Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

2013 and earlier-Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• cowboy2cowboy2 Posts: 11
    Don't have anything yet. Ready to go over the holiday weekend. With destination its 20,900 plus tax, lic, and doc it comes to 23,545. I would like it better at 21,000 with everything...guess I am dreaming?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 128,222
    Dreaming..yes.. Invoice is $21,300.. Some people might be able to beat that by a thousand, but who knows why? I paid $21,800 plus tax for my '02... in April of 2002!! I think you better grab that $20,900, if that is the car you want.

regards,
    kyfdx

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Thanks for the advice. I will keep it in mind on the weekend!
  • Yep. EX Auto. We actually wanted the manual but damned if I could find one in a reasonable amount of time.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 20,225
    I have no idea what inventories are like in CA. The price you will pay has everything to do with supplies. The dealer has no control over tax and license and since I no longer live in So. Calif, I don't know what your tax rate is.

Good Luck...it doesn't have to be a painful experience. If you feel comfortable, just go for it and move on!
  • Cowboy2 - Keeping in mind that I purchased the same car ('04 CR-V EX Auto White, no extras in So. Calif.) in Dec. '03, your OTD price sounds a little high. In 12/03 the invoice for the same car was $20,830 and to this I added $490 for destination and DEDUCTED $677 for dealer holdback to give me my starting offer of $20,643. Agreed on a price of $20,793 and my OTD price was $22,640. The numbers may have changed but the idea is the same.

This is a great forum and if you go back a few months you will see that many with the same car have gotten some great deals and offer great advice.

A few tips: Definitely go at the END of the month, take the invoice with dealer holdback with you and make the first offer. Tell them you are going to buy a car that day and be willing to go to another dealer if necessary.
    Once you have a deal make sure they don't tack on any unsually high fees. Best regards and keep us posted.
    The dealers are well aware of what they pay for the cars.

Why a dealer would sell a CRV for invoice minus holdback is beyond me but, hey, if they are willing to do this, go for it!
    Where did you purchase your car..what dealer?
  • ace2004ace2004 Posts: 22
    What are the 2004 CRV AWD are selling for in NY, NY / Metropolitan area... EX & LX. Thanks Guys
    I hope you are there! I just got an offer of 20,888 plus tax and lic. I am hesitant because I am not looking forward to payments again!...Please respond asap!
  • kapoleikapolei Posts: 1
    Relatively new resident of Hawaii so 1st time buying car here...what I have noticed is that there are only 3 Honda dealerships here...buying anywhere else & ship would add more costs than is worth...so anyone get a "good deal" in Hawaii (Oahu)...all "Doc Fees" in Hawaii in newspapers look like around $200...which seems higher than on mainland.
    I've heard good things about Winward Honda.
  • Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier but I just saw your note. I purchased by CR-V '04 EX Auto at Buena Park Honda in Dec. '03.

FYI, at the time the salesperson told me it was good I had the paperwork showing the numbers so he could take this to his manager. Of course I know that they know the same numbers. Best regards.
  • I just bought my first car, the CR-V EX Automatic. I have researched this car for two years prior to biting the bullet and making payments again. Very pleasant experience. I am a female and the first dealer I went to (Fremont Honda in California) tried to sell it to me with the options I wanted (cargo cover, roof rack, front splash guards) for $27k. I then went to San Leandro Honda and got the price I wanted. $23,400 out the door, tax/license/options/dealer fees etc. I think I got a pretty decent price tag. I knew the invoice price going in and you can find option prices on the Honda.com website. Best wishes to everyone else in search of a deal.
  • What was the name of the dealer you used?Iam shopping dealers in NY & NJ area.What was dealers fees?Doc. Mv. etc, etc.Used the internet,found that the internet people were higher then the dealers they worked for.Found out that NJ dealers fees were very high.Feel free to give me any input on this. Thanks
  • bshelbshel Posts: 232
    If you dont mind travelling a little further out of your area, I purchased my 2004 EX MT at Scott Honda in West Chester, PA - west of Phil about 40 min. They seem to be a good dealer - competed against other smaller dealership quotes I had gotten in this area.
  • Thanks for your reply.What was the dealers doc. fees? MVO fees or any other fees? In New Jersey the dealers fees DOC b/t $91.50-$189.00,MVO B/t$79.00-$120.00. I had one dealers tell me they had a $28.00 computer set up fee.These high doc. fees remind me of the window etching scam,big,big profit for the dealer. You can not tell me that it cost $189.00 to have the paper work done.These high fees (all deal profit) change the price of the vehicle. Thanks
  • Yesterday I bought a crv ex auto in New Rochelle, NY for 20990 including destination charge. I paid an extra 150 for a red car swop and 1500 for an extended warranty of 7yrs 75000 miles. My financing was at 4.2% for 60 months. I paid 67.5 for doc fee, tires return and registration. Do you think I got a good deal? Thanks.
  • qheqhe Posts: 4
    I just got a price $19,300 Out the door for a 2004 Honda CR-V LX 2WD Auto. How do your guys think about this deal? Is it good?
    The invoice is $17556. I appreciate any comments. I am in Kentucky. Does anyone buy a new LX 2WD in KY or indiana recently?
  • qheqhe Posts: 4
    I just got a price $19,300 Out the door for a 2004 Honda CR-V LX 2WD Auto. How do your guys think about this deal? Is it good?
    The invoice is $17556. I appreciate any comments. I am in Kentucky. Does anyone buy a new LX 2WD in KY or indiana recently?
  • You can find dealerships who aren't ripping you off with a lot of junk fees in NJ. I did have one dealer tell me that it was $189 for doc fees and then another $90 or so for the fees paid to MVD. This same dealer was into the window etching, keyed lug nut, etc. Ka Ching Ka Ching. And then they couldn't understand why I didn't want to buy from them.

Other dealers that I spoke to in Jersey were charging more than $100. Some less.

The dealer that I did my deal with in NJ (Academy in Old Bridge) charged me something like $98 doc fee. It was a bit more than I wanted to pay ($55 seems more reasonable) but the deal that I negotiated wasn't worth losing for $45 (pennywise, pound foolish). But of course on the buyer's form the dealership had the fee printed on the form, implying that it wasn't negotiable.

Good luck.
  • bshelbshel Posts: 232
    I would find out the dealership manager's name - who ever is the highest person you can find. My first trip to one of the dealer's resulted in unpleasantness and It seemed they did not want to sell me the car, and this was meeting with one of the internet salespersons so we had already had discussions prior to visit. I did walk on that day. But, they still hadn't sold the MT that I wanted, so I persisted. I was able to negotiate a much better deal by alerting the appropriate person to my dissatisfaction at the dealer.

I'm not sure Honda Corp has much control over the dealer experience in this type of situation.

Stress your disappointment, and not your anger. I also asked them to be sure that the person who initially came in on the negotiations was not privy to any part of the profit.
    You have posted this same story in at least four different forums.

If the story happened exactly as described, you have every right to be upset. No excuse for being rude in such a manner. As a Honda salesperson, I apologize for that person's behavior. This makes us all look bad.

Still, there are two sides to every story and I would have liked to listen in on that conversation!
  • Thanks for a helpful reply. I want to visit the dealer just to see what kind of people I'm dealing with. Perhaps some good will come out of it. I run a business myself, and I just can't comprehend why anyone would resort to behavior like that unless they have some personal problems at home. Even then...it's no excuse.
  • Was $22,200 out the door pricing, did you finance through Dick Ide? If so, at whate rate?
  • I wish I recorded the conversation because it was so unexpected. If I had given him any reason such as raising my voice or demanding something unreasonable, I would understand. I was totally calm and reasonable the entire time. I posted them on Honda Accord, Civic, Pilot, and Odyssey price paid forums to somehow influence people's decision to buy from them. It probably doesn't hurt the salesguys or dealers but isn't this forum about letting other people our buying experiences?
  • mirthmirth Posts: 1,212
    Well, by blasting every forum with your tale you come off as someone with an axe to grind, and we long-term forum readers take those people with a big grain of salt. The people who yell the loudest on the internet often yell the loudest in the dealership as well. We've even had times when the salesperson came on and posted their side of the story and cast what seemed to be a black-and-white inconsiderate salesperson into doubt.

I'm not calling you a liar. I'm just saying we don't know you and spamming the forum doesn't make anyone inclined to listen to you.
  • Kelly 5

I went with a friend to buy her 2004 CRV EX last week at Dick Ide Honda in Rochester New York. She paid 1400 dollars for a Honda Warranty that was 7 year/100,000 miles. Plus if you contact Curry Honda in Massachussets, they will sell you the same warranty after coupons for something like 1050 dollars. If your CRV is going to cost you money, it will likely happen between 90 and a 100K miles.

Good luck with your new wheels. I cant wait for the 2005's so I can get one.

2 Year
  • don't get hung up on the NJ doc fees. Of course it's a part of the dealer profit. Your only concern should be out the door price.

I paid a doc fee of $189 at Planet Honda...but they were $800 cheaper than any other deal I could find.

I got my lowest price from them by a follow up call with an Internet sales person, then negoiated with her, from their. A few days later, after extensive shopping, we settled on the price on the phone. I drove over, and bought the car...painlessly. No ridiculous attempts to bump me up.

Good luck...it's really a great vehicle.
  • $21500 Drive-out: AWD EX with sunvisor, 4 mudguards, paint-protection, which are those included in appearance group.
    BTW 5% tax.