Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Yukon and Yukon Denali Problems

Comments

• svracer405svracer405 Member Posts: 1
    I have been annoyed by my front end whining since my 2003 Denali was new. The dealer told me some are louder then others but everything is fine. I can't stand it. It is worst when you ease off the gas around 60mph. With a whine like that, something metal has to be wearing out and I'm sure it won't be cheap when it does.
  • fireman3fireman3 Member Posts: 3
    FYI, in this case it was the turn signal switch, which had shorted out.
  • gboygboy Member Posts: 3
    I just got mine out of the shop today.. 2001 Yukon XL Denali with 67,000 mi. Sounds like I'm almost the same mileage. Mine was built in Nov/Dec 2000. How about yours.

I'm fighting with the dealership (no luck), 1-800-GM-Cares (no luck) and waiting on the regional rep to call back to see what he is going to do. I'm researching arbitration at this point and researching as many occurences as I can find on the web. My repairs were $1900. What did yours end up?

gb
  • pathfinder2pathfinder2 Member Posts: 3
    I traded my 1999 Denali in June with 70,000 miles and praying that it would make it to a dealership that sold imports. The GMC person that I talked to wouldn't offer me one penny towards repairs. I hope that things turn out better for you. My regular mechanic told me that he is making a ton of money on all of the repairs. My Denali had major safety issues and after reading these messages I believe it was in some kind of electrical system failure. I wish I could be of help to you in some way. The Denali is a very frustrating vehicle. Good luck and stay safe.
  • gmcdenaligmcdenali Member Posts: 2
    I've got an 03 denali as well. When you say whining, what exactly do you mean? When I start mine and put it in gear and drive away I get somewhat of a whine in the front end as well. I feel a slight vibration (is the best way I can describe it) in the gas peddle that seems to go along with it. My father has an 03 XL and I don't feel this with his. I have extended warranty but haven't bothered yet. It doesn't seem to take away from proformance. Any luck with yours? Any symptoms like mine?
  • tommy00tommy00 Member Posts: 3
    How many oxygen sensors are on a 99 yukon denali, and how many should be changed after 65,000 miles?
  • tommy00tommy00 Member Posts: 3
    my drivers side seat heater dont work, the fuse is good, and the switch on the seat seams fine. Did anyone have this problem, or know how to fix it?

thanx, tommyoo
  • tomt3tomt3 Member Posts: 1
    I currently have an 01 denali and i also am experiencing the front end nosie. The noise is one of the most aggervating things i have experienced in a vehicle.It doesnt do it everytime I drive it, just most of the time(mainly at lower speeds) I have taken it back to my to the dealership and they informed me the problem was normal, it wasnt normal when I shelled out 50 grand for the vehilce. I have yet to be able to find a solution to this annoying problem. If you have any suggestions please help.
  • lobsenzalobsenza Member Posts: 619
    Probably a heating element. Mine went out last spring. You have to take the seat apart to fix it. Fortunately, mine was covered by my Chrysler extended warranty.
  • denalidavedenalidave Member Posts: 1
    Just picked up my 2002 Denali with 27K on it from the dealer. New transmission, torque converter and radiator. Total expense $3,652.75. I am told the problem that required replacing the tranny was due to a leaking of coolant from the radiator into the transmission. I guess I would waste my time trying to get GMC to share in this expense. Any suggestions or advise. Thanks
  • chuck1959chuck1959 Member Posts: 654
    I heard complaints from my Dallas friends about Sewell. For the price of the Denali, it should be trouble free....or at leastnot as much as what you been through.
  • denaliwhatdenaliwhat Member Posts: 1
    That front end noise your hearing is in the Diff..Just had mine serviced/rebuilt under warranty though....
  • waitingonyukonwaitingonyukon Member Posts: 28
    Did you have any luck fighting this? I have a 2001 Denail (short) and my wife states that the transmission would rev up like it was in neutral before it would lock in. We have 80k miles on it. I don't drive it much, but I will take it out this weekend and see if it happens to me. This doesn't sound good.
    dk
  • pete23pete23 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Yukon Denali. Where in the heck is the fuel filter located? Can it be replaced by this handy do-it-yourselfer? If so, do I need to purchase any special tools?
  • bcnetbcnet Member Posts: 14
    I have a 2003 Yukon Denali with about 30k miles. I have had it in the dealer 3 times over the past 9 months with door lock problems.

1st visit: Right Rear door would not lock with remote or front controls. Could manually lock and door would unlock automatically.

2nd visit: Both Rear doors would not lock with auto systems. Would unlock OK. Replaced all 5 actuators (sp?)

3rd visit: Both rear doors and hatch would not unlock or lock. There was no way to get hatch open as there is no manual lock or key hole to open. Had to load and unload my truck through the side door several times = real pain. This time they replaced another part that was shorting the actuators

I've had the truck back about 4 days with normal operation. Noticed that both rear doors are not working again yesterday!!! Anyone else have any problems like this?
  • dvsdvs Member Posts: 5
    Went thru the same problems except gm covered mine had about 40,000 mi.
    Changed Trans, Radiator, torque conv.

I have the Gold extended warranty but the dealer overroad the original warranty sayng there was problems with the radiators leaking antifreeze into the trannys. Gm covered it on the original warranty, so it may help to try and see if the dealer can override it.

I also have been battling with the Noise in the front end. So far the dealer has changed the Front Differantial bearings. That lasted about 2 weeks, he then changed out the whole front differantial with a new one under warranty. That lasted awhile but I think it is acting up again. The front rubbing/scraping noise is getting louder and I can feel it in the floor.

I am also battling a vibration that has been going on now for the last 35,000 miles.
    After 3 sets of tires and about 4 months of the dealer blaming the tires and the Tire shop blaming the dealer, the dealer put some weights on the exhaust muffler and this helped the reverb from the vibrations but the original shake is still there.
    I have about 5,000 miles left on warranty and I am about to park it in the dealers lap and tell the bank where it is (gmac, that should help them find the problem). I don't spend 50,000 for a truck that I cannot trust to go on a trip across country if I need to let alone just getting back and forth to work on time.

Good luck with yours, but I think you made a mistake buying GM. I cancelled my order for a new Solstice and will not buy GM anymore. It' sad that one cannot afford to buy GM anymore and help support our American workers, but Japan will get my new business.
  • jinx4jinx4 Member Posts: 1
    Sometimes, when I start my 03 Yukon XL Denali, there is no sound coming from the stereo. The lights are on, the stereo can change from XM to CD to FM, etc., but there is NO SOUND. It is like a 'mute' button has been activated. Any ideas??
  • hooperwwhooperww Member Posts: 3
    I had a similar situation in a 96 Tahoe that turned out to be a short in a rear speaker. That short resulted in none of the speakers working.
  • vmidadvmidad Member Posts: 2
    I have had this happen as well. There is a 30 amp fuse under the hood for the amplifier that tends to overheat. Usually pulling the fuse and re-inserting it will do the trick. If that does not work put a new one in and everything is back to normal.
  • beebe6656beebe6656 Member Posts: 2
    I have an 01 yukon denali with 70k on it and the dealer says i need fuel induction/throttle body cleaning and new fuel filter. Cost is $170 to do this. How important is this procedure and do i really need to get it done? Let me know what anyone thinks.
  • tdohtdoh Member Posts: 298
    It definitely wouldn't hurt to get both done--especially the fuel filter, if it hasn't been changed at all--given the number of miles you stated...and if the TB also hasn't been cleaned at all, you'd be surprised as to how much gunk is probably lining the TB opening. Sounds like you're a bit hesitant do get it done, seeing how you mentioned the cost that was quoted to you.
  • beebe6656beebe6656 Member Posts: 2
    thanks for your input. i am going to go ahead and get it done.
  • dirty1dirty1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 denali and will be getting it out of the shop tomorrow. My tranny took a dump that cost me $3900 to rebuild. It was more than a standard rebuild. my mechanic said it wore out things that should not have worn out. Is there any success inj talking with GMC corporate or is it a waste of time??? not sure what to do, any input would be great thanks
  • penny3penny3 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 yukon denali GREAT TRUCK however i am experiencing a small problem I had my truck aligned when i left it continued to pull to the left horribly bad. I switched the front tires to see if it was in the tires, however the left tire is wearing down on the outside and so is the passenger tire. When i swapped tires the pull moved to the right. So naturally i thought that the tire is bad. I was told that shock absorbers can cause this problem and i dont want to buy a 600 dollar set of tires foir this problem to ruin them as well any suggestions?
  • golftommy2golftommy2 Member Posts: 2
    i have the same problem on my 2004 GMC Sierra, the passenger side works fine but when i turn the drivers side on it shorts out both sides. I also checked the fuse and it is good. can anyone help?

Thanks
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    You didn't state the mileage of your Denali. At 6 years though, I'd say you are overdue for new shocks.
  • alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    Outer edge wear on both front tires is usually due to excessive positive camber, toe in, or both. Could be just within specs and still show the same wear patterns. Would be interesting to see the actual printout of settings.
  • warrensgwarrensg Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Denali. I am havbing problems changing the cabin air filters on the vehicle. Anyone have any recommendations?
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    What is the problem? Shouldn't take more than 15 minutes to do.
  • gonzo6gonzo6 Member Posts: 1
    My 2003 Denali did the same thing. I brought it to the dealer and they had to upgrade a program in the computer. While I had it at the dealer they also took care of a couple other problems that were on service bulletins - Loose bolts on the drivers seat, and a high pressure valve in the power steering pump
  • robin8robin8 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone experienced the metallic paint finish on the dashboard peeling? At just over a year old it appears the paint finish is reacting to the oils in my fingers and disintegrating on the push door and under the radio. I brought this to the dealer who agreed to replace since I am under warranty. But the GMC regional rep overruled him. I asked to speak with him and he refused saying it was my fault. In my opinion a Yukon Denali should not have to have the dash replaced as a "normal wear & tear" issue. Either the paint specification is defective or I have a lemon. I keep my car very clean and up to date on all maintenance Has anyone had the same experience? Thanks for your time.
    Robin
  • duped1duped1 Member Posts: 3
    Having been a former front end alignment technician, I would suggest getting the alignment done again somewhere else. Make sure to meet the technician and find out what kind of experience he has. Looks like there is too much positive camber on the left wheel. This is the tilt angle and it needs to be brought back closer to center. It probably pulls to the left too.
    I just bought my 02 Denali a couple months ago. 60K miles. I already had to replace the front wheel bearing (hub) assemblies. I jacked up the front end when I heard the loud scraping/grinding noise and pulled off one of the wheels and the wiggled the hub assy. and it was about to come apart it was so warn out! The ABS light on the dash was also on. I was worried that I would actually make it to the dealer to get it repaired. They replaced the hubs and ABS sensor which was damaged due to the wheel assy rubbing on it.
    NOW... a month later I am getting a vibration from the front end that corolates with the wheel speed. It seems like the AWD had kicked in and wont disengage. I am wondering what causes the AWD to kick in??? Could it be in AWD when it's not suppose to be?? Also, after reading all these problems with the front differential bearings, is my vibration actually in the differential and only evident when in AWD?? The steering feels heavy through the steering wheel which is leading me to suspect that its in AWD when it's not suppose to be. Suggestions????
    I am getting a noise from the rear end of my 02 Denali. I only hear it when at lower speeds and sharp turns (in and our of driveways mainly). It sounds like a rusty chain dangling believe it or not!!! Any suggestions where to start???
  • bwyukonxl01bwyukonxl01 Member Posts: 1
    Hi waiting,

We just recently have experienced this slipping and then as of late the shift position indicator light wouldn't come on and the transmission slipped again. After that the service engine light came on.

Did you ever find out what was wrong with your 2001. We have a 2001 Yukon XL with about 73k.

Thanks,
  • aceswildaceswild Member Posts: 3
    I had to replace one of my front hubhe same reason. Also my u joints had to be replaced. theres about 8 u joints.
  • fljoslinfljoslin Member Posts: 237
    I have a 1995 GMC Suburban SLT with 145K miles on it. I have owned it since 92K miles in early 2001. I have rebuilt the front and rear ends more as prevention than need and have replaced the muffler, cat, and shocks. That is it. The only unusual repair was a leaking coolant fitting at the back of the intake manifold. I am selling it, but probably should not be!
    I do not see how if when you switch your wheels from side to side the pulling switches can be related to anything other than the wheels and tires.
    Have you rotated the rear wheels to the front? I would guess that you have a bent wheel or very bad tire. You can live for a little while with a bent wheel / tire on the back better than on the front.
    Do you have a Posi rear end?. This may be the clutch plates in ther rear end slipping.
  • superrp7superrp7 Member Posts: 2
    We have a 2006 With a strange odor when the sunroof is open only or any window is cracked 1/2 or less. Almost seems like an exhuast odor or ?? carbon monoxide something odd. Service guys say it must be other cars in traffic, they can't find any leaks. Sound similar or anyone else having this problem???
    Got a check for $850 3 days ago.... Get the GM care folks involved and whenever you hit a roadblock just ask for the next person you need to contact. Ask them who do you contact to get arbitration rolling.... It took a while and a number of phone calls but they finally came through with about 40% of the cost.
    Start with the dealer and escalate to GM Cares if the dealer isn't helpful. Keep escalating it and take it to arbitration if you have to. This is not an isolated problem and I think they are willing to give something back just to keep it under the radar screen. I got about 40% of the cost refunded to me.
  • mcsleemcslee Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Denali XL. Where can I find the fuse for the seat warmers. I looked under the dash and all I found was the block where the wires connect. Please help. Thanks, Chris
  • rvbgiantsrvbgiants Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 Yukon with 28k miles. I have noticed lately that when I am at 1000 to 1500 RPM's (50 mph or under) I get this noise (sounds similar to a A/C clutch engaging) from under the truck and then it bucks. Almost like a slip in the tranny. I don't notice it any other time. Has anyone heard or have had this problem. :mad:
  • tfreetfree Member Posts: 1
    could someone tell me how to change the temperature display on my climate control? It's displaying celsius not fahrenheit.
  • funkbusfunkbus Member Posts: 1
    if you find out could you please let me know. i'm still looking.
  • moneypittermoneypitter Member Posts: 2
    Had the exact problem at about 26,000 shortly after buying new. Tranny cooler is inside radiator. Mine cross contaminated both systems. The new radiator and tranny cooler were covered under warranty luckily. But, the best is yet to come as the transmission system cannot be flushed of water 100% and you will need to be extra vigilant to prevent rust damage to the transmission. I'm on my third tanny at 139,000 and going into transmision tomorrow for some horrible mis-shifts at heavy throttle (2-3 shift in particular).
  • moneypittermoneypitter Member Posts: 2
    I have my 2002 Denali scheduled for a transmision inspection for this same problem tomorrow. It also misses shifts rather badly at heavy throttle from 2nd to 3rd. I'd get it to a shop for look soon.
  • ldf3ldf3 Member Posts: 1
    I also have a 2004 Yukon Denali XL. The paint started peeling on the compartment between the 2 front seets first and the dealer replaced it no problem. Last week I brought it back in because the paint was now peeling from other places on the dash board and the paint on the buttons on my NAV/Radio was also wearing off. The dealer sent my NAV system off and 5 days later they re-installed what looks like a new NAV system. (This new Nav system makes a lot more noise than the initial one I had) I am now waiting for the other parts of the dash to come in so they can be replaced as well. My dealer gave me no problems at all with this. In fact, several of the service managers commented to me that they have seen this happen to several Yukons. Good Luck and tell your dealer that other dealers are in fact replacing the peeling parts!
  • abblisaabblisa Member Posts: 2
    I have not had that problem, but i have an 03 yukonxl denali and my problem is the "traction active" message keeps coming up. Brought to dealer and he said it needed a new module, did that, same problem, back to shop tomorrow. Any ideas?