Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Tell us your TUNDRA experiences!

Comments

• Options
    robbken44robbken44 Member Posts: 5
    The first oil change has been the topic of discussion in posts 252 and 254. I have a new Tundra with 3000+ miles. Today I telephoned the call-in radio show hosted by Bobby Likis, http://carclinicradio.com . My question to Bobby was when, in terms of mileage, does he recommend starting to add an anti-friction product to the oil. Bobby replied that I should take the vehicle to a Toyota dealer at 3500 miles and have them change the oil and filter as per Toyota's recommendation. Then if there were no oil leaks at 7000, I would be confident that there were no oil leaks that would require warranty repair. He suggested I use 5W-30 (I plan to use Castrol GTX) thereafter. We then got to talking about the Tundra and I did not bring up the question of oil additive again. I guess I will have to call again next Saturday.
  • Options
    karmannghiakarmannghia Member Posts: 5
    Here is a suggestion that I thought it might help. As I was searching the web on a swiss watch that I was interested in getting. I happen to stumble upon a site of a guy who had problems with an Omega he just bought. He wrote his whole experiences with the watch and how the manufacture didn't want to resolve his problems. He even included a section for comments (this was very interesting part to read). He must have had over 500 comments. I noticed many comments were "wow, I am glad I found this site, made me think twice about getting the watch!" Because he dedicated his web site to the watch and made sure the title had Omega, the search engine was able to find it when I did a search on Omega.

Your intentions about placing an ad with the papers is good. However, you can reach millions via the net by this method and possibly cheaper. The guy even send the link of his web site to the manufacture. I hope your problem will not turn out this way, but this is an alternative that I found very effective. And no, I didn't end up getting the Omega, I bought a Rolex instead. :). Good luck.
  • Options
    rjcurryrjcurry Member Posts: 8
    You have impressed me on the way you've handled yourself with this problem. I think you are going about it the right way. The pin is a mighty weapon and if done right can bring down someone who is doing you wrong with their decision. Check www.tundrasolutions.com they have a bbs dedicated just for Tundra's and sometimes I see post from a Toyota engineer or something like that. It is the best website I have found for Tundra owners. Good luck on your quest and remember stay professional even if sometimes your opponent doesn't.

keep on trucking!!
  • Options
    blair9blair9 Member Posts: 4
    Could someone suggest horns to replace the motor-scouter beep my beloved Tundra arrived with ? Also I wonder about the emergency brake. If you had to use this thing and you don't want it to lock up do you press and release it repeatedly. In a difficult situation that could be a problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    tp4unctp4unc Member Posts: 437
    Hella super-twin(?) electric horns are nice. Performance Products sells them for around $67.
  • Options
    blair9blair9 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the suggestion.Can I assume there is a toll free # ? And could you be more specific "nice" ?? ...Hellonwheels or Hello goodbye ? Still hoping someone can share some ideas on the emergency brake in an emergency.
  • Options
    tp4unctp4unc Member Posts: 437
    Look to the left of this post...there is a link to Performance Products on this site. You can also try www.tundrasolutions.com for several posts on the subject of horns....and many other Tundra related items.
  • Options
    ronnybbkoolronnybbkool Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a new 2000 Tundra Limited. The price here in NY was an even 32k. This was an out the door price. This truck rides like a limo. I had to stop, get out and look to see if this was a pickup truck. Best of all, no rattling. I test driven the BIG 3, oh boy, better stop drinking while you boys are putting those big 3 trucks together. Looks like Toyota will lead the way to the future again. By the way, its put together in Indiana.
  • Options
    devil1devil1 Member Posts: 74
    What does the Tundra have on the FORD F-150?
    I'm still trying to make up my mind on which one to purchase.

I like the Flareside F-150 4x4 looks somewhat better and the backseats bigger.

I like the Tundra's V8 and the fact that it's a Toyota.

DOES the F-150 fit in the standard garage??
  • Options
    bud_light_dudebud_light_dude Member Posts: 330
    Yes, the F150 will fit in the standard garage. I have a standard two car garage and my Silverado which is longer and wider fits in it next to my wifes GrandAm just fine.

The F150 is a fine truck and would be a much wiser choice for just about every reason. Less money for more truck, more payload, more tow capacity, more optional equipment, more standard equipment, locking differential. Excellent Quality Controls.

Option for option, the F150 and the Silverado trucks are a much better value for the money.
  • Options
    kez1kez1 Member Posts: 2
    Got my Tundra (finally) on 2 March (25,216 for the
    4x2, Access cab/SR5 pkg.) Coming from a '98 T-100 a couple things that were quickly noted: the front leg room for Tundra is less than the T-100.
    I'm 6'3" and was real pleased to be able to stretch out in the T-100, esp. my left leg. Can't get that leg all the way out in the Tundra. The seatbelt retracts in the Tundra, the T-100 never did. Small stuff but for a pool man in/out all day both these things count. Overall, I'm babying it for the first 1K. It does seem to be a real good ride at this point - what I expected from the buzz around here in S.Cal. There are an awful lot of Tundras showing up around here lately. The extra power is super. Short bed is not so hot, but I carry my pool cart on a hitch so the bed length not a big deal for me. That emergency brake takes some getting used to. Hope this runs well as the T-100 and, that the electric window motors do a WAY better job than the T-100's which basically sucked after 15k miles. Dealers can't get enough Tundras around here, once they sat me down to negotiate I had that feeling they held the cards and had to take the truck I wanted at sticker. (they threw in a hitch).
  • Options
    DaggettDaggett Member Posts: 23
    I'm gonna buy a new truck next month (extended cab, 4x4, v8). Unless I am missing something, the Toyota I would buy is about the same price as the ford or chevy.

Toyota (tow hitch & wire, captains chairs, all weather, convenience, cd, fog lights, and 16" wheels)invoice is 25,529 and dealer will sell at 500 over invoice. 26,029

Ford (slide window, auto trans, trailer, cd, keyless entry, captains chairs, p255 tires, and limited slip) invoice is 25,536. I figure I can get at invoice. 25,536

Chevy (captains chairs, auto, p245 tires and wheels, fog lights, cd, and trailer package) invoice is 26,062. I don't know what I'd have to pay for the new 4-door, but it won't be less than invoice.

So, for the trucks I'm looking at Toyota is cheaper than the chevy (unless I'm missing something) and about 500 more than the ford. With Toyota, I give up limited slip, but I get a better engine than the smaller ford or chevy V8.

Build quality scares me about chevy, ford's small v8 is a little weak, and that leaves the toyota with no limited slip and a smaller back seat. At this point I'm leaning toward toyota for the perceived quality and price. I hate these decisions. Personally, I'd rather keep my '98 Dakota which has been great, but my wife wants to nest soon and we'll need 4 doors for the baby seat.

Anybody with advice?
  • Options
    rs_pettyrs_petty Member Posts: 423
    Don't forget that ABS is standard on LS; not sure on F150; option on Tundra. My experience is that if kids are in the back and want out you have to go all the way around the truck to open the doors on a 3 door cab. Might want to price the F150 CC. I found the trade-off in fit, finish, feel of Tundra overrode the smaller back seat and lack of ABS for my purposes.
  • Options
    That's weird about the Tundra having less leg room than the T-100. SUPPOSEDLY the Tundra has more front leg room than any of the Big3.. although that is the only statistic where it's actually bigger.. but maybe the T-100 had just lots of leg room.

I really like the T-100's size, and I am happy that the Tundra's similar size..

What about the back seat of the T-100 compared to the Tundra??
  • Options
    pchengpcheng Member Posts: 162
    Tundra has more leg room than the F-150?? Is that only on the driver's side? I have a Tundra, and vertically challenged at 5'7, so leg room isn't a big deal to me. But I have noticed that when my friend, who's about 6'1", rides in the passenger seat, he looks a little cramped. I would have thought the F-150 would accomodate him a little better. I've never checked the passenger leg room on the F-150, so I was just curious.
  • Options
    Well that's what I read, but who knows if it's right. I am 5'10 and didn't notice any problem, but again I'm 5'10.

I am so stuck between the F-150 and the Tundra as to which one to buy... They both have advantages (especially the Ford) and their disadvantages.
  • Options
    rs_pettyrs_petty Member Posts: 423
    cooling off time. It is too big a decision to rush. Try listing your requirements on a piece of paper and then give each one a value between 1 and 10 (1 being least important to you). List the advantages and disadvantages of each vehicle and give them a value of 1 to 10. List your requirements under each vehicle, add score. List advantage/disadvantage under each vehicle, add score. High score wins.
  • Options
    quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    When you are torn between (2) choices, sometimes it's advisable to step back from both. Events can change later, making the decision easier.

In the case of F150, T150 I would have to be thinking, is it more important that it's fun to drive, or that you get a good price per pound?

I'm happy, since I think the Silverado is more fun than the F150, and more useful than the T150, splits the difference.

The Tundra, I've said before, compelling as it is, I can't get used to the size. The F150 has plenty of size, but still manages to mask its hearty performance with a lack of excitement. Although I like the Ford seat, I don't like the layout of the instrument panel and dashboard, even if they do have good ergonomics. But I'm impressed with the quiteness of both, even more with the Ford because they made a quantum leap.

The Tundra lacks excitement in its interior layout (for me), but the driving essence, road feel is superior. I think in time, one could wish for more character. I think you're seeing this now, a rush to customize. That's not a criticism, except that in the case of headers, exhausts, superchargers, wheels and tires, it all serves to return the Tundra to something it naturally isn't, noisy, rough. Put those same mods on an F150, you turn heads.
  • Options
    pchengpcheng Member Posts: 162
    Here's my opinion (for what it's worth). Buy what you like and feel best with. They're both nice trucks. I'm sure either will give you years of great service.

When I was stuck in my decision, my neighbor suggestted that I ask my self a simple question: "If I were to buy __X__; would I ever ask myself 'Gosh, I wish I would have bought __Y__." Only you can answer this question.

If it's down to size, If you buy the Tundra, would you ever say, 'Gosh, I wish I had the extra 10 (or whatever) inches in the truck'. Or would you say 'Gosh, I wish I had a little bit smaller truck.'

You mentioned if the truck fits into a standard garage a while back. I can tell you that there is no such thing as a standard garage. I have a "standard" garage (according to my builder), and my Tundra fits by 6 inches (3 in front and 3 in back): essentially, it doesn't fit. My advice to you is measure the space and the measure the truck. If getting your truck into your garage is important to you.

Good luck (they are both nice trucks, and I don't believe that one is better than the other: they are both just trucks)
  • Options
    jquintjquint Member Posts: 4
    Right! I drove all three, Ford 150, Toyota Tundra, and GMC Sierra. All are good trucks no doubt about it. I researched all of them as much as possible. The GMC has the most room, but it looks alot like the old model. The Ford has been around for a few years and there are a ton of them out there. I finally settled for the Toyota because of the reliability and I like the way it looks, plus it will hold it's value. I know it's the smaller of the three but it fits my needs. My previous Toyota was ten years old, and I only had to replace a starter.
    Anyway, the reason I am writing is to see if any of you Tundra owners have purchased a tonneau cover? I have the over the liner bed cover and have a worry that the tonneau will look funny. Please let me know. Thanks.
  • Options
    samirpowarsamirpowar Member Posts: 28
    Go to www.tundrasolutions.com for all the Tundra action and answers to your questions. It's 'noise' free too!
  • Options
    I saw a picture of what appeared to be a crew cab Tundra..

Check out this picture and see for yourself

www.soar.to/trucks

then click on "NEWS"
  • Options
    kez1kez1 Member Posts: 2
    The rear seat area on my '98 T-100 I basically used for my tools. The seat cushions were thin and I could prop a bunch of tool boxes and stuff on the floor with the seats up. The teenagers could handle the backseat for short trips but for longer than an hour they had to go sideways with their legs propped up somehow. In my 2000 Tundra I found the rear area about the same but with fatter seat cushions there's actually less area on the floor with the seats up. I went out and bought a cross-bed tool box. When I look at the bed now I really see where Tundra lets me down - there's not a lot bed back there with a tool box. My dealer had one 6cyl. regular cab Tundra which they use for parts runs etc. The bed on it is quite impressive looking compared to the access cabs'. I sure hope Toyota gets a lot more bed into future plans. Oh yeah, one more thing on driver's side Tundra leg room: I continually tripped the valet/alarm toggle during the first few days while I tried to get my left leg stretched out and, unlike the T-100, the Tundra's emergency brake is down there too. For big guys looking at a Tundra you really got to drive it and work your self around for awhile - I think the cab layout is too cramped.
  • Options
    gportergporter Member Posts: 14
    I've had my A.R.E. Tonneau cover for a little over a month, So far, it's great. It may look a little funny with a bed liner because even the edging on it is painted to match the truck. But on the other side of the coin, I have to raise the height adjusting screws, as the rubber settles on them, to keep the rubber seal about an 1/16th above the box, to avoid paint wear. With the bed liner, this wouldn't be a problem. The only place water ever leaks in is along side of the tail gate, in the car wash. The cover can't prevent that.
    One other thing to add to the pro's and con's when deciding on a truck is the warranty. Toyota has a 5yr. 60,000 miles on powertrain. GM and Ford I believe have a 3yr 36,000 miles. A gal that I work with just bought a Chevy Silverado 3/4 ton, She got a good price on it, then they tried to sell her an extended warranty for $2,000 to get what Toyota gives you up front. She ended up getting it for just under $1,000, extending it to 6yrs, 72,000. The salesmen seem to be able to charge anything they can get away with.
  • Options
    I got an offer in the mail for a 6 yr, 100K extended warranty for $750. (GM truck) The Toyota does have very good powertrain warranty, but the GM has a better body rust through warranty.
  • Options
    gportergporter Member Posts: 14
    Did Toyota ever satisfy you in resolving your defective engine? Or did your dealer end up resolving it?
    Toyota vehicle quality has been rated very high for years, but people have rated their satisfaction with Toyota dealerships vs other dealerships being close to the bottom. Are the tides changing? I've had 5 Toyota's, and almost all that I've had to do to them is change oil every 3000 miles. I don't know if the products would have improved this way anyway, but the 2 Camrys and my Tundra that were built/assembled in North America seem superior to the quality of the cars that were imported from Japan. I've had better luck with Toyota, but how they would resolve a problem like yours is a very important part of the sale. If they really have fewer defects, they should be able to do a better job of going that extra mile to make you feel good about a 30K investment. GOOD LUCK! My 2wd SR5 is running flawless, only complaint is gas mileage below 15 mpg.
  • Options
    krobertson1krobertson1 Member Posts: 18
    I was called by a representative for the President of Toyota Japan and USA. I also received a call from a representative of Gulf States Toyota. All were apologetic regarding Mr. Kirchoff's poor attitude and assured me something would be done.

I told them the only way I would be completely satisfied is that they make sure my dealer did not loss money on correcting THEIR mistake. I have been informed by my dealer that this has indeed happened.

My first Toyota experience... Great experience with the dealer (Prestige in NLR, AR) but bad with Toyota Motor Corp... As you said, if an occurrence like mine is rare, why didn't they take care of it properly? I mean, they should have tried to push something like this under the rug fast! Oh well, my dealer and I stuck together and we both got restitution in the end.
  • Options
    wblainewblaine Member Posts: 1
    Just took delivery of a 4x4 standard cab v8 Tundra. It's replacing a 91Toyota std 4x4. After my experiance with the small PU I bought a Camry. Before these vehicals I had an Astro van and a Jeep. I was so soured on the Astro I haven't looked at another GM product. I tried real hard to be objective about the F150, which I think is the only competition for the Tundra. Both are labled "best buy" by Consumers Report. The Ford dealer was less than helpful. I did all my research on the various websites. In comparison, the interior space is a wash. The F150 has an inch more hiproom. It's also 4 inches wider on the exterior. The F150 is 8 inches longer, but has less leg room. Open the hood and you'll see the 8 inches of dead space in front of the engine. The F150 exterior is overall larger, and the box is wider and deeper. It's larger exterior doesn't translate in that much more useful space. I put 300 miles on the Tundra today. It rides better and is quieter than the Camry. Up and down hills, it only dropped out of overdrive once. The engine is the deciding point. The Ford XLT is comparible in standard accessories to the Tundra SR5 v8. The price was close enough not be an issue. The F150 has standard ABS. I have a friend that bought a F350 with the Triton V10. He's has numberous problems (including a failed transmission while towing a 5th wheel down the mountain) in his first 6 months. Tried 4 different dealers to resolve the problems. Now looking to trade it in on a Sliverado.
  • Options
    What repairs did they make to your truck? Replace the head(s)? Any more/less?
  • Options
    obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Question: What is a spammer?
  • Options
    z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    $1207 in add on fees seems high to me. What is MFA, PIO-holdback and dlr wholesale reserve.

Call them what ever you want - they are additional dealer profit. I know all dealerships are starting to be creative with the fees but this is excessive. The 3.5% over dealer cost sounds great, but adjust all the added fees out and you paid $2,112 over cost. This is 9% over. Still not that bad of a deal, but you could have done much better.
  • Options
    meredithmeredith Member Posts: 575
    In general....

a "spammer" is someone who floods your mailbox with unwanted junk mail.

In the Edmunds context this may include someone who posts the same message over and over again....

I allow a certain leeway for such posts - positive or negative - providing they bear some resemblance to the topic under discussion. But my latitude is NOT unlimited.

Front Porch Philosopher
    SUV, Pickups, & Aftermarket and Accessories Host
  • Options
    rwellbaum2rwellbaum2 Member Posts: 1,006
    Meridith is the moderator. She owns a chevy suburban, and tries to delete posts that slam chevy guys, yet she lets the Tundra bashing go on, unabated. Bld has cussed, called people unmentionable names and still nothing is done. If a Tundra owner has a witty come back or a good point that makes chevy look bad, it's deleted. Rubluetoo and BLD have nothing to fear from the moderator. This is why most of the Tundra owners gave up on this now useless forum and are having a great time in the tundrasolutions.com site. I'm sure I'll be banned soon enough and that will leave only chevy and ford guys to tell everyone about the Tundra.
  • Options
    especially life in edmunds.com...hope this helps...
  • Options
    No, it won't...but I appreciate your attempt. ;)
  • Options
    She is?....Meridith? I'm sorry, my wife said he was a she. I mean he wasn't a he, or in other words, she was not a he. ;)
  • Options
    rite3rite3 Member Posts: 69
    Does anyone know if the tundras have a limited slip rear end?. Thanks.
  • Options
    arkie6arkie6 Member Posts: 198
    No, The Tundra does not have an optional limited slip or locking rear differential available.
  • Options
    bg4dgbg4dg Member Posts: 44
    Meredith can ban me too if she wants. I've got a shakin' Z71 and that's no B.S. BLD, her and all the rest can pack sand, 'cause a while back I challenged BLD or anyone else to prove they had more first hand experience with ALL brands. No takers. It's always the same. "Tundra's aren't full size." well, how much smaller than the smallest "full size" do you have to be before your not a "full size"? Until the Tundra, the Dodge must not have been "fullsize". "Them Toys jist give up on the big loads, good luck with this one now!" More crap, since no one, especially me, tries to make out a Tundra as a 3/4 or 1 ton. "They always compare the Tundra V-8 against the smallest V-8's from Ford, Dodge, and Chevy, not the real motors like the 360, the 5.3, or the 5.4." HELLO, they compare the motors with the closest displacement, not the biggest things the "big 3" have to offer against the 4.7 in the Toy. No, the Tundra is not flawless, but the more I get lied to about the supposed "fix" for the vibration problem, the more I want to buy another Toy. (And it cost less, not more than my Z71, even if you call it "less" truck.)
  • Options
    I believe Quadrunner500 had stated that Meredith is a guy.
  • Options
    trucksrmetrucksrme Member Posts: 381
    Down on the farm we not be noticin the ride as much, to busy workin em hard to be givin it much notice now. Them that work that truck be lookin for haul and tow, that ride just be that ride. Seems they all ride smooth when haulin 7500lbs about. We got us one old 52 Chevy, be ridin tough with an empty tank for sure, but when we give it the fill (500 gallon), it smooths on out quick. Ya might want to mount a tank on that one ya got, give it the fill, that should smooth it out, and quick. Good luck on this one now!
  • Options
    toyloyaltoyloyal Member Posts: 17
    Is anyone noticeing unusually high oil pressure readings. At idle I'm in the lower normal range at 35 mph I'm in the high range. Keep expecting to find oil all over the driveway.
    Dealer says it's OK as long as you've got oil pressure (I disagree about it being OK). It's usually excessive oil pressure that blows gaskets and seals that leads to no oil pressure.
  • Options
    toyloyaltoyloyal Member Posts: 17
    A lot has sure gone on in here since I was last here.
    I said back in October that the Tundra had an air of Detroit about it, and that Toyota's customer service had been Americanized. (all pattern letters for your responses and no personal concern).
    The only thing about Tundra is that IT IS A TOYOTA, at least that's what I'm telling myself.

I won't feel real bad about giving GMC or Ford a closer look next time. Especially if I knew when I bought this Tundra that I'd only get 12mpg. Heck, "Big Foot" gets 8mpg, and doesn't have to put up with traffic jams.
    The only real Toyota left is the Tacoma.
    Toyloyal is questioning his loyalties.
  • Options
    budlitedude3budlitedude3 Member Posts: 14
    Hmmmmmmmm. Not rubbing salt in a wound, but I know that a lot of Tundra problems are being kept quiet so as to save face. Tundras are just as problem prone as the rest.

Sorry you are having problems with your truck. Really sucks when your expectations are let down.
  • Options
    tundrasaursrextundrasaursrex Member Posts: 49
    Yeah there's a big conspiracy going on at Toyota....I hear it's being led by the guy on the grassy knowl.....Kind of like GM's exploding c/k gas tanks
  • Options
    Your such a moron. Are you so stupid to believe that GM was the only one making their gas tanks out of metal and placing along the side of the truck, making them side impact hazards??

Toyota made their trucks and still does make their trucks the same way, only now they use a non-metal gas tank.

BTW: It is a fact that 60 minutes made up the exploding gas tank by using blasting caps. Something that was shoved under the rug. The only thing GM did wrong was be the lucky one that had a side impact explosion. Could have been any of them, including your pos Toyota.

All vehicles have exactly the same things happen and ALL manufacturers try and pay out as little as possible because of it, including imports. All that false sense of reliability you claim with the Tundra is a result of many years of trial and error, even on Toyota's part.

You're too stupid to see anything but communist red. Of course, what else should one expect from a loser like you.
  • Options
    Have you checked your head gaskets lately? How about your valvetrain? Valvetrain still intact?

Just thought I would ask. Since Toyota had over SIX YEARS of head gasket problems that they denied was their fault, guess that makes all Toyota's junk if I use your illogical and ignorant thought process. Faulty gaskets from a Vendor? Not hardly. Try heads too small to withstand the cylinder pressures. Simply blows the path of least resisitance, which happens to be the head gasket. Toyota dumb-sses claimed faulty gaskets. The owners were even more stupid to believe that a gasket problem would continue for over 6 years. Fact is, Toyota built a cheap engine that couldn't take its own cylinder head pressure.

Here is a clue for you bright one. Next time you want to throw out trash, at least have mechanical knowledge to be able to back it up. Do you even know where to add oil to that pos Tundra????

What a joke you are......:)
  • Options
    tundrasaursrextundrasaursrex Member Posts: 49
    Wow...bld you have a real anger problem....you relax a little...

I find it very humorous, you calling me a loser. And stupid! You don't know the first thing about me! But may I enlighten you...

Based on statistics and the background you've mentioned in posts(not to mention grammar and spelling), I bet I am far more educated than you. In fact, I am a highly educated and well compensated professional and am in the top percential in personal income and job benefits. I have no financial worries (except unbelievable taxes) and have a annual disposable income in the low six figures. Best of all, I did it all on my own--no help from anyone! I am far from a loser. In fact I'd say I am a winner!

I'd love to meet you and show you what a fool you are. But it would only be out of spite, to rub it in your face! Life is too short. I'd rather spend it with my family, my well provided for, happy, healthy and well educated family. So instead I'll wish you a happy life and a healthy, happy family. Oh yeah, and a trouble free truck.
  • Options
    trucksrmetrucksrme Member Posts: 381
    We aint got that disposable income on the farm now. We like to spend any extra we be comin up with, not disposin of it for sure. Have found that them big3 be holdin up better on the farm now. Buyin a little truck for that farm be the same as disposin of that income I suppose. Good luck on this one now!
  • Options
    DaggettDaggett Member Posts: 23
    Tundrasaurus - Though is does appear ridiculous for BLD to call other people stupid, my Grandma always said "only a fool argues with a fool".

Your post does, however, get me thinking about education-level and brand ownership...

I am also an over-educated person (meaning I'm educated far beyond my natural intelligence) and I have noticed that highly educated people tend to drive Volvo's, Toyota's, etc. Go to the local hospital, university, or law firm and look at the brands of vehicles represented. Some of it is a status thing, but I know a lot of doctors, professors, and lawyers, who do not buy status vehicles and they tend to own older Camry's, Accords, etc with hundreds of thousands of miles on them. The few doctoral-level people I know who do own trucks, own Toyotas.

One possible explanation (I'll beat trucksrme to the punch line here) is that "dem doctorin types dont need no haul, down on the farm them big3 be workin, good luck on this one now". But if you talk with us doctoral-types, you'd find that we buy vehicles based on expected reliability more than any other reason. If the Big3 were more reliable and cost less to maintain, the more educated would tend to buy them over imports such as Toyota.

A couple caveats: Notice I used educated instead of intelligent. There's a big difference, a couple of the smartest/clever/bright people I know are high school drop-outs. I also think that even highly educated people would buy big3 if they wanted a low-cost, regular cab, simple truck to use soley for plowing the driveway, planting trees, or hauling logs at the million dollar estate.

Look at the overwhelming majority of pickups on the roads these days. The personal use trucks are extended cab, cd player, auto windows and locks, etc. What are the vast majority of these personal-use pickups used for? Daily commute, tow the boat, occasional hauling, and a lot of recreational stuff like motorcycles, 4 wheelers, snowmobiles, camping, fishing and hunting. The Tundra was designed for this category. Performance-wise it is VERY competitive and if the reliability is Toyota-like, the Tundra will prove to be a great alternative to the Big3 for a personal-use truck.

The guys buying a truck soley for HEAVY duty work (hauling tons of concrete blocks every week, etc) aren't going to buy a 1/2 ton anyway.

A lot of these arguments we continue ad nausaeum are based on our own image and peer pressure. Truck guys are the most brand loyal of all vehicle owners, and I think a lot of it is the tough-guy image. Some of the people on this site (I won't mention any names) pose as big tough guys who drive brand X and can't drive a toyota cause then they wouldn't be big and tough. The peer pressure thing is funny, I get the comments from my friends about driving a rice-burner, etc. How can a guy who works road construction park is Tundra next to 10 of his buddies F150s without feeling a little left out? Because there has only been 3 types of full size pickups for years and years, a fierce brand loyalty has developed that doesn't exist in the sedan world where people can choose from dozens and dozens of different styles, brands, and models.

So, to the reader who has read all this jibberish and has come here looking for information to buy a new pickup, don't buy a Tundra unless you're brave and tough enough to be a pioneer in the rough world of pickups. If you are up to the challenge, you won't regret it cause the Tundra is a great truck.
This discussion has been closed.