWD - because it can be proactive, rear LSD optional
    3. VC on 5 speeds - reactive, though default 50/50 is fun, rear LSD optional

2 and 3 add optional rear LSD, which make them even better. Where do competitors stack up? Matrix and Vibe use a VC, don't they? So tied with #3, perhaps with an edge to Subaru for their greater experience.

What does the Murano use? I think it's part-time and reactive, so that would be 4th. I'm not sure about the FX45's AWD system.

Here's a check list you could use, to see if the system you choose truly has it all:

* rear axle managed?
    * default power to both axles?
    * truly pro-active nature?
    * front axle managed?
    * low range offered?
    * manual locking offered?

VDC offeres the first 4, and that's quite a feat. The other two systems offer 2 or 3 of those.

Loosh: I have a Sony DSC-75. It's great, the transfer rate is quick and pix are excellent even cropped and enlarged. Memory sticks are small and my 128MB fits 100 photos at 3.3 megapixels. Cons? It's medium sized, not small, and a little heavy. Sony does make smaller cameras. About $500, Consumer Reports rated it highly - no cheaper camera scored better overall, put it that way.

The tires on the Outback are fine - they are H-rated and have much better heat resistance than the SUV tires that were recalled. Having said that, they're not particularly great tires and people tend to swap to something better next time around.

-juice
  • Options
    You were not ranting like a loony there, most of what you had to say is the outright truth, bigger is not always better.

Like it or not the bigger the vehicle the more gas it uses= more smog and pollution=more greenhouse effect,urban sprawl= more congestion contributing to pollution and smog.

We are polluting lakes and large bodies of fresh water like there is no tomorrow,it is time to give serious thought to what sort of a planet we are going to leave for our children and their children.

And if some posters on these threads who have demonstrated good old redneck tendancies want to brand me a tree hugger so be it.

We have got to get away from the notion I am going to have it just because I can, the mindset in a lot cases seems to be if I cannot get bigger then I will get two of it.

I am with you in agreeing there are a very small minority who use SUVs in the way they were intended.

But just yesterday I witnessed a very small woman in a Ford excursion drive into a shopping centre cell phone stuck in her ear. she tried to back into a parking space while carrying on her phone conversation and demolished the side of a Ford focus in the process.

This woman unfortunately represents a lot of who are driving SUVs simply because they feel safer.

There my rant is over.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    Solution: the Focus owner upgrades to an Expedition! There, now we're all safe! LOL

-juice
  • Options
    but I am looking for a video camera. Sorry, that wasn't clear the first time.....
  • Options
    But it's not only SUVs. Exceessively large homes need to be heated, RVs burn excessive amounts of fuel, etc. etc. Why single out SUVs?

-mike
  • Options
    p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Mike- "So why is it that people choose to go after SUVs?" Maybe because non-SUV drivers are forced into trying to see around them on a daily basis. "Why not hate people who live in large homes?" Some people do. After all, does a family of 3 really need 5 bedrooms and 3 1/2 baths in their McMansion in the exurbs? But then they are hidden away out of sight for the most part as opposed to SUVs, which are in everyone's face. "Or have personal pools rather than community pools?" Same as previous but even more so. "Why hate the manufacturers who are selling SUVs at excessive prices" I don’t. I simply vote with my wallet (and they're not getting any of my money). "why not hate General Mills for selling Cereal for $5/box or Starbucks for selling $4.50 cups of coffee!" Hey, I buy generic cereals and wouldn’t be caught dead in a Starbucks. Again, I vote with my wallet but unfortunately the herd mentality rules for many others. Of course, just by owning a Subaru, we owners have already demonstrated a certain degree of resistance to the herd mentality :-)

-Frank P.
  • Options
    bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    A Grand Cherokee beside me nearly lost control last weekend. We were stopped at a light and making a left onto an interstate. The GC was on the inside and gunned it hard. I backed off and he fishtailed back and forth 3 or 4 times.

Two weeks ago, I saw a Highlander on it's side on the freeway.
  • Options
    bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    Jon - It's hard to get a response when people here are in a big debate. :-) juice responded as always though.

As mentioned, there are several Subaru AWD systems. The VDC is one of the most advanced in the country.
    Like you said, I doubt the general public is aware of the different systems. Heck, the average Joe that buys a Jeep probably doesn't know the difference between Selec-Trac, Quadra-Drive, etc.

If anything, I think Subaru is losing potential customers that need more space. The 7-seater Subaru can't come quick enough!

Subaru is getting a lot of new customers by finally introducing turbos throughout the line.

-Dennis
  • Options
    For those accidents Dennis, not the vehicles. I almost got smacked by a honda civic the other day and saw a toyota camary flipped over in the median on wed.

-mike
  • Options
    You are following too closely if you can't see around them. Period end of discussion on that. You should have at least 1 car-length for ever 10mph you are travelling.

-mike
  • Options
    Glad to see you voting with your wallet, that is how Capitalists do it :) Unfortunately the MAJORITY of people like and want SUVs so you guys are stuck with em! hee hee hee.

-mike
  • Options
    Real world calling Paisan! I thought you lived and drove in the city? If so, just try leaving the textbook amount of space between you and the vehicle in front and I can almost guarantee that another car (or SUV) will pull into.

-Frank P.
  • Options
    I'm reciting the law. If you don't like it... that's not my problem :) I drive my SVX in the city and I'm right behind the SUVs like everyone else. It doesn't bother me though that I can't see around em, if I feel that i'm in danger of following too closely I leave more room. It's not a race afterall, I save the racing for the track.

-mike
  • Options
    "SVX in the city": isn't that an HBO show? ;-)

Ed
  • Options
    LOL! Paisan has suddenly converted to a law-abiding citizen!

-Frank P.
  • Options
    Hey if I'm breaking the law I have zero rights to complain about stuff. Therefore if I'm tailgating I can't complain about an SUV in front of me. If I'm speeding I can't complain that there is a lumbering SUV in front of me, etc. etc.

-mike
  • Options
    I saw something interesting - that a high-vantage point makes it seem like the road is passing by under you a little slower. So when you sit up high, you tend to drive faster than normal.

The drivers don't even realize it, they just tend to drive faster without even realizing that they are. It's one factor that contributes.

Overconfidence is another, but that's the driver's fault.

-juice
  • Options
    juice: I've noticed that phenomenon as well. When I'm in an airliner at 35,000 feet, it really doesn't feel like I'm traveling at about 500 mph.

Ed
  • Options
    The other thing is, of course, diminished capabilities. I'm sure someone will compare the Cayenne to the Geo Metro and argue SUVs can be made to handle better, but in general an SUV will not handle like a similar car in the same price class. An RS6 will annihalate that Cayenne.

To get that ground clearance and high vantage point you raise the center of gravity. So SUVs are generally less capable than an equivalent wagon/car would be.

Hence by nature you have people driving faster in less capable vehicles. That's a recipe for disaster, even taking driver error out of the equation.

-juice
  • Options
    As you know, I've tossed around my Trooper pretty good, and it's LIFTED. If your theory was true, I should have rolled it no matter what my driving skills are...

-mike
  • Options
    OK, compare your Trooper to one that's been lowered 2 inches. Which one will be able to complet a turn with a tighter turning radius?

Clearly, the lowered one. That's what autocross is all about.

So, the lowered Trooper could potentially steer clear of an accident that your lifted one could not. I'm not saying you would roll over - I'm just saying you would skid out and not complete the same tight turn.

You're Mr. Drift so you know that more than anyone. You just leave more room to complete a turn than you would in the SVX, for instance.

-juice
  • Options
    I drive my truck in a different style than my SVX, because it is a TRUCK and knowing it has a higher center of gravity etc, I drive it in such a manner. This is where driver skill comes into play. Drivers need to drive in a manner that is suitable for their vehicle. Blame the drivers, not the SUVs...

-mike
  • Options
    OK, now that we're on the same page...

I'm sure you'll agree, 90% of the drivers on the road are basically unskilled. Meaning they can drive under normal circumstances, but have no idea how to react in emergency situations.

Let's face it, you could get a driver's license issued to you over the phone, basically.

OK, now couple that lack of skill with a vehicle that makes you feel like you're going slower than you really are. Unskilled drivers + higher than expected speeds + trucks with lower lateral G limits = ???

Simple math.

-juice
  • Options
    Maybe we change the subject before this becomes another "I hate SUVs, why don't you?" forum ;-)

-Frank P.
  • Options
    About your comment excessively large homes need to be heated maybe so, but they are not loading the atmosphere with smog and emissions.

As for RVs they are on the road for a fraction of the year not everyday of the week like gas guzzling SUVs.

And I don't care what case anybody makes for large SUVs, in most cases they are overkill, 90% of the time they are on the road they only have the driver on board, you are in a very small minority who genuinely use an SUV like it was intended.

My origional post was against excess in all its forms, we have to get away from this f you jack I am fireproof attitude which is so prevalent now.

It does not matter how big SUVS get people are buying them, look at Hummers these were purely military heavy vehicles but now you have jokers with more money than brains driving them as every day vehicles.

Nobody can make a case to me for a housewife to jump in a Ford Excursion or Cadillac Escalade or any large SUV for that matter to drive to the corner store for a carton of milk, or the legions of oversized gas guzzlers carrying nothing more than a driver that are clogging highways every day of the week.

In conclusion Mike it is obvious that you disagree with anybody who has a negative stance on SUVs so I will agree to disagree with you and leave it at that.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    Proves my point that they need to be held responsible for their actions. We shouldn't dumb-down vehicles for their sake. If someone is a dangerous driver they will be dangerous if they are in a Civic or an Excursion. Emporers new clothes if you will...

-mike
  • Options
    About your comment excessively large homes need to be heated maybe so, but they are not loading the atmosphere with smog and emmissions.

Having worked at an electric power plant I can tell you that in fact they do pollute, maybe not in your backyard, but in SOMEONEs backyard Coal/Oil/Gas burners pollute a ton!

So Pat you agree that anytime someone is alone in a vehicle they should be driving a metro/prius/hybrid that seats only 1 person, 2 at the most, afterall these people driving a legacy are wasting extra fuel for 3 empty seats, awd that costs more fuel, etc.

Regardless of how the minority of anti-suvers are, the silent majority is voting with their pocketbooks and SUVs are winning clearly.

-mike
    I may not agree with what you drive, but I'll fight to the death for your right to drive it :)
  • Options
    Like I said we will agree to disagree.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    wrxsoon1wrxsoon1 Member Posts: 158
    OK. It's not Lance....yet. But the first great result was had by the Posties this past weekend, 2nd in the Belgian classic Het Volk by Max van Heeswik (sp?). Also, here's a pick of Antonio Cruz such that you can see Subaru's spot on their new jerseys...

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/?id=2003/mar03/hetvolk/13889321- .cruz

-Ian
  • Options
    Neat pic, wrxsoon1. I'm sure some people will object to seeing Subaru's name on the USPS jersey, but they should bear in mind that many rural mail carriers did - and still do - drive RHD Legacy wagons.

Ed
  • Options
    jthorsenjthorsen Member Posts: 39
    Thanks for the responses Juice and Dennis, I guess I should have known better than to ask a question in the middle of a raging debate over SUVs!

I believe the FX uses an updated version of the Skyline's AWD system (called ATTEAS or something like that) so it's 100% rear wheel drive until there's slippage (not sure if it's reactive or proactive though). I believe the Murano is 100% front wheel drive until all 4 wheels are needed, but again I don't know if it's reactive or proactive.

I'm curious b/c AWD is a requirement on my next car (in June) and my feelings on what to get vary pretty much by the hour. :) (Hey, the fun part is looking at and drving all the new cars out there!)

On one end of the spectrum lies the Vibe, which is pretty unexciting (and downright lethargic) but ultra cheap with near invoice pricing plus a $2,000 rebate plus $3,500 in GM card earnings. (You'd think after 7 years they'd make at least one car that I want to buy, but nooo...) While the Vibe may be unexciting, the good part about this option is the strong possibility for a second, fun summer car next year with all the money I save!

On the other end lies the Murano, which I haven't driven yet but saw one in person for the first time the other day, and it took my breath away! I didn't think it looked very good in pictures, but the silver one I saw was gorgeous (IMO).

In the middle of the spectrum are the various Subaru offerings, if they make it out in time -- '04 WRX wagon, Forester XT, and redesigned Legacy?? (very long shot).

I know there are others that could fit in here (CR-V and all the other mini-utes, A4 1.8T Avant, Passat 4motion) but these are the current finalists, unless anyone has any others I should consider...

-Jon