Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• varsivarsi Member Posts: 2
    That is a fair deal. I am also shopping one of that kind (CR-V ; 2WD - LX ). Can you pls provide me the dealer name & location in NC. I am currently in Raleigh.

-B
  • varsivarsi Member Posts: 2
    I am also shopping for (CR-V ; 2WD - LX ). Can you pls provide me any dealers & location in and around Raleigh,NC who can sell at the Invoice or less than Invoice.

Thanks in Advance

-Varsi
  • eruditereseruditeres Member Posts: 9
    Let me have your email or tel number at following address for info...

erudite.res at betaemail. com
  • art662art662 Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for the Tip to bajsharp and ewujun for helping me in your posts.

I also contacted Castrucci of the best deal I could find. It's a 4 hour drive from home in Indiana to Cincinnati for the best deal.
    Beat any dealer in our area by 1,000.00 and 550.00 less that Louisville's lowest.
    2010 CR-V EX-L 2wd Polished Metal with Black Leather

24,750.00 with destination
    250.00 doc fee
    1732.50 7% Indiana Sales Tax
    30.50 Title and Tag Fee

26763.00 Out the door.

Some might have done better, but I'm pretty happy.
    Thanks again -
  • eka1eka1 Member Posts: 41
    don't understand your point. so when you sell your car to a dealer or person do you think anyone is going to believe or care that its highway miles. The way I see it is miles are miles no matter if you drive city or highway
  • stripe1stripe1 Member Posts: 72
    eka1: Hey genius, living in a city, and daily driving from red light to red light, and top sign to stop sign is tough on ANY car. And, don't forget the stop and go traffic. More gas is used, brakes need replacng much sooner, w/alignment('s) done much sooner from mucho pot holes, tires wear, more oil + filter changes, inside cabin filter changed more often, a/cleaner under hood changed more often, much harder on transmission. I have 42,000 miles on vehicle, and brakes are like new. Shall I go on? Yes, people do care. I strongly believe most people on this site share the same though's.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,217
    People care.. but, no one believes it.. (enough to pay more for it)

And.. dealers, especially don't care... because, they have no way to prove it on resale..

So.. it sounds good, but in the market, it is, "miles are miles".. If you are selling the car to your neighbor or best friend, then it might be worth more to them, because they can verify it... (but, then.. can you really get top dollar from a neighbor or friend?).

That is the hard truth, I'm afraid.. Fortunately, a car this is well cared for will show in the cosmetics and service records. That is what will set your car apart.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• fasttexfasttex Member Posts: 24
    edited March 2010
    It is one of the myths of the car business, so miles are miles. Most dealers now use two sources to determine the value of a trade, the "Black Book" which is updated about weekly or the Mannheim auction which tells them EXACTLY what a car likes yours sold for at auction. If you plan to sell your car privately you must get at least 20% more for it than on a trade as most states charge sales tax on the trade difference. Professional salesman are struggling to sell cars, what makes you think that you can do better? Have people come to your car lot, arrange financing, fix everything that needs fixing, negotiate with an idiot that wants to beat you up on the price (that's the point of this forum) and then deal with them after the sale. Use average trade value (80% of 4-year-old cars are average) from Edmunds and you will know what to shoot for and if you get a bit more, that's great!! Dealers are taking a chance on ANY used car they take in, after all, it's USED. :shades: :shades: :shades: :shades:
  • rusurerusure Member Posts: 10
    strip1: Hey Junior, eka1's comment was about the irrelevancy highway miles has on the resale of your car, not how much worse stop and go driving is on the vehicle. I think most educated auto people are aware of the stop/go impact on a car. His point is spot on. None of the publications NADA, KBB, Edmunds, Galves, etc) that list used car prices have a "highway miles" section. At the end of the day, if I'm buying your used honda, my offer is going to be based on the published value of the car - period.
  • samizazasamizaza Member Posts: 1
    The best price I could find in Massachusetts OTD including Tax(6.25%): $29,370

On a scale from 1 to 10 (10 being Excellent), where does this deal fall?

Any one in New England with a better deal?
    rusure, man you appear to be an expert about everything. The bottom line my friend, most people looking for a 2nd hand vehicle, and if they had a choice between two exact vehicles with one being mostly highway driven (no lights/stop signe), and the other city driving with lot's of stop and go's, would prefer the former. And, you being an expert I'm sure would say the same. ru interested in buying my mostly open highy driven Accord?
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    I think the point is that even though you know that 35,000 of the 41,000 were highway driven, a buyer has no way to verify that. Other than your word, there is no other way to determine which of the miles were higway and which were not.

If you look at the classifieds in the paper, every car in there has highway miles, which begs to question, who the heck is driving on the streets and clogging them up if every car is highway driven.

I am not questioning your integrity, but, for someone to shell out extra dough for something they can not prove beyond reasonable doubt is a tough pill to swallow. Which, makes your 41,000 miles no different than the 41,000 miles on the car next to it.

So, yes, you can differentiate your vehicle from the other by stating that it has 35,000 highway miles out of 41,000 total miles. But, don't expect someone to pay more for it. You may get a quicker sale, as a buyer would find you trustowrthy and prefer to buy from you than the next guy with 41,000 miles, but a buyer will not pay more for your ride than the other 41,000 miler.

What if the other guy swears that all 41,000 miles are highway?
    Strip1:First, thank you for the compliment. And yes, an expert like myself might possibly be able to determine if you were blowing smoke by looking at the brake peddle for excessive wear for example, but it would be a stretch to make any definitive conclusions. Unless your car comes equipped with that rare trip odometer, you know, the one that automatically keeps track of highway miles on Trip A and city miles on Trip B, the majority of people on this board are going to determine the value of your vehicle based on available used car price publications and not your promise. And that my friend, imsure. ;)
  • tonyc32tonyc32 Member Posts: 2
    Just picked one up for $20,900 including destination. Add in $1025 MA sales tax, and $398 fees and registration and I got it for $22,323 OTD. Decent deal?
  • dsfingerdsfinger Member Posts: 11
    edited March 2010
    I live in VA and was just quoted $27,461 OTD for 2010 CRV EXL AWD w/o Navi. I'll be doing the same homework but thought you'd like to know about quotes here.
    Has anyone purchased an EXL w/o Navi that can comment?
  • rkj1rkj1 Member Posts: 11
    Hi tonyc32. Congratulations!!
    Its about the right price. I am also going to pick up my CRV LX AWD @ Following price

$21195 (Include Destination + Remote Starter) + $1500 NJ Tax (7%) + $275 Dealer Fee + around $295 DMV Fees
    Total = $23200 - Its higher for me because of NJ Tax (7%) and dealer fees. I don't know how you skip dealer fees here.
    Hi jik. Would you mind telling me how much in total (OTD) did you pay finally and which dealer have u bought it from ?
    edited March 2010
    One doesn't 'skip' dealers fee, rather have the dealer agree to a price inclusive of fees, and then push down that price. Dealer will adjust vehicle sale price lower to add on dealer fee. Key is not to let them spring in their fee after you have batten the price down, batten them together.

Memories: 12 years ago, I refused to pay the $299 doc fee. The sales person pointed to a plaque on the wall that stated it was mandatory. I countered "so if I put a plaque in my home that every guest has to pay up $10, would the guests pay?!". He was taken aback and could not quite get composure back - too unexpected for him. He got up abruptly, red faced, and said, I could leave if I didn't plan on buying the car, and the $299 was non-negotiable. I simply went back to the door and asked for another salesman. Not too soon after the original sales person came and asked if $100 doc fee was okay. I agreed. I was desperate to buy the car that day - my prior car was dead and I had traveled 100mi to bargain.

PS Check my last post 9791. that price includes $400 dealer fees, I just didn't separate it out.
    Not to ruffle feathers, but what makes people go for top of the line CRV w/Navi? Its almost $8000 more than Cloth LX, and there is always a risk that if it gets totaled, because of someone else's fault, the owner could lose a lot. Optioned up cars also shed more $$ with time, so even at sales time, cost of ownership per year can be high. Just an honest question.
    rusure, I consider myself to be an honest person. There's an old saying, "would you buy a car from that use car salesman?" The question is meant to be a joke, and the answer was usually "no." However, if that question was meant for me then the answer would be yes, definitely.

I'm attempting to sell my car to people in my development who know me. Most know that I travel back to my "root's" quite often. It was difficult making a move from an area where I lived all my life. On most days it's apprx. a 180 mile round trip, with majority of travel t/pike, and open rode with no light's or stop signs. I've cut back the drive, for I'm finally getting use to my new envirement.

I went to a Honda Dealer, and purchase a 2010 EX-L CR-V. My 2006 Accord EX-L V-6 Sdn was to be use for trade. After receiving what I thought was a great price ($25,961), I was looking to get at least $13,500 to $14,000 for my 06. I feel my 06 Accord is 90% show room condition. I must of fell asleep at the wheel, for the sales manager talked me into $12,500, for the trade, after I ask for $13,500. From what I've seen, dealers are selling my type car model from $18,000 to $19,000+. He mention saving on sales tax by trading, and all the other talk when trying to sell a car..

When I arrived home, and wrote down numbers in regard to me selling my car privately, the numbers were much different, like $2000++ different. I signed most of the papers to buy the CR-V, and I stated that I'd come back Thursday to pick up vehicle. I gave a $500 hold from my c/c. I called yesterday, and inform dealer that I was changing things, for I want to buy the CR-V out right with no trade, and that my bank gave me an open check to pay for CR-V OTD of $28,200. I'm sure they are probably pis***, but the money is better in my pocket then theirs.

My only problem, now I have to advertise the sale of my 06 Accord. It's rednaldo red, mud guards, matching color d/edge guards, moon roof visor, pin stripe w/small "H" at each q/panel, wheel locks, gold package, garage kept, and paid subscription to satilite radio until December. Also, I have the car detail twice a year by a shop in Manahawkin, NJ, and is dealer certified, for service done by a Honda dealer in Philadelphia The odometer turned 43,000 miles today.

What I do need from the board is advise on how to sell the vehicle other then from inside my development. I was ASKING $17,000, but I decided on a firm price of $15,900. Also, how would I have if I want to cancel my contract to buy the CR-V?

Thanks for the patience.
    The $12000 offer was probably pretty good. There are many Accords with less miles for sale all over the internet, check www.autotrader.com or ebay to compare. We have a certified 2006 EX-L V6 for sale for $13295. It is a lease return with 33000 miles on it in excellent condition as it is a Certified Pre-owned Honda that includes a 7-year 100K powertrain warranty. The sales tax savings is a reality.
    edited March 2010
    I'm sure you are an honest person. But, at the end of the day business is business and parting with $15K - $17K is not easy for lots of people. I'm inclined to agree with fasttex opinion, but based on where you live, you may be able to squeeze out a few more $$. Quick check on cars.com within 50 miles of zip code 08050 shows certified cars listed in the $17k range for '06 EX-L Sedans with Auto tranny and around 40k miles.

But you have some issues you'll need to overcome. Namely the bartering game. I'm going to use a car I found as an example. An '06 accord EX-L sedan with auto listed at $16,999. Me, the buyer than looks at KBB and verifies that's the retail price for an Accord in Excellent condition (I will say, selling a used car at in the Excellent category is challenging). I quickly look at the private party sale price ($15K) and the Trade-In value ($12,600K) and then determine my offer. Knowing that a dealer may offer (they are usually lower than the published trade-in) $12,600 for the car, I may offer this guy $13,350 or thereabouts and then let the games begin. And things can get even more complicated if your dealing with people you know. I mean are they going to expect a little discount? The people you don't know will be more skeptical and realize they'll forfeit the 30 day warranty most dealers offer on a used car sale if they bought from you. That warranty is worth something. I believe it will be difficult to get $15,900 knowing what the car is worth, what the expected sale will be with private party and what you could get if you traded it in. But, go ahead and try it. Someone may really like the car and buy it for your firm price. But the one question you'll need to answer is how long are you willing to wait for your price? If someone offers you $14,500 - $15,000 two months into this process, are you willing to say no?
  • 4over200k4over200k Member Posts: 18
    tonyc32
    going back and forth between a forester and a crv - contemplating going LX FWD to save some cash and add 1 mile mpg. I drive 600 highway miles per week between MA and RI. My Honda Ody has 267K on it - time to retire. . . Like the Forester and at the low end it is less expensive and still would have AWD for 19,500 but trust the Honda brand.

Can I ask what dealership you ended up settling on?
    What other cars did you consider
  • baydrivebaydrive Member Posts: 48
    edited March 2010
    I bought a CR-V LX AWD a few months ago. My previous car was the Forester which I liked alot. I considered the CR-V, Forester and RAV-4. I was looking at low end AWD in each version and I did not receive a price on the Forester anywhere as low as $19,500 (with destination). The prices I received were all in the same range for all 3 cars (about $500 - $700 from each other). I think that the Forester might have more standard features. In any event, I definitely wanted an AWD vehicle because of snow etc.. If you live in MA or RI, you might appreciate the extra stability of AWD.

As I said, I really liked my Forester. So far, I am enjoying my CR-V and feel that it handles very well. As far as gas mileage, both my CR-V AWD and my Forester appear to be the same.
  • dgissel_98dgissel_98 Member Posts: 16
    ok, so you paid 19500, for a 2010 CRV LX AWD, and the 19500 includes destination?
    great price, Was the CRV a demo?
    What dealership did you purchase it from.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    What I do need from the board is advise on how to sell the vehicle other then from inside my development. I was ASKING $17,000, but I decided on a firm price of $15,900. Also, how would I have if I want to cancel my contract to buy the CR-V?

Put it up on ww.autotrader.com, www.ebay.com, local newspaper, nearest big city newspaper....

All in all it may cost you $200 or more to advertise, but you may eventually sell it.

Try www.craigslist.org, but be prepared to hear from people asking for payments, and offering you $2000 for it. Also, be prepapred from people wiring you a lot more "money" and expecting you to send the excess back via wire transfer (Nigerian Scam)

Good luck.
  • baydrivebaydrive Member Posts: 48
    Hey dgissel,

You misread my post. I said that I priced the Forester and I DID NOT recieve a price anywhere near $19,500 including destination. The price I payed for my CR-V LX AWD was around $21,940 (which included the destination). The price I was given for the Forester was actually a couple of hundred dollars more.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    edited March 2010
    I had a customer trading in a very high mileage car the other day and he couldn't believe the miles (165,000) on a 2001 Accord should be a problem.

"It's ALL freeway miles so it doesn't matter!"

I guess it never once set foot on a surface street?

" I change the oil every 3000 miles"

Really? Doesn't everyone?

" It's good for another 200,000 miles"

It is?

With those miles, we will wholesale tha car. Nobody will buy it.

The wholesaler will switch on the ignition, look at the odometer and make a low bid just like any other miled up car.

Oh, the A/C was blowing hot but "it only needs a charge"
  • kanchiskanchis Member Posts: 33
    edited March 2010
    Just got a quote for the following deal and would like to see what others think of it.
    2010 CRV EX-L 2WD
    $25,356(Invoice) + 399 (dealership fees)+ 30 (tag) = 25,785
    added the following options
    CARGO TRAY $118.00
    WHEEL LOCKS $76.00
    MUD GUARD $117.00
    FOG LIGHTS $535.00
    DOOR EDGE GUARDS $112.00
    BODY SIDE MOLDING $339.00
    Total for options: $1,297.00
    Final Price with options = 26,653

The options are a little pricier than the Manufacturer suggested pricing on the website but they do include installation charges as well so I think its fair. Overall I would like to know if I'm getting a good deal or not. Any info would be helpful as I'm planning on pulling the trigger within a couple days. Thanks!
  • pghcookiepghcookie Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone comment on how their Honda CR-V EX handled in the blizzard of Feb 2010? What about rain and sleet? I live in Pittsburgh, PA. Although the winter weather in Pittsburgh has not been all that bad over the last several years, I'm a single mom and need reliability in ALL types of weather.

I am a previous owner of Saabs, and never had a problem with them. They are monsters in the snow! Can't afford another Saab this time, and I'm looking for a reliable, well-made vehicle that handles well in all types of weather.

I would appreciate feedback! Thanks.

--pghcookie
    For inclement weather, look at Subaru Forester. Much more stable than any other small SUV.
  • ant26ant26 Member Posts: 3
    I'm a bit perplexed by some of the prices paid listed here. One reported a price on a 2010 CR-V EX, 4WD, of $22,906 (#9751 Baltimore, incl destination and dealer fee). The invoice on this model is $23,348, plus delivery charge $710, so it seems that their deal is $1,152 below invoice. With a dealer holdback of only $500 on this model, the dealer would be losing all of it plus about $650 more loss.

Another reported $23,489, but this is also well below invoice.

Can anyone comment on whether this is realistic? Are there other hidden profits?
  • crvdude1crvdude1 Member Posts: 47
    $23,489 is what I got.
    That includes wheel locks, mud guards, and $710 dest charge.

Not included are below: (Chicago suburb)
    Illinois Documentation fee $151.65
    Cook County Flat Tax $15.00
    License plate EVR fee $25.00
    License plates $120.00 (cheaper if you transfer the plate)

I bought another CRV from them years ago. Small dealer but no BS.
    They gave me the deal w/o hassle. Just waited for a couple hrs to clean/prep the new V and paper work. 8 miles in the odometer, brand new, right of the truck. ;)
    Drove the new V home same night.
    Re Pricing - Received the following quote from a MA dealer within the last two weeks if done through internet sales. Unfortunately there are only lease incentives on the CRV right now whereas several months ago one could get 2.9% financing.

2010 Honda CR-V 4WD EX

New MSRP $25,805
    Your *e-Price $23,388
    This price INCLUDES Destination Charge of $710
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    Well if you figure in $502.00 for dealer holdback the actual true cost is $23,556.00 so anything below that is indeed a bargain but doubt you will find too many dealers that will sell for that price let alone below it.
  • finadvfinadv Member Posts: 59
    I'm in MA also. What dealer gave you that price?

Thx!
  • mvs1mvs1 Member Posts: 462
    Our CRV handled well in the snow this past winter. Snow and sleet in similarly competent manner. We're located in CT and every car we buy is AWD or 4WD. My wife ranks it second behind here old Audi A4 in terms of traction for the vehicles we've owned. The CRV is a great combination of everything we wanted, a CUV with decent utility, good gas mileage, decent handling, good traction (AWD), as well as retaining it's value if we sell or trade it in, or will last +10 years
  • gecoffingecoffin Member Posts: 6
    I live in Norhtern Va and got a quote for $27560 not counting T&T and such
    have not picked the car up yet

Thanks
    That could be a good price if it includes the destination fee and any processing fees and possible advertising fees that the dealerships tack on. Typically destination fee is $710 and processing fees can be anywhere between $99 and $499. Do you know if $27,560 includes any of these additional fees? Is this everything except T&T?
    That sounds about just right if Dest is included.
    $4,000 above a EX.
    If you really think the navi & leather worth $4K.
    called them, the Destination charge is included, need to pay taxes, Title and $399 processing fee.
  • sdcrvsdcrv Member Posts: 2
    Could anyone please share the prices they are getting for CR-V EX in Southern California? The best I am getting is 25,700 Out the door.
    Cambridge Honda - go through internet sales dept. Good luck.
  • fsronfsron Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2010
    In the Sacramento area, I just purchased a CRV-EXL 4WD with Navi for 28,647 plus tax and license. I hope that was a pretty good deal. They also wanted to sell it with a dealer pack for 500+. Internet quote didn't include dealer pack, so they just pulled it off.

We lucked out and got the color we wanted, doesn't seem to be a lot of vehicles with Navi.
    just looked at my paper work $28,670, included all the extra's they put on the car.
    What kills u is all the taxes and such . I came to 30009.95 out the door

And it was the right color, acccording to my wife
    Yesterday I purchased - CRV LX AWD - OTD $23200 (Rounded) from Open Road Honda, NJ. I negotiated the OTD prices instead of breakup.
  • finadvfinadv Member Posts: 59
    Picked it up yesterday. $23,179 + TTL. I don't know how they could do it for that price, based on TMV, but I'll take it.
  • dew5dew5 Member Posts: 1
    what dealer did you deal with in Chicago area?
    Community Honda in Orland Park.
    Use Edmunds to get a quote from their internet manager first.
    Work out the deal and just show up at the dealer and ask for him.
    Print out a copy of the email would help. The internet manager of Community Honda is a great guy to deal with, no need to worry. The finance manager is not friendly :mad: . He tried to sell me the extended warranty (7yr/80K) for $1,400. I got it from College Hills for $775 with $0 deductible right after I got the V.
    Do you mind sharing the dealer? I'm still shopping myself and this sounds like a good price!