Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

BMW 3-Series 2006

Comments

• Options
    paulepaule Member Posts: 382
    Speaking (or is that writing?) about Jeeps, did anyone see the new Jeep commercial about the Hemi GC out accelerating a 325xi?
    Maybe I can do a little test on that shortly. My wife's 325xi should be delivered in a few weeks and a Hemi GC is my next vehicle (alas, a year or two out however).
    Of course, I could always go test drive one in about a month... ;)
  • Options
    kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    LOL, it's not about the fact the hemi can outaccelerate the 325. It's about how much gas it uses to accomplish that feat vs the 325.
  • Options
    paulepaule Member Posts: 382
    Ahhh, true, but the Hemi has cylinder deactivation on the GC so that must mean it gets something like 40 MPG, right? I read that on the internet so it must be true!
    Actually in reality, I believe the new GC gets better gas mileage than my current '98 6 cylinder GC.
    If only I could tow a trailer and get over 4WD Colorado mountain passes with a BMW, I could go back to driving a car...........
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,439
    Extra, Extra, I read all about it in Autoweek. I didn't like what I saw. While I have no doubt the E90 will perform brilliantly as far as acceleration, handling, braking, balance, and all the other wonderful traits and attributes that BMW engineers have implanted in their vehicles. From the pictures, I don't like it. I'll of course reserve my judgement for when I see the sheet metal painted and formed in front of my eyes. I can't believe they abandoned the cockpit wrap-around interior styling!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    rich545rich545 Member Posts: 386
    Just wanted to let everyone here know (in case you didn't already) that the 06 3 Series pictures and video are now posted on BMW's Owner Circle website. I like it, but then I already have a Bangled 545. Those who dislike Bangle's designs probably won't like the interior much, but may like the exterior better than the 5, 6 or 7.
  • Options
    blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Rich,

I actually think the 545i is sexy as hell. I used to dislike it but at least it's got verve in a see of bland, jelly bean cars. Unfortunately, the picks of the upcoming 3 go that route...jelly bean. Bummer. Maybe in person it will look decent.
  • Options
    wco81wco81 Member Posts: 590
    BTW, the new BMW 3-series will be in Gran Turismo 4 for the Playstation 2. People can see the cars in the game well before they're available for sale in the US.
  • Options
    cybersolcybersol Member Posts: 91
    Thanks, it does look like the Quadradrive II system can proactively and efficiently transfer torque to individual wheels using the eLSD in each axle.
  • Options
    rich545rich545 Member Posts: 386
    I agree and it's really one hell of a car to drive. I raced an M3 about a month ago and he couldn't keep up. I think the new 3 has to be a bit more understated though. It's really more of the cash cow for the company so they should be more conservative with it's design IMHO. I had a 330xi before the 545 and I loved it. Trading it in was actually very tough. I don't think the 06 3 is bad at all. It will take some getting used to, but then I hated the E60 too when it first came out.
  • Options
    bmwcccbmwccc Member Posts: 234
    Here are a couple shots from Germany.

http://www2.autospies.com/article/index.asp?articleId=3621

So, there definitely are not going to have a SMG option on this transmission. At 6.1 sec 0-60 for manual, what should the Steptronic come in?

-Hoping this thing gets here sooner than predicted-
  • Options
    planomlplanoml Member Posts: 244
    Thanks. Do you know if they will have the SMG on both the 325 & 330? I also heard that the Steptronic will be more improved.
  • Options
    No SMG at all.
  • Options
    rqcrqc Member Posts: 95
    >Could you list them for me? I would like to go read about them

The Haldex AWD system in the Volvo S60R did that before the Acura system did. There was a demonstration of an S60R on an inclined platform where they could take away traction to any or all wheels where they were taking away traction from three wheels at a time and you could watch all the wheels stop turning except for the one with traction. The system adjusted within 1/7 of each wheel rotation.

The only additional feature the Acura system offers is the ability to spin the outside wheel faster by up to 5% to promote (hopefully slight) oversteer when it might be helpful getting around a turn.
  • Options
    rqcrqc Member Posts: 95
    >No SMG at all.

That doesn't sound right, but I guess it's possible (but very stupid).

http://www.auto123.com/en/info/news/previews,view,BMW.spy?artid=3- 1196&pg=6

"For 2004 3.0-liter rear-wheel drive cars a 6-speed SMG, or sequential manual gearbox has been offered. BMW makes no mention of the SMG's availability in the 2006 model, but it most likely will be part of the options list."

The list of other stupid things: no in-dash CD changer (please! join us earthlings down here!) and the Nav system will require iDrive - yuck!
  • Options
    cybersolcybersol Member Posts: 91
    Volvo S60R
    "TRACS, Volvo's traction control and management system, oversees cross-axle torque transfer by application of ABS-style intervention strategies."

This uses the ABS/TCS type of control to distrute torque left to right across an axle. You would still be better off with an well controlled LSD (one designed for high torque requirements) like in Quadradrive II. I beleive the electromagetic cluthes in the RL SH-AWD can perform the same as an electronic LSD for the rear axle.

"feature the Acura system offers is the ability to spin the outside wheel faster by up to 5%"

I also believe this is the most unique and innovative feature of the SH-AWD. But the fact that the one unit does the above, plus front/rear axle torque distribution, plus acting as a rear axle LSD is really cool also :)

Its exciting to see everyone push AWD technology forward. To relate this back to this forum, xDrive appears to be much better than BMW's old system.
  • Options
    The X drive system is pretty impressive. My Dad's '04 X5 has it and the truck goes through anything as far as inclement weather is concerned. I love how when you're just cruising down the highway you're driving a RWD car.

The SH-AWD system is really cool. My Prelude is actually a type SH model that can send up to 80% of the power to the outside wheel during hard cornering. It eliminates understeer and I've actually coaxed the car to slide the tail out around a corner a few times.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    I had a hard time believing that. It would seem BMW would keep SMG as an option. Perhaps the Steptronic will be improved, but I can't immagine it being close to the SMG.
  • Options
    "An improved semi-automatic gearbox titled CSG (central synchronised gearbox - similar to Audi's DSG) will be available at the end of 2006. Unlike Audi's double clutch system, it will feature a single clutch that can operate significantly faster than BMW's current SMG."

Found this on a car review site. So, do we waite till the end of 2006 for this, or get the car in May?
  • Options
    You have got to be kidding me. By the time I get this car in March-June, I will have waited an entire 12-15 months.

My Jeep blew up in March of 04' and I decided to do a rental lease until this fricken 2006 3 series came out. I get financially reimbursed through work for auto so paying a lease rental is not killing me but the wait is.

So to wait for a 2007 3 series for CSG which I know I will want will put me in the funny farm for sure.

I hope they have it available by June or don't come out with it at all for a couple more years down the road.

By the way, what is the URL for the car review, i would be curious to read about it.

Thanks
  • Options
    m4d_cowm4d_cow Member Posts: 1,491
    does it even matter at all? i mean sure its easier to operate than manual, but what can match the sensation of driving the good ol' stick?
  • Options
    bmwccc-I have a 10 year old 325i, so I know what it is to wait. I was just joking-there will always be something better the next year. So where do you draw the line. I'm getting the E90 next year. Here is the link

http://www.motoring.co.za/index.php?fSectionId=754&fArticleId- =2176896

m4d_cow-It does matter. I was so happy to hear we would be getting a 6spd standard. But, for me it's a choice of automatic or divorce (joke). I thought the SMG would be a nice compromise.
  • Options
    pierce01pierce01 Member Posts: 2
    My lease on my 2002 325i is up in August 2006. Perfect timing to get a new E90. That said, I've seen the 2006 spy shots, and I'm not all that enthused.

Don't get me wrong, I am salivating at getting the extra horsepower (most sources say 218hp - its about time the base car had +200 horses), and I think the exterior is attractive and modern. I just hate Bangle interiors.

My budget has grown since 2002, so I could actually get into a 525i if I wanted to. I love the exterior on the 5, but the interior turns me off. Well, compared to the 5, the spy shots of the 3-series interior make me gag. I love the interior of my E46. Hopefully it won't look as flat as those photos.

Otherwise, I'll have to settle for an X3, or, hold your breath,...a Cadillac STS.
  • Options
    rascalerascale Member Posts: 19
    I have to agree wholeheartedly. I just bought another 325 to replace my last one before the E90 is released. The interiors on the E90 are indeed hideous. I am a bit cool on the exterior design as well. I think it is a bit conservative for my tastes.
  • Options
    deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    Patience, patience.

Wait until you actually sit in the E90 for a test-drive and determine if the interior is so hideous. Pictures can be misleading. I saw some unimpressive pictures of the Audi A4 interior before sitting in one. Sitting in one versus see a picture can be quite an opinion changer.

What I do not understand is why BMW removed its driver-centered cockpit design? This is quite a disappointment, but not quite the deal-breaker. Cant wait until Spring/Summer to test drive one.
  • Options
    robs_placerobs_place Member Posts: 24
    Will keep my 2003 for as long as I can, can't improve on perfection.

The 2006 is overdone and bloated.
    Would never drive a manual transmission that's any bigger than the current 3 series.

I place my hopes on the 1 series to get back to basics.
  • Options
    shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    "Would never drive a manual transmission that's any bigger than the current 3 series."

Yikes, I guess I'm stupid, I LOVE driving larger cars with manual transmissions. ;-) Back when I worked for MB-USA, I did a project over in Stuttgart and got a chance to drive a W210 E420 with a five speed manual. While the shifter was rather clunky (kinda like the one on my old 1970 Dodge Challenger), the manual tranny absolutely made the car. Too bad that they wouldn't import that beastie over here. :-/

I currently drive a 530i 5-Speed (three pedal version) and I'm leaning toward getting an E90 with the 6-Speed manual. FWIW, I rather like the exterior styling of the new car, and while the new Banglesque interior leaves me cold, I suspect that I'll learn to live with it. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    I'm with you. I would love to get a 6spd as a standard. The wife is trying to talk me into a step. If the have the SMG, I might consider it, otherwise 6spd all the way.
  • Options
    robs_placerobs_place Member Posts: 24
    Your point is well taken, shipo.
    No doubt you had a blast driving the MB 5sp.
    and I'm sure the 530i is sweet with a 5sp.

It's just my personal bias, big car must have automatic trannys. I considered the Cadillac STS and Pontiac GTO, and I would've gone with the automatics all the way.

Rob
  • Options
    ctmaxctmax Member Posts: 6
    When the new 2006 3-series is introduced are they expected to sell for MSRP until the novelty wears off?

Was this the practice when the last 3 and 5 series were introduced?

I suppose it depends on location. I live in CT.
  • Options
    smpoolsmpool Member Posts: 33
    Will they be bringing the new generation 3 series wagon to the US? Or will the X3 eliminate that possibility?
  • Options
    Don't know where in CT you live, but the parts of CT near me (Westchester, NY) the people have lots and lots and lots of money (like $40+ grand for a new '06 330i to be the first on the block to have it is like five bucks to you and me). I think you can expect the cars to go for MSRP (maybe $500 - $1000 off MSRP if you're a repeat customer) for a while and I wouldn't expect any significant discount anytime soon because the demand for the car will be high and it will be in short supply until production catches up. Maybe you might want to try a BMW dealer outside of Fairfield County like maybe in Hartford.

Personally, I'm waiting for incentives on an '05 330i ZHP in January/February '05 so I can lease it. There's not much of a market for RWD performance sedans here in the NY area during the winter.

• Options
    Thank you for the advice.

I live in the Hartford area, so your advice is well taken.

I just hope that the new 2006 3 series will get better reviews than the recent very negative reliability reports for both the 5 and 7 series.

I am very interested in the 2006 325XI. The present 2005 325XI is a bit smaller and less powerful than the new 2006 will be.
  • Options
    Confirmed by two dealers the Touring wagon will be available sometime during fall. I myself am waiting to place an order for the new 325xi touring. Also xi will be equipped with x drive.
  • Options
    you probably won't see an E90 325xi for a while. The first cars being rolled out will probably all be 330is (plural) with steptronic, premium package, & Cold Weather package. Then they will roll out with the 325i, then the AWD xi models.

• Options
    i recently read an auto article which address chris bangle as FORMER bmw's chief of design, does that mean hes been sacked already???
  • Options
    i recently read an auto article which address chris bangle as bmw's FORMER chief of design, does that mean hes been sacked already???
  • Options
    cartalkcartalk Member Posts: 147
    No, Bangle is still there.

BMW AG announced that named Adrian van Hooydonk to be the chief of design for its BMW brand. Chris Bangle, former head of the design group, will take over as Director of BMW Group Design as part of a reshuffling of the design department. He will oversee a reorganized set of styling departments including Mini and Rolls-Royce. Adrian van Hooydonk will head the BMW automobile brand studio.
  • Options
    "you probably won't see an E90 325xi for a while"

What do you define as "a while"?

My info are from two dealers. They claim the 325xi Touring will sell a few months after the 330i/325i.

Dealers are known to be wrong! I would appreciate knowing your information sources, because my goal is to buy a new car not later than fall 05.
  • Options
    wstevecwstevec Member Posts: 126
    Hopefully the 325xi will be available as soon as the other 3 Series. I am from the New England region and about 50% of the 325 on the lots are xi. I am sure BMW will want to make them available ASAP in the colder regions of the the US and Canada since they are such big sellers in these regions.
  • Options
    I am also planning on purchasing a new car, hopefully a 325XI no later than the fall of 2005. I have noticed that here in Central CT that about 50% of the 2003 to 2005 325 models are 325XI's.

With Audi coming out with their new A4 shortly I would hope that BMW will be pro-active and introduce the 325XI early on.
  • Options
    If BMW does not have a xi touring by next fall, I may consider the Audi A4 Avant.

Next year I want to avoid driving my 99 323i during Toronto winters.
  • Options
    novicenovice Member Posts: 64
    The new BMW magazine has a "sneak" preview of the new 3 series, and it says the 330i sedan will be available first, with other models to follow.
  • Options
    "The new BMW magazine has a "sneak" preview of the new 3 series, and it says the 330i sedan will be available first, with other models to follow"

really? now thats good news. i still dont like the rear end, but its growing on me...also somehow im starting to like the 5 better w/ 18" wheels, 17s make it look weird, even worse w/ 16s.
  • Options
    psyran1psyran1 Member Posts: 27
    What BMW magazine are you referring to? Roundel? or is there a magazine titled "BMW Magazine"? Couldn't fine any reference on the net.
  • Options
    novicenovice Member Posts: 64
    It's the magazine sent to buyers from BMW. I don't have it here so I can't tell you more than that. The article was just two pages with a picture of the new E90 and most of the description addressed the 330i. It indicated the 330i will be rolled out first, with other versions to come later. This squares with information on this thread suggesting the 325xi won't likely appear until the fall of 2006.
  • Options
    "What BMW magazine are you referring to? Roundel? or is there a magazine titled "BMW Magazine"? Couldn't fine any reference on the net."

theres a monthly BMW magazine exclusively for customers only, but i havent seen any in US so far.
  • Options
    andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,392
    I picked up a copy of BMW Magazine at
    Barnes & Noble for $7.99. It is indeed published by BMW of NA.

The article on the E90 was brief and not terribly informative, I got more info from Autoweek.

I see more E39 in the new 3er than E46, anyone else?

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• Options
    "I see more E39 in the new 3er than E46, anyone else?"

Me too. That's one reason why I'm thinking of replacing my 2002 E39 530i with a 2006 E90 330i. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    I second the E39 view. The interior of the E90 is said to be basicly the same as the E39. The E90 front appears to have a lot in common with the E60, IMHO. They even threw in a rear a/c in the E90. I think the 3-series is aging with the baby boomers-more room, more convenience.

I wonder how the car will feel and handle, though. I will, however, miss the classic look of the E39.
  • Options
    "I will, however, miss the classic look of the E39."

Yeah, me too. I was walking up to my car the other day in a very large parking lot full of SUVs and Pick-Up trucks (I live in New Hampshire after all) and thinking to myself, "Damn, that's one fine looking car." There have been precious few cars that felt that way about so long after their debut on the market. I'm thinking the list is something like this:

Cars with enduring designs...
    1) Jaguar E-Type
    2) Pretty much any '50s through 1983 vintage Ferrari (except the 4-Door types)
    3) BMW M-1
    4) BMW E39 (especially 2001 and later models)
    5) Dodge Challenger (especially 1970)
    6) Dodge Charger (especially 1968-1970)
    7) Corvette (early to mid 1960s especially the 1963 Split Window)
    8) Lincoln Continental Mark III
    9) Late 1960s Chevy Camaro
    10) Ford Mustang 1965-1966

That leaves only one 4-Door sedan on my "Top 10" list, the E39. Will the E90 endure as well as the E39? I'll report back in eight or ten years. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
This discussion has been closed.