Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Accord Coupe

Comments

• Options
    anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    I am a 23 year old female and have a 03 coupe. The Accords I have seen here are driven by various ages and I have seen an equal amount driven by men and women. It doesn't seem that in this area there is a specific demographic that makes up the majority of Accord drivers. Same goes for the Civic. But in an era where they have a Hummer commercial showing a woman driver, it's hard to define what a "chick" car is.(the Beetle being the exception).
  • Options
    carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    I saw a young guy drving an 03 Accord Coupe and I really don't view him as driving a chick car. I don't think the Accord Coupe is a chick car at all.
  • Options
    mikek37mikek37 Member Posts: 411
    The coupe is a nice car. But in my opinion it is a chick car, not to the degree of the bettle, but more in the area of the solora.
  • Options
    bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
    Today I got my first look at the latest Accord coupe and all I could say is wow! What a gorgous car! I was reading the details on this car here in Edmunds and the only downside I can see, unless I'm misunderstanding something, is that you can't get it with cloth interior. I absolutely hate leather interior! I know, now days they have heated seats, and leather is supposed to add class and all, but even so, I prefer cloth to leather. I think it's mistake for any car maker not to offer both leather and cloth interiors for any vehicle model. To offer only is limiting the consumer's choices and it's wrong! BTW, how's the 240 hp V-6 run. Is it fast?
  • Options
    cstilescstiles Member Posts: 465
    Cloth is definitely available in the Accord coupe, but more so with the 4 cylinder vs. 6 cylinder model. The LX trim has cloth. But you are correct that the majority of the EX trim comes with leather, and all EX/V6 models have leather.

The 6spd V6 does 0-60 in about 6.5 seconds; about a second more with a slushbox. There is a touch of torque steer with the manual, but remarkably little given this much HP and torque on a fwd car. Nothing like a Saab or Maxima.
  • Options
    Can't get cloth with a 6 speed manual. Honda needs to offer the 6M in the LX model.
  • Options
    sphinx99sphinx99 Member Posts: 776
    Is the 6-speed difficult to launch? My saleswoman was complaining (literally complaining) to me a little while ago about how she couldn't launch the 6-speed V6 without chirping the tires, that 1st was too steep and the car felt like it had too much power off the line. (This coming from a woman who's owned a S2000 and sold me a S2000 and a Prelude SH.) I was a bit surprised by the comments. Any feedback from owners on how the 6MT fares in stop-and-go rush-hour traffic? Reasonably smooth to launch, or jerky?
  • Options
    highinteresthighinterest Member Posts: 2
    this is not a chick car, i am a guy and just bought the '03 LX model...it drives great and looks nice...i like the fact that i rarely see any of 'em down here

tell those guys that ride around in vw beetles and those bmw roadsters that they are drivin chick cars

if you like the car buy it and don't worry about what the "demographic" is
  • Options
    redkey1redkey1 Member Posts: 270
    I saw a new coupe this am on the road and it looks like there is a cutout on the left side of the bumper for adding a dual exhaust (like the 6cyl). Can anyone verify this? Any idea how difficult / costly it would be to add dual exhaust to the coupe?
  • Options
    emaleemale Member Posts: 1,380
    the '03 v6 coupe doesn't have true dual exhaust. the main exhaust pipe splits in two just behind the rear suspension...but i do like the twin tailpipes...:)
  • Options
    I hate it when they do that, it just seems chincy when they try to make what's actually single exhust, appear to be dual exhaust. For as much as this car costs, it should have true duals.
  • Options
    himilerhimiler Member Posts: 1,209
    Adding a second muffler just for the sake of fashion only makes the car more expensive to maintain in the long run.
  • Options
    redkey1redkey1 Member Posts: 270
    can you explain?
  • Options
    Having two mufflers instead of just one roughly doubles the expense of replacing the exhaust system over the life of the car.

Twin muffler set-ups look and sound nice, but don't offer a real performance boost over a good single muffler system (like a real dual exhaust can).
  • Options
    mitchfloridamitchflorida Member Posts: 420
    for looks only????

doesn't sound like the Honda motor company I know.

is this true>

those pipes are #$^&(( ugly. don't need two of them for no reason.
  • Options
    Yup. Unless you have two separate exhaust systems from the manifold on back, there's no real advantage (other than style) to having two mufflers out back.

Though it sure looks sporty, doesn't it? ;^)

Even if you bought a V6 model with the twin muffler set-up, you could alway go aftermarket with a large-diameter pipe and single-muffler system that would actually gain you some performance.
  • Options
    gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    Nearly (and look at the word nearly) all modern cars with duals exhausts are only y-joint duals, not the real thing.
  • Options
    own4hown4h Member Posts: 20
    Several comments from owner of 1.5 months.
    Coupes and age.
    Coupes are not practical for carrying babies or small children. Hense, more appeal to singles(any age) or couples with no children(any age).
    Most coupes are small, like Civic, RSX, Interga, Prelude, Celica etc. The Accord and Solara are mid sized coupes with headroom, comfortable front seating, usable rear seats which fold down and a trunk. Older people seem to like the room, but so do active people and tall people.
    Coupes and sex.
    I haven't tried it yet. As to styling, my car seems to be universally liked by males and females, both youth(16 -22) and middle aged.
    MT6 driving.
    The manual takes some getting used to, thats for sure. But after a while you can consistently launch fast or slow. First is steep, as expected. Second, is also steep, and it is easy to hit rev limiter. From third on it pulls hard, but shifts are smooth and your in gear longer. The shift action is short, but both the clutch and shifter are tight until broken in, so they likely will not feel right if you push them too early.
    V6 The car can be driven like a commuter, but its real personality comes out when you drive hard. It is comfortable doing either, but if your not likely to push it often, the 2.4 i4 has plenty of freeway power and would likely be more than enough for most drivers.
    Common If the Accord coupe was called a Prelude, it would be considered rare and different and you would here all that 400,000+ per year common crap.
    The 6 and 7 generation coupes both have different styling from their sedan counterparts, and definately stand out. The interior pretty much the same (different seats).The engine and drivetrains are shared, so you get the best of both worlds (exception MT6 only on coupe)
    Buy or not?
    Accord are not cheap, but they are not expensive either. The packages give good value, and are prebundled with trim levels that a lot of people complain about because options you always want something in one package, but don't want (or want to pay for) another. Conversly, when you sell prebundled increases resale value. My previous Accords have been cheap to operate, and have aged well and retained their value. The 2003 are the best Accords ever.
  • Options
    ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    .....what sort of fuel efficiency have you logged so far? Have you broken thru the 30MPG barrier for highway use?

Again, nice revue......ez
  • Options
    crestone1crestone1 Member Posts: 2
    The dealers that I have contacted in my area regarding the EX V6 6MT models, only have been allocated the above model in the silver or black color. Has anyone seen this model in the Noble Green Pearl color? Plus one dealer told me he thought he saw a memo that indicated that the Noble Green Pearl was being discontinued for all models. Any truth to this? I would appreciate anyone's input and/or any dealers monitoring this site. Thanks.
  • Options
    maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    I really like that color too, especially on the previous generation Honda Accord (It was only available for MY 2002, they used Dark Emerald Pearl even after the facelifted Accord)

Also, unfortunately, the Noble Green color will be dropped after this year. For 2004 Deep Green Pearl will be introduced. I am not sure how it will look, but I am sure it will be a dark green.

What Honda needs is a nice plum color, like the old Dark Currant Pearl from the 1998-1999 Honda Accord EX and EXV6 models. I LOVED that color.

As I mentioned about two weeks ago, the new Accord will see many safety changes as well.

The Side curtain airbags will be standard on ALL V6 models...LXV6 or EXV6. They will also be standard on EX with Leather models, while they will be optional on regular EX with cloth models. Seems to me that it will make it easier for me to pick an EX with Leather over the regular EX. Side curtain airbags should AT least be available for the LXI4 as well.
  • Options
    I've owned my 6spd for almost 3 mos now...have logged just short of 3,000 miles. I've driven manuals my entire life, and this car took a couple of days to get used to, but now I have no problem with a smooth or quick launch. I traded in a '99 Si that had a very smooth/soft/intuitive clutch that was well-matched to the I4. The Accord V6 clutch has more resistance, but after a couple days you get used to it fine. This car has just about the maximum HP and torque that a front wheel drive car can manage, and you can easily launch it in 2nd gear. In 1st, the launch can send your tires chirping if you allow the revs to pass the 4000 rpm range. There is also occasional wheel hop with the chirp. In my opinion, part of the problem can be attributed to the Michelin Pilot MXMs. The stock Michelins on my Si were crap, also. I've owned various Honda's over the years, and IMO, they are usually under-tired. Honda chassis and double wishbones can be matched to better-handling tires, but that's not what the typical Honda owner emphasizes or is willing to pay for, so you get what the masses want. I will be switching to summer directional tires to see how things improve.
  • Options
    ral2167ral2167 Member Posts: 791
    i don't care for coupe colors-- same old same old-- 2 shades of black, 2 shades of silver, white--

they need the nice gold for the sedan, or light/medium blue.... am i nuts?
  • Options
    jrp6977jrp6977 Member Posts: 87
    I agree. I think, as someone stated earlier, it would be nice to get a dark plum color back as in '98 adn '99. I would also like to see a metallic red like the sedans Redondo red replace the San Marino red that has been offered on coupes for many years. I would also like to see a gray interior and more flexibility in what interior can be had with each color. For instance a gray or black interior would be nice with red or green, but is not offered. You can only get tan with those colors.
  • Options
    downtownsddowntownsd Member Posts: 2
    Is there any good reason as to why I should wait for the 2004 Accord EX V6 6-speed in satin silver, or should I just go ahead and get the 2003 model?

Because I should be ready to finance when the 2004's are begginning to show ( according to my local dealer the 2004's should be arriving sometime october - november)
  • Options
    crestone1crestone1 Member Posts: 2
    Maxamillion1 thanks for the info on the Noble Green. Just curious what is your source of information for the Honda Accord Coupe? Do you work at a dealership? Are you accessing another web site with this info? Do you have a web site where I can view the Dark Green Pearl color? Any new changes on the 2004 Accord Coupe such as the steering wheel controls lit? Are they planning on increasing the 2004 production of the EX V6 6MT? Thanks
  • Options
    but unfortunately, I don't.

I got my info from two different sources.

I saw it first at collegehillshonda.com under the future models guide.

College Hills Honda is ALWAYS right about info they put on their website.

I saw it a second time @ caranddriver.com under forums. I think the topic was "Hondas changes for 2004" I am not sure though.

Also, I know from the caranddriver.com website that the Accord V6 6spd will still not be available in the new Deep Green. As a matter of fact, the ONLY Accord coupe that will be in Deep Green will be the EXV6 5spd. automatic. LX and EX models will do without the color.

Other than the additonal side airbags on certain models and the new Deep Green Pearl, there are no other scheduled changes.

I have no idea about 2004 6spd manual coupe production.

They are already selling them at invoice in my area. I wish I wasn't buying my house. Now I will not be getting a new car until about the age of 21. I had my hopes set on getting a car since the new Maxima debuted back in 2000. I think buying the house is my important.
  • Options
    I was driving to my cousin's house today, and low and behold. I saw a brand new Accord Coupe EXV6 6spd. in San Marino Red. Boy was it BEAUTIFUL. I like the sedan, but I LOVE the new coupe. I really want to get one later on. Maybe I will get a used one in a couple of years. I sure hope I get either San Marino Red or Sapphire Blue. Black and Silver or too boring IMO. I could deal with Taffeta White though.

I think the coupe needs more colors. Graphite Pearl would look good on the new Accord EXV6 6spd.

Right now I will just have to dream about a new coupe while I drive around in my good ole 1991 Honda Accord EX.
  • Options
    kungfumleekungfumlee Member Posts: 1
    hi everybody...some good info on this forum. i was just wondering how come i see two different version of the taillights. the middle band is white on some and pink on the others. thanks so much.
  • Options
    mojavemaxmojavemax Member Posts: 7
    Went out test driving last week. Drove a V6 Accord Coupe (auto) and a Passat 1.8T (auto) - checking to see what 22K would buy. Came away stunned (speechless) by the Accord and equally stunned by the Passat - except the Passat stunned me by making me wonder why all the hoopla over the A4/Passat? Marketing hype does wonders is all I can say. Accord Coupe all but matched the Passat in handling and suspension (will give a slight edge to the Passat) but comfort, ergonomics, refined drivetrain (why VW even offers that antiquated 1.8T with that schizoid tiptronic automatic is a true mystery) and sheer horsepower, nevermind reliablity, go to Honda. Maybe there's an autobahn poser status that comes with the A4/Passat - but I'll pass.
    I admit to bias because of a 12 year 100% hassle free love affair with a white 87 Accord 5 speed Coupe/Hatch - but even so, the new Accord Coupe is amazing.
    Yesterday, I happened to run into a Honda test driver. We talked about the new Accords - I asked about the noticeable handling improvements - and reports of understeer I'd seen - he'd driven all the flavors - he said the sedan 'tended to fall apart' in the 'windy road' on the Honda test track (series of 25 mph hairpins) but the coupe easily pushed through at 55 mph no problem.
    So, do I want Sapphire or Graphite...?
  • Options
    I like them both. But I say get Sapphire. Graphite Pearl is far more common to me.
  • Options
    The Accord's handling limitations can be traced to the stock tires. The Michelin MXV4 tires on the sedan are designed to provide good gas mileage and all season tread life, but they also result in sloppy handling in the corners. The coupes have better rubber...especially the 6spd coupe, although they could still be so much better. Swap out the stock tires for Dunlop SP Sports, Yokohamas AVS, PIrelli P6000s, etc. and the handling would improve dramatically.

In addition to the Accord coupe, I have an Audi A4 3.0 Quattro, and although the A4 is a very sweet car (especially with the all wheel drive and V6 instead of the 1.8T), I agree with you that the Accord is a much better value overall.
  • Options
    I'm out of the loop on which brands/models have the edge these days. Inexpensive (eg, versus 17" rims & sway mods - things among others the Honda test driver I talked to has done to his Civic - guy is 62 years old btw - stick that in your demographics and smoke it, eh?) way to get marked improvement.
    Didn't mean to bash your A4. Sorry if I offended. I was a bit harsh/anti-German above (again long-held bias from a bought new '77 Rabbit nickle and diming me to death in my college days). I'm sure with the AWD and V6 the A4 is a benchmark sports sedan and a very luxurious beast - albeit in another price class altogether.
  • Options
    Wonder about the lack of any side moldings on the 03 Accord Coupe. All that smooth flat sheetmetal looks like it's just begging for trouble.
    You coupe owners getting significant dings and dents?
    First ding is always such a near fatal MI for me..
  • Options
    we purchased the accessory molding. No dings so far. Actually we got nearly every accessory in the book.
  • Options
    I don't know about the new ones, but the previous model was a door ding magnet. I am very careful about where I park mine and I still have two that magically appeared. Just look around at all the previous Accord coupes and they all seem to have at least one. Fortunately, there are people out there who can take those dents out without having to repaint the surface.
    I sure wish Honda would put a goodlooking standard molding on the coupes so that that dings would not be such a problem. It would also break up the monotony of those doors on the new coupe.
  • Options
    Yes, the last two Accord models have been ding magnets. So far no dings on my coupe, but I know it's just a matter of time! I had a paintless repair guy take out several small door dings on a 99 Accord, and it's amazing what they can do. If they can get behind the dent to tap it out, you can't even tell it was there.
  • Options
    carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    The 96 Accord's had body moldings I know they do because I see one at work everday. My 02 CL doesn't have them. Why not? As for the door dings I do have a few scratches. I didn't have a few scratches on my 1998 626. Honda needs to start putting body molding's on their cars again.
  • Options
    As I'm considering the V6 Accord coupe for our 'second' car I'm wondering if saving a few grand and buying the 4 banger might be OK. Up to this point my nod to controlled cash flow was going to be buying the LX V6 versus EX V6. Anybody else go through the 4 cyl vs 6 cyl decision? Besides 0-60 times, what are the significant real world differences between the two? What are the benefits of the 4 over the 6?
    I will go test a 4, but would appreciate your (owners') thoughts...
    fwiw my current car is a 97 V6 Camry; last Accord was an 87 Hatchback (Man-4).

tia!
  • Options
    plethysmoplethysmo Member Posts: 42
    I planned to buy a 2003 4cyl coupe but bought the V6 in order to get the 8-way seat without a moonroof, which uses 2 inches of headroom. Found out the seat is uncomfortable, but love the V6.
    It has averaged 27.9 mpg for the first 5 tanks of gas. Probably only 3-4 mpg less than a 4cyl.
    I like the V6 for ease of changing into a faster moving lane of traffic; getting up to the speed in the new lane without slowing someone down, and moving into these spaces before they can close.
  • Options
    mikek37mikek37 Member Posts: 411
    The 4 Cyclinder may be quite peppy, but when you have the trunk full, and are hauling 4 people with the ac full blast, thats when the advantages of the V6 come into play, I agree with the previous post ( Merging into lanes ), Merging into traffic, and avoiding situations is a plus, also the gas mileage is pretty darn good for the class. If you have the extra cash, get the 6 you wont be disappointed at all!

Oh and resale is a little better too!

40 % city and 60% highway( short trip of 6 miles) gets about 23 miles to the gallon.

Where as the long trips I can return as much as 32 mpg's which is very nice for the wallet.
  • Options
    ral2167ral2167 Member Posts: 791
    back in 2001 i opted for the v6 coupe over the 4 cylinder coupe mainly because the 6 cylinder came in a color i liked that wasn't offered on the 4 cylinder (naples gold)....

looking at the 2003's (and probably the 2004's), the honda coupe color choices in both 4 and 6 are terrible.... black, silver, white, and red... and the red isn't metallic i don't think... am i nuts?
  • Options
    s852s852 Member Posts: 1,051
    Unless you make the sides of the car a gigantic body molding, they just give you a false sense of security. The moldings often do not line up with the car that parks next to you. They are either too low or too high at some point.
    If you really don't want dings, you cannot park close to other vehicles.
  • Options
    ral2167-Yes, the red, unfortunatley, is not metallic, and is the same color that has been used since at least 1998. While its nice, I think they should replace it with the metallic Redondo Red offered on the sedan. I wonder if anyone in Honda ever moniters these posts?
    s852-I agree with you to some extent about the moldings. If a SUV or truck parks next to you, the door will be higer than the molding. But, they so provide some protection, which is better than nothing. And, in the case of the '03 coupe, they would break up the monotany of the doors and give them a less "flabby" look. To me, that is one of the biggest problems with the looks of this car. Of course, the best thing is to still park away from other cars. I tend to do this, but usually some idiot in a junker of some kind ends up parking next to me.
  • Options
    It's an accessory. Pretty cheap too.
  • Options
    I know they offer one, but IMHO it doesn't look that great. I would like to see one that is designed into the lines of the car, not just tacked on.
  • Options
    own4hown4h Member Posts: 20
    I have a i4 sedan and a V6 coupe, so I can help you make up your mind.
    Milage in city is 4 mpg better for i4, but only 2 on highway.
    My i4 standard is almost as powerful 0-60 as the old V6 auto. The new V6 has more power but I would rate the i4 adequate loaded up and on the freeway at 80 mph, but the V6 has better top end and passing gear.
    I like the EX-L because I like leather seats, sunroof and alloy 16" wheels, I think it is worth the difference.
    The i4 is better balanced handling wise because it is lighter.
    Any other concerns?
  • Options
    demars581demars581 Member Posts: 16
    I have an Accord Coupe EX-L with about 7,200 miles on the car. So far it is has been a great car...much better than my previous car, an Olds Alero. I have had only one problem develop to date, the shinny black rubber/plastic like material below the window (where the chrome strip would run on the sedan) has begun to wrinkle. Has anyone else experienced this problem?
  • Options
    highinteresthighinterest Member Posts: 2
    i bought an lx cpe. last month and noticed the black stripping under the window is wrinkled...it's probably about a 4-5" section on the driver side door kinda looks like a stretched out garbage bag...i took it to the dealer they told me they had to order the part, so hopefully i'll have it fixed in a week or so...i think its a defect...also they'll have to fix the damn rattling noise that i'm getting also...
  • Options
    driver79driver79 Member Posts: 2
    I am an '03 Coupe 4-cyl owner, and am looking to possibly make some after-market modifications... Any recommendations for adding a little HP and a customized look?

I'm looking at suggestions for exhausts, performance tires, etc...

Also, can you add the aero kit that they offer for the V6 models, after purchase?