Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Infiniti G35 Coupe

Comments

• Options
    gregfockergregfocker Member Posts: 39
    The G35 and 350Z are quite nice "watered down" versions of the GT-R. They are much more than adequate for most drivers here in the US. Besides, if the GT-R were to ever make it here in it's true form, it would be priced MUCH higher than the $30K you are talking about. In fact, it would be priced MUCH higher than the current G35 and 350Z's which are already low priced in their respective markets. Better performance = higher prices.

Why don't you tell all the BMW 330i owners that they should have bought the M3. Or all of the Porsche Carrera owners they shouldn't waste their money on "watered down" versions like that and should have purchased the Turbo. Not everyone can afford everything (or have the time to wait on Nissan to import the GT-R) so live within your means and enjoy the ride...
  • Options
    hvan3hvan3 Member Posts: 630
    <<So why bother with the Z or G? Wait till they bring the R... It has superior handling, a universal respect, not to mention,>>

Why bother talking about the R when it doesn't even exist in the US? It's a waste of bandwidth!
  • Options
    verozahlverozahl Member Posts: 574
    Why talk about a "R"? Because we'd all fall asleep talking about Chevrolet Impalas.

GT-R => $80K or so imported price when they hit the market later this decade, I believe.
  • Options
    speculativespeculative Member Posts: 36
    5.49 sec 0-60 for the track model of Z car (manual).
    1/4 mile 13.95@102.25
    Motor Trend sep 2002

So Id expect it to be around there for the G35 coupe
  • Options
    blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    No way. The car's size, source (nissan/infiniti) and platform demand it be priced according to the competition. Anything over 45k starting is suicide as the M3 will still be the car of choice. If Nissan wants to fight the M3 then they better price the GT-R accordingly.

And please don't go babbling about AWD and this doo-dad and that. I've seen the stats on the last GT-R and the M3 has it beat. So If Nissan wants to sell their "supercar" it better offer legit supercar numbers (0-60 in under 4 seconds to maybe a hair over 4, 1/4s at well over 100,etc).

Why pay 80k for a Nissan when you can get a Z06 or M3 for 50k?
  • Options
    neo_gtrwneo_gtrw Member Posts: 76
    M3 isn't all that great on the race tracks according to June issue of R&T; it handles poorly when pushed to the limit. The new GT-R will hopefully compete with Porsche 911.
  • Options
    supersajinsupersajin Member Posts: 4
    has anyone heard when they will be coming out with pricing for options?
  • Options
    nvedraninvedrani Member Posts: 58
    "Thank you for contacting Nissan North America, Inc. and allowing us the
    opportunity to be of assistance.
    Pricing information on this vehicle should be available by the last week of
    August. For online updates and information on this vehicle, please visit our news
    bureau at www.infinitinews.com.
    If you have any further questions or comments, please feel free to e-mail us.
    Sincerely,
    James Ne'gro, National Consumer Affairs"
    ---This is all I could get from them---
  • Options
    supersajinsupersajin Member Posts: 4
    I heard that infiniti dealers are only allowed 2 manuals per fleet. What's up with that??? I hope this isn't true cause that fact will make me take a closer look at the ultimate driving machine.
  • Options
    whothemanwhotheman Member Posts: 169
    that's a miracle worth investigating! The G35 is a great car, if you can't afford the M3.

The Skyline is one of the ugliest beast I've ever seen. Looks like a Saleen 7 BEFORE you wash/wax it!

Less than 6 seconds on our "less than Autobahn spec" roads is plenty.
  • Options
    jasonpdjasonpd Member Posts: 1
    Yesterday I spotted a White G35 Coupe on eastbound I-94 between Milwaukee and Madison, Wisconsin. I was headed west bound near Delafield at 11:45 a.m.

It was flat out beautiful!

It appeared to have baby blue dealer plates (Michigan?). I wish we had been heading in the same direction so I could get a better look. Again, it was gorgeous.
  • Options
    mbartombarto Member Posts: 24
    Just released from Nissan News Bureau.

Pics URL:
    http://www.nissannews.com/multimedia/infiniti2003/g35sportcoupe.shtml

Specs (280 hp/ 270 ft. lbs of torque) URL:
    http://www.nissannews.com/infiniti/2003vehicles/g35sportcoupe/specs.doc

Cheers!
    Mark
  • Options
    sphinx99sphinx99 Member Posts: 776
    3400lbs... hmm.

Well, it's lighter than the Acura CL.
  • Options
    boomn29boomn29 Member Posts: 189
    But it costs more than the 350Z right? So what is the point of getting it besides the DVD/Navigation system and it being upscale Nissan?
  • Options
    jaserbjaserb Member Posts: 820
    A back seat, for one. Less boy-racer looking, for another. One's a sports car, the other's a sporty luxury 2+2 coupe.

-Jason
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Agreed, jaserb. I wouldn't even consider buying a 350Z, but the G35 Coupe is high on my list. I want a sporty car, but I don't want a sports car.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    irvsteroniirvsteroni Member Posts: 56
    After driving a frigging CRV for five years, I look forward to getting my G35C. However, I expect that dealers will be marking the price up above MSRP if its as popular as it appears it will be. Maybe a 2004 model is what I'll end up with though I'd be willing to pay MSRP but nothing beyond that.

From some angles, the G35c looks a lot like the 350Z especially at the front. From info I've gathered reading articles on the web, I think the G35c is likely to be 4" to 6" shorter than the sedan so there ought to be plenty of room in the back seat. The car does look awesome and elegant but I wonder if purchasing a Subaru WRX wouldn't give me better driving thrills albeit even if its' not in the same quality class or more substance like the g35c appears to be (hey, the Subaru did come close to beating the BMW and Audi in Car & Driver comparison and has a 5.4 to 5.8 sec. 0-60 with all wheel drive). These are the two I'll vehicles I'll be looking at.
  • Options
    Will the 6-speed be under $30k? Seems pretty loaded to me! Just need the Premium Package (Probably $2k), and I'm set! I'd like to have the limited-slip, but I'll make it without it.

Got about 100 lbs. on the Z. Gearing is probably a little tamer. Slighly less powerful. 0-60 should be right at 6 seconds (about the same as a 33oci)! No problem wit dat!

whotheman
  • Options
    mhaber468mhaber468 Member Posts: 8
    I like the G35c. It reminds me of my first car, an '84 Supra, except the Infiniti is almost 20 years more advanced. I am blown away on all counts - power, styling, price, etc. I just hope the styling isn't disappointing in person like the Jag X-type (last year's car crush). I don't think I'll buy a new G35c - I'm fickle when it comes to cars and I'd lose a little too much on my 2000 Dakota Quad Cab. A 1-year old G35c for $22-25k with 48k miles left on the warranty!? Besides, I will turn 30 next year so I'll fit the demographics better.
  • Options
    blacktalonblacktalon Member Posts: 203
    It's interesting how these two cars are very similar mechanically, but seem to project very different characters.

Personally, I'm coming at this from the opposite angle as kirstie_h and jaserb. I want a sports car, not a sporty luxury car, so the 350Z is at the top of my list, while the G35C is nice, but no cigar.
  • Options
    "It's interesting how these two cars are very similar mechanically, but seem to project very different characters".

Choice - that's a great thing. Think how disappointed each of us would be if we only had one of these magnificient automobiles and it fell just short of meeting our needs or desires. We'd be asking ourselves, "If only?"

Cheers!
    Mark
    June '03 - G35 Coupe for me!
  • Options
    I found this on Cars.com.

http://rav1.classifiedventures.com/cars/audio/winmedia/vehicle_profiles/350z_startup.wma

Make sure to turn the sound down first!

You can also view their 350Z article and some nice pics under their "Car Reviews" tab in the "Latest Reviews" section.

I'm still partial to the G35C. For now, I just figure whatever I read/hear/see on the 350Z will be in the ballpark for the G35C.
  • Options
    joeandcarol2joeandcarol2 Member Posts: 152
    Its probably not lighter. The curb weight that Infiniti specs is for the base model. After adding the sunroof and power seats, heated seats etc it probably weighs as much or more. The CL does not offer a base model of course.
  • Options
    bodydoublebodydouble Member Posts: 801
    What is that? I hope is not like the useless gimmicky double moonroof on the Subaru Outback Limited.
  • Options
    dual sliding...just means it pops up or can slide back. most sunroofs do this now.
  • Options
    Right? Wouldn't make sense to have it go over AND into the car. Then it must hurt rear headroom for no reason!

whotheman
  • Options
    Are you talking about a sunroof action like that of the Saturn and Mitsu? I'm not a fan of that style. I hope the G35c does cut into the rear headroom, so lone as the lines remain clean I couldn't care less what happens to the people back there.
  • Options
    verozahlverozahl Member Posts: 574
    What? People want to ride in the back seat of your G35c? Tell them to get whining and get their own!
  • Options
    Looks like a spoiler or wing on the car.

whotheman
  • Options
    Click the URL link for the updated Infiniti G35 Coupe Website.

http://www.infiniti.com/g35coupe

Cheers!

Mark

June '03 - G35 Coupe for me

• Options
    multiplechoicemultiplechoice Member Posts: 113
    While in San Francisco this past weekend, I saw a "grey" G35 coupe. Looked pretty nice! It had dealer plates on it. I prefer the front end of the G35 coupe compared to the 350Z.
  • Options
    merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    I saw one of these today myself. I was disappointed, the front is good looking but the rear is not so hot. It looks like an afterthought. Really wanted to like this car, oh well.

M
  • Options
    wishnhigh1wishnhigh1 Member Posts: 363
    I thought solicitation wasnt allowed here?
  • Options
    sphinx99sphinx99 Member Posts: 776
    It isn't, but while we're at it I'm selling a used pair of sneakers

Used Pair of Sneakers $0.50
  • Options
    sailing216sailing216 Member Posts: 98
    I posted the pic on the 350z board, so I figure let you guys dream. You may have seen it, it's not mine, and I don't ever think it will be real. If you are lisntening Nissan/infiniti, you need a 3-series convertible killer, if you build it, we will buy.

• Options
    Thanks for the pricing info. Where are you located? Do you know what colors the coupe will be offered in?
  • Options
    bpraxisbpraxis Member Posts: 292
    Hello everyone and I hope that you are having a great day.

If the base G35C is $29,100 with automatic and leather than the Infiniti is a much better value than the 350Z. An automatic Z in the enthusiast model would actually be closer to $30,000 with less standard features.

Now I know that both cars will have somewhat different audiences but the value is definately tilted towards the Infiniti.

The G35 Coupe is approximately 13 inches more car than the Z with a back seat, better warranty, almost the same horsepower, more prestige, (luxury brand), and more standard features.

This is the golden age of automobiles.
  • Options
    robtflrobtfl Member Posts: 36
    If you were reading it correctly, you would have noticed that $29,100 was base auto, no leather. That model runs $31,400, a $2300 difference. Looks like $36,000 when you add premium pkg. for another $2250,transportation for $545, and tax,title,tags. Not such a bargain really.
  • Options
    robtflrobtfl Member Posts: 36
    If you were reading it correctly, you would have noticed that $29,100 was base auto, no leather. That model runs $31,400, a $2300 difference. Looks like $36,000 when you add premium pkg. for another $2250,transportation for $545, and tax,title,tags. Not such a bargain really.
  • Options
    bpraxisbpraxis Member Posts: 292
    Hello and I hope that you are having a nice day.

I must be going crazy because I did not mean to type leather. The base version with cloth would be great for me and I have no need for the premium package. Living is Florida I prefer cloth which does not make your back sweat in the summer heat. So the MSRP would be approximately $29,600.

And after the initial demand cools off my goal would be to get a $2000, discount. So for $27,600 for 280 horsepower, a new bodystyle, Infiniti quality, and many standard features looks like a great value to me.

Has anyone seen any of the colors that will be available??? With the economy heading in the toilet and the massive amount of wonderful new cars it will not be long before Infiniti is discounting.

Have a great day
  • Options
    rob,

Lemme get this straight, an almost fully equipped G35c with 280 HP and a 6 speed, carrying all features but a navi at 36k isn't a good deal?

A BMW 330ci with leather, moonroof, 18" wheels, sport, premium and xenon has a sticker over 43k. That's 7k more for a 5spd with 55 fewer horsepower.

Right, the G35c is a rotten deal. Good grief.
  • Options
    ilcapoprimoilcapoprimo Member Posts: 1
    does anyone know the colors for the coupe at this time? im hoping there will be a better selection than the dreary colors offered with the sedan.
  • Options
    cheerioboy26cheerioboy26 Member Posts: 412
    Updated info, and that goofy choose your color applet is updated at infiniti.com - click on future models-->g35 coupe--> then "pre order" and it will take you to all the specs, prices, colors, etc.
  • Options
    habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    I generally agree that the G35 is looking like a good deal, but on the 330i comparison (since I considered one last fall):

(1) Price: I found that a loaded 530i can be had for about $41k through European Delivery. I didn't price it out exactly, but my guess is about $37k for a 330i.

(2) BMW uses larger "horses" than does Infiniti/Nissan. As such 225 BMW horsepower is roughly equal to 270-280 Infiniti horsepower. Remember the previous generation M3 with it's lowly 240 hp? - it will still significantly outperform virtually any current Japanese coupe/sedan claiming 260+ horsepower, and probably the new 350Z

(3) Infiniti has historically depreciated much more rapidly than BMW. So an extra few thousand up front for a BMW may still produce a less expensive ownership experience over 3-4+ years.

I am looking forward to driving one back to back with a 330ci.
  • Options
    madmonkaymadmonkay Member Posts: 12
    I noticed Edmunds updated some new pics of the G35 coupe. Take a look. I was about to get the Audi A4 until I saw the pictures for the coupe in a magazine. I test drove the G sedan yesterday and found it to be amazing. THe interior didnt shock me because I already read what people said about it. However, in the coupe the radio controls should be titanium and look much nicer.

They are already telling me to order the vehicle because the demand is high and I can't bargain off MSRP? What? I can't believe that many people are going to buy the coupe. I have maybe seen 2 G35 sedans on the road, and when I went into the dealership...I saw a load of new G35 cars that were UNSOLD.

But I cant wait until the coupe comes out...its nicE!
  • Options
    Mad,

You might be able to get the G35 sedan under sticker (this depends on where you live) but understand that the sedan is easily Infiniti's best seller and has been for 6 or 7 months. They're moving over 3k a month, which for Infiniti is through the roof.

As for the coupe, good luck getting one under sticker. Demand right now is huge. Everybody wants to try out the 6 speed and 280 hp in that sexy design.

Habitat,

According to www.bmwusa ( http://bmwusa.com/site_layout/virtual/eurodeliv/savings.html ), a 2002 330ci with euro delivery will save you $2,400 off the msrp. Factor in the cost of the flight there and food and possibly lodging and the savings dips below 2k. So on a 43k car you're looking at over 41k.

Check the leasing numbers banks are giving on the G residuals after 3 years. They're astronomical as the car's an unmitigated success.

BMW's gearing is what helps propel the cars. And the last gen M3 mustered 60 in 5.4-5.8 seconds pretty consistently. Personally, I think BMW's gearing rules and that they claim less HP than the cars produce.

I'm not sure what kinda stripper 530i you're talking about but a 2002 530i with the sports package, cold weather package, leather, moonroof, xenons, navi and premium sound comes it at 48k, with a 2700 savings for the euro delivery program. 45-46k...that's a hefty premium over a 36-38k fully decked G35 coupe.

BTW, why compare a G35 coupe to a 530i sedan? Huh? Or are you looking at the cheaper G35 sedan?

• Options
    wishnhigh1wishnhigh1 Member Posts: 363
    Possibly because the sedan doesnt get a manual until febuary
  • Options
    Then wait until February. It's only 5 months.
  • Options
    kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    The Gs residuals are high due to success. When some pointed out the 330is residuals were high, it was pointed out it was an inflated number.

Interesting.
  • Options
    Kd, I'd never say that. I love the 3 series and believe every accolade it gets is deserved. BMW earned that high resale and huge respect the press gives it.

If only I trusted their cars to run...