Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan

Comments

• Options
    gene_vgene_v Member Posts: 235
    Pardon my stupidity. What is PZEV?
  • Options
    akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle. That's about as low as you can get with a combustion engine.
  • Options
    What could Ford media possibly announce? All that's been released so far is the platform and engines. You'll see more once they show the pre-production model.
  • Options
    Thanks.
  • Options
    IMHO the car that needs the 3.5 NOW is the Five Hundred and the Montego. They need the power. Too bad its only going to be on the 2008 model. I'm 70 years old with arthritis and I can get in and out of that vehicle. Not as easy with the Fusion.
  • Options
    I don't disagree but most 500 buyers just don't care about HP and the 3.0L is more than adequate.
  • Options
    allfiredupallfiredup Member Posts: 736
    I have to agree that I find the commercial a little misleading. Then again, I'm biased because I was really hoping for/expecting an AUX jack in the Fusion. I think many more people would get use out of an AUX jack than MP3 capabality. Both will be industry standard in a couple of years.
  • Options
    The Five Hundred and Montego do need the 3.5L to be competitive, but the 3.0L model actually has good power in most situations.

Two of my best friends work for a large corporation and get Fords as company cars. One of them just received his Five Hundred and I drove it last Sunday for a while. It never felt underpowered and I have a heavy foot and have been driving a Maxima for the last two years.

The 3.5L will probably just make the power more readily available, but not make the car that much faster.
  • Options
    You just said it didn't feel underpowered at all, so why would it need the 3.5L to be competitive? Of course they'd probably sell a few more with it but overall I don't think it will hurt sales enough to be a problem.

I do think the Zephyr needs it just to differentiate itself from the Fusion/Milan more and keep up with the competition.

Too bad they won't have enough capacity to roll it out across the lineup next year.
  • Options
    307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    The Milan has different interior trim, grill and tail lights from a Fusion, but the Accord and TL are much more different, not sharing any sheetmetal, interior, transmissions or engines.
    Altima and G35 (as original poster posted) are not even close.
    A Milan-only board would die due because of limited number of things that are unique about the Milan.
    Didn't the Taurus and Sable boards get combined because there was not enough interest in the Sable for the board to sustain itself?
  • Options
    wintersbkwintersbk Member Posts: 4
    I signed papers a few days ago at a local Ford dealership. The car was not in stock but they assured me they could find it. Fully loaded SEL Tungsten with charoal interior. Now the dealership states they cannot find that car and all other Ford dealers in the area are not going to trade them the appropriate car because they, themselves are selling them a soon as they come in. I get the feeling they want me to take the lessor car on their lot. I will absolutely not cave on this. I will give them another week to find the car and then request theu order direct from Ford.

Am I crazy or unreasonalble? Anyone lese having trouble finding their car?
  • Options
    That's entirely possible, either because they are selling well or because nobody wants to do business with that dealer. Also possible they're hosing you. Did you try dealing with the one that has the car in stock? You can check stock at various dealers via forddirect.com even if they won't tell you where it is. I'd order it if you're happy with the price, then tell them if they can find one in stock earlier to let you know.

You'll love the Tungsten - it looks like granite. I was also sold on the charcoal interior but my dealer had a fully loaded SEL V6 already ordered with medium light stone and I think it looks even better than the charcoal. The top part of the dash and center stack is the same but the lower parts and seats are a light grey. You might consider that.
  • Options
    You just said it didn't feel underpowered at all, so why would it need the 3.5L to be competitive?

Because every other car in the class has signficantly more power available (if not standard). The car magazines have done nothing but criticize the lack of horsepower on the car, even though they acknowledged it had adequate acceleration. All I meant was a lot of customers see that similar cars have 230-280 horsepower and automatically assume the Five Hundred is underpowered. Even though, in reality, they'd never use anywhere near the 203 hp it offers.
  • Options
    Didn't the Taurus and Sable boards get combined because there was not enough interest in the Sable for the board to sustain itself?

That is probably one reason they were combined, but on a site predominantly for auto enthusiasts, you have to assume there are very few who'd want to discuss either the Taurus or Sable. :P

I agree, though, the Milan and Fusion should be one forum. Maybe the Zephry should be a separate one?
  • Options
    Have you tried using the FordDirect.com website to locate the car at another dealer? It's a good tool and they seem to update it on a regular basis.

To answer your question- no, you're not being unreasonable. You should get what you want, end of story. If they're trying to push you into something you don't want, I'd find a new dealer. I'd think most dealers would be happy to order you one if they can't locate it.

Good luck!
  • Options
    hatleyhatley Member Posts: 7
    at least one reviewer questioned the need for all the chrome. for me it is also the tail lights and headlights, so i will probably get the milan.
    but i don't like that grill either. in the various car magazines they have ads in the back for various after market products. also ford has stated that they are marketing the car to the 30 and 40 somethings, who apparantly like all that flash.
  • Options
    navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
    You obviously didnt read my message properly.

I never said to put the Milan seperately. I merely stated that the Fusion and Milan should be combined into one, while the Zephyr should be alone.

Those Accord/TL, Altima/G35 comparisons were meant to show how the Zephyr needs its own thread.

And yes, you're not telling me anything new with saying a limited number of things that are unique about the Milan. We all know that.
  • Options
    chrisfordchrisford Member Posts: 55
    I don't think you are crazy. The car you get should be the car you want. I would of done the exact same thing if I were in your position.
    Back in August I went to my local Ford dealership to checkout info on the Fusion, but they were more interested in selling me a Taurus instead. If they can't deliver the goods take your business elsewhere and get the car you desire.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    s'okay by me ... title here changed and Lincoln Zephyr is open and ready to resume business. :shades:
  • Options
    dan1dan1 Member Posts: 76
    I just drove a silver SEL about 20 minutes ago at Courtesy Ford here in Denver. Not sure if it was Tungsten but it was a light charcoal metallic with the dark grey leather interior. Nice car the dash plastic looked a little cheap but over all a nice package.
  • Options
    Just a followup. I just got off the phone with the dealership & they are going to order my Tungsten Fusion direct from Ford. They say it will take 4 - 6 weeks. We'll see I planning on closer to 8 weeks. But the good news is I got exactly what I wanted at a great price.

I wonder if any new incentives come along in the next 8 weeks, if I will be eligible for those. Probably not. :cry:
  • Options
    micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    General rule of thumb is, you qualify for all the incentives in place at the time of delivery. VW goes a little further and gives you your choice of the incentives in place at the time of order or the time of delivery. Chevy only gives you the incentives in place at the time of delivery.

I think incentives will only get better in the next 8 weeks.

How are they pricing your car - msrp, $600 over invoice, invoice, below invoice? (There is still profit margin in an "invoice" deal due to holddbacks and off-invoice incentives; "invoice" has become industry-speak for the wholesale msrp, and something dealers can safely show to us because there are other things going on in the background, for example the holdbacks and dealer cash....)
  • Options
    Light charcoal? Dark grey? Are you sure you drove a Fusion? ;)

Tungsten is a light grey or dark silver. According to their online inventory it was either a charcoal beige w/ med. light stone interior (very light grey seats/carpet w/black upper dash) or a tungsten (light silver/dark grey) w/charcoal interior (solid black).
  • Options
    nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    I think they were thinking, there's no other brightwork on the car, most people like it from what I've heard.
  • Options
    "I agree, though, the Milan and Fusion should be one forum. Maybe the Zephry should be a separate one?"

I totaly agree - and was disturbed when they were combined.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    and it was done ...
  • Options
    They were also thinking "let's make it stand out from the crowd but in a way that is 100% American". I think they nailed it.
  • Options
    Why, thank you!
  • Options
    scootertrashscootertrash Member Posts: 698
    Did anyone see this month's Car and Driver?
    They compared the Accord, Camry, Fusion and Hyundai. The Fusion came in second.

Ironically, The Honda Toyota and Hyundai are all made in the US and the Ford is the only imported one.

Does anyone think it's odd that the Fusion has the chrome grille and the Milan has Mercury's signature brushed silver trim, but the Fusion has brushed silver trim on the gauges and the Mercury has Chrome?
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,377
    you ordered it, you didn't buy it yet. ;)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    fsmmcsifsmmcsi Member Posts: 792
    Now that you mention it, the Camry, Avalon, and ES330 should be combined, as should the Altima and Maxima. It is a complete nuisance to have what are trim variations of the same car discussed in multiple places.
  • Options
    Has anyone seen the Charcoal Beige color in person? If so, how would you describe it? Online, it looks good, but I can't really tell what color it actually is.

None of the dealers near me have any in this color. Any info would be great.

Thanks!
  • Options
    Sorry for the confusion. It was a tungsten (light silver/dark grey) w/charcoal interior (solid black).

It appears I got MSRP. I built my ford on FordDirect.com printed off the sheet, took it into the dealership and said I wanted this car ($25,320). Salesman left, came back with that price, less $1,000, financed through Ford @ 6.9%.

I said, "let's do it!" Deal was done.

And the rest of the story, I have explained in the above posts.

I also notice now on FordDirect.com that the base price of the SEL has changed. That same car now calculates out to be $26,025. :P
  • Options
    gogophers1gogophers1 Member Posts: 218
    I've seen the Charcoal Beige on a Milan at a local dealer and it's not pretty. Well, I guess that all depends on your perspective but I didn't care for it. Think "chocolate brown" and you've pretty much nailed it.
  • Options
    I don't think the prices have changed - you must be looking at different options. Do you have the details of the $25320 price?
  • Options
    mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    Drove a Fusion the other night in my dealers inventory. The drivers' power seat was not working right. Only the back part of the seat tilted. Annoying that this should get through the factory and the dealer prep :(

So far I like the Milan interior better and the Fusion interior it seems more warmer and up scale.

I can't understand why you CAN'T get a leather wrapped wheel on the SE.
  • Options
    The maxima is FWD and always has been AFAIK.
  • Options
    fsmmcsifsmmcsi Member Posts: 792
    Since the government crash tests are out, it seems the Fusion needs to be renamed the Fourstar to reflect the dismal results.
  • Options
    4 stars is not dismal, but it is one less reason to buy it.
  • Options
    wt4000wt4000 Member Posts: 37
    The 2006 Passat and 2006 Audi A4 also received 4 stars but both received the Highest Rating from the Insurance Institute, the "Best Pick" for frontal crash performance.

The 2006 Mercedes E-Class and C-Class also received 4 stars, as did the BMW Z4.

NHTSA changed things for 2006, the Taurus and Focus used to have 5 stars now get 4 stars.

Even Volvo S40 and S60 for 2006 get 4 stars
  • Options
    Let amend my comments, the Fusion actually beat the 2006 Mercedes C-Class and Audi A4 in the 2006 crash testing!!!

The Fusion actually achieved LOWER Head Injury and Chest Deceleration numbers than both of the more expensive German cars. In the case of the "Best Pick" Audi A4, the Fusion scored significantly better.

Sort of funny when a reasonably priced car like a Fusion beats a Mercedes in crash testing.
  • Options
    That's weak praise. The real issue is that the Mercedes isn't better. Mercedes has lots of problems lately, but the Mercedes design is quite old now, so they have some excuse.
  • Options
    I can't understand why you CAN'T get a leather wrapped wheel on the SE.

Because they want you to step up to the SEL. ;)
    Perhaps it might be available as an accessory from the dealer, like Honda offers. The leather wheel is only standard on leather seat models, but for about $100 installed you can get one that looks great.

For the extra $1085, you get a few cool things in the SEL over the SE. The best being the 17" wheels that are a "must" on this car, IMO.
  • Options
    gogophers1gogophers1 Member Posts: 218
    For the extra $1085, you get a few cool things in the SEL over the SE. The best being the 17" wheels that are a "must" on this car, IMO.

Don't be fooled into thinking you NEED 17" wheels. The drive toward larger wheel diameters is entirely a cosmetic/style fad like vinyl woodgrain applique, landau roofs and decklid luggage racks have been in the past.

On a midsize car, the marginal increase in handling you get by moving to a 17" diameter wheel from a 16 is far outweighed by the marginal decrease in ride comfort. I guess 17s are fine if you live where the pavement is very smooth (e.g., the desert Southwest), but up here in Minnesota, people cannot afford to sacrifice any additional sidewall. The pavement is just too choppy.
  • Options
    My opinion is based solely on the looks of the 17", not the handling benefits. I have to admit, though, that I've only seen the 16" alloys (optional on the SE) on the website and not in person. But the 17" do look awesome and they really fill out the wheel wells and add to the sporty stance of the Fusion.
  • Options
    jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    NHTSA changed things for 2006, the Taurus and Focus used to have 5 stars now get 4 stars.

I didn't know that, what did they change?

Since my wife recently bought a Jetta, I'll use that as an example of why the gov't frontal test is not sufficient information on which to judge the overall safety of a car:

The new VW Jetta also got only 4 stars, but "good" rating from IIHS and IIHS "best pick" for side impacts. On the other hand the Dodge Stratus gets 5 stars but only "acceptable" from IIHS, not to mention a "poor" rating on IIHS side impact test. In my opinion, a "4 star" car like the Jetta is safer overall than the "5 star" Stratus.
  • Options
    tbear503tbear503 Member Posts: 70
    This is a nice feature that prevents one from accidently locking the car with the keys in the ignition (I have done that with the car running, no less!). You can otherwise lock it without using the remote. I have a Sonata with this new feature.

I tell you what, I saw a Fusion for the first time yesterday...to me it is one nice looking car. It would definitely have been on my short list had it come out sooner. I think it's outstanding. The Lincoln Zephyr is also absolutely beautiful. Very glad the Ford is getting away from the VW look!
  • Options
    jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    Very glad the Ford is getting away from the VW look

Funny...some folks on VW forums say the 500 is a copy of the 1999-2005 Passat and the Fusion/Milan is a copy of the 1999-2005 Jetta :surprise: :D.
  • Options
    ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
    They need to worry more about the reliability of their vehicles...rather than what looks like what. It's no secret J.Mays who designed for VW, now works for Ford. But I can promise you, the new Fusion was not at all inspired on the exterior by VW, Prelude or CTS for that matter. The cues were taken from the concept MANY years ago, and incorporated many current design trends.

Anyone take a look at the new GMC Denali? Looks like a Ford 500 on stilts...
  • Options
    Weak praise? Hardly, the Fusion has topped the IIHS's "Best Pick" winners Audi A4 and Mercedes C-Class. Those vehicles achieved the highest rating available.

Even more impressive, the Fusion actually matched the larger Mercedes E-Class in frontal crash performance, receiving similar head injury and chest injury results. The E-Class is regarded as one of the world's safest vehicles.

Weak praise, I don't think so!

Don't be confused by the new star rating, NHTSA is trying to get manufacturers to stop the trend of making vehicles more stiff in the front so vehicles don't do as much damage to the other car. Personally I would take a vehicle that is more stiff so that it performs better if hit by a larger vehicle or at a higher speed than what NHTSA tests at.