2024 Chevy Blazer EV lease from Bayway Auto Group Click here

2024 Jeep Grand Cherokee lease from Mark Dodge Click here

2025 Ram 1500 Factory Order Discounts from Mark Dodge Click here
Options

Acura MDX 2007

Comments

• Options
    bkaferbkafer Member Posts: 16
    We have the "USA" model and the compass came as included in the rear view mirror upgrade.
  • Options
    manmountainmanmountain Member Posts: 44
    Ah...I did not know that. I did know that the US base model didn't include the self-dimming mirror (just plain weird) and it would be good if the compass was in the Canadian model mirror...but I don't think it is. I have a feeling it shows on the display with the climate control information and the time display. But you can't tell that from the manual, which by the way, doesn't tell you how to link the key remotes with the keyless memory system in the vehicle (you press both the lock and unlock buttons simultaneously - as I learned through experimenting).
  • Options
    jpattersonjpatterson Member Posts: 1
    Have you had any other feed back on this question? I just got a 2007 with the 19" for my wife and we are having the same issue. It is very upsetting. We paid well over $3,500 for them and they have had our car in 3 times now to fix the problem and can't seem to get it fixed.
  • Options
    tkp013tkp013 Member Posts: 3
    Yeah, there was feedback on the question, I had posted earlier. I had mentioned maybe it's the tires you're installing? I installed 19" Hankook performance summer tires on my canadian base model MDX, and it looks great, performs great, no problems or pulling it all. The dealer just dynamic balanced the tires and no alignment was even needed. Hankook was rated the number one tire in German tests of tires, thats why I chose to put those on. Not sure what kind of tires you are using, but, there is hope for the 19" sport package.
  • Options
    Well, the mystery about the compass is pretty simple...although not if you rely on the manual for directions. The compass only shows on non-navi models, the theory being (according to Acura) that the navi system lets you know which direction you're heading. Maybe BUT not if the system isn't on and not so simple as looking at the rearview mirror, which in my Yukon also tells me and everyone else in the vehicle what the outside temp is (another simple detail that Acura misses with each new model).
  • Options
    cheapskate21cheapskate21 Member Posts: 49
    Hey msindallas, i am in Seattle suburb area. I see 07 MDX at least once every other day. I am not even commuting far. I think just certain people in certain area prefer certain cars. Maybe Acura is not that well-known / well-accepted for "Dallasians" (<<--- wonder if this is a word).
  • Options
    msindallasmsindallas Member Posts: 190
    Hey msindallas, i am in Seattle suburb area. I see 07 MDX at least once every other day. I am not even commuting far. I think just certain people in certain area prefer certain cars. Maybe Acura is not that well-known / well-accepted for "Dallasians" (<<--- wonder if this is a word).</i>

Hello cheapskate, how is the car shopping going? Good to hear from you. Btw, the word is Dallasites. :) Well wishes, - MS.
  • Options
    inthemarket3inthemarket3 Member Posts: 8
    What are opinions on MDX Sport vs MDX Tech? Does Sport warrant extra $2100 in MSRP? My only opinion so far is that I prefer the perforated leather seats - but are they worth extra $$$.
  • Options
    dms9dms9 Member Posts: 137
    You have to get the sport, it has the magnetic shocks which greatly improve the handling of the vehicle. I was trying to get a sport without the nav system, but they don't make it. Enjoy.
  • Options
    upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    I like being able to press a button and knowing that my SUV handles like my old TL( if not better). When I'm not in "sport mode", (wife and one year old), "comfort mode" is similar to the ride of '04 MDX. If you have the extra green, it is well worth the cost.
  • Options
    davantdavant Member Posts: 294
    For $2,100 the Sport gives you much more than what's been identified thus far so here's my rendition/recollection.

Active shocks - Shock oil viscosity is changed by varying current in magnets at perforations in each shock absorber. The fluid has ferrous particles suspended so it becomes thicker or thinner with electrical input thus controlling dampening. So what? Every .2 seconds, each shocks performance is individually adjusted to maintain stability. This system is interactive with SH-AWD and anti-lock so MDX handling is somewhat predictive versus reactive like on the XC-90, X-5, and Cayenne, Q-6 too. For instance, as you go around a corner the outside shock stiffens to support the added weight and forces. At the same time, SH-AWD applies more torque to the outside wheel, pushing the MDX out of a corner. If any wheel starts to lose traction then power, braking, and shock stiffness can be instantly controlled to maintain track. Both the Sport and non-Sport offer a great ride as you may already know. The non-Sport is supposedly tuned close to the Comfort mode of Sport. Having the Sport/Comfort mode flexibility and being able to tell without looking what mode you're in is tricky at first as the changes are subtle in regular driving. Pressed hard, they become more apparent without consulting the genie in the green light. Sport and Comfort are just two pre-defined settings with different degrees of control and are best contrasted in slalom and washboard performance.

Beefier stabilizer bars - Sport has them, perhaps to handle the slightly higher G-forces we'd like to think can be generated in Sport mode. Truth may be it&#146;s more of a marketing tool than a design requirement, who can tell?

Perforated Seats and textured shifter trim - There is a slight cross-hatch grid pattern in the matte surface around the shifter, no biggie. The holey seats might be a bit cooler in summer and seem to mask occupant emissions better than contiguous leather. Along those lines, both front windows offer one touch up and down on all MDX's.

Rear seat heat - We're in FL so this wasn't a big one but passengers with frigid bottoms will appreciate it. Come to think of it, I wonder how my ex is doing these days.

Killer Surround - This is part of the Ent, plays DVD-A (incredible demo disc included). Not perfect but better than 90% of top end stock systems. No need to go to a drive in, you have one in the back seat, better sound than in most homes too.

Awesome rims - Sweet rich Titanium look, easy to clean, uniquely Sport.

Power hatch, rear cam, lacks the proximity sensors of our Ody Touring, not sure why.

115VAC - I can't remember if all MDX's have this but it sure is convenient, located inside split folding center console.

All said, the Sport w/Ent has much more than at first blush.

Disclaimer - No, I don&#146;t work for Acura or sell cars, just a satisfied enthused customer.
  • Options
    scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    occupant emissions :confuse: :P
  • Options
    inthemarket3inthemarket3 Member Posts: 8
    Any thoughts on gas type (87, 89, 91) that needs to be used in new MDX. Have heard some cars "recommend" high octane and some cars "require" high octane. From all I've heard, MDX "requires" it. Thoughts? I was always believer of sticking with one grade, even if cheapest.
  • Options
    habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    "The holey seats might be a bit cooler in summer and seem to mask occupant emissions better than contiguous leather."

I think I'd prefer a surface that repels, rather than holds, occupant emissions. Better yet, I prefer occupants that are more discreet on where they emit. :P
  • Options
    habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    Ah, yes, another round of "can I run my $45,000 MDX/TL/BMW/Lexus... on regular gas that costs 25 cents a gallon less than premium?".

I suspect Forest Gump's mother doesn't even know what octane is, but she has a pretty good characterization of such a move.

My wife saw a "Nightline" or some such news report a few nights ago in which they addressed this "penny wise dollar foolish" thinking. A few supposedly credible sources, including the famous Click and Clack brothers have been saying it's O.K. to put regular in high compression engines, because the computer will sense it and retard the timing so as not to cause "knocking". Great. Retards advocating retardation.

Paraphrasing the Nightline story, if you want to think you are saving a few bucks at the pump by putting low octane gas in an MDX or other high compression engine, just be prepared to do so more often, as the fuel efficiency will drop. And that peppy test drive at the dealership will seem a bit less peppy in your car. And, eventually, you might have the kind of long term engine problems that the mechanics interviewed by Nightline identified.

There is a Acura/Honda solution for $4.00 gas. It's called a Pilot. Saves about $15,000+ and runs on regular.
  • Options
    Good points Habi-1,

An MDX will run well on 91 octane so technically instead of 87 you could fill up part of the way with 89, stop and switch to 93, saving a few cents and feel like an idiot without actually being one. This should not damage your engine, wallet, or brain (unless you inhale).

One alternative is to wait for the Honda 2008 model year. Honda is redesigning their largest SUV into something that might be based on the MDX, less aggresive on the eyes and bank account (read as boring). Rumor has it instead of a gas/electric hybrid version, they'll introduce one that runs on natural gas version called... (drum roll please)... Pilot Light! It is capable of using alternate fuels too but now we've drifted (PU) into occupant emissions again.

I'll never buy a Pilot Light and would choose diesel as it smells better.

I for one prefer the petroleum distillate version (gasoline) MDX and to use Premium-nano-fuel (currently $8/gallon and you can't have any) that has technology to briefly form little green clouds behind me shaped like dollar signs. Maybe it was just the expensive spicy food?
  • Options
    So, what did I buy, the nimbus grey, ebony (black) interior, Sport package . . . I love that magnetic ride.
  • Options
    cable23cable23 Member Posts: 48
    Hello: I've been searching around for some time and I can't seem to find an interior console photo of a 2007 mdx base model without navigation. I assume it looks a lot different w/o the navigation (since there's no screen anymore). Can anyone point me to or provide me with some pictures? - Thanks!

BTW, this site has been a lot of help so far in researching this car. thanks!
  • Options
    I am having a lot of trouble reading the grey on grey numbers in the LCD console that has the temp/radio station/etc. right above all the buttons, not the Nav screen. Is there any way to increase the contrast? Is it supposed to be backlit (my wife's Odessey is)? Is anyone else having this problem? I can't imagine it is the way they designed it.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    Yes, we are experiencing the same problem. It is IMPOSSIBLE to read under MOST daytime situations. You can adjust the briteness on the other dials, but not this unit. Kinda stupid design. :confuse:
  • Options
    Keeping the dust off it is about the best you can do...
  • Options
    mvd1mvd1 Member Posts: 30
    I posted this same question some time back. I have the base MDX without NAV and coming from a 2004 RX330, the center stack display on the MDX is pretty bad in bright sunlight. With the sun directly overhead, the display is almost completely washed-out. The RX330 had a brightness control and the HVAC displays shielded from sunlight coming in directly above the displays. The Lexus also uses black letter/numbers on a light green background, which are much easier to read. I drove a TL service loaner and the HVAC display was just as bad as the MDX's. I consider this a major Acura engineering screw-up on a very basic design requirement - being able to read the HVAC/radio display in all light conditions. To bad I test drove the MDX towards evening and didn't notice the display problem. Should have bought a RX350.
  • Options
    cable23cable23 Member Posts: 48
    MVD1:

Since you have a base mdx w/o nav. Do you, by any chance, have a pic of the center console. I wanted to see what it looks like w/o the nav screen setup.

Thanks!
  • Options
    cable23

Yes, I have a picture of the center console, but don't see a way to post it on this forum. It's a JPG file. Do you know how?
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The easiest way is to go to your CarSpace page and upload the photo into an album there. Then you can link to it or embed it in a post using the handy html cut and paste boxes under the photo that you upload there.
  • Options
    Steve, Thanks for the help. Here's the link to the MDX center console photo (no Nav) in my CarSpace page.

http://www.carspace.com/mvd1/Albums/mvd1's Album/IMGP0131.JPG/page/photo.html#pic
  • Options
    autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    Pardon me if this has already been said

The folks at acura must really be paying attention to some posts from the people somewhere! I checked Acura's website yesterday and I noticed that they added Bordeaux[Bar*DOE] back to the interiors colors sheet!! If only they put it in the other models. I wish acura had brown seats like in the BMW 5. I think it is teracotta or montana... I would feint if I could have a Green MDX with brown. Heck, i would feint if i could have an MDX :P ... Come to think of it, i wish acura could let bordeaux be available with other colors!

As a sidenote, they extended the lifespan of my favorite color for the TSX(Deep Green Pearl)!

-Cj :shades: :D
  • Options
    I hope they are paying attention, because even tho we like our new ( and first) Acura MDX, there are issues that need to be addressed. Inparticular, the Acuralink phone system require too many "touches" to place calls. Since the controls are on the steering wheel, you get all "wrapped up" trying to navigate the turns in the road and the calling needs. I have asked if there is a way to set your most used tel#'s to the radio preset buttons. We are able to do that on our new Toyota ( as well on our last two Benzes). This is a big help as we only need two touches to make a call and the second touch is not on the wheel. I wish other Acura drivers would ask the same question. Does anyone have another suggestion?

Bud
  • Options
    my3rdrxmy3rdrx Member Posts: 167
    Actually all you have to do is to use the voice-activation to make calls ~ one touch to activate it and one touch to confirm it!
  • Options
    Well, we sure have not reached a level of expertise to make a call in two steps. Generally, we find that we need to 1. activate the system, 2. recite a name 3. confirm the name.... however, we most often cannot 1. get the system to understand the name ( so there are many "repeats" or 2. ask for the phonebook as WE cannot remember all the names stored. I did get an answer back from Acuralink saying there is no way to store on the radio preset. That IS a huge advantage which we have on our Toyota and two previous MB'S. When I press the radio preset, it responds with verbally stating the name tag I gave it initially and the radio read out displays the #. So, we are bummed with this fact. When we were buying/comparing (BMW,MB, etc) our sales man did not understand the system well and we learned about after the sale. Thank for your reply.
  • Options
    I guess it is more complicated to use the phone book function, I hit the phone button once, say call, then again for the number. OK if you know most of the phone #'s.
  • Options
    When the new MDX came out in Canada, it was only available with a black interior, even though in the US it was available with 4 colors. I told my dealer (who've I've bought 3 Acuras from) that black was a 'dealbreaker' for me and within five weeks, Canadian buyers were offered the parchment. The dealer says he passed my opinion along but that is all he says. Nonetheless, it seems clear that opinions from buyers do generate a response from Acura. I tried some years back in Australia to buy a 'top of the line' Camry WITHOUT the standard wing (of all things) and the message was - take it or leave it. So I left it and Toyota has never got a look into any purchasing decision I've made about autos since - not that they'd get my business based on their product anyway - well, maybe a LS430.
  • Options
    winston03winston03 Member Posts: 20
    Has anyone installed an overhead dvd player on their mdx? I'm looking for some suggestions as to which brand to buy. I played around on Best Buy and Circuit Citys Website which allowed you to enter your vehicle information to see if the overhead dvd player is compatible. I don't think any of them matched up. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
  • Options
    not sure about your location but i find that the best place to go to is brandsmart. Also flea markets do really good jobs with installation and offer better warrantys at better prices than big stores!!

At brands mart, we saw a 10" [i forgot the brand...] that included lights, a DVD player, remote and 2 wireless headphones for $1200 out the door for an expedition. This included uninstalling the broken factory unit, installing this unit and labor fees.

The fleamarket charged us $800 to do the same thing but it was a 12" and it would only take 45minutes.

Moral of the story, try going to places as sometimes they really give better deals than the internet. Just be sure you don't look at everything thats tempting...
    [Shopaholics Unanimous :blush: ]
    -Cj
  • Options
    Maybe on one cool free evening you should just sit in the MDX and practice.

Do you have a motorolla phone? Most offer a "VOICE" feature that allows you to make calls by saying the name or number. We purchased a V323i and consider it to be great practice. It even understands complicated things like "Chicken Kitchen", "Carlos Seafood", and "Hooks Chicken and Fish".

-Cj :surprise: Now I'm hungry... :blush:
  • Options
    krod2k7krod2k7 Member Posts: 3
    Princeton Area dealer offering

Formal Black w/Ebony Interior

MSRP: $46,365 (including destination)
    Sale Price: $44,000 (including destination)
    Doc Fees: $169
    Taxes: NJ at 7%

Not too happy with the price. Anyone have a better price in this area?
  • Options
    You have 4 choices at this point.

1, Check acuras website and do the build and price with "options" to see if the price is close to what it should be.

2, While at acura's website, click the locate a dealer and look at each dealers inventory.

3,Visit Autotrader.com and see if they have any closer deals in your area.

4, Carmax?

That price IMO seems reasonable. By price, I'm guessing you have the technology and maybe entertainment package with the DVD and power hatch and few random options like a wind deflector and running boards.

I love the MDX but i don't like the pricing. IMO the 2004-2006 MDX was a better value in terms of pricing and content. I don't care about all the sport the MDX can provide, I think its what make it cost extra $$!!

-Cj
  • Options
    howardxhowardx Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I am buying an MDX with Navigation in US. I'll be crossing the border (Toronto/Montreal) quite often. But found that the US navigation map has very poor coverage in Canada. Is the Canadian MDX using the same navigation DVD as the US? If not, where can I get a Canadian version DVD? Thanks!
  • Options
    I know that the RL has a canadian and hawaiian/alaskan option for the Nav. Just because acura doesn't say, i'm guessing it uses the same map as the US version.

Check www.acura.ca (acura canada), they might have more information on that subject.

-Cj
  • Options
    herniahernia Member Posts: 1
    Just brought home a new mdx in silver/black interior. Spouse noticed that lower lights are always on, presumably the daytime running lights...Is there a way to turn these off when driving during the day?
  • Options
    I don't know if you can. My old Saab allowed you to pull the fuse and they would then go on and off with a switch, but I don't know if Acura can do that. You probably want to leave them. #1, they look cool. #2, call you insurance company, tell them you have DRL and your rates will likely go down. It is usually a discount saftey item.
  • Options
    gerry_fangerry_fan Member Posts: 2
    I have 2007 MDX only 2000 miles. Recently I noticed
    each time when the car got started each morning, right after the engine started, a "Bong" sound was heard. There
    can be repeated several times. Afterwards, when the engine got started again, there was no such sound. Has any one
    had such experience?
    Appreciate very much for your comments.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A bong sound? Sure you aren't driving a Ford?

sorry, couldn't resist...

Sounds like something expanding or flexing as it warms up; might be a bit of a struggle trying to narrow it down, unless someone recognizes the symptom.
  • Options
    golfgod2golfgod2 Member Posts: 53
    We've just leased an '07 Base MDX after turning in our '03. Very happy. Huge improvement. Sporty and fun to drive. My question with bluetooth is can we dial a number directly from the phone and have it run through bluetooth system. Right now if we dial directly from the phone, it doesn't connect with bluetooth, whereas if we voicedial or enter a phone number into the phonebook bluetooth works. Because we have a non-nav model, we can upload our phonebook from our cell phone to the vehicle so we would have to enter each number manually which is a pain. thus, we'd like to be able to just dial/speed dial from our cell phones, but as I said, it doesn't end up gong through bluetooth.

One other question, i called my wife in the mdx yesterday and for some reason it didn't connect via bluetooth. Is there a way to activate the bluetooth system on the fly, mid conversation?

I have an Infinit M35 and thus far the infiniti bluetooth system seems easier to use.
  • Options
    Well, we bought our first Acura a couple months ago. It is a MDX with bluetooth. Our system connects immediately after entering ( both my wife and I have our phones listed). We have found that our phones ring, but we choose to answer thru the MDX. We can "hang up" our call from the cell phone and it picks up on the MDX. But, we think Acura can do better in the future. There is a lot of hassle making calls....too many touches on the wheel. In our Toyota, we can list prime #'s :D on our radio presets and that makes the outgoing calls so much easier...... But there is a lot to love about our MDX.
  • Options
    We love our Sport/Ent '07 too. Here's how you get from phone to Bluetooth although I don't see why you'd want to dial this way when you can voice-tag contacts or say 'call 123-456-7890', then say yes, call, or dial when it reads it back to you. For contacts, try using voicetags with longer or unique sounding names as mom and home sound alike. Anyway:

1) Dial the number from your phone.

2) Once connected in the call via the phone itself, (assuming the vehicle is running or ign is on) touch the upper phone button on the wheel momentarily and say the word TRANSFER.

3) Bluetooth takes over the call on speakerphone.

4) To transfer back to the phone (if you are about to shut off the vehicle but still want to talk) press this same button and say TRANSFER and the call goes back to your phone.

If you mess up and press the lower phone button (upper set w/Ent)and expect to speak, you can't as that hangs up the phone. If you really mess up and hit the upper steering wheel buttons on the lower Nav system it waits for a command, then pauses and says PARDON right in the middle of your call.

After shutting off the vehicle you can then turn on an earbud Bluetooth device that has been paired with your phone previously and rove hands free once more, I do this all the time. The key is not to have two BT devices trying to use the phone at once or it may or may not get confused and activate a call with the unintended device. Note that the indicator on the radio shows status with a headphones icon.

Note also that the MDX gives you a few seconds grace period after turning off the key to say bye, transfer, whatever, before ending the call when using the speakerphone.

My gripe is there are two systems, Navi and Phone Book that aren't integrated. The call function using Navi POI's works great if the phone number on file is correct, excellent for meal reservations, established businesses, etc. Not so good for 'what was the name of that new place where _______ used to be.'

MDX=Marvelous Driving EXcellence!
  • Options
    Very helpful, thank you.

How do you dial with the Nav system??
  • Options
    golfgod2golfgod2 Member Posts: 53
    Davant, It worked! That's huge! Thanks a lot. I was really bumming about this before you gave me the solution. FYI, we have a lot of phone numbers programmed into our phones and don't actually remember the numbers. It's inconvenient to program each number individually in the phone book and invconvenient to look up each number and then voicedial each time. this is what I was looking for. Thanks again! We don't have Navi (I'm sure I'll regret it) but really added a lot to the payment and the car would have been out of reach.
  • Options
    tconnortconnor Member Posts: 1
    I see the 2008 RDX is out. Does anyone know when the 2008 MDX is comming?
  • Options
    kayla44kayla44 Member Posts: 1
    Does any one know how to reset oil life % to zero on a 2007 MDX?
    thanks Steve
This discussion has been closed.