Options

Extended Warranties

Comments

• Options
    neurisneuris Member Posts: 8
    hey guys. I searched several facts about GMPP, especially gmoulet (PA). However, there are several things which I am confused.

First thing is, how do they verify my current mileage? do I need to notarize it?

Other things might be silly, but when I need to replace a battery or tires (those are not covered by major guard), do they cover labor fee? if I buy a new battery / tires from online or something like other sources (because their stock is more expensive) and bring them.

What about basic care like oil change, inspection of exhaused parts? They didn't mention it.
  • Options
    bremertongbremertong Member Posts: 436
    I just sold a used car with an extended warranty. The extended warranty never went in to effect in that I traded the car before the original warranty expired. In that the dealer that sold me the extended warranty with the car just traded did not sell me the replacement car he is not showing much interest in helping me get the prorated portion of the refund. Have others at this forum had this problem and what is the best and most hassle free way to get my refund?
  • Options
    mitzijmitzij Member Posts: 613
    First thing is, how do they verify my current mileage? do I need to notarize it?
    *I believe they just take your word for it, though they may have you sign an 'odometer disclosure' statement.

Other things might be silly, but when I need to replace a battery or tires (those are not covered by major guard), do they cover labor fee? if I buy a new battery / tires from online or something like other sources (because their stock is more expensive) and bring them.
    *No, if a part is not covered, neither is the labor. They will also not cover repairs done with aftermarket parts. You will need to have all covered repairs done at a GM-approved facility.

What about basic care like oil change, inspection of exhaust parts? They didn't mention it.
    *Maintenance and inspections are excluded.
    Be sure to read the contract thoroughly before you buy it.
  • Options
    joel0622joel0622 Member Posts: 3,299
    In that the dealer that sold me the extended warranty with the car just traded did not sell me the replacement car he is not showing much interest in helping me get the prorated portion of the refund

Its not that he is not interested, it is that they can't. The selling dealer of the service contract is the administrator for it. You have to go through them. Take them a copy of the odometer statement from when you traded it and proof that the loan is payed off if there was one. They will handle the refund for you.
  • Options
    Thank you so much, mitzij. it is very helpful. have a nice day :)
  • Options
    zscottiezscottie Member Posts: 23
    Wondering if anyone has or has checked out AutoWarrantyBroker.com, and has compared it to their manufacturer's extended warranty policies. I'd love to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly on this company. A friend of mine recommended them, and talked to them yesterday...and got the sales spheel. Haven't bought anything yet. Thanks! :D
  • Options
    The more I researched extended warranty, the more I become skeptical. I'm really confused whether ext warranty is useful. Personally, I place an emphasis on pre-protection something like regular inspection, routine check up. I know it's case by case and depending on their situation, financial things and so on.

Even if I buy ext warranty, I still pay for some basic care about buying oil, filter, or replace tires, a battery, brake pads or drum something like that.

Those cost might be various. just wild calculate it, changing oil/filter twice a year might be $30-50 and for 5 years it costs $300-500. Other things might cost $1500-3000/5 years. It means I'll pay $2000-3000 /5years and if I bought ext warranty (GMPP major guard might be $1000-1200), total cost might be $3000-4000/5years.

omg... what's point? If pre-protection could totally prevent any high-cost mechanical problem, I'd not buy ext warranty. But who knows? that's a dilemma. Can I trust my vehicle performance? (well, it's saturn ion 2004). I need further to research.

if any suggestions, drop the line :confuse:
  • Options
    bmwdriver4bmwdriver4 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2003 BMW 325i, which came with the 4-year, complete warranty. It was great, I never paid for a service, or any of the minor things I had fixed. Has anyone out there extended their warranty on this type of vehicle and if so, would you please pass along what you learned from the process...
  • Options
    pianewmanpianewman Member Posts: 8
    I just purchased a Toyota Camry Hybrid, and purchased the extended warranty ($1495), $0 deductible, for 7 years, 100k.
    I just found out that my insurance policy (Geico) includes a "mechanical breakdown" warranty for 7 years, 100k, with a $250 dedutible, for $56/year.
    I've never heard of an insurance company offering this. Is it legit? Does anyone have experience with this?
    Thanks
  • Options
    dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    Like Joel said, you have the sale paperwork and (hopefully) a copy of the odometer statement? Get that to the warranty company and cancel the plan for your refund. If you financed the warranty, then refund will go back to the bank and then on to you - or you could (and should) get a note from the bank that the loan is paid off and include that with your paperwork, then the refund should come back to you direct.

Dennis
  • Options
    I could compare the costs of what they offer VS a factory backed plan (if available). The risk VS reward is going to favor the factory backed plan, IMHO. I personally would not spend a dime on a 3rd party warranty company. There can be hassles with who works on the car, when and where and what they do, the parts they use, etc. Then the biggie is: will they be around when you need them?

Either get factory backed or nothing, I think.

Dennis
  • Options
    The extended warranty, or "service plan" just covers some things after the basic warranty expires. It may cover something like car rental during the basic warranty. Not everything is covered - not nearly as much as a the "bumper to bumper" new car warranty. No "adjustments" are covered - no squeak, rattle, noise type things. Read the policy carefully and see what is excluded and if what is left is worth the cost.

Almost none of these plans covers routine maintainence on the car. You are correct, getting the oil changed regularly and following the manufactures suggested service (as in your owner's manual) is the best thing to prevent failures.

All that said, if you are planning on keeping the car long-term a factory backed warranty (GMPP?) is something to think about. High labor and parts costs mean about anything will be expensive to repair. You just have to look at the coverage and the cost and decide if it is right for you or not. Some folks just like the peace of mind they get - even if they "lose money" on the coverage. For sure, if you decide to buy hunt around online for the best price - and only get something factory backed.

The 04 Ion is only "good", so says CR. Strange that the 03 is only "fair" while the 05 is "poor". So your 04 is right in the middle of those years and does a bit better. Body Integrity, Suspension, and Electrical System are shown as the trouble spots. Of those, the first 2 are not likely to be covered under an extended warranty.

Dennis
  • Options
    dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    Yes it is legit but check the coverage very carefully. It may not be as comprehensive as the Toyota extended warranty.
  • Options
    GEICO requires prior approval before work can be started and any claim over $750 must first have an inspector come to the shop and OK the work. At least that is what I have seen. We had one in are shop that took 5 days for the inspector to come in and look at who proceeded to deny 60% of it. What do you expect for $56 a year?
  • Options
    I have had 2 BMWs. The dealership treated me "like a king" in all cases. Oil changes were really high (BMW synthetic) but I got a nice 3 series or Z series loaner each time - just for an oil change. Maintenance IS no cost, but with the BMW service monitor you will not be getting your "free" oil change until 12-15k miles! I had mine changed more often - so I paid.

Out of warranty, they can be a very expensive nightmare. Even if you go non-dealer the parts will eat you up.

Other than CPO BMW has no factory backed extended warranty plan. So you are stuck with whatever your local dealer will sell you (and hopefully stand behind) or nothing.

Your E46 3 series is about as good as it gets for BMW in terms of reliability. That is the 5th year of that design and most of the kinks were worked out. If you plan on keeping and driving it, I would just sock away some money each month for the repairs down the road - but it is a lot less risk than a 5 series or 7 series.

Dennis
  • Options
    I know a lot of folks that had nothing but headaches when they had to file insurance claims with GEICO. Sure they have a low price, and that is good as long as you do not need them. They also will non-renew folks that have a claim against them - pretty aggressively. I have not been desperate enough to save money to try them for myself on either the cars or the bikes.

To depend on them to pay up for breakdowns would be scary for me as well. I guess the high $250 deductible is what makes the cheap price possible.

Dennis
  • Options
    One of my favorite 'lil ole lady' customers came in for her semi-annual battery recharge. She has about 6k miles, the car is about 2 1/2 years old. She showed me the 'extended warranty' she bought: 6 years, 60k miles, named component coverage, from that crap-o company that sends random postcards reading 'Warranty Alert!! Call Now For Important Information Regarding Your Warranty!'.

The kicker? They socked it, I mean sold it, to her for $1518.00. :mad:
    AAAARRRGGGHHH!!
    I wish she'd called me last August when she received that postcard, I could have showed her where to 'file it'.
    She needs a service contract like a hole-in-her-head. She drives very little, has had few troubles with the car, her Warranty expires in the fall, and chances are good that my SM would take care of any trouble she has after that, for as long as he can. He has a soft spot for lil ole ladies. :P
  • Options
    jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    Give your SM a big kiss for me... handshake if a man.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • Options
    :blush:
  • Options
    thanks for good comments, dennnis. have a good day :)
  • Options
    ricobilkoricobilko Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2002 Chevy Silverado. I bought the truck with 20000 miles in it. I didn't but the GM warranty. I bought an extended warranty from Warranty Direct. They are located in New York. The sales pitch sounded like it was the best thing to do. You can take the vehicle to the garage of your and W D will pay them with their corp. credit card. Well, low and behold, the universal joints had worn out last May. I brought the truck to the garage of my choice. From the start, I could see that the mechanic did not care for the warranty company. Later, the mechanic called me and said that Warranty Direct had refused to pay for the repair. They claimed that the part wore out because of water. Water is the trump card for this warranty (insurance) company. It took me two days of arguing what caused the u-joint to wear out and they finally agreed to pay for work. Of course I threatened to cancel the policy. Now the silverado transmission has failed. Warranty Direct said that the trans. had to be torn down to find the cause of failure. Well guess what? The transmission shop found water in the bottom of the tranny. Nobody can tell me how water gets into the transmission. I don't haul a boat or go through rivers or lakes. Warranty Direct denied the claim saying water cuased the failure. They would not even talk to me!!!
    I paid $1500.00 for this worthless insurance policy, because when you think about this, your vehicle gets wet every time it rains or you wash yout car. WARRANTY VOID. WASTE OF MONEY. The transmission cost me $2600.00. Thank you Warranty Direct!!!!
  • Options
    thanks for sharing very helpful info...
  • Options
    thanks for the feedback, its much appreciated. One of the options dealers offer (at least in my area) is a 2-year service warranty for about $1000, but this only covers routine oil change-like services.
  • Options
    Before you pluck down your hard earned money and by a extended warranty from Warranty Direct, ask the sales person about water and your parts on the car that wear out. If this person tells you that your repair bill will be paid no matter what the cause, he is lieing to you and they will RIP YOU OFF!!!!! Once they get your money, it is all over for you. Guaranteed!
  • Options
    With most of these warranty companies or insurance companies, all they say that is covered, will be covered as long as you keep tour vehicle in the garage. As soon as it rains or you wash your car, the water will void the coverage on any part that breaks or wears out. The salesman at WARRANTY DIRECT told me everything is covered no matter what. Well guess what? The car is outside exposed to rain,snow,sleet and ice. These are the elements that caused the breakdown. WARRANTY DIRECT will not--NOT pay for it. Don't buy from WARRANTY DIRECT..
  • Options
    audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    Take a different perspective. Consider things from a financial angle. If you can write a check for a $2000 repair any anytime without financial hardship then perhaps you should take your chances and self insure. If an unexpected repair bill would kibosh your summer vacation plans then seriously consider the factory backed warranty.
  • Options
    deblyn52deblyn52 Member Posts: 11
    I have a problem - please someone help.
    Here I go - I purchased an extended warranty and never used it. I have all the documentation along with the signature from dealer and myself to get my money back if I do not use it, which I have not. It is 7 yr. or 100,000 mile.
    Now, I go to the dealer to get what is called " Guaranteed Price Refund". Dealer/Finance Manager both said good luck. API went bankrupted and your not getting any money at all.
    I have a Honda CRV 2000 - love my car.
    What can I do? Please help.
  • Options
    mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    What can you do? Not a darn thing. Same thing happened to me and others here with the Warranty Gold fiasco. When they go bankrupt, chalk it up to one of life's lessons learned. Next time you look for an ext warranty, only get one backed by the manufacturer.
  • Options
    gasman1gasman1 Member Posts: 321
    I totally agree with mikefm. Manufacturer backed warranties are the ONLY way to go. It's a shame that this happened to you and to thousands of other people! If I were you, I would do the following to get some satisfaction.

First, write to the dealership owner and provide copies of your warranty with your letter. Keep it positive and ask for their assistance. When that doesn't work (99% chance it won't), write to Honda USA. Let Honda know how you like the CRV, but detest the dealership due to this circumstance. (Provide copies of the documentation AND the letter to the owner.) Tell Honda that although they have a great product, you don't trust this dealership! Tell them that this Honda dealer has poisoned your ownership experience and that you're having trouble placing trust in other Honda dealerships. Ask for their help to regain faith in Honda and it's dealerships.

I know, it sounds kind of hokey, but you might just get what you want out of the deal. If not, you at least place a mark against the dealership for not assisting you. Good luck!
  • Options
    Hello, unless you plan on leaving your Nissan in the garage, out of the rain and other wet weather that you have, forget about Warranty Direct. They will always say that the reason for the failure was because of water. They will not pay for the repair, they will claim that water was the reason for the damage. Warranty Direct will take yout money, but they will not give. WARRANTY DIRECT will rip you off.
  • Options
    I totally agree with mikefm. Manufacturer backed warranties are the ONLY way to go. It's a shame that this happened to you and to thousands of other people! If I were you, I would do the following to get some satisfaction.

First, write to the dealership owner and provide copies of your warranty with your letter. Keep it positive and ask for their assistance. When that doesn't work (99% chance it won't), write to Honda USA. Let Honda know how you like the CRV, but detest the dealership due to this circumstance. (Provide copies of the documentation AND the letter to the owner.) Tell Honda that although they have a great product, you don't trust this dealership! Tell them that this Honda dealer has poisoned your ownership experience and that you're having trouble placing trust in other Honda dealerships. Ask for their help to regain faith in Honda and it's dealerships.

I know, it sounds kind of hokey, but you might just get what you want out of the deal. If not, you at least place a mark against the dealership for not assisting you. Good luck!
  • Options
    Thanks for a comment, audia8q.
    well, I decided to buy an ext' warranty from GMPP, I have not been done with it yet though. have a good weekend. :)
  • Options
    geo9geo9 Member Posts: 735
    For the best prices on a GMPP warranty anywhere
    check out:
    http://www.gmoutlet.com
  • Options
    Hi everybody - just wanted to let everyone know about extended warranties. I have a 3rd party warrantee. Please BE CAREFUL...... Dealer not honoring his part of refunding my money "guaranteed price refund" through API. I am not out of $1,126.00. Guys please be very carefull. I am not getting anything and I now give up. So the next best thing is to let all of you know. PLEASE BE CAREFUL I DIDN'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT PURCHASING THROUGH WHAT WHERE WHEN OR HOW. But I will say this HOFFMAN HONDA IN WEST SIMSBURY, CONNECTICUT. YOU PEOPLE ARE ROTTEN AND BECAUSE OF YOU I DON'T TRUST ANY DEALERSHIP. CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU!!!!! Contacted Honda usa and they can't do anything for me. Thank you deblyn52
  • Options
    sky23213sky23213 Member Posts: 300
    Deblyn, sorry for your troubles. I wonder if there might be a chance of helping you with the following advice based on my experience. It might not apply to you, because as far as I understand, your Refund Agreement (not the Service Contract/Extended Warranty) is with the dealership. But please take one more look at the Refund Agreement. Was it with the dealership, or set up through a third party? In my case the EW was with an outfit called as far as I remember American Platinum something (kinda sounds similar to the company that issued yours, but you never stated what API stood for). The Refund Agreement was with a totally different entity - a financial services company called Signet Financial Group. When the time came (hit 100K) I never dealt with the EW issuer, but the Refund Agreement Company. There was a separate agreement signed by the F/I guy on their behalf, with detailed instructions how to get your refund. I followed the process and got mine. For more info you may look up my post in this discussion # 1485).
    Again, I don't know if this was the case with your EW. IMO, the only reason they would refuse to do anything would be if the refund agreement was a clause in the EW, making the bankrupt company responsible for the refund. Now, if the Refund Agreement was with the dealership, I would think it's their obligation and the EW company's inability to pay is irrelevant. That doesn't mean that they wouldn't use it as an excuse not to refund you - wrong, unethical and mean, but quite possible. And then, if the Refund Agreement was issued on behalf of a different company (as in my case), you would contact them, and EW Company's demise is even more irrelevant.
    I hope this helps. Do write if you need more details.
  • Options
    wlbrown9wlbrown9 Member Posts: 867
    well, I decided to buy an ext' warranty from GMPP, I have not been done with it yet though. have a good weekend.

I took another look at the pricing setup at GMOUTLET. It is a little different that it was when I bought the GMPP in 2004. At that time the months and mileage went back to the in service date and mileage. Now, if you buy a 60 month and 75K mile plan, it starts from todays date and mileage. There are 3 pricing schedules...New - including less than 12 months and 12000 age and mileage, over 12 & 12k but less than 24 & 24K then over 24 & 24 while still covered by factory warranty. The plan purchased as NEW or less that 12 & 12K is the least expensive... So, there might not be a great rush to purchase...as long as you are under the factory warranty, you should be able to purchase.
  • Options
    thanks geo9 and wlbrown9. my vehicle is under class 1 and current mileage is around 21k.
    they sent the below information after i ask them. just in case people in here better take a look at it.

Price Class 1 for 2004 to 2008 Used Vehicle with 0 to 24,000 Miles on Odometer
    *Note: Coverage starts on today's date & current odometer reading, NOT on "Original In-Service Date" when vehicle was new. . Details

Used Vehicle Major Guard Class 1
    $0 DEDUCTIBLE
    $100 DEDUCTIBLE
    $200 DEDUCTIBLE

2004 to 2008 Models
    List Price / Sale Price
    List Price / Sale Price
    List Price / Sale Price

12 mo / 12,000 miles
    $500.00 / $450.00
    $460.00 / $430.00
    $430.00 / $415.00

12 mo / 15,000 miles
    $530.00 / $465.00
    $480.00 / $440.00
    $440.00 / $420.00

12 mo / 18,000 miles
    $560.00 / $480.00
    $500.00 / $450.00
    $460.00 / $430.00

12 mo / 20,000 miles
    $580.00 / $490.00
    $520.00 / $460.00
    $480.00 / $440.00

24 mo / 24,000 miles
    $620.00 / $510.00
    $550.00 / $475.00
    $500.00 / $450.00

24 mo / 30,000 miles
    $660.00 / $530.00
    $580.00 / $490.00
    $530.00 / $465.00

24 mo / 36,000 miles
    $710.00 / $555.00
    $630.00 / $515.00
    $560.00 / $480.00

24 mo / 40,000 miles
    $850.00 / $625.00
    $740.00 / $570.00
    $650.00 / $525.00

24 mo / 50,000 miles
    $1,190.00 / $795.00
    $1,000.00 / $700.00
    $870.00 / $635.00

36 mo / 24,000 miles
    $840.00 / $620.00
    $730.00 / $565.00
    $640.00 / $520.00

36 mo / 30,000 miles
    $890.00 / $645.00
    $770.00 / $585.00
    $680.00 / $540.00

36 mo / 36,000 miles
    $950.00 / $675.00
    $810.00 / $605.00
    $710.00 / $555.00

36 mo / 45,000 miles
    $1,150.00 / $775.00
    $970.00 / $685.00
    $840.00 / $620.00

36 mo / 54,000 miles
    $1,415.00 / $940.00
    $1,230.00 / $815.00
    $1,040.00 / $720.00

36 mo / 60,000 miles
    $1,540.00 / $1,065.00
    $1,385.00 / $910.00
    $1,200.00 / $800.00

36 mo / 75,000 miles
    $1,855.00 / $1,380.00
    $1,630.00 / $1,155.00
    $1,465.00 / $990.00

48 mo / 32,000 miles
    $920.00 / $660.00
    $790.00 / $595.00
    $700.00 / $550.00

48 mo / 40,000 miles
    $1,080.00 / $740.00
    $920.00 / $660.00
    $800.00 / $600.00

48 mo / 48,000 miles
    $1,415.00 / $940.00
    $1,230.00 / $815.00
    $1,040.00 / $720.00

48 mo / 60,000 miles
    $1,585.00 / $1,110.00
    $1,425.00 / $950.00
    $1,250.00 / $825.00

48 mo / 72,000 miles
    $1,865.00 / $1,390.00
    $1,640.00 / $1,165.00
    $1,475.00 / $1,000.00

60 mo / 40,000 miles
    $1,370.00 / $895.00
    $1,160.00 / $780.00
    $990.00 / $695.00

60 mo / 50,000 miles
    $1,535.00 / $1,060.00
    $1,385.00 / $910.00
    $1,190.00 / $795.00

60 mo / 60,000 miles
    $1,915.00 / $1,440.00
    $1,680.00 / $1,205.00
    $1,505.00 / $1,030.00

60 mo / 75,000 miles
    $2,285.00 / $1,810.00
    $1,965.00 / $1,490.00
    $1,730.00 / $1,255.00

72 mo / 48,000 miles
    $1,935.00 / $1,460.00
    $1,695.00 / $1,220.00
    $1,520.00 / $1,045.00

72 mo / 60,000 miles
    $2,640.00 / $2,165.00
    $2,240.00 / $1,765.00
    $1,950.00 / $1,475.00

72 mo / 72,000 miles
    $3,130.00 / $2,655.00
    $2,625.00 / $2,150.00
    $2,250.00 / $1,775.00

84 mo / 56,000 miles
    $2,245.00 / $1,770.00
    $1,940.00 / $1,465.00
    $1,710.00 / $1,235.00

84 mo / 70,000 miles
    $3,210.00 / $2,735.00
    $2,690.00 / $2,215.00
    $2,300.00 / $1,825.00
  • Options
    Note: Coverage starts on today's date & current odometer reading, NOT on "Original In-Service Date" when vehicle was new.

Thats the norm when you are buying a used car service contract. New car warranties start on the ISD (in service date)
  • Options
    wlbrown9wlbrown9 Member Posts: 867
    Thats the norm when you are buying a used car service contract. New car warranties start on the ISD (in service date)

That used to be the case for GM plans...no longer the case. Here are the current answers from the GM site.

When does a GM Protection Plan begin?
    The term and mileage of coverage is calculated from the date of contract purchase and the current odometer mileage on the vehicle. There are two forms of pricing available: New and Used. "New" consists of any vehicle that has been in service up to 12 months AND up to 12,000 miles on the odometer. "Used" is any vehicle that has been in service for more than 12 months OR more than 12,000 miles on the odometer.

When does a GM Protection Plan end?
    Vehicle service contracts purchased on all vehicles end at the time or mileage selected.

All vehicle service contracts and Smart Care vehicle maintenance contracts end at the time or mileage selected (whichever comes first) calculated from the date of contract purchase and odometer mileage at time of contract purchase. For example, a 24,000-mile plan, purchased for a vehicle with 40,000 miles, will end when the odometer reaches 64,000 miles (unless the time period expires first).
  • Options
    Sky23213 - Thank you for your reply. The documentation was between dealer and myself. API stands for Automotive Protection Inc. If you call - the only number you can get ahold of is the claims and that is it and through Guaranteed Price Refund (which he transferred me to)is just an answering machine and you leave a message. I will say this though - one on one with the dealer (General Manager) he did say if you don't get money from API looks like we will have to pay. But, one on one didn't get me anywhere. Last words were I am getting a lawyer and so is he. Thank you for replying. deblyn52
  • Options
    mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    Usually when a dealer sells an after market warranty that goes belly up, you can negotiate something with them, maybe free labor and wholesale prices for the parts, but you have to be willing to go to the top of the dealership for that. They do have a vested interest in keeping you happy.

But as soon as you talk about getting lawyers involved, all bets are off and they won't discuss anything with you. And unless you have something in writing that would hold up in court, which would be highly unlikely, you're stuck.
  • Options
    Usually when a dealer sells an after market warranty that goes belly up, you can negotiate something with them,...

That would be in case of a claim. In that case I agree, it's all a matter of good will. But I believe we are talking about the Refund Agreement, which was signed by the dealer.
    Just following general logic here: if Deblyn has a signed piece of paper from the dealer committing to the said Refund, I guess he has a pretty good chance in court.
  • Options
    Hi - I'm just wanted you to know that I have a signed document from the dealer with his signature and my signature which states I get a refund (guaranteed price refund). I would say this is between dealer and buyer - do you agree. Also, wouldn't you say that it would be cut and dry that dealer should pay. Please reply. Thank you. deblyn
  • Options
    Hi - what does APCO stand for? Thank you deblyn
  • Options
    Not allot of difference then the fact that you sign a finance contract signed by you and the dealer. But the bank still holds the loan
  • Options
    pardon me for interrupting, but...

It may also depend on any "fine print". Hopefully, there's none to negate what you were told. You may want to call or visit the website of your county court and obtain information on Small Claims actions.

I've enjoyed about a 90% success rate in Small Claims courts with customers that didn't want to pay their debts. About half of them paid when I completed the paperwork and sent them a copy of the form with a final demand letter. This is also worked on a large company that damage my vehicle, but refused to discuss their liability. In the letter, you must state a reasonable date that you expect full payment. I always made it NOON and included a line that states, that the paperwork would be filed that afternoon and that any court fees and future expenses with this matter would be added to their present balance.

Many people state that they have heard of people winning the small claims, but not collecting. I've gotten every penny and one judge awarded me $300 more than I asked for due to the customer being caught in several lies under oath. :shades: I loved that one! Another customer paid his bill in full at the office before I could get back from filing at the court house. I called and told him thank you, but he still owed my the $50 filing fee. He got nasty, so I told him that I'd see him in court to get that fee. He paid.

Finally, if you decide to go this route and must go to court. Be very professional. Address the judge. Ignore the other party. Let them do tell their side of the story (lie) without interrupting them. Just listen for their lie(s) where you can prove they're wrong. I've lost one case in 10 years and probably a dozen cases. "They always lie, but you must have written proof to prove it." Be civil and you'll impress the judge.
  • Options
    I agree with user gasman1, even if the dealer signed it there could be fine print on the front or back of the contract that says, in effect "this contract is between you and a 3rd party and the dealership is not responsible". That sort of language lets the dealer off the hook for the refund.

So I would read all the fine print before I decided on the next course of action.

Dennis
  • Options
    Hello Dennis - On front and back of paperwork it has no statement regarding 3rd party at all. deblyn
  • Options
    Could you post the paperwork? (without your name/address/VIN of course)
  • Options
    Also, wouldn't you say that it would be cut and dry that dealer should pay. Please reply.

Some very good advice was posted, from some very competent posters here on Edmunds (a service mgr, finance mgr, EW guru and a businessman), so I don't think I have anything else to add, just to wish you luck.
    From what we've heard so far, they definitely are on the hook, especially if they didn't leave themselves any back door by means of the fine print.