Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Sienna Future Models

Comments

• Options
    leknlekn Member Posts: 78
    twinmom73 wrote:
    > fold-down tray is standard on CE and LE and optional on XLE Ltd

My guess is that the powered removal console is standard on the XLE; it has cup holders and storage, thus making the fold down tray redundant. But for my use, I probably would remove the console for easy accessibility to back seats; and I do prefer the fold down tray as well.
  • Options
    beckyokbeckyok Member Posts: 15
    Does anyone know what color the LE van on the toyota web site is? It looks very close to the green of my 98 sienna. I am hoping this is true but I can't find a blue mirage vehicle anywhere online to compare to these photos.

Thanks for any info, Becky
  • Options
    tracy26tracy26 Member Posts: 26
    Thanks so much for your responses. I think we are going to wait for the 04's, though we will need to purchase one sooner than January.
         Does anyone know which other Toyota models are built exclusively in the U.S., and are the U.S. built models usually held to be inferior in quality? Also, were the current Sienna models also manufactured entirely in the US?
  • Options
    andrewtran71andrewtran71 Member Posts: 840
    Tracy, I believe the only Toyota not made in the USA is the Landcruiser, which is made in Japan with the rest of the Lexus.
    I think the cars made in Japan are superior to the ones here in the US. That's why "Lexus" is made in Japan and "Toyota" is made here in the US (except Landcruiser). That's why Lexus is the number one reliable make and Toyota is like number 6, although a "Lexus" in Japan is just called a Toyota, not Lexus.
    One argument against my reasoning is the Mazda MVP minvan, which I believe is made in Japan. For some reasons I don't think it's as reliable as the Toyota or Honda made in the USA.
  • Options
    deepandeepan Member Posts: 342
    I think its more to do with how the manufacturing of vehicles are done. (assembly line, machinery, quality control, tolerances etc.. ) I think the average worker is skilled the same whether he/she puts together a GM/FORD or a toyota/Honda its the other variable thats affects the end product IMHO.
  • Options
    Thanks for clarifying that for me... I didn't realize Toyotas (other than Landcruiser) were all made in U.S. Can't afford a Lexus, so I guess #6 will have to do....
  • Options
    deepan has a good point. If Toyota uses better quality parts on their Lexus cars than they do on their USA-Toyota cars, then naturally the Lexus would be more reliable. So even though a Lexus is a Toyota, it actually has parts that are of much better quality. Since the new RX330 will be made Canada, we will see if the quality is just as good as in Japan.
  • Options
    Kelly bluebook site has a review of the 2004 Siennas that states that base models will now include power windows/doors as standard equipment. Does anyone know if this is so?
        Currently, to my knowledge, these features have to be purchased as part of a convenience pkg. on the 2003 CE's. (The HX pkg. on the 2003 CE adds power windows and doors, among other things, and costs just under $1000). If there is $1,000 drop on the base price of 2004's, as has been variously reported, and now power doors/locks are both standard, then there will be nearly a $2,000 drop in base MSRP for reasonably equipped CE, which can partly offset the absence of discounts and incentives. Or am I missing something?
           Steveb: On the subject of Toyota's diabolically confusing model grades and configurations: I still can't quite figure out what the difference is between a 2003 CE with HX pkg. and an Le with UN pkg, other than a huge leap in cost for the LE. As far as I can see, the exteriors are identical, and they are virtually indistinguishable as far as equipment. So is it just the status factor of LE vs. CE that makes the LE more desirable-- ?

Thanks for all info!
  • Options
    dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    http://www.carsontoyota.com/html/2004sienna.html#Sienna:%20Order%20Form

If you look at the above link, one of the pictures of the back of the Sienna has a third row seat that is not split (it is 3 over and 5 down) but seems to fold flush, it also has a 60/40 middle row seat (as opposed to the 3 seperate seats, or two captains chairs) compare it to the picture that is 5 over and 5 down and you will see the difference. Is this some stripped version of the Toyota, or is it some other car? I doubt it is another car because the plastic trim on the side looks identical.

My guess is that it is a CE - has Toyota mentioned anything about the CE not having the split third row, and not having the 3 seperate seats in the middle for an 8-passenger model?
  • Options
    on 2003 CE & LE models
    LE has a tach, better fabric on the seats, adjustble (fwd & aft) head restraints, illuminated visor, alloy wheels, etc ...
    powertrain is the same but you get luxury items added.
  • Options
    thats probably from the Ramp van which apparently doesnt have 3rd seating as in 4 over and 3 down. this is for wheel chair access.
  • Options
    toocajun4utoocajun4u Member Posts: 26
    You had me going for a minute...but that pic appears to be of the "wheelchair-accessible" version. Note what appears to be a wheelchair in the passenger front position.

It appears to have no third row seating at all (probably to add structural reinforcement for a lift assembly.) Also, if you look closely, the second-row 60/40 seats are pushed way back compared to the standard config. That would allow space for a wheelchair to be brought in through the sliding door (I believe another set of pics also showed a side-mounted ramp on this model.)

Larry R
    2002 Sienna XLE
  • Options
    sequoiasaurussequoiasaurus Member Posts: 240
    dudleyr you even had me going to until I visited http://pressroom.toyota.com and saw that the picture is the IMS Ramp van. It's on page 5 of the official photos.
  • Options
    Can someone tell me how to get to the discussion board for townhall software etc. I know that I saw one pertaining to the new layout but I can't seem to find it anymore.

Thanks
  • Options
    Here's a short list of questions I would like to find the answers to on the 2004 Sienna:

1. Satellite radio option available for 2004?
    2. One-Touch up/down for any or all windows?
    3. Heated seats available for higher end model?
    4. Will Toyota ever offer an "on-star" type feature?

Also, a visitor to my website asked if the new Sienna has a separate opening rear window. I'm pretty certain that it does not but just in case post here if different.
  • Options
    dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Glad to hear that is the ramp van - thanks!
  • Options
    civicwcivicw Member Posts: 135
    Must be great fun for the Toyota marketing dorks putting together a zillion confusing options and packages for the Sienna. Can't they keep it simple for consumers, like Honda does? Granted it's take it or leave it (LX, EX, etc), but at least Honda's honest about what you can/can't get.
  • Options
    wardewarde Member Posts: 26
    Hello, I have been following the discussion for awhile, but never had much input, until now. My family really needs the 8 passenger seating, so we are stuck with the CE or the LE. One feature that we really want is the power sliding doors, which I thought was only on the XLE and the XLE limited, until a previous post questioned it, so I called Toyota (Not the local dealer). They said that the brochure states that the power side and power rear are only on the XLE and the XLE Limited, but the power side doors can come on the LE, just not the power rear! That is why the LE can have the pinch protectors. Hope he is right!
  • Options
    coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    Packages and options should be more clear closer to the Sienna's launch date.

Toyota makes several vehicles exclusively in Japan.

MR2-Spyder
    Celica
    ECHO
    Prius
    RAV4 and the electric version of the RAV4
    Land Cruiser
    4Runner
    Highlander
  • Options
    lachancslachancs Member Posts: 16
    I just got back from talking with the sales manager at a large Toyota dealer in the DC area. He would NOT take a pre-order - here's the deal:

Toyota dealers are allocated Siennas from Toyota, they don't get to order exactly what they want (for at least the first 9 months or so). He told me every Toyota dealer has been allocated one '04 Sienna to arrive early March.

He would have let me put a deposit only on that one he has coming in. It just happens to be an LE model and I'm looking for the XLE Limited. He said Toyota will allocate more vehicles to dealers every few weeks and that I need to check back periodically to see what he has coming in.

Personally I think that's nuts that I can't go to a dealer and order exactly what I want. Essentially I need to accept whatever Toyota is sending to him (or other local dealers).

Pricing nor brochures have been given to dealers yet, and the sales manager was not given a date as to when they would arrive.

It's like everyone else has said - Folks in this chat group seem to know more than the dealer do. . .
  • Options
    wardewarde Member Posts: 26
    1-800-gotoyota said that middle Feb. should be when the pricing is released.
  • Options
    little_pogilittle_pogi Member Posts: 149
  • Options
    tigaoriontigaorion Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have information on the difference between the XLE and XLE Limited models? I've been lurking for a while, but now seriously considering a swap of my current Sequoia LTD to the 04' Sienna. Thanks!!
  • Options
    little_pogilittle_pogi Member Posts: 149
    Looking at the official 2004 Toyota Sienna brochure I got from the car show:
    1. No mention of any satellite radio option
    2. No memtion of one-touch up-down for all windows. Only thing that power windows comes standard in 1st and 2nd row seating in all models.
    3. "Driver and front passenger heated seats with adjustable temperature control (leather-trimmed seats only)" Available on XLE and standard on XLE Limited.
    4. No mention on any on-star system.

Some diference between the XLE and XLE Limited.
    * "JBL Synthesis AM/FM Cassette/CD with ten speakers, making the Sienna the only minivan with surround sound (with 6-disc in-dash changer)"
    * "Retractable side-window sunshades"
    * "Driver and front passenger seat-mounted side and three-row side curtain airbags"
    * VSC, DRL, and brake assist
    * HID headlamps
    * "Intuitive Parking Assist"
    * "Dynamic Laser Cruise Control"
    * "Windshield wiper de-icer grid"
    * "Auto-dimming electrochomic driver's power mirrow and inside rearview mirror"
    All of these are standard on the XLE Limited and may be only available on the other models.

I seems that Toyota is doing extensive road testing on the 2004 Sienna in Southern California. I just saw one again today (XLE limited) on the 10 frwy just outside Palm Springs. Followed it for over 15 miles and did a 360 on it as we were criusing along the 10. Looks impresive. The only thing I did not like was the color (demim blue).
  • Options
    A few additional differences:

* 17" Alloy 225/60 R17 standard on limited (vs 16" alloy on XLE)
    * JBL Sound system is the same on XLE and XLE limited. Only the limited has the 6 disc changer.

Note that the Parking assist, laser cruise control, Xenon and autodimming mirrors are listed as standard on the XLE limited; and they are not available as an option for other models.
  • Options
    toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    1. Satellite radio option available for 2004?
    Answer- As far as I know, Toyota has no plans for X-M radio as they are not a huge fan of products that cost a monthly service fee for usage such as Onstar. They try to have alternatives without the service fee typically.

2. One-Touch up/down for any or all windows?
    Answer- Toyota will probably have what they have in most of their upper end vehicles which is to say auto down, possibly up for the driver's window only. The auto up and down feature is usually limited to the Lexus line as one of the things that distinguishes it from Toyota.

3. Heated seats available for higher end model?
    Answer- Similar to the answer above, if they do what they have been doing with most of their higher-end vehicles, heated seats will be available with leather only as an option. They will probably use a similar system as what they have in the 4runner and it will be adjustable.

4. Will Toyota ever offer an "on-star" type feature?
    Answer- Toyota has preferred to use the DVD navigation system so that customers don't have to pay a monthly service charge.

Hope this helps.

Ken
  • Options
    bilstellbilstell Member Posts: 3
    If you want to know what the 2004 sienna looks like, go look at a honda odyssey. My brother works for the toyota plant in Princeton, In.
    Toyota bought a Honda Odyssey so they could
    reverse engineer it. After doing that they sent
    a group of engineers to the local honda dealer
    (D. Patrick) to again go over the different specs of each model. I had a long talk w/ him about both vans. He said the main reason the honda is
    cheaper, is because honda just builds a two grades
    of vans ( an lx and an ex). He said honda makes everything standard. All ex odyssey's are fully equipped. That might be why they don't negotiate;
    it already is a good deal (dollar for dollar). I
    hope toyota learns a little from honda. I tried to negotiate with the local toyota dealer. They did discount quite a bit, but I found the odyssey
    was still less money better equipped. I come from a toyota family, but they may lose me. If toyota has to copy the odyssey to compete, why not get the original, especially if the odyssey is still
    less money, more horsepower, and better equipped.
    I' ll tell you what I do, later.
  • Options
    nofeernofeer Member Posts: 381
    I thought they had a wholE LIST of ala cart things inclu maybe ding rear assist, auto dimming review mirror etc. maybe we need a side by side comparison of features ex vs xle vs xle limited and list dealer add on options. that's how they did the pilot as well, tough to compare till they are appples to appples.
  • Options
    todd3940todd3940 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Sienna XLE which does not have memory seats. I am excited about trading for the 2004 but was wondering if anyone knows if the leather seats in the xle or limited will have memory seats. thanks
  • Options
    canuck13canuck13 Member Posts: 73
    Lekn:

I see you are from Canada. You may be interested that the spec sheet for Canadian models is quite different than the feature list on the US web site. For example, my spec sheet only has a XLE model...no separate "Limited" model. The XLE in Canada will come with the "Limited" badge (I'm told). It will have only some of the equipment that the XLE Limited has, however. For example, it comes with 17" alloys (run flat in the AWD version) vs 16" Alloys in the US XLE. But I don't see HID headlamps or Dynamic Laser Cruise Control on the Spec sheet I've got. The Canadian XLE has "Reflector Style Halogen Headlamps".
  • Options
    Actually, those specs I have written is all based on US specs sheet. I am not aware that there is an official Canadian specs - do you have one? But according to the press release by Toyota Canada:

http://www.newswire.ca/releases/January2003/06/c7587.html

It is pretty similar to US. The Limited is available as a "package" option for the XLE model. And the press release did mention about HID and laser cruise control. It seems to be specifically written for Canada (e.g. appropriate phone number) and not just a copy from US press release.
  • Options
    tommy38tommy38 Member Posts: 32
    In the Spec sheet that you got for Canadian market, is the Vehicle Skid Control (VSC) standard for FWD/LE and FWD/XLE trims? I am more interested in the FWD/LE trim if it does come with the VSC. Thanks.
  • Options
    Fromthe above site:

Sienna's five-speed automatic transmission is controlled by a gated
    shifter conveniently integrated into the lower control panel of the dashboard.
    For exceptional active safety under all driving conditions, all Sienna models
    are fitted with Anti-lock Braking System, Brake Assist and Electronic Brake
    force Distribution. Sienna XLE FWD as well as LE and XLE 4WD models are
    further equipped with Vehicle Stability Control and Traction Control.
  • Options
    Competition is good--very good for the rest of us.
    The reason the new 2004 Sienna should be better than the 2003 Odyssey is because they did the research and their entire goal was to make it better than the odyssey.
    Why would you want the old when you can have the new?
    For example, notice the new Sienna has side curtain airbags and the "old" Odyssey does not.
    Now tell me, if you and your family were in an accident, wouldn't you want your kids (assuming you have kids or just theoretically) to be protected by side curtain airbags?
    That's just one example. The bottom line is, Toyota made it their top priority to make a van better than the Odyssey.
    Now next year, Honda may do the same and try to make a van better than the new Sienna. Then you could say buying the Odyssey may be better.
    Competition is very good for all of us because we end up with better products.
  • Options
    I have a 2 page fax marked "Preliminary Information - subject to change". The title is "2004 SIENNA Standard Features". It shows 7 columns for the 7 available models: CE FWD 7 passenger; CE FWD 8 passenger; LE FWD 7 passenger; LE FWD 8 passenger; XLE FWD 7 passenger; LE AWD 7 passenger; XLE AWD 7 passenger. Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), 17" wheels and Traction Control are standard on the last 3 in the list but not the first 4. There is no mention of HID -all models show Reflector Style Halogen Headlamps as standard. There is no mention of a XLE Limited model . Nor is there any mention of Laser Cruise Control. So this seems to be different information than what you see in the newswire. I have no idea which one is accurate.
  • Options
    Both could be accurate and they are not contradictory. The press release confirmed the models you mentioned. Just that unlike US, XLE Limited is not counted as a separate model. Instead, as the press release stated, it is sold as package option upgrade of the XLE model. For example, for the 2003 Sienna in Canada, there are supposed to be two models CE and LE. But with the LE, "XLE Limited" is offered as a package option upgrade. Did your fax mention any options? Any chance you can scan it and put it up in a web page? Thanks!
  • Options
    unc8185unc8185 Member Posts: 33
    I am still concerned that the XLE Limited will lack true luxury. The lack of a power passenger seat just doesn't make sense. How good with the JBL audio system be? Will the wood and plastic be of the highest quality?

There are people who want a luxury minivan. However, no luxury manufacturer produces such a vehicle. I repeatedly try to find a luxury SUV that would work with our wheelchair lift. However, only minivans will work. I was hoping that Lexus would add a minivan to its lineup.

The XLE Limited sounds like it is a nice van. :-(
  • Options
    Lekn:

No, scanning won't work...the fax is of very poor quality...I need to use 2 pairs of reading glasses just to see what it says. I think the XLE model comes as a "Limited" model in Canada according to these preliminary specs. I don't think you can have XLE without "Limited". The XLE comes equiped very similarly to the 2003 LE with the "Limited" package. I called the dealer and asked him and that is what he told me. But, who knows?? Maybe someone from Toyota is watching this discussion and will clear it up for us.
  • Options
    richlavoierichlavoie Member Posts: 56
    The folowing site is in French, but is very clear on the models

http://www.autonet.qc.ca/Nouvelles/AutoNouvelles/Stories.cfm?stor- yID=7451

In general, it says there are 3 models, CE, LE and XLE. In confirms pretty much what canuck13 has on his fax regarding VSC and Traction control.

It also confirms that all models have ABS, Brake Assist and Electronic brake control.

I am looking at the LE 7 Passenger. I think the price will be right as Toyota is trying to increase its market share. Plus, it is coming our at a time when you can start dealing the other brands on their 2003 (the odyssey is still a nice vehicle). I am only worried about the interest rate they will charge. They can be high, depending on the model (4runner is very high, highlander is OK).
  • Options
    Lekn:

No, scanning won't work...the fax is of very poor quality...I need to use 2 pairs of reading glasses just to see what it says. I think the XLE model comes as a "Limited" model in Canada according to these preliminary specs. I don't think you can have XLE without "Limited". The XLE comes equiped very similarly to the 2003 LE with the "Limited" package. I called the dealer and asked him and that is what he told me. But, who knows?? Maybe someone from Toyota is watching this discussion and will clear it up for us.
  • Options
    richlavoierichlavoie Member Posts: 56
  • Options
    Rich:

My grade 9 French is a bit rusty...how about a translation?? I can make out most of what it says and yes, it seems to match what I have.

One thing I find a bit odd...if my calculations are correct, the 215 65 R16 (total radius of 342.9mm) tires are smaller size than the 225 60 R17's (radius 350.9). A 225 65 R16 (radius 349.5) would be much closer to the same size (also the same width). I wonder why Toyota didn't go with the closer size tire. Perhaps you can't get a 225 65 R16?
  • Options
    Look like we canucks take over this board :)
    I still think the XLE FWD come as a non-limited trim for Canadian market. The limited pkg is probably an option for the top trim, XLE 4WD, where the HID, laser cruise control, parking assisted sensors, DVD entertainment unit, leather seats, etc., come in.
    Remember the 02 Sienna did come with an XLE nonlimited trim for Canada.
  • Options
    richlavoie posted a link above to some photos at http://www.car-data.com/xpage.preview/pre.template.asp?mfg=toyota- - &model=04sienna

Do either one of you know what the blue color is shown in picture #5. Also, is this the same color as in picture 1-3 also. Seems greenish in one and more blue in the other.

Also, Steve do you know what interior colors are going to be available?

Thanks
  • Options
    Take a look at the specs on www.toyota.ca for the 2003. You get a CE, LE or LE with the "XLE Limited" package. No XLE without the Limited package. The list of features matches exactly the list of features from the 2004 Spec sheet for the XLE model. The 2003 XLE Limited has no HID,parking assist or DVD. I think they are doing something similar with the 2004 for the Canadian market....ie there aren't separate models called "XLE" and "XLE Limited" like there are in the US.
  • Options
    etniesetnies Member Posts: 18
    I was just looking at the Toyota Canada website and I glanced at a 2003 Sienna LE with XLE Limited packege and it costed a whopping $40,000!!! I don't know about you but in my opinion a minivan should only be less than $35,000. Also, I noticed that there is no Land Cruiser in Canada. Today I was at my Toyota dealership and they said that they can definitely install an 8th seat on the XLE Limited if you pay extra money. I was also told that the Passenger Side Seat will have an 8-way power seat available, while the other seat will be a 10-way power seat. Voice-activated Navigation System will be available.
    Hope this answers some questions,
    Etnies.
  • Options
    I spoke to a Toyota dealer, and they do think that the press release would be what we can expect. So according to the press release, the Limited trim would be available for XLE 4WD model only (not FWD) in Canada. One of the omission from the press release is DVD navigation system and rear view camera - so we may not get these.

As for 2003 Sienna, no, the HID is not available for US models either. It has never been a feature of the old model.

Etnies, you do realize those are Canadian dollars? C$40,000 is approx US$26,300

For translation, try http://babelfish.altavista.com/
  • Options
    With no disrespect intended, and at the risk of looking like a fool in the long run, I don't think your dealer knows what he is talking about re the XLE AWD having a Limited package and the XLE FWD not having a Limited package. That makes absolutely no sense.

P.S. now we are going to have a bunch of unhappy Americans when they find out that the car manufacturers sell cars cheaper in Canada than in the US....even ones made south of the border!
  • Options
    canuck13...yes I know that the 03s come with only the XLE Limited (no lower trim XLE), but its the 02s and previous model years that did come with XLE and XLE Limited seperately. I knew it when helping my sister got her 02 XLE Sienna (not the XLE Limited)last year.
    Back to the new Sienna, I tend to agree with lekn that Canadians will get the XLE FWD, XLE 4WD, and XLE 4WD Limited
  • Options
    jenr1jenr1 Member Posts: 17
    Does anyone know if all models will come standard with power sliding doors, if not will it be an option and for which models? Thanks