Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Ford F-150 SUPERCREW

Comments

• Options
    h1vch1vc Member Posts: 295
    Thanks. When you say down do you mean away from the seat? I have it towards the seat and I experience problems, never tried it in other positions. Have you experienced the starting problem before? Thanks.
  • Options
    emaleemale Member Posts: 1,380
    when i say down i mean closest to the firewall, or the vertical portion of the floor just behind the pedals. i suppose that would be the same as furthest from the seat. mine has always started fine, unless i accidentally push the accelerator before starting, then it cranks just a little longer before it fires up...
  • Options
    buckmaster1buckmaster1 Member Posts: 20
    I traded in a 2001 gmc sierra xcab with 6500 miles 4wd and 5.3 engine for a new black 2001 supercrew with a 5.4 and I love this truck.The gmc had a fun engine that was a bit peppier off the line when the truck was empty, but it struggled more when towing compared to the outstanding torque of the 5.4, which suprised me.I always thought I understood the difference of horsepower and torque but after owning both of these trucks I really experienced it firsthand.I test drove a gmc Crew with a 6.0 liter and it was a piece of underpowered crap empty,so loaded up or towing it s a real loser.Besided it was 37 grand and did not fit in a garage or handle well at all.Love my supercrew!!
  • Options
    txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    swapping my 2001 Sierra for a S'Crew. I don't tow or haul (except [non-permissible content removed]). I was reasonably impressed with the way the 5.4 ran, although when I drove one I still had my '99 4.8 GMC. I might not feel that way going from a 5.3 to the 5.4. The problem I had was that no matter what adjustments I made it never felt as comfortable to me as my Sierra. I do like the shorter wheelbase, and it fit under my 22' carport much better. Had all SWB reg. cabs until my '99 and still can't get used to the extra length. Good luck with your S'Crew.
  • Options
    swampcollieswampcollie Member Posts: 87
    my second extended hunting trip with my super crew..got it in september, and unlike many of you i did not get it as a family vehicle...mine is up and grown... i got it to hunt out of. It makes a great hunting rig...you can keep your guns and other gear in the truck with you and the wet dog is in back (under a matching camper shell).. my son and I just got back from 2 days of pheasent hunting and the truck was just perfect for the application...
    If, like me, you are a hunter and looking in here to help decide what to get, this truck fills the bill perfectly... my only complaint is that I wish they had not rounded off the back end like the stepside, but squared it like the fleetside.. you cannot see the back end of the truck in your mirrors... does make it difficult for backing up to your trailer..
    I have a 4x4, 5.4 engine, 3.55 gearing and limited slip... I would not have bought the cd changer, but i was buying a 2001 in september of this year and this one had everything else i wanted..so i got the changer and now i never listen to the radio..
    we got 17.5 mpg on the trip and I was happy with that..
    I keep trying to decide if it has a slight pull to the right... just when I think that yeah it does..then I decide it is fine..
    great rig and I highly recommend it.
    oh..by the way..if you are getting a 4x4, be sure and measure your garage height..i almost got the off road package when it dawned on me that i better do some measuring... it would not have made it in my garage so i got the standard 4.4..
    the ride is incredible for a 4 wheel drive truck.. i now travel to my hunting in total comfort..
    this morning when we came out of the motel there was a little sleet and some ice on the road... when i started the truck, the temp led in the overhead console said..."ice"... we were astounded..how the hell did it know?... now I think that it must say that anytime the temp hits freezing... but, it sure had us guessing for a while..
  • Options
    bowhuntwibowhuntwi Member Posts: 262
    http://www.picturetrail.com of my Super crew, plus still got pictures of the Super Duty....check them out......
  • Options
    whalercatwhalercat Member Posts: 40
    I currently have an 01 supercrew 4x4 Lariat which I have had almost 2 yrs now (I had the first one in town) and am very happy with. However, b/c my family is growing, I am considering moving up the the SD CC 4x4 Lariat shortbed. Since you had both, how about contrasting them in terms of ride, handling, parking, MPG (unless yours was diesel), towing, etc.
  • Options
    The SD is the king of the beasts, what can I say, I had a 5.4 in mine which was fine for what I was doing, unless you are going to be pulling alot it will be fine. If you will be pulling look at the V10 or the PSD. I usually got close to 16mpg loaded on the highway, round town -13, as for parking you need room parking lots suddenly become small, drive thru are hard to manage if you got curbs. The ride is a little stiffer, but your sitting on a differant frame then the 150. The interior room is larger then any other truck.
    The only thing I towed was my boat weighing in at 4000#. So I didn't tow alot for what a SD is built for. I do at times miss the brute, but I'm adjusting. The SD sits higher, so measure your garage door, my skimmed under by a 1 1/2 " plus the length, it's about 2 feet longer then your SCrew. I hear they are redoing it in 2003 and offering a diesel, so you might be able to get a decent deal somewhere. The best thing you can do is test drive one, or rent one for the weekend and really test it..Let me know if you want anything else.
  • Options
    the owners manual shows that my interior light switch has the ability to turn off inside lights like when the door is open... a position all the way past the dimmest..however, my switch does not do that..before I have them look at it during the next service, does everyone else have that mode on that switch?
  • Options
    reybeastreybeast Member Posts: 35
    I have a problem where the engine rpms shoot up to about 1900-2000 in the morning, but comes back down immediately. It used to do this only in the morning, but I took it to Covert Ford in Austin and they did something because now it does more often. I would say 3 of 5 starts, many times even after the truck has been driven around town. I took it to another dealer and they have replaced multiple sensors and something called the IAC, but it still does it. Any ideas? I feel this is going to wear out the engine that much sooner.
  • Options
    h1vch1vc Member Posts: 295
    Go the the froums section on the following sites. People there have had similar problems. Have you had starting or accelator porblems?
    www.f150online.com
    www.f150world.com
    www.ford-trucks.com
  • Options
    tgrajektgrajek Member Posts: 3
    I've been an owner of Ford trucks for a long time, owning a '94 ranger, 95 F150 and am now contemplating buying either an F150 King Ranch 4X4 or Lariat 4X4. Has anyone ever owned either one? What are the pros and cons of both?
  • Options
    the difference between a king ranch or lariat comes down to package content. the king ranch has a few items you can't get on the lariat, plus it has different exterior paint schemes and different interior leather. otherwise the two trucks are virtually the same...
  • Options
    tgrajektgrajek Member Posts: 3
    I've asked the Ford Motor Company for a brochure for the Supercrew (both Lariat and King Ranch), but I got sent a "miniature" brochure with Ranger, F150, F250 and E150. Does anyone out there know of any websites where the interior/exterior/powertrain/options/etc can be seen in detail?
  • Options
    tkenny53tkenny53 Member Posts: 41
    I just did my second oil change in the 2001 Screw.
    The first one the dealer did at 3500 miles, I'm at 5800 now and changed over to synth. I thought it was nice for Ford to put in a drain pan for the oil filter rather letting it drain on the main cross member! But I didnt expect to have to turn the wheels all the way to the left so the steering arms would clear a way to get the filter out! Pain in the ?. For only a few thousand miles the oil did looked more like pancake syrup than motor oil. Maybe the dealer just change the filter and not the oil??? Currently getting 14mph from street driving here in lost angeles. But this is better than the 12 I was getting 2 months ago!
  • Options
    chornauerchornauer Member Posts: 1
    Anyone scoring some good deals on the 2001 models? Haven't seen any pricing posts in a while. I just got a dealer to offer me 24,600 +ttl for a loaded lariat super crew (everything but moon roof, heated seats, and 4x4) Checked the pricing guide and that's about $3000 off invoice (including the $1500 cash back offer) Don't know yet though if they are just trying to dump it so they don't have to pay tax on it or if it's been driven a lot and picked over.
  • Options
    gerrys2gerrys2 Member Posts: 4
    I just had the radiator upgraded in my 2001 screw. Did anybody else take that option? Went from a 1995 F250 w/460loaded to this and I love it. By the way, I have been following all the messages posted here over the last couple of months and found it to be very informative. My screw is the Lariat model with everything except the seat heaters and the video option. I wanted that moon roof. Had it for almost one year and have about 17000 miles on it. Would like to put on a dual exhaust and the chip, any suggestions on the best. My son has a 2000 F 150 with the 5.4 and put a y pipe after the cat with duals and it sounds great. We both have K&N's and I believe they add to the performance especially with duals. Thanks for listening.
  • Options
    gopackgopack Member Posts: 2
    From what you have described that's a pretty good deal. I bought my 2001 XLT with the 5.4,17"rims,sliding rear glass,cab steps,bed extender,power driver seat,tow pkg,6 disc changer for $25,500 in Oct-2001. That was with the $1500 rebate. At that time inventories for 2001's were still good so I was able to shop dealers for selection and color. I don't know if the color is what you want on the screw you saw. I probably imagine there are good deals on 2002's now. So far I can highly recommend the truck. It's powerful, comfortable and pleasureable to drive (as long as your not in tight parking areas). Still trying to get used to the size.
    As for gas mileage which I know there are questions and comparisons out there. I've been averaging 12-15 mpg in mixed city and hwy driving. But to be honest with you it's been awhile since I have owned a vehicle with a V-8 so mileage would be probably be better. Pushing the gas is still a thrill at this point. Hope this might have helped you out if you haven't bought already.
  • Options
    jaguar0027jaguar0027 Member Posts: 387
    01 Silverado for Supercrew.

My main concern is comfort (esp on the highway) Can anyone tell me about the ride comfort of the SC?

Thanks
  • Options
    trade my '99 for a S'Crew but when I tried one out I just couldn't get as comfortable as my Sierra. It drove good and handled well and rode good. But just sitting in that Driver's seat I could not get situated so I felt as comfortable. So I bought an '01 Sierra and even it doesn't feel as comfortable as the '99 did! And it has the very same bucket seats.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. I understand you on comfort, that is important. Did you notice if the Ford was much bumpier than the GMC?
  • Options
    I think it was Obyone who said he drove a Ford, Dodge and GM on the same stretch of road and while they all exhibited some bounce the Ford had the least. With GM having the most. This was awhile back so I assume it was not a 2002 Dodge. The one I drove was a 5.4 and actually had more poop than I expected. I did like how much better it fit under my carport. Quite a bit shorter than the GM.
  • Options
    should have said bounce. That is cool that its shorter than the GM. Maybe the Ford will fit in the garage!!!
  • Options
    I think it is a matter of what you are used to.. we traded vans a couple years ago and have had chrysler minis since 87... we were willing to change brands, but nothing felt right except the chryslers.. I am quite comfy in my Screw..no back pains or tired legs.. i think it is a pleasure to drive.. except for what one guy said..the parking lots...... I came out of a Sonoma and this seems huge... the ride is very very nice... But, I think they all ride nice any more...i remember when a 4x4 rode really hard..
  • Options
    I have no bounce in my Screw, wheather it has anything to do with the off road package having HD shocks I don't know. Going over bumpy railroad tracks, the Screw seems like a snake, unlike other trucks I have had that would really bounce you. I came from a SD CC, so a SCrew is downsizing to me and the parking lots are alot more manageable as are drive thrus. I have a loaded XLT, moonroof, heated cloth seats (don't know of anybody else that offers heated cloth seats)6cd changer, have the front bench and the back seats are much better then the rear seat of the new ram quad cab, 4x4 ORP, 3.55LS, power driver's seat is a must (which includes auto headlamps). Check out my pics. http://www.picturetrail.com member name-bowhuntwi.
  • Options
    carleton1carleton1 Member Posts: 560
    Having read your postings in other forums, it is equally refreshing to read the information about your new pickup. Cheers! Carl
  • Options
    Thanks for the info on the Ford F150 SC. I plan on test driving one in about a week, and will let you know how it compares to my 01 Silverado.

Another question... have any of you had any problems either major or minor with your trucks?

Thanks.
  • Options
    I haven't seen any comments for a while regarding the radiator upgrade. Did anybody else take the new radiator or am I the only one?
  • Options
    atlanta4atlanta4 Member Posts: 51
    I still haven't gotten a letter from Ford but I plan to get the radiator upgrade. Guess I'd better stop holding my breath waiting for Ford to notify me. Anyone else with a May '01 or later build date gotten a letter?
    I hate to criticize anything because I've been happy with the truck but this (radiator) issue has been stuck in my craw since I bought it.
  • Options
    I agree with atlanta4. I love the truck but was upset about this. I am glad I got the upgrade there is a hell of a difference in the size of the new radiator. If you get a chance look at the one in your truck now. It looks relatively simple to remove. I remember when you had to remove the water pump to work on these things. Dealer had my truck at 8:00 and it was done when I called at 9:30. The job was done to my satisfaction. By the way total value of that upgrade cost Ford about $375.00 according to the papers I saw at the dealers. I was upset over this thing but Ford did make it right just hang in there.
  • Options
    mine was built in august... and is an 01 model... do i fall in the upgrade window?
  • Options
    According to the BlueOvalNews website (as of 10/01) the recall only includes vehicles purchased or leased prior to 5/5/01. I think that's BS because I still paid for the HD radiator with my OffRoad and towing package options. The sales literature certainly suggested it was included at the time I purchased.
    There are several phone contacts regarding this issue on that website.
    Claims info: 800-423-8851
    Special Service Support Center: 800-325-5621
    F-150 Radiator Program Headquarters: 800-248-6674
    The recall program # is 01B83
    Part Number Application is YL3Z-8005-GA for Auto Transmission
    I'd love to hear if anyone has success via this route.
  • Options
    connonconnon Member Posts: 52
    I went for the upgrade also,however , with some reluctance. After all, the truck has run fine since purchase and why fix what's not broke? Just the same, they implied the HD radiator was part of the package so let them come clean. Besides, the counter options were an insult.
    $100 bucks or a discount on my next truck? I really don't buy trucks that often and the upgrade must have cost quite a bit more so let Ford pay up. I also had the front seat backs replaced while they had it at the shop. Have any other King Ranch owners experienced shrinkage of the leather to the point that the magnetic snaps on the map pockets don't match up leaving the pockets to gape wide open?Mine did within the first months of ownership and after 3 days the new covers are starting the same crap. Even empty, they wont stay closed.
  • Options
    i actually got the 100 dollar check in the mail after i'd traded my '01 for an '02. i took the 100 bucks and ran...

as for the leather map pockets, as of yet i haven't had any trouble but i'll keep an eye on em...
  • Options
    supercrewfansupercrewfan Member Posts: 8
    My husband and I decided to keep the radiator that came with the truck and deposit the check. We had towed a trailer and didn't have any trouble so decided not to mess with something that was working fine.

Now if the shop will just find that "clunking" in the transmission and refusal to shift at times. Shop says there is nothing wrong. My husband asked them to test drive it again, guess we will see what the shop says next.
  • Options
    Well the shop says the transmission is fine. It isn't. Guess we just drive it.
  • Options
    native1native1 Member Posts: 2
    suprercrew, what type transmission do you have, man/auto? Also, I have been trying to research which is the better engine, the powerstroke or the gas. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I am currently pursuing a F250 or F350 as my family of 7 has outgrown the Tundra (we already have a Sub).
  • Options
    buckmaster1buckmaster1 Member Posts: 20
    AND YES I COULD NOT BE HAPPIER.I just wish I had done it sooner.My 2001 Sierra had a lot of little quality problems that I thought I was just going to have to live with until I saw an opportunity to bail out for my Supercrew.I lost a few thousand but I drove the truck for 13 months.The main thing to me is that I am now happy with the quality of what I am making payments on instead of making excuses to myself.My Gm cab creaked and groaned from day one,the rear doors shut like crap and had limited adjustment,a noise at the base of the windshield at highway speeds made trips unpleasant, and the interior door panels kept coming loose. Too much to eat for 30 grand.On the plus side the 5.3 motor had great power,but not quite enough low end torque for towing-which surprised me because when the truck was empty it was a ripper but when loaded I really felt it lose power.Thats the difference between Hp and torque I guess.The really great part of the Screw is obvious, 4 full doors for real families and I could care less what sticks out of the bed 1 foot or 2 feet.I never used the whole bed on my 6 foot sierra,besides I have a 10 x 4 utility trailer for bigger stuff.This Supercrew could easily work for a living and then play on the weekends or grocerey shop during the week.Great all around package for most of us.The quality of the product seems to be about the best out there from American pickup makers.
  • Options
    These are about my Supercrew.

http://alldata.com/TSB/20/012077DA.html

• Options
    These are about my Supercrew.

http://alldata.com/TSB/20/012077DA.html

• Options
    2002 F-150 XLT Supercrew. 4.6L V8 with 60/40 split bench.

I must say that they truck seemed to handle a bit better than my 01 Silverado 1500 and may have even rode a bit better.

My main complaint was the lack of power and the seats were VERY uncomfortable!!!

I would like to go back and test drive a 5.4L with Captains Chairs to see if its any better. So far as comfort though I think Chevy has it. At least in the front seats anyway.

More to come...
  • Options
    I'm only getting 12.8 on the average, but I have been as high as 14.5, its never stays in a certain range. I have the 5.4 with synth oil and just turned 7000 miles. I also have a K&N filter for the air side, which the first gas tank got me the 14.5, but after that 12-13mpg. I see others getting 14.5 15.5 with 4wd, Is all this talk unreal and really BS? I saw a difference by going from low grade to 89 oct and it jumped up to 14.3 and now its back down to high 12 to very low 13's. I drive all around and I dont differ much from that. Is it dealer time or what, thanks for the help
  • Options
    My 4X4 wthe 5.4L stays between 12.5 - 13average. I can hit high 14's on pure highway driving but really doesn't vary much. It's sort of hilly around North Atlanta but interstate traffic just hauls [non-permissible content removed] so it's hard to keep it below 75 or 80 and not get blown away by the flow of traffic. I've got 15000 miles on it now so I dont check it that often. It's just a big heavy vehicle with a big engine with a thirst for gas but I wouldn't trade it for any truck on the market.
  • Options
    I'm here in Lost Angeles, so it's alot of different speeds, but when you need the power, its ALL there!
  • Options
    try driving 65... i have the 5.4 4x4 and hardly ever drop below 15... and on all highway get 17+.. i do live in a rural area..
  • Options
    i haven't even checked my mpg (5.4l 4x4 king ranch)...don't think i really want to. ignorance is bliss, isn't it??
  • Options
    99fcas99fcas Member Posts: 3
    I am a first time poster although I have been reading this board for 6 months.

I have a 3 month old, 2002 SCrew, torreador red, with almost all the trimmings: 4X4, 5.4L, Lariat, FX4, tow package, heated captains chairs, limited slip, etc. No engine mods, but I do have a Bedrug, an extang tonneau, and a remote starter.

My mileage has been consistently lower than advertised, 12 or 13 mpg. I fear that the poor mileage is partly attributable to the RFG (reformulated gasoline) sold here in the Chicago area. This is the only type of gas that I'll ever be able to buy here (because of anti-pollution regulations), and it is always sold with 10% ethanol.

I would not have gotten the 4.6 liter engine, even if I had a choice. Dealers around here generally don't bother to stock them, especially not in a Lariat. The power of the 5.4L is worth the price. We just have to live with the thirst of this big V8, as it is always pullin' 5000 lbs plus cargo around all of the time.
  • Options
    99fcas99fcas Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone else have his/her left knee constantly bumping this annoying switch? I am constantly inadvertantly activating the motor that pulls the pedals back toward the seats.

Not only is it annoying, it is potentially dangerous since you never quite know exactly where the brake pedal is going to be, plus it feels like someone is constantly banging my knee with a small ball-ping hammer.
  • Options
    that doesn't happen to me, but i do get my foot hung up on the emergency brake pedal on occasion...
  • Options
    I think the proximity of the 4x4 switch to the heater fan switch and the similarity in the two is potentially bad news...
This discussion has been closed.