Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

BMW 3-Series 2006

Comments

• Options
    blingnbags23blingnbags23 Member Posts: 9
    hey guys, I haven't checked the posts in quite some time, but I have a question that is becoming more and more relevant with each passing day (as the weather begins to worsen!) I have style 162 rims with the corresponding 18" tires, and I need to get some winter wheels lined up in the next month or so. Do you know of any all-weather tires that I can get to put on these rims, or do I have to buy new tires and rims? And if so, please give me any information you have such as product names, numbers, and pricing. I greatly appreciate your help, and I'm sure many of you are going to have to do the same thing.

Jaron
  • Options
    dom1dom1 Member Posts: 22
    Hello Saigonboi21,

I do not think every phone will work just fine. I currently have Verizon and wanted to move to Sprint. So I went to the dealership with a PM-325 from LG which has bluetooth but is not in the list and tried to connect to a 5 series with a dealer technician. The I-drive was able to identify the phone but was not able to handle calls. The technician explained to me that BMW may have some encoding that is not compatible with all phones. So I decided to stay with Verizon and buy the Motorola E-815 which is in the recommended list. Anyway, I agree with your last recommendation of trying the phone first.

Best regards,

dom1
  • Options
    bdr127bdr127 Member Posts: 950
    any phone that has bleutooth will work just fine. You DONT need a bmw recommended phone. Like i said in a previous post, i paired a Samsung D500 (Cingular) with my 330 and it works fine. I dont think Verizon can actually disable your bluetooth feature. I am 99.9% sure of this. Also, if Verizon have that 3 day trial period, just buy that phone and try it out. If it doesnt work, just return it. ^_^

There are definitely some phones that either don't work or some features don't work. A search here or other BMW forums will yield many stories of bluetooth phones with limited capabilities when used with BMW cars... There might be the occasional phone (like yours) that happens to work even though it's not on the "approved" list, but that is an exception, not the rule.

Here's the 0.1%..... There are, in fact, features of bluetooth that have been disabled by certain carriers on certain phones. Lawsuits have even been filed over such things. Take a look at these pages:

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1751567,00.asp
    http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000983029058/
  • Options
    rats13rats13 Member Posts: 42
    Hello All,

My Honda has 120k miles & I'm thinking about jumping to my first BMW from a history of Honda's, Acura's, Lexus etc. Honestly I'm a bit nervous about long term reliability of BMW. I was thinking about getting the exented maintenance/warranty package for piece of mind.

Do you think it is better to ask/negotiate for the extend warranty up front or to try to grind it out after you've settled in on the car price?

Thanks
  • Options
    saigonboi21saigonboi21 Member Posts: 150
    man i really gotta start thinking outside the box!
  • Options
    I saw the new IS on the road today. Man am i glad i went with a 330. the IS is so freakin ugly on the back!!!
  • Options
    ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    I would do it after the fact...I find the more things you "mush" together with the negotiations (trade-in's,warranty,etc)...the better for the dealer.
  • Options
    deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    Here in Toronto I am still waiting to test drive the e90 BMW3255xi touring! Was told by a sales rep that it will be available Oct. 18th. Now it appears its introduction has been moved to some indeterminable future date?
  • Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    If you buy an extended warranty, be sure you are getting the Original Owner Protection Plan, the only plan backed by BMW North America. There are a lot of problems with third-party warranties, which is why they are sometimes less expensive.
  • Options
    timnytimny Member Posts: 142
    Can't recall -- do you have the sport package on your car? If so, I don't think you have much choice but to get winter tires -- and probably another set of wheels.

I'm in the same boat. I priced-out 17'" Dunlop M3 winter run-flats on a set of basic Borbet alloys from TireRack.com for @ $1300. The same tire model (16" not 17") on 16" BMW wheels runs $1850+ from the dealer. My question is whether there's any real reason I need BMW wheels ... any thoughts from anyone out there on this?
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,383
    Umm... they weren't going to put 16" wheels on your 330i, were they? I don't think they will fit...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    I hear you on the mileage savings! At the end of this week, my wife and I will have had out cars for 2 months. In that time, we have had at least one loaner for 12 days ... and put a ton of miles on the cars runnning out to the east end of Long Island on weekends. I consoled myself with the fact I was saving mileage, even though the car I WANT to be driving is my own.

BTW - this week my car is in the service center again for hopefully final adjustments (car alarm; vehcile service alert settings, and a couple of other things). I suppose I should be happy it didn't take 3 months to prep the car properly; just 2!

I have to say the service center in Port Chester is gorgeous. The service agent I've been dealing with has been excellent, too -- am I allowed to give his name?
  • Options
    That's what I said! The dealer says they will. However, I am not going with 16"s regardless -- 17"s seem okay.
  • Options
    rhmassrhmass Member Posts: 263
    I presume you are talking about buying a new BMW, so you may want to consider buying the extended warranty when the warranty expires near the fourth year. No sense to buy right now since you may not even keep the car after that. The dealer sells the extended warranty up to the end of the fourth year. Keep your money for four year before spending it, if you even want to spend it! The concern for "BMW reliability" has been overly blown IMO in the same way the "great reliability" associated with Japanese cars. I have owned both and BMWs since 1986. I don't think they are so much less reliable than the two Honda accords I had owned. The repair cost is indeed higher for BMWs.
  • Options
    wco81wco81 Member Posts: 590
    Hmm shopping sprees to pricey Austria. Guess the Air Force pays well these days. :D
  • Options
    wco81wco81 Member Posts: 590
    And the Bangelized E90 looks great?
  • Options
    lol i dont wanna start an argument here. But yes- i like the E90's looks a lot better than the Lexus'- well at least the back.
  • Options
    blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    I'll give the bmw credit for character. not attracted to the design but it does stand out from the rest of the jelly-bean clones out there. still think the e46 is a better design though. less metal, more greenhouse.
  • Options
    The service agent I've been dealing with has been excellent, too -- am I allowed to give his name?

I think naming dealership personnel is verboten.
  • Options
    i took my car in for the upgrade today. The service advisor told me about some recall on the new 3. He said that some cars that were made, say before Jan 2005 dont have the new version. So they're trying to upgrade those cars. It's a slow process because it's only applicable to certain cars. Have anyone else heard about this "recall"??
  • Options
    chatkatchatkat Member Posts: 41
    There is a lawsuit in California that all Verizon customers get back $25.00 because the blue tooth in their phones are limited in function. They had a list when I bought my car as to which phones are compatible. I have two phones - both bluetooth Motorolas. One is a T-Mobile - fully works with functions but cannot be paired to the car. The other Motorola Razr is compatible and is a Verizon phone. There were some do it yourself pairing problems but the Service Advisor got it up and running. I did have to have Verizon update the software on my phone.
  • Options
    dfosherdfosher Member Posts: 26
    Does anyone know if the ride height is higher on a 325xi vs. a 325i. My 325xi was parked next to a 325i and my car looked higher that the non – AWD model. Note: both cars have the sport package.
  • Options
    is3ooguyis3ooguy Member Posts: 68
    And the Bangelized E90 looks great?

Ah, well, YES! I think so ;) You should see it in Electric Red...
  • Options
    snsnsnsn Member Posts: 56
    The service advisor just called back. She checked with the service manager. They do not have any software upgrades for the 3 series yet. :confuse: Does this rollout out in regions? I am in the Southeast. I don't understand why they would not have the upgrades.
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 893
    "Does anyone know if the ride height is higher on a 325xi vs. a 325i. My 325xi was parked next to a 325i and my car looked higher that the non – AWD model. Note: both cars have the sport package."

Traditionally "x" rode higher than RWD (about 1").
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 893
    "I'll give the bmw credit for character. not attracted to the design but it does stand out from the rest of the jelly-bean clones out there. still think the e46 is a better design though. less metal, more greenhouse."

E46 are nice, but IMO E30 was when BMW had everything right.
  • Options
    Yes, I think so, too -- even if you've nice things to say. I will say this: the service center has made up for in spades the fumbling I experienced from the sales office; even though they still haven't resolved all problems, their responsiveness and professionalism have been outstanding -- they need to take a trip over to their sales office and give some lessons.
  • Options
    shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    It is my understanding that the 325xi (SP and non-SP) and the non-SP 325i will have exactly the same suspensions and the same ride height. The RWD 325i SP has a suspension that is lowered something over a half of an inch. Having said that, I have not checked to see if the new AWD system that BMW is using in the E90 follows the same rules. It might could well be that the 325xi rides an inch higher than a 325i non-SP, which rides a half of an inch higher than the 325i SP. Said another way, your 325xi SP might be riding an inch and a half higher than a 325i SP.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    davidd3davidd3 Member Posts: 582
    My car is a non-sport. It came with 17 inch all-seasons.

I'm still on the fence about a winter package. It's costly and inconvenient, and with all-season tires I'm not in a circumstance (like you are) where I absolutely have to do it. I assume that RWD + all-season tires will be pretty bad combination in the snow, but my wife and I are able to minimize our snow driving. She's a teacher and she can usually just stay home. But there are those days where it starts to snow, school dismisses early, and then she's stuck driving home in some snow (but before it gets too bad).

You can go with non-BMW wheels. I plan to go that way, if I get a winter package.
  • Options
    chopskychopsky Member Posts: 2
    Why do you guys want such small wheels? Listen, I have a set of AVUS 501's staggered that are 20x8.5 up front with a 2.5 inch lip and 20x10 in the rear with a 4 inch lip. I just took them off of my 2006 325i. They are painted Sparkling Graphite Metalic. They are a 3 piece wheel that I had made specifically for the 2006 3. They are all wrapped in Perreli P-Zero Nero Tires. If you want to see pics I can send them to you. They look sick on the 3 series. Everyone that saw my car asked me if it was a new M. I paid $7k 2 months ago, and I'm selling them for $5k now.
  • Options
    chopskychopsky Member Posts: 2
    The alarm beeps when you turn it on anf off!
  • Options
    grahammangrahamman Member Posts: 10
    Who has 2006 325/330 WITHOUT alarm installed AND was able to get clownnose flashing by requesting software update from the dealer? And what date was it done?
    Good question, I think we should keep inquiring about this. Obviously they did this with the E46, but are they making everyone purchase the alarm in order for that nose to blink this time around. Anybody know? Is it in those Sept. updates? thanks for the reply on the chirp Chopsky
  • Options
    calif65gmcalif65gm Member Posts: 75
    Yes the AWD Xi's are 0.2 inches higher than their RWD siblings without SP. RWD with SPs are going to be even lower that's why your car appears higher. I think probably close to an inch. I am not sure how much lower a RWD with SP is than a RWD w/o SP.

There is no height difference between non-SP and SP Xi's siblings.
  • Options
    div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    Regarding your 20" wheels...
    Do they carry TUV approval?
    What about unsprung mass?
    I'm sure you made adjustments in the front/rear wheel alignment, so what caster, camber, and toe settings did you use?
    Describe the difference in steering response before and after the 20" wheels were fitted. Was the slip angle increased or decreased by the larger wheels?
    How was transient response affected?
    What is the highest lateral acceleration experienced?
    Any increase in NVH?
  • Options
    lovemyclklovemyclk Member Posts: 351
    Something tells me the physics of driving may have been overlooked :D Would hate to think a new BMW was outfitted for little else than cruisin'! Probably not approved by Hans or Franz down at the dealership service center...
  • Options
    gordonwdgordonwd Member Posts: 337
    I think your typo was a Freudian slip:

They look sick on the 3 series

Sick, indeed! :(
  • Options
    Also:
    Do the 20" wheels feature run-flat tires, or do you have to carry a spare in the trunk?
    How do you cope with the much greater likelihood that a pothole will damage a 20" wheel as opposed to a 16-18" wheel?
    Why are you taking a $2000 bath to sell them so soon after buying them?
  • Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    logic where none exists.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    bmwyayabmwyaya Member Posts: 11
    I asked about having a audible confirmation beep when locking and unlocking the car and the flashing clownnose. I was told that it's not available as of now because "BMW wants customers to get an alarm installed but we(the dealer) don't know if it is going to be available later on because the E90 is still relatively new." They also claim that they took that feature off from all 2006 models too.
  • Options
    potemkinpotemkin Member Posts: 195
    The scientific method suggest that you have to seek logic in order determine that there isn't any :shades: .

Food for thought.
  • Options
    grahammangrahamman Member Posts: 10
    Thanks, I was getting the feeling that making us buyers purchase the alarm was in the their grand scheme of things. As if we haven't spent enough money with them. No worries, we'll just have to see if they allow it later on.....hopefully, but it's not the end of the world. Thanks again for your reply... much appreciated
  • Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    Interesting.

I should probably modify a phrase I use regularly (unfortunately).

"This is what happens when one seeks logic where none exists," or some such.

Food for thought, indeed.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    david22david22 Member Posts: 20
    Can anyone fill me in on the trade offs when you purchase an AWD 330xi vs. a RWD 330i? I know the obvious, but what of handling and accelaration on dry pavement? How big a difference is there in road feel and handling performance? This is my main concern. I want AWD for those few days a year when I go to a ski area or the days when it rains really bad...but...what am I sacrificing when I hit a stretch of dry winding country roads...anything? When I purchase I will get the Sport Pkg on whichever I choose, so both will have the 18" option. ANY advice is much appreciated. This is my first BMW purchase so I am counting on some who have experience to shed some light here. I do know that the weight distribution and economy stats are slightly different...52/48 for xi and 51/49 for 330i...also mileage suffers by a few MPG on the xi...but aside from that, handling and "fun to drive" factor is what I am worried about. By the way I will get a 6spd manual either way and I do love pushing the car hard in the corners etc...thanks in advance for your comments...
  • Options
    "When I purchase I will get the Sport Pkg on whichever I choose, so both will have the 18" option. ANY advice is much appreciated."

Were it that that was so. Unfortunately it ain't. Consider the following:

330xi Sport Package wheels and tires:
    Front: 17 x 8.0 and 225/45 R17 All-Season Run-Flats
    Rear: 17 x 8.0 and 225/45 R17 All-Season Run-Flats

330i Sport Package wheels and tires:
    Front: 18 x 8.0 and 225/40 R18 Performance Run-Flats
    Rear: 18 x 8.5 and 255/35 R18 Performance Run-Flats

The suspension on the 330i is also lowered and stiffened, and combined with the higher performance rubber, the 330i SP will be able to run away and hide from a 330xi SP on dry or even wet pavement. The drawback? You will NEED to buy a set of winter rubber for the 330i while doing that for the 330xi would strictly be optional.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    dom1dom1 Member Posts: 22
    Shipo,

david22 is correct. I ordered my 330xi with SP and 18" wheels. For an extra $600 MSRP you can get the 18" wheels that the 330i SP has. In this particular case, you would have to get winter rubber for the 330xi as well.

Best regards,

dom1
  • Options
    Hmmm, his post didn't say anything about ordering the extra cost 18" wheels, he just said that he was going to get the SP and that that would come with the 18s. To be sure, the extra cost staggered 18" setup will substantially reduce the handling differences between the "i" and the "xi", however, the 330xi is still saddled with greater weight, a higher ride height and the lesser suspension. Given that he states that he likes to drive aggressively I'm not so sure he'll like the difference in the suspension.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    davidd3davidd3 Member Posts: 582
    I have a 2006 330i without Sports Package. So my car came with Bridgestone Turanza EL42 all-season runflat tires in size 225/45HR17.

I have the following questions:

1. Can I and should I rotate the OEM tires, and if so, at what mileage interval? I remember hearing that you shouldn't rotate tires on BMWs. But I suspect that applies to only BMW models having different size tires on the front and back. Since my tires are all the same size, I see no reason why I shouldn't rotate the tires to balance the wear and extend their life. On my previous cars, I had a dealer or an inpendent shop rotate the tires every 7,500 miles.

2. If I do get a winter package (4 same size winter runflat tires), can I and should I rotate the winter tires? Maybe it makes sense to alternate every winter, fronts in odd years become backs in even years and vice versa?

3. Are tire rotations included in BMW's free maintenance program? I think not, but thought I'd ask.

4. If I do get a winter package (for the first time), I suppose that it may be prudent to do some bookkeeping. Doesn't it make sense to keep track of (a) the mileage on each set of tires as well as (b) the positioning each tire/rim had on the car at the time it was removed?

Thanks.
  • Options
    bmwillbmwill Member Posts: 4
    I live in Quebec City so winter tires are a must! Shoped around and the LM 22 are $256.00 cdn.! The dealer has a winter tire package for around $2000.00 cdn.(tx incl.). Not bad but I found out they are steel wheels with plastic covers. Tried 1010 tires to avoid duty but no runflats in stock. In the end I purchased a winter set from tirerack for $1000 US. Sure I will pay duty and taxes but they seem to know what they are talking about. If I lived in the northen states I would count my blessings and not think twice as far as winter tires go.
    Vivre l'U.S.A.!

Will.
  • Options
    I didn't rotate the tires on my 328i and while that didn't seem to be much of an issue, the rears were significantly more worn than the fronts when I turned it in.

On my 530i SP (same size tires all around) my intent was to not rotate them either, however, after about 12,000 miles the tires got so damned noisy that it was either rotate them or throw them in the trash. I rotated them. Problem solved.

With that success, I then decided to simply rotate my winter and summer tires, front to back, each time I mounted them. Given that I habitually drive a similar number of miles during each season, I figured that instead of keeping track of my miles on each set, this method would prove to be 98% as effective. This method would also eliminate the potential of say mounting a set of tires one month only to hit some preset rotation mileage figure the next month and then having to take them off and switch them around.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    kukharkinkukharkin Member Posts: 8
    Wondering whether anybody got 2006 325xi yet? I ordered in mid-September. The dealership has not even received the first shipment of those (this is in CT).
This discussion has been closed.