2024 Chevy Blazer EV lease from Bayway Auto Group Click here

2024 Jeep Grand Cherokee lease from Mark Dodge Click here

2025 Ram 1500 Factory Order Discounts from Mark Dodge Click here
Options

Acura MDX 2007

Comments

• Options
    tkp013tkp013 Member Posts: 3
    hi, just wondering did u ever get this problem fixed with the 19 inch tire upgrade or is it still pulling? thnks.
  • Options
    hcanterhcanter Member Posts: 9
    Does anyone know if and when they will offer this on the MDX? I have a RL and I love this feature.

Also, Car and Driver just named MDX #1 in contest of Mid-Size Lux. SUV's.
  • Options
    ocbuyer1ocbuyer1 Member Posts: 12
    I am confused between these two pakages on 07 MDX. I know I want the Ent package but as for sport vs tech I don't really know the difference except the price of course. Can anyone give me some direction. Thanks
  • Options
    varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    That's where things get a little sticky with Acura pricing schemes.

In order to get the Sport package, you must also purchase the Technology package.

To get the Entertainment package, you must either buy the Sport/Tech combo, or just the Tech.

This chart might help. This list spells out what is included in each of the packages (scroll to the bottom).
  • Options
    larryallen707larryallen707 Member Posts: 174
    My wife has a nokia 6102i that she uses in her 2007 Acura MDX with blue tooth. The main problem is that she can’t use the actual cell phone once it is paired with the car’s hands free link. She can only use the phone through the car. When she tries to make a call using the phone (instead of the hands free link) she just gets dead air, no dial tone, and usually the call doesn’t even go through. Additionally, once it disconnects with the hands free link, she can not connect it again without turning off the car and starting it up again. Anybody have any thoughts? Dealer and Cingular Wireless are WORTHLESS. Thanks.
  • Options
    davantdavant Member Posts: 294
    OC,
    Acura does a good job of explaining the feature differences but here's my take on what the Sport offers over the Ent-Tech besides including the Tech package features:

- Five spoke 18" magnesium look rims. These are the easiest to clean ever! Being a bright gun metal color, they hide brake dust very well yet still have a luxury lustre separating them from other trim models. Classy yet simple, they're my fave 'sleeper feature'.

- Sport/Comfort mode suspension with Active Damper shocks. This is not hype, it really works. I prefer Sport, she prefers Comfort. Comfort is cushier and plush by Acura standards. Contrary to pro reviews, the button stays in whatever mode it was last left in, not Sport by default. When you go around corners, the shocks basically stiffen on the weight bearing side and take but 5 milliseconds, (.005 Seconds) to adjust. It does this by controlling magnets surrounding perforations where the shock fluid passes through. The fluid has magnetic particles suspended in it so the more electricity sent to that magnet, the thicker the fluid becomes at the perforation, resulting in stiffening/increased dampening for that individual shock. It's not an amazing light switch type feature but certainly rewards flexible driving styles with a toy slot car driving experience. How much this matters in routine driving is up to you. Try this for yourself though. Take a Sport equipped MDX in Sport mode into a tight turn, (traffic circle will work in a pinch) and mash on the gas hard mid-corner. The dang thing will power scoot right around the corner better than most Europeon built sedans, scaring the timid. This has to do with the Super Handling AWD (tacky name) that is predictive & interactive with the shocks versus the post slide/spin sensing reactive based methods found on any other SUV at any price. The non-Sport versions don't have active shocks but are supposedly tuned close to the comfort setting and still benefit from the front rear and left right SH AWD. The Sport models teeth gritting near 1.0 G-force experience itself is worth the extra price of admission, especially in a mid-size SUV. Warn your passengers as this isn't something you should do with the fam having a mouthful after a drive-thru at McD's.

- Perforated leather. Seems distinguished and snazzier, little practical benefit other than perhaps a tad cooler. We have Parchment, the Bourdeaux is like a Willy Wonka Chocolate factory explosion, not for everyone, thus discontinued.

- Textured interior trim. The metal trim areas around the shifter have a checkerboard texture versus flat, oooh-ahhh, hold me back, LOL.

- Bigger stabilizer bar. Helps in the twisties supposedly.

- Self leveleing headlights. They don't peek around corners this year but with if you tow at night, could come in handy. If you routinely have that big a load to need them, consider an exercise plan or a second vehicle--wink.

- Although also found on the non-Sport model with a Tech package, the 410 watt Dolby II surround sound stereo rocks. Awesome for stock, bass can be a bit weak but has lots of adjustments and a separate (hidden) subwoofer with it's own adjustments. The demo DVD has some great work to show bennies. The six CD can play 5.1 DVD audio discs if you can find them.

We have an Aspen White Pearl and the fender trim and Sport Sideboards dress it up nicely.

Two 'bugs' in the design that I was going to save for another post other than premium pricetag are:

- The rear tri-zone A/C is off at start-up by default. Doesn't matter if you left it on or not. Can't find a way to override.

- If the radio is soft and then you use the bluetooth, the radio returns to a louder volume than you orignally had it when you hang up. These are the ONLY things this wannabe critic could find wrong anywhere on this fabulous vehicle. There isn't enough space or time to talk about all that's right. No, I'm not a salesman, just a believer... this one's a keeper!!!
  • Options
    ocbuyer1ocbuyer1 Member Posts: 12
    Thanks for detailed explanation. Just a quick question: does the sport package come with Sport Sideboards? or is it an option?
  • Options
    Sport Running Boards are a $700 option installed.
  • Options
    neil10neil10 Member Posts: 3
    Chaps, I bought my 2007 MDX week ago. I am hearing some kind of noise. I believe is coming from the front. I could not really tell whether is coming from the wheel or drive shaft. I hear this within 200 to 500 yards of driving just a one off noise till next time I start the car up again for driving. Wondering any one had this problem at all. Also I am not getting the MPG.I am already onto my 2nd tank of gas. I average 300 miles per tank.
  • Options
    justg0justg0 Member Posts: 70
    The noise that you are referring to is most likely the ABS check. Every (2007) MDX seems to have it and there has been a long discussion about it on one of the other forums. Not a problem.

What is your MPG? I have about 2500 miles on my 07 MDX and have averaged 16.6 MPG so far. A little on the low side, but very acceptable to me as most of my drives are short distances on hilly roads.
  • Options
    msindallasmsindallas Member Posts: 190
    I dont know why the Power liftgate is a part of the Ent. package - I have no use for a 110V supply or a DVD player right now, but would like the power liftgate. For those without the Ent. package, does it take a lot of power to open it? And, for a short person (about 5'2), is it possible to reach the handle/mechanism to close it? Thanks, - MS.
  • Options
    stgreenstgreen Member Posts: 74
    Child #2 on the way and I'm liking what I'm reading about the MDX with a test drive in the next week. Questions

1. Has anyone put THREE child seats across the 2nd row? Just curious.

2. How does the RIDE QUALITY compare of the NON-SPORT model to the SPORT model. I'm not really leaning towards the SPORT model but curious.

3. THE BIG ONE: The nearest Acura dealer is 1 hour away in a direction I really don't travel to. A Honda dealership is right down the street. HOW MUCH AND WHAT TYPE of work can I really get done at the Honda dealership? Has anyone dealt with this before?
    I understand the MDX needs service every 5,000 miles and things do come up even to a Japanese vechicle.

4. Other recent PRO's and CON's ???

thanks

-sg
  • Options
    stgreen,
    1. 3 kids seats in row 2?
    Tight but possible if you have skinny seats and kids. They'll grow up and by the time they'd switch to booster seats it'd be time for a larger vehicle or utilize seating in row 3. Access there can be difficult with row 2 having a carseat unless it's a booster. Might want to consider a larger vehicle...

2. Sport vs. non?
    I drove a Sport/Ent and Tech/Ent (non-sport) and couldn't tell the difference with the Sport in Comfort mode. With the Sport in Sport Mode you feel more bumps but are rewarded with added firmness in turns, see my mash on the gas mid corner experiment earlier. Laden with kids and suburban gear it'd be hard to ever tell the difference as the regular suspension is anything short of a compromise. There are many other reasons I picked the Sport.

3. Acura dealer an hour away?
    So what, your MDX probably won't need service other than maintenance. If it does, you might be able to work out having it picked up by the dealership and returned. Lots of folks do this. One Atlanta dealer touted their policy of picking up vehicles within 100 miles, even for routine service. We bought our Sport/Ent from a dealership 175 miles away {Proctor in Tallahassee, highly recommended!) sight unseen and they delivered it to us free. Acura is a premium brand, expect excellence, you may get it. Our town Acura & Honda dealers are adjacent but they say they don't service each others vehicles. Two Service Managers, two entrances, 1-1/2 shops...hmmmm... so Services A&B are probably done for either. You might consider getting a decked out Pilot or waiting for the MDX design roll-down that typically happens, think RDX & CRV. The fact that Honda has remained silent on this could be a hint it's coming so they aren't 'stuck' with '07 Pilots. I have a friend in Birmingham that builds Pilots, will check and see whussup.

4. Pros - Total package! The MDX isn't perfect but it does do almost everthing darn close, especially the slot car feel when pushed hard in twisties. Stylish, radical (in comparison to previous years), superb handling, comfort, solid road feel, reliability. Sweet stereo (Sport), whistle & bell factory. Lot's of other ego boosting aspects that justify higher payments when we had a perfectly good '04 S-80.
    Cons- MPG, and uses premium only. In 1,100 miles averaging 15, mostly city. If $3+/gal bothers you & your budget today, it surely won't get any better in the coming years. Hard to bargain as premium brand brings premium price. MSRP ours was just over $50K and that's quite a bit for a mid-size SUV for this habitual FL lottery loser. We got 1,800 off sticker and lots of add-ons discounted. Unless you shotgun quotes you won't be able to shop invoice up.
  • Options
    koho955koho955 Member Posts: 97
    No hood vibration at high speeds just loose steering!
  • Options
    neil10neil10 Member Posts: 3
    Thank you for your reply. I am getting 13.3/gallon. Most of my drive is on the highway. Should I be worry about the noise at all? I even took the car to the dealer to check this out, but I couldn’t duplicate the noise there. As soon as I drive out of their car park, started to hear the noise. Also side mirrors are playing up too. It doesn’t come back to the original position after you reverse the car, kind of stops halfway down. How does the side mirrors work? Do both mirrors tilt when you reverse?
  • Options
    upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    I also live an hour away from nearest acura dealership. As davant states, you really shouldn't have major issues with a new acura. Service every 5000 miles? Our '04 has 45,000 on it and has never been serviced (knock on wood). I probably should have one of the major mileage services done, just haven't gotten around to it yet. I did have some major malfunction on an '03 TLS (I think it was both front rotors disintegrating after 8000 miles) It was covered under warranty and repaired at a local honda shop. Acuras costumer service department had to approve it and told me it was a one time deal and any further warranty work had to be done @ a certified acura dealership. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    stgreenstgreen Member Posts: 74
    More and more I'm reading things like "its a japanese car, it doesnt need THAT much service..." etc...

in theory, this seems like a great car with 2 kids with all the electronic toys.

i would love an acura dealer down the street, but alas, its 1+ hour away. I will test drive and determine if its worth it.

thanks for the response.

sg
  • Options
    justg0justg0 Member Posts: 70
    13.3/gallon is low, but will improve as the engine breaks in.

I am not worried at all about the ABS check noise. Since it happens on all the MDXs and has no known effect on the car, I just ignore it.

When you reverse, if you have the mirror selector on the left, then left mirror will tilt, if it on right, then right mirror will tilt. I usually have it in the middle, in which case there is no tilt.
  • Options
    mvd1mvd1 Member Posts: 30
    Is it only me or have others noticed the radio/HVAC display is pretty dim? I have the base MDX without NAV and coming from a 2004 RX350, the center stack display on the MDX is pretty bad in bright sunlight. With the sun directly overhead, the display is almost completely washed-out. The RX350 had a brightness control and the displays shielded from sunlight coming in directly above the windshield. The MDX does have a hood over the clock/day display and that is "OK".

This is my first Acura after driving Infiniti's and Lexus' for 10 years. I was very disappointed with the condition of the MDX at delivery. Cosmetically the Infiniti's and Lexus' were perfect at delivery. On the MDX there is a tear in the driver side door trim panel that looks like someone closed the door on the seat belt. There is very small dent in the upper part of the rear driver's side door. The plastic cover for the spare jack in the rear compartment is missing one of the fasteners that holds the cover in place. The dealer apologized and gave me an IOU for a new door panel and painless dent repair. I must be getting soft since I actually agreed to them fixing the items rather than stopping payment on the check and canceling the deal.

On the positive side, the MDX handles much better than the RX and the engine/trans is much more responsive and refined. Acura needs to get there dealers in line with the other premium Japanese brands. The small stuff means a lot to me when paying $40K for a car. I'm now concerned they will screw-up something else when they replace the inside door trim panel. There are a lot of electrical connections and other trim to damage.
  • Options
    Yes I agree the center graphics are a bit dim and If there is any dust on the glass it is almost impossible to read. I find myself frequently dusting the center stack glass/plastic. Is there anything that will repel the dust from these surfaces?
  • Options
    I know it's strange but try... Endust.
  • Options
    crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    If you use the right child seat, it might be possible to put 3 childseats in the 2nd row:

That's the Sunshine Kids Radian childseats in the 2nd row of a Toyota Sienna. Granted, the Sienna might be a bit wider than the MDX, but it might be doable.
  • Options
    bodazaphabodazapha Member Posts: 4
    Anybody have this problem?

Whenever I get into my car (and I mean everytime) the CD and the DVD eject and then load back in after the 10 sec delay.

Its bizarre. Of course the dealership is stumped.

Car in 3 weeks old.

Thanks.
  • Options
    rblelandrbleland Member Posts: 312
    Static electricity?? Obviously a wild guess.....
  • Options
    No,

I happens with the liftback as well. I have googled the issue and there a few with the same problem. Im not sure im happy or sad it isnt an isolated issue.

Something all new buyers might want to check when at the dealership. (bring your own CD).

thanks
  • Options
    http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27971

After a day of surfing, it seems there is a software glitch that causes this auto ejection.

Quoted on another Forum.
    "Ejecting CD/DVD issue identified!
    My dealership called and just told me that the strange CD/DVD ejecting issue when you unlock your car and open the door has been identified by Acura Techline as an issue needing a software update that they are currently working on.

I was told when it was available they would call and it would take a few minutes.

Mine is a tech/ent. Anyone seen this on another configuration? I drove a base loaner for about a week and did not notice it on that model."
  • Options
    bkaferbkafer Member Posts: 16
    When I looked at the 2007 MDX, they do not have a low transfer case. We have had two MB and we use the low transfer case in deep snow conditions here in Vt. I am concerned as to how the MDX SH-AWD does in deep snow winter conditions. Has anyone been driving theirs this winter in snow and what is their impression. It is a deal maker/breaker for us.

Thanks. :confuse:
  • Options
    manmountainmanmountain Member Posts: 44
    I hope to take delivery of a MDX Elite (here in Canada that's the name for the model with all three options packages) in about 4 to 6 weeks (14 week delivery on a white/parchment Elite). The unit I tested for about an hour back in January in snow proved OK in terms of traction in moderate snow (about 3 inches, wet and slippery). However, our other vehicle is an '06 Yukon XL - enough room for dogs and parents BUT more importantly, we have a house with a very steep laneway and I need its Lo/Lo to ease down into my garage when there is snow on the ground. I don't believe the MDX will be able to do this.
  • Options
    This winter we had two 10"+ snowfalls. The MDX drives great in deep wet or dry snow. It does slip a bit on snow-packed hi-traveled roads with no salt or de-icer. Like all winter driving conditions, you need to be careful.
  • Options
    Yes, this is what I am worried about. Often, we need to use our low transfer range just to get moving out of our driveway. The same in my Silverado. So, I don't know if the MDX can deliver this .
  • Options
    JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    With the proper tires it should do fine in just about any condition. If you regularly see deep show invest in a good set of winter tires, and wheels if you plan to keep the car for at least several years.
  • Options
    kbhaktakbhakta Member Posts: 17
    The stock tires on the MDX, especially, the michilens are absolutely horrible in the snow. So I would definately invest in better tires for deep snow conditions. With bad tires, VSA goes nuts with all the wheel spin, cutting power and the car goes nowhere. Disabling VSA helps out considerably in deep snow conditions. Again, this is with bad for snow tires, I hoping I will never have to turn VSA off with a good set of tires.

On paper the MDX should be excellent in the snow,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SH-AWD

however the tires that come with it do it no justice.
  • Options
    JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    I've purchased a separate set of wheels and winter tires for my last 5 vehicles, including our existing SUV's, a FX45 and RX330. We live in Minnesota and the dedicated winter tires provide an extra margin of safety when conditions take a turn for the worse. I drive the Infiniti and the 2003 model year has a 4 wheel drive lock button that makes a huge difference in deep snow and/or ice. With a good set of winter tires and the lock button, you feel that you can pull away from anything else out there. Since I'm approaching 70,000 miles I'm looking at the MDX as a replacement vehicle, and I can only hope that the winter traction, given the same quality winter tire, is as good as the FX45.

One thing it appears to be better at is towing, since it's rated higher (5,000 vs. 3,500 lbs) and is a bit heavier and wider. My boat weighs approximately 2,600 lbs. so the extra margin should be helpful even though the FX (V8, 315 HP and a bit lighter) is a little more powerful.
  • Options
    Here's an article describing the results of a winter driving event in Quebec.

http://www.thestar.com/Wheels/article/187265

The testing focused more on the handling/stability issues with snow driving, as opposed to getting started from a stop or climbing hills. But the results are worth noting.

Deep snow is a separate issue from driving in slick conditions. Traction in fresh, wet snow really isn't all that bad. The problem there is rolling resistance, and, if it's deep enough, the design of the undercarriage. I doubt the MDX or any other mid-size crossover is going to roll over the top of a snow drift as well as a conventional large SUV.
  • Options
    Tow ratings are tricky.

My 2004 MDX is rated for 3,500 for a box trailer, but 4,500 for any boat. That rating includes 4 occupants and their luggage for a weekend.

The new MDX is rated for 5,000 lbs, but with only 2 occupants and the same gear (roughly 200 lbs).

In EPA standards-speak, 2 occupants weigh a total of 300 lbs. So, the new MDX has only a 200 lbs advantage over the old one when it comes to boat towing. 60% of the gain with the new model comes from fooling with the fine print.

For reference, most other manufacturers publishing their tow ratings with 1 occupant and zero luggage. If you read their fine print, you'll find that you're supposed to reduce your towing capacity by the weight of things like optional roof racks, each passenger, and anything you might have stowed in the glove box.
  • Options
    ty39ty39 Member Posts: 23
    Posts indicate mileage has been less than satisfactory...
    has anyone seen dramatic improvement as the miles add up?
    A salesperson said that I could expect 24 to 26 mpg on the
    the freeway after 5M miles or so...perhaps only a sales pitch!
  • Options
    For a trip where you fill up on the highway, drive 400 miles without leaving the highway, then fill up again... yes, you might see 24-26 mpg.

In mixed driving, expect something more like 18-19 mpg. And, yes, that's about right for this class of vehicle.
  • Options
    Sorry but you will never see 24 to 26 MPG on the highway. I have close to 10,000 miles with 2 oil changes using premium fuel and I'm lucky if I break 20-21 MPG
  • Options
    Thanks very much for that link. The article was helpful. We have owned two M-class Suvs, an 98 their first production year(a real dog) and an 04 that was much improved. We are deciding between a "threepeat" a redesigned 07 or the MDX. We have had to use the low transfer case many times in our driveway which has a moderate grade before we get plowed out and I am worried about ;) not having it in the MDX. Driving in moderate depths on the roads has not been our concern. It is just getting to them from our yard! lol
  • Options
    barb36jack31barb36jack31 Member Posts: 34
    Here's one for the gearhead contingent. The owners manual for the 07 MDX calls for 5W20 oil when changing. My thoughts are that this is awfully thin oil, especially as I live in FL where we get hot weather much of the year. I have used 5W30 oil in my previous Lexus with no problems, but am not comfortable with the 5W20. Comments please!
  • Options
    mdxtimesthreemdxtimesthree Member Posts: 13
    i have a 2004 mdx and the cup holders in the front rattle,how do the new cupholders do as far as noise?
  • Options
    Honda has been using 5w20 in the CR-V and other vehicles for quite a while.
  • Options
    88778877 Member Posts: 5
    I had 04 MDX and I had no noise at all.
    My 07 has no noise, and they are nice. (nicer placed) Thanks
  • Options
    Anyone have the front and/or rear lower garnish for the '07 MDX or just seen them and care to share their opinion?

$700 installed for both is rather steep but it made the black demo appear finished and classier. The vehicle is angular and sporty looking as is. The front garnish oval opening looks like a Cyclops nostril, sniffing the road for the pointy nose and battering ram grille. Maybe Acura should offer Viking horns on the roof to match? In practical terms, the garnish also offers protection for delicate cooler fins that could be subject to road debris damage (so far not a problem like the '05/'06 Odyssey A/C units). This coping mechanism of justifying a purchase is called ‘irrationalization’, i.e. – realizing it’s just for aesthetics but pretending it does something useful... making it an easy sell to Mrs. MDX'er.

What about the always important back view (of the MDX)? The rear garnish fills in a gap between the pipes that would make me check the parts list and crate for leftovers had I assembled the MDX myself; something is definitely missing from the carved out area without it. Most MDX owners are probably like me, won't notice or could care less (until they saw one with the garnish) but Acura is smart. Yuppies that spend $45K+ (Sport/Ent here) for a mid-size SUV are more apt to finish it off, dress it up, make it distinctive versus cookie cutter, etc. Ours won't be overdressed having Sport Sideboards (the best integrated look IMNSHO), fender well garnish, and auto-dim mirror w/compass (should be standard equipment), and matching fake wood shifter (who wants to touch leather?). Having nothing on the roof keeps the lines clean but rules out weekend camping for four.

Going the H&A route and installing these myself seems doable but I've wary of dropping bumpers and screwing into parts that'd leave visible holes should I remove the mods. Both of these are made of brushed aluminum and should hold up well. There, I just did it again, LOL.

P.S. - Our cupholders aren't noisy and if they were I’d try a little 2W30 off the dipstick.

P.S.S. - (for host benefit) I posed this here as the Accessories forum is quite dusty.
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I posed this here as the Accessories forum is quite dusty.

It would be less dusty if people posted there (hint hint!) :)

Oh, wait, someone posted just today - here's your chance!

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • Options
    mdxtimesthreemdxtimesthree Member Posts: 13
    is the 07 quieter than previous mdx"s? a more solid ride?
    my lease on my 04 is up in a few months and from what i read
    the new 07 is far superior,i'm going for a test ride in a few weeks.

thanks
  • Options
    itsme007itsme007 Member Posts: 3
    I know the manual says 600 miles for brake-in the engine. I am planning to take a trip. I have about 400 stop and go traffic miles and broke 3000 rpm once or twice but did not go over 4000 rpm. Does anyone know, if 400 miles would be enough to take MDX for a long trip or should I follow the manual and wait? Any other advise/suggestion is much appreciated.

Thanks
  • Options
    my3rdrxmy3rdrx Member Posts: 167
    According to the CarTalk guys, the newer vehicles don't really need to have such a long break-in period any more. I bought my MDX in Orlando back in October and drove it back to Virginia on a 800-mile trip overnight and have had no problems ~ it's already got 9100 miles on it!
  • Options
    Heaven forbid something should happen to the engine on your trip before you hit 600 miles, there could be warranty issues. For me, I waited to mash the gas pedal until I had over 800 miles on it. Wait till you mash it though, you'll know where the 300 horses are hiding.
  • Options
    jdoe2jdoe2 Member Posts: 6
    Purchsed 07 MDX Sport/Ent/Tech about 4 wekks ago. We love it. Much inproved from the previous years. Aside from the little problem below, the MDX has exceede my expectations. I will write more once I have put more miles on it.

For now have one question:

I have noticed an foul odor coming from the ventilation system each time I use the windshield wiper fluid spray. Has anyone else noticed this problem?? An way to fix it??
    :confuse:
This discussion has been closed.