Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Honda Pilot Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    sweetrivrbanessweetrivrbanes Member Posts: 4
    I paid Florida state tax, and had to pay local taxes back in my state...

$39355 List Price
    ($3449.21) Discount
    $35905.79 Sale Price
    $6.50 FL law -  Waste Tire Lead Acid Battery Fee
    $299 Dealer Fee
    $24.00 Electronic Tag Filing Fee
    $36235.29 Subtotal
    $724.71 (2% Sales tax)
    $38.00 Tag Fee
    $37000 Total Out the Door
  • Options
    hondapilotexlhondapilotexl Member Posts: 10
    Well it's cash for the dealer when you get loan on your own from other financial institutions.
    I negotiated the price first and then told them I am paying by cashier's check.
  • Options
    ggombosggombos Member Posts: 18
    I paid Florida state tax, and had to pay local taxes back in my state...
    $39355 List Price
    ($3449.21) Discount
    $35905.79 Sale Price
    $6.50 FL law - Waste Tire Lead Acid Battery Fee
    $299 Dealer Fee
    $24.00 Electronic Tag Filing Fee
    $36235.29 Subtotal
    $724.71 (2% Sales tax)
    $38.00 Tag Fee
    $37000 Total Out the Door

Thanks for the clarification, that makes sense. Based on the differences everyone has on dealer fees, tax rates, etc it seems what you posted is probably what I and everyone should post. By the way I hope my earlier post didn't come across as accusatory as that was not my intent. Again thanks much for the clarification and hope you enjoy your new ride!
  • Options
    cubraincubrain Member Posts: 11
    Wow! Are you sure that's for a 2010 EX-L? That's a great deal if you can a 2010 EX-L for $32k OTD. I'm trying get one in the Dallas area and dealers won't even talk to me when I offer them $33,000 OTD.

Anyone in the Dallas, TX area that bought a 2010 EX-L recently please let me know your purchase price and where. Thanks.
  • Options
    kingfans1kingfans1 Member Posts: 137
    hi lufaca i assume $26k is for 2 wd. which dealer in ca ? thats still a Good deal. $4000 off. i need some advise from other people. i need a 4wd.. should i Get a crv or pilot??
  • Options
    tutttutt Member Posts: 11
    hi Cubrain:
    I am looking for a 2010 EXL pilot in Dallas area too, similar to your case, the lowest price dealer asking is around 34000 for OTD including everything. While there are some useless dress up in the car which cost more than 1000. Probably it is not the good time to buy a Pilot in these days.
    tutt
  • Options
    maverixmaverix Member Posts: 21
    Anybody lately took a delivery of 2010 Pilot EX-L in NJ ? Any dealership recommendations. I tried to drive in to the dealerships old fashioned way. Except Openroad, couple of others do not even have a 2010 EX-l in their lot. Then I decided to call and get some info before I go. I have been waiting for close to a week now and no responses. :mad:
    I have a feeling the inventories are pretty low. is it a bad time to be in the market?

What's the OTD number you got? and where? Thx for your input
  • Options
    rsav1rsav1 Member Posts: 3
    I am looking to purchase a 2010 Honda Pilot EX 2WD and seem to be stuck on the following out the door price $ 31,000. My trade in is worth about $1,500 which brings the cash amount due to 29,500. I live in south florida , so my tax rate is 6.50 %
    Is this a good price or should I try for a lower price. It seems the prices are climbing
    every couple of weeks or so and I am not making much headway in negotiations.
  • Options
    ladriver1ladriver1 Member Posts: 3
    If you're in Southern California, I highly recommend Galpin Honda. They had more Pilot's (and CRV's if you go that way), than all the other LA dealers combined. My salesman was Rafael Rodriguez and I was very happy with everything. After I got the Pilot, it was getting late, so I didn't really feel like staying to go over all the features. So, he offered to come to my work (about 45 minutes away) and show me everything the next day.
  • Options
    leoskeeleoskee Member Posts: 7
    Ive been getting quotes on a EX-L Pilot with RES for the last week. The best figure I have gotten so far is $37,500 OTD. I would be getting it at $34,260.12 which is supposedly invoice plus destination charge. And this is after working with a total of 8 dealerships. They are all coming in between $100 to $400 of each other. They are also not budging from invoice price.

I dont feel right with that price. I know there has to be a better deal out there in Jersey. The problem is that all of the dealerships are saying that same thing: Inventory is low and we dont know when we will be getting more vehicles or that the CFC program wiped them out of inventory.
  • Options
    cubraincubrain Member Posts: 11
    Hi Tutt,

Yes, they claim they added all these things and marked it up over 200%. For example, those pin stripes that they charge $295. My brother-in-law work for a honda body shop and he told me it cost around $40 to put it on.

Maybe we should go in together. They might give us a better deal.

Let me know if you're able to get a good deal.
  • Options
    carwarcarwar Member Posts: 1
    You are right something is just not correct in the Tristate area. I can see some great deals in different part of the country but not in this area. It may be the low inventory or it may be the profits made out of CFC program.
    Now what happened with me is more interesting, One of the dealers agreed on mail at a price of 37,625 OTD. I tried reaching that guy on phone and left number of messages but did not got any response. So I tried reaching them a different way through a buyers program. Got his manager to call me and his explanation is that the OTD is total cost for the car and I will have to add for tax, doc and dmv fees to it. This brings the price to 40K something. This is 2010 touring with RES.
    Can someone please help me understand what OTD is because I definitely have a different understanding of OTD, that is the Out the Door price that includes everything that you have to pay to the dealer.
  • Options
    lufacalufaca Member Posts: 31
    My answer is: OTD stands for OUT THE DOOR. It means you paid that and no more. It should include all the extras the dealer claimed has put on the car.
    L
  • Options
    I agree with there being something wrong in the Tri State Area. I dont understand how there is such a difference in deals around the country. The one thing that several dealers had in common was that they mentioned low inventory being an issue.

On a different note I was able to get a dealer to agree to $36,000 out the door for an EX-L w/ RES. After looking at the numbers I still did not feel like it was a true deal so I am waiting. I plan on trying again at the end of the month and seeing if I can get a better price.

The thing that is killing me is the posting of much lower prices paid in other parts of the US. I can't bring myself to pay 2-3K more just because I live in NJ.

As far as OTD: It means that the price agreed to is the price paid including all taxes and fees. So dont let them try to scam you. Anyone in the car business knows what it stands for!
  • Options
    twin22twin22 Member Posts: 8
    What dealer in south floirda did you get the quote? I also live in south floirda the best quote i got on a 2010 EX is 32,000.
  • Options
    edm111edm111 Member Posts: 11
    I ended up pruchasing Mazda 09 AWD Sport with PWR Driver Seat, heated seat package from Crystal Auto Mall in NJ for 25,000 + 300(Doc Fees) + TAX and Title. I would have loved the touring but they don't have any.

I was in between 2010 Honda PILOT EXL for 33,000 + TTL or this one.

As it is saving a lot of money and adding the same value which can fit 7 passengers I pulled the trigger on Mazda. I really hoped Honda would have given a better price.
  • Options
    tutttutt Member Posts: 11
    Cubrain:

It seems the dealers in Dallas area are too greedy. OTD price of 33000 – 33300 is reasonable price for a 2010 EXL Pilot w/o DVD even with the added accessories since all these cost around 200. Like you said all these are marked up over 200% and most of these are useless.
    The followings are from a dealer in Dallas.
    Tinted Protection Package (cargo tray, splash guards, wheel locks) $799
    Door edge guards $299
    Window tint $299
    Hand Painted Pin stripe: $299.

It is hard to say in near time if we can have a good deal on Pilot in Dallas, probably other cars like 4Runer, Highlander are choices too.

Thanks and keep in touch.

Tutt
  • Options
    bkbankerbkbanker Member Posts: 6
    I am in Southern California and want to buy a Pilot. I appreciate the recommendation on dealer and salesman. Would you mind sharing what you ended up with on price and features?
  • Options
    tommytootommytoo Member Posts: 2
    Which dealer in NJ did you get quoted $36k OTD? Im looking for the same model and the best price I got quoted was $33,771 before tax and fees so would be $36,135 with tax only.
  • Options
    edm11 ,
    Did you have a dealer in NJ quote you 33,000 + title like you mentioned above for a 2010 Honda EXL Pilot ? Where at? And was this recently....

Guys

The update from my weekend efforts in NJ is that :
    lowest price: 31, 600 + 710(dest charge)
    Doc - $300 + tax and title additional $$$.
    Highest Price: 32,900 + 710 +doc + tax and title

I think its a bit expensive by 2 to 3 K like one of the other posts. Am I totally off here. None of the guys had even atleast two EX-L for sale. They say they have a couple of them on the lot but some one put a deposit already and they are waiting for delivery. So the impression was sales guys were in no hurry to make a deal :(
  • Options
    danpilotdanpilot Member Posts: 1
    Any one in cleveland-Akron- Columbus area bought a new Pilot in this area?

I am in market to buy Honda 2010 Pilot 4WD EX-L and hoping if someone can give me a direction with price.

Thanks in advance
  • Options
    ladriver1ladriver1 Member Posts: 3
    I don't have the paperwork with me, but I bought a 4WD Touring with RES. I ended up at $500 over invoice, but also got them up and extra $1000 on my trade (which is significant considering it's condition and value). I also got my first choice in color (Polished Metal Metallic, which a vehicle search showed there were only 3 total with the same options for sale in the state).

I'm still blown away at how bad the selection is right now in Southern California. I tried 8 other dealerships near me, and couldn't come close to finding the vehicle I wanted. And I was even flexible between 2WD and 4WD. But I did want Black interior and RES.

I went to Van Nuys on Wednesday night and they only had one touring model on the lot (white/tan), but they told me they could locate one and would call me the next day (I didn't hear back until Friday). Thursday morning I went to North Hollywood, because they told me on the phone that they had a black/black touring model. We walked the lot and couldn't find it. Finally, they realized that the owner had taken it (not the white/tan that he checked out on the books, and was also sitting right outside the door). They didn't even offer to call and see if he'd sell it. They also promised to call me in a couple hours, after they located a vehicle for me -- didn't hear back from them until Saturday (and even then they said it would be another day or two).

When I got to Galpin, they had several Pilots with different trims on the lot.

Anyway, I just noticed that we're not suppose to give salespeople's names, so if you have more question, you can email me at bigoljerk@aol.com
  • Options
    Let me make the deal first and then I will give you the info. I dont want to burn my bridges before getting to the other side.

I did get in contact with a different dealership who told me that the offer might just be a lure because the numbers I sent him worked out for an 09 Pilot and not for any 2010 that he could find in his database. He also told me there was not way he could match the price without taking a loss. On top of that he said that the North East will probably not see any new Pilots until mid Dec to Jan.

I think that if he wanted the sale bad enough he would have at least offered to match. Back to what everyone else is saying: dealers are not making deals right now and inventory is dwindling.

I hope that is not the case. I'll let you guys know on Sat.
  • Options
    bashinbashin Member Posts: 27
    I am looking to acquire a Pilot Touring with RES. What prices are people finding out there?

Thanks!
  • Options
    pilotorcx9pilotorcx9 Member Posts: 1
    genocist:

That's a fantastic price. I'm also in MD. Do you might sharing the dealership and salesperson info? Thank you.
  • Options
    desmonsmdesmonsm Member Posts: 48
    My local dealer in Albuquerque has 3 09 EX-L 4WD's in stock. Invoice is around 32K from what I've read. Factoring a years worth of depreciation, what should I target for an OTD price? We're also considering an 09 Acura RDX w/Technology Pckg (invoice: $34k and change) and a base 10 Acura RDX. I think we can get either of the RDX's for around $31k.
  • Options
    edm111edm111 Member Posts: 11
    You can see my previous posting...

It is Paramus Honda, it is two weeks ago. I also heard about not having a stock.. and it seems that they want more for each vehicle now.
  • Options
    am_washdcam_washdc Member Posts: 2
    2009 Pilot Touring DVD 2 WD demo

paid 34800 + Tax + Tag+ title + 399 Processing Fees

4K miles .demo . Va Dealer
  • Options
    albert72albert72 Member Posts: 200
    Has anyone tried to send emails to some dealers telling them what you want and that you will buy in the next 3 days? I did that when I leased my Accord in 07 and got it below invoice at a time when invoice was considered the lowest price.

Also - give the dealers another few weeks - they are still on a CFC high. I think they are also trying to give the impression they are not dealing right now which is BS. Honda (Acura volume included) is off 20% this year. Once you get your best deal online, see if you can beat it face to face. Once you have your checkbook out, they will bite. If not the first dealer, the second.

Good luck

PS - anyone heard of problems with the Pilot's engine?
  • Options
    On that note of sales being down...

http://online.wsj.com/mdc/public/page/2_3022-autosales.html#autosalesE

Look at the sales numbers for Honda truck/suv and Mini vans. Some of the guys on a different forum(odyssey forum on this site) were suggesting the rebates might make a comeback in Nov. Hope it is true....
    I know its wishful thinking, dont jump on me for that ;)
  • Options
    mirrodie1mirrodie1 Member Posts: 25
    Looking at

$32995 on a 2010 EX-L AWD. I am being told that is "at invoice" but looking at kbb.com and edmunds, invoice is $32814.

According to truecar.com, its a good price.
  • Options
    am_washdcam_washdc Member Posts: 2
    2009 Pilot Touring DVD 2 WD demo

paid 34800 + Tax + Tag+ title + 399 Processing Fees

4K miles .demo . Va Dealer
  • Options
    xetownxetown Member Posts: 10
    what do you guys think? That's close to our target and research from Truecar.
  • Options
    mms5mms5 Member Posts: 19
    That sounds pretty good. I looked it up on Consumer Reports price report and they say MSRP is 35, 965. They take off $1250 for dealer cash and another $706 for dealer holdback. That comes out to $30683 which is close to what you are getting. I don't know what other special things were added to yours. Good luck. I am impressed you found a 2009.
  • Options
    mirrodie1,

sounds good. Costco price in Norcal was 33150. And dealer wouldn't budge lower.
  • Options
    mms5,

Yeah, that was the emailed offer from a few dealers in the northern cali region. All strictly Internet queries. Very little effort.

I think I can squeeze some more in person at month end. I'm sure they're looking to unload with all the 2010s coming in.
  • Options
    pauliscpaulisc Member Posts: 3
    There is hope out there!

I've been conducting research (Edmunds, Truecar, CarBuyingTips, etc) on various 4WD/AWD 3rd row SUVs and had narrowed it down to the 2010 Pilot 4WD Touring w/Nav and a comparably equipped Mazda CX-9 AWD Grand Touring for several months. My wife preferred the Honda name and associated reliability, while I preferred the CX-9 and its sportier nature (even though I tried to explain to the wife that the Honda is actually made in North America, while the CX-9 is manufactured in Japan).
    Even though I was using the update of the fax attack using e-mails to generate RFQ’s for the model, trim, and acceptable color combinations (Blue, Black, Red, or Silver) to reach as many dealers in as little time, like most of the visitors to the forum, finding a 2010 Pilot Touring IN STOCK was very disappointing (thank you Cash for Clunkers for wiping out supply and increasing demand = bad for me).
    Since today was a lousy, rainy day, I decided to phone the dealers nearest to me that had not responded back to see if they had any in stock. Now that I was armed with at least some quotes as a baseline, if they did have some in stock, I could throw out a number to see if they would accept my bid.

After contacting 3 dealers near me, as luck would have it, a dealer that I had been corresponding with earlier through e-mails (he had a Blue color, but it was a 4WD Touring with RSE) had a brand new Alabaster Silver 4WD Touring with Nav available. I told him that his e-mail offer was close, but that I needed a little reduction. We went back-and-forth over the phone, but we finally agreed on a price and that I wanted to come down and make a deal once I had looked over the car.
    When we got to the dealership, I looked over the car and I was pleasantly surprise that they had just taken delivery of it the day before and that it was so brand new, that the car had not even gone thru the normal dealer-prep that the dealer places on all of their models (i.e. standard wheel locks and pin stripping).

So here are the details on my purchase;
    2010 Honda Pilot 4WD Touring w/ Nav (Silver with Grey interior)
    - Negotiated price = $ 35,196
    - Freight = $ 710
    - Dealer Processing fee = $ 99
    - Sales Tax (6% in MD) = $ 2,160.30
    - Title, Tags (Maryland) = $ 274
    - Total OTD PRICE = $38,439.30
    Good Luck everyone.
  • Options
    fib77fib77 Member Posts: 10
    Hello Paulisc,

I am in the DC area too. Please provide the name of the dealership and if possible the name of the salesperson. Thanks very much.
  • Options
    I know the 2009 financing is 2.9% for up to 60 months through Honda Finance.

What are good rates out there and from what institution for 2010?
  • Options
    edmu1edmu1 Member Posts: 3
    edm111, Could you mention the name of your salesperson at crystal? Thanks.
  • Options
    papilot1papilot1 Member Posts: 3
    Bank of America is 3.75% right now. I got 4% last week.
  • Options
    There does not seem to be a good selection in Philly area, but we did find the one we wanted at a fair price. We had a terrible experience at Conicelli in Conshohoken. They used every cheap sales trick in the book and weren't willing to give us a serious discount. Three hours waste.
    Keanan in Doylestown, on the other hand, were very proffesional and after a few days of negotiating we agreed on a fair price. Actually, i think we could have done a little better but the color we wanted is very scarce right now, so we didn't want to risk losing it over a couple hundred dollars.
  • Options
    4% based on how long please? If you dont mind sharing....

2010 Honda Pilot EX-L

Speaking of sharing, that quote of $32995 I stated earlier was a lowball ploy. Upon going to pick it up today, I was told the sales person was going to *try* to get me the car for $32995 but they held firm to $33564.

On Long Island, that is the going rate. I have been to 3 Honda dealerships on this model and they all quoted $33564 (that includes one of them being in the Costco buyers program.)
  • Options
    pauliscpaulisc Member Posts: 3
    Fib,

The dealership was MileOne's Heritage Honda of Parkville. Our experience was very pleseant nd as long as you conduct your homework, you should be able to do a good deal.
  • Options
    carturocarturo Member Posts: 3
    Hi, I've heard that the '09 financing offer expires soon. Anyone have insight on whether a '10 incentive will be appearing?
  • Options
    The loan was for 60 months.
  • Options
    wow, gonna give them a ring. That is really much better than what I have seen. WOW.

THanks!
  • Options
    So here is the breakdown of the deal I was able to get for the Pilot I bought an hour ago in NJ:

OTD Price: $36,100 for 2010 Pilot EX-L w/ RES

Vehicle price: $32,415.75
    Delivery: $710
    Tax: $2,318.75 (@7%)
    Title and Reg: $399
    Doc Fees: $249
    Tire Fee: $7.50

I shopped around and got quotes in the area of $37,500. No one would budge. I sent in an offer for $36,000 OTD and Hudson Honda said it was a go. I tried to get a lower price by sending the quote to other dealers and they did not budge. All other dealers told me that they were playing games with me and that it would be impossible for them to sell at that price. I called before going to make sure the deal was on the table and I walked out of there a very happy man. I tried to get some accessories out of the deal but the finance manager told me that he would have to let me walk at that point because he was not making anything on the vehicle. I did get pinstriping thrown in. The $100 difference was an error on their part because they quoted me $299 for title and reg. I didn't fight it because I got what I wanted and was able to stay way below my budget.

The crazy part of the story is that they sold me a car that they dont even have yet. I wanted silver w/ black interior and they did not have any in stock. Their expected delivery date is the first week of Nov. Its only one of 3 that they were able to get for the beginning of Nov. The sales guy showed me his order sheet and said that Honda is not shipping out Pilots at this time because the supply is not meeting the demand and production has slowed down due to the market.
  • Options
    tommytootommytoo Member Posts: 2
    Thats a great price you got. Im in NJ and also looking for the exact model. Can you post what the salesmans name at Hudson that you dealt with. Is it possible to email me a copy of the receipt or proof of the price so I can use it to get other dealers to price match it. Let me know and ill give you my email address. TIA.
  • Options
    mms5mms5 Member Posts: 19
    Hi, I finally took the plunge and am picking up my 2WD touring tomorrow. It is polished metal with black interior. It doesn't have a RES. 2WD Touring seemed to be hard to find in Northern Virginia. Thanks to everyone on these boards. I have learned so much. I am happy with the price.

Final price is...

$33,482.53 Sales Price
    710 Freight
    349 Processing Fee
    63.50 VA tags
    1094.97 VA Tax 3%
    $35, 700 Out the door

This includes wheel locks and all season floor mats.