Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Infiniti G35 Coupe

Comments

• Options
    SPIKEJRSPIKEJR Member Posts: 3
    Every dealer is the same....MSRP. I called every dealership in Alabama and Georgia. I figured if they were all the same I had to get an idea of who had the least amount of add on cost and the best after service sell. I went with Brewbaker Motors,(800)874-1925, in Montgomery, Alabama (My salesman is Joey Merrit). They currently don't have any in stock but do have some arriving this month that are not pre-sold. They beat all other dealers by only charging $95 dealer fees. Everyone else was $399 and one was $499. They also let me order a car the way I wanted it. Any questions regarding my buying experience, feel free to call me (William @ 706-332-3418)
  • Options
    jaydolljaydoll Member Posts: 120
    Come on JW,

You seem to be reasonable person. You can't argue that a true dual exhaust would not increase HP. you may be able to argue that it may decrease torque at lower rpms but not horse power. Unless you know something that the rest of the automotive world doesn't.
  • Options
    jlo_onejlo_one Member Posts: 12
    I enjoyed using the manual mode...am curious about how other trannies feel in manual mode? someone mentioned "steptronic" in bmw,porche.etc...don't they work the same?
  • Options
    stanny1stanny1 Member Posts: 962
    Got my MT today. There is a great underside pic of the coupe, but not the sedan.
    It looks like the two pipes from the cats merge into one before hiding under a huge stamped cover.
    This is probably not a true dual exhaust.
    But V-6's, unlike V-8's, are trickier to tune and are known to be louder, almost nasty.
    I talked to one of the honchos at Magnaflow last February and he said that V-6's are much harder to build exhaust systems for because of unwanted resonances that randomly occur throughout the rev range.
    The factory solution is to simply smash them with smaller diameter pipe, large resonators and constrictive mufflers.
    On my Lincoln LS MTX, the factory system uses 1.75 inch pipes, big mufflers and resonators.
    In 2002, a less resrictive muffler and air box increased the hp by 10 to 220hp.
    Many LS owners installed the Borla System with an "X-Box" and 2.25" pipes but the trade off is a boominess at the torque peak that your mother would not like.
    Magnaflow tried a system in 2000 that was worse and was never marketed. This year they worked the kinks out and their system is quieter than the Borla but still gives the same or better performance than the Borla.
    As was said, V-6's are a challenge to fine tune.
    But I'm sure the aftermarket boys have already been working on an exhaust system for the 3 FM sisters.
  • Options
    jwilson1jwilson1 Member Posts: 956
    Thanks, jaydoll, but in speaking of the exhaust issue I really wasn't trying to argue, only caution based on the opinions of posters in other forums who were reporting on the early frustrations of trying to offer a higher-performance exhaust for the G coupe and the Z. You may be right that it's an issue of torque rather than hp, but they didn't distinguish as I recall.

I didn't have the details that stanny provides in the above post, But I believe a bolt-on is not necessarily going to be an improvement.

JW
  • Options
    slider95slider95 Member Posts: 8
    I noticed something odd when I visited my local Infiniti dealer this weekend. I went to look at the G35c, but could not help but notice all of the G35 sedans and QX4s on the lot. They even had to park a few sedans and alot of QX4s across the street in the mall parking lot. Has the demand for the sedans slowed that rapidly? Or, did this dealer just over order? Has anyone else noticed this at other dealers?

Now I'm considering working on a deal to get a sedan or maybe even a QX4 if the dealer is motivated to reduce inventory by the end of the year.
  • Options
    sopecreeksopecreek Member Posts: 203
    In Atlanta (Nalley Infiniti @ Marietta), many (so many) G35 sedans and about 4 coupes on the outside lot(automatic only, no MT.) But I also notice equally many G35 sedans on the road, in Atlanta and other cities. So my guess is they are selling quite well...
  • Options
    djasonwdjasonw Member Posts: 624
    Well I guess I was right.... production is up and Infiniti has pretty much met the demand of the folks that MUST have the car before prices drop. So... wait a few more months and the Infiniti dealers will be making deals on the coupes.

I NEVER PAY MSRP
  • Options
    cheerioboy26cheerioboy26 Member Posts: 412
    except that the annual production of couples will be 12,000 and the sedan will be about 30,000.

Granted, the market for sedans is probably larger, but it doesn't mean that coupes will become "cheap." Less than MSRP? Sure. $300 over invoice (for example)? Time will tell....

Sales of the sedan are still 2600+ each of the last two months IIRC. That is still over Infiniti's goal of 2500 (30k/year) after being over 3000 for the first 6 months.
  • Options
    The market's always a little slow now.

JW
  • Options
    slider95slider95 Member Posts: 8
    jwilson1,

Is the fall/winter the best time to look for a deal?
  • Options
    Not this year, anyway. "A deal" will have to wait till dealers are convinced people won't walk in willing to pay MSRP, imo.

I thought you'd been here for awhile, slider, but if you are not used to shopping and negotiating, there are some terrific tips and even tutorials on the Edmund's pages under "advice." My own favorite is to shop by phone and internet; two articles on that are directly off of the main page here. Lots of people have tricks they like (last day of month, snowstorm, an hour before closing, etc.) but none of that works with hot models.

JW
  • Options
    prodmngrprodmngr Member Posts: 13
    Last week I bought an Ivory Pearl coupe with graphite interior with nav system, premium, and 17" wheels. Two things stand out about the color scheme I'm curious about. 1, has anyone else noticed the graphite interior is graphite up to the pillars, then it turns beige? Thought that looked a little odd. Also, every picture I've seen of the coupe's interior shows a silver looking center console, and even the coupes I saw with willow interior had the silver console. My console is all black. Wonder why some are black and some are silver? I thought maybe it was those that came with 18" wheels came with a silver console, but the willow interior coupes I saw were optioned just like mine, yet still had a silver center console.

Also, a thought on price. It may be true that folks will be able to negotiate on the coupes later (I hope so), but there's also a real possibility that Infiniti may raise the MSRP once they realize the coupe is a hit. Kind of like Lexus did in the 90s.
  • Options
    bpraxisbpraxis Member Posts: 292
    Hello everyone and Happy Holidays.

I remember reading that Infiniti`s goal was to sell 12,000 coupes the first year.

That is not the same as saying that they are limited to 12,000, they will meet market demand. I am sure they want to make as much profit as possible.

The world is now awash in great autos and many more interesting cars to be released shorty. The new Chrysler Crossfire, New Mercedes SLK, Chevorlet SSR, New BMW 5 Coupe, Revised styling midyear on the 3 series coupe, etc, and many more.

It also seems that the world economy is heading into a significant slowdown.

That means that it is quite possible that within one year many of these great cars including the G35 coupe will be given away with heavy discounting.

I would even predict that one US auto manufacturer will have to go out of business. Of course I am sure their lobbyists will make sure that we taxpayers bail them out.

For those of you with patients and have worked very hard for your money wait 6 months. We may be amazed at some of the deals that we can negotiate.

Let us not forget as a negotiating tool that Infiniti resale values are terrible, and they do not have as many dealers as their competitors, nor do they have the prestige of Lexus, BMW, etc.

You need to remind the salesperson of this and offer him $1000 over cost. And six months from now $500 over cost.

Happy New Year
  • Options
    Salesman called and a DG/graphite 6MT will be available next week, an individual order that the purchaser has backed out on. It will be at Inskip Infiniti in Warwick, RI, if y ou're looking -- I mention as this is a popular color.

The console color, prodmngr, depends on the options as you gather. Probably the difference between your black console and the painted "titanium" automatics is that the people who have the metallic also ordered the performance (18") tires and wheel package.

I hope you don't feel deprived. There is a thread on freshalloy in which people who own the titanium are figuring out if they can change out the console for the black. The complaint is that the paint looks cheap.

JW
  • Options
    Thanks JW. Actually, I'm very happy with the black console and like it better than the titanium look. I was just curious how Infiniti went about selecting the console trim color as the willow interior even without the 18" wheels has the titanium trim.
  • Options
    fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    bpraxis-

Can I take a "wild" guess about which US manufacturer might be going out of business? Are they now known as DC? LOL...............

fastdriver
  • Options
    clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    my closest dealer has 83 sedans and 28 coupes.

see for yourself

here

They have a base coupe 6spd in diamond graphite for 32805 that is a deal for that kind of car

• Options
    That dealer has enough QX4's to sink a battleship. He's in trouble. Sounds like it's a slow market in Texas. Where's all that oil money goin'?
    Here in San Diego things are going like the roaring 20's. I doubt any G's are sittin around too long.
    QX4's don't sell here in any great quantities. People here like Navi's with 24" chrome wheels.
  • Options
    This is a ford and Chevy state. Any imports are slow movers shoot the volvo dealer has 5 xc90's in stock!! Texas is a definate buyers market. I can even get the dreaded honda pilot and oddy's for 1k off for the pilot and 2k for the oddy down here. Way different from chicago where I couldn't get 500 of an acura TL last year. Shipping from down here is only 5-600 to most parts of the country so if they have something you want it might be worth it if your local dealers are msrp+. Stanny there are more dubs+ here per capita than anywhere in the country I think lol :) They prefer H2's here to the navi's though
  • Options
    sphinx99sphinx99 Member Posts: 776
    I'll check out some of the Infiniti dealerships here in Detroit on Monday. I know that G35 coupes are in stock and that Infinitis are not big sellers here; so far, I have seen a grand total of One G35 sedan, Zero G35 coupes, and One 350Z. I would imagine that G35 coupes would be selling here for less than MSRP.
  • Options
    I have seen about 2 G35 sedans, no coupes, and 1 Z.
    And I'm in real estate and drive around town like crazy.
    Southern Calif has definitely become status SUV territory. I may be the only person with two cars in the garage.
    The SUV owners think they own the left lane of the freeways, and consequently cause many people to pass on the right. These people don't think they are driving -they think they are on some kind of Safari. Why they need to drive 8000 pound appliances with 4 wheel drive to go two blocks to the mall is beyond me. 99% of these things will never have dirt or snow under their tires. Especially with 20-24" chrome wheels at $7,000 per set.
    Why would anyone buy an X5 or ML for 50k when a Volvo wagon has more interior space? My 96 960 Wagon can hold sheets of 4X8 drywall.
    I think I've figured it out though. These people like to ride up high so they can kill me in my car and have to look down to see what they hit.
    So far, I haven't been able to bait one into a corner and see it tip over. But I have seen a couple on their sides.
    I think the defensive strategy is to out accelerate them on corners. And I never park next to one in parking lots. It's almost a guaranteed ding. $3.00 a gallon gas would be a blessing to me. I can see a Suburban for towing or carrying 8 people. But for one person commuting 50 miles a day to work?
    I think the writing is on the wall. If the Mideast goes up in flames, there may be as the Mini-Cooper ad says - an "SUV Revolt".
    A G can get over 20 miles per gallon. An H2 gets maybe 12.
    Here in Socal, you have to go thru hours of suburbs to get to "off-road". It's hardly something a lot of people bother doing in SUV's.
    Sorry about the somewhat off-topic diatribe.
    It's just getting hard to drive a car through all the moving road blocks here.
    We need to change the status of vehicles. Car drivers are not the uneducated lower class to be pitied.
  • Options
    What about used cars? I'm thinking it might be pretty good territory to hunt for the G or Z, once its charm wears off on some of the eager early buyers .... or do the Ford & Chevy buyers like imports once they depreciate?

JW
  • Options
    gambit293gambit293 Member Posts: 406
    Did you actually call them and ask if the numbers on their website were correct?

It's very possible that they just don't update their website. (what?! a website on the internet that is not up-to-date!!)

• Options
    ppowerppower Member Posts: 93
    most H2 owners don't know they are driving nothing more than a glorified/over priced Suburban (it uses the Suburban platform). Nothing but plastic in them.

The Escalade/Navi with 24" rims look is old it isn't funny. It's like seeing low-rider trucks driving around still. LMAO.

Ppower
  • Options
    esbrockesbrock Member Posts: 88
    I don't care if it's off topic Stanny, your point is dead on. SUV's are so popular because they give a false sense of security. People feel they can put on their makeup, yap on their cell phones and watch movies in those damn things because they are so big everyone else stays clear of them. The reason car companies love them is because they are classified as trucks, so they are not held to the same high EPA standards as cars are.

SUV drivers need to pull their collective heads out of their rear ends and realize that driving is a skill. Americans tend to feel that driving is a right and not a privledge. This causes them to take advantage of it and abuse it by not paying attention or buying vehicles that make them feel so detached from the driving experience that they don't care what's going on around them.
    That's until they have to make some kind of evasive manuver in those things and flip. Then it's blame the tire company or car company, instead of realizing that they can't drive worth a crap and/or they bought a SUV that was never supposed to be used as a highway vehicle.

Hey, this is America, and you have every right to buy whatever vehicle you want. Just keep your high riding, land yacht driving butt in the far right lane where you are supposed to be. So us people that take driving seriously don't have to deal with your ignorant existance.

(He steps off his soap box)
  • Options
    robmarchrobmarch Member Posts: 482
    so...if you drive an SUV you have no driving skill? But if you drive a Mercury Cougar, you're a great driver? Sorry, it's got nothing to do with the vehicle, and everything to do with the driver. And, there are still some people out there that buy SUV's because they are roomy and versatile, not for the "false sense of security"

If the people who are oblivious driving SUV's all went out and bought G35 coupes, they would still be just as oblivious, unfortunately.
  • Options
    But, SUVs attract that type of bad/careless driver. You don't see many bad/careless motorcycle drivers. Why? Because, they don't last long. You either take it seriously or you die/end up a carrot in a bed some where. Many SUV drivers think they can just 'tank' their way through traffic and from point A to point B. Can't count the number of SUVs I have seen with self-inflicted(from running into inanimate objects) damage because the owner lacks the driving skills to manage that size of vehicle.

Ppower
  • Options
    robmarchrobmarch Member Posts: 482
    Actually, most of the motorcycle drivers I see are performing questionable traffic manuvers like driving between lanes on the dashed line. I guess the turnover rate is high. I can't count the number of times I have been cruising with traffic moving above the speed limit on a major interstate and been passed by a bike in the shoulder like I was standing still. Of course, I've also been passed this way by neons. Around me, the pickups are much bigger than the SUV's anyway.

back on topic (somewhat) I checked out a new batch of Z's at a nissan dealer the other day, and most were stickered around $39k. They don't think they have a competition problem with the Z and the G35 coupe?
  • Options
    I just received a call from a saleswoman at one of the local Infiniti dealers (the sleazy one, unfortunately) and she claims they are still charging a +$1000 premium and "they're flying out the doors."

She's a nice kid, probably honest at heart, but she's trying to fit in (maybe to keep her job) with the sleaze-cynic bozos who manage the place. it's one of those places where you can't go to the john without having one of the SMs follow you, so what she probably means is 'we'll charge anyone whatever we can get.'

They have two without buyers right now, both automatics.

JW
  • Options
    http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/021203/na_fin_us_auto_sales_table_1.html

Don't let the dealers kid you. They need to sell stuff bad. Went to a Nissan dealer yesterday to check out the Murano and they had about 10 350z sitting on the lot. I am not believing all the 'rare' and limit quantity hype being thrown out by the dealers.

Ppower

• Options
    83zman83zman Member Posts: 3
    As far as I can tell Nissan is doing quite well, especially in the car department. There are no stats for Infiniti unless they are combined in with Nissan.

Nice link although not terribly usefull unless last year's sales figures are also the sales quota for this year, what with the economy and all.
  • Options
    the Murano falls in that one.

Ppower
  • Options
    Well, that isn't supposed to be a straight line, but the salesperson I spoke with said the headliner on the graphite interior is gray. I thought it was willow. Would one of you check yours, please?

JW
  • Options
    Yeah they have that many sedans I can vouch for they have about 25 out front and plenty more in the back. Check out Infiniti Lisle. When I was in chicago last they had almost 100 in stock too. Me I'm going to wait until they either bring back midnight blue or i find one used. i love that color the Carribean blue is for the birds. There are plenty o G's out there but NYC and Socal are different markets it's almost always better to buy elsewhere in those two markets on anything even semi hot.

http://www.theinfinitisuperstore.com/InfinitiofLisle/

They have 79 sedans and 24 coupes these are NOT rare cars. See if you can work a deal with one of these people who have vast inventory and get them to ship the car to you if local dealers aren't dealing.

• Options
    My ivory pearl couple with graphite interior has a willow headliner. about a day after i took delivery of the car, i took note of the different colored headliner and thought the factory had made a mistake! lol....now, i'm used to it. i really love that i got 17" wheels as i enjoy the smooth ride and the black (non-titanium) console
  • Options
    759397759397 Member Posts: 79
    around and Plenty of G's as well.

I'm in MA.....these are not rare vehicles or hot hot sellers. The 330 was more of a hot seller than either of these from what I remember. The dealers would have you believe otherwise.
  • Options
    eds1300eds1300 Member Posts: 71
    The sedans are, however, getting discounted with 3.9 apr for all Infiniti vehicles offered by Grubbs. Sewell Infiniti only had one coupe that was for test drive. BMW dealers are offering 0.0% apr for all 2002 3 series and 2.9% for 2003 models.
  • Options
    esbrockesbrock Member Posts: 88
    First off, I hope I didn't offend anyone too much with that ranting about SUV's. After dealing with them all weekend on the road, it starts to get to me. I was strictly speaking in generallizations (is that a word?). There are always exceptions to the rule.

Now that I got that out of the way. I have a question. Is the 18" wheel & tire package standard on the 6MT or not? I was looking at dealer inventory on the infinti web site and it seems they are charging $600 for it on the 6MT. Is this legit or some big price hike scheme?
  • Options
    markjennmarkjenn Member Posts: 1,142
    The 18-inch wheels (and Brembo brakes) are standard on the 6MT model.

I'm not sure where you are noticing a $600 charge for them - if you build a no-option 6MT coupe on the web site, the cost is just the base cost + dest charge. And the cars I've looked at in dealer's inventory, while having a lot of other options like aero and nav, don't have any wheel upgrade option that I've ever seen. And I was under the impression that cars on Infiniti's web site reflect the MSRP sticker, not any 2nd stickers put on by the dealers.

Sorry, don't have the answer to this mystery.

- Mark
  • Options
    The 18" wheels, when applied to the AT models, is a separate "performance wheel package." Perhaps that's what the software was showing you -- unless you'd like an extra set, just in case!! lol

JW
  • Options
    I E-mailed the Parts Manager at the local San Diego Infiniti dealer about the cost and availability of an LSD unit for the coming 6 speed Sedan.
    He said that he believes the Coupe with the 18" wheel/tire package does come with LSD.
    He also believes that the 6M Sedan will have the LSD available either standard or in an option package.
    He said the price of the LSD pumpkin as installed in the Track model Z is $1500 when bought across the parts counter.
    I'm praying for a 6M Sedan factory package with LSD. It would easily run over $2000 to have LSD installed after purchase.
  • Options
    blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    I have seen about 2 G35 sedans, no coupes, and 1 Z.

Stanny, maybe you're in bad parts of town? I saw three G35 sedans in the Thornton Hospital parking lot just last week. I see at least 5 a week on the freeways near UTC/Sorrento Valley and I see one in the parking lot daily. The same goes for the Z. Actually, I see at least a Z a day on the road. they're still rare enough that I notice, but i'm sure that'll change by this time next year.

G35 coupes on the otherhand still aren't an everyday thing. I've seen about 10 driving on the road since November.

Here in Socal, you have to go thru hours of suburbs to get to "off-road".

What? Drive 30 minutes east from La Jolla/Mission Bay and you're in the middle of nowhere.
  • Options
    blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    As far as I can tell Nissan is doing quite well, especially in the car department. There are no stats for Infiniti unless they are combined in with Nissan.

Here are the Infiniti sales numbers:

http://nissannews.com/corporate/news/2002/relmatt2002123125423.shtml

• Options
    I live in poorer East County, not in more affluent North County. Out here the yahoos drive mostly pickum-up trucks.
    I don't know of much off-road activity just 30 minutes East of La Jolla. It might take you 30 minutes just to get out of La Jolla! LOL.
    When I came here in 1951, you could off-road in El Cajon. Now you really have to go to the desert. Even McCain Valley has suburbs. And a casino in the middle of nowhere! Somehow, I can see the writing on the wall. On the winter weekends, the desert is so crowded you'd think you were in a suburb. Or at least an RV show!
  • Options
    83zman83zman Member Posts: 3
    The numbers just don't lie. The G Sedans are selling like cupcakes. And from what I've been reading in the previous posts, the supply is meeting and exceeding the demand.

Although you don't see the G in anywhere near the same numbers as the BMW's 3 or the Mercedes' E, it has raised and is still raising the company's profile. It is good to see a company that has been plagued with marketing disasters reinvent itself. I assume the lack of success in the past to be a result of bad marketing because almost every review I've read of the other Infiniti models has proclaimed the cars to be thoroughly competent.
  • Options
    bjbird2bjbird2 Member Posts: 647
    I think Nissan was plagued with bad marketing, and conservative inconsistent planning. Top management was not willing to take risks, and the result was a bland conservative brand that didn't read the market and as a result was behind the times.

That all changed when Renault took over. Nobody else wanted to touch Nissan with their outdated products and huge debt.
  • Options
    gambit293gambit293 Member Posts: 406
    I live in central Ohio.

Not counting the one that lives in my apartment complex, I see perhaps one G sedan each day on the road. I have yet to see a single coupe on the roads.

I see perhaps one Z every two weeks or so.

It does take a while for a new car, even a mass-produced one, to start to permeate the roads.

ie, I see a CTS maybe once every two weeks, and they've been out for quite a while now.
  • Options
    hvan3hvan3 Member Posts: 630
    According to Nissan news release, CYTD (Calendar Year-to-date) on G35 Coupe is 3,063 units sold. At this rate, within the next 3 months, Infiniti will exceed the projected 12,000 annual production units.

Combine G35 sedan and coupe, Infiniti has sold about 30K units.

You can bet BMW is looking in the rear view mirror! LOL
  • Options
    I'm reminded, too, that Ohio (more than either coast) is in many ways still a suburb of Detroit.

But your point's still valid. It's winter here (near Boston) and I haven't seen a Coupe away from a dealer and have only seen 4 Zs.

JW