Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Tell us your TUNDRA experiences!

Comments

• Options
    neusslneussl Member Posts: 28
    I live in Clanton and am all Toyota like you. I've had about 25 new vehicles in my life (10 new Toyotas). Currently have a 2000 Tundra Reg Cab SR5 V-8, 4WD and a 1999 Sienna (same smooth engine as in your 99 RX300). I've been burned one time too many in the past by the Big 3 so I was forced to turn East and have never regretted it.
  • Options
    Robert, I saw on another post that you purchased your Tundra in August, so did I; from Tuscaloosa Toyota. The last 6 digits of my Vehicle Identification Number are 016939; so it is the
    16,939th Tundra off the assembly line. The trucks being produced now are up around the 60,000 sequence number, therefor Tundra production is about 10,000 per month. What are the last 6 digits of your VIN? You can keep up to date with Sunny Kings inventory at www.sunnykingtoyota.com
  • Options
    bud_light_dudebud_light_dude Member Posts: 330
    Thanks for your comments. I am hoping this can be a place from now where anyone who shows respect, will get respect and we can share info on trucks, not get into contests about superiority.

BTW: Saw and awesome looking Black access cab today. They are a good looking truck. One that grows on ya.
  • Options
    pchengpcheng Member Posts: 162
    Hey since this topic is really about Tundra experiences, I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.

I have a LTD 4WD TRD Access Cab.

Just got our first snow where in E. PA (about 4-5 inches). I was out before the plows. This thing handles great. I was driving all day, and I put it into 4HI once (didn't really need to). I think a lot of it has to do with the BFG Rugged Trails. It climbed up a steep hill that was compact snow like the road was dry.

The truck cruised on unplowed roads that had previously stranded my 91 2WD Toy PU (when the roads were plowed).

It's suppose to stay pretty cold for the next week (with more snow on the way: bring it on). I love this truck!
  • Options
    rjcurryrjcurry Member Posts: 8
    That wasn't me Bill. I got mine on 20 Dec 99. The last five digits of the Veh # is 49232. Mine is a White Limited 2 wheel. White with tan leather. I also got bug shield, Tow Pkg, Bedliner, Security and the Michelin tires with Inche (sp?) wheels. Out the door price was 25,708. That darn SE Toyota makes these more expensive for us, I have seen better deals but not enough for me to road trip it out of the SE, but probably could have saved 600 or 700 bucks. This dealer has always given me exceptional service. Bill, do you have that 6 disc CD player in yours? I like the way that works. I never did like loaded cartages and then putting in a remote unit. I'm like Bud Light Dude with the black, they are sharp when clean. Black however is hard to keep that way. I always seem to get white. Sounds like Pcheng is having a good time with his in the snow, I was wounding how the 4X4s compared with the Tacoma. I still have to fight with my wife to keep her out of my truck, you would think a RX300 Lexus would not have to compete with a Trunda but at my house it is.
    Keep on trucking!
  • Options
    Robert, you are correct about SE Toyota, I used to work for them (indirectly). I was able to actually order my Tundra from the factory using Tuscaloosa Toyota. On 14 Jun 99 I submitted my order by e-mail to them telling them exactly what I wanted and on 21 Aug 99 I picked it up exactly as ordered. SE Toyota (AL, NC, SC, GA, FL) does not normally stock the SR5, V8, 4WD, Reg Cab, but they were able to order it. I've got about 4K on it now and am completely satisfied. If you order a Toyota (not all dealers will do it - they want to sell right away with in-stock inventory)you can have the dealer leave off any or all of the SE Toyota options. (These are the ones on the right one-third of the window sticker pasted beside the Manufactures MSRP. If you have any SE Toyota options and you move outside SE Toyota's area you will play heck getting any of these replacement parts.
  • Options
    tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    That was cool to look up. Mine is 6500.
  • Options
    Mark, look in your driver's door jam and see what month your Tundra was produced in. Also on that label you can get your exterior color code (for touch up paint) and also your axle and transmissions codes. By your 6500 VIN I would guess you truck was produced in June 99. Am I close?
  • Options
    longlegs2longlegs2 Member Posts: 1
    I just wanted to comment on the rear leg room on the Tundra Extended Cab trucks. I am 6', 250 and always check the front seat then rear seat of any vehicle I consider for purchase. I found that I could comfortably adjust the seat and then get in the back seat and have enough room for my long legs. In the Edmunds comments, they suggested more leg room was needed for this truck to compete with other models. I personally had to sit SIDEWAYS in the back of a Ford F150 extended cab, just about 4-5 months ago. How can they say that Toyota does not compete with Ford in the leg room department. It beats it hands down in my opinion.
  • Options
    Yes it was produced in June 99.
  • Options
    Bought it July 3rd.
  • Options
    rjcurryrjcurry Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for that info. Next time I will look into that. I may upgrade my Trunda when they change it enough to make it worth my while. I doubt I will have any problem selling it myself to get the most out of it and order from dealer. I have a 3rd vehicle I could drive. It's easier to go to a dealer and say order me this and not have a trade in. I hope later to see them add the VVT to the engine and a limited slip rear end. There is a real good website for Trunda owners called http://www.tundrasolutions.com/ it is loaded with a lot of good info and a message board. They also have a photo section and mine photos will be posted there sometime today. Check it out if you get the chance.

keep on trucking.
  • Options
    krobertson1krobertson1 Member Posts: 18
    I have had my Tundra (V8 Access cab 4WD LTD) since 9/99. It has been the greatest vehicle I have ever owned until last Thursday morning.

I was going to work and accelerated up a hill, to pass a slow truck, and it did wonderfully until I was about to get on to the interstate. The truck began "behaving funny" (it felt like a tire was not balanced). A week before there had been a bad snow storm (for my area of the country it was bad - Arkansas), so I thought that I was running over residual ice left on the road. As I got on the Interstate it became worse, like it was running on 4 cylinders. I looked at my instrument panel to see the check engine light was on. I pulled over to the side of the road. The engine was running extremely rough and eventually died. I could not get it to restart. I used my cell-phone to call the dealership (I had to make the towing arrangements myself). They didn't want to give me a car to get to work, but I was thinking "whatever, they should figure it out and have fixed by this afternoon." WRONG!!

It is now Sunday and Prestige Toyota (N Little Rock, AR) still has it (3 business days - they are open on Sat) without a diagnosis! It is not a "Phantom problem" that only happened to me. They are unable to make it run properly; they even fouled out the plugs trying to figure the problem out. When I spoke with them Friday, they told me all the systems that they had checked: fuel, electrical, etc even swapped the computer out for one on the lot. I told them I was concerned that they, after 2 days (even with Tech support from Corp Toyota), did not have an idea what could be causing the problem. The service associate stated "you can't go to a Doctor and be diagnosised in hurry." Well, I don't think I have ever waited in an exam-room FOR THREE DAYS and the Doctor still not have a clue!!

I will post my follow-up experience(s) with you on this situation. I bought a Toyota because it is suppose to be reliable and to avoid this type of a problem. Frankly, I am deeply disappointed.
  • Options
    egbakeregbaker Member Posts: 13
    I would suggest that you make sure that you didn't get a bad load of fuel.

Toyota dealers are usually very good but I owned a Dodge(before I went to Toys) and had a dealer in West Phila. swear he checked the fuel tank. After 4 visits(and 4 car rentals on me) I made sure I stood by while they dropped the tank. There was about a quart of water puddled in the bottom. I also know where I got that load of fuel and won't go near that place again.

BTW: That truck you passed wasn't running a linear on his CB was he? I've heard that some of those units spew out some god awful RF.
  • Options
    samirpowarsamirpowar Member Posts: 28
    I had a similar problem on my old Nissan pickup, that ended up being a bad tank of gas - specifically water in the tank. The dealership almost tore the engine apart trying to figure out why it was pinging, losing power etc. Make sure you have them drain the tank completely.
  • Options
    For all the adults in this chat-room who really are here to "share their experiences" with the Tundra, and not harass others, I will continue with what I was told today.

They said that they ran a compression check and found that one of the cylinders had none. Looking further, they discovered an exhaust valve was stuck in the open position. They are working on the problem.

I will contact them tomorrow afternoon and see what the time line is on the repairs. I am not convinced of the diagnosis; I have driven plenty of Chevy's in my old days that ran on 7 cylinders, a lot of the time, and it didn't feel anything like this.

With this information, I am even more worried. Since the truck has been ran in this state, what damage could have been done? (valve stapping the piston - damage to head and piston? cam shaft?).

If any one is interested, I will post future findings.
  • Options
    quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    A stuck valve is not like running with a plug wire off. A combustible mixture is being pumped directly into the exhaust manifold, probably causing it to overheat enough to glow. That sends your O2 sensor and computer into a tizzy. When the intake valve opens, hot exhaust gases under pressure from the other cylinders can back-flow into the intake manifold, igniting the mixture, causing backfires, and other maladies. Can't say how much damage was caused. Potentially, a backfire in the intake manifold can blow a head gasket, or the intake manifold off the heads, if bad enough. Just have to trust the mechanics to find and replace all that is bad, if necessary, the entire engine. That's probably the worst case, and could be much less serious. One certainty, an engine can't be expected to run, if at all with a stuck exhaust valve. As for the valve being bent from a collision with the piston, you are going to learn, and share with us hopefully, whether this is a non-interference design or not.
  • Options
    z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    Sorry to hear about your engine problems. I would get them to explain what caused you valve to stick, I have never heard of this happening to a new engine, must be a defective valve spring? Although I do not know if these engines even have valve springs. Replacing internal parts on a new engine would not make me happy - I would push them hard to replace the engine with a new one. Tell them you want a buy back / new truck first and then bring up the new engine as a compromise. I bet they will agree to it.
  • Options
    I appreciate the advice from all (I reviewed it with the Dealer). They said that they had taken the head off to find a small piece (roughly 1/4"x1/4")of metal broken off the head next to the valve (of #4 cylinder), and it was holding the valve open. They are ordering a new head, valve etc (expected arrival time - next Tue?).

Keep in mind, up to this occurence, this truck had me really impressed (power, handling, towing). All manufacturers produce "lemons" (Finagle's Law of Dynamic Negatives - anything that can go wrong will). We always hope we are not the ones who get stuck with them, I guess it must be my turn. If they do a good job repairing it, and it performs the same as it did, I will be happy. I just didn't expect this since this engine has been in the Land Cruiser and LX470 for a couple of years (I thought they would have found any bugs my now). I hope this is not a prelude to bigger and worse things.
  • Options
    I hadn't seen your post until after I posted response #244. Arkansas has a lemon law, but they mandate that you allow then 3 attempts to fix the problem. I would rather get a new truck than stick out with this one, but I don't know my chances. Who do I contact?
  • Options
    kit1404kit1404 Member Posts: 124
    If it were me - after a very bad experience with a bad engine in a 1998 Ranger 4X4 - I would insist and let me say this twice - INSIST - on a new engine. Don't let them continue to try to find the damage - make them understand that you must have a new engine. If I had done that, I would probably still have my Ranger. But, I didn't - the dealer that I trusted for nearly 20 years turned their back on me when I insisted that the engine was not properly rebuilt or still needed to be replaced. Anyway, I really liked the Tundra - stayed away because even though it is a Toyota, it is a new design. So far, I am truly quite happy with my 1999 F-150 4X4 Off-Road - contrary to popular beliefs, it didn't take Ford too long to work out the problems with their new design. Good luck with the Tundra - it's a nice design too, may take some growing pains to get it right, but I bet they get it right. P.S.: It is a new truck - you had an engine problem - get a new engine!
  • Options
    Every Tundra owner I read posts from states that there is no such thing as a lemon Toyota and never have any reliability problems. They say they get their facts from Consumer Reports magazine. I guess I have to believe them then.
  • Options
    dogsterdogster Member Posts: 94
    Sorry to hear about your engine problem. If the dealer doesn't want to replace the motor contact Toyota Customer Assistance and your Regional Office. The number should be in your owner's manual. Also, if you don't have a free rental you should. If any 2000 Toyota is down longer than 24 hours your Toyota warranty allows you a free rental until your vehicle is fixed. FYI.
  • Options
    Here is the latest info. I went to the dealer Wed afternoon and had them show and describe to me (in detail) what happened. The problem was more extensive than what they original told me over the phone. Apparently, during the casting and machining process of the heads, all of the slag and metal shavings were not removed (similar to what someone earlier had described with their transmission - what happened to quality control?). What happened next you have to understand the anatomy of the head assembly on the Tundra.

The valves are recessed in the head (making the top of the spring assembly flush with the top surface of the head). On top of the valve is an aluminum cap (looks a lot like a large bottle cap). This is what the lobe of the over-head cam contacts instead of the valve assembly directly. Some of this residual metal shavings had gotten between this "alum cap" and the wall of the head (in affect jamming the valve in the open position). I asked to see the metal shavings they found, they said they couldn't because Toyota had made a case study out of this occurrence and wanted it "sent off." I told them that I am DEEPLY CONCERNED because who knows how much metal is floating around in the rest of the engine doing damage to bearings, etc. Also I am worried about the long-term ramifications this could have on the longevity and durability of this engine. I hope they don't make all their trucks (cars) this way!

This truck had less than 9,000 miles on it when this happened (had it for ~ 5 months). Toyota should be embarrassed by this lack of quality control on their part. I am talking with the dealer and he with his people to rectify this MAJOR problem. I want Toyota to put their money were their mouth is; they spend all that money of advertisements that brags about longevity, reliability, and customer satisfaction. I will let you know if they REALLY stand behind their product like they say they do.
  • Options
    rs_pettyrs_petty Member Posts: 423
    Just a couple of questions about your engine. Did you do a 1000 mile oil change? What was break-in period? What type oil and filter? Was it an actual piece of the head that broke off or was it casting slag? Just trying to determine if there was an indicator (like shavings) in the oil that might be an indication of your type failure. Getting ready to change my oil so will be looking close. I would think any manufacturer would want to make a case study of the whole engine - not just the shavings. I'd be tearing the thing down and figure out who didn't do their job, if I was Toyota.
  • Options
    I changed the oil at 5,000 miles (recommended in owner's manual to be done at 7500). The breakin period was 500 miles per owners manual (like most - believe me, this thing has been babied up to the day it died on me). I used 5W30 (per the owners manual) and a filter I got from the dealership (b/c the filter is supposed to have some kind of "check-valve" in it - so I'm told).
  • Options
    z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    I did not think about the lemon law - You are right about X number of trips to the dealer for the same problem. I would much rather work the problem out without using the "LAW". If the dealership is willing to go to bat for you they can convince Toyota to put a new engine in. It will not cost they any $$. If they are not willing to help you fight Toyota for a new engine I would not buy any more cars/trucks from them.
  • Options
    kit1404kit1404 Member Posts: 124
    They had their chance - could have put a new engine in your truck soon - forget all the engineering "analysis". You needed your truck - it was a new truck and should have been fixed with a new engine ASAP. Now, I agree - make them buy it back. Gosh - how long do these automakers figure it takes an average person to afford a new truck? They don't give them away. My normal argument is demand a new engine - in your case, I would demand a new truck or buy-back.
  • Options
    from everyone. I am suppose to have a decision on what is to be done early next week. I will post my findings. Thanks again.
  • Options
    john111john111 Member Posts: 17
    I posted # 170 of 257 responses on a Wednesday
    22 of Dec. 99. As I stated I had four trips to a
    Toyota dealer, a motor in one of the doors replaced and doors adjusted so they were hard to close plus we had road noise. Finally made an
    appointment with dealer I bought from. They worked
    on it two days, and re-adjusted the doors, plus
    installing additional parts and switches, and fixed the heater. As for the road noise, it was
    pretty well fixed, but occassionally the 'doors
    ajar' light still comes on, and you can not lock
    the doors. Re-closing the main doors will not make it go off, but opening the main doors, then
    closing the rear doors firmly (most of the time it
    is the left rear door) the light will stay off. We dearly like this vehicle more than any we have ever owned, as far as ride, comfort and economy is concerned. The dealer personell we purchased it from went the extra four miles to help us and please us, including a loaner car. We still have a problem as far as the 'door ajar' light is concerned. If you forget to check it when you get
    through with the vehicle for the day, you very well may have a dead battery the next day or when you need your truck again. Besides, this trip with the motel etc $300+, and the other trips amount to over 10% of my total mileage. That's too much!!
    One other Tundra owner e-mailed me he had the same
    problem. Has anyone else had this problem?
  • Options
    I have had this problem too (in addition to my engine problems). It has happened on two occasions (Dec 26 and Dec 29, 1999). Both times, it occured when I was driving approx 75mph on the interstate (tended to occur on the bumpy sections of the road). Both times, the doors came unlocked and the dome light flickered to the rythm-of-the-bumps. Both times, it was cured by opening and slamming all the doors shut.

Please do us a favor (I have already done this, but the more reports they get, the more likely they are to make the manufacturer look into it). Report this to the Natl Highway and Traffic Safety Admin (www.nhtsa.dot.gov). I reported on 2/3/00. You can fill out an online report or call it in (info available on the website).
  • Options
  • Options
    hunterdahunterda Member Posts: 5
    I had the same problem and the dealer replaced the rear door latches with new upgraded ones. 1,000 later all is well.
  • Options
    rs_pettyrs_petty Member Posts: 423
    My perception of corporate america is that you will find the same guy works in the customer service area of all the big manufacturers. They were all trained by the little old lady that does Christmas returns at the department store ("whaddya mean it doesn't fit?"). What is the dealer doing to fix the problem?
  • Options
    Someone didn't like what I said in #265, so it was deleted. I will try to tame my emotions down this time.

I hope you never have the troubles that I have had and expect Toyota to take responsiblity for poor quality control because they don't work that way (I have found out the hard way). And don't believe that bologna in the back of the Tundra sales flyer (example - "Not only can you count on the quality of our vehicles, but on our enthusiams for making your entire ownership experience as easy and rewarding as possible." NOT TRUE!!). The only one willing to take responsibility for this lemon was the dealership (Presitge Toyota - NLR). They have taken on the responsibility that Toyota would not (but should have).

I spoke with several people at the Gulf States division of Toyota. None of them were willing to help. The so-called "customer relations manager" for Gulf States (Gary Kirchhof) was condescending, smart-mouthed, and rude (the WORST encounter I have ever had!). All they were willing to do for me was to give me an extended warranty (cover the truck to 100K). That was the ONLY offer given to me! I informed him that one of the major reason I had purchased a Toyota was that I shouldn't need this kind of warranty (I want reliability not coverage). I also told him that there should be no reason that an engine should have to be rebuild (a new head and valves) after only 8,600 miles (< 5 months of ownership) and who knows the quatity of metal shavings that remain in the engine. His statement was that "vehicles are machine and they will break down." I then replied that since the whole reason the engine had to be rebuild was because of poor quality control on Toyota's part, they should have to suffer the consequences (financialy) and not the unlucky soul who bought it, and the dealership who sold it to him. His statement was "that's your opinion." I wished I could have reached through the phone.....And when you call the Corp office, you can't get past the operator. And, to top it all off, I'm still in the same rental car (smells like smoke) since the truck died on the side of the road (2/3/00) because Toyota wouldn't overnight the parts.

Again, the only savior here has been my dealership. Hopefully, you will never be in the position I have been in (with a MAJOR engine problem). Because if you are, you can forget about Toyota doing the right thing.
  • Options
    rwagonerrwagoner Member Posts: 338
    I am sorry to hear about your truck engine problems, Kevin. Not surprised (my father-in-law had some similar experiences with his Lexus ... Toyota "quality" is a joke) but sorry. It is a drag to have your "dream truck" become a nightmare.

Hopefully everything will work out for you.

Richard
  • Options
    Here's where I agree with you: Everything you say about Gary Kirchof. Should shatter any illusions of "Gung Ho." And it doesn't sound like he's about to commit suicide, or resign his position the way those Japanese businessmen have been known to shoulder responsibility. His conduct probably deserves to be revealed to his superiors, but if they are like he is, you can't get to him. I wouldn't waste my time. I think you agree. Toyota will suffer, but probably not Kirchof.

Now, here's where I don't agree with you: It's contrary to business policy, to let outside influences have the final say in decisions about what is best for the company. Translation? They can't let you dictate the terms of how they try to satisfy you. I'm not saying whether this is good for you or not. Obviously it's not what you want, mechanical perfection. On the other hand, a 100,000 mile warranty would cover what just happened to you, 10 more times if it repeated. Now how likely is that? Wouldn't your case be strengthened if it happened more than once? And you can always trade for another one. Depreciation that occurred when you drove it off the lot, is a fact of ownership affecting all new vehicles. Even in a buyback you are going to pay mileage, which more or less, does represent depreciation.

I appreciate your courage to state the facts and circumstances, as you did. It should be a sobering reminder that in life, there are no guarantees, even from Toyota. It could have happened to GM, Ford, or Dodge also. Some will say it should have. GM has been pretty generous with buybacks on the Silverado. Maybe you haven't gone far enough. (No pun) And you still have the lemon laws to fall back on. I can't tell you what to do, but I can wish you the best of luck from this point on. Thanks.
  • Options
    I appreciate and respect your thoughts and opinions on this issue. I guess I wasn't really wanting an actual scene from Gung Ho to be played out (but I would expect a guy with his title to act a little more professionally). To address your points. I don't believe I want mechanical perfection. I just want a RELIABLE vehicle (that, again, is why I purchased a Toyota). I would rather have a truck with decreased probability to break down multiple times than have a truck that has had INTERNAL engine problem (and doors come ajar while driving) at 8,600 miles (and therefore, an increased probability of breakdown) and a warranty (it's a personal choice - I don't want the hassle). I believe, and a lot of other people do also, the following cliché - once a lemon, always a lemon. Therefore, since they made the lemon, shouldn't they be responsible for it? If I make a mistake in my professional life, someone could be physically or emotionally harmed - I am accountable for my work but car manufacturers are not? As far as my case being strengthened after multiple times, I didn't really like being stranded on the side of the road (25F ambient temp) when I needed to get to the hospital to take care my patients (I try not to be tardy - therefore, reliability is very important to me). This also why I purchased a 4WD.

I wasn't trying to dictate the outcome. However, like anything else I have ever negotiated, I was quite honest in what would completely satisfy me (they were welcome to make a counter offer - no such offer was made). Basically, what I was told was take-it-or-leave-it (no independent, strong-willed person likes to be told this). We could have discussed mileage, depreciation, but it was never mentioned.

I think it should be good business policy to do the right thing, even though it may not be in the policy and procedure manual. I do believe the Tundra is a good truck. I enjoyed mine until 2/3. I applaud you for standing up for it and Toyota. However, I must say from personal experience, and I'm sorry if this offends die-hard Toyota fans, that I feel Toyota customer service is lacking (not to say that all car manufacturer don't have the same problem, but I can't speak with FIRST-HAND experience with this kind of problem with the big 3).

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions; they have been very helpful. Good luck to all!!
  • Options
    I forgot to address this point. You say it is contrary to business policy to let "outside
    influences" affect company policy/decisions. So your saying that businesses should NOT try to meet, or even exceed, their customers expectations? If that is true, they should stop spending money on focus groups and customer relations departments.
  • Options
    You raise great points. I agree that businesses should try to meet, or exceed their customers expectations. But since the bottom line, is the bottom line, I'm skeptical I can expect 100% complete satisfaction. But when I think about it, Lexus has managed to do it, and Toyota would have you satisfied too, if not for the unpleasant reality that their idea of customer satisfaction in this case, has a limit that does not meet yours. I'm not saying I'm right or wrong about this.

But referring to this statement, "...If I make a mistake in my professional life, someone could be physically or emotionally harmed - I am accountable for my work but car manufacturers are not?"

I'm just expressing a personal opinion here, but when the Doctor makes a mistake, in good faith, not of malice, or deceit, they shouldn't have to be sued, go to court, face judgements, trial lawyers etc. After all, it's not their fault the patient was sick in the first place. Do Doctors still have to take the Hippocratic oath? I don't know, but suing doctors, blaming others just shifts responsibility, and creates mistrust. I loathe that trial lawyers make us all antagonists. Sorry, none of this is related to your truck problem.

But back on point, I'm not sure that everyone agrees that once a lemon, always a lemon. I guess the proof is in the pie. And it takes a while to finish eating it.
  • Options
    The title to this chat room is "tell us your Tundra experieces." I am sorry if I have offended you by telling the truth about my experiences with the truck and company so far. If we are only suppose to post good things, as soon as I have something good to post, I will. I guess it should be called "tell us only your good Tundra experiences."

They want a premium price for their product, but I can't expect reliability?
  • Options
    tundrasaursrextundrasaursrex Member Posts: 49
    I completely agree with you, Toyota should accept total liability in regards to your truck. I'm not a mechanics, so I can't say if their repairs are a solution. But if you had metal shavings floating around in the oil a lot more than the heads need replacement.

As far as Gary Kirchof goes, he has a boss. I'd find out who it is and write a nice little letter to him on your office stationary. With your title and the treatment you received they should take notice! Who knows they may be more responsive.
  • Options
    Not hardly.

But let me state something I do know something about, metal chips in the engine. The honest truth, is no big deal. They result from the machining process, and some chips are all but unavoidable. A new engine is always going to have shavings that eventually migrate to the oil pan, strainer, filter. Yours happened to end up in a bad place, causing the stuck valve.

As I said before, this could have happened to GM, Ford, or Chrysler. I don't own a Toyota. I'm fascinated with your account because you do. And my hope, is you get the satisfaction you expected when you purchased it. And that's why, in my fair estimation, the offer of a 100K warranty would have satisfied me, had I incurred your unfortunate circumstance. Not saying you are wrong to see it differently.
  • Options
    rwagonerrwagoner Member Posts: 338
    >I'm skeptical I can expect 100% complete satisfaction. But when I think about it,
    Lexus has managed to do it<

When they first launched Lexus, they made a big deal about flying a mechanic to a deserted area in order to fix a problem on a car that was recalled, but that was thousands of miles away from a dealer. Made great press, gave great public relations.

On the other hand, my father-in-law had to pay for a cracked oil pan on an LS400 that the dealer claimed was damaged from something he hit (even though the oil leak was apparant from day 1) and he had to rebuild a transmission just outside of warranty on another LS400.

I personally am not surprised that they aren't willing to work with you, but I do hope you can work out something. A letter to corporate headquarters might be good, as would copies of that letter to local newspapers. Perhaps you can get the local TV "troubleshooter" to publicize this. Or get Tom Leykis on the case ...
  • Options
    sdjsdjsdjsdj Member Posts: 2
    I fully understand why krobertson would not be too interested in more (100K) warranty - his truck is *presently* "covered" and he's now finding out just what that's worth. (not much)

Whether I would want a replacement engine or not would hinge on the size and quantity of the chips. A few large chips might not be a big deal. Then again he paid for a NEW truck, and this was certainly a defect in manufacture. If it were my new truck, I would have expected Toyota to do a better job of taking responsibility for the problem.

I'm very curious as to where the engine itself was assembled (US or Japan).

I was recently very close to a Tundra purchase (low-ball trade allowance sent me walking). I'm going to think more carefully about paying that premium for Toyota quality - especially if I have to make some compromises on features or size for the Tundra.
  • Options
    That would be any point I would make. Even if there were a slight reliability advantage to a Toyota, and from my experienece there isn't, I could never see it to merit having less opions and truck size. I am a buyer of the "whole package" and the best for my money. After owning 3 Toyota vehicles that although weren't bad vehicles, they didn't live up to all the hype. I have owned way more GM vehicles that proved in every case to be a better value for my money.

I sure hate to hear when someone has a bad experience with ANY make vehicle though. Knock on wood, GM has always stood by me and my vehicles, even on some things "outside of warranty".
  • Options
    truckguytruckguy Member Posts: 15
    I agree with RSWAGONER, you should send letters to corporate headquarters, but I would send them to headquarters in both the U.S. and Japan. Having worked in corporate America for 16 years (although not in the automotive industry), it is amazing what companies will do for you once a effective complaint reaches the right spot.

I would push this one to the limit. In addition to describing the problems you are having with the truck and with the regional distributor, acknowledge some of the positives (what things you are happy about with the truck and your dealership [I think you mentioned that they have been somewhat helpful]. Finally, tell them EXACTLY what it will take to make you a satisfied customer. Be factual and impassive at this time, save the threats for later.

I for one am glad you are sharing your issues on this board. Despite my disgust with Tundra bashers, I still check this site out to see what things I need to be aware of.

I know this won't make things better, but I do "feel your pain". My Mercury Village broke a crankshaft at 9 months stranding my wife and two kids 100 miles away from home. After being towed back to the dealership the engine was replaced. That was five years and 100,000 miles ago, so take heart, major repairs can be made that work out.

Good luck and please let everyone know how things turn out.
  • Options
    jtedjted Member Posts: 17
    The Tundra 4.7 V-8 Is made in Japan . At least that what it said on the window sticker.I will be watching on how you engine problem comes out.
  • Options
    pomy11pomy11 Member Posts: 23
    Have had a Tundra since Sept. experience has been great, not a problem, nothing. This is my first Toyota, have had Ford trucks since 77, no vibration, noise, transmision (auto and 5 speed) problems like the old blue ovals had. This is a wonderful vehicle, only problem I would like changed woulod be a supercharger and 5 speed option. Enjoy
  • Options
    I have began drafting several letters regarding the attitude of Mr. Kirchhof and lack of quality control on Toyota's part. These letters are addressed to Donold Esmond (VP and Gen Manager of Toyota Sales USA), Mamie Warrick (Corp Customer Relations Manager) and Yoshi Inaba (President and CEO of Toyota Motor Sales USA). I would like to send one to the head of Gulf States, but, as of yet, I am unable to find out who files this position. If anyone knows who this is, please let me know (or if you know anymore names at Corp Toyota).

In regards to the issue being resolved... As far as the satisfaction I felt I deserved, the dealer has taken care of that. However, since they looked out for me, I must make ever effort to make Toyota stands behind their product and takes care of my dealer. I am afraid they pissed the wrong guy off. It is the principle of the issue. I resent the fact that Toyota tried to wessle their way out of taking responsibility. If it takes it, I am willing to spend several thousands of dollars on ads in major newspapers (etc). Again, it is the principle of the issue.

This is why companies should "let outside forces" have a say in what decisions are made; they could piss a guy like me off. Hey, if this was salad dressing that tasted bad, I wouldn't go to all this trouble. But when you demand ~$30,000 on a vehicle (more than what a lot of my patients make in TWO YEARS), you had better stand behind your product!!!!
This discussion has been closed.