Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Honda Pilot Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    marutimaruti Member Posts: 9
    Which dealer in SoCal? I bought mine on June 30th from Scott Robinson and I think that was the last day for the $1000 extra Honda rebate to dealers.

Push hard to get it below invoice first. Are they throwing in any accessories like running boards, mats etc? If not, then push to get some of these accessories atleast if they don't lower price any further. I made them throw in the premium running boards because of that extra incentive that they were getting from Honda. I don't know about you but if you have any small kid like me, the side boards are really handy to get in & out of the car.

All the best.
  • Options
    ar15haymakerar15haymaker Member Posts: 5
    That is the first I have heard about a 1,000$ rebate to honda dealers. My Consumer Reports price check report doesn't even show that. It shows zero incentives.

I've had 3 dealers all tell me that this was their invoice price ($37,515.00). Only one of those three dealers offered to match that price (not beat it). All other dealers pretty much said they could not offer me the vehicle at invoice price and I walked away from all of them. There are no add ons.
  • Options
    brooklynrockbrooklynrock Member Posts: 20
    That's a good deal. The lowest I'm getting in the SF Bay Area is $39K. Anyone else in the Bay Area get a lower price for the Touring w/Nav & RES?
  • Options
    tdf1tdf1 Member Posts: 4
    The dealer may have known what they were talking about this time.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2009-07-30-cash-for-clunkers-program-suspend- - ed_N.htm

> This is the classic FUD strategy dealers use!

> Funding will run out - thats a bunch of crock! Yes, the CARS program does have
    > limited funds but the program just started. If the program is successful, Congress
    > may inject new funds.
  • Options
    sdp1sdp1 Member Posts: 4
    Actually the 35K includes the destination charge according to the invoice.
  • Options
    Is anyone else finding that dealers are being very nonresponsive right now? Is this a summer thing or is this because they've been mobbed by people doing cash for clunkers? What about us non cash for clunkers people? We need cars too!
  • Options
    sdp1sdp1 Member Posts: 4
    Well I went in Friday to the dealership and they agreed to $35K + $500 Dealer Fees + Tax and Title, so $37,800 out the door. I signed the contract and was going to come back on Saturday to pay and pick up the car.

So today when I am about to pay them and get the keys, they jacked up the price by $200 saying they needed to included an internet fee. I told them we had a deal yesterday and I would not pay it. Then they come back and say well it's actually $300 more due to "Dealer Options," pinstripes and mudguards. I did not want these in the first place, but they would not budge. So I walked out.

I think they must have had someone offer a higher price on the car. Can't believe they would go back on a signed contract though.

Anyways, don't trust the folks at Curry Honda in Atlanta GA. They will try to rip you off at the last minute. Think I am going to wait for this Cash for Clunkers to die down before I purchase now. A lot of people are motivated to buy cars at unusual prices because of the rebate.
  • Options
    honda2009honda2009 Member Posts: 30
    Curry Honda did the exact same thing to me. Agree that you shouldn't buy there. We walked out too.
  • Options
    carbcarb Member Posts: 14
    I had a different experience with them. I purchased a 2010 EXL from them on Independence Day for $30100 + TTL. Haggled over the internet and they did not change the price when i got there. Overall it was a pleasant experience.
  • Options
    teoteebobteoteebob Member Posts: 16
    Very good response sdp1. I would like to see more people mentioning dealers' names as far as the services they received. Both very good service as well as the poor service should be mentioned. On this site, we should be mentioning the dealers who provide a price and then change it at the end (as sdp1 did). In my opinion, you should ALWAYS walk on on that dealer! And provide the dealer's names and locations for those who honor their pricing and give extra good service! :)

It still seems that the dealers are not receiving any (or many) 2010's, especially the
    EX-L's. I think that Honda is hoping to sell some of their other models during this Cash for Clunkers promotion and therefore are holding back on their inventory from the manufacturer. I am going to cool it until that program is over and the dealers start getting fresh inventory. Also, I think that I may wait and compare the Pilot with the Toyota Highlander if the 2010 Highlander comes out in September.
  • Options
    aln1aln1 Member Posts: 23
    I heard on NPR that there are already price gouging by dealers to uninformed buyers.

As for good and bad dealers, I don't have very much faith that there are any 100% good ones out there. The ones that don't get taken are the ones that do their research before going in. They make their kill based on customers. If you are prepared and knowledgeable on the car buying process, you will likely come away satisfied. If you don't know the process, they will make their kill and up sell you heaven and earth. I came away pretty satisfied from where I bought my pilot but have met buyers that got burned by the same dealer on gap insurance, price fuddling, high priced warranty, accessories, etc.

I am glad sdp1 walked away from the dealer. :)
  • Options
    helen_1027helen_1027 Member Posts: 1
    2010 Honda Pilot Touring. I got an internet quote from Spreen Honda $33,827.00 +TTL and Corona Honda $33,695.00 +TTL
  • Options
    thechipguythechipguy Member Posts: 1
    I got a quote of $31555 for a 2009 Pilot EXL 4WD + TTL, Does this sound like a good price??
  • Options
    I don't think so for a 2009. Compare with a 2010. You may be surprised at the small difference. Why buy an older car if you can't get the 2009 cheaply?
  • Options
    shileishilei Member Posts: 11
    No, no a thousand times no. Love the EXL 2010 Pilot 2wd for 33???.00 OTD we bought but 31555 for a 2009. Try again.
  • Options
    They're now asking thousands more for cars than they were a month ago. It's a bad, bad time to be looking.
  • Options
    angie_bangie_b Member Posts: 8
    Finalizing deal in Nashville, TN for 2010 Pilot EX-L 4 WD w/o Nav. Original offer was for $35, 795 but negotiated it down to $34,430 which includes destination fee, plus add-ons of moonroof visor, all-season mats for all 3 rows, and pinstriping. Based on edmunds.com info, this is just $1616 over invoice. My instinct tells me this is a fair price and probably as sweet as I can get considering there are so few 2010 around and no 2009 in this trim line available in this region.

Comments, suggestions, recommendations?
  • Options
    My instinct and calculation says it is high. Pinstriping is a sticker stick on, no? If you like it, do it on your own. I won't even consider this to be a price that I have to add on when I negotiate. If the dealer insist, tell them to remove it. As for mats, you can get it online at a much lower price at $146.25 plus shipping. Moonroof visor is $111.15 plus shipping.

I understand the market is different from when there were incentives for the 2009s and prices were driven down much lower, and not to mention market is now affected by cash for clunkers buyers, however, I think you can do better. No harm in trying as many dealers as possible and just ask them to lower their price [edit: not once but multiple times, you're bargaining here, don't forget]. Worst is they don't respond. Nothing bad about that.
  • Options
    Thanks for response.

Actually, the $34,430 was the price we negotiated but I asked them to throw those items in since they wouldn't drop to my offer of $33,500. (Yeah, i've checked and will be picking up a few other accessories from after market sellers)

This dealer doesn't even have any of these on their lot--in fact I've only found 3-4 in this trim period in the area--and they're having to locate from other dealers in the region.

Ironically, this price for the 2010 is $250 less than the price I was quoted by another Honda dealer for a 2009 model just 3 weeks ago! And a "demo" model at that! Go figure that one!
  • Options
    I still say it's too high. Throwing in those few low price items does not justify paying higher. If they won't drop to your price, which is also high in my opinion, then you walk out and wait. Dealers will get more pilot so what's there to worry about? Worse is you wait for it after coming to a good price.

Anyway, as long as you're happy spending the money. :) Happy driving.
  • Options
    jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    Honda will continue to cut production until demand matches supply. They can then hold pricing on pilots because enough people want them -- even at msrp. They will also increase prices slowly but surely so that when the snow flies they can offer discounts off inflated prices so folks feel like they got a deal. The only way consumers can negate this strategy is to not buy any pilots for 6 months and give the bean counters pause for thought on this strategy. It won't happen -- the days of big discounts on honda pilots are gone. Even the domestic auto scene is changing. Keep the supply in line with demand and you make more money. They all would prefer to sell more fuel efficient vehicles. Those who bought can sit in the smug chair. Those who didn't will have to pay more or buy something else. Nothing wrong with either of those options but new stuff is on the horizon so waiting might be a good idea. Two years from now it will be a new world -- but it won't be cheap.
  • Options
    justaveragejoejustaveragejoe Member Posts: 268
    I agree. Supply and demand are definitely at work here. Dealers are not having any problems meeting quotas and they are currently selling to folks that are just showing up at the dealership with a trade in. Good for dealers, bad for savvy shoppers. Typically, (through patient internet negotiations) you can get dealers to sell at invoice or below unless the demand is high, such as a new improved model. That demand usually settles down, too.
  • Options
    pdx22pdx22 Member Posts: 5
    Figured I better pull the trigger on a new Pilot while there is still CARS money - talked to a couple dealers, no 2010 2wd in stock in OR or WA.

Not buying a 2009 without some incentives when the 2010's are out, though the quotes I received were just below invoice (couple hundred over "dealer cost" on truecar)

Anyway I can check regional inventory without waiting on a dealer to get back to me?

If this doesn't work out, I'll have to drive my clunker until the wheels fall off.. :D
  • Options
    Well, worked a bit more to get a a few hundred dollars off, new offer is $33,998. Going to sign the paperwork today. Glad to have this exhausting process drawing to a close.

Could another person have haggled more and gotten a price less than $1500 over dealer cost per TrueCar™ Price for this area (Nashville)? Maybe. With supply so limited and showroom traffic up thanks to CARS, don't know how negotiable these folks really want/need to be at this time.

I'll add my buying experience remarks after I take delivery.
  • Options
    baccus49baccus49 Member Posts: 60
    is this OTD price 33,998?
    the best I can get is 35600 OTD price for EXL AWD / RES

please commen on my quote

thanks in advance.
  • Options
    No, the $33,998 is the negoitated vehicle price. TTL & Fee adds another $3K. Also, this was the 4x4 EX-L without navigation or rear entertainment package.
  • Options
    really, TTL & Fee add 3K ? wow then it is $36,998 so that made the quote I got seem a better deal.
  • Options
    The 2WD models are about $2K less to start than 4x4 version, so obviously you are starting lower at the onset.

Here's a helpful site I found: http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/Honda_Pilot/

Good luck!
  • Options
    zorkonzorkon Member Posts: 22
    I've been getting quotes from several dealers (still waiting on one or two). The lowest so far has been $31,800, including a $600 dealer fee and excluding TTL.

I want to add running boards, remote start, and a bike rack. With those accessories, the OTD price including TTL is $35,800.

Does this seem like a good price?
  • Options
    Just got myself a 2010 AWD /RES Black for 3,5000 OTD price. care to commen on this? what you think about this deal?
  • Options
    mistrymistry Member Posts: 5
    2010 Honda Pilot 4WD Touring with RES (DVD) White ext/Gray int
    Done deal! I picked up yesterday. Princeton, NJ

36,216.00 price with destination (MSRP w/dest = 40,955)
    1,728.00 (7) accessories (looks sweet) - maybe could have haggled more
    Premium Running Boards
    Hood Air deflector
    Moonroof visor
    Door Visors
    All-season mats
    Cargo divider
    Wheel locks

37,944.00 Sub-Total
    2,656.08 Sales Tax (NJ - 7%)
    7.50 Tire tax
    197.00 Doc Fee

$40,804.58 Total

394.00 Motor Vehicle (Title, Registration, etc)

$41,198.58 Grand Total (OTD - Out the Door)

What do you think?

Why does my flash drive say "unsupported" half the time? Any solutions?
  • Options
    lukeocytelukeocyte Member Posts: 5
    What was the trim level? LX, EX, EXL, or Touring?
  • Options
    lukeocytelukeocyte Member Posts: 5
    I think you got a great deal on the price of the vehicle, but they made up for it with all the accessories you got...IMO.
  • Options
    marutimaruti Member Posts: 9
    You got a great price on the car for sure but may be slightly overpaid for the accessories.

But none the less, it's a done deal now. So don't worry and enjoy the drive :) !!
  • Options
    carbiyercarbiyer Member Posts: 2
    I wished I had read this before I bought my 2010 Pilot last week from Goodson North! I was happy with the service until we found out that the car pulls to the right! We brought it back and was given 2 different explanations. The service rep said a part needs to be replaced and that will take 3 weeks to 2 months but the sales manager said "ALL CARS PULL!!!!' What kind of crap is that? We were so mad that we dropped the keys and left. The finance manager was kind and called to ask what he can do to make it up...other than that nothing has happened and we are still without a car 3 days later!!
    So, I sent an email to Rocky and waited half a day for his reply to tell me he would look into it and then nothing! Then I replied asking when shall I expect an update and I got was "tomorrow"...Hmmm...if the president of the company treated a dissatisfied customer with such an attitude, what can I expect from his employees? Maybe asking for honesty and respect is too much to ask from a company as well known as they are. Total disappointment!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:
  • Options
    bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    What a BS. He/she shouldn't be a sales manager, no common sense ... "sales manager said "ALL CARS PULL!!!!'
  • Options
    Sorry, it is an EX-L
  • Options
    carbiyercarbiyer Member Posts: 2
    That's why my husband got so mad that he left without the car...and today is the 4th day without a car. My faith starts to diminish. Now I am not sure if it is even worth to fight. We thought bringing the matter to the president of the company will help...so far I haven't seen anything yet. Now I understand why a guy would ramp him car into a dealership! If it was legal, I probably would have done so already!!
  • Options
    rayzamrayzam Member Posts: 11
    Sorry to hear about that, and I totally understand your frustration especially when you are paying a premium to get a supposedly "high quality" car. Nonetheless, let me share my experience with you to see if it helps a bit: I got my EX-L last week, and on my drive home from the dealership (which was about 70 miles), I too noticed the car was pulling toward right. I became very annoyed thinking that I got a brand new Honda and it already had alignment issues. So, the next day morning, I took it to a dealership nearby to have it checked out. To make a long story short, it turned out that both tires on right were a bit underinflated, and a simple pressure adjustment and rotation fixed the issue.

In my case, the car was 09 so it was sitting on the lot for a while which may explain the tire pressure issue. Also, the pre-delivery check-up is not always done correctly, and there is always the possibility of some minor issues being left out. In any case, the warranty should cover all these issues for free (but I admit that you have to spend your time fixing them, which is not free).

I understand if you guys prefer to just return the car, and you should do it if it doable and if it makes you feel better, but it wouldn't be the end of world if you decided (or had) to keep it. Just my opinion - Good luck!

PS: Did the service department actually check the car and told you that you needed a part to fix it? What was their diagnosis? Again from my experience, many service advisors are clueless and just being a Honda dealership doesn't mean they know what they are doing or saying. There are 10+ Honda dealership in LA vicinity and I have had horrible experience with quite a few (e.g the the Airport Marina dealership constantly quoted twice as much as other dealerships for regular services).
  • Options
    allensoonerallensooner Member Posts: 5
    I am looking for an LX in North Texas, what should be the Out the Door price of this car? Thanks,
  • Options
    I'd start by checking several of the car pricing sites [edmunds-vehix-truecar-etc].
    8-10% off msrp is probably about right.
  • Options
    mugen19mugen19 Member Posts: 2
    I'm about to pull the trigger on a new 2010 EX-L in Florida.

Curious what you think...

car price: $30,768
    OTD: $33,308.55

I had about 6 dealerships bidding on this and was able to get the car price down to $30,500. But, the best OTD price is the one you see above.

Warning to Florida buyers, many dealerships were quoting me a flat 7% tax on the vehicle selling price. Remember, Florida state tax rate is 6%. If your county imposes a surtax, that amount is only charged on the first $5000.

For example: my county adds a 1% surtax to the state tax. So, i pay 7% on the first $5000 of the car, then 6% on the remaining amount.

If your not careful, a dealership may slide the 7% flat tax past you and scoop up the extra money as profit.
  • Options
    kerbearkerbear Member Posts: 4
    What is the prices you were quoted? I recently got a quote and wondered if it was any good. I live in Maryland.
    2010 $35999 plus $750destination plus tax tag title and $99 dealer fee
  • Options
    Closed the deal on this new Pilot on 8/7/09 at Reddell Honda in Murfreesboro, TN. Vehicle price of $33, 098 which included destination charge plus all-season mats, moonroof visor and pinstriping; OTD price after taxes, doc fee, etc was $37K.

Would have liked to have had it for about $1500 less, but based on research for pricing in this region and increased showroom traffic thanks to CARS, this seemed competitive and fair. Happy to close the deal and be driving my new Pilot! :shades:

Great experience all the way around. Mary, our internet sales consultant, was responsive and dedicated to answering all our questions. Did everything (except take delivery) via email, phone and fax in just 5 days! Highly recommend this dealership for anyone in the Middle Tennessee area.

Happy driving!
  • Options
    ksiebelmailksiebelmail Member Posts: 2
    I wanted to buy a 2010 Honda pilot Touring Model and went to dealer and quoted 35K for Touring with RES.Not sure if this is reasonable price but sales man said we are far apart and we can't sell a vechile at that price and never even gave a reverse quote.So i raised my bait to 36K and still not getting responce from them.My friend bought 2009 same touring model for 33.5K with out RES.Can someone tell me if the price is good or Iam wrong,so that I can correct myself.

Any suggestions are really appreciated.
  • Options
    The msrp should be 39500 for awd touring with res. Cars direct has the target price at 37200. You can check out various sites including edmunds for prices as well. Some will refer you to a local dealer who will sell at that price -- bring the printout and pre-approved financing.
  • Options
    bflowngsbflowngs Member Posts: 2
    Started looking for my Pilot today hoping to use the cash for clunkers for my 97 Explorer. Was told today would be the last day this dealership would honor the program as they are concerned the new money will be depleted.

Was offered a price of 31,983 for the Pilot plus $398 doc fee. NC tax is 3%.

They don't have the color I want, so will wait till one shows up. they will transfer one in for me. Is this a fair price? I am thinking things will get better on the lot once the fed program is over. Would like to get the $3,500 for the explorer though!!
  • Options
    bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    Invoice Price for 2010
    2WD Touring w/Res 35,706
    4WD Touring w/Res 37,152
  • Options
    jungle_catjungle_cat Member Posts: 18
    Hi:

I think the price you want; if it is for a 2WD model is okay but for the 4WD model it is probably a little low as invoice for the 4WD model is about $ 37,000. Beginning of July I bought a Touring 4WD w/NAV and RES for invoice. I can not remember the exact price.

JC
  • Options
    munkmunk Member Posts: 7
    Just bought one in Minneapolis...

OTD price, including cross-bars and tow harness, plus $3500 CFC discount, was $33,551.