Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    dimmidimmi Member Posts: 5
    i purchased same car AWD for 23670 (includes destination) I insisted and recieved no additional dealer installed cr*p in Chicago.
  • Options
    lillythefroglillythefrog Member Posts: 1
    Got a offer from a dealer in North Carolina willing to sell 2009 CRV 2WD EX-L, no other options added for 23,000, not including tax ($300), ($89) tag, and ($399) processing fee. Any thoughts????
  • Options
    CivicUpgradeCivicUpgrade Member Posts: 12
    Every state is different, but I say: Bad deal. Including destination fee-- which is the same everywhere-- your price is $24,470. In California, you can walk into any dealer and get the same car for $24000-- or less.

Are there lots of dealerships in the NoVa area? If so, you should be able to get a much better price.

And check around to see if all dealers in VA and MD tack on processing fee. In CA, it can't be more than $55. But in Nevada, all the dealers add a "doc fee" of $399 that's just bogus. Make sure to see if other dealers include the same fee.

I am jealous of your low tax rate. Taxes in CA on the same car are nearly $2000. And we're still bankrupt...
  • Options
    meepermeeper Member Posts: 20
    Thanks for the feedback. And yes, there are many dealers in the Northern Virginia area... they just don't seem to be very competitive. The processing fees do vary quite a bit among the dealers -- I've been quoted $199 to $699. Although the tax rate on a vehicle purchase is only 3%...VA annual personal property tax rate is $4.25 per $100 of assessed value.

Thanks again...I'll keep negotiating and post my next meaningful offer.
  • Options
    kolsiokolsio Member Posts: 2
    $25,600 OTD sounds good. I tried that two months ago and they won't give it to me and quote me for $27000 OTD.
  • Options
    kolsiokolsio Member Posts: 2
    I personally think you should start negotiate low. If you think you might have a chance of getting it at 20400, then fight for it. It is the time that the buyers have the say.
    About the color, you might be better off get one that the dealer has. Simply because they are overstock and want to get rid of it.
  • Options
    residentericresidenteric Member Posts: 14
    calerm, dealers trade cars with each other to get you the color. You can order one but that takes months of waiting.
  • Options
    I actually noticed the vibrations when driving not idling.
  • Options
    Why is the new color with black interior so damn hard to find?? I hate the ivory, two tone interior....pukee
  • Options
    calermcalerm Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for all the help I got on this forum. I got OTD price $20,250. 2009 Honda CR-V LX 2WD
  • Options
    CrvisgoodCrvisgood Member Posts: 1
    I am wondering it was good deal or not....

Yesterday I went to Paramus Honda Dealer

Before I went, I read all of articles in these forums...

anyway The price is $ 25,500 including only Destination and I chose exterior silver and interior black and I got 1999 toyota camry $ 1300 as trade-in Value..
  • Options
    bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    I got the offer of $24,600 (incl dest) + tax + doc fee + tt&l for 09 EXL AWD, that is 900 less than yours.
  • Options
    specdanspecdan Member Posts: 13
    Just took delivery, yes they delivered the car to my house on a Car carrier (1/13/09), from Los Angeles to Tucson of the above Car w/Lojack-$24,000 plus Tax & License.
    Car had been on the Lot since May of 2008.
    Best I could find on a 2009, similarly equipped (w/o Lojack) was $25,300
  • Options
    ncguy2ncguy2 Member Posts: 3
    I have contacted about 5 dealers in NC and the best I can come up with for a 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L AWD (black exterior) w/o navigation is the following:

24,950 (including wheel locks, mud guards, pin stripe)
    + tax (3%; $748)
    + tag ($70)
    + doc fee ($389)
    Total OTD - $26,158.

I had one dealer suggest verbally he might do $24,300 +++ (so about $25,500 OTD). I have pushed hard for $24,000 (or less) and am getting no takers.

Based on searching the forum their quotes look good, but can anyone provide feedback on whether or not this price is good or if I am missing something?

Thanks.
  • Options
    wwywongwwywong Member Posts: 4
    I just got a 09 CR-V EX AWD (no NAVI) on Sat(1/24), in El Cerrito, CA. Here is the breakdown:

$22,800
    + $2274.43 parts (roof rack, black side bar, tailgate spoiler, fog light)
    + $495 alarm
    + $55 doc fee
    + $2242.14 tax (8.75%)
    + $261.75 reg/lic fee

Total OTD - $28,128.32

I feel the car base price is alright, but the Honda optional parts including labor are extremely high and out of my expectation. However, base on that I don't want to put aftermarket parts later, and the dealer said those parts price they cannot control (I clicked on the online honda eshop and the part+install of those parts are about the same as here, I just go ahead with it. Am I being too naive?
  • Options
    okahmadokahmad Member Posts: 5
    Meeper, hi --

What price did you finally pay? Which dealership?

Thanks..
  • Options
    If you don't need them, get the base EX AWD instead of that many options. They make 50% on options... you can negotiate 200 less to 22,600 (incl dest) I just helped my buddy bought 1 at that price.
  • Options
    Hi bigdadi118, the fact is I wanted those option. The dealer is pretty honest in that he didn't try to sell me anything. If I wanted I could've walked out with that 22800 + tax and other fees. But I requested that I want those options (in fact I already hold myself a bit once I see the price on those options... how can a car be without side molding?? But anyway...).

I think I am lazy in a way that I do not want to buy aftermarket part, and have some other mechanic do it, and at the same time also wasn't sure if it is done right. I am buying a new car, so I would like to have everything taken care on the car seller side, and I just take the car and go. So I guess that is on my expense...

About the price that you been able to reach (22600) that's excellent bargain... I tried 22500, but it is refused by the manager "up there", the next price come up from the saleman is 22800. I gues I wasn't that patient to wait for the next round... But thanks for the info!
  • Options
    Shep626Shep626 Member Posts: 6
    This is an awesome forum.. I'm actively looking for the 2009 CR-V EX 2WD.. I have called my local dealerships and have even gotten some price quotes online.. The best I've come up with is $21,194 (not including TTL). The invoice price listed for this trim on edmunds.com is $21,864. What are your thoughts? I think this price sounds great- but I'm an amateur car buyer.

I would really love to add the roof rack, moonroof visor and some tinted windows to the mix. I'm trying to figure out the best strategy to get this without bumping the price up too much.
  • Options
    The add-on options are negotiable also, try take 10%-15% off the price...
  • Options
    Well....I'm still negotiating....and the price is coming down. Must be the end of the month syndrome.

Base: $23,090
    Dest: 670
    Tax: 788
    Reg: 56
    Dlr proc: 385

Total: 24,989

I'll let you know if it gets any lower.
  • Options
    mmm.. interesting. I don't know that you can even negotiate the options. The sales keep saying parts and labor is not "their department"... I guess I am just not good enough negotiator.

But I wonder why not many people in this forum mentioned about getting any options at all? To me it seems that the car in their base model nowadays (even toyota RAV4 is the same) doesn't have anything in there even the EX and EX-L level. I would imagine in the past that if I get a EX car, it should have everything. I am not talking about bling bling and those fancy options, but I mean some of the stuff is really basic... like cargo mat, floor mat, side molding (I am talking about in general)... they even make those "options" ... that's a very wicked way to earn money IMO...
  • Options
    Is this for an EX-L AWD or just front wheel drive?
  • Options
    blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    mmm.. interesting. I don't know that you can even negotiate the options. The sales keep saying parts and labor is not "their department"... I guess I am just not good enough negotiator.

But I wonder why not many people in this forum mentioned about getting any options at all? To me it seems that the car in their base model nowadays (even toyota RAV4 is the same) doesn't have anything in there even the EX and EX-L level. I would imagine in the past that if I get a EX car, it should have everything. I am not talking about bling bling and those fancy options, but I mean some of the stuff is really basic... like cargo mat, floor mat, side molding (I am talking about in general)... they even make those "options" ... that's a very wicked way to earn money IMO...

What you have mentioned is BLING BLING. The stock mats are free, so is the stock cargo mat.

Previous CR-V's has those as optional items as well. Not everyone wants the options you wanted, so why should they pay for them?

I bought a used OEM roof rack for $80, it was a piece of cake to install. I got JDM OEM knock off fog lights for $70 shipped. It was a relatively easy install.

The $2200 optional parts cost is mostly for labor. If you have a thumb on each hand you can install them yourself and save $1800. Shop around!
  • Options
    msilverm23msilverm23 Member Posts: 1
    2009 EX-L 4WD

In Ohio got quoted at,

base 24,677
    license 25.5
    doc fee 250
    tax 6%

I think I could get lower for sure.
  • Options
    This is for the 2WD version.
  • Options
    I got an idea now. Thanks for the info!
  • Options
    ks01ks01 Member Posts: 1
    Hi ncguy2,

I'm on the west coast and have also been trying to buy a 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L AWD (urban titanium exterior), no navi. Maybe I'm not as good of a negotiator as you but I'm at 25,300 with one dealer and they are including mud flaps, wheel locks, door edge guards, but no all season mats. I then went up to 25,200 with the mats and they said no, so I left... Do you have any advice for me, since you're clearly lower than me, but I'm getting a no go on the same thing basically....

not to mention that tax where I live is 8.9%.... so I'll be paying more than you no matter what... Thanks.
  • Options
    Seeker1966Seeker1966 Member Posts: 7
    Shep, I'm assuming you were not including "Freight/Destination" of $670 as well as Dealer Processing Fees (DPFs); $21,194 was essentially the price that they changed the "Sticker" down to; correct? :confuse:

I received an e-mail for CR-V EX 2WD for $20,725 (Invoice was 21,725) (not including Freight or DPFs. Admittedly not a lot cheaper, but I assume everybody here is looking to get the lowest price possible. ;)

I'm in VA. You?
  • Options
    Seeker1966Seeker1966 Member Posts: 7
    ks01, I received pricing via e-mail thusly:

2009 CR-V EXL 4WD (w/o Nav) for $24,202 (Invoice was 25,202); (Basically all 09 CR-Vs were reduced 1K from Invoice).

IMHO mudflaps, door guards & wheel locks are all crap that they install to add to their bottom line.

Get some online quotes to flash to them that beat their price and they will change their tune quickly.

The price I received was gotten with nothing more than a few mouse-clicks (no dealer visits or phone calls; I have to assume you could negotiate even lower once you are there and ready to deal).
  • Options
    Seeker1966 - Is this the price $24,202 including destination? Are there any additional amounts beyond just tax, tag and doc fee to add to this price?

ks01 - I followed the same format of contacting a bunch of dealers via email and getting others to price match.

I am now at $24,325 for the black 2009 EX-L AWD before tax, tag and doc fee. OTD is $25,500. (NC tax is 3%).
  • Options
    DRZ06DRZ06 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for a target price on a 2009 Honda CR-V 2WD EX-L with Navigation. List Price is $28,415, Invoice is $26,476. Dealer's in FL are asking for a $499 to $599 Dealer Fee. What would be a great price? I read on here there is a $500 Marketing promo until 02/02/09. I have checked with 2 dealers. One is at $25,399 and the other is at $25,883 + Dealer Fee ($599 & other is $499) + tax + title. I am looking to purchase within the next couple of weeks. Any help would be appreciated. :)
  • Options
    roy27roy27 Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for all the help I got on this forum. I got OTD price $20,250. 2009 Honda CR-V LX 2WD

Hi im new here when he OTD thats include tax , destination price & license? please help im in california. need to help my aunt buy a car. its that a good price? thanks
  • Options
    Hey Seeker, Thanks for your reply. No, $21,194 listed does not include Freight and DPFs. I'm actually in FL. Since my last post, the best offer I could get was $21,094 with a roof rack and tinted windows included. However, after seeing your price- I think I'll haggle a little more.. :) If I can get this thing for $22,800 OTD- I'll be a happy buyer.. I'll let you know if I'm able to get a better deal than what they've offered you.. :)
  • Options
    carshoppingcarshopping Member Posts: 4
    You say 24,470 for 2009 ex-L no navi is not a good deal? Isn;t the invoice something like 25k+?
  • Options
    emprofemprof Member Posts: 2
    2009 Honda CR-V Purchase
    Wow! What an experience buying a car! I had done my research and knew exactly the car I wanted and the price I wanted to pay. I received quotes from a number of dealers, and decided that the quote from a particular dealer (whose name I will not mention here) and the location from where I live were best for me. Having had many years of experience buying cars and having done the research I needed to do before going to the dealership were very important in this case. I had the information the Internet sales manager provided me before going to the dealership to seal the deal. I had a list of what I needed to know and what was agreed to, and I thought the final process would take a very short time. The Internet sales manager told me on the phone that he couldn't be there but that he would have everything ready for me (with only "10%" of the paperwork left to complete).

Well, my wife and I went to the showroom and the offer sheet was given to me with the price I had agreed to pay. I had my "what to make certain of" checklist with me and noticed that the actual car name was not on the offer sheet and that the sheet included a $1,000 rebate that my research indicated should not be there. (This was not an additional $1,000 off what I had agreed to pay.) I was puzzled but did not get too upset as the bottom-line price was as agreed to. The sales tax they computed was a bit more than I expected as a result, but I don't think dealers can cheat on that aspect. Anyway, they brought out the car, and it looked fine, although another red flag was that the standard sales sheet was not in the window. We went back into the showroom and I questioned the manager several times about the rebate when it finally dawned on me: They tried to sell me a new 2008 CR-V instead of a new 2009, because I remembered that Honda was offering a $1,000 rebate on the 2008 CR-V! I was ready to walk out and go to another dealer that had a price as good as their offer, but they said they would fix the problem. They then brought out a 2009 that had 47 miles on it but looked like it had been driven a lot more than that, and it was dirty and had a big scratch on the back. They offered to fix the scratch but I said no way. I also stated that I was told my car would have less than 10 miles on it (from the Internet sales representative I had spoken to the day before I came in to the show room trying to make certain that I would get exactly the car I wanted. When you get a new car with less than 10 miles on it, you know it's not been driven as a demo). Then they finally brought out the new car that I had bargained for. It was in mint new condition. My wife and I accepted that car. Through the course of that afternoon 3 1/2 hours went by before we walked out of the showroom with the fully-prepped vehicle. We were never offered so much as a cup of water, and a representative did not hold the door open for my wife when we were going out to look at the car! In any case I got exactly what I wanted at the price I wanted to pay. I also received some extras that were agreed to on the phone. All of these things were on my checklist. This is very important to bring with you when you buy a new car. You must make absolutely sure you are getting the exact vehicle you wanted (year, model, trim level, options, extras, such as a free oil change). You can never assume anything. They did throw in a free cargo tray, which Honda dealers sell for $100 (overpriced, but a great extra, especially when free). I can handle this kind of treatment, but what was bad was that my wife had to experience it. The only other good thing about this experience is that it makes for an incredible story, which I will tell over and over. Incidentally, I cannot say for sure who was most to blame at the dealership. The sales manager certainly has to take a lot of responsibility as is true of the Internet sales manager who was conveniently at the "doctor's" office and could not meet with me. The sales representative who met with me seemed to know what was going on, but he was not responsible for the mistreatment and gave us a couple extras. He evidently did what he was told to do. We should have been offered refreshments. Yes, they made a profit. I know people have to feed their kids, but I made certain we got a terrific deal. Incidentally, here's what was on my list:
    1. Year, Model, trim level, AWD, and exterior and interior color and option agreed to (front splash guards) with no other options included (except if free), destination cost included in the quoted price
    2. No fees other than doc fee, license and title fees plus $25 electronic registration & titling fee, and sales tax added to quoted price (no prep fee, no advertising or marketing fee, etc.) I figured the doc fee in what I consider part of the profit for the dealer.
    3. Miles on new car: less than 10
    4. No badging except for license plate holder: yes
    5. Clean up and prep included, full tank of gas: yes
    6. Will meet with whom? Appointment: time and date
    7. How much can put on credit card? $3,000
    8. Free first oil change? Yes
    9. Financing: dealership one v. other

I did not have a trade-in car. If possible sell this on your own.
  • Options
    OK. So I bought my 2009 CR-V EX-L 2WD (Glacier Blue) w/o navigation today. The OTD price was $24,970:

Base: 23,090
    Dest: 670
    Taxes: 781
    Tags: 44.50
    Dealer Processing: 385

Could have worked a little on the processing fee, but overall am pretty pleased with the OTD price.
  • Options
    gy66gy66 Member Posts: 10
    Hi Meeper,

I am looking the same model. EX-L, 2WD. Please share ur experience when u made ur deal.

Btw, where r u located? Thanks,

Eric
  • Options
    Hey Eric,

I'm located in Northern Virginia (Burke) and used Edmunds.com to solicit price quotes from 6 dealerships in the area. I used the first legitimate OTD quote and circulated it around to the other 5, communicating only by email, until I got what I thought were pretty decent quotes based upon these threads -- compared to others who have purchased the same model. Then it was a matter of going back and forth between the two best quotes letting the dealerships compete.

I started the process in late December thinking that I would get a year-end bargain (nope) and planned to wrap up at the end of January to take advantage of any month end incentives (yup). I'm satisfied with the OTD price, the salesman, and the dealership, so far. Only spent about 45 minutes from test drive to signing the final papers.

Note: I define a good deal as one where I pay a reasonable price and get exactly I wanted. I'm sure the dealership made some money on the deal. My nightmare is to buy a car and have all the salesmen standing in a circle in the showroom laughing when I leave, saying, "That is the most anyone has ever paid for a car like that!..........."

Let me know if you would like any additional info -- and good luck.
  • Options
    My local dealer offered me $23,299 OTD (includes tax, tag, title, destination fee- everything) for a 2009 CR-V EX model. I also haggled them into including a roof rack and tinted windows for that price. What do you guys think?
  • Options
    xtrosityxtrosity Member Posts: 11
    Shep626

Can you break down the numbers a bit. sicne we dont know where you live and everyone's tax amount will vary based on location can you give us a OTD price minus the tax and any DMV fees?

We can then give you a better idea of our opinion on the deal. Thanks!
  • Options
    Here's the breakdown for the 2009 CR-V EX model. Edmunds Invoice price was listed as $21,864 for Tampa, FL. Also keep in mind that they are including a roof rack and window tint in this price (supposedly at no charge).

$20,326.90 Selling price
    $1354.60 Tax 6.25%
    $670 Destination
    $199 License/Title/Registration
    $8.50 Lemon/Battery/Tire
    $41 Doc. Processing Fee
    $699 Dealer Fee
    ----------------------------------------
    $23.299 OTD price

Surprisingly enough, I've called 5 other dealers in the area to see if they can beat this price- and there are no takers. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    gy66gy66 Member Posts: 10
    Hi Meeper,

Thanks for the updates. I live in CA, a dealer which is close to me offer me $26,000 OTD (the tax is 8.75 here). I think it is little higher. i'll look around for a while and see what i can find.

thanks,

Eric
  • Options
    SalemTheCatSalemTheCat Member Posts: 5
    Looks like a great deal.

I paid OTD $23,908.44 last Dec 13th, 2008 for basically the same 2009 CR-V EX model.

Yours has the roof rack and tinting whereas ours added (for $400 of the price) Wheel Lock Nuts, Cargo Mat, Splash Guards, Door Edge Guards, Pin Stripe and Moon Roof Air Deflector.
  • Options
    mplshondadlrmplshondadlr Member Posts: 409
    No change in Honda to dealer incentive on the CRV. No APR specials have been added.
  • Options
    CivicUpgradeCivicUpgrade Member Posts: 12
    It is. But $1000-$1500 under invoice is not impossible these days. I paid $23400 for my CR-V last month in SoCal. (that includes destination but not tax, title or registration).
  • Options
    Eric,

I found that being patient and keeping in touch with several reputable dealers as well as waiting until the end of the month helps with getting the lower offers.
  • Options
    politico234politico234 Member Posts: 2
    Calerm, can you tell me which dealer gave you $20,250 OTD for the 2WD LX? I'm in Maryland also and am looking for the same model. Also, did you get the color you wanted?
  • Options
    sixtyonesixtyone Member Posts: 1
    Paid cash today: $19445 plus tax/tags/doc fee $20500 OTD
    Cary NC
    Seemed like a pretty good deal for a car with 55 miles on it, 14 of which I drove.
    They have one left, too, just like it.
  • Options
    politico234politico234 Member Posts: 2
    By the way, folks, Calerm's price of $20,250 for the 2009 LX 2WD in Maryland is nearly $1600 under invoice by my math:

$18,200 price
    $1092 tax
    $670 desination
    $89 processing
    $200 tags and registration
    TOTAL = $20,251

The invoice price is $19,778.

Right now, the lowest I've gotten looking for the same trim, also in Maryland, is $18,650.