Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Honda Pilot Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    honda2009honda2009 Member Posts: 30
    Got a mass email from Boston and Michigan dealers saying all previous offers made that were not taken by last night are off the table since the incentive program changes. He was not specific as to which model year, but I assume this could only apply to the 2009 since there were never incentives for the 2010. Anyone else get the same?

That being said, Howard Cooper Honda in Ann Arbor 'graciously' offered us $37,200 for an '09 4WD Touring with RES- I have offers from 2 other dealers from around 5pm last night to do a 2010 for a touch less than that, which we are likely going to take unless an incentive breaks today. Howard Cooper was brutal when dealing with my 2006 Audi A4 when I got it at that time--not surprised they gave a s*&t offer for a Pilot.
  • Options
    cszulccszulc Member Posts: 33
    Well I thought I was able to, but then I arrive at the dealer (that I drove 40 min to) to find they "discovered" the car already had installed options (about $2k worth) that they wouldn't budge on. I have no need for running boards (were going to put them on aftermarket), remote starter, $300 all-season floor mats, or fog lights.

I immediately said goodbye and they came out begging with a $500 discount. I won't deal with a dealer like that.

Will wait for new July incentives and "settle" on the Nimbus Gray (still a good color) or go for a 2010 if they come down a little.
  • Options
    AXM23AXM23 Member Posts: 64
    I was quoted $31,900 last night for the same vehicle (09 EXL RES 4WD). That may have changed today sinec the $1500 incentive was pulled.
  • Options
    Anyone know if any new programs were released today? In particular anything for the 2010s?
  • Options
    nuzynuzy Member Posts: 54
    I received an email this morning that said "As of today, you can get a 2010 for about the same price as a 2009." Not sure if that means 2009s are more expensive because incentives were pulled, or 2010s have some new incentives on them to bring the price down (although it seems way too early for that). I am interested in buying, but have not received any clarification yet on what the statement means.
  • Options
    Right now my 37,151 for this remains as is. I asked if there were any 2010 incentives to help bring this down and haven't gotten a straight no yet, but I suspect the salesman would have told me since I'm still mulling over that price.

BTW - any thoughts on that price? I'm about to pull the trigger.
  • Options
    teoteebobteoteebob Member Posts: 16
    Thanks, Big Dad,

I'll see if they still have them and will offer a fair price.
  • Options
    Please keep us informed if you should hear anything. I am holding out for a 2010 but haven't been able to get much done with pricing yet. The dealers don't seem to care that their sales are down 45% and the economy is tanking!
  • Options
    I was offered $35,476 on a 2009 4WD Touring w/ RES, which was invoice less the $1500 incentive. Now that the $1500 is gone, that wouldn't apply, but you should still be under $37,000 on a 2009. I think the $37,151 is too much for a 2009. Probably not horrible for a 2010, but if I were you I'd hate to find out in a couple days that there is something from the manufacturer on 2010s. If you are pressed to get a car, I suppose get it. If not, you might want to wait. We've got quite a few 2010s sitting on the lots here now, so I have the luxury of waiting for some incentives.
  • Options
    soxsucksoxsuck Member Posts: 3
    Today's Chicago Tribune.com shows that the $1500 2009 rebate is in place. Not sure if its accurate, its dated today.
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/autocorner/chi-rides-rebate-0712jul09,0,7- 03892.story
  • Options
    I just got this email from a local dealer..."currently there are no incentives on either model year." So who knows...
  • Options
    Hey Nuzy--the $37,151 is for a 2010 4WD/RES Touring, though today a dealer did offer this same price for a 2009. We politely declined. However, we now have 3 dealers who will give us this price on a 2010 4WD/RES Touring, which looks as good as we've seen on a 2010. This would put us out the door in $39,629 at 6% tax.

What are some pros and cons about the color choices, from previous Honda owners (we are not)? Are these the same color choices used for all Honda vehicles?
  • Options
    So basically they are all offering invoice including destination. One of the internet sales guys in town told me he was planning to buy a 2010 soon for his family and would be buying it at invoice, so that might be the best you can expect for the near future.
  • Options
    cndnbkncndnbkn Member Posts: 76
    Crown in Greensboro gave me the best deal on my pilot in 06, i live in durham and southpoint couldnt match the deal. Crown Greensboro was around $1500 cheaper than everyone else. Had to wait a week for the car to come in. It was already allocated to them. email all dealers and then send the best quote to the dealers that have your car. Worked the best for me in 06 with the pilot and 08 for an acura TL. Saved $1500-$2000 both times. Also if you email dealers in Richmond and VA beach they will give you really low prices. Sure you dont want to drive there but you can use those prices against the closer dealers to secure your self the best deal. Internet sales managers have much more leeway than walk in sales staff in my experience. Let us know how you do. My 06 lease ended last month and I am going month to month on extensions until i can find the deal i want on a new vehicle, hopefully a pilot or mdx.
  • Options
    rayzamrayzam Member Posts: 11
    Hi Frank, I'm awfully sorry for my delay as we are also closing on a house and I had to give priority to that. LA downtown Honda gave me that price on a 2010 model, but the guy didn't call back to confirm it and in the meanwhile, I have found a few dealers willing to offer 09 EX-L with RES below 30k, so I decided to go with 09 models. Sorry again for my delay and best luck!
  • Options
    zuluwarriorzuluwarrior Member Posts: 22
    Article says it was written on the 7th and it also shows the Pilot rebate
    to run out on the 9th, which is correct.

According to a dealer I spoke with today, Honda is not putting out a new program on Pilots. He also said the glut of 2010's on the lots was because some dealers in more healthy parts of the country are buying vehicles from Honda cancelled from dealers who ordered them. He said he does get some $$ for taking a certain number of vehicles from his rep.

He priced me a 2010 EX-L for 200.00 below invoice......

I was surprised to see however that tan leather has not been continued
    in 2010 on black........guess I'll have to find an 09 with it somehow.....
  • Options
    mike1112mike1112 Member Posts: 9
    I was so close to buy a 2009 EX-L Pilot, but at the last min i've changed my mind and purchased 2009 Toyota Highlander 2WD Limited. I am so glad that i pulled the trigger on 7/7 and did not wait for 2009 Pilot incentive to go down. I love my higlander and hate Pilot.
  • Options
    franklwfranklw Member Posts: 46
    Not a big deal, I might be out of the market for a new Pilot all together. To make the long story short, my 2005 97K miles Pilot EX-L developed transmission problem (loud whines audible at all gears), I was finally able to have one of the local Honda dealers agreed to replace the transmission courtesy of Honda Care warranty. I was going to trade in my Pilot for a 2009 or 2010 before my extended warranty runs out in Dec 2009 or 105K miles if I can't get Honda to replace my transmission. Congrats on your house and your new car. Wow..you pick really good time to make your purchases.
  • Options
    erikancerikanc Member Posts: 10
    Hi bob,

My strategy was to get the lowest price I could through internet quotes. Autopark Honda in Cary gave me the best quote right off the bat, and Flow Honda in Winston-Salem matched it, as well as Hendrick (sometimes after 1-2 calls and emails). I would definitely work with out-the-door prices for negotiating. Then, I used my quotes with the dealers that had the car I wanted, finding them primarily through online searches (though some dealers do not list their new inventory online, so I had to call them). Bryan Honda in Fayetteville was the only one that had an acceptable color to me, but it took about 20 phone calls for them to match the best price I had. The whole process took more than a month.

After it was all said and done, I feel we got a good price. I was still irritated that my dad got a slightly better price on his in VA, but I think he purchased it when the dealer incentive was $2000 instead of 1500. And they had a trade-in. Anyway, hope this helps, and good luck to you! You may want to search East Coast Honda in Myrtle Beach. They had a big inventory. Also Hendrick eventually agreed to deliver the car to me, so that may be an option if your car is far away. You may want to ask how many miles they have also. This could be a negotiating point for you.
  • Options
    Anyone hear anything about if or when 2010 Pilot incentives will kick in? Also, what kind of rates for 60mo financing from Honda are you getting?
  • Options
    Thanks for your suggestions. I did contact two dealers in Virginia,(Richmond and Virginia Beach). They were both so much too high on their initial quotes that I didn't follow up on them. But my wife and I are going to Crown in Greensboro Monday and have a quote that I'm comfortable with unless there are some surprises when we get there. I had one quote that was a little less down around Charlotte but the difference didn't justify going that far. That dealer participated in the Costco Auto Program. They quoted Invoice plus $100.
  • Options
    bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    I would offer $300 below invoice as lately I saw some dealers are willing to do so on 2010 model.
  • Options
    la_dudela_dude Member Posts: 6
    I received a price quote of $32,314 for the 2010 EXL 2WD RES from a dealer in southern California. This price includes destination & handling charge. Is this a good deal or not?
    Thanks,
  • Options
    02odytw02odytw Member Posts: 6
    We were the complete opposite. We liked the Highlander (sport with Nav/Res) at first, but after a couple of test drives and more research, we found the Pilot Touring RES/NAV to be cheaper with a lot more space (seating for 8) and more bells and whistle (that I would actually use like the USB Input).
  • Options
    kat2800kat2800 Member Posts: 23
    I am very surprised to learn that there are no current incentives on the Pilot. Any thoughts on this?
  • Options
    Anyone know if there is a way to see what dealers are expecting what cars and when? Also, anyone know what dealerships charge each other, if anything, for a vehicle trade?
  • Options
    longhorninpittlonghorninpitt Member Posts: 1
    I was quoted $37,552 for a 2010 Touring with Nav and RES. A ny comments on if this is a good price or not? Also, I heard there are not going to be any new incentives/rebates for the 2010 Pilot... anyone hear anything different?
  • Options
    I've been looking for a few weeks. My best offer is 37,150 (including destination). I thought that was great (and still will likely do this) but then looked on truecar.com. That site suggests that the average national price is right around 37,500 for the Touring w/ RES.

It also makes a difference where you are. I've found that the north has better quotes than the south.
  • Options
    shileishilei Member Posts: 11
    I am surprised that someone said they bought a highlander after driving a pilot. We bought a pilot and my wife loves it. We paid 33,000.00 I can not remember the exact amount. That is out the door (OTD) on a 2wD E-XL. We drove the Volvo x90 and the Highlander. Neither one comes close. We even considered the Chevy Travers because I wanted to patriotic and give Chevy a chance but the stories of how customers have treated long-term quality made us think twice. A car must not just look good it has to be good and we plan on put a lot of miles on both our CRV and our Pilot. I hope this help someone. It may seem petty but the pilot shows like a high-end luxury vehicle. As for space and ride we could not compare it the highlander. Sure, the price of the Highlander fell like a dress on prom night when we told the sales person that we were considering the Pilot but we bought the pilot anyway. Foolish choice? Maybe but the extra space and head turning drive down the road have not kept us awake at night. Interest rate is 4.99% we put 8,000.00 down (no down payment required).

Before you ask…No, I am not a salesman.
  • Options
    riptide248riptide248 Member Posts: 2
    We received a price today for the Pilot, 2010, Touring, the MSRP was $39,800... we have the Nav but not the RES. We also added a side step. The dealer quoted a purchase price of $36,000.

But surprised to learn that there are no financing incentive or rates favorable... since we have 800+ credit scores. Anyone have advice on a good place to get a new car loan?
  • Options
    About the best I've been able to find right now is Bank of America at 4.24%. They list the rate right on their website.
  • Options
    bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    Check out www.AAA.com
    > Car Loan
  • Options
    librianlibrian Member Posts: 1
    I am also a bit perplexed as to why no incentives. I had read that the pilot sales were not very good on a year to date basis compared to the prior year.
    I am in the market for a Pilot as my first choice but I am now going to consider other alternatives like the Toyota Highlander or such.
    Another thing that is perplexing is this forum , it seems suspicious to me that the prices paid posted by alleged buyers is so high. I am inclided to suspect that a bunch of dealers are posting in this forum to create an impression that a good deal is the prices they quote.
    In my analysis most of the price paid quoted in this forum are bogus and would fit in the category of a bad deal.
    So much for honesty on the internet.
  • Options
    lufacalufaca Member Posts: 31
    I was also in the market for a Pilot and watch this forum to lead me with prices but you are probably right, there are some dealers trying to push their prices. However, you as the consumer can opt to by the car if the right price comes along. That is what happened to me.
    I live in Southern California here is what I did:
    1. I determine an acceptable price with the vehicle and options I wanted.
    2. Then I have a few dealers in my area give me a quote for that car.
    3. I went to the closest dealer to try to negotiate my target price. It took me about six months dealing back and forth with this dealership until another dealer about one hour away from me gave me a hint to deal with me. I took the trip and got the car I wanted at the price I wanted. (I am extremely happy with the car but it is still too new to tell).
    Negotiations:
    1. Beware Do not include your trade in the negotiations because they will use that against you.
    2. Try to sell the car in the market because believe me the dealer will always low ball the price of your trade in even below what Edmunds or KBB states.
    3. I you are financing the car try to get pre-approved with your bank or credit union.
    4. Do not buy extended warranties from the dealer. They are too expensive. Your credit union might be able to provide you with a decent one.
    5. Go with the mind set that you will not get the car the same day you come to the dealership. Walk away if necessary. They will pressure to commit but if you need another week they will offer the same deal a week later. A 30K car is not easy to sell and besides there is not brisk sales now, if they want to sell it they will deal with you.
    6. Be willing to take a few colors with exactly the options you want. If you go to their lot and fall in love with one of their cars the dealership has the upper hand and they will jack up the price with of the BS they put on the car.

If you need to talk to somebody drop me a note I can share with you my whole experience.
  • Options
    kjdsiderkjdsider Member Posts: 7
    Hi all,

Does anyone know how much 2006 pilots should be selling for today? I've been checking listings at dealers and they're pricing them from 20k(LX) to 26k(EX-L). I checked the old posts in this thread from Feb 06 and it seems like the prices of LX to EX-L w/navi or w/RES was around 26k to 32k before taxes.

Is the Pilot supposed to hold prices THAT well? seems extremely high to me. I was expecting 60% of invoice... but it seems to be selling for like 75% after 3-4 years!!
  • Options
    bkbankerbkbanker Member Posts: 6
    I would like to buy a pilot and also live in Southern California. I have no trade in, will probably pay cash for the car and want whatever color shows dirt the least (probably silver). I have two small children and very little free time. Any recommendations regarding which dealer you used in So. Cal., price paid, etc.? The only options I care about are leather seats for durability and 4WD for the snow.
  • Options
    I am looking for the same thing right now. The prices you are quoting would be the ridiculosly high range from a honda dealer selling CPO or an outrageous used car dealer. It depends where you are of course but all over the country there are a ton of 06 Pilots hitting the auctions right now. The reason is they are all coming off lease and Honda is upside down in the residuals. Meaning what someone could buy their lease out for is $3-5K more than the car is worth so everyone is returning them. I should know I have an 06 2wd lx that the residual from my lease to purchase is $15,300 or so and the wholesale auction value is in the $11-$12K range, so I will definetly be turning it in. Have tried to sell it on Craigslist for $16K, and not one serious inquiry. Some brands will negotiate residual values but American Honda finance does not. That said I have found some good wholesale dealers that are selling 06 EXL with mileage from 40-60K around the $17k range and 06 EXL with Navi for around $18K. These are all 2wd and I am sorry that I dont have LX information but I am interested in getting a loaded pilot for purchase this go round. I am in NC and the best wholesale dealers for price and quantity of cars, afterall thats what their business model, buy and sell a lot of vehicles making smaller profits, has been in DC or Atlanta. I am in NC so that is as far as I am willing to look. Its worth a 4 or 5 hour drive to me, or $100 one way plane ticket to save $3-4K minimum. If you want a one owner 06 pilot 2wd black with tan cloth with only 45kmiles for $16K PM me, but my guess is you can find a cheaper one if you hit autotrader.com and cars.com and do some searching with a 500mile radius from you. You will notice some dealers have lots of low prices pilots continuesly Those are the ones you want to contact. Hope this helps and sorry for the long post.
  • Options
    I still had to dicker a little bit with Crown of Greensboro when we bought(leased) or 06 Pilot but it only took 2:30 mintues total from start to signing papers. Just dont buy and junk from the FI(finance and insurance) guy. They will sell you anything you can think of. Good luck.
  • Options
    I also think that some of the posts on this forum are placed there by dealers. But just sort through all the information available and you will see a pattern to what is probably bogus! All in all, this forum is a real big help.

But it is amazing on the variances in the difference quotes. I am looking for a 2010 Pilot EX-L 2WD, Dark Cherry with beige interior or, as a 2nd choice, the Mocha Metallic with beige interior. No options are being requested. I am receiving quotes as much as $2,500 different! I suspect that they are shooting for maximum profit and hoping that I will try to negotiate with them. If they are much too high on their first quote, I mark that dealer off my list real quick!

But I have the feeling that they must not realize that we talk to each other and get information off of the web. I have the feeling that many of them think we are completely uninformed.

If anyone in the North Carolina area finds a dealer with a good inventory of EX-L
    2WD's, please let me know. It seems that the Dark Cherry Pearl and the Mocha Metallic with beige interior are hard to find.
  • Options
    I was quoted an additional $500. by one dealer and no additional charge from another dealer. I suspect it depends on the distances involved and the agreements between the dealers. It does cost them something in time and expense. If they don't quote a charge for the transfer, they probably have made it up some other place. But I feel that $500 is completely out of reason (sort of like the $499 peocessing/documentation fee!) Any costs being shown for transfer would be a good negotiating point to reduce the cost of the car.

I like to actually see and drive the vehicle prior to the purchase so I have decided to buy only from a dealer that had my choice on their lot. If you agree on a transfer, you should have your dealer verify the mileage on the car being transfered to you.

Sorry, I can't help on your question concerning the cars that the dealer may have on order. And they may not know the exact cars until shortly prior to receiving them. It would be nice to know this information but I don't think this is something that the dealer would like to provide you. They like to get their existing cars off of the lot first.

I
  • Options
    WWW.PENFED.ORG How does 3.99% for 60 months sound to you???? Got to have great credit of course. But you can join for less than $40 including starting an account with a $5 deposit. This will be a lower rate given the long term, up to 5 years, than you will probably see from Honda if and when they return. They will even do it for used cars. Giving away all my secrets today.
  • Options
    jodiepjodiep Member Posts: 1
    acadia-can you tell me which chicago deal you got this price at? We are planning to purchase this car this week. We were out sat at the honda on wells in chicago and they quoted $41,000!!! for the 2010 FWD Touring with NAV and RES.

He even had a 2009 with NAV no RES that was slightly used with 4,500 miles and quoted us $36,000!
  • Options
    jodiep--we got several quotes in MI for a 4WD touring with nav/res for invoice plus destination. Best price we found so far, so may be worth the 1-2hr drive. Also, just got off with another dealer who said that some incentives for financing were released today.
  • Options
    jb_turnerjb_turner Member Posts: 702
    If you are shopping using quotes from the internet you will not get the best price because they know you are shopping for quotes. Dealers know the serious shoppers visit them.
  • Options
    jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    Maybe honda wants you to buy an accord or civic -- better for the mpg bottom line game. Very little support for med-large foreign suv's. 4k on an explorer - not rated bad. Loaded eddie bauer-leather awd roof-- 28k or less.
  • Options
    techminetechmine Member Posts: 18
    I am absolutely honest about what I paid. 32,400 for 09 EX-L with RES. This price is OTD.
    I really DO NOT represent any dealer :)
  • Options
    May I ask what state did you buy your car in?
  • Options
    techminetechmine Member Posts: 18
    Texas
    Freeman Honda - Dallas.
  • Options
    curtecurte Member Posts: 4
    Just wanted to give an update...I was able to get the following on July 2nd...been out of town. Picked up the car that night and then headed out for the beach a few days later - btw, my wife loves her new pilot and it did very well on our 5hr ride with a 9-month old and 7-yr old.

2010 Pilot Touring 2WD with RES and NAV
    Price with premium running boards with lights and cross bars installed = $36,398
    Tax, tag and dealer fees $624 for a total of $37,022 OTD

I was a bit reluctant with this deal - it was the first pure internet/email car shopping experience for me. I was worried that the numbers would be different once I showed up in person at the dealership. I recommend Hendrick Honda of Easley, SC. The numbers were exactly the same as presented during the negotiations. Also, they found the color and had the car ready for delivery in about 24 hrs.
  • Options
    set173set173 Member Posts: 1
    Anybody have any good quotes for a used 2009 touring w/NAV and RES? Internet prices seem to be on the high side ~35.8K for 12000 miles. Anyone have any better luck?