Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chrysler 300/300C

Comments

• Options
    mnmatchesmnmatches Member Posts: 111
    I've noticed that a number of posters state that they felt on the younger side being in their mid 30's while at the opening night party. And I've noted that many of the ages listed on this board are between 40 and 65 give or take. So what does this say about me being 26 and loving this car?? Maybe its one generations way of lusting after their youth, and another trying to solidify it. Maybe in another 20 years my son and I will be picking out the color of our cars.

Does anyone have any comments on the sound system compared to other systems? About 5 years back I worked in sales at a premiere car audio shop, where I had the privilege of learning and truly understanding what it takes to make a hi-fi system work. Are there any audiophiles in here that would like to provide a review of the sound system?

For those of you that have taken the car on a road trip (over two hours), do you have any comments on your comfort level in the front seats? Back seats?

tibbune - make sure you post pics of you jumping the 300 ala Duke boys.. :) Where did you get your windows tinted and for how much?

Any idea if the future AWD version will be switchable like the Traction Control?

Also, for those of you that wish to keep the front end of your car nic free there are companies out there that make an invisible bra for cars. It is essentially a thick clear plastic that is applied to the front end of your car from the headlights forward. After applied its nearly invisible.
  • Options
    dkrhardydkrhardy Member Posts: 134
    Does anyone know where to get a decent copy of the photo that is on the brochure for the 300? The one that has a forest look to it with light around it. It was on the cover I think. I'd like to use it as my desktop, and I'm not a computer literate person. Point and click was invented for me. I say that because if someone says to scan it .... uhm, I gave away my scanner because it wasn't user friendly. To me anyway. Thanks!
  • Options
    Right on the Chrysler homepage for the 300!
  • Options
    bigelmbigelm Member Posts: 995
    Normally all Nav intro agreements are by default. My uncle's Lexus LS430 has it. Basically you won't be able to use the Nav unless you 'agree' with the terms. As if you were going to hold Chrysler responsible for hitting a guardrail, messing with your Nav while driving... lol.

It is kinda dum that you have to agree to the terms before using it though... Maybe somebody can figure out a way to disable it.
  • Options
    tibbunetibbune Member Posts: 76
    My Nav will always be this way? Yike. That's disappointing. I'm willing to sign a waiver!

For the guy who asked: The tint ran just over $200 at Airpark Tint in Scottsdale, AZ. All windows and sunroof were tinted...except the windshield of course. This may seem pricey in some locales, but here in Arizona we need the extra thick, radiation grade liquid aluminum concentrate blended tint compound with asbestos on the side. It may actually be bullet proof.

One item of note with the tint: Instead of fiddling with removing panels, and possibly damaging them, I had them cut around the rear tailight that sits virtually flush to the back glass (try squeezing your hand between the bottom of the window and the back ledge). I was concerned with how it would come out, and was relieved to see it looks like a factory tint job that way.
  • Options
    markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    The AWD will be seamless, always on, always there and, based on the author writing the piece will be rearward biased something like 30%-70% or 40%-60%. The Mercedes from whence it was spawned has, I believe a 32%-68% split until coefficient of friction makes the system transfer power to where it is needed most.

The AWD will take this car, for all PRACTICAL purposes to the next level of prowess. Now, I am excluding the "track" piece in this statement: the AWD version will improve virtually all aspects of this cars performance and handling as it will be used on the public highways and streets when they are dry, wet, slushy and icy and everything in between. This car with AWD should make Audi sit up and take notice, for example.

The competence of this car, great as it is now, will be improved subtlely to remarkably based on where and when it is used. Note, if dry pavements and restricted access "road courses" are where you will be using this refined beast exclusively, then and only then, pick the RWD version.

The 300C AWD will be, for the moment, the "one to beat!" It will be showing its tail lights to the vast majority of the cars out there and, in all four seasons.

I can't wait to test one of these babies.
  • Options
    Here's the way to do it right! I currently have this setup on my computer and it looks FANTASTIC.

Follow these steps:
    1) go to chrysler home page and click the 300 link
    2) click "Photos" in the left-hand navigation
    3) under the pretty forest photo on the right you'll notice an "Enlarge Photo" link. Click it
    4) right click on the picture and select "Select as Background"
    5) go to your desk top and right click. select "Properties"
    6) in the Display Properties window select the "Appearance" tab
    7) change the desk top color to black (because it complements the photo so well its unbelievable)
    8) Click the "Ok" button and then sit back and stare at your desk top for a few hours...:)

Ever since I put this up on my desk top at work I keep getting people walking up to my desk and asking me questions about the car...hehehe. And based upon its side profile people seem to think its some "super car".
  • Options
    stephenstephen Member Posts: 131
    Matches, I sold my 2000 STS with Bose and my 1999 300M with Infinity, and comparing the base Boston Acoustics sound system that comes with the 300C with both of those, it is way better than the Infinity (which was mediocre) and much better than the Bose. I was so impressed with it, I bought 1200 shares of Boston Acoustics (BOSA).

stephen
  • Options
    trashman2trashman2 Member Posts: 44
    the new price$195.00 plus 1 year free serivice. go to chrysler.com biuld and price.
  • Options
    foxsavvy1foxsavvy1 Member Posts: 6
    Has anybody had the opportunity to really compare the sound from the base 300c stereo system vs. the soundgroup II upgrade with 8 speakers, subwoofer, and 380watt amp. Is the difference worth $500? If you have an opinion on this, please post. I am trying to decide whether or not to fork over the extra dough for the upgraded sound system. Thanks.
  • Options
    kvilleboykvilleboy Member Posts: 45
    I see the $195 price, and no activation fee, but I don't see anything about 1 year free service. Can you guide me a little more to where I can find this info? Thanks.
  • Options
    buckheadbuckhead Member Posts: 16
    Dealer just called and said that Chrysler told him that they would no longer make the 300C with a sunroof this year. Something about allocation.

Also said that Chrysler may cancel my order that's 4 weeks old because they have been overwhelmed.

I quit buying Chrysler made products 26 years ago because of the same BS. Finally broke down and ordered one and look what happens.

Anybody got a name and phone number for someone at Chrysler that might know what's going on? Looks like the idiots are still at the wheel.
  • Options
    carcom2carcom2 Member Posts: 212
    Here's another good review at www.topix.net
  • Options
    fsmmcsifsmmcsi Member Posts: 792
    Correct me if I am wrong, but the work "allocation" is unually associated with the number of cars a dealer is allowed to order, based on their previous sales and customer satisfaction. I have seen a number of 300C cars at dealers in southern CA with sunroofs. I wonder if the dealer is not being allowed to order the car, or if they want to sell it to someone else at a big mark-up.
  • Options
    trashman2trashman2 Member Posts: 44
    click on 300c forums.com. general discussion 2nd thread (price drop on sai. radio)
  • Options
    mileshoovermileshoover Member Posts: 122
    just hit my name in the header of any msg I wrote; it will show the profile and my e-mail address. (It's mileshoover@adelphia.net).
  • Options
    buckhead -- are not particularly good. Best Buy is giving them away when you buy certain phones from them; most persons are refusing them. Get the Sony Ericsson T616; works fine and its cost is fully rebated until 5/15.
  • Options
    hmk123hmk123 Member Posts: 122
    That is troubling news. I ordered mine with a sunroof two weeks ago. I can understand a delay because of OEM problems. But for the rest of the year? I called my dealer. Says the order is in BG status, which means order has passed edit but cannot be scheduled regardless of sold status. I guess only time will tell (he said it is unlikely that they cancel orders). Originally I wanted to wait until next year. Are higher forces at work?
  • Options
    mikeyjohnmikeyjohn Member Posts: 365
    I don't know if this is applicable to US orders, but here in Canada the deadline for factory orders was the 29th of April, but I'm not really sure what that meant. I presume it was only a date so that they could keep up with production and inventory. What happened to all those 39,000 vehicles sitting in the amusement park in Brampton? I'm not sure I believe that you would not be able to get a sun roof if you factory ordered it. I think you may have a law suit against DC because you have entered into a contract with them. Might want to check with some of our lawyer freinds who contribute to these sites.
  • Options
    I drove 150 miles from VA through MD to PA today with my "C" on a round trip to take my 82 year old sister to lunch for her birthday. For those familiar with the area, it was US15 N from Leesburg to Frederick, MD, E on I70 to Baltimore, N on I695 to N on I83 to Shrewsbury, PA. Set the NAV to her address 70 some miles away and it took me there with no problems. The NAV is set for voice and tones plus tones for confirmation so I don't really have to look at it. Before each turn or merge, it would warn me to get into the left or right lane, then turn, etc. All warnings/guidance began at least 3 miles away from the action point. For the trip back, I set the NAV to "Home" and there it took me.

My UConnect picks up my Sony Ericsson T616 Bluetoon, Hands Free Enabled phone perfectly. I made several such calls just for the fun of it. It mutes the sound system during the conversation but you have full volume control via the steering wheel buttons or at the NAV screen. It's much easier to use the wheel control while driving. This phone can turn Bluetooth selection on and off. When not using it in a car Bluetooth enabled, Bluetooth should be turned off to conserve battery power. The minute it is enabled again, it couples to the car.

The car was absolutely a pleasure to drive. I was on a mix of 2 lane to freeway-type roads and in all cases, it behaved beautifully. Lots of power, great transmission, smooth riding, very comfortable with its chair heighth seats and adjustable everything, and the cruise control funtions better than on the LH I had before.

The NAV/Stereo/CD Changer/Sirius/UConnect all merged together and functioned like nothing I have ever experienced before. The sound system is way ahead of the Infinity top line in my previous LH model. The woofer can be felt in the floor of the car up front so it has got some kind of power.

I cruised at 70mph and was almost the slowest one around. People in MD and PA drive like there is no tomorrow. Computer said my average speed was 60mph with 23mpg for the total trip. My first tank, driving mostly in traffic here in the WashDC area gave me 17.7.

There was not one squeak or rattle in the car; in fact, it feels as if it is built like a brick. Very solid, yet responsive. No pulling to any side and outstanding power, when you want it. Tires appeared to be fine. I checked tire pressure when I bought it on the 29th; it was 32psi all around. The manual wants 30psi, so I changed them to match. I do notice some feeling of flatspotting after sitting overnight in a cold garage; it goes away within a few miles as the tires heat up. Brakes are imposing. You feel confident that the car will stop when and where you want.

All in all, it was a very enjoyable trip in an outstanding auto. What more can I say? This car is a winner in all ways.
  • Options
    jcz1jcz1 Member Posts: 36
    These stories might get old in a few months, but right now, for those of us anxiously awaiting our cars, it makes us drool with anticipation. Keep 'em coming!
  • Options
    April 29th was deadline for what? For orders of 300Cs with sunroofs?
  • Options
    smittysmitty Member Posts: 14
    I have the sound group II, Boston Acoustics spkrs, sub, 380 watt digital. I have to get used to bass again. This system BUMPS!! The staging is good, and forward of you. Sometimes it makes the car feel smaller inside because of the imaging. Lots of people thought the sub was in the dash and of course it's in the rear deck. I checked the 3M site last night for there paint protection and spoke to a useless authorized installer at a local tint shop. The installer told me the product comes pre cut for the make and model of a veh about $1k installed. I have more research to do.
  • Options
    mikeyjohnmikeyjohn Member Posts: 365
    I was told that the 29th was the deadline for factory orders on the 300's period. Not sure whether they meant that they were going to fill other orders from existing stock, but the launch date for this car in Canada was the 28th not the 22nd like in the US, and I ordered mine on the 27th prior to the launch.Somebody mentioned about dealer allocation, so maybe this is what it is about.
  • Options
    barry626barry626 Member Posts: 78
    I spoke to DC last week when I was checking arrival of my new 300C.
    I asked two questions, when tire monitor & AWD will be available?
    I was put on hold 10 mins & when he came back he said...
    Tire Pressure Monitors won't begin till October.
    AWD not till November.
  • Options
    Exactly what "tire pressure monitor" are you speaking of? Is this something inside the car, a warning light of some sort?

I ask because my car has tire pressure monitors, albeit cheesy ones, on each tire in the form of a valve stem cap that is colored green at the tip when the pressure is optimal. If the tire pressure dips low, the cap turns yellow. If it gets to dangerously low, the valve stem cap turns red.

It's not rocket science, nor is it as cool as say... a digital projection of each wheel cast onto the windshield with a soothing female voice accompanying it. But it does monitor the tire pressure, and it's on the car right now.

Is it October already?
  • Options
    I have no idea what to get if my 300C order gets cancelled. Usually get the Audi 8L, but decided to move to a 'cooler' car. My problem is that I get very determined and will not let this issue go until I get to the bottom of it.
  • Options
    bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    On the 300M DC has valve stems that have a self-contained sending unit on their base. They are set by rotating a circular magnet on each stem around the various wheel positions on the car. The overhead console gets the signal and once the system is working the console will alert the driver if one of the tires has lowered pressure. The stems are supposed to last about 5 years before replacement is necessary. I did not check the console when I test drove the C, but I assume that a low pressure message would come up somewhere once the system is set if a tire gets low.
  • Options
    Did you get the protection package with the self sealing tires? It appears as though there was a fluid present in the tires that actually seals them. Is it possible that this fluid settled overnight and then needed to be centrifugally dispersed again while driving? I have no experience with flatspotting my-self but the possibility of the sealing fluid occurred to me while reading your post.
  • Options
    Oddly, and maddeningly so, you cannot get to fifth gear via the autostick. If you flip it to the plus side while in "4" which should take you to fifth, it goes to “D” and then you’ve lost all control over the transmission and the hold of MDS in 8 cylinder mode. Wonderful. I would like to strip the engineers naked, put hoods on their heads, make them stand on boxes with electric wires attached to their hands, and take their picture to humiliate them.

stephen
  • Options
    hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    All the self sealing tires I have ever owned have a sticky coating on the inside of the tire that oozes into small openings to seal them off. I doubt that a liquid is in the tires, as that would foul up the balance, etc.
  • Options
    tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    All that just because you can't get an extra gear in Autostick mode??? You need some therapy! haha

I reported before that Autostick doesn't use the fifth gear in the C.

et. al.

Self sealing tires- The tires contain a strip of what is basically thick, sticky tar (semi-liquid rubber) spread evenly inside the tire behind the tread area (it won't seal a side puncture). What happens is when you get a puncture, the "tar" oozes into the hole and seals it.

Tire pressure monitor- On the 300M, there's a sensor attached to the valve stem inside each tire (including the spare) that sends a reading to the EVIC. It's actually very accurate; I've tested it against a standard pressure guage and it matched pound-for-pound. Anyway, there is a display screen on the EVIC that shows an overhead view of a car and the digital readout of each tire's pressure is shown at each corner of the diagram. When pressure in a tire is too high or too low, a tone will chime and the EVIC will switch to the car diagram. The tire with the pressure problem will flash. For the spare, it simply displays a message "SPARE LOW" or "SPARE HIGH." I would imagine it's exactly the same in the C, except the EVIC is in the instrument cluster instead of overhead.
  • Options
    So what are your next steps? Do you have a vehicle order number? Will you contact Chrysler directly? I will ask my dealer for the VON and then contact Chrysler. I called them this morning but without a VON you can't do much. He said usually the 300s come in within 4 weeks. Well for me that can't be since it has been two weeks and the order status is BG. Anyone else concerned that their car is months away instead of weeks?
  • Options
    I freely admit that my quest for automotive perfection is a borderline mental disorder.

My disappointment in the autostick not going all the way to fifth is that when it is in "4" it disables the damnable MDS and if it went to "5" while still disabling that jerky, buzzing MDS, I would be so happy I'd be doing the Mexican hat dance with joy.

stephen
  • Options
    Stephen, if your MDS is noticeable, you need to take that car back and have it looked at. I've actually pondered if my MDS actually works, since I can't discern whether it's running eight or four at any given time, and it's impossible to tell when (or if) it changes from one to the other.

When I mentioned the 8 to 4 function to my passengers the other day, they didn't believe me.
  • Options
    After 4 weeks on order I'm still in BG status. Like you said, not much you can do (yet) without a number. Dealer says they are trying, but they can't-or won't- even tell me what is coming in next week. This is tough to believe.

I'm assuming that they'll jerk all of us around, then cancel all our orders, then send out a press release about how successful this launch has been. I just don't understand why we can't get straight forward and honest information. Even something like:

"Look folks, when we get around to making the vehicles we feel like making, with whatever parts we can find, we'll ship them to whoever we please." At least it's honest instead of this specifically vague crap.
  • Options
    sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    Well it's in BG status. What is there to know? I'm on week 8 for a Lexus that hasn't received a build date yet. They told me "it hasn't been scheduled yet". That's pretty much the same as saying "we'll get to it when we get to it".

I passed a carrier load of 300's yesterday in Ohio.
  • Options
    I freely admit that my quest for automotive perfection is a borderline mental disorder.

My disappointment in the autostick not going all the way to fifth is that when it is in "4" it disables the damnable MDS and if it went to "5" while still disabling that jerky, buzzing MDS, I would be so happy I'd be doing the Mexican hat dance with joy.

stephen
  • Options
    . . .I have been ordering the cars I buy for years. I have purchased so few cars in my life off of the lot, I just accept that I will order a car and wait about 5 months (average) for it to come in.

I was visiting my dealer for a test drive this Saturday and one of the new salespeople indicated that he had gone through sales training and found out that "only in America" do customers "expect" to buy a car from "stock." Now, I certainly don't know if this BROAD statement is correct (BTW this was a Porsche sales rep); and I am certain that either Dealers or Manufacturers wouldn't approve of this (here in the US) but, it seems to me that the car dealer of the future will be little more than a test drive and delivery center -- focussing instead on service.

My wife's TT took 14 months to come in from the day we ordered it and put down a $250 check (which was NOT deposited until the car came to the dealership).

This probably doesn't make you feel any better -- but in a significant portion of the world, car dealers carry little sellable inventory and are there as consultants and order takers.

Finally, I would prefer car sales would revert to virtually all sales by order -- and my reasons, which probably won't sway many opinions are that there is a double joy in making the transaction this way. It is almost like getting a new car first when the order is placed then several months later when the car actually arrives.

It is my understanding that this IS the case for Cadillac -- at least for the CTS-v model.

Perhaps the Chrysler 300 will ultimately be a special order car and the order queue will justify mass customization. In this regard, I suspect, buyers would be happier too.

It is odd, that so many folks buy these expensive machines either "not quite as they wanted it" or said another way, equipped with things they just don't want simply because it was "in stock."

BTW, I too saw a truckload of 300's on the freeway yesterday -- gorgeous looking cars.
  • Options
    I agree with mark. On a recent trip to London I noticed that there were many dealerships within the heart of the city. Since they were little more than small shops on the corners of bigger buildings I can't imagine that they had anything more than a few models to test drive.

America is big folks...we have lots of land to park hundreds of cars on, just to buy our cookie cutter cars off of.

Don't get me wrong, I too appreciate the fact that I can go to a dealership and find the car I want and drive right off of the lot. BUT, I also understand that if I want something specific.....that I just might not get it for a while. (I just waited 8.5 months to get a couch and two chairs....)

BTW...14 months is insane.
  • Options
    I know what you mean. I am originally from Germany and most of the cars my dad bought were always factory ordered. A few times he even went down to Mercedes-Benz or BMW to pick them up. I guess I can wait. It just has to do with expectations. When you are told by the time of the order six to eight weeks and then read that they might cancel all orders and have you wait until next year... That would be pretty dramatic. Not that that has even happened. So I guess I will kick back and enjoy my 300M and wait until for that phone call saying: come on it and pick it up. So when you waited 14 months for the TT, you did negotiate the price before hand though, right? And they stuck to that when you picked it up.

By the way, it is all about money :-) If I had some extra, I could just pick up a Crossfire for a few months and keep myself occupied with it until the 300C arrives. Unfortunately, that's spending a little bit too much on distracting yourself waiting for the 300C :-)
  • Options
    rwdevorerwdevore Member Posts: 10
    Ordered my 300C on April 30th with everything except a sunroof. Status was "D" today from "BG". Told that is a good thing from the dealer.

Anyone know of a site you can track your car's build or ship progress at?
  • Options
    jrcasejrcase Member Posts: 7
    Email me the last 8 digits of your VIN or the VON number and I will email you a screen print. techpartner@yahoo.com
  • Options
    Yep, I agree, it was insane -- but my friend had to wait over a year for his BMW M5 and was quoted 9 months for the specific Boxster S that he wanted.

The 14 months had to do with the fact that we ordered the car with Quattro and the first ones to hit the US were FWD and we ordered Black Pearl and 17" wheels and a partridge in a pear tree. My wife immediately ordered her second TT while she was taking delivery of her first because she found out that the first TT's were "only" 180HP and that there was a newer one with 225HP that could be had. The "cool" thing was the dealer (or AudiofAmerica) cancelled without payment the lease on the 2000TT in month 7 of a 24 month lease to allow her to take delivery of a 2001 225HP TT.
  • Options
    You bet your stars I'd wait a year for an M5... :) If I could afford one I would have never even thought twice about the 300c. IMHO it is the BEST sedan on the market....

On another note, one has to wonder if it'll be possible to modify/upgrade the DVD player (for the navigation system) to allow dvd movies.....hmmm. Do note that I AM a responsible driver who wouldn't watch something while driving...but my wife would fall over dead if I could get it to work. :)
  • Options
    hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    Gee, let me think. One M5 or 2 300C's and some change for the same money? Better yet, how about 1 300C and save almost $40,000? Given the amorphous blob design of the new M5 plus the idiocy of the I Drive controls, it's a no brainer. Add in the fact that the performance, while better in the M5, isn't that much better, I doubt I would spring for the M5 even if I had that kind of money to spend. Why just throw money away when the 300C is more car than any of us will ever rationally need?
  • Options
    Amen to that!
  • Options
    After my last post it occurred to me that in such a large sedan it would work perfectly for passengers in the back seat. Anyone have any idea if DC is considering it?
  • Options
    ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    maybe those WERE the engineers in those pictures?
  • Options
    Thanks mnmatches - that is the one and it is now on my confuser as my desktop.