Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Infiniti G35 Coupe

Comments

• Options
    kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    Ahhh, the cultural differences between east and west show up in the "who likes to buy this type of car" list.
  • Options
    topcuttopcut Member Posts: 54
    How right you are ....!!!!!!...prime example of that is Preston Tuckers Torpedo.....Put out of business before it got started by the Big three and the oil companies....
  • Options
    bpraxisbpraxis Member Posts: 292
    Hello everyone and happy New Year.

I finally had a chance to drive the new G35 Coupe and enjoyed it very much.

The auto shift is fantastic, the engine has tremendous range with a flat torque curve, and a superb exhause note.

And the ride was a nice balance of luxury and sport with great handling around corners.

Seats were firm and very ergonomic.

Let me mention that I was disappointed with the interior and exterior color choices except for the pearl white.

It is hard for me to believe that on a car that will average around $35,000 that there are only two interior color choices. The black is nice although not practical for those of us who live in the Florida heat.

And the willow will show every bit of dirt and the color is not that attractive in my opinion. How about a nice metallic red or burgandy for the exerior.

Hey Infiniti, you are offering some very fun colors on the new Murano interiors like the Cabernet which is very nice for a sports car. How about more choice?/??

Overall the interior has some cheap plastics but I have read that Infiniti already plans to upgrade the interior.

I am seriously considering this car but will wait at least six months for the company to address some issues with the interior and the price to come down.

There is not doubt in my mind with the proliferation of great new cars that we will be able to buy this car in the next year close to invoice.

Warmly,

Your fellow car enthusiast
  • Options
    gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    My sentiments exactly. The interior vs. price quotient didn't add up to me. I hope they address it soon. Especially when the manual tranny is "extra".
  • Options
    daschtickdaschtick Member Posts: 63
    And you're test driving already? But that's another topic...

Although I may not buy for a while, I always enjoy finding out about the latest models. Cars are sort of a hobby of mine, and I love driving and reading about them. I am always honest of my time frame intentions with the salesman that I deal with, and if they are nice enough, they usually get a sale from me when I return (if they are still there).

You bought the car for your reasons, not the boards reasons. I think it's funny that you think people perceive you by the type of car you drive. Let's see how we can classify the driver by the type of vehicle they have:

1. Mercedes: snob, person who thinks they own the road, rich.
    2. BMW: snob, money flaunter, think they own the road

You've classified them, not I. But you've included "snob" in both. Unfortunately, that is how much of the general public feels. I smiled at blueguydotcom's generalization:

"80% are emblem chasers, 10% drivers, 10% people who think they're drivers."

Again, perceived image is low on my list of priorities, but I can understand why this could be higher for some people, especially if their friends drive Hyundai's and F-150's.
  • Options
    These are not my perceived images as I never had any, I culled these from the Edmunds boards, which I did say in the original post.

So yes I did generalize and collate some of the information into a more concise format.

At any rate, I buy a car for me, not for the world. I also don't feel any perceived image in buying a $2,000 Armani suit or a $10 Timex a large house in a fancy part of town.

Since perceived images are not based in reality, meaning that they are your prejudices and not mine, and are just generalizations anyway, they fall under the same category as generalizations.
    Yes blueguydotcom made me laugh. Unfortunately I attribute much of that comment to the percieved image of the shallow Californian attitudes. Although in some circles, maybe not BGDCs though, the perceived image of Infinti/Acura/Lexus buyers are in the same league as the perceived image of high end German marquees. And thus these same-self concerned people end up by driving F-150s.
  • Options
    topcuttopcut Member Posts: 54
    I agree.....needs a little upgrading in interior material and color selection to warrant those kinda bucks....Along the same lines I see our local Nissan dealer has 4 --350z's on the showroom floor....not sure this car will be the bang up seller Nissan was hoping for.....
  • Options
    jwilson1jwilson1 Member Posts: 956
    An outstanding post. Sorry I was off the board for the exchange, but your observations were thoughtful, insightful, and comprehensive .... as well as agreeing with mine in almost every detail. :-))

I'm looking to switch in '04 but have been driving a number of new vehicles, and used, for the last year so I understand exactly why you are testing now. It's good to do whatever you need to take emotion out of the buying decision; besides, it's fun.

This G35 is quite a car. Both it, and the Z, seem to have been designed so the shortcuts don't happen on the driving end. I'm very grateful. I can spiff up the interior myself and would much prefer a solid car designed for performance -- if they want to put $45000-car mechanicals with budget dash materials to make a price break (i.e., under $30000), I'm happy to the tune of $15000.

JW
  • Options
    jettaglxvr6jettaglxvr6 Member Posts: 64
    Okay, I am a sad case. My wife and I will be having our first child in May. And, although I am extremely excited, I am not ready to pass up an awesome ride just for easy access to the rear seats. I know that the G35c is equipped with the LATCH system, but I wanted to know if anyone has tried to put a car seat in this vehicle and how easy is it? My wife does have an SUV, but I don't want to own a vehicle that all three of us cannot ride in at the same time. Thanks for your input.
  • Options
    erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    kd, I'm in CA... guess I'm shallow. :) hehe

As for generalizations, I think a lot of generalizations (see, making one now! :) ) are based upon the area in which you live. BGDC's assessment of an F150 is based on living in an urban area. You ask somebody in Jackson Hole, WY or Boise, ID about F150 and the results could be quite different. As you said, perceptions/generalizations are deeply personal. Classifying somebody based on a car choice is probably not too wise.

Based on a generalization, I am a snobby (BMW), [non-permissible content removed] driver (Honda Civic) who never goes offroad (Jeep). I would hope nobody who knows me thinks of me in any of those ways.
    No matter that somebody may feel "positive" about the cars you own, I am sure there are many who feel quite "negative" about the car. In the end, who cares? We discuss cars here to learn more, make educated decisions (based on fact AND opinion), and possibly make some friends. :)

In this forum, we are looking at an excellent car. Everybody here as opinions - that is probably why many are here. I'm here to learn about it. I own a competitor, but that doesn't mean I have to hate this car.

-Paul
  • Options
    blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    BGDC's assessment of an F150 is based on living in an urban area. You ask somebody in Jackson Hole, WY or Boise, ID about F150 and the results could be quite different.

For the record, I was kidding around. I own a VW for Pete's sake and I ripped those owners apart. BTW, I grew up in the foothills of the Sierras where pick-up trucks were quite common. Until recently my dad owned a Ford diesel truck to tow his 55 T-bird showcar (he replaced the truck with a diesel Excursion).
  • Options
    lachancslachancs Member Posts: 16
    Anyone know if a turbo version is in the works for the G35 coupe? I remember the introduction of the last Z-car - it wasn't until the second year of production when they released the twin-turbo model.

It would kill me to buy the G35 today only to see a turbo version out this fall!
  • Options
    Turbo would be nice, but I honestly don't know much about Nissan reliability with turbos. How did the 300Z turbo reliability go?

What other goodies might we hope to see Nissan offer for the G line? Any ideas?

-Paul
  • Options
    If I came across as flaming you, I apologize. It wasn't my intention. I just wanted to show how stereotypes can be bad and dependent on where you are. Unfortunately, there doesn't ever seem to be a good generalization out there... but I can say with some certainty that those who contribute here are generally fans of automobiles. :)

-Paul
  • Options
    gambit293gambit293 Member Posts: 406
    Hi daschtick,

I'm just curious; what are your plans for the celica when you get a new car?

I currently drive a celica GT-S also. Although I think the G35c is an awesome car, I also love the celica and would hate to trade it in. At the same time, I think it might be too impractical to have two coupes.
  • Options
    arancibiaarancibia Member Posts: 7
    I'hoping to hear from current G35 A/T owners regarding their experience after some use.

Do you enjoy it?
    Or regret it and wish you had the manual trans?

I did drive a G35 and it was fine for the short time I drove it. I enjoy my Miata's 5sp very much most of the time, but not when I'm stuck on bumper to bumper SoCal freeway traffic.

So an automatic that is still fun, quick response may be OK with me but I'm hoping someone will share their experience.
  • Options
    A number of Nismo upgrades for appearance/performance will be available for the Z, the Infinitis, and other Nissans. Nismo says spring '03 will be their first presence and they plan to expand it as the market, and reliability, make it practicable.

Currently, a company (Alpine) is working on a SC for the coupe/Z that they are trying to package for Nismo. They claim it will provide about 5lbs. of boost and about 60 bhp addition. We'll see if any of this happens. If it does, the add ons will be installed at Nissan/Infiniti shops so the warranty should be intact. Nismo, if you don't know, is Nissan's tuner of prference.

JW
  • Options
    Forgot to say: the preceding is posted by Wulfy on freshalloy, fyi.

JW
  • Options
    oldprofessoroldprofessor Member Posts: 45
    You ask about experience with the AT. I've had my G35c for 2 months and have put about 2,000 miles on it. Although I had wanted initially to get a stick, for the type of driving I do in a small town, a stick is just a pain. You're constantly shifting. I guess it's sorta like being constantly stuck in SoCal freeway traffic that's moving very slowly, not that I've ever had that "pleasure."

Anyway, I like the driving experience of the G35c even w/o a stick shift for whatever it's worth. If you live in a place where you can drive long distances w/o having to shift constantly, get a stick if that appeals to you.
  • Options
    gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    The engines run forever. I know of two with over 150K on them. Both run like tops. The automatic transmission is another story.
  • Options
    8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    And I thought the my Golf was hard to do.

Looks like you have to remove the tire to access all the clips and screws to remove the fender well lining to access the bulbs.
  • Options
    Has anyone out there put a car seat in the back of the G35c? How difficult is it? I know it is equipped with the LATCH system, but I would like to hear from someone with experience.
    Thanks!
  • Options
    billygunn1billygunn1 Member Posts: 4
    Just a note on sterotypes - didn't Sam Walton, founder of Walmart, drive around in a pickup truck even after he was a multi-billionaire? 99% sure I read that a while back. funny how that works sometimes.
  • Options
    Yeah he did. It was some old pickup truck.
  • Options
    rjs1177rjs1177 Member Posts: 4
    Was anyone in SoCal able to pay less than MSRP? The guys in Montclair will only sell at sticker, after they've a dded a couple of pieces of equipment ($3000 chrome wheels of their choice).
  • Options
    twoof1twoof1 Member Posts: 308
    Last time I was at Montclair Infiniti, they were putting 19" rims on every coupe they got in. What is really funny is that they were charging like $6-7,000.00 for them!!
    I am so fed up with that tactic that I probably would not go back to buy from them.
    The sales rep who picked me off the lot was a real bobble head also.
    What's even more amazing is that they are actually selling them for that amount. That's on top of getting MSRP for the car which in itself is a premium.
    It's a shame because they are only 10 miles from my house.
  • Options
    grey1988grey1988 Member Posts: 8
    Image station pics are now up.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291007483

This thing is hot.

Southern Cal Car tax 8.25

Purchase price 36,137.71

BASE $32,050.00

PREMIUM PACKAGE $2,250.00

AERO PACKAGE $550.00

BODY SIDE MOULDING $140.00

TRUNK MAT $70.00

CHROME WHEELS $532.71

DESTINATION $545.00

TOTAL $36,137.71

My total Down was 3000.00

39 Months

12,000 miles/yr

$607.00/Month

Residual $20,246.80

What do you think about the Chrome wheels for 532.71?

Are the payments fair? Anyone else in So Cal done a Lease?

• Options
    Southern Cal Car tax 8.25

Um...the sales tax varies from county to county. In my area (san diego) it's 7.75%.
  • Options
    daschtickdaschtick Member Posts: 63
    Hi daschtick,

I'm just curious; what are your plans for the celica when you get a new car?

I currently drive a celica GT-S also. Although I think the G35c is an awesome car, I also love the celica and would hate to trade it in. At the same time, I think it might be too impractical to have two coupes.

gambit293,

I love the light nimble feel of my GT-S, and the economy is hard to beat also. If I decide to purchase a G35, I would end up selling the GT-S, and that would not be an easy decision. On one hand, the G35 is fast, offers more luxury, and a better ride, but my GT-S is such a fun, light, nimble, cheap, beat machine that I really still enjoy a lot. That said, I'll probably end up running my Celica a while longer, and then upgrading if/when it finally wears on me, and G35 pricing becomes more negotiable.

Has anyone out there put a car seat in the back of the G35c? How difficult is it? I know it is equipped with the LATCH system, but I would like to hear from someone with experience.
    Thanks!

jettaglxvr6,

Although I have not tried a car seat in a G35, I have used one for part time for the past 2 years in the back of Celica GT-S. One thing I can say is that a coupe body style sucks for car seats! Used on a limited basis, it works okay, but I would never use a car seat in coupe daily. It's wayyy to hard on your back, and if the child falls asleep (especially when they get older), it's nearly impossible to get them in or out. Luckily, we use my wife's Acura Legend 4-dr for most of the baby toting duties. If you need to use the car seat daily, how about a nice Jetta GLX.....;)
  • Options
    caramocaramo Member Posts: 93
    I did the car seat thing in my 92 Stealth, but that was back in the day when passenger side airbags weren't standard. While the front seat sans airbag might have been marginally less safe than the back, I felt the trade-off of being able to rapidly get my baby out in case of an accident offset it. Just my opinion, and luckily never had to test that theory. When I got traded in my Stealth, the kid had to adjust to being in the back seat all the time. . . I missed having her up front with me.

Meanwhile, my husband had 4 door vehicles during the car seat years, so we took his car when we went anywhere together.
  • Options
    daschtick & caramo,
    Thank you both for your input. And yes, my Jetta would definitely be the smartest choice; or rather, waiting for the 6-speed to hit the G35 sedan would be the wisest choice. However, I honestly just don't get the same emotional reaction when I see the sedan as I do when I stumble upon the coupe. I appreciate your honesty about the difficulty of lifting my baby when he (we found out it was a boy a couple of weeks ago. . . .I'm sure that my boy would want me to have the coupe!!:)) is sleeping, and I know that it would wear a little tough on my back, but I think that might be a sacrifice that I am willing to make---It's all about the LOVE for the car, man!!

Also, caramo, I would imagine that the G35c would allow me to disable the passenger side airbag; which would allow me and my boy to ride together alone in the front seats; but, I want to be able to have all three of us in the car for short little jaunts around town. My wife's SUV will serve as the "trip" mobile.

Also, one last question, the Infiniti website says that the front seats slide forward electronically. From anyone's experience, do they go far enough forward to create the space needed to put the car seat back there? Does it make easy for an adult to get back there as well? And do the seats return to their original position when you push them back--or do they go back electronically too?

Thanks for your input.
  • Options
    arancibiaarancibia Member Posts: 7
    What dealer did you buy from????
  • Options
    grey1988grey1988 Member Posts: 8
    Arancibia

They will sell you the car at sticker with no add ons. So will Beverly Hills Infiniti. BH infiniti has my same exact car on order.
  • Options
    I don't recall seeing a passenger side airbag disable switch.

The sliding seat, it's enough for an adult to get in and out (includes some 6 footers also). The seats go back to the original position, except for the seat back angle.

I like how the GTI seats operate though
  • Options
    As far as I know, few cars with back seats have switches to disable the passenger airbag. Some models are coming out with weight/pressure sensitive seats that will automatically disable the airbag if the seat weight is minimal, but I don't know if A.) it's available on the G35 or B.) whether the weight of baby AND car seat is low enough to disable the system if so equipped.
  • Options
    8u6hfd,
    Bummer about the lack of a disabling airbag switch for the passenger side. I think it was just wishful thinking on my part. All coupes without a backseat are required to have that switch; but, I guess since the G35c has a back seat, it is not required. Thanks for the input on the seats operation.

I can't recall how the seats work in the GTI, but I know how much I loved driving it. My 01 Jetta GLX is a blast, but it is not as razor sharp as the ol'GTI.
  • Options
    caramo,
    Thanks for the input, I will ask my Infinti dealer if the weight sensor that will disable the airbag is available on the G35c. Anyone know if this is an available option, or if it is standard?
  • Options
    The air bag disable switch is a late add-on by request in the 350Z. Don't know if it will translate to the coupe.

You ask if it's "easy" to get in and out of the back for an adult. Well, easy is a relative term, of course -- and if you're a gymnast or a 5'5" skinny brat I suppose it would be called "easy." All I know for sure is that there's no way in hell you'd want to deal with a sleeping or drowsy 2-3 yr. old in & out of a car seat in the back of that coupe. It's a wonderful car, but it's not a "family" car -- why do you think minivans sell so well? It sure ain't the sleek styling!

On second thought, if you do get the coupe please do it according to the options I'd like so that once it's used and you decide to sell it ... you know where to find me!

I hope you aren't offended by these comments ... I don't mean the tone to be harsh but a little sarcastic, coming from someone who raised two of "them." In fact, as I type this I'm hearing the Hyundai Santa Fe commercial that features a dad trying to find a bathroom for his car-seat bound 3-4 yr. old. There will come a time -- you have to know this -- that you will know the restrooms in your locale better than you know your own house because you've stopped at every one of them so the kid can try out his/her "skills."

Or maybe you could sell it when the kid gets around 2 or 2.5 .... Good luck!!

JW
  • Options
    Speaking as a die-hard sportscar driver who didn't let mommyhood interfere, some inconveniences are just worth it.
  • Options
    I've got a question that I haven't seen on here. Before I started driving my G35c, which is just like grey1988 reported except it has a graphite interior, I was always a wonderful parallel parker. I mean, I could get into a spot in the French Quarter in New Orleans with only two turns of the steering wheel. However, since I've been driving my G35c, I find that I invariably don't straighten out soon enough to keep from bumping my right rear tire on the curb. I have just about as much trouble pulling into a parking place. Is this car wider than it looks? Wider than most other cars? Anyone else have this problem?
  • Options
    It doesn't slide forward per day, but it sort of rotates up and forward (can't remember about the seat backs though, my commuter car is a 4 door Golf)
  • Options
    afriend1afriend1 Member Posts: 5
    Mr. oldprofessor, I do experience the same problem.
  • Options
    Just for giggles, I've been looking at Infiniti dealers in out of town areas where I have family, since in a year or two I'll shop anywhere to get the right deal, and we only have one Infiniti dealer locally. The Phoenix area has choices of dealers, and MT's in stock. . . But the Seattle dealer has just one dealer and just 4 AT's available, according to the Infiniti website. That's sad, worse than here in Vegas!
  • Options
    afriend1afriend1 Member Posts: 5
    Oldprofessor,
    If I may ask - does your car have a the Nav. system. If yes, does the user manual come with it?
  • Options
    Yes, and yes.

About my parking problem, and I should have known this, the rear of the car is a bit wider than the front, and that's why I consistently bump the curb with my right rear wheel. Just something I'll eventually get used to.
  • Options
    "I hope you aren't offended by these comments. . ."

Come on man, I am not going to be offended by your suggestions. I understand that the G35c is not a family car; and trust me, when we finally decide, I am going to take a car seat to the dealership and test it out for myself. If it is too difficult, I'll move on to exclusively looking at four door "sport" sedans.

Thanks for your input. And yes, I will contact you to find out the options you like, before I buy; I'm partial to the Ivory pearl/graphite set up, how 'bout you. . . .;)
  • Options
    In person, it's stunning, I agree! Especially in the sun.

JW
  • Options
    dkoforddkoford Member Posts: 1
    I agree with jettaglxvr6 - I was thinking black, diamond graphite or silver until I saw an ivory pearl/graphite in person, right off the truck, and it was stunning. The 18" wheels are also a must have. I pulled the trigger on the spot and it's been two weeks of bliss...
  • Options
    I drove the G35 coupe finally. It was a premium, sport, AT G35 coupe. No manual as I've grown tired of them over the past 18 years driving only stick.

Well, as one would expect from the profile the interior space is limited. Extremely so. I'm a small guy (five-seven and 145 lbs), yet I felt cramped in the G coupe. Also, as one would expect from the design, you sit on the ground essentially. Again, not a big difference as I grew up driving performance cars and still love visiting my parents as I get to steal my mom's miata for a bit. Tight and low quarters aside I'm still a tad annoyed that Nissan doesn't offer a telescoping steering wheel.

On to the drive. Once fired up and rolling I noticed a few things. The car moves swiftly but with so little fuss that it's not interesting or exciting. It simply goes. All driving below 85 felt downright ho-hum. And loud. Blame the 18s, blame the dual exhaust but the G35 sedan I ride in all the time with 18s and a single exhaust is whisper quiet in comparison.

Once over 85 the car felt more hunkered down and ready to play. I didn't break 100 on the test drive but got close. Wind noise is quite shockingly loud at that speed...again totally unlike the G35s I ride in often.

Brakes felt fine and the car handled sweeps and sudden turns nicely. The manumatic was severely delayed and not at all as entertaining as the G35 sedans I've driven.

I so wanted this car before driving it. Now...it seems I'm either stuck getting the rather dowdy sedan, getting an unreliable BMW or moving on to an as yet unidentified competitor. Quite sad really. I had my hopes pinned on this sexy beast and it just didn't feel like a 34k car. Or even a 24k car. It just felt wrong to me.
  • Options
    The last 3 Nissans I had were back to the dealer every few months to tweak this or that. A/C issues, check engine light issues, rear end noise issues and more. While none of cars left me stranded it was quite annoying.

At least I can say with my Bimmer, in one year I've only had one unscheduled service visit to fix some loose weatherstripping. Total out of pocket cost: $0. Total cost of fun: incalculable.

You perception of BMWs is based on your parents ownership of BMWs? Just like my perception of Nissan today is based on my ownership of 3 Nissan vehicles.

Maybe you should get a Honda EV6?