2024 Chevy Blazer EV lease from Bayway Auto Group Click here

2024 Jeep Grand Cherokee lease from Mark Dodge Click here

2025 Ram 1500 Factory Order Discounts from Mark Dodge Click here
Options

Subaru Crew Cafe

Comments

• Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    It's true, we got $7 grand for a 7 years old 626 with plenty of miles on it.

A Subie would only be worth more, especially a wagon with AWD.

I bought that Miata when it was 8 years old, now it's 10 years old and I could sell it for about what I paid. Used cars are already depreciated.

-juice
  • Options
    potenzauspotenzaus Member Posts: 29
    Thanks Subaru crew, I have come to my senses to keep my GT until it's paid off and I understand the downside of getting that lease. After all this GT drives much like a 3 series (well at least it feels like it to me)...
  • Options
    p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
  • Options
    hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    Is all relative as well,2 years ago when I bought the GT, the black book retail for my 93 Accord EX wagon was $7,800 CDN, I got $10,000 CDN on trade and the little dealer that I work with sold it for $11,500 CDN.

Now my wagon was in exceptional condition and the Accord wagon was and still is a very rare car in these parts, what I am really saying is book values are guidelines and nothing more,your car is worth what somebody else is willing to pay for it.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    Didn't your daughter get it? Or was that a different Accord?

-juice
  • Options
    lucien2lucien2 Member Posts: 2,984
    she got the sedan with the mods....IIRC
  • Options
    My daughter got my 89 Accord sedan, (my baby).

Cheers Pat. Beat me to it Loosh
  • Options
    I swear I thought I'd seen a wagon on that trailer, was that the one you traded in? Or am I losing my memory (wouldn't be the first time)?

-juice
  • Options
    fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    you are losing your hair along with your memory!

Steve
  • Options
    And he'll be completely bald once his daughter hits her teens! :(o)

-Frank P.
  • Options
    To refresh your aging memory.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    someone has a good hand at how to post pictures now! ;-)

-Brian
  • Options
    fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    next to that sexy car?

Steve (punch-drunk after 13+ hrs on the job...)
  • Options
    Thanks to your clear intructions I am now able to post at will.

Why thank you Steve, that was my beloved baby now belonging to my daughter.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    I'm sure that car was cleaner than the day you bought it when you daughter picked it up.

-juice
  • Options
    I was pretty proud of that car, it was 11 years old when she picked it up and it did not have a single sratch, dent or door ding inside or out.

It was all totally origional paint and body.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    nygregnygreg Member Posts: 1,936
    Problem with that now, is that your Honda is your "gold standard" by which all other cars will be judged. Might be difficult to live up to the Honda's legacy (pun intended). Mine was a 92 Camry which I wish I kept.

Greg
  • Options
    Does everyone have one of those, "the one that got away"?

I have this strange feeling that Sandy is mine, that I should keep her because she's been so good to me.

-juice
  • Options
    The Titan is pretty well standing on his own merits, I just love this car, I still get that stupid smile of satisfaction everytime I go for a drive, I hope to have a long and happy association with him.

As for the Honda, I don't quite why but it was all in a class by itself from day one, and I put a lot of me in that car, with the exception of the body there was nothing that was not in some way modified by me.

I would have kept it but I have lots of major medical problems and the effort of keeping two cars in that condition was just too much, so I reluctantly let it go to my daughter, she had her eye on that car from day one, and it could not have gone to a better home she will take care of it the way it should be.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    right now for the OB is to maintain her very well so my oldest daughter can have her when she is driving (6 years?). I think it will be a great car for her. Someone at work asked me about Subarus for his daughter today. I gave him the sales pitch. :)

Greg
  • Options
    wrxsoon1wrxsoon1 Member Posts: 158
    R.I.P. Fred Rogers. May you live on forever in our memories and in reruns. I don't have kids yet but I hope they get to grow up with you like I did. Godspeed.

http://entertainment.msn.com/news/article.aspx?news=116004

-Ian
  • Options
    Saw that and I got all choked up. I was born on raised in front of the TV and he was usually on it. RIP in whatever color sweater you like best Mr. Rogers.

-juice
  • Options
    kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Heard the news too. Mr. Rogers was definetly a part of my childhood also. A sad day...

Ken
  • Options
    grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786
    G'day

I still regret letting my lovely Mk II Golf GTi 8v get away. That was a storming car for twisty roads and just the most fun imaginable. At the end of the lease (3 years) it was something like £3000 and was in super condition.

I often wonder what happened to it. I've seen one or two of my previous cars subsequently and they never look quite right. Sort of like catching up with ex-lovers. Memory is never the same as the moment.

Cheers

Graham
  • Options
    Ah, nostalgia...

-juice
  • Options
    well, 2 actually.

1) 1967 Buick Riviera, 4 barrel 430. Inherited from a relative. PArents were afraid of it....I loved it. It threw a rod and Dad got rid of it; I was 17 and I cried myself to sleep that night!!!

http://www.redeemer.on.ca/~cknowles/chron/67-riv.html

ok you gotta click on "1967" but it is worth it. A Rare model. I loved those hideaway headlights. The hydraulics on mine were shot though, so I did it manually every evening. :-)

2) 1986 Toyota 4Runner. What a sweet truck. Bought it with 90k for $6000. Sold it with 188k for $2000. Should have kept it and rebuilt the engine; it had zero rust and was a great old school suv. Got the Outback and couldn't justify 3 cars. Dumb. It was sooooo paid for.
  • Options
    ladywclassladywclass Member Posts: 1,713
    About 1970, when I got the drivers license, I ended up with my grandmother's 57 Chevrolet BelAir with automatic. It was light blue and white. At the time it only had less than 70,000 miles on it. Man, that thing was built like a tank and I loved it. Unfortunately they sold it in 1972, when I was going to be commuting about 50 miles a day to college and got me a '67 Dodge Coronet. I missed that '57 and wish I still had it.
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Another competitor for Subaru, down under. I wonder if Subie's up-coming 7-passenger crossover might be something like this, but with a boxer engine of course?

http://www.drive.com.au/news/article.asp?article=http://drive.fairfax.com.au/content-new/news/general/2003/02/28/FFXIGSDZOCD.html

Hmmm... It looks like you will have to copy-'n-paste this link, for it to work properly.

Bob
  • Options
    wrxsoon1wrxsoon1 Member Posts: 158
    Great article! I'd have to agree with most of it.

I'll come clean. The reason I don't like SUV's? I can't see around them while I'm driving my car! That and the current car I drive can't keep up with those damn V8 powered behemoths! Now, where's my 2.5T Legacy wagon? At least that will solve half my problem. LOL!

-Ian
  • Options
    is that they are high profit, low tech, regulation-avoiding money machines. Especially the domestics. Well o.k.,the thrilling driving dynamics are a plus too. I'll take Forester, please! :-)
  • Options
    Plus the single biggest reason that most people buy SUVs is because they are today's status symbol.

-Frank P.
  • Options
    Loosh in a big Buick? Hard to imagine. 4Runner too.

I bet that '57 would be worth more today, Brenda!

That Falcon looks nice.

I'd be happy if the headlights on SUVs weren't mounted so high. While you're at it, lower the bumpers, too, and force them to meet the same CAFE and safety standards as cars.

But change the law first. You can't blame Ford for wanting to make a profit. It's their DUTY to do so, for the shareholders.

-juice
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Lowering the bumpers defeats the purpose of an SUV, and you know that Juice!

I agree, change the laws first, the companies are in business to make $$$$ not to be benelovent...

-mike
  • Options
    moosejawmoosejaw Member Posts: 10
    a segment on 60 Minutes last night about SUVs. The person; whose expertise on the subject was the focus of the interview, made a point about people’s conceptions on SUVs. While people won’t admit their purchase is a status symbol, they justify it as being safer to drive because you’re higher up. One woman claimed she liked her SUV because she “was above everybody else”. He claimed that most people who go by this pretense shut down any thoughts that the higher you are the more likely you are to flip it over.

I’m not sure what got stuck in this guy’s craw that makes so adamantly against SUVs. Any car is dangerous if you drive it like a maniac. But, there was a rash of over turned SUVs with the bad snow storms we been having here on the East Coast.

I personally like the look of a lot of SUVs on the market, but have always preferred small cars like my OBS. If Subaru made a 2-seater, I’d be first on line to get it.
  • Options
    outback_97outback_97 Member Posts: 130
    S uperfluous
    U nnecessary
    V ehicle

(in most cases.)

utahsteve
  • Options
    Don't be SUV haters... Hate the Game, don't hate the Players! :)

-mike
  • Options

S uperfluous
    U nnecessary
    V ehicle

I think this suits us Americans just fine! :)
    I wonder how many SUV haters have "extra" rooms in their homes? or what their take would have been on the extravegent railcars of the day? etc. etc.

-mike
  • Options
    hammersleyhammersley Member Posts: 684
    in our house or our cars!

Matter of fact, we could use an extra room or two, since we have a couple rooms now that are pulling double or triple duty. We are cozy, however :)

As far as the cars go, the MV is quickly becoming too small, for kids, their stuff, and their (our)associated carpools. Our long-range plan is to roll the motorhome into a travel trailer in 2004, thus we need a towing rig. So, we need a vehicle that will do all those things. Excursion is too big, no question. Suburban fits our needs. We'll use it responsibly, as we do most all of our resources. So, please don't shoot the messenger (driver), you can still dislike the vehicles, but our needs are legitimate.

Whoever raised the argument about "riding high", I can see their point. Next time you see a fire truck, note how tall in the saddle the driver is. It's a great view from up there, I can attest!

Cheers!
    Paul
  • Options
    That's funny Paul. So I guess you "need" a motorhome???? That seems a bit excessive, no??? See excessive is all a POV. You don't see your motorhome as excessive, but some might see it that way.

-mike
  • Options
    There's a current radio ad for the Toyota Tundra, which touts how big and powerful a truck it is. At one point in the ad a driver says that driving his Tundra makes him want to yell "get out of my way before I run over and squash your puny car!"

Sad thing is that some drivers really think that way. There has been plenty of evidence that owners of large SUVs drive more aggressively. Now there's the just released studies that show that SUV manufacturers have increased chassis rigidity in an effort to garner better crash test scores. However, by doing so, they have exponentially increased the likelihood of serious injury or death for the occupants of the vehicle they crash into. Somehow we need to break this bigger is better cycle before people start buying 18-wheelers!

-Frank P.
  • Options
    paisan: lower bumpers for the 97% of SUV buyers (soccer moms) won't defeat their purpose (shopping malls, grocery shopping, etc.).

How about this: if no low range, lower the bumpers. Sound fair? :-)

Frank: one word - Unimog!

I still go back to my idea, i.e. change the laws first. If the SUV CAFE was 27.5mpg they would *have* to be smaller and more fuel efficient. Let's add the 2.5mph bumper standard (and add a height limit while you're at it), roof crush resistance, emissions, etc.

For those that insist on Excursions, fine, add a hefty gas guzzler tax. Most SUVs would pay a gas guzzler tax if they had to be registered as passenger cars (which is how they are used).

-juice
  • Options
    Are registered as passenger cars, at least in NYS. Commercial Registrations are more expensive in NYS.

As for the lower bumpers, for the non-offroaders, then, why buy an SUV in the first place goes back to the arguement they could be driving mini-vans. It's the "image" of rugged off-road-worthyness that is selling, not the actual capabilities.

-mike
  • Options
    I saw the show also. They were interviewing a psychologist who contracts out to the auto industry. His view is that SUV buyers are driven by a primate urge to be bigger, stronger and can survive unlikely situations and justify it with the safety, room, 4WD comments. Funny, he mentioned that he advised the auto company(ies) that if they could mount a machine gun on top, they will sell like hot cakes. I still don't get it.

Greg
  • Options
    Your absolutely right. It's all image for 90% of people. I'll just drive circles around them with my OB.

Greg
  • Options
    I hear yah. Since getting the SVX I only take out the Trooper when I need to, if I'm hauling people, stuff, trailers or going offroad. I can see how if I only had 1 car I'd want an SUV for sure, luckily I have 2 (with a 3rd on the way). :)

-mike
  • Options
    Juice- I've actually driven an older Unimog. Felt very odd perched up there and sticking out front. And with no power steering, it was a real bear to turn/park :-)

-Frank P.
  • Options
    But there aren't enough AWD minivans out there. I think Chrysler and maybe a few GM vans offer it. Toyota just added an option.

What 3rd vehicle, by the way?

-juice
  • Options
    moosejawmoosejaw Member Posts: 10
    You guys should keep this Unimog talk down to the hush-hush. If word starts to spread about these, it won’t be long before someone slaps a rear cab on an U1400 and mass markets them to suburbanites. :)

Jim
  • Options
    Love the full-size Van with AWD and the Safari/Astro with AWD personally.

3rd vehicle will be an '88 Acura Integra 5MT :)

-mike