Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series 2006

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    I'll be sure and let my wife know of your philosophy.. lol..

Must be a lot flatter there.. Lots of hills, where I live...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Hmmm, I don't know for sure. A couple of things that you might try:

1) check your cookie settings to confirm that "bmwtransact.com" is being allows to save a cookie on your system (assuming you have IE6).

2) clear your browser cache.

3) go to the MacroMedia site and download the latest Shockwave plug-in (required for the "Build Your 3" feature)

http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod- _Version=ShockwaveFlash

Anybody else have any suggestions?

Best Regards,

Shipo
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    Sounds like a flash issue. Underneath the main (dark gray) links, you should see "build your 3," "sign up for updates," "send to a friend," and "grand turismo 4."

Were you able to see the intro flash?

(in case you're still looking for something to get me for Valentine's Day, I like the red/gray leather :))

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• planomlplanoml Member Posts: 244
    Shipo, Kirstie-thanks. I don't see the "build your own" etc. I am able to see the intro flash. I will try to follow Shipo's suggestion. Thanks again.
  • bmwcccbmwccc Member Posts: 234
    Planoml

You need to go and readjust your screen resolution to 1024-768. Then you will see the options everyone is talking about.

I couldn't see the info also but changed the resolution and went perfect. Go to my computer, then control panel, then appearance and themes then change screen resolution and bam it is done.

SHIPO-

If the manual is 0-60 in 6.1 sec, what will the automatic come in at? Also, I have heard they may offer SMG as well,; any insight on that?

Thanks
    Hmmm, insight? No. However, I did hear something about the SMG being replaced by a more Audi-esque type of computer controlled manual gearbox (two clutches?), and that it won't go into production until at least the fall of 2005. Having said that, I unfortunately cannot vouch for the veracity of either of those statements. Given that I'm still wedded to three pedals when it comes to shifting gears, I haven't spent much time looking at the SMG type of toys.

As for performance, BMW traditionally publishes rather conservative acceleration figures, so it's a fairly certain bet that the 330i manual will probably be able to post numbers somewhere south of 6 seconds on a good day, with the Steptronic version being able to venture into the mid 6 second range on that same "good day."

My only reservation regarding the E90 is just how much I'm going to miss my E39, which has been simply the finest car I have ever driven (for my personal set of needs, wants and desires). I have a little over 6 weeks left before the 530i goes away, and then assuming my plans for the new business work out, I'll be doing an ED on a 330i in about April of 2006. Yikes, over a year with no BMW. :-(

Best Regards,

Shipo
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    I too am having problems.1 in 15 trys ! did i get it too work and i tried all the fixes. I thought it was due to my slow dial up service.

DL
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,369
    The DSG that VAG uses is made by Borg Warner and is undoubtedly destined for other cars besides VW and Audi. Porsche is going to adopt it, why not BMW?

I can tell you it's worth a test drive just to experience the speed and smoothness of DSG shifts.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

A test drive? Maybe. Buy/lease one? Not a chance, I like stirring my own too much. ;-) After all, that's why BMW got my business in the first place, the stick shift. I had been a fairly loyal VW/Audi driver with a total of 5 under my belt when for some reason they (VAG) decided to eliminate the three pedal option for the one model that fit my (then) needs, and as it turns out, it was re-instated the following model year. Weird. Anyway, I was "forced" to take a serious look at BMW, and I haven't looked back since (well, maybe a little when the E60 came out, ugh!)

Best Regards,

Shipo
  • psyran1psyran1 Member Posts: 27
    Talked to a salesperson at local dealership. Confirmed that the 325 will have a 3 liter. Of course, he then went on to say that it would have 205hp, which is the first I have heard this low of a hp number. When I questioned his hp number, he quickly stated that he really wasn't certain of that number. It never ceases to amaze me re: the lack of knowledge of supposed experts.
  • beemdoubleubeemdoubleu Member Posts: 7
    Thanks kyfdx, I'm going to continue my order. The ID sensor unlocks your doors; automatically sets your climate, seats, radio station, etc... to your liking; prevents locking the sensor inside the car; and is supposed have all the info of your car so that it can be given to the service people for speedier servicing.

I guess I don't really need all that, might have some bugs in it also. I just hope the price of the car reflects the non-existing ID sensor. I have to check on that.

Happy Driving :)
    bmwccc-thanks, I'll try that. The SMG will be available on the 330 after September. A DSG styled will be available at the same time also.

beemdoubleu-I took the ID sensor and rear shade off my list-potential for problems. If you want to see it in action go check out a 7. I'm waiting for the self drive option, where the car just drives itself as I eat, shave & read the paper :)
    "I'm waiting for the self drive option, where the car just drives itself as I eat, shave & read the paper :)"

Hmmm, do you suppose that option will be available with a clutch? ;-)

Best Regards,

Shipo
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    I think they already have that model. It's called the bus. :)

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

;-)
    The following is not a sexist joke-A friend of mine rear-ended a car, just as the light turned green, as he thought the car was moving also. A lady got out of the car in front, and her whole face was red. He was very confused, as how she received injuries like that at such a low speed. She was putting her lipstick on, and didn't notice the light change.

Back to the E90-anyone else noticed the start/stop button. Why didn't they put that on the left, in keeping with racing heritage? This might be a deal breaker for me:)
  • bmwcccbmwccc Member Posts: 234
    Shipo

One year huh, I know how you feel. I have been renting a car from Avis for 11 months now. My previous car blew up and I was steadfast on getting the new 3 so i have been driving a pontiac grand prix for the past 11 months. Can't you extend your lease on the 530i?

What is an ED?

I just heard the rumor of the SMG, I thought that might be a good compromise from the manual and automatic but not worth waiting another 6 months to get it.

Thanks

P.S. i dressed up my 330i online with Titanium silver Metallic, Black leather, 162 wheels, aluminum trim (90%), sport, navi, and steptronic (75%, i do alot of driving for work, medical device sales), plus all the other options that aren't listed like premium, sirius, fold down rear seats, ultra plush 16 way seats etc.
    BMWCCC,

Yes, I could extend the lease of the 530i, however, my business partner and I are in the midst of launching a new business, and as such, the conservative thing to do is to turn the car in and drive our spare car (a 1998 Dodge Caravan, oh joy, oh thrill) for the next year or so. Our projections suggest that keeping the car shouldn't be a problem, we are just making sure.

What's an ED? (E)uropean (D)elivery. I did that with my 530i, saved a little over $5,000 on the car, and had a ball with Mrs. Shipo (we drove from Munich to Paris via Austria and Switzerland, and then back to Munich via Luxembourg). The next time we are planning on taking the kids too. ;-)

Best Regards,

Shipo
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    I tried going to the link posted before, but was given a message that says I don't have access to that domain or site. Can someone post it again?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• giovanni1giovanni1 Member Posts: 106
    Are you looking for the link to the flash demo with the (not fully functional) build your 3 link?

http://www.bmwtransact.com/microsite/new3/maincontent.html

Try that, hope it helps.
  • bartalk2bartalk2 Member Posts: 326
    When can the new 330i be ordered?
  • wstevecwstevec Member Posts: 126
    You can order order it now. The 330i is going to be the first of the 3 Series off the line, most likely for the first 2 months of production. I ordered a 325xi with a $500 deposit, unfortunately it will not be built until sometime in the summer. You can also put down a deposit and claim the earliest ones which will likely be delivered as early as April or May if you are not picky on how it is optioned.
  • anthonymanthonym Member Posts: 7
    I am looking for some help from the forum. After receiving the ordering brochure from my local dealership I was all set on the Sparkling Graphite color. My local dealer mentioned if I wanted to see the color they had several 2005 convertible 3 series in Sparkling Graphite. After seeing it in person it was much darker than I expected and personally disappointing. In viewing several other colors, I was most impressed with the Silver Gray metallic. Since this color is not offered on the 2006 series does anyone know if the Arctic metallic closely resembles the Silver Gray?
  • usefulengineusefulengine Member Posts: 5
    From what I've seen on the internet, Arctic is a light blue-silver or blue/green-silver metallic. It is not a pure silver color.
  • webby1webby1 Member Posts: 209
    "Since this color is not offered on the 2006 series "

My 2004 330i is silver gray metallic...it has been one of the most popular colors, do not understand why it would be discontinued?

What model are you ordering and can you tell us what does the brochure list for engine sizes?

Regards,

Webby
  • bartalk2bartalk2 Member Posts: 326
    Do dealers have list of options, colors, and prices?
    Can you actually order it? as in spec it out or simply get your name on some kind of list? Pobably the latter. I doubt if an e90 can actually be "ordered". I'm sure the dealership will be happy to take a deposit, but "ordering" to specs is something else.
    Are they not offering Titanium silver any longer? Titanium certainly would be a true silver color.
    You can put a deposit down, but not much more than that. Dealers have the options list but no pricing. I'm waiting for all the info to be released, before placing my order.
  • deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    Am I the only person in this universe who wants to buy a either a Jet Black or Alpine White BMW e90 (standard colors).

Those metallurgical colour descriptions sound far more impressive than they look on the exterior of a car (sprkling graphite, titanium silver, metallic sapphire)!!

Never was a fan of geology!!
    Yes... you are the only one.. lol

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I cannot speak for the other colors, however, the Black Sapphire Metallic that I have on my 530i is incredible. I've had many Jet Black cars with this being my first Black Metallic and I'll tell you, I hope never to go back to the Jet Black. ;-)

Best Regards,

Shipo
    I think BMW is making two black and two white cars, for you and the other person :) "To each his own." While silver is a very popular color in the US, I think Europeans have very different tastes. That's according to a study-don't ask me which one. Ever thought about how many color variations a Farrari or Lambo comes in?
  • tslbmwtslbmw Member Posts: 172
    As the owner of an Alpine White '01 330i, I'm with you, the metallic colors just don't do it for me. IMO the 3 series looks the best in white. . . .so you're not alone!
    Actually, it looks great in a whole lot of colors.. Colors that I would never normally consider... It always amazes me when I see Electric Red... I'd never buy a red car, but everytime I see one... WOW..

I like white also, but I'm with shipo.. Sapphire Black is way better than Jet Black..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

BMW Canada site confirms the engine size.

325 I is getting the 3L engine.

Regards,

Webby

http://www.bmw.ca/microsites/e90/default.asp?lang=en
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    Webby thanks, did you have to register to get that information ? I tried to "cheat"but it only allows Canadian address's :(

DL
    Does this mean that the 325 is a better deal? If the price diff is still about $6k, I could get a lot of after-market goodies with that.
    DL,

You do not have to register...just go to the BMW Canada link from my earlier post...go to "Experience The New 3 Series"....Enter....Choose the connection, "Video" or "Compact" version....go to " Dynamics "...."6 cyl"...." Technical Data ".

Have fun !

Regards,

Webby
    Possible....but do not know the selling prices yet... at least in Canada.
    "Does this mean that the 325 is a better deal? If the price diff is still about $6k, I could get a lot of after-market goodies with that."

Hmmm, the "Better Deal" is probably a very marginal better deal in reality. When one considers that the larger engined (or in this case, the more powerful engined) BMWs typically come with an upgraded transmission, larger brakes, nicer/more expensive wheels and tires, and a number of interior goodies (including the audio system) that are hard to put a price tag on, the price differential evaporates fairly quickly.

Using the current E46 model as an example, there are a number of aftermarket bolt on toys to give a 325i the same relative engine power as a 330i, however, that cost alone eats up the price difference. Then there are brakes and wheels & tires to contend with, not to mention the potentially over-taxed transmission to worry about. In the end, my bet is that the 330i 3.0 liter will be a "Better Deal" than a breathed on 325i 3.0 liter.

Best Regards,

Shipo
    What is the logic of having a 3.0l that with identical specs of a 2.5l?

kyfdx recently posted that it may be due to CARB emission regulations. I cant think of any other reason!

Is there anybody who has more info about WHY BMW is doing this engine change!
    That is still the only info that I have.. They couldn't get the new 2.5 litre to pass emissions for California.. De-tuning the new 3.0 litre engine was evidently the most cost-effective way to accomplish it.. And.. it is actually the only thing that makes sense..

Another thought I had about it.. They might be claiming the same numbers as the 2.5 engine for marketing purposes, but it may actually have better numbers....especially in the torque department. (just my own conspiracy theory..lol).

On the issue of 325i vs. 330i pricing.. When comparably equipped (or as close as possible), the price premium drops to about $4K (at least on the current model).

regards,

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

"...but it may actually have better numbers....especially in the torque department."

Yeah, I had the same thought. As a rule, if you take any given engine and de-tune it for lower HP output, the Torque output goes UP not down as it does in this case. I wonder what BMW did to make both numbers go down.

Best Regards,

Shipo
    I believe kyfdx is correct...." due to the Carb emission regulation now and in the future"

Good news for US and Canada....rest of the world is getting the 2.5 L engine.

Also, I am interested what will they do with the 320I in Canada.

Regards,

Webby
    "Also, I am interested what will they do with the 320I in Canada."

I hear that BMW is going to use a de-tuned 4.5 liter V8 for Canada only because the new I4 runs so cool and has such small water jackets that there just wasn't enough heat being generated to keep the interior of the car warm in the dead of winter. ;-)

Best Regards,

Shipo

P.S.

Ya'll know that was a joke. Right?
    Now.. I hesitate to do this.. but, being from KY, it is my civic duty..

Y'all is a conjunction of You all.. So, the apostrophe goes after the Y, not the A..

So... the way you'uns did it, just ain't right..

regards,

kyfdx

Youse guys knew that was a joke, right?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Eh ?????....Oh, I get it !

LOL

Regards,

Webby
    Oops, sorry about that. Having lived for a while in Hotlanta, Georgia and Dallas, Texas plus a stint at Quantico with Uncle Sam's Misguided Children back in the mid 1970s, I actually know it's "y'all". I must have "Fat Fingered" that one. ;-) I mean, after, "Typos" can happen to the best of us. Right?

Brest Regards,

Shipo
    320i e90--will it exist in Canada? And if it does with what engine?

My speculation is that in Canada we will not see a 320i e90 until sales begin to falter at the later stage of the product cycle.

Would it not be interesting if the 320i had 2.5l engine? Who knows eh???(at least we Canadians do not have linguistic debates outside of Quebec---eh is spelled and pronounced the same where ever you are in Canada) ;0)
This discussion has been closed.