Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Malibu Maxx

Comments

• logic1logic1 Member Posts: 2,433
    Let me know how to do that. I know Sony has something I can access, but I am not sure how good it is. I have not tried to use it yet either, and I do not know how well it will work.
  • magnetophonemagnetophone Member Posts: 605
    Well, if you can get your pictures into JPG form, you can put them anywhere. You should use your iPhoto more often!
    I have this strange mental block when it comes to photographs.

I spent three years of my life in Hong Kong, London and Brazil yet have narry a photograph to show for it.

I am an iTunes volume user though. Maybe that makes up for things -- at least as far as Apple is concerned.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Where in Brazil?

In a lame attempt to bring this back on topic, GM do Brasil has just one division - Chevrolet. So all the Opels that make it there are badged as Chevys.

-juice
    In the hills outside Mogi das Cruzes in SP state. Frankly, I think the Maxx with its hatch design would be a popular car with the upper middle class Brasilieros.
    The Opel Meriva, which is a mini-minivan about the size of a Ford Fusion, was partially designed by Chevy do Brasil. Apparently the show car had the tackiest, most garish interior trim - multicolored seats (they may have even been checkered) and bright colors. The European press made it clear that the Brazilian design themes won't make it over to Europe.
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    Do we get official pictures of the Maxx today?

I still have not seen anything on the web.
    I have not seen anything either. Somewhat confusing. There certainly were a lot of news reports saying the Maxx launch would be at the Chicago Show.
    Brazilians clearly have a unique sense of design.

My wife and I are involved in a never ending cold war as to the design of the house. Fortunately, I like Brazilian music, as she and her sister have the audio going from the minute they wake.

Still, we are not suggesting Europeans dictate global taste now, are we? In South America and Asia, there are many unique automotive design themes. I may not one in my garage, but part of me is happy to know someone wants one in their's.
    I'm from Recife, in the Northeast.

I agree that the Maxx would be popular there. The Maxx is far better looking than the Citroen Xsara Picasso or the Renault Megane Scenic.

Europe is hit or miss. The Alfa 156 is one of the most gorgeous sedans on the planet, but the vans they make (Fiat Doblo, Renault Kangoo) make the Aztek look pretty.

The Fusion will be called the EcoSport in Brazil, but oddly it'll only come in FWD. So it might even compete with the Maxx.

-juice
    The Fusion will be much, much smaller than the Maxx...being based off the Fiesta. While I'd like to see the Meriva in America, my guess is it will not make it here because it's been contented to a higher level, and therefore wouldn't be profitable in a market that regards small cars as economic.

Europe doesn't "dictate" luxury. But whether we like it or not, even Brazil has its fair share of European-centric concepts and style. This may be due to cultural hegemony, but I'd dare say that Europe really does dictate the styles and concepts of the automobile industry, if not the dollars.
    I have not seen anything anywhere (Toronto or Chicago). I'm guessing it's not coming till New York then. Maybe all the Daewoo Chevy's took it's place.
    BMW and Mercedes, maybe.

The EcoSport isn't that small at all - it's almost as big as an Escape. It probably trades some length for extra height when compared to the Maxx.

-juice
    I guess the Fusion is different, then.
  • odmanodman Member Posts: 309
    Ateixeira's comments about Picasso and Scenic styling as well as the Meriva makes me think about what a very different concept the Signum/Maxx is. The monocabs like the Picasso, Scenic, Zafira and Stream are more city minivans -- ideal for slower-paced driving in cramped European cities.

I think the Maxx may be more of a highway car, better for driving at higher speeds on highways. Both offer more utility than conventional sedans/hatches, but whereas monocabs arrange their space vertically, the Maxx/Signum relies more on horizontal space. The latter tends to be preferred more in North America.
  • maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    I sent an e-mail to Chevrolet inquiring about the malibu maxx last Sunday at 3pm. I got an answer 1 hour later. Pretty impressive for any time, but especially for a Sunday. GM gave me the usual answer stating that any future car information is kept confidential, and that my dealer would be the first to have information. Well, that certainly isn't true. The first to have information is from the good people at Edmunds. I hope if any of you finds the maxx at one of the auto shows, that you will let me know the following: I have pretty long legs, and need to know if this car is worth waiting for. There are so few cars built in the world that a 6'1 guy can fit comfortably in. If you have an opportunity to get in one, let me know how the leg room is. If you say it is bad, I probably will go buy a second Vibe, which not only do I fit in, but it is a Corolla in disguise!
    (auto show that is)

If it is not at Toronto, looks as though GM may be holding it for New York.
  • wpbharrywpbharry Member Posts: 399
    If you haven't already, log on to www.chevy.com/fullthrottle, fill in the requested info (I told them 7-12 mos. until purchase and Honda Accord as the other vehicle I'm considering) and you should receive the first brochure on the '04 Bu quickly (Chevy Fed-X Overnighted mine!!). The brochure doesn't cover the Maxx however, since that'll follow the sedan by 3-4 months.

Legroom is the same as in my '98 LS and is a bit cramped for my 6'2" body. I've complained twice in the other forum about this... The Maxx will have a somewhat longer wheelbase, but bet all of the extra room goes into the rear seat area.

I wholeheartedly agree with the posting re: the rear-only sunroof. Sounds like kiddie-mobile for sure. Is that what you want it to be Chevy??? If that doesn't change, count me out.
    Outback moonroofs have a similar problem - there are two, but the front only tilts, only the rear one opens (above the tots).

I got a plain Legacy and put a single, bigger moonroof in front, which I prefer.

-juice
    Geez, I'm beginning to think this car will never be brought to the USA seeing how few postings there are. I just might have to change my pen name, and dream of some other car. Anybody heard any update on the Maxx??
  • vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    hehe well there is always the Mazda 6 wagon. Another baby-SUV alternative that will be fun to drive unlike a baby-SUV.
    ugh, well if you see my 626 postings, you'd see that I have sworn off Mazda for good. I am not happy with the way the 6's engine is layed out, and knowing Ford is lurking in there somewhere...; I also cannot change the oil on the 6. As for the Maxx, I'm hoping GM makes it nice and roomy for drivers, has a telescoping steering wheel, makes oil changes a breeze, has diamonds and rubies in the glove compartment.....oh, am I dreaming again?
    The Malibu sedan is set to debut around August this year. Realistically, you should expect to see the Maxx hitting the stores around this time next year.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    ...and the Mazda6 wagon will have been out for a few weeks or will be coming out about the same time.
    thanks for the info. I'll try to keep my "Ford" 626 running until then. Now if someone who owns the Opel Signum would only tell me how the driver's side legroom is, I'd be in heaven.
    there is a French man who posts in News and Views. I'll post a message and ask if he knows anyone who owns a Signum who might want to post on Edmunds.
    When is the NY Auto Show? I think the Maxx will debut there (sorry for using the french word).
    Thanks logic1. I hope you have luck finding him; and I hope the maxx appears at some show soon. I'm beginning to think the car does not exist: he, he, he
  • macrosonicmacrosonic Member Posts: 10
    For those that haven't found the site yet, the NY Auto Show is at http://www.autoshowny.com/ The show starts April 18th.

I was thinking of getting a 2004 Vibe, but wanted to get more info on the Maxx. Finding any real info on it has been more than frustrating. First they said Detroit in January, then Chicago in February... Now it's April. What a tease! :-)
    Thanks for the NYAS posting. Unfortunately, I do not see the Maxx listed anywhere. Does anyone know for certain if it will appear at NY, and is anyone going? I'd love a report by anyone who has long legs on the Maxx's driver's seat leg room. Thanks in advance.
    I'll be going. I'll take my camera. Last year was a lot of fun.

They don't let you crawl inside the latest cars, though, that's the only catch.

-juice
    It is possible the Maxx is going to NY without being announced. GM likes to pull surprises at auto shows. Still, I am waiting for the announcements.
    Is there any big north american autoshow after new york? They've passed Detroit, LA, Chicago, and Toronto. My guess is that the Maxx will be in the NY show if only because there's no influential show left for north america for 2003.

I'm also hoping (with no info, just my guess) that the delays are from Lutz and crew improving the design. They've delayed other cars that they felt weren't reflecting the 'new' GM. Anybody heard any rumors?
    Is the last big show of the year. Used to be the automakers did not launch any new vehicles in the NYAS. The show has become more significant lately.
    Yep, most later shows are just re-runs of what has already been shown at the big ones.

-juice
    Looking forward to the pics.

Anyone know if the Maxx is definitely coming to NY? I figure it must be, it's the last big show of the spring and the BU comes to dealers in September,
    The sedan will be available this fall, but I heard the maxx won't be available until december or even early next year.
    But if the maxx comes out in January or later, wouldn't GM list it as a 2005 model? Anyone know if it will definitely be a 2004 model?
    Either way I would think it should be in the NY show this month.
    thanks macrosonic. You give me a ray of hope; now if one of you NY bound people can sneak me your opinion on the interior leg room. I really don't need pictures since Edmonds has enough of those on their futures page.
    Funny though; when you go to the official website, the Maxx does not appear anywhere. Should I be worried?
    http://www.autoshowny.com/
    Click on the link for New Vehicle Gallery, there's one gallery for "New York Debuts" that's currently empty. It just says to come back April 16th. So I would hold off worrying until then. :-)

As for the photos in Edmunds now, they're the Opel that the Maxx will be similar too, but the styling will be Chevrolized. I'm hoping they make it a bit more sporty than the the Opel is. We will see.
    I'm going on the 18th. If the Maxx is there I'll check it out, try to get inside. I'm curious about rear seat and cargo space, because it appears to be small but the specs say otherwise.

-juice
    Thanks juice. Just smile for the pretty girl, and she'll let you in, guaranteed. I agree macrosonic; I hope they make it a bit more sporty as well. It just kills me to miss out on the current $3000 off of a Vibe. If "juice" says the legroom is tight, then I'm off to buy my second Vibe. Juice: I'm 6'1 for comparison sake. Thanks a bunch. Have a great time at the show.
    that I will be in New York the last weekend of April while the show is still going on. Think I might make some time to head on over to the Javits Center if the Maxx and some other nice debuts are there.
    thumbs up logic1. Safe travels which ever way you are headed.
    I will bring my digital camera (as I did for Chicago). With luck we can have some actual pictures here by the end of the month.

GM and auto shows is always dicey. Have to hope though.
    reports that the Maxx will be in New York.

Of course TCC also reported the Maxx was to be in Chicago. Either they are right this time or not afraid to make the same goof twice.
    Not sure about the 18th for NY, looks like the show only opens to the public at noon. It'll be the following week if we don't go on the 18th, though.

-juice
    however an article today in the local paper said the Maxx will be available either in the 4th quater this year of first quarter next year. Sounds as though GM is moving this faster than originally planned. Good.
    They should move all their launches up, GM needs some good new product ASAP.

Wish the Equinox was coming sooner also.