2024 Chevy Blazer EV lease from Bayway Auto Group Click here

2024 Jeep Grand Cherokee lease from Mark Dodge Click here

2025 Ram 1500 Factory Order Discounts from Mark Dodge Click here
Options

Infiniti G35 Coupe

Comments

• Options
    werking100werking100 Member Posts: 29
    Do I understand you to say that the back seat head room in the coupe is too small for your 6'1" frame? Duhhhh!!! It's a coupe, and generally speaking they do not have abundant rear seats. Now if I read your post correctly, you'll go ahead and buy the Z350 over the G35 because the G has too small a rear seat. Am I missing something?? BTW...If you sat in a coupe, it was a pre-production car.
  • Options
    mbartombarto Member Posts: 24
    You find the head room in the back seat of the coupe too small and then go on to tell us you might buy the 350Z instead - which doesn't have a back seat at all?

Geez. What's important to you? Make up your mind - if you need back seat room and find the coupe's inadequate, then buy the G35 sedan or cross shop another vehicle. IF back seat room ain't that important to you, then the coupe's rear seat shouldn't be an issue for YOU. But don't make "troll-like" comments about how much you hate the coupe's lack of rear seat room when in reality you already proved to us that a back seat doesn't matter to you since you are thinking of buying a Z, with NO rear seat at all, instead.

For GP's, you'll have problems with your 6'1" frame in a good number of the sedans' rear seats.

And BTW, the 350Z's interior is NOT as well constructed or luxurious as the G35 coupe. In fact it has more "plastic". In the Z's defense it is not classified as a "luxury sport" as the G35 - just "sporty". It fits that bill quite nicely.

Cheers!
    Mark
    June '03 - G35 Coupe for me.
  • Options
    anh1anh1 Member Posts: 7
    Mark, you hit the nail right on the head! I saw a Z out in my lot here yesterday. I looked inside and you are right, a lot more "plastic". If your emphasis is on sportiness and performance with a touch of luxury then the G35 coop is your perfect choice. On the G35, I noticed that the black interior looks a lot more luxurious then the willow. The steering wheel leather on the willow version looks like vinyl. As for pricing, I don't think you'll save that much money choosing the Z over the G. MSRP for both are fairly close to each other if you get similar options.
  • Options
    redirectorredirector Member Posts: 27
    I think you guys are in fact missing something...

#296 asked how was the room in the back seat... no answers from the board until #301... read it again and you'll see no hatred or judgement, it was asked and answered -- even qualified with his height. His negative comments were on "interior" inferring the quality was suspect... back seat room was not presented as an obstacle... hence the Z as an option since it might be had for less $$$ and not have an expectation of high-grade interior quality that a brand competing with Lexus BMW Audi Volvo should have..

All perfectly reasonable.
  • Options
    hicairahicaira Member Posts: 276
    "Coop" is a small place in which fowl roost.

A "Coupe" is a small car in which drivers feel just as at home.

While it is possible to feel "Cooped up" in a coupe, odds are it is in the back seat where people of 6'1" stature may cry "foul", or even begin to smell the same, but cannot become "fowl", even if they are chicken**** trolls.

HiC
  • Options
    obiwankenobi1obiwankenobi1 Member Posts: 290
    As usual, some people are just mad for me bashing the G35 in general. I'm not. I just said I would not pay $35K for an interior that is not up to par with my $25K 2002 Maxima. A 350Z with the same interior (even if it IS as cheap looking at the G35) would make better sense because it is cheaper.

The back seat means nothing to me. I was asked a question, and I answered it. I have no want for 2 back seats.

Obi
    2003 350Z for Me!!!

Sheesh! Can't people take any criticizm on cars they like???
  • Options
    csf1331csf1331 Member Posts: 1
    Okay long story short. My dad got his 350Z three weeks ago and hates it for one very important (at least to him) reason, he can't fit his golf clubs in the car without taking out the drivers. It seems that all the dealers forgot to tell him long woods don't fit under the cross beam (which actually really looks cool). The dealer has offer to take the Z back and let him put all the money down on a G35 coupe. Now he does really like the Z but needs to put clubs in his car. I have searched all over the Internet and have yet to see pictures of the G35's trunk. Can anyone tell/show me if golf clubs will fit in the G35. If not he is going to give the Z back and get another TT.

Thanks
    Craig
  • Options
    There is a small chart on the trunk (when opened it is visible) that shows how to put 2 sets of clubs into the trunk. It was on the pre-production car that is making the rounds and I can only assume it will come on all the coupes.
  • Options
    I do have some pictures that were taken when the pre-production car was at my dealership. I'll be happy to email them if you let me know.
    agordon@motorwerks.com
  • Options
    markjennmarkjenn Member Posts: 1,142
    The dealer is being awfully nice to give him full credit towards a G35. The "golf clubs won't fit" problem was mentioned in the Car and Driver review of the car, with a good shot of the hatch area and the obtrusive cross brace.

The Z looks like a heck of a neat car, but I've got to have more utility in my everyday driver. So my next car will probably be some kind of sport wagon.

- Mark
  • Options
    edvankwokedvankwok Member Posts: 16
    According to the specification for the G35 Coupe. The back seat do fold down. With it folding down, I would think you could fit any length of clubs.
  • Options
    easy2t2easy2t2 Member Posts: 31
    I just go my copy of MotorTrend and got little disappointed at the G35 Coupe numbers: 0-60 in 6.1, 0-100 and 1/4 mile high 14s.
    These are pretty much the same figures for a 330Ci/MT. So where does the 55 HP and 57 LB/Torque difference went?

For about only 3K $$$ difference in price (with BMW European Delv), cheap looking interior, and an inferior name, I see myself holding on the purchase of G35 coupe until the dust settles. Maybe I should go back to that Bimmer dealer and reconsider my decision...
  • Options
    kalvyn717kalvyn717 Member Posts: 5
    wat r u talking about, in the newest issue of motor trend, it cleary states that in "First Test: Infiniti G35 Coupe, the acceleration is 5.8 seconds....
  • Options
    sorry, my mistake, it was on Road&Track,
    0-60 6.1
    1/4mi 14.6
    0-100 14.9

IMO pretty lousy for all that power, I mean look at the numbers for a '99 M3, with "only" 240 HP and goes to 60 in (aprox) 5.5 sec and 1/4mi in low 14s. Numbers don't add up much in Infiniti's line up. Don't get me wrong, I consider this car georgeous and well equiped for the price, and that's why I have posponed my purchase (either 330ci or whatver) until I see more. But still, 280/270 sounds a lot on paper...but where the result?
  • Options
    The BMW is a inline 6 and the G35 coupe is V6. I guess the inline 6 is faster engine, so I was told.
  • Options
    crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    Is the G35 coupe heavier than the 330ci? Edmunds indicates that the G35 coupe is about 200 pounds heavier than the 350Z and gives a ratio of 1hp per 12.3lbs.

What's the ratio on the 330ci? It might be lighter and would account for the similar times.
  • Options
    neo_gtrwneo_gtrw Member Posts: 76
    So you only look at peak power and torque numbers? What about the car's weight and gearing?

330Ci's I-6 engine outputs more torque at lower RPM because its stroke > bore. With good gearing, it can get from 0-60 pretty fast. Nissan's V6 engine is more squarish in dimension, meaning stroke < bore. It can rev higher but the low-end torque will feel lacking. G35 coupe did beat the 330Ci in 0-100mph. Don't forget the G35 coupe weighs over 3400 lbs, 200lbs more than the 350Z. I believe R&T listed the test weight at 3600 lbs; pretty heavy for a sports car. G35 coupe is a sporty luxury coupe; 350Z is a true sports car. '99 M3 weighs 3100 lbs; big difference.

In that R&T article, G35 coupe got 0.92g for skid pad and 67.7mph for slalom. These phenomenal numbers are better than those of 330Ci.
  • Options
    crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    330ci
    Weight: 3285 lbs
    225hp
    1 to 14.6 lbs.

G35 Coupe
    Weight: 3435 lbs
    280hp
    1 to 12.27 lbs.

So, G35 should have more power and should be quicker. But then, these are two different engine layouts, one a V6 (G35) and the other an inline 6. Maybe the inline 6 puts more power to the wheels than the V6. Also, like mentioned above, gearing is also a factor.

I don't know...
  • Options
    Motor Trend got 5.8sec for 0-60.
    We shouldn't worry about a few tenth of a sec difference since most of us can't even get close to these numbers.

Again, 0.92g for skid pad and 67.7mph slalom are outstanding numbers. The handling of G35 coupe is in the realm of true sports cars :)
  • Options
    philly2002philly2002 Member Posts: 41
    Here's my list? Any questions?

1. 2003 Infiniti G35 Coupe 6M/T
    2. 2003 Mercury Maurader
    3. 2003 Nissan Murano
    4. 2003 Audi A4 Avant 5 M/T
    5. 2003 Lexus GX 470
    6. 2004 Audi A4 Coupe
    7. 2003 Nissan 350 Z 6M/T
  • Options
    gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    If you'd notice the BMW's are usually geared a lot shorter than most cars. Check out the top speed revs and 60 mph revs. The G in R&T is at 2100 rpm in sixth at 60. If I'm not mistaken the 330 ops out in the 140's at it's engines redline. The G is limited at 155mph@5700 rpm in sixth. Gearing is a HUGE factor. It's what makes a 160 hp Civic SI quick even though it's torque peak is atmopheric.
  • Options
    jwilson1jwilson1 Member Posts: 956
    Just like real estate, location location location makes a big difference on test results. Surface determines traction. Altitude is included in location. That and climate can account for nearly a second of difference on the most powerful cars. Both temperature and humidity impact tires, intakes, and me.

The rpm at launch effects 0-60 of course, and varies. As does the driver, and the driver's skill. And the number of miles on the car impact not only its gas mileage but its performance time.

Yadda yadda yadda.

Numbers are a good reference point, but not tenths, unless the numbers are head to head. No one will know for sure about the G or the Z until some track experience is in. If you see AutoX people lining up for the car, then you'll know.

Take care.
    Joe W.
  • Options
    thornickthornick Member Posts: 5
    I have found reference for G35 Coupe Pricing, but have not found color choices anywhere except the few I have seen in gallery photos. Can anyone direct me to them?

Thanks in advance! Tom
  • Options
    Ok, I heard you all. All of that tech (gearing, rpm, test environment, weight) explanation comes to a conclusion: the two car perform more or less the same, with a very marginal advantage for the G35 on raw speed, and more notably on handling. To me, I thought the difference was going to be bigger.

My point here is that I thought I was going to jump right on it and put an order ASAP, since on paper the G35 looked a LOT better than the 330ci power-wise. Well, I'm not jumping. Both are very goodlooking to my taste. I will wait and test drive both cars hand in hand.

Thank you all.
  • Options
    mbartombarto Member Posts: 24
    >I will wait and test drive both cars hand in hand.<

Good decision - only YOU will know what is BEST for you. And if test driving both will provide you an answer, then that's wise.

For me, I'm decided to go with the G35 manual coupe. Without driving the coupe, since it's not here yet, I expect it to be at least equal or better than the G35 sedan. There is a lot of things I can do with the $5000 I would be saving over choosing the Bimmer.

Good luck!

Cheers!
    Mark
    June '03 - G35 Coupe for me
  • Options
    Not because I think it's the fastest or best or most reliable. I just want one. It's the only new car that appeals to me inside and out. Other than the cheap plastics of course. But hey it's still a bargain in my book.
  • Options
    cadman88cadman88 Member Posts: 75
    Usually [non-permissible content removed] horses are weaker than American horses, German horses tend to be the strongest of all.
  • Options
    Japanese horsepower is usually found in a MUCH smaller displacement engine than "american" hp. Liter per liter the Japanese are more like the german hp.
    I mean there are very few American engines with the specific hp of the 3.5L Nissan and 3.0-3.2L Honda engines.
  • Options
    rghesselrghessel Member Posts: 122
    Does anyone have (or know a link to) pictures of a G35 with a wood dash kit installed? I've been looking at the G for many months now, but cant get over my dislike of the dash materials. Think the wood might make a huge difference (to me anyway), but want to see it first....
  • Options
    cadman88cadman88 Member Posts: 75
    I meant that a car with 250 [non-permissible content removed] horse power will usually loose in drag race against an American car with 250hp. A German car with 250hp will smoke them both. One [non-permissible content removed] horsepower is not as strong as one American hp one German hp smokes them both.
  • Options
    The G35 sedan I test drove had a after market wood kit installed. In my opinion, it looks bad. I don't think you going to find a after market wood kit that looks original as the wood you typically see in a luxury car. In factory wood-dash, the edge of the wood is overlaped with the console. In a after market kit, the wood is overlay on top of the console, and in hard-small area, it don't all fit nicely.
  • Options
    You really can't make any general statements about one engine configuration (inline-six vs. V6) being inherently more powerful, torquey, or "getting its power down better." Sales people makes stupid statements like this to sell the car their pushing, but either the inline-six or V6 can be tuned for any particular power delivery the engineers like. The tradeoffs for engine configuration have mainly to do with how different engines are packaged in the chassis (space efficiency, weight distribution, etc.). The V6's big advantage is that it is more compact, especially front-to-back. The inline-six is inherently smoother, but that can be addressed with balance shafts. That's about it.

I think the reason the 330 seems to be offering about the same performance as the G35c has to do with a variety of small factors working together:

1) Gearing - BMW tends to use shorter gearing on all its cars which gives the car better performance at lower speeds by getting the engine at peak HP rpm quicker and allowing it to stay near its power peak a greater amount of time during acceleration runs - this makes a big difference in 0-60 times at the expense of slightly higher fuel consumption and a busier engine at higher speeds.

2) Weight - The G35 is a bit heavier.

3) Marketing bravado - Nissan is using this engine in a wide variety of chassis and horsepower ratings seem to vary awfully widely be solely attributable to engine tuning. I think they're being a bit optimistic in the more-sporty models and a bit pessimistic in the less-sporty models. BMW is usually very conservative in their engine ratings. And keep in mind that Nissan has to put out horsepower numbers before the cars have actually completely full EPA testing. A number of recent cars (Miata and Ford Cobra come to mind) have had the mfgs come back six-months later and admit that the cars do not make near their rated power.

4) Noise in 0-60 performance testing - People who think BMWs are great always quote the quickest 0-60 they can find in the last couple years while we have very limited data on the G35c right now. If you test ten samples of a car at different times, you can easily get 0.5 seconds of variation in 0-60 times due to the myriad of factors involved.

All-in-all, I expect the G35c to be slightly faster than a 330ci, but the advantage isn't going to be very noticeable to the average driver.

The extra power of the G35c wouldn't be much of a factor in my buying decision, but then if I were in the market for one of these, I'd get a 325ci, save another $5K and enjoy revving that smooth inline-six another 1K rpm higher. Unless you are trying to make the car go absolutely as fast as it will go, you can get 330 preformance out of a 325 just by moving your shift-points up 1K rpm. To me, that's more fun anyway. IMHO, US drivers are really hung up on peak power. Even cars like the Mazda Miata and Protege with 135-odd-hp are very entertaining to drive quickly in the curves.

- Mark
  • Options
    dvj1dvj1 Member Posts: 1
    I guess for the rest of eternity no car will ever match the vaunted BMW for handling, smoothness etc. So why even try Nissan? After all the name Nissan- look it doesn't even stand for anything. Now BMW- that stands for something. You've got to have 3 capital letters to really say- "I am the king". An then look at the names of these cars. G35. I mean you can't be serious with letters that occur before L. Why do you think BMW uses M and Z- get it dummy???

I am just going to buy a G35 Coupe to spite and ruin the inchoate reputation of Nissan. Here is my Trojan Horse plan. Find people that look like they are leaning toward buying a G35. Step 2- roar up in the coupe and then get out and say loudly "This car sucks- I should have bought a BMW." I will have to buy several coupes because I live in a small town and people will catch on with he same color.
  • Options
    kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    While Nissan has always produced nice valued, reliable cars, their first entry into the 2DSC left a bit to be desired. They still quite haven't caught up to BMW. It seems to me to ba a bit ludicrious to expect them to beat the top player at their own game with one or two cars. It takes a steady stream of hits and revisions over the long haul to make this happen. Denial is just not for BMW fans, it's for Nissan fans who expect to much in such a short period of time with no long term successes in the target market.
  • Options
    dixiedogdixiedog Member Posts: 4
    thornick, you can go to infiniti.com for swatches of available colors. There's also an article in the November Car and Driver featuring a gorgeous red coupe.

dixiedog
  • Options
    jwilson1jwilson1 Member Posts: 956
    Suggestion: add to your yell: "...or a Porsche."

Thanks for the grins.

Joe W.
  • Options
    irvsteroniirvsteroni Member Posts: 56
    If 0-60 times were a big issue, I'd go for the Subaru Impreza WRX and save myself $5k or more (side note: the Impreza WRX did beat the BMW in a comparo test in Car & Driver). However, speed isn't everything. Styling and contents obviously count for alot and the G35C has alot of that going for it. And while the BMW might be the better car (after adding x amount of options and bringing the cost closer to $40k), the G35c at around $32K (dealer markups excluded!) should be plenty for a lot of people looking for an entry luxury coupe with reliability. Also wish it had a 4 year warranty which the g35c does not. Just my two cents.
  • Options
    corkfishcorkfish Member Posts: 537
    Does BMW sell a car that you can buy for $27K and will do 60 under 6 seconds? The 6 speed G35 should be interesting.
  • Options
    G35 Coupe skid pad: 0.92g
    slalom: 67.7mph

Turn to pages 172 & 173 of R&T's November issue and confirm that these numbers are even better than those of 911 Carrera. Amazing!
  • Options
    No BMW doesn't sell a car for $27K that will do under six-second 0-60, but then, neither does Infiniti. With absolutely no options, the G35c is about $30K. Most will go for $33-$35K.

- Mark
  • Options
    sphinx99sphinx99 Member Posts: 776
    What brand of tires are on the G35 coupe?
  • Options
    The g35 sedan can be bought for 26K.
  • Options
    In post #339 you said the G35 does NOT have a four year warranty. Is that what you really meant to say? Infiniti has a 4yr/60K mile bumper to bumper and a 6yr/70K mile power train warranty.
  • Options
    Tell me where and I'll buy every one that is available.
  • Options
    Check the other forum and contact "cloth". He bought a base model in California for $26,000. The invoice for the base car is somwhere in the $25's so it's difficult, but possible. Don't buy them all now, wait until the 6 speed is available.
  • Options
    When the coupe arrive, you should be able to get the Sedan 1k-1.5k above dealer invoice. Too bad i'm too hard cord on a manual trans, otherwise, the sedan is looking better price wise afte the release of the coupe.
  • Options
    A 6 Speed MT will be available on the 4 door shortly. You can order one for December production with delivery in February. I would suggest actually placing an order so you can choose color and option levels, as dealers will not stock a great many MT 4 doors.
  • Options
    tires on R&T's G35 coupe test car:
    Michelin Pilot Sport
    225/45R-18 front
    245/45R-18 rear

Skidpad: 0.92g
    Slalom: 67.7mph
    Balance: mild understeer
    curb weight: 3435 lb
    test weight: 3600 lb
    0-60mph: 6.1s
    0-100mph: 14.9s
    1/4 mile: 14.6 @ 98.6mph
    stop from 60: 117ft
    stop from 80: 205ft
    fuel economy: 20.0mpg
    engine rpm at 60mph: 2100
  • Options
    Given the Port District labor strike still to be settle, I don't think the western states will see a coupe delivery to dealership until December. By December roll around, wonder if auto sells be on a decline. Xmas is a season to make purchase but usually not for high ticket item. When January comes around, people will have to concern with the IRS fee. I think the timing for infiniti coupe roll out is bad for westcoast. Infiniti will not make too many MSRP sell. That should play into buyer market for us westerner. Typically Jan - Feb is a slow months for auto sells.
  • Options
    2002q452002q45 Member Posts: 7
    Im reading the messages posted here it is easy to see the bias of some people. The arguments will continue forever concerning BMW and competitors. I believe if you want a fair comparison you read what the trade publications have to say about the new G35 Coupe. These people have no vested interest and hopefully no personal bias. The November issue of Automobile Magazine has the new G35 Coupe on the cover along with a BMW 330ci. The headline reads, "SHOCK! BMW BEATER! Infiniti's new G35 Sport Coupe does the unthinkable." For you BMW snobs you may want to look at page 48 which shows the up to date and very stylish rear of the car. Get used to looking at it because that is all you will see!