Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

I spotted an (insert obscure car name here) classic car today!

Comments

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Couple of "art" cars tonight downtown. Red MG and red '51 Jag. Forgot my camera. :'(

Oh, and a 36" commuter unicycle chained up.
  • Options
    andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,392
    That is one massively cool Alfa, probably a ca. 1937 8C 2900 or 2300. I can't believe we're talking about Chevettes and 1930's Alfas at the same time.

Now repeat after me "there is NO SUCH THING as a cool Chevette". That 427 would probably tear the car apart the first time it was floored. The rental Chvette I drove back in the day had the strucktural integrity of a balsa wood outhouse.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• Options
    stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    jwm40517 said:

I have never tried to post a link to something, not sure how to. I saw an ebay listing #331330068884 that is worth a look. It is a completely original looking 78 Chevette with an aluminum head 427 big block Chevy and a narrowed 12 bolt Chevy rear. It does not have huge tires and is a true "sleeper". Looks like a complete original, you would have to raise hood or crawl under it to see modifications.

I didn't think the Chevette came with a large V8? That was the Chevy entry level car. I realize a lot of folks modified the car by swapping in a V8, there are numerous sites about that... But this isn't "original".
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,175
    Per the info I can find from the show a few years ago, it's a 2900. And driven on a city street, in busy afternoon traffic.

Chevettes aren't cool as driving machines, but they can have value, to appreciate what we have now. And some seemed to last a long time, I remember someone calling them "mechanical cockroaches" along with K-cars.
    andys120 said:

That is one massively cool Alfa, probably a ca. 1937 8C 2900 or 2300. I can't believe we're talking about Chevettes and 1930's Alfas at the same time.

Now repeat after me "there is NO SUCH THING as a cool Chevette". That 427 would probably tear the car apart the first time it was floored. The rental Chvette I drove back in the day had the strucktural integrity of a balsa wood outhouse.

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,366
    andys120 said:

In the early '80s I had the terrible misfortune of having to drive a friend's Chevette on a 200 mile round trip(the only redeeming factor was that said friend looked, dressed, and acted like a short haired version of Sofía Vergara). At the time I owned a Cub 154 tractor and I ranked the tractor superior with regard to engineering sophistication plus it had the additional advantage of being able to mow grass...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,690
    A few years back, I saw sort of the Mopar equivalent of that Chevette... a Dodge Colt with a 440 big block under the hood! I forget what year Colt it was, but it was a hardtop coupe model. Probably around a '75 I'd guess, from looking at online pics...

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,343
    An acquaintance of mine races in the LeMons series (lemons...get it?). The cars have to sourced for some ridiculously low amount to qualify (under $1000?). After that, you can repair and add safety equipment.

He races a Chevette Diesel. Yes, they are the slowest car on the track. But, it is endurance racing. The car never breaks down and fuel stops are very few. While others are in the pits, they just keep lapping and lapping.. Almost always finishing top 5, and often winning.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    kyfdx said:

Almost always finishing top 5, and often winning.

Is that the zero budget racing chevette? Please define "often winning." :p

A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
  • Options
    A few people have put V8s in those little hardtops, I swear I have seen one too. With the paper thin sheetmetal of Japanese cars from that period, I would worry how the structure could handle the engine. You'd need a lot of reinforcing.
    andre1969 said:

A few years back, I saw sort of the Mopar equivalent of that Chevette... a Dodge Colt with a 440 big block under the hood! I forget what year Colt it was, but it was a hardtop coupe model. Probably around a '75 I'd guess, from looking at online pics...

• Options
    bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,473
    I once long ago saw an ad that said "Austin-Healey Sprite. Corvette 427 engine. Good street machine. ". I never did find out if it was a joke, I can't even imagine being able to get it in there, but it brings up interesting visions.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

• Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    When I was a kid growing up in the Chicago area there was a dealer, Mr. Norm's Grand Spalding Dodge, in the city stuffing Hemi's and 440 Wedges into Darts. They were so proficient that Chrysler actually hired them on as consultants. American ingenuity!!!
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Here's a batch of pics from the fall swap meet in Carlisle, PA yesterday...

smg.photobucket.com/user/jgandrew/library/Carlisle%20PA%20car%20shows/Fall%20Carlisle/Fall%20Carlisle%202014?sort=2&page=1

Seemed like there were fewer cars for sale than in previous years, but still a good turnout, and some nice variety.

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    some weird stuff. a Lexus IS? Multiple mid-90s roadmasters? Though I did like the Volvo PV.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    Cool, a 60 Country Sedan. Looks like one I saw locally when my dad had his. 21K is big money.

That W123 is a nice color, looks like "China Blue", an updated version of the fintail's color. The Isuzu next to it is a real rarity these days, too.

Here's a batch of pics from the fall swap meet in Carlisle, PA yesterday..

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,096
    The '69 300 convertible looked interesting, as did the '57 Lincoln hardtop.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    Just out of curiosity, would a '79 Malibu with a 305 be a somewhat rare car? IIRC, that year the 305 was only offered in the Malibu with a 4-bbl, as they were starting to work in the 4.4/267 as a lesser V-8, and trying to phase out the 305-2bbl. From some specs I've seen, the 305-4bbl had 160 hp in '79. Almost a musclecar by late 70's standards! Anyway, the brown '79 Malibu coupe in my photo gallery was advertised as having a 305. However, I couldn't see the VIN, and it was locked so I couldn't pop the hood.
  • Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,711
    andre1969 said:

Just out of curiosity, would a '79 Malibu with a 305 be a somewhat rare car?

This is like the Pope asking me a question about the Psalms...Andre, you're our 'go-to' guy on this stuff! :D
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I can tell you that of all the '79 Malibu models the "classic Landau" was the rarest by far. So I suspect if you could find a Classic Landau with a 305/v8, you would have a very rare car that would translate into zero additional value. :)

texases said:

andre1969 said:

Just out of curiosity, would a '79 Malibu with a 305 be a somewhat rare car?

This is like the Pope asking me a question about the Psalms...Andre, you're our 'go-to' guy on this stuff! :D
  • Options
    bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,473
    andre1969 said:

smg.photobucket.com/user/jgandrew/library/Carlisle%20PA%20car%20shows/Fall%20Carlisle/Fall%20Carlisle%202014?sort=2&page=1

Seemed like there were fewer cars for sale than in previous years, but still a good turnout, and some nice variety.

If anyone's interested (or even if they're not) the gold, or Champagne in MB-speak, W126 on page 3 is the cosmetic twin of my venerable 380SE. Except for the wheels.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,155
    andre1969 said:

Thanks for the pictures. I always enjoy looking through those.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    bhill2 said:

If anyone's interested (or even if they're not) the gold, or Champagne in MB-speak, W126 on page 3 is the cosmetic twin of my venerable 380SE. Except for the wheels.

That was a pretty nice car, in person. It had something like 250,000 miles on it, but you wouldn't know it to look at it. The engine, however, had been replaced, around 160-165,000 miles. Another guy was looking at the car at the same time as us, struck up a conversation, and he says that the timing chain is a weak spot, and when it goes, it snaps without warning, rather than simply stretch out like some chains tended to. He guessed that was the reason this one had a replaced engine, but, who knows? The seller wasn't around to answer questions or give details.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    I hit a lot of car shows and cruise-ins during a year within a 50 mile radius. I have not seen an 88 Olds this nice as an example of what they actually looked like in 1958. Typical colors. 2-dr hardtop. I've seen a few 98's IIRC, very few; 88's are rare here in the rust belt.

It has standard wheel covers and NO continental kit added. This is not my picture; it's by a person who photographs and posts each show that he attends as well as listing upcoming shows over a large area.

http://countrycruiser.com/2014/monroe/028.jpg

• Options
    I never was a fan of the '58 Olds, mainly because I thought they were an odd mixture of boxy and rounded styles, and it was just overdone in general. And, I tend to seem them in red. And with the aforementioned continental kit! But, in a toned down color, like that light blue, it's not a bad looking car.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Another car I consider rare here is the Dodge Coronet. The colors are reversed from what I usually saw with the hood and lower body a strong color and the fins in white with the roof. This was a striking color pattern back then.

Note the unusual double air intake tubes to the front grill area.

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k110/imidazol97/DSC00341_zps78b55844.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k110/imidazol97/DSC00342_zpsce7c3b46.jpg

• Options
    hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    "This is like the Pope asking me a question about the Psalms."

Good one!

• Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,735
    On my way to work this morning, a bright white Fisker Karma! An imposing, handsome beast. Maybe Caddy shoulda made this the ELR...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    Something unusual about that W126 - it appears to be a US model, but is sitting on Euro spec hubcaps.
    andre1969 said:

< The seller wasn't around to answer questions or give details.

• Options
    fintail said:

Something unusual about that W126 - it appears to be a US model, but is sitting on Euro spec hubcaps. The 126 was never sold as a US model with hubcaps.

andre1969 said:

< The seller wasn't around to answer questions or give details.

• Options
    lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    edited October 2014
    andre1969 said:

We saw this one at the Fall Carlisle meet this past Saturday. I believe it's a 1978 model.

• Options
    Here's an obscure one. When's the last time you've seen one of these?

• Options
    Live? Many years. Wonder what year that Impulse is?

• Options
    stickguy said:

Live? Many years. Wonder what year that Impulse is?

I believe it's a 1985 model.
  • Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,711
    That Impulse is one of the best looking Japanese cars of the '80s. Giugiaro styles it, right?
  • Options
    texases said:

That Impulse is one of the best looking Japanese cars of the '80s. Giugiaro styles it, right?

Right. It really was a good-looking design. Too bad the rest of it was 100% Isuzu.

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,343
    ab348 said:

texases said:

Right. It really was a good-looking design. Too bad the rest of it was 100% Isuzu.

"Lotus-tuned" suspension? Or, was that a different model?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    yeah, Isuzu had the lotus tuned suspension, and I think it was the Impulse. At least 1 generation.

• Options
    Mazda Navajo LX. Looked pretty good for an early 90s rig.
  • Options
    Steve, with the climate out there, do cars age well? I'm guess no rust, but faded out paint and interior?

• Options
    It reminds me of Boise a lot - plenty of rust free cars cruising around, including old Detroit iron. But the paint did seem to hold up better in Boise - "only" 206 sunny days a year on average in Boise vs the 350 here claimed here in Las Cruces.
  • Options
    sounds like a good place to get restoration candidates.

• Options
    Saw a Chrysler TC "Maserati" today, in very nice condition - nowadays they are either time capsules or a couple steps away from the junkyard.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    stickguy said:

sounds like a good place to get restoration candidates.

I usually post these over in Project Cars, but how about a 1950 Chevrolet Styleline Deluxe?

• Options
    well, might not be that practical to use for me, but would be the only one in town.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Unless you picked up the other four for sale around here (So. Colorado over to W. TX). :D
  • Options
    I just noticed they want 14K for the Isuzu. Good luck, even if it is mint.
    lemko said:

Here's an obscure one. When's the last time you've seen one of these?

• Options
    1978 Mark V Diamond Jubilee, in the seemingly less common gold color. Spotted on the tv show "Supernatural", that my housemate is watching on DVR. Oh, and how's this for irony? I'm in the other room, and can hear the tv. One of the characters is in a car that broke down; I could hear it sputtering. Housemate says to the tv "you should have been driving an older car!" (usually the main characters are tooling around in a black '67 Impala 4-door hardtop). I go in to see what kind of car is breaking down. Naturally, it's an Intrepid! Hard to tell in the night time shot, but it looks like a silver one, just like my old one... :p
  • Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Saw a white Dodge Stealth out on the road today. I don't believe I'd actually seen one, nor it's Mitsu companion in person before. Oh well, a Bob Lutz tribute I suppose!
  • Options
    I saw one of those this afternoon on the way home from work. Never got close enough to see if it was a Stealth or the 3000GT. It was a nice shade of dark green, was all I could tell. Can't remember the last time I saw one.
  • Options
    A white 1980s era 2 door G Wagen has turned up at a parking lot where I work. I need to find out more about this.
  • Options
    fintail said:

A white 1980s era 2 door G Wagen has turned up at a parking lot where I work. I need to find out more about this.

Great excitement!!! :)