Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado

Comments

• thenesthenes Member Posts: 9
    The dealership replaced the intermediate steering shaft yesterday and it solved the problem I was having. My brother has a 2001 Tahoe and he thinks he has the same problem. He has 50,000 miles on it though, so it's out of warranty. Since there's a TSB on the problem, will the dealer fix his truck at no charge?
  • rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    Ricsch, Just got off phone w/gmoutlet.com , are you sitting down ? 7yr/100k Major Guard $0 deductable = $3730, $100 deductable = $2967. Like I said GM is not even in the ballpark when it comes to being competative in extended warranty market!

Gator, The warranty gold diamond plan I just purchased for my wife's Y2K Windstar gave me first hand experience last week. There is a 1000m/30 day grace period for (used) warranty effective after purchase date, warranty took effect for me to use as of 10/5, this past wednesday check engine light came on, I had AutoZone scan the code which came up P1518: "Intake Manifold Runner Control Stuck Open" Took it to dealer and $1100 dollar repair covered in full & payed by Company credit card over the phone to the dealer directly. It doesn't get any easier than that! I researched this company before I purchased just for the reasons you noted, they are the best I found, and no hassles to use. The service advisor also stated they were very easy to deal with and once repair is authorized by warranter they pay right over the phone by credit card. This policy is an "exclusionary policy" and their top of the line plan so you know right off what is and is not covered before you purcase the plan.
    This is why I am considering them for my Silverado before my factory plan runs out to get a better deal.

Ray T.
  • rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    States the quotes I got from Warranty Gold Diamond Plan which is the same as GM's Major Guard plan. No brainer who to use on this one.

Ray T.
  • gator36gator36 Member Posts: 294
    Warranty Gold does not offer service in California at this time....
    Interesting.
  • hennehenne Member Posts: 407
    No companies can sell over phone or Internet because of state regulations. There are a few that do and have been cought and fined from what I have been told.

The only way to get these warranties in CA is through a car dealer, and most dont carry them.

Robert
  • crash269crash269 Member Posts: 9
    I have an '02 Z71 and my oil pressure guage has always read about 60psi. Is this the normal operating range for this vehicle or could I possibly have a defective guage?
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    seems about right to me
  • mtrammellmtrammell Member Posts: 125
    Tim,

If you're really interested in pulling power, you should have gone with the Duramax. Even if you add $4k (the additional cost of the Duramax) worth of upgrades to the 6.0 for more power/torque, it still won't even come close to the Duramax.

Mike .T.
    I had a conversation a month or two ago with a
    GM powertrain Engineer. We were diacussing what sounded like a noise due to lack of oil on startup.
    His comments regarding the Oil PSI gauge on the dash were in effect, he would like to see a reading from a manual gauge taken off the oil port. He wasn't very confident in the reading.

I have 2001 Silverado 1500 Z71 and it has always read
    right round 60 psi.

Walter
  • dch0300dch0300 Member Posts: 472
    I replaced the factory 27 watt bulbs in my fog lights last night to the 38 watt Sylvania #893 bulbs ($8 each at Schucks). It took all of about 3 minutes to do.
    It sure made a nice improvement. I notice a big difference now when driving with them on. I'd recommend this improvement to everyone. As long as the fog light housing doesn't begin to melt, which it sounds like it doesn't from others who have done the switch to the #893's.
  • timk49timk49 Member Posts: 5
    Mike
    I know the Duramax is awesome but I get to pump gas from the company tank as part of my compensation package at work. That free gas adds up quick. Thats why I went for the 6.0 engine.
    So is it worth the $200 to put a flowmaster or similar muffler on this truck? to improve HP and sound?
    Tim,
    I hear you on the free gas. I don't think adding an aftermarket exhaust system is going to give you much value if you want more pulling power. It will give you more HP (minimal), but if you go too big, you will lose low end and mid range torque, which is what you really need for towing. If you really want the best towing performance and you get the flowmaster system, I would recommend purchasing a Hypertech PP III to reprogram the PCM for the best torque curve between 0-2500 rpms. You can also use it to adjust the TCM for optimum shift points. The tow/haul mode works pretty good if you're towing in hilly/mountainous terrain.

Other than this, the next step would probably be a blower or turbo mod.

BTW, if the gas is free, why didn't you go for the 8.1L?

Mike .T.
    Mike

I really came close to buying the 8.1 engine but the cost of the 8.1 with the allison trans was more than I could handle. I have a friend who owns a 2500HD with the 8.1 and he reports 8 1/2 MPG around town. I thought I would have a better cruising range with the 6.0. I have checked the fuel usage and am geting about 12.5 with the 6.0 engine. Fully loaded and trailer in tow I averaged 11MPG. Thanks for the info I'll not but the mew exhaust system until I can get the Hypertec PII.
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    I put the 893's in mine last night - (Autozone $7.00 each) I also adjusted the lights so they point up more - they were pointed right at the ground.
  • dch0300dch0300 Member Posts: 472
    And what is your impression of the 893's vs. the stock bulbs?
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    The 37.5W bulb is noticably brighter. I think it will make a big difference on those real dark nights. IMO worth the $14.00.

I may try and upgrade the low beam bulbs next.
    I got the fog light bulbs (38 watt) at meier for $4.79 each
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    meier?
    Its like a target/walmart/grocery store all in one
  • mentor34mentor34 Member Posts: 60
    Any recommendations for a site from which to buy door sill protectors for a 2002 2500HD extended cab???
  • sonjaabsonjaab Member Posts: 1,057
    Try www.ventshade.com
    I have a set on my 01 and a set on my dads
    02 S-10 xcab. Ryans got a set on his rig too.
    Sure saves the paint on the door sills and
    only cost like 20 bucks a set ! Easy install
    and no problems after 2 cold NY winters !...geo
    yep i have em on my truck. Got em at a local shop here for like $19.99

I also bought a set for my moms blazer.
    Do you have Tims email? His one that he has on his site is incorrect. Also i cant post at his site.

Also i changed to the 38W 893 sylvania fog lights. They are noticably brighter :)
  • ricschricsch Member Posts: 540
    Noticed on my new truck that when you start out and reach about 10mph there is a vibration felt throught the gas pedal, but only for a second and it's gone. It only does this once after the truck is started and driven, doesn't happen again unless you shut the truck off and start out again. Haven't tried just having the truck in park or neutral and reving the engine a bit to see if it happens then. Any ideas on what it is? Truck is a '03 with a 5.3. Thanks!
    I've just reformatted the hd, so I'll have to wait till I get in to work for the email addy. Could it be that your ip is banned? LMAO!!

Are the 893's a physically smaller bulb that the stock bulb it replaces?

ricsch

I was about to say congrats on the new truck. However, inlight of what you've posted, I'll reserve that comment. How many miles do you have on it?
    I have about 160 miles on the truck. I never experienced the above-mentioned issue with the accelerator pedal in my previous trucks-'00 & '01 Silverados. Plan on stopping by the local Chevy dealer to see what they say.
  • mledtjemledtje Member Posts: 1,123
    Are the same size and shape as the standard bulbs.

Mike L
    Could it be that your ip is banned? LMAO!!

Maybe i wouldnt put it past him.

Are the 893's a physically smaller bulb that the stock bulb it replaces?

I didnt notice any differences between the 2
    He guys I've decided to drive the truck as is for now. I'm towing the trailer (17' Komfort out to the desert this weekend. When the stock tires are gone what size do you recommend to mount on the stock polished aluminum rims. I like the looks of the BFG's I need some traction for the rough and sandy trails I travel. I dont want to go to agressive on the tread because of the noise on paved roads and I drive most of my miles on paved roads. Are 285's to big or should I go with 265's Thanks for the responses to my questions you guys know a lot.
    Stopped at the local Chevy dealer to see about the vibration in the accelerator pedal at 10mph, and their response was that GM just had notified the dealers that on '03 1500 series Silverado and Sierra trucks(not sure if it includes HD's) they use a different brake booster, and that at the first time the vehicle reaches 10mph after start-up, this "vibe" may be felt through the accelerator pedal. Anyone with a '03 1500 notice this too?
    Cause the bulb I replaced with the 893 was almost 1.5 times the size of the 893.

BTW, just lost the '00 Denali to GMAC's Pull Ahead program. Picked up a black '02 to replace it. Was looking at the '03's but all of them had the DVD at $1295 which I really didn't want.
    "Was looking at the '03's but all of them had the DVD at $1295 which I really didn't want. "

Must be nice to live in paradise

Obyone you wanna adopt me?
  • mledtjemledtje Member Posts: 1,123
    Oby, your experience might lead us to believe not all bulbs are created equal.

The one's I replaced were exactly the same as the 893's. I had to read the number on the bulb to determine which was which. In the store, the 27W, 38W and 50W bulbs were identical except the markings and the filaments.

Mike L
    285's do fit well. Alot of people have gone with the BFG's and like them. I have had a couple of sets on my trucks int he past and think they are excellent tires. I currently have a set of Yokohama Geolander AT's 285/75/16 on my 2001 silverado z71 and so far they have been better than the BFG's.
    Compared to the BFG's they have more stick in the rain. They have a more aggressive trad pattern than the AT's and work well in both snow as well as dirt and sand. At 35,000 miles and counting they have worn well. I estimate that I still have about 7k left on them.

Check out the reveiws on tirerack.com

Walter (Gator)
    Hi Tim,

Yeah, it's me again. If you want a wider tire and you're concerned with towing, make sure you keep the tire diameter the same. As the diameter increases, your available torque decreases. Increasing the diameter of the tire effectively takes your 4:10 rear end and changes it it to a lower ratio.

Don't know about the 03` models, but the 02` models came with 245/75-16s. If that is what you are currently running, you will need a 265/70-16 or a 285/65-16 to maintain the same approximate diameter. The two larger replacement sizes are actually .1" taller, (30.6" vs 30.5").

Mike .T.
  • scmelvinscmelvin Member Posts: 5
    Am not sure if this is the correct place for this question....am considering purchasing a 95 Silverado 3500, ext cab, long bed, diesel engine, 127,000 miles, dually to use to haul a horse trailer. My mechanic has not yet had a chance to look it over for me. Anything I need to be warned about on this year/model, etc.? This will be used only for hauling the trailer short distances from our boarding facility; will not be used on a daily basis. Asking price is $11,900, but am waiting for my mechanic to let me know if he thinks this is a fair price. According to this site, it is a little high. Any info will be much appreciated.

from SCMelvin
  • whatsachevywhatsachevy Member Posts: 136
    I have 285/75/16 Cooper STT's (mudders) on my '01 2500HD Ext. Cab 4x4 6.0/4.10. I wouldn't say they fit real well, but they will work. These are basically 33" tires. I cranked the torsion bars up 4 turns (approx. 3/4") and had to trim the plastic inner fender well guards for the front tires (front of guards - both sides). I still get a slight rub on the rear of the driver's side guard when turning hard left, but it would require rerouting the emergency brake cable to correct and it isn't bad enough to worry about. I run 52 psi in the front and 50 psi in the back. No problems with clearance in the back. Excellent off-road traction, particularly in mud. They are fairly loud on the highway. I did notice a slight loss in power from the stock 245's, but the 6.0 still has plenty of power to clean the cleats. Perhaps A/T's in 285/75/16 don't have quite as much clearance problems due to the less aggressive tread (no knobbies on edge of tire). So far, I would buy these tires again. I had BFG mudders on my '91 Ford. Coopers seem to be just as good and are $50 per tire cheaper.
    my 285/75/16's are not on the stock rims. I replaced them with 16x8 American Racing Tyrant wheels.
    Hi All,
    Gosh I didn't expect to get so much feedback on a tire question. You people are awesome. I've got a lot to consider. I do want to keep the torque for towing the travel trailer up the mountain grades. Do you think going a little taller will make a noticable difference Mike?
    Well thanks Mike and Mel. Have a good oneBy the way I live in Southern California. My tires dont see many rain slick roads although it has been lightly raining for the last two days. The truck came equipped with Firestone Steeltex Radial AT 245/75/16. Those tires just don't look like they will with stand the beating they will get on the desert trails.
    Thanks again for the help
    Tim K
  • minikinminikin Member Posts: 389
    From all I've been able to gather, 285's shouldn't rub; especially with the bars cranked up. Different offset with the AR wheels? Or same offset with just that extra 3/4" outbard off the centerline?
    -- Don
    I can tell you that the 285's do rub without a little trimming (even with the torsion bars cranked up 4 turns). I have read of others with 285's that don't rub. It is probably exactly what you mention (additional 3/4" on each side of center with the 8" rims compared to the stock 6.5" rims). Offset on my AR rims is the same as the stock rims (brake linings won't allow much variance). Also, the more aggressive tread design of a mud-tire may stick out a little more on the side as compared to an all-terrain or less aggressive tread pattern.

I like the truck a lot better with the bigger tires. Other than the looks, the taller tires give more ground clearance (and it still fits in the garage). There is a little sacrifice with the lower end torque. By my calculations, the 33"+ tall 285's compared to the 30"+ 245's probably make the 4.10 rear gear pull more like a 3.73. However, the 6.0 still has plenty of power to clean the mud out of the cleats.

Next mod: dual exhausts, followed closely by a Hypertech III.
  • crash269crash269 Member Posts: 9
    Do any of you know how 285's fit on a half ton? I'm guessing the 3/4 ton has a little more clearance. On my '02 Z71, the stockers are 265's, but I was looking to move to the 285's shortly as I still have stock pizza cutters on. I wasn't planning on going with mudder's as you all have seemed to place on yours...probably more like an A/T...BFG or Yokohama Geolander. I haven't been able to find anybody that had tried it out on a half ton without a lift.
    GO here

http://www.webphotos.com/list_photos.asp?mi=3&smi=1&a=38583

Ton of pics with my tire pics

I have an 00 Z71

Over 22K miles on the tires

there are a few pics of the stock firestones

Turns my stomach everytime i see em
  • shamptonshampton Member Posts: 53
    Guys, just traded in my '00 1/2 ton Ext Cab LS for an '03 2500HD yesterday. I'm looking for any recommendations from those that have put snow plows on this truck. I will be doing some very light commercial plowing and family/friends driveways. No need for a pro-plow at this point, but would appreciate any ideas / recommendations.

I can only hope I have as much good fortune with this new truck as I had with my last one. Must say that in 3 years of ownership, I can count on 1 hand the number of times I had to call / take the truck in for any issues....wish me luck!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Bill in Buffalo
    you need them?
    Waiting for snow of course !......lol
    There are many brands of plows out there. I
    guess it depends on which plow dealer is closer
    to you if it breaks ! I have had excellent
    luck with western plows. My last one I had
    on 4 trucks and 10 hard NY winters ......
    Sold it to my bud and hes still working it.
    I currently have a 8 ft .western ultramount
    a paid $2800 last year. Fisher was like $3600
    Check out www.plowsite.com
    Lots of plowheads to help ya out !....geo
    Tim,

Depends on what you mean by a "little." If you go with tire sizes I indicated, 1 tenth of an inch isn't going to make a difference. But, if you go with the 33" tires like Martin is running, you will definitely notice the difference, especially when pulling a load.

Also keep in mind that you will have to reprogram the TCM (to re-calibrate the speedo) when you change tire diameter.

Mike .T.
This discussion has been closed.