Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

BMW 3-Series 2006

Comments

• Options
    giovanni1giovanni1 Member Posts: 106
    Shipo,

A question that perhaps you might be able to answer, if BMW is to start production of the SMG and comfort access in Sept, do you think it would be possible to take ED in Sept? The reason I asked is I just realized Oktoberfest starts on 9/17 thru 10/3 and that seems like a great time to visit Munich. ;-)
  • Options
    shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Hmmm, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to get an ED slot for an SMG E90 during the Oktoberfest period. Having said that, there are only so many of said "ED slots" for any given period of time, so you will have to reserve it early or risk missing Oktoberfest.

Warning: I was working for MB-USA in Stuttgart back in 1996 during their Volksfest season, and since I was the "Yankee", I was designated as the driver. When we got there they said, "You get only one beer tonight, and you had better have it soon." That was our queue to go find a beer hall and order up a round.

My "beer", if you could call it that, was 1.5 liters (about 50 ounces!) in a tall glass mug that was well over a foot tall (if memory serves and time hasn't made it seem taller than it was), and a bit heavy. Everybody in the hall was singing songs (drinking songs?) and part of the ritual is to swing the beer mug around during the song and take a swig during certain points. I swear, after swinging that damn thing around for a while your arm gets so tired that you need to use two hands to hold it up. Unfortunately, after looking around I noticed that NOBODY was using two hands, including the small petite looking women.

Long story short, that single beer (more like small keg) damn near knocked me on my butt. It was a very good thing that we stayed there for four or five hours given my designated driver status. Sure enough, as I drove out of the parking lot, ROADBLOCK! I was asked to get out of the car and given an on-the-spot breathalyzer test. By that time I was well below the (very low) German limit and allowed to take my very drunk passengers home. Many were not so fortunate as they had the German equivalent of a Paddy Wagon sitting right there, nearly full of Festival goers.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    wstevecwstevec Member Posts: 126
    Just wanted to share a little tid bit. One of the local dealers in the Boston area are advertising 2005 330s for $6000 off MSRP. I have not been following BMWs that long, but I have never heard of such large discounts on BMWS. Could this possibly mean that the 2006 3 Series may be arriving a little sooner than expected?
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,422
    Stop over to the Prices Paid board.. There is a $4200 dealer cash incentive on the '05 330i.. The incentive was $3800 for January and February..

$6K is really not that good of a deal, considering the incentives.. A fair deal, maybe.. and the most I would consider paying...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    This weekend I received an envelope from the BMW CCA, which turned out to be an invitation to the "3 Across America" series of sneak previews of the E90, which is happening here in the Boston area on 28-March-2005. Cool!

While reading the "Invitation" I noticed a line that says, "The first 50 people to register will receive a gift and complimentary admission to the special activities..." I called this morning and was given a confirmation number to the event and as the operator was closing the conversation she said, "Okay Mr. Shipo, you are confirmed to DRIVE the new 3-Series at 9:00 AM on the 28th of March. Good bye."

After she hung up I just sat there like a fool with my mouth hanging open (flies buzzing in and out), "I get to drive one?" How cool is that? I guess that is what they meant by "special activities..."

I'll keep y'all posted. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    For those of you who are interested, the BMW CCA events happening around the country are scheduled as follows:

24-Mar - New York, NY
    25-Mar - New York, NY
    26-Mar - New York, NY
    28-Mar - Boston, MA
    30-Mar - Philadelphia, PA
    01-Apr - Washington, DC
    03-Apr - Greensboro, NC
    05-Apr - Atlanta, GA
    07-Apr - Orlando, FL
    09-Apr - New Orleans, LA
    11-Apr - Dallas, TX
    13-Apr - Saint Louis, MO
    15-Apr - Cleveland, OH
    17-Apr - Detroit, MI
    19-Apr - Chicago, IL
    21-Apr - Kansas City, MO
    23-Apr - Denver, CO
    26-Apr - Seattle, WA
    29-Apr - San Francisco
    01-May - Monterey, CA
    03-May - San Diego, CA
    05-May - Los Angeles, CA
    06-May - Los Angeles, CA

For more information: http://www.3acrossamerica.com/invite

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    potemkinpotemkin Member Posts: 195
    Shipo, congrats on the invite. Sounds like fun. But what if it's an automatic? Surely, they wouldn't do that. Would they?

But if I may bother you for a minute, could you please tell me why I should join the BMW CCA? What are the benefits? What's the cost? Is it worthwhile for someone who lives in the Land of Cotton to join a car club for a manufacturer that doesn't make pickup trucks? The last 'club' I joined was the R.E.M. fan club, and that was twenty years ago.

Shipo? Are you named for a long lost Marx brother? Just curious.

Sincerely,

Potemkin.
  • Options
    What if it's an automatic? I'll suffer through the experience. ;-)

Regarding joining the BMW CCA, here is a link that should answer all of your questions: http://www.bmwcca.org/aboutCCA/abtfset.shtml

Regarding origins of "Shipo", Ding, ding, ding, ding! That is correct!

Decades ago when I was in high school, there was me, Dale Shipman, Ken Sharp and Bob Harp all in the same class that just happened to have a wacky but otherwise brilliant professor that was (among other attributes) a Marx Brothers fan. Needless to say, he promptly started calling us, "Shipo, Sharpo and Harpo". I was just learning how to program in those days (BASIC on an old IBM System/360 Mod 30), and started using "shipo" as my login id. I've been using it as one of my regular IDs on various systems ever since.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    wco81wco81 Member Posts: 590
    So what would be good, $7k or 8k?
  • Options
    It would depend on the MSRP.. At higher MSRPs there is a bigger spread down to invoice..

On a low price 330i (under $40K), $6500-$7000 off MSRP would be a good deal..

At an MSRP of $45K, I'd want $7000-$7500 off...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    I can never read about Jurgen Schrempp without thinking of Moe and Larry.
  • Options
    potemkinpotemkin Member Posts: 195
    Thanks for the link to BMW CCA. I was going to google it, but I really needed to know the origins of 'Shipo'.

Glad to hear I was close. I'm a big Marx Bros. fan myself.
  • Options
    Ahh, yes, Larry, Moe and Schrempp. My favorite episode is when Schrempp discovers that he will inherit controlling interest in BMW that very day but only he marries Brunhilde first. "Hold hands you love birds..." ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    Glad I could be of service and at the same time explain my very distant connection to the Marx Brothers. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    ajaymeajayme Member Posts: 74
    Hey Shipo, the 3 Across America drive here in Dallas is at Southfork Ranch. I'll be sure to say hi to J.R. and Miss Ellie for you! I'm looking forward to Arpil 11.

Regards,

A.J.
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,439
    As a BMWCCA member I too received an invitation, but I work on all three of the dates the car will be in NYC.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    Sweet ***, Finally something on a Monday on my day off. Ill see you at the Ranch!

DL
  • Options
    Not sure if anyonoe has seen this or not but here is a pretty good in-depth article on the new 3er.

http://www.germancarfans.com/news.cfm/newsid/2050118.013/page/1/lang/eng/bmw/1.html
  • Options
    blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    I too got the bmwcca thing. Called but the girl said their computers were down. Huh?! I'll ty tomorrow. I've already put in for the time off. LOL
  • Options
    argeliusargelius Member Posts: 64
    I am currently vacillating between getting a 2006 530xi and a 2006 330xi (next fall). Since I am a gadget nut, I am curious how the new 3 stacks up against the 5, gadget-wise.

From what I have been able to learn, both have (standard or optional) Nav, Satellite Radio, park-distance control, Bluetooth, mp3 capabilities, and push-button start (coming in the fall).

In terms of the Logic 7 premium stereo, I am guessing that since the have the same name, they are identical.

Does anyone know if they iDrive and Nav systems in the 3 and 5 are identical? Supposedly they have been improved signifantly and include a sort of "bird's eye view" on the Nav.

As far as I can tell, the only gadget that the 5 has that is not available in the new 3 is the Heads Up Display.

Since the 330 and 530 have the same engine and the same 'gadgets' available are the 'only' differences between the two of them:
    [1]size, [2] 'prestige, [3] cost, and [4] style?

Personally, [1]- [3] aren't a major issue for me.
  • Options
    bmwcccbmwccc Member Posts: 234
    Shipo

Nice move on the invite. We are are going to be very jealous. Can't wait to hear your report. I am in California so have to wait til the end of April to see one. aahhrrrr!

My 1 question for you would be your impression of the Steptronic if that is what is offered for you to drive. Any Tip Lag etc.

Thanks
  • Options
    wco81wco81 Member Posts: 590
    What about for a 325i which would have an MSRP of 33-35k?

I noticed now that the TMV price Edmunds is showing is actually BELOW invoice. That appears to be a recent change.

Is the TMV reflecting the incentives from BMW?

We're talking about the existing body style, not the new ones coming. I was never that enthusiastic about the 325i but if the price is right, a 2 or 3-year lease might be worth it while waiting to see if new cars offer better options (like for instance the rumored AWD or hybrid options on the new Lexus IS a year or two after intro).
  • Options
    Thanks, it seems that LOTS of folks here and on the regular 3-Series discussion have signed up. ;-)

Regarding the Steptronic; if I get a chance, I'll certainly drive one (after my first choice which will of course be a 6-Speed manual). Regarding the "Tip Lag", I've never heard that complaint coming from the BMW camp, however, it seems to be alive and well over in the Audi world. What makes this a double bummer for the Audi lovers is that apparently as of 2004, the only three pedal cars they will import into the U.S. are the A4 and the TT.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    While 3 Across America will be bypassing Tampa, The Ultimate Drive will not. I have an appointment on April 8th to drive BMW's entire 2005 line including the 545 and X5 4.4.
    For every mile you drive, BMW of North America will donate $1 to the Susan G Komen Breast Cancer Foundation.
    You can drive the "old" 2005 330i so when the 2006 version comes out, you can make an almost fresh comparison.
    Call 877-4-A-Drive to reserve your spot.
    Regards,
    hpowders
  • Options
    The 325i has a $2500 dealer incentive.. At an MSRP of $33K-$35K, you should be looking for $4500 off of MSRP..

$35K MSRP
    $30.5K selling price
    $31,125 cap cost (with acq.fee)
    3yr/36K lease
    Payment $426/mo + tax with security deposit and 1st payment due at signing..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    tksungtksung Member Posts: 34
    Audi raised price significantly on their '06 A4. Well equipped A4 w/o navigation now comes at $42k+. See http://www.audiworld.com/features/tests/b7a4.html If BMW follow the suit, it could be 10% raise.
  • Options
    deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    VW management tends to do stupid things with prices. Such tendecies do impact Audi.

BMW management just reported that despite expected healthy sales growth for 2005, profits will remain stagnant. Why? Because BMW will hold their prices in USA despite the falling dollar!

So it appear BMW will be too shrewd to follow the short-sightedness of Audi's hike.
  • Options
    kring1kring1 Member Posts: 1
    I just saw a new 2006 330 on the street, it was in West Hartford, CT. it was dark blue and I drove along side it for 2 blocks, it did not have any stickers in the window but it was VERY clean, looks like it was just driven off the lot.

Are these hitting dealers now? or could this have been a test drive?
  • Options
    It debuts at the NY car show next week... so, it is feasible that someone is driving one around town, I guess..

Although, I doubt any of the dealers have the car for demo drives..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    My guess would be a press demo car. The e90 fanatics has a picture of wrecked e90 sitting in a lot in jersey which was probably a press demo car as well.
  • Options
    david325xidavid325xi Member Posts: 13
    Heard from somewhere that the new 3 manual will offer someting called "start assistance" for starting the car on hill to prevent car to back up. Anyone can confirm that? I am living in Boston area which has many hills and I am not a very good manual driver but would like to get a manual car for my next one.
    Thanks,
    David
  • Options
    Prior to moving up here to New Hampshire, I lived literally a half of a mile from the BMW-USA Headquarters (and 2 miles from MB-USA & Volvo USA, and 15 miles from Jaguar USA), and as such I used to see lots of un-released iron prowling the local neighborhood. My best guess is that there have been pre-production cars here in the U.S. for an easy 6 to 9 months, so this close to the official launch, there should be quite a few that are openly being driven around by the press and BMW officials.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    True, there is a feature for the E90 officially called "Start-off Assistant."

According to BMW publications that I have it is described as:

Start-off Assistant. Keeps the vehicle from rolling backward when stopped facing uphill. The driver can then start up without doing a ballet with the clutch, brake and accelerator (manual transmission) or doesn't have to hold the accelerator or brakes while stopped on a hill (automatic transmission).

I hope that answers you question. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Don't forget tonight's member-to-member chat - it's open mic night, so come and discuss whatever's on your mind.

http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/townhallchat.html

6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET. Drop by for live chat with other members. Hope you can join us!

kirstie_h

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,439
    Back in 2000 I was on Route 17 South around 6:45 AM bringing my (then) Saab to the dealership for an oil change. An (unreleased) E46 M3 with MFR plates blew by me like I was standing still.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    Yup, sounds about right. ;-) When I was with MB-USA, I managed to catch a ride in a few unreleased cars too. It's kind of cool when you see the faces of the folks who see a car for the first time that they have only seen in magazines.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    argeliusargelius Member Posts: 64
    Am I correct in my undstanding that the 2006 330xi (AWD) will be available (in the US) this fall (Sept-Oct)?
  • Options
    We've heard anywhere from August to October..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    novicenovice Member Posts: 64
    On another post re: a recent article from Germany, it liste a sun-dim option (darkened glass for the rear door and back windows. Does anyone know if this will be an option in the US? The Europeans get more choices (e.g. colors) than we do here, and this is an option I haven't seen reference before but is one I would like.

Thanks.

Rusty
  • Options
    planomlplanoml Member Posts: 244
    Are you sure it's darkened glass, and not the rear sun shade. You can order a auto rear sunshade, but the rear sides are manual-they have them on the 5 & 7, in case you want to check it out.
  • Options
    Hmmm, a "Sun-Dim" option, kinda sounds like Sunday Brunch. ;-)

Nope, I haven't heard of that one over here either.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    moossemoosse Member Posts: 1
    So guys, what I still don't know is : WHAT WILL THE BASE PRICE BE OF A 325i?? I asked the dealership, and they said that they didn't know, but that it will not be more than $2000 more than the base price of the 2005 model, so which means: $29.300 plus $2000 is $31.300 ?? Am I correct? Any news...?
  • Options
    blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Estimates vary but BMW execs say they want to hold the line as much as possible. Even though the dollar is so weak, I believe they're taking an approach that the 3 is the bread and butter, so don't scare away customers.

audi bumped prices 2k. I wouldn't consider an a4 for the mids 30s! that's nuts for a 4 cylinder car.

Also, remember the 06 325i will have more power (about 30 hp) and more standard features - xenon finally is standard. essentially, it'll be more like a 330i is now but with a few more features.
  • Options
    Offical pricing will be announced at the NY Auto show which I believe is next week.
  • Options
    fishtookfishtook Member Posts: 17
    It's my understanding they're sitcking Pirelli Eufori's on the E90's ??

According to tirerack.com, owner feedback ranked it 33 out of 41 under "Ultra High Performance Summer".

Sounds as appealing as the crappy Conti's that WAS (past tense) on my '03 330i
  • Options
    Uhhh, just curious, where on the TireRack site did you see anything about the Pirelli Eufori tires? I just looked and to the best of my ability, I couldn't coax even the tire name out of the web site much less any information about them.

Best Regards,
    Shipo

P.S.

FWIW, on every picture of an E90 that I've seen that has had fine enough detail to determine the tire manufacturer, I've only seen Continentals wrapped around the rims. Not that that is much of a consolation mind you. ;-)
  • Options
    amt7565amt7565 Member Posts: 165
    I am seriously considering buying the 330i. Good incentives at this time. It still comes out to about $34K for premier package and auto transmission after all incentives.

My question is, should I wait and get the new 325i instead? It's going to have more horse power and other features. Are there any features on the current 330i that I will not find in the new 325i which will probably be starting at $31,500?

Anything else I might miss out if I buy the current 330i?

Thank you.
  • Options
    Taking a look at non-Sport models on the floor now have .
    1.conti's
    2.michelins
    3.goodyear
    4.bridgestones
    5.pirelli p6

Good Grief.What would be the top choice? michelins or p6?

DL
  • Options
    Which Michelins? They run the gamut from not very sticky but long lasting to very sticky but you need to replace them every year or two.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    Hmm make a list ...lol

2005 330i close Hp but much more torque.
    HK stereo
    power seats
    chrome trim ect..
    17' wheels
    (may have to buy colors/options you dont need/care for due to availability

2006 325i
    longer wheel base
    2 cubic feet more trunk
    new colors
    dual climate control
    more adjustable seats
    6 speed tranny Auto or manual