Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

BMW 3-Series 2006

Comments

• Options
    hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    Make mine a 2006 330i and another vote for Katie.
  • Options
    planomlplanoml Member Posts: 244
    What's your flavour?
  • Options
    sunilbsunilb Member Posts: 407
    exterior is okay... boring, but okay. Looks more American than anything previously from Munich.

Interior appears to have lost some quality plastics. Looks cheap, and the lack of a driver-focused console is a cost-cutting move.

It'll be interesting to see how the pricing turns out. If they do anything like they did with the new 5-series (in terms of pricing), I think they are asking for trouble.

Again, I think Lexus has a great opportunity to surpass the 3-series with their upcoming IS (not sure they'll take advantage of it, but the opportunity is there).
  • Options
    psyran1psyran1 Member Posts: 27
    I spoke with sales people at two local BMW dealerships today. The first guy informed me that the new 3 would be out about this time next year. When I informed him of the talk online, he pulled up a dealer only web site which clearly stated that the three would be in "your showrooms by early spring". The other dealership was just as ignorant of the release estimate. I don't get it. These guys are supposedly the experts, but were not at all aware of the estimated release schedule. Anybody else experience this phenomena.
  • Options
    Firebird_EOUFirebird_EOU Member Posts: 250
    It mentioned 13% fuel efficiency increase so we are looking at 27 mpg highway, up from 24?
  • Options
    ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    Interior, looks 'odd' to me.

Not that it looks bad, just something doesn't look right...something is out of place, but I can't put my finger on it. It does however look bold and unconventional which is a good thing.

If you compare the interior to the upcoming Infiniti M35, or the TL (or my favorite the Touareg) it appears to be lacking (in something).

Perhaps you need to sit in it to appreciate it; who knows, in real life it may turn out to be earth shattering.

Exterior, nice…except the rear lights...seen them somewhere before...Nissan, not sure...I know I've seen them some where.
  • Options
    What makes the interior look odd and just not right is that cursed, annoying, complicated and distracting i-drive. They just refuse to listen to their customers. Hey BMW-we don't want it!!! We don't need it!!!
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,434
    A normally reliable salesman on another forum says they are expecting "demo" cars in May, with stock to follow in June..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    m4d_cowm4d_cow Member Posts: 1,491
    Exterior, nice…except the rear lights...seen them somewhere before...Nissan, not sure...I know I've seen them some where

thats exactly what i thought, im also sure it looks like a nissan's, maybe an '01 maxima?

the interior lacks quality feel and both design and materials used look cheap
  • Options
    kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    I'm very excited. BMW did a great job on the exterior and interior. With horsepower up and fuel economy up (price up also) it will be a winner. Hopefully they will make xdrive an option instead of the current AWD system. Maybe an LSD to boot.

With fuel econonomy up that means 36/28 if I drive the same type of trip.

Six seconds is that auto or manual? If BMW is saying six, the mags will squeeze 5 out of it.
  • Options
    Do you really think the interior is an improvement over the E46? I like the car overall, but the new "non-cockpit" interiors really turn me off.

It doesn't seem as bad with the 5-series, but when I drove a Z4, that flat dash just seemed out of place.. Other than the grill lines running down through the bumper, it is the only thing I dislike about the car. Not enough to not make me want it, though.. ..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    "Hopefully they will make xdrive an option instead of the current AWD system."

I read somewhere that the new 325/330xi will be equipped with xdrive. I would not bother buying the brand new e90 touring with an old AWD system.
  • Options
    "the interior lacks quality feel and both design and materials used look cheap"

I will defer my judgement about the interior until I actually sit in a e90. I just hope the fit and finish of the e90 does not resemble the x3. My friend drove me around in his x3 and I was stunned how flimsy the interior quality was. The interior of a Honda CRV puts the x3 interior to shame(especially at a fraction of the price).

In fact the x3 does not even feel like a BMW. It feels more like a Magna x3(name of the assembler)
  • Options
    I'll reserve judgement about the cockpit vs noncockpit, because I think that's a matter of style. On one hand I like the seeming added room, on the other hand I miss the cockpit feel. So I don't think it's a deal clincher or deal breaker for me.

To me the real deal clincher is the innovation in the engine and larger interior capacity.

I'm also real interested in their alternative fuels program. The way to get off the oil ride is to power the cars with something other than gas.
  • Options
    Well...same here, sort of.. If it drives like a BMW, then the cockpit thing won't sway me..

It is funny, though.. one of the reasons for getting the 3-series was it was small and sporty.. Fortunately, the extra size on the E90 doesn't come with extra weight.

I don't think BMW has anything in the near future as far as alternative fuels.. they seem to be betting on hydrogen, but anything like that has to be ten years or more away..

I like the idea of diesels for better economy, without sacrificing power, but that is still an oil derivative. Much simpler than the current hybrid craze, though.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    BMW's hydrogen endeavors will have as much influence on my 3 series purchase as the pursuit to preserve the Monarch butterfly in the Amazon region.

"Much simpler than the current hybrid craze."

This hybrid craze is certainly contagious and BMW has not been inoculated. In a few years BMW intends to introduce a hybrid x5. This X5 will produce an amazing 1,000Nm of torque at 1,000rpm - far more than any other BMW. I dont think BMW is thinking about saving our planet with this vehicle.
  • Options
    But with gas at $100/barrel, we might want to.
  • Options
    ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    I'm glad they won't be trying to save the planet with the X5 hybrid (730+ lb/ft).

No car, or all cars, won't save or condemn the planet.

Though, I've said it before, if improved mileage will let me give the middle east the big middle finger, I'm all for it.
  • Options
    planomlplanoml Member Posts: 244
    I've been around here since 2001, & have enjoyed your comments. If I remember correctly, you have done a few ED's. What are your thoughts on the E90 as an ED-normal price break, timing, etc. Also, do you know if the SMG will be available on the 325? I really like the 6speed, but can't come up with a good story to discourage the wife.
  • Options
    superphilsuperphil Member Posts: 6
    Does anyone have any idea on when the 06 330ci is coming out????
  • Options
    wstevecwstevec Member Posts: 126
    I had the same problem with my dealership, the salesman said Fall, then I told him the correct time in Spring/Early Summer (based on the BMW international site) and then he checked into with his "manager" who informed him that they already had been taking deposits on the 2006s. I guess most of these guys still think only short term, if they can't sell you a car today they are not interested in helping you since they may be working at another dealership the following week.
  • Options
    The last rumor I heard was September, '05.. But, as of yet, no pictures of the new coupes are out...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    This may apply only to Canada (although I believe the Intro should be the same on both sides of our border as it has been previously ---new 5 series,6 series, x5 ,x3). Talked to a sales manager and he specifically said June will be the earliest date to get a e90. Also the Touring 325xi with xdrive will be out a few months later(hoping it will be September before a snowflake lands on our roads).

The e90 will first be shown in the Geneve Auto Show sometime in March. Will the e90 be introduced in the dealerships within days or weeks of the Auto show? Could be, but this would be unprecedented for BMW(based on my knowledge---if I am wrong please correct me)
  • Options
    jmort123jmort123 Member Posts: 1
    I just got back from Toronto BMW & the sales guy there told me that the new 3-series will be available in April.
  • Options
    I hope your sales guy is right!I should call more dealerships---seems to be a lot of contradictions.
  • Options
    Ever notice how when you talk to a salesman in person, the one phrase they don't seem to be able to utter is: "I don't know".

I think that is the reason for all the differing answers....

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Called three dealerships in Toronto : BMW Parkview ,BMW Autohaus and BMW Downtown. Based on their info: all three said around June and July. No contradictions whatsoever.
  • Options
    Well.. that is what I heard also.. Demos arrive in May.. Dealer stock in June.. From a salesman that has been reliable in the past.. And, hey.. he put it on the internet, so it has to be true!!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    superphilsuperphil Member Posts: 6
    Thanks kyfdx. I have another question, if i order a 06 330ci with the options i want and if the dealer doesn't have it, how long do i have to wait? Thanks
  • Options
    The earlier than fall intro of the e90 must be because of competitive pressures. Improved Mercedes C Class, Infiniti G35 and soon to be Audi A4 Lexus IS.

Even when you are on top, you always have to look down below.
  • Options
    rqcrqc Member Posts: 95
    Thank god iDrive is an option on this car. I'd like to see what would happen if BMW made it an option on their other cars.
  • Options
    Uh-I hate to be the bearer of bad news but not necessarily an option. Regarding the 2006 BMW 3-series, Car and Driver says idrive will come in the more expensive 3 series models-no option. October 2004 page 35:"More expensive models will get the simplified idrive system from the 5-series; base models will do without." Can you imagine you have your heart set on a 330 but you have to settle for a 325 because the 325 doesn't have the idrive but the 330 does? This is really getting bad. I was at the Tampa auto show several days ago sitting in a 530-no radio buttons or air conditioning controls. Only that big ugly knob sitting on the console. This is progress?
  • Options
    kenw1kenw1 Member Posts: 30
    Do you, or anyone else, know if the 325xi and 330xi will become available at the same time or later?
  • Options
    motowneermotowneer Member Posts: 25
    Relax. The 330i will be available with or without i-drive.
  • Options
    I hope you are right.
  • Options
    m4d_cowm4d_cow Member Posts: 1,491
    hopefully, without...
    i seriously cant imagine driving a 3er w/ i(diot) drive all the time, particularly w/ some of its function stripped downfrom the 5ers version, making it even less useful, why cant they just give us the simple ol fashioned controls :(
  • Options
    Appreciators of idrive? Now there's a small club! Anyway, thanks for that comprehensive preview of the 2006 3-series. Let's hope we don't have to wait one year to drive one as the author states.
  • Options
    wco81wco81 Member Posts: 590
    Ozzy Osborne couldn't make the voice recognition work on his 745. Not sure if he messed with the I-drive too.
  • Options
    taurus4saletaurus4sale Member Posts: 6
    I can't ever understand what Ozzy is saying either.

I'm hoping to purchase a 2006 330xi in a year or so, if such a vehicle is going to be available then. Two questions: does anyone know when/if the xi is going to be available for '06, and secondly, is "xDrive" the same technology as on earlier versions of the xi, or is it better/newer technology?

Thanks.
  • Options
    xdrive and the old AWD system on the xi are distant cousins. The old AWD split torque between front and back. xdrive delivers torque as needed to the wheels individually. It can supply any two wheels with up to 50% of available torque and vary the torque as driving conditions dictate. YOu can go to bmwusa.com to get the gory details.
  • Options
    cybersolcybersol Member Posts: 91
    xDrive can deliver 100% torque split almost instantaneously between the front and the rear axles, but it cannot send power to individual wheels. See any technical writeup, such as this one http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=30&article_id=1346. The DSC can brake individual wheels, but the xDrive can only vary power between axles.

Only SH-AWD on the Acura RL can send power to individual rear wheels.

Enjoy, cybersol
  • Options
    The xDrive system works with Dynamic Stability Control (DSC), which distributes drive to individual wheels and applies brakes where appropriate, but as driving pleasure is a crucial part of BMW's philosophy...

Actually there are a number of systems that send torque to individual wheels, Honda's system is not unique in that regard.
  • Options
    Noticed that BMW USA has updated it's web site for the upcoming 3 series.
  • Options
    "The xDrive system works with Dynamic Stability Control (DSC), which distributes drive to individual wheels and applies brakes where appropriate"

So xDrive only sends power to the front or rear axles and DSC/ABS are left to brake individual wheels. This is not the same as being able to send engine torque to individual rear wheels without losing the power through braking.

"Actually there are a number of systems that send torque to individual wheels, Honda's system is not unique in that regard"

Could you list them for me? I would like to go read about them.

Thanks, cybersol
  • Options
    dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    from the audi website:

"Under ideal conditions power is split 50/50 front to rear. But in extreme cases up to 67% of the engine's power can be directed to a single wheel"

That's basically what the acura can do ( 70% to one axle, 100% to one side ). It also only claims to work for the rear wheels.

Acura has 70%front 30% rear by default, and BMW has 40% front and 60%rear by default. All these can vary by some ratio. I think subaru keeps a 50/50 ratio. Haldax (volvo) is 95% front; it's basically FWD unless there is slippage.

Using the brakes to switch power L/R isn't much "throwing it away" as it makes the differntial shift the power. Also, it's not as if it's happening all the time--just when tires have broken loose. If that's happening *all the time* with a 50K luxury car, you have either issues or too much money,

dave
  • Options
    "Using the brakes to switch power L/R isn't much throwing it away as it makes the differntial shift the power."

The left-right shift via braking is similar to using the TCS/ABS system to brake the slipping wheel and thus transfer power to the non-slipping wheel. A limited slip differential (LSD) accomplishes the same thing but transfers torque more effectively with less waste. For best performance, you want the LSD.

xDrive uses a TCS/ABS like method instead of a LSD like method. Quattro also uses TCS/ABS like braking, but they call it Electronic Differential Lock via braking. A performance oriented AWD system uses some type of LSD instead (Subaru WRX STI for example).
  • Options
    bmwcccbmwccc Member Posts: 234
    All this xDrive talk is great but:

BRING ME THE 2006 330I NOW!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Look at Jeeps new Quadradrive system... and the old one. Could send almost 100% torque to one wheel just to name one.
This discussion has been closed.