Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Pilot Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Options
    tocatoca Member Posts: 147
    My dealer says he has seen lots of nicks in the pillars. And, the the seat belt doesn't snap back with much force anyways, as the tension on the retractor isn't all the strong compared to other vehicles I have owned which really means the material used to cover the pillar isn't of high quality. I think part of the problem (at least on the 2003's) is the rear, middle part of plastic portion of the buckle (where the seam of the two pieces meet), there was a small, sharp piece of plastic that wasn't smoothed out during assembly of the buckle on my Pilot. When I released the belt I believe this tiny piece of plastic nicked the pillar. I had my pillar replaced and smoothed out that little raised piece of plastic. Although there are nicks, there appears to be less of them...
  • Options
    drivetoomuchdrivetoomuch Member Posts: 1
    My 2003 Pilot has 43k miles and always has a lot of road noise. Does any undercarriage soundproofing help? If so which ones? Any downside to having this done?
  • Options
    hawaiipilothawaiipilot Member Posts: 2
    Thanks calg for the feedback. I really thought the service department was trying to pull a fast one on me and get out of fixing my car under warranty. But I've heard so many more rodent stories I guess it really does happen. Now I just need to figure out a way to keep it from happening again. By the way, I got charged $170 to fix my chewed wires. They told me it should be $300 but they gave me a break! Sounds like you got a much better deal than me. That's what happens when you live on an island and have no other place to take it.
  • Options
    sjwsmwsjwsmw Member Posts: 131
    I agree, there seems to be too much road noise getting into the cabin. I would consider the treatement as well, but I have my doubts. I heard that the MDX had the noise issue and the fixed it with additional insulation and thicker glass, both of which are prohibitive after market.
  • Options
    pilotpilotpilotpilot Member Posts: 1
    My Pilot has met my expectations and after 13 months and close to 30,000km/18,000mi I am well pleased. I expected it to use more gas than my Odyssey, to be noiser etc. It is an SUV, after all. The car is consistant with my pre-purchase research. My irritations are admitedly picayune, and fewer than I've had with other new cars I have owned. They are:
    1.Leather seats seem flimsy.
    2. Platinum colored surface material on steeering wheel has worn off to reveal balck plastic where my thumb makes contact with it. (really bugs me).
    3. Hatch for tools at back keeps falling off.
    4. Sometimes can't hear turnsignal click - I leave them on like an octogenarian.
    5. No easy way to retrive item that falls between driver's seat and console.
    6. Telephone holder does not stay in the angled position - falls to near horizontal position.
    7. No wheelcovers available for winter wheels (steel rims and snow tires).
    8. Position of interior light switch low on dash near driver's door results in it being bumpted by knee sometimes. It should be higher or recessed.

In addition to wanting to see these annoying items fixed I would welcome;
    9. Curtain airbags
    10. Turn signal lights on side mirrors
    11. Standard fog lights
    12. Bigger cup holders
    13. Easier headrest arrangement for 3rd row seat
    12. Ceiling receptacle for a second pair of sunglasses.
  • Options
    dako_tiandako_tian Member Posts: 298
    Instead of the Pilot we were considering, we bought an 8-passenger GMC Yukon XL SLE. We got a leftover 2003 last November and only had to pay a little under $31,000 for it. It is true that my gas mileage is probably worse than yours (14.9 mpg mixed driving). Though I did not want and did not get leather seating surfaces we have none of your complaints. In addition, we got cargo room for the luggage that the 8 seats will generate when occupied on vacation, standard fog lights, bigger cup holders, a Bose stereo (with 3 distinct variations of volume self adjustment to compensate for speed), and a much quieter interior noise level than our former 1999 F-150 Supercab.

I'm glad you are happy with your choice. You've also reinforced my satisfaction with my own. Happy driving!
  • Options
    chessie64chessie64 Member Posts: 1
    I lost one of the keyless entry remotes that came with my '04 Pilot EX-L. Found replacements on a few sites. Prices range from around $30-60 to as low as $10 on e-bay. handa has one for the '99-'00 civic that looks identical - 3 button (lock, unlock, panic), set of 2 for about $60. Has anyone had to replace theirs? Where did you get them? How do you program the new ones?
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    you are so secure with your purchase that you came here to research Pilots? Interesting.

well, in any case, we actually almost bought the Trailblazer EXT (the Yukon/Suburban is WAY larger and not in the same class as the Pilot). But then we happened upon and test drove the Pilot. The difference was just so astounding that there was no doubt in our minds that the Pilot was the vehicle for us.

glad you are happy with your vehicle and stopped by a Pilot board to share the news!

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    Actually, I have been checking here for a long time from the time before our decision was made. I still stop by out of habit (and for the fine company and conversation). I've even hung out recently again in the Odyssey topics I haunted from 2000. I checked out real estate for years after buying a house and the accumulated knowledge from that obsessive-compulsion (and curiosity) helped me no end when we sold that house and had this one built.

One reason I posted my comments, rather than trying to make anyone feel bad or start a war, was that a similar comment in one of these forums led me to check out the 8-passenger Sienna which we also almost bought.

There are many solutions out there and many different needs. Maybe someone else searching herein will consider another option that just might also turn out better for them, due to a seemingly out of place posting.

As always, enjoy your choice and peace to all. :-)
  • Options
    sjwsmwsjwsmw Member Posts: 131
    If I were an aftermarket source, or even Honda, they probably would do well with a tool designed especially for getting items dropped into that space between the seat and the center console!!

Haha.
  • Options
    its called a coat hanger.
    ;)

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    ptwedgyptwedgy Member Posts: 2
    After reading several of the posts, I have hope that I can get my DVD+R's to work if I download some utilities and use XCopy to burn the DVD. Are there any other solutions outside the use of XCopy? And, more importantly, has anyone had luck playing DVD+R's that contain "home movies"?

I'm in the process of creating DVD+R's from my camcorder and would like assurance that they can be played when finished.
  • Options
    clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    The other way is to use a program called dvd shrink and Nero for making backups. I had no problem playing my Homemade DVD authored by Ulead DVD studio in my pilot. If you are using xcopy make sure to download ifo edit because the pilot will get stuck on the backup screen. Other than that you should be fine.
  • Options
    reichowjrreichowjr Member Posts: 86
    I currently have 20,000 miles on my Pilot and have been pleased for the most part. I have an appointment to have the seats and b pillar looked.

What troubles me is the service dept. seems unaware or not truthful with problems related to the leather. Are there any TSB out there that address these two issues to assist the dealer in correcting the problems.

Thanks for your help
  • Options
    nope. A TSB would mean an acknowledged problem and one that needs to be fixed. These aren't necessarily problems, just annoyances ... well, at least, that is what Honda is going with at the moment. If they decide it is a problem and something they are willing to fix at their expense, then they will issue a TSB. I'm not holding my breath, though.

• Options
    pepster1pepster1 Member Posts: 8
    After reading the posts today, I went downstairs to my garage and inspected the drivers side pillar under the seatbelt retracter. I can't believe it! My pilot is less than a week old and it is covered with nicks in the plastic! Uggh! Any suggestions?
  • Options
    be kinder to your Pilot?

I have seen many complaints about this and I keep checking our pillar and I see no nicks. All I can assume is that it has to do with how different folks remove their seatbelts. Apparently, both my wife and I remove it in a fashion that prevents nicks.

EDIT - oh, wait, ya know, I just remembered a particular post I read. The owner stated that, upon inspecting the inserted part of the seatbelt buckle, he found that the molded joint actually had a sharp edge to it. So he took an exacto knife and shaved it down smoothe. This has helped his particular situation. So you might want to take a look at that.

• Options
    uschullsuschulls Member Posts: 2
    I have lately been getting a "static" or "whirring" sound when starting the Pilot cold... It doesn't appear to be anything in the engine. the sound is similar to the stereo searching a CD for a track, but there is no CD in the stereo. It is also accompanied by a slight ticking sound that seems to come from the front/passenger side. Both sounds seem to fade or disappear after about 5 minutes...

Maybe A/C system? or a faulty speaker? has anyone else heard this?
  • Options
    well, it would be very odd for a faulty speaker to go away after warm up. Have you tried changing anything on your climate controls while this sound is happening to see if it changes? Like shutting the climate off completely?

• Options
    uschullsuschulls Member Posts: 2
    Yes, I tried shutting the climate off and starting the car, and heard the same sounds... It really sounds like the stereo somehow, but I am still not sure...
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Careful...nobody likes to hear that they just might be hard on their car. I cringe everytime I see someone SLAM their car doors.

Granted, they could no make that pillar material a bit tougher but if it were my Pilot I would just not allow them to snap back into position just like I do now on my cars.
  • Options
    fayleenfayleen Member Posts: 1
    We just took delivery on our 2004 Pilot. We have a couple days to decide on the extended warranty available (100K miles & refundable if not used $ 1875) and the coating applications inside and out ($420). Any opinions on these? We are a bit wary.
  • Options
    snowchiefsnowchief Member Posts: 16
    Opinion...say "no." My opinion is that the coating is a joke and the extended warranty is for people who own Tahoes (like I used to). I had a Tahoe for a few years and had it to the dealership for warranty work over a dozen times. I've had my '03 Pilot for 15 months and have 23k miles and the only problem I've had is a broken seat base, which Honda promptly replaced. Odds are in your favorable, considerably, that you will not need the extended warranty so don't let Honda use your money.
  • Options
    if you search for warranty in the Pilot discussions, you will see a few messages on this. One thing you will see is that $1875 is a complete ripoff! You can get it for under a grand. And I'm not talking about a 3rd-party warranty, that is the price for the Honda 7yr/100k deal.

as far as whether you should get it or not is personal preference. I want to get it for ours mainly due to the transmission problems in the past with the accords and oddyseys. This supposedly has been fixed, but I don't want to take any chances. Plus, as far as I know, AWD is a fairly new thing for HOnda, so I don't want to be a guiney pig for that, either. Maybe I'm wrong, but, like I said, its all personal preference. I'd rather spend the $9xx now for peace of mind.

coating applications are crap. you can buy a can of scotch guard and a good waxing product for $20 or so and get the same results (cause that is all that they do as far as I know).

• Options
    paviaboypaviaboy Member Posts: 4
    i bought a Honda Pilot '04 last Sept and after 500 miles transmission fluid was leaking., brought it to the dealer and they tighten the bolts. After a month leaked again , brought it to the dealer they put a sealant on the blot and tighten it , leaked again brought it to a different honda dealer they replace the transmission two times . Do you call this a LEMON.
    I need advice. please HELP
  • Options
    replaced the transmission twice?? Well, I think it depends on your state, but I believe after 3 times and still not fixed, then it is a lemon. But I'm not positive, so you gotta check on that.

• Options
    calihonda1calihonda1 Member Posts: 9
  • Options
    calihonda1calihonda1 Member Posts: 9
    the button that locks and unlocks the door (driver's) is very awkward. Did any one notice that? or just me. I used the back of my finger now, better but still don't feel right.
  • Options
    susanj8susanj8 Member Posts: 1
    I just called my Honda service department concerning problems I have noticed in recent weeks with my 2004 Pilot not starting on the first or even second try. The service man immediately knew what I was talking about and said that Honda's "fix" for it right now is to not insert the key and turn it in one motion. He said to insert the key, let go, and then turn it and it should "work better." He said that Honda is looking into this and there should be a bulletin concerning this coming out later in the year. I also mentioned the clunking sound when backing up and he also confirmed that it was normal and the sound of the brakes calibrating.
    I have been a lurker in the past and received so much information from this board that I wanted to return the favor :) Hope this helps.
    Sue
    P.S. Now I have to go out and check my seatbeat pillar.
  • Options
    schulhofschulhof Member Posts: 71
    Doesn't sound like a lemon to me. Sounds like a Pilot with a transmission leak.

So you claim you had a leak at the transmission "bolt". Is that the drain or fill plug or some other miscellaneous bolt?

Then you claim another dealer has replaced your transmission 2x for the same leak? That means you have had three Pilot transmissions with the same exact leak!

Sounds like a pretty outrageous claim on your part.

Can you offer a better description than "bolt".
  • Options
    kennard1062kennard1062 Member Posts: 1
    This has occurred on my 2004 Pilot (purchased 10/31/03) a total of 4 times; once the vehicle warms up it is fine. The dealership will not even look at it until they can see that it sticks so they can diagnose the problem by working on it in the parking lot until they find where what is causing it to stick. To do this they require that I leave the vehicle over night when the temp is going to be below zero, but they won't give me a car to drive. Two questions...1) has anyone had or heard of someone having this problem with their Pilot and 2) is Honda required to provide a rental vehicle?
  • Options
    What is your problem with the leather seats?

My wifes Pilot is about 7 months old with 15k miles of her and the kids use (abuse?). The leather seats are perfect. I hit them once every other month or so with Lexol which so far has them looking perfect.

The nicks in the plastic by the seat belt openings is outrageous. That plastic must be way too soft for that applciation. My wife does not abuse it, but it is spring loaded (the seat belt) and she has a ton of nicks in the plastic.

Clearly, IMO, Honda cut corners to get this in at $30k. If you want perfection spend $8k more for the Acura.... I wish I could have, but the Pilot made perfect sense.
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    You still won't have a "perfect" car, just one a bit nicer.

Despite it's few imperfections, for the dollars spent, a Pilot is hard to beat!
  • Options
    Someone should offer to give this guy a lift back from the junkyard in three years when his GM starts falling apart.....

Could not resist!

I will take sagging leather and an early morning "clunk" backing down the driveway over a behemoth 14 MPG, sagging headliner, rear drum brake until 2001, Urban Assault Vehicle - ANY DAY.

FWIW, an associate of mine had a Blazer, Suburban and now a Escalade all in the same period that I had an Isuzu Trooper! We pegged twice the miles on the Trooper and it was waaaaay better off when we traded it on the Pilot than when he returned the Suburban off its lease....

#470 of 496 pilotpilot by dako_tian Jan 23, 2004 (4:07 pm)
    Instead of the Pilot we were considering, we bought an 8-passenger GMC Yukon XL SLE. We got a leftover 2003 last November and only had to pay a little under $31,000 for it. It is true that my gas mileage is probably worse than yours (14.9 mpg mixed driving). Though I did not want and did not get leather seating surfaces we have none of your complaints. In addition, we got cargo room for the luggage that the 8 seats will generate when occupied on vacation, standard fog lights, bigger cup holders, a Bose stereo (with 3 distinct variations of volume self adjustment to compensate for speed), and a much quieter interior noise level than our former 1999 F-150 Supercab.

I'm glad you are happy with your choice. You've also reinforced my satisfaction with my own. Happy driving!
  • Options
    given that they guy with the tranny problem hasn't been back, I'd have to say you are right in pegging it as an outrageous claim. i can't believe some people have nothing better to do.

• Options
    gdiepgdiep Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a Pilot about 3 weeks ago. Has anyone experienced this problem. I drove the vehicle this morning and then parked it in my garage as usual. When I went to start the car a few hours later, the car started, but it would not shift out of park. I found that the fuse for the brake lights had burned out and I replaced it. That fuse burned out immediately. I have burned out 4 fuses and still cannot get the vehicle out of park. Just my luck that this occurred Saturday night and all the dealers are closed.
  • Options
    paboo2paboo2 Member Posts: 1
    I have had my EX for about 3 weeks and started noticing the seatbelt nicks talked about in the discussions. Honda should correct this, but I made a quick and inexpensive fix that has prevented further nicks. I put a strip of wide clear packing tape on the post. It is almost invisible and can be removed at anytime. I also put a small square piece of felt on the steering column under the key switch. This prevents the key remote from banging the column and making a noise.
  • Options
    honda37honda37 Member Posts: 2
    Hey:

Just got the '04 Pilot yesterday.
    When I first looked at one, I tried a homemade movie that was a DVDR-, and it played fine.
    didn't think to try a CD-R or plus version DVD.
    got home and tried and neither works.
    It makes a buzzing noise and reads ERR on the display.
    Does any know about this?
    The same CD-R plays fine in the CD player.
    Any body else with similar experience?
    thanks
  • Options
    Obviously (as you undoubtedly realize), you have a short in your brake light circuit. That circuit is where the electronic safety release is that only allows you to shift out of Park if your foot is on the brakes. Since you might need to shift out of Park with a dead battery and, in your case, a dead brake light circuit, Honda has provided a manual override. I don't have a Pilot, but I'm guessing that it is a slot (key size) on top of your steering column or over near the shifter (read your manual to find out). Push a key into that slot and then you can shift out of Park.

Of course, drive very carefully (with 4-way-flashers on, if those work) to the dealer since your brake lights are not working.

Good luck.
  • Options
    meyervillameyervilla Member Posts: 40
    To all you GMC lovers my GMC Envoy began to fall apart at 30,000 miles. It was easier to get in and out of than my 2004 Pilot. I miss it but not it's recurring problems.
  • Options
    mdogramdogra Member Posts: 19
    I bought my 2004 Pilot EX-L in Dec2003. I want to buy the Extended Warranty. Can someone help where to look at for good deals and good service. Warranty provider contact details with price will be appreciated. Also please advice if it's still possible to buy extended warranty as my vehicle is new.
  • Options
    biologistbiologist Member Posts: 5
    I have had my Pilot since June 8 2002 the week it was officially released. I Have only had to bring it in for the 2 major recalls or whatever they call them for the timing belt tensioner problem recently and the reprogramming of the Airbags.

Other than thaqt i have only had some very minor nits. i.e. the driver side windsheild washer nozzle sometimes leaks without using them.

I have driven my car in Death Valley and on the dirt roads around Southern Calfironia. Works great to me.
    One thing though is I take my Pilot to Acura for the major services since Honda dealers around here seem to nickel and dime you for certain things that are supposed to be done. Acura does everything for one price with no extras....

Eric the Desert Rat
  • Options
    k2nordicak2nordica Member Posts: 3
    Has anybody experienced a problem with breaks on the Pilot after coming down from a hill type road?
    Every time I come down from a hillside, the breaks will make this humming noise and then a vibration noise at the very end of the break when I'm driving on flat road. The noise will go away when I stop, turn the engine off, then restart and then the break will behave normal again. I took it to the dealer and they found no problem with the breaks. Somebody please help me with this problem.
  • Options
    Man, I sure hope you're talking about brakes!?! It would be horrible if your brand-new SUV were breaking badly every time you go down a hill. But, if it is, well, I guess that's the breaks! ;-)
  • Options
    Yeah.......you're right.
    I was a little too upset about the situation and forgot where my head was. Sorry about the SP error. I still hope somebody can enlighten me if they have had a similar problem.
    If the readers on this board can go out and test their Pilots and let me know, I would appreciate it.
  • Options
    torpmantorpman Member Posts: 40
    I have gone down several hills and not experienced anything like this. I would reccommend taking it back to the dealer and taking the service manager with you on a road trip to recreate the situation. Obviously something is not right.
  • Options
    no problems here like that

• Options
    Thanks for the input everyone.
  • Options
    cabriodrivercabriodriver Member Posts: 4
    Does anybody in this board have recommendations on a good body shop in San Jose area for repairs on Pilot.

Another driver rear-ended my 04 Pilot on Highway today. There is damage to hatch door and bumper I would have to get fixed. Luckily we did not have injuries.

Let me know. Thank you
  • Options
    pastapwrpastapwr Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I just purchased my 2004 Pilot 3 days ago. I have not had a chance to look at the door pillar plastic for chips, but did notice that after having an adult enter and exit for seating in the third row that the door sill plate is severly scratched. This bothered me, as it should be a tough enought material to endure use since it is on the door sill. Oh well, I guess it is not a new car anymore.