Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

BMW 3-Series 2006

Comments

• Options
    barry626barry626 Member Posts: 78
    330i non-sport package you need 17 inch snows, not 16.
    330i sport package you need to down size from 18 to 17 inch snows.

325i non-sport you need 16 inch snows, not 15.
    325i sport package you need to down size from 17 to 16 inch snows.

Tire Rack suggests what size for your car when you enter make, year,
    model and if car has sport package or not?
  • Options
    dvand17dvand17 Member Posts: 10
    I'm not sure if anyone else has had this issue, but I've been through about 100 CDs trying to get my MP3 information (Title - Artist) to display correctly on my e90. I use iTunes and figured out that in order to get all the songs to display correctly, I had to convert all of the ID3 tags to version 1.2, vs. 2.X in iTunes. Also, if you copy multiple directories onto a CD (i.e. by album), the songs will show up on your radio display by directory (or by album in my case), so you dont' have to filter through ALL your songs to find a specific one! Awesome. Anyway, hope this helps some of you guys out.
  • Options
    div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    Bouncing off the rev limiter will do no harm, assuming that your 3er is warmed up and already broken in. What you REALLY want to avoid is a mechanical over-rev, which occurs when you shift to a lower gear at a road speed that is too high for the gear ratio selected-this can only occur with a manual transmission, of course. My one-owner 318ti is ten years old this month and has 99K on the clock; I'd bet I nudge the redline at least a dozen times per week(if not per day...). Just be glad you don't own a Mitsu EVO-more than one dealer has denied warranty coverage if the owner has hit the rev limiter too many times...
  • Options
    thrbekthrbek Member Posts: 14
    Hi!

I just ordered a 330xi, (AWD), and it comes stock with the 17" wheels. I live in cold-weather climate and was curious to hear so many people reccomending a set of winter tires. Are the winter tires more for snow handling or to simply save the tread on the factory tires?

Thanks!
  • Options
    Hi Shipo...

I just bought a 330xi. I went to tirerack.com and they have RF tires for my car...but no rims showed up as available. Would the stock tires, 225/45 R-17's, be fine in the snow? It's an AWD vehicle...so I was wondering if I'd be OK. Anyone else have an AWD with the stock tires? Any thoughts?

Thanks!

-Tony
  • Options
    bsureshrbsureshr Member Posts: 5
    What are the additional cost apart from the msrp price? like mats, gas, documentation fee and advertising cost. Are they not included in the car cost?
    Could you please tell me the additions items that i need to pay apart from car cost? what is the best discount i can get in the current market for 2006 325i
    Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    I don't understand...gas? mats? advertising?

You negotiate a price. You make it clear that price includes MACO, mats, etc. An invoice should have MACO listed. Dealers may have to pay say $300-365 extra in fees for regional advertising called MACO. That's still part of the cost you negotiate. Don't let them shake on a deal for say $1000 over invoice and then during papers they pop up and tell you they have a $365 maco fee to add. Make it clear if they have MACO fees you're negotiating it within your buy price.

discount is whatever you can negotiate. why is it everybody is so concerned with getting what other people pay? if buyers a through y got 1500 over invoice, I still want to pay $500 over invoice. i don't care what other people are normally paying. i negotiate differently that most it seems...
  • Options
    dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    Well I meant the factory take offs , not winter tires. If a person wanted them for the rims and bought winter tires seperate.$ 500 is only $125 for each factory wheel. Seems like a steal to me. Im just supprised they arent selling at that price is all....

DL
  • Options
    saigonboi21saigonboi21 Member Posts: 150
    i found some scratches on my front bumper. Looks like somebody backed up into it. I just noticed them after i got out of the movies today. Wonder how much it is to fix it or replace it...It looks like teeth marks (kind of). This freakin sucks...
  • Options
    hawkeye3hawkeye3 Member Posts: 9
    Thanks for the info. Hope I'm still driving my 06 trouble free in 2016.
  • Options
    odessitodessit Member Posts: 140
    Sorry to hear that:( maybe someone was hungry(teeth marks) ? :) I know my neighbor usually polishes her Lexus when she finds some scratches. May be it will be the most cost effective solution for you assuming scratches are not too deep(I hope)?
    And you know what? Ever since I bought my car (325i) I try to park as far away as possible on any parking lot. I know things like that still are unavoidable but still I am trying to do everything in my power to prevent it.
    mike
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. It is very much appreciated. I use iPod most of the time, and as you know it does not display any info on the car radio display, but still have some mp3 CDs to play sometimes. So your info certainly will help a lot.
    mike
  • Options
    bsureshrbsureshr Member Posts: 5
    do we need to pay $150 documentation fee and for buying bmw 3 series?
  • Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,268
    One of the reasons you see so much discussion about winter tires is that many 3-series are equipped with the sport package, which, on RWD models, includes summer tires that will be as slippery as Vaseline below 40 degrees Fahrenheit, thus, winter tires are required if you live or travel in such an area and have a car equipped with the sport package.

Winter tires will have the effect of both saving the tread on the factory tires and providing superior handling in the snow--this is true for cars equipped with summer tires or all-season tires. They are only necessary if you have summer tires and plan to drive when it's cold outside, but may be desirable if you have all-seasons.
  • Options
    shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Winter tires are for better control in snow, slush and ice when compared to all-season tires (the OEM rubber on the xi) and especially summer tires.

Your new 330xi when compared to a 330i (non-SP which has the same tires) will most likely exhibit the following characteristics:

1) the xi will accelerate a little slower in dry weather (it weighs more)
    2) the xi will accelerate substantially faster in snow, slush and on ice
    3) the xi will exhibit very similar abilities to handle (ie. getting around a curve at any given speed), however, the attitudes of the cars will most likely be rather different
    4) the xi will most likely have worse braking performance on all surfaces due to its higher weight

With all of that said, other than acceleration in the snow, the differences between the two cars should be so negligible that most drivers probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two.

The real difference comes in when someone says, "Hmmm, do I spend the extra $1,200 on a 330xi SP or do I buy a similarly equipped 330i SP and then put $1,200 toward buying a nice set of winter wheels and tires." In that scenario the "xi" with its compromise all-season tires will most likely lose to the 330i (properly shod with season appropriate tires) in every performance comparison year round except for accelerating in slippery conditions (and even then it won't be too bad).

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    "4) the xi will most likely have worse braking performance on all surfaces due to its higher weight"

That's a little dicey. It's like saying the car will have worse braking with 4 passengers and a full tank of gas, than with the driver alone on an empty tank and that's a good reason for never having four people in your car.

If I had to do it again, it would be AWD all the way. I'll put up with less than razor sharp handling to have a more sure-footed vehicle in all types of weather conditions. AWD systems have advanced to the point where there really is no reason not to get that option should you want it.
  • Options
    rick_renorick_reno Member Posts: 23
    I've had two 740's (740 and 740il). Both were great road cars, but not nearly as much fun as the 06 330i.
  • Options
    rick_renorick_reno Member Posts: 23
    Did they charge you for doing the upgrade? I wanted them to write this into the contract when I purchased mine, they said it was included and there was no need to write it in. I'd like to get mine upgraded too - picked the car up in late July.
  • Options
    dvand17dvand17 Member Posts: 10
    Nope, no charge. It should be included w/warranty. I don't think they "alert" people that there are updates available unless you specify when you bring your car in.
  • Options
    Dude, you've got some bad luck.

I would suggest if you're worried about scratches, find secluded spots in the middle of nowhere. I'll park at the most remote locations to avoid any chance that other drivers can get near my car.

The one scratch from a door on my car...it happened at the dealership when they were servicing my car. 2.5 years and I got a scratch while the car was in bmw's care. Figures.
  • Options
    yeah i always park it far away from everyone else. I usually double park if i go to a fast food restaurants. hehe i guess it's just my luck. These things happen. oh well...
  • Options
    double parking begs for people to do nasty things to your car. i've seen coworkers purposely go kick/scratch cars that are double parked. one friend pulls in his honda backward so that his mirror is almost touching the other car and the bad parker can't leave. he parks and won't move his car just to screw with people who have nice cars and doublepark.

just something to think about when you doublepark...
  • Options
    My car is reported staying at the VPC due to a campaign issue. Is this some kind of software update? It is a 325xi, auto, prem, cold weather, park assist, xenon. Thanks
  • Options
    "That's a little dicey. It's like saying the car will have worse braking with 4 passengers and a full tank of gas, than with the driver alone on an empty tank and that's a good reason for never having four people in your car."

Hmmm, I rather think of it as carrying around a 210 pound passenger out over the engine compartment full time, hence the less optimal weight distribution. If the weight difference isn't enough, the 3-Series cannot be had with a true sport suspension and AWD, and after owning one of each, there is no way I'd ever willingly go back to a non-SP car. To my warped way of thinking at least, a 330i SP plus a set of winter wheels and tires will cost virtually the same as a 330xi SP, and with the exception of acceleration in the snow, the 330i should handily out perform the 330xi in every other performance category. What's not to like? ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    xdrive is a whole different ball game. It simply provides more grip in inclement weather. I would gladly sacrifice some dry pavement handling for the additional handling of xdrive. I flogged an X3 on a snow covered parking lot after a storm and was extremely impressed.

With AWD I won't swap snow tires anymore and I'll deal with the all-seasons. To me it's a fair tradeoff.
  • Options
    davidd3davidd3 Member Posts: 582
    That does suck.

If it's not refinish the whole bumper bad, then try this. First, use a clearcoat polishing compound. That will safely remove any surface scratches. Then use BMW touch-up paint on deep scratches that you can't compound out. They'll probably have to order the touch-up paint for you though, unless you have a color which is not new. I have Sparkling Graphite (a new color), and I'm still waiting for my touch-up paint to come in. But in the meantime, I picked up some No7 Clearcoat Polishing Compound, which worked wonders on the surface scratches on my bumper. I'm waiting for the touch-up paint to touch-up the few deep scratches.
  • Options
    Really appreciate your input Shipo. Thanks!
  • Options
    "I would gladly sacrifice some dry pavement handling for the additional handling of xdrive."

Hmmm, if it was only "some" dry pavement handling I might be inclined to agree with your argument, however, the difference be a 330xi (SP or no) equipped with the OEM rubber and a 330i SP with its OEM rubber and its stouter suspension is substantial. In fact, it ain't even close.

I'm not sure I buy the "additional handling of xdrive" part as well. Additional handling versus a non-xi with the same all-season tires? I'm thinking it's the other way around, but as I stated before, probably not by much (regardless of which configuration turns out to be the most capable). Additional handling versus an "i" model (SP or no) with a set of winter tires? Nope, I don't buy that at all. Dedicated winter tires simply offer way too much extra traction compared to all-season tires for that to happen.

A number of years ago one of the car rags did a comparison test with four cars and three different sets of tires for each car. IIRC, the cars were an E320, E320 4Matic, Audi A6, and Audi A6 Quattro. In that test, even when all four cars were equipped with winter tires, the two non AWD cars stopped the fastest, and it is my recollection that the RWD E320 displayed the best handling of the lot. The only place where AWD showed a distinct advantage was in acceleration, an advantage that was great enough to allow the all-season shod AWD models to out accelerate even the winter tire equipped 2WD models.

In the end, my thinking is that it all boils down to one question: How much "turn" and "stop" prowess are you willing to sacrifice for "go" prowess?

Me, unless I move somewhere where I need to climb a ten percent or greater snow covered hill with any regularity, I'm willing to "go" a little slower so that I can "turn" and "stop" that much better. And if I did need to climb that steep hill? I'd probably get an Audi with a true Sports Package and STILL buy a set of winter tires.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    "much "turn" and "stop"

Shipo - I cannot say for sure how much one loses, if anything. But whatever it is I'll put up with it. Obviously AWD with 4 rims and snow tires is the uber-way to go, but I'll forgo that as well.

It would seem to me if AWD has extra weight in front, I would help with braking to put more bite into the front tires.

Regards...kd
  • Options
    Is anyone using the bluetooth option with their 3-series? I don't currently have a Bluetooth enabled phone...and I just found out that my wireless carrier, (Alltel Wireless), doesn't even have a phone on BMW's "approved" list. Since I really don't have a choice in the matter because it's a corporate cell phone, I was wondering if any of you have had any luck getting "non-approved" blue-tooth enabled phones to work.

If so, what makes and models? What carrier?

Thanks!

-Tony
  • Options
    Snow tires are always going to run better than all-seasons because their rubber stays softer at low tempretures. They also have additional "sipes" or cuts built into their tread that act as little teeth for getting traction in the ice and snow.

My sales guy tried to assure me that I could probably get around all right in a RWD model...with the all-season 17"'s on a 330i, but I have to drive about 60 miles every day in rural, 2-lane highway in a very cold and snowy winter climate that can, in some winters, see frequent blizzards and other inclement weather.

If you control your speed, stopping and turning is usually not a problem. Driving too fast for the conditions is one of the greatest sins that winter drivers commit...and the sin that usually does the most to cause an accident.

The less-dangerous, but equally as frustrating snowy-weather problem is traction and the ability to get the car moving when you have to stop at an intersection...or when you're trying to navigate a poorly-plowed parking lot. These are the every-day winter challenges that I would face. For this reason, I chose the AWD model. (330xi)

I've considered getting winter tires and a spare set of rims for it, but I think that it will probably get along fine on the All Season stock OEM 17" tires. If I had the SP and 18" wheels...I'd probably be buying different rubber.

I'm sure we'll see our first snowstorm by the time I get my car. It's still in the factory in Germany getting the final touches put on it. I should have it in 4 weeks. My first Bimmer!

Woo hoo!

:)

Tony
  • Options
    "It would seem to me if AWD has extra weight in front, I would help with braking to put more bite into the front tires."

Actually it's the other way around. Extra weight in the front prevents the rear wheels from doing as much as they otherwise would be able to do. Just as AWD cars spread the acceleration duties to all four corners in slippery conditions, cars that are better able to spread the braking duties to all four wheels will as a rule stop faster. The fact that the better balanced RWD E320 won the braking test in the comparo that I cited just underscores this point.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    You can use any phone that is bluetooth compatible with the 3 (im pretty sure of this). THe reason being that my mom's phone is a Samsung D500( this is not the recommended one), i was still able to set it up/ connect to the 3. Just go to your dealer and ask them for a bluetooth compatible phone and try it out before you buy it. But yeah, you dont need to get a recommended phone. Let me know if it works...
  • Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    I have Bluetooth in my three cars. The 3-series between the three (TL and M Infiniti) has the best Bluetooth. By that, the reception is the best as well as the 3's features for Bluetooth. My phone book automatically updates and down loads every time I start up the car. I can download screens, and music for ringtones from the internet as well as adding or editing my phone book. I attribute my positive experience with it to the phone being a BMW compatible phone, in my case with Cingular.
  • Options
    "The less-dangerous, but equally as frustrating snowy-weather problem is traction and the ability to get the car moving when you have to stop at an intersection...or when you're trying to navigate a poorly-plowed parking lot. These are the every-day winter challenges that I would face"

I heartily concur with this. This is my fearful/frustrating winter issue as well. Getting stuck. And for that reason I believe AWD gives you a better chance of NOT getting stuck even with stock OEM tires. Oh and by the way congratulations.

shipo - I understand where you are coming from. But as far as stopping distances go, the driver has to manage the car appropriately. It is not my real-world experience that snow tires = 4 wheels being powered. Not to say they won't navigate just fine or just as well as AWD in some conditions. But if you exchange not getting stuck for longer stopping distances, I think it comes out even.
  • Options
    I wish my carrier had a BMW-approved phone. I guess I'll have to wait until they do so I can get the full functionality out of my phone the way you do. Did you purchase the optional phone cradle?

Thanks!
  • Options
    I've driven alot of different vehicles in a snowy climate. (I lived in Minneapolis, MN for over 7 years...)

I had performance tires on a FWD Nissan Maxima GLE. Not only were these tires horrible at making the car GO in the snow, they made it almost impossible to TURN either direction in the snow. So, all around...performance tires STINK in the snow.

I've also driven RWD vehicles with good snow tires that go VERY well in the snow..but whether you're driving FWD, RWD or AWD...you are in control of vehicle speed...and speed is the major determinig factor in most snow-related crashes.

Just watch the local news after the winter's first storm...you'll always see pictures of SUV's spinning in circles down a street and smacking into parked cars, power poles, etc.

Shipo is right. AWD helps you go...Summer performance tires are horrible in the snow...All-seasons are fine with AWD....Snow tires are a better bet if you have RWD.
  • Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    "Did you purchase the optional phone cradle?

No, and as far as I can see, don't need it.
  • Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,268
    A number of years ago one of the car rags did a comparison test with four cars and three different sets of tires for each car.

Three sets? Did they include summer tires? (Would have been funny if they did...)
  • Options
    george27george27 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I am considering new 2006 325xi with navigation, xenons, automatic, comfort access, rear parking and power seats with heating. I am kind of piss that they dont have at least the power seat standart but what can you do. The page says its now 38,600 but the invoice is just 36,600. Its my first car so I like to ask you how low do you think it will go /I am thinking December purchase/? What is reasonable price for the car and what is your opinion on the selected options?
  • Options
    Yeah, three sets, summer, all-season and winter. If there was somebody who thought that they could get through winter with summer tires prior to reading that article, they surely didn't after reading it. ;-) Hmmm, not well worded but I think you get the idea.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    grahammangrahamman Member Posts: 10
    Who has the alarm and likes it? I was thinking about getting it, but the price is pretty high for something that nobody pays attention to. I really just want that red flashing clownnose. On the new updates, has anybody been able to have this activated? I have heard from some other people that they will not activate this unless you have the alarm, even though they may have the ability to do so. As for the alarm, does it chirp when the alarm is activated on and off? Thanks
  • Options
    bmw_driverbmw_driver Member Posts: 4
    hey, all. I just got Verizon's latest bluetooth phone (samsung a-950) last week -- the phone literally hit the market this month -- and am thinking of getting a bluetooth-enabled 300 xi. However, BMW says only motorola phones from verizon are compatible and the dealer seems to agree with this.

I know Verizon does many funky things with bluetooth phones to disable many features. Was wondering if anyone has had luck with non-motorola bluetooth phones from verizon??
  • Options
    any phone that has bleutooth will work just fine. You DONT need a bmw recommended phone. Like i said in a previous post, i paired a Samsung D500 (Cingular) with my 330 and it works fine. I dont think Verizon can actually disable your bluetooth feature. I am 99.9% sure of this. Also, if Verizon have that 3 day trial period, just buy that phone and try it out. If it doesnt work, just return it. ^_^
  • Options
    bmwvicbmwvic Member Posts: 1
    I have a 06 325i with sat prep. Does anyone know where I can purchase receiver/install kit at a reasonable price? My dealer wants $495(suggested retail price). I'm convinced that I can beat that price. Thanks.
  • Options
    clavenclaven Member Posts: 4
    I have a 325i SP w/ navigation that I took delivery on here in Italy (I'm stationed here in the Air Force). I got the European DVD w/ the car, but I'm heading back to the states in January, Colorado or New Mexico...snow tire issue may come into play for me...or not.

But I digress.

My friend has an 2006 A4 and for some reason they gave him the North American DVD. We were hoping to swap DVDs and save a little, but I think there is probably a software difference. Both discs are offered by NAVTEQ; I've queried their website but haven't gotten a response yet. Anyone know anything?
  • Options
    snsnsnsn Member Posts: 56
    I just called my dealer and they said the software upgrades are not available yet. I told them that I read that other owners have already had the programming installed. They are checking into this. :(
  • Options
    clavenclaven Member Posts: 4
    I just got my response from NAVTEQ...as feared Audi-BMW incompatible. I would have just tried it out but the wife took the car to Austria with girlfriends for shopping trip.
  • Options
    gordonwdgordonwd Member Posts: 337
    I really just want that red flashing clownnose. On the new updates, has anybody been able to have this activated?

I'm just speaking from E46 experience, but my dealer does this activation as pretty much a standard thing since almost everyone wants it. Not only does the clown nose blink, but your parking lights flash when locking or unlocking the car, which is a nice indicator for you.
  • Options
    It’s been a lot of confusion regarding this flashing clownnose. My dealer also said “no, cannot be done if you don’t have the alarm installed”. Can we finally get this right once and for all?
    Who has 2006 325/330 WITHOUT alarm installed AND was able to get clownnose flashing by requesting software update from the dealer? And what date was it done?
This discussion has been closed.