Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Acura TL Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    bobbyzbobbyz Member Posts: 7
    I had been leasing Acuras from this dealership since 1991. About a month ago, I contacted them and asked them to provide a lease price on a 2004 TL since the lease on my 2002 TL - leased through them - was to expire on 6/30/04. Much to my surprise, they treated me as if 13 years of loyalty meant jack. Showed me absolutely no respect, so I shopped around and finally leased a 2004 TL through Sussman Acura in Jenkintown, PA.

Best experience I've ever had buying or leasing a car. Salesman was a pleasure to deal with. Professional, Knowledgeable, no BS. Final lease price was quite fair and better than Davis Acura in Langhorne, PA, which, btw, was my second choice. E-mail me and I'll give you the name of the salesman we used. Good luck.
  • Options
    mdhaukemdhauke Member Posts: 202
    You having a little trouble posting messages bobby?
  • Options
    dtate99dtate99 Member Posts: 122
    I think Bobby has no problem posting messages...he seems to enjoy it very, very much. :)
  • Options
    rainmakerrainmaker Member Posts: 5
    I rec'd a price of 32,400 for the TL with navagation, mud guards, and preimum floor mats. Add tags and tax for state of maryland of about 2000.00, and my out the door price quote was 35400.
    The dealer was in Va, near washington dc. Based on what Ive been seeing on Edmunds that seems about as low as I can get.
  • Options
    shalishali Member Posts: 1
    I have been quoted a price of 32495 + Tags + Taxes by a dealer for a TL with Nav + 11 days waiting time. 2 questions - is this a good price -nothing is included - no floor mats, no trunk tray etc. Should I ask him to throw in something or is this a good price?

Also, 2nd question - When the dealer says 11 days, would it really be delivered in 11 days or would it take months ? Should I take this in writing from him mentioning I will back out if it doesn't come by in 11 days. Can I do this?'

This is in PA. Did any of you get a better deal than this in PA. It yes, could you please email me the dealer's name.
  • Options
    habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    rainmaker,

Your numbers don't add up. $32.4k + 2k taxes would be $34.4k, not 35.4k. If, as I suspect, you were quoted $33.4k for a TL w/ Nav & goodies, that's about the same price I got ($33.3k for a 6-speed, Nav and HPT package). However, no VA dealer was willing to match my PA price for a 6-speed w/nav; only one would come close with an automatic.

shali

$32.5k is a very good price for a TL w/ nav. That's about $400 over invoice. The trunk tray lists for about $100 and can be purchased for $80 over the internet, so don't lose a good deal over nickels and dimes.
  • Options
    sharabi75sharabi75 Member Posts: 13
    Hello,

Can anyone give me a update on the So. Cal area prices for the TL w/Navi? Prices paid recently? Good dealers, dealers to stay away from?

Is it possible to get the TL w/ navi for under $33K in So. Cal? All help would be appreciated!
  • Options
    straycatstraycat Member Posts: 9
    Just bought a black 6 speed camel interior TL from Palm Beach Acura, and would highly recommend them. Will post pricing and buying experience later.

Had a horrendous experience at Ed Morse Acura, Pompano Beach, FL in May, 2004. Internet Manger quoted a price by e-mail of $30,299.00. I test drove car, met internet guy, told them price was fine, and needed to shop a little more. Decided on the TL a few days later. Called, and made appointment to buy the car.
    Salesman took my driver's license to do paperwork, then returned and said he could not honor quoted price. Quoted a price above MSRP! I insisted on offer that was made. He left to "talk to his manager". Spotted him walking around the lot, talking to nobody. Got up to leave. Tried to keep me captive by not returning my driver's license.
    All the classic sleazy games that historically give car dealers a bad name are alive and well at Ed Morse Acura, Pompano Beach, Florida
  • Options
    I bought a black/camel 6 speed from Palm Beach Acura, West Palm Beach Florida. It could not have been an easier, more pleasant experience. I called the internet manager and specified the car and interior and exterior color I wanted. He called back, said the car would be available from the factory in about 4 weeks, and quoted a price. I faxed a counter offer. He called back and we settled on $30,800.00 plus $499.00 dealer's fee, and the unavoidable taxes, tags etc.

They did not require any money down to order the car. The car was delivered when promised, and all financial arrangements were taken care of quickly promptly and easily at the time of delivery. It was a seamless, pleasant professional transaction, and the car is a dream.

I had previously posted the nightmare experience I had at Ed Morse Acura in Pompano Beach, Florida. The contrast in buying experiences, customer treatment and professionalism was the difference between night and day.

Also shopped Delray Beach Acura, Delray Beach Florida. They were totally ridiculous. I test drove car, told salesman I would buy the car. They would not quote a price. Another salesman called me, asked me to give him a credit card number over the phone, and make an offer, but he would not give me a price for the car. Needless to say, that was the end of my contact with Delray Beach Acura.

Lastly, called Rick Case Acura, Broward County Florida. Never got to the dealership. Salesman I spoke to was arrogant. Said "We don't discount TL's we're giving no incentives, we're only offering low financing on the RL (read the fine print in the newspaper ad). Gave me no reason to even stop in.

So, praises to Palm Beach Acura. The buying experience could not have been easier.
  • Options
    Sounds like you got a good deal you are happy with, so congratulations.

However, I would find it somewhat offensive that a dealer quotes a price and then adds a $500 fee to it. They didn't sell you the car for $30,800. they sold you the car for $31,300. One thing I like about Honda and Acura is that they don't nickle and dime buyers on options. Pick the trim level and your pretty much done. A dealer that quotes a low price and then adds a $500 fee is counterproductive to this high class approach.

Fee or not, you got a reasonable deal (I paid $33,310 for a 6-speed Nav w/ HPT). Enjoy your car.
  • Options
    Very good price
  • Options
    hopsterguyhopsterguy Member Posts: 4
    Wondering what the going price has been lately in the Nearby Connecticut, Rhode Island, and Massachusetts areas here... Looking for a 6 speed non-navi.

Thanks for any info offered!!

-Steve
  • Options
    I agree with you. The "dealers fee" is part of the total price. More dealers are adding this on, than not. To the dealer's credit, they quoted it up front with the purchase price, and it was not a surprise later on. I suppose they use it as a marketing tool so that they can quote a seemingly lower price, but I wish dealer's fees would be eliminated completely. I bought my son's Mustang 2 years ago at Maroone Ford in Margate FL, and they were one of the very few Florida new car dealers that did not add any dealer's fees to the price. Anyhow, the TL is great. My son and my wife just argued over which of them would take "my" car tonight. (The Wife won).
  • Options
    ahowardahoward Member Posts: 1
    Shali,

Based on what I read from this forum, the price you got is very good. I am also looking to buy a TL. Could you please tell me which dealer offered you this price?

Thanks.
  • Options
    dhp75dhp75 Member Posts: 4
    Hey Steve, I leased a SSM 2004 6spd TL w/nav and HPT tires form Acura Executive in North Haven, CT in Jan 2004. I got it for 1500 off MSRP and they included wheel locks, trunk tray, and splash guards. Plus 4 free oil changes every year. My sales guy was John Fulvi. Really nice guy. I shopped around all of CT and they gave me the best price. Call him up and see what he can offer you.

Dave
  • Options
    Antonino Acura of Groton offered 31650 right over e-mail... haven't talked to them in person yet. If I could get someone down to around 31000 I think I would be pleased. Antonino offers free oil changes as well.
  • Options
    dan2345dan2345 Member Posts: 4
    My car (Anthracite TL w/Aspec) is currently in production and I have two questions for anyone that might have input:

1. Can someone tell me what the steering wheel that come with the Aspec package looks like (color, material, etc.)?

2. I have the ability to still choose between the gray and black leather interior. I have chosen black thus far based on the looks, but am having slight doubts that the black interior might get too hot because of the extreme heat we have down here in South Florida. I was told by the salesman that the black interior doesn't get any hotter than the grey interior. I was hoping someone may be able to comment on this since it is a concern of mine. Hard to believe that the black doesn't get any hotter, but I would like to know from individual experiences if possible. I love the looks of the black, but the heat issue is a major concern. Please comment.

Thanks ahead for your responses to the above issues.
  • Options
    I can't really see how black would be the same temperature in the sun as grey. Black objects absorb light rays, and lighter colored objects are reflecting some rays... White objects are reflecting most visible rays... That's the reason why white objects in the sun feel cooler to the touch. Now, if you are allowed to have very dark windows where you live, then that shouldn't really be a concern since much of the light energy would be absorbed by the windows instead of the interior.
  • Options
    acumdacumd Member Posts: 5
    Congratulations on your TL 6M purcahse ! Did you test drive it before you got it ? What do you think about the response of the car ? Torque steer ? I'd greatly appreiciate any feedback I can get from 6M owners since the Acura dealers don't give us the privilege of a test drive.

Thanks !
  • Options
    jmelariojmelario Member Posts: 2
    Had been driving 5 series BMW / sport , for many years, as well as a 00 Corvette, Became very interested in the TL ..the 1st time I'd seen one 9 & did not even know ..what car I was admiring ).
    Did research , my dealer ( Northeast Acura..upstate NY) actually let me keep one for a weekend ...that's all I needed.
    Rather than go for a new 530/45 ...I felt that the Acura TL was simply a better value. I am very happy with the car, despite a problem with bluetooth, I suggest the Sony E ..works great.

JME
  • Options
    jmelariojmelario Member Posts: 2
    Had been driving 5 series BMW / sport , for many years, as well as a 00 Corvette, Became very interested in the TL ..the 1st time I'd seen on & did not even know ..what car I was admiring ).
    Did research , my dealer ( Northeast Acura..upstate NY) actually let me keep one for a weekend ...that's all I needed.
    Rather than go for a new 530/45 ...I felt that the Acura TL was simply a better value. I am very happy with the car, despite a problem with bluetooth, I suggest the Sony E ..works great. The great part of the deal is that..the TL..is about 20K less than the BMW.

JE

JME
  • Options
    wr_gwr_g Member Posts: 33
    I had a salesman in NJ tell me on Friday that the black interior really doesn't get any hotter than the quartz. Of course the black interior was available and the quartz was not. I have no doubt that if the quartz was available and the black was not, he would have made a big deal out of the fact that the quartz interior was better in summer.

At the risk of sounding cynical, I think a salesman will say just about anything to get you to buy a car. Even a ridiculous comment such as that a black interior doesn't get any hotter than a light interior. That said, I went for the black interior since it was available. Also, I think black looks the best of all the interior choices and summer heat is not as much of an issue in NJ.
  • Options
    aries1aries1 Member Posts: 11
    I can share my experience regarding color. I've got my TL on May 10 and just came back from a long trip from Columbus, Oh to Orlando, Fl (spent a week at Disney Resort with my child), from Orlando to Daytona Beach and back to Columbus. I have black/black TL. I did not have a problem with a black interior at all. The climate control system is awesome and I felt very comfortable all the way and driving in Florida as well. The whole trip was very easy, thanks to climate control, comfortable seat position and a great Navi system which guided) me from my home to Caribbean Resort at Disney World (just input a phone number of the place and got a destination set up). Black interior looks great, so go for it.
    Good luck.
  • Options
    maddawgmaddawg Member Posts: 3
    I bought my car from Jeffrey Acura in Roseville, Michigan. Internet salesman very nice. No jerking you around.
  • Options
    I did test drive the 6 speed TL. In fact I test drove it at 2 different dealers, and was split between the 6 speed TL and the 6 speed Infinity G35. I've read the reviews about torque steer and front vs. rear drive. My opinion is that both the TL and G35 are excellent vehicles, and it comes down to personal preferences re style, handling, value and perception. I don't feel FWD or torque steer in the TL is an issue at all. The car is a standout in town and on the highway. I do think you should find a dealer who will let you test drive the 6 speed manual, if he has one in stock, and if he refuses, pass on him and buy from one who will. Good luck.
  • Options
    I have Anthracite with black interior and I live in the south. It's not even an issue because the Air Conditioner works so fast in the Acura any way.
  • Options
    Now that I have a little over 2 weeks and 1,200 miles on my TL 6-speed w/ HPT, I'd offer the following observations relative to my driving impressions.

(1) Torque steer, in my opinion, can be an issue and it has required some adjustment in my driving style. ANY time I am accelerating at an above average pace, I feel I need to have both hands on the wheel, especially if there is any curve in the road. For example, a particular entrance ramp to the DC Beltway I travel frequently has a relatively sharp curved cloverleaf and relatively short merge lane. Attempting to accelerate hard in the last part of the curve while also shifting is a bit squirrely. Fortunately, the TL's power is sufficient to get up to merge speed quickly on the straightaway part of the merge lane. But with my former Honda S2000, I NEVER felt the need to have both hands on the wheel and, therefore, shifting during hard acceleration was a much more pleasant and controlled experience.

(2) Tracking/steering: Slightly better than my Nissan Maxima, but not in the league of the BMW "sport" models. I have noticed the need for more input than I would like to maintain a straight line. And the steering is relatively vague and insulating.

(3) Handling / Body Roll: Again, better than my 10 year old Maxima, but not quite as good as I would have expected. I also routinely drive a twisty section of Rock Creek Park through DC. According to some test reviews of the TL that I read, it has been rated as high as 0.89 g's in lateral acceleration. That compares to about 0.80 for my 1995 Maxima SE and 0.90 for my former S2000. I haven't tested the limits of any of these cars, but in my daily driving, the TL feels a lot closer to the Maxima than the S2000. By a large margin.

My bottom line is that the TL is a very good (perhaps about the best) handling FWD 3,500 lb sedan. Obviously, it is no 2,800 lb sports car. But it's not a 3-series or 5-series sports sedan either. As for the G35, I don't put it in the same league as BMW, and consider the TL more competitive with it, RWD vs. FWD notwithstanding. What the TL gives up in handling, it makes up in it's much smoother, higher revving engine.

This is not intended to be a criticism of the TL. It is, indeed, magnitudes above the generic FWD Camy like sedans filling our highways. And the 6-speed is crisp, the Brembo brakes excellent and the refinement of the car exceptional. For our needs, it fits the bill very well. I miss my S2000, but at least I can talk to my wife in the passenger seat without shouting and I can cart the kids along in the rear. If others can squeeze into a 330i, that is worth considereing. But a G35 isn't, in my opinion.
  • Options
    I live in GA, so summer temps are a big deal to me too. I opted for the quartz (gray) interior b/c I thought it looked a little more upscale and stylish but also b/c I didn't want to burn my legs on the black leather. Obviously, the interior is hot after the car sits outdoors for a while, but the seats do not scald or seem nearly as hot as cars with black leather interiors I've sat in. But, unfortunately, I cannot make a direct comparison b/n the quartz and ebony interiors of the TL.
  • Options
    I think you must mean MSRP, not invoice? There is no dealer in so. cal who is willing to sell the TL w/ navi for close to invoice ($32,120).

Most of the dealers I have talked to have quoted me the $35,195 price.

I'm wondering if we might see some better prices near the end of June as it's the end of the quarter for honda?
  • Options
    As you all know, the SE T608 is the only phone out there right now for Sprint with Bluetooth (BT). There is no word out there as to when Sprint will get a new BT phone and I am very anxious since my car is going to be ready in the next week or so. Does anyone have any comment on the performance of this phone, in general. Most importantly, how does this phone perform with the TL, since it's the only BT phone on the Sprint network. Thanks in advance for all your comments.
  • Options
    Dan, you might want to try to post your question in the "Problems and Solutions" forum rather than this one, which is intended for "Prices Paid & Buying Experience."

But, sorry I can't help you with your question...I don't use Sprint or the SE T608.
  • Options
    Thanks---Will Do
  • Options
    oidvoidoidvoid Member Posts: 25
    Thanks, habitat1. This is the kind of report that makes these forums extremely useful for one like me who is seriously considering both the TL and the G35.
  • Options
    bjk2001bjk2001 Member Posts: 358
    I am looking for a basic TL with Auto in So Cal. Anyone got any good deal in So Cal. : )
    Thanks!
  • Options
    aaarghaaargh Member Posts: 230
    I test drove both the TL and the G35 before buying the TL. My impressions of the G35:

Excellent handling and balance (test drove the AWD version).
    Good acceleration (better than the TL).
    Sparse interior (compared to TL) - cheap plastic.
    Comfortable seats but not as comfortable as the TL.
    Exterior styling not as good as TL - actually kind of boring.
    Better storage space than the TL.
    Smaller than the TL.
    Rear set headroom is POOR.
    Sound system not as good (even with the upgraded system).

Overall, I think the G35 is an excellent car. It's more performance driven, like a BMW. For me, I wanted a good performing car with refinement (luxury). The TL is more refined than the G35 by a far sight. One look at the interior of the TL should tell you that.

Lastly, VALUE. The G35 was 2K - 3K more expensive with fewer features. Given what I was looking for, the TL gave me what I wanted (actually more) for 3K less.

I can't tell you which to buy because it depends on what's important to you. If you want a good mix of performance and luxury, the TL is the way to go in my humble opinion.

I've had my TL for 6 weeks and love it. No problems of any kind.

Good luck and let us know what you pick!
  • Options
    oidvoidoidvoid Member Posts: 25
    Wow, all kinds of good information here! Thanks, aaargh. The more research I do, the more I am leaning toward a TL. BTW, if I were to get a G35, it would be the coupe. I may end up waiting for the '05s to come out (both cars), unless a really great end-of-model-year deal presents itself. Will let you know what happens.

oidvoid
  • Options
    aaarghaaargh Member Posts: 230
    If you get the G35 Coupe, I hope you won't need to put anybody in the back seat. Though I test-drove a sedan, I sat in the coupe in the showroom. Better styling than the sedan, BUT....

I found it very difficult to get into the back seat (poor access). When I got there, the headroom was even worse than the sedan. I'm only 5'7" and I had to slouch. Even then my head was firmly planted into the headliner, with the seat reclined. Not to belabor the point, but I have never been in a car with less rear headroom than the G35 coupe.

You should visit the TL vs. G35 forum of Edmunds.Com (gregory28 "Infiniti G35 vs. 2004 Acura TL" Oct 19, 2003 12:18am) if you haven't already. Lots of talk there about this subject.
  • Options
    Put a deposit in at a local dealership in Groton, CT for them to search for a 6MT in my color choice for me... gave them the choice of Blue, Anthracite, or Red... no go. Dealer just called back a day later that they can't locate one that isn't already sold.

Looks like I'll be waiting... really don't want to give up on a color combo I'd be happy with.

-Steve
  • Options
    I hear the TL w/o Nav is going for about 31.7k but there is hardly any discount off of MSRP on the w/Nav model. I have gotten internet quotes for full MSRP (35,195) with some extras thrown in such as the "pro pkg".

I am also looking for a good deal on a TL w/nav. Any users who could give the prices paid and dealers to go to would be greatly appreciated for the So. Cal. area.
  • Options
    I got a TL 6-speed w/nav for $1,000 over invoice ($2,080 off MSRP) in Pennsylvania. I hear prices are very high in California, but GX470's are heavily discounted there. Perhaps I could get a TL for you, drive it to California and drive a GX470 back? Well, maybe not. Perhaps 25 years ago, but I think I'm a bit old for that now.

On the other hand, you could probably ship a TL from PA to California for around $900. That's what I was quoted on a GX470. Or you can wait for the 2005's and hope they increase navigation production, as has been indicated. That should help negotiation power.
  • Options
    rainmakerrainmaker Member Posts: 5
    habitat; I live in the DC area can you recommend a dealer for the TL and the price you paid? TIA
  • Options
    toby1toby1 Member Posts: 1
    picking my TL up today....auto / no nav /.....anthro/camel
    ....paying invoice...30300 + tax......all the dealers on Long Island have too many non Navs and are willing to let them go at invoice, no problem.
  • Options
    Hi,

You are on the same page as me, actually I am in the middle of getting quotes from Pittsburgh area dealers. I've got the TL w/Nav plus pro pkg for $34.5 on my first inquiry. I'm looking to get the dealer down to about $32k if possible.

Do you have any one who you can reccommend in the Pittsburgh area?

I will have the car shipped to me.

Thanks
  • Options
    For that price,

I would be interested in buying also, could you send me the dealers name who quoted you that price?

Thanks
  • Options
    smd5smd5 Member Posts: 18
    Toby1 - Which LI dealer did you use? Any one better than the other? Looking to close a deal within a week on a Non Nav car.
  • Options
    toby2toby2 Member Posts: 1
    I used Hillside Acura for the final deal....you can also get free oil changes for 4 years.....Island Acura is also good, they gave me the same deal over the internet but I went with Hillside because it was closer to home.
  • Options
    my1stsuv1my1stsuv1 Member Posts: 19
    Anyone has buying experience in Seattle or Bellevue, WA? I am looking for a TL (5-AT) with Nav for my wife. Thanks.
  • Options
    tburntburn Member Posts: 8
    I am pretty much set on getting a new TL. I got a quote of $31,595 (w/o nav) and a lease payment of $478. 3yr/12k. My brother just got a Buick Ranier for $34,300 (GM Discount) 3yr/12k and a lease payment of $390. I doesn't seem that the Ranier would have that much higher of a residual value and with the cost of money about the same for GMAC and Honda, it just doesn't add up. Why would the TL payment be so much higher when the deal is $2,700 less? Any insights would be great. Thx!
  • Options
    btp205btp205 Member Posts: 9
    Hello everyone, I just wanted to thank all the responses here as I have lurked on this site for about 2+ months. I just got a TL, anthracite with ebony, 6 sp w/navi for 33.5. I also had the dealer switch out the EL42s as I had read so many bad things about them, to the Bridgestone LS-Z for the included price. Also got the protection package thrown in. The Springfield Acura in MO was good to deal with, they are charging 195 in doc fees, I didn;t haggle too much as the above car is the only one I wanted and dealers in the midwest had only a few of these cars
  • Options
    mburlesnmburlesn Member Posts: 9
    I can give you a little insight on your lease amount as I just went through this process myself with Acura. FYI, your residual for non-nav at 12K per year should be around 54%. During my process of negotiation with Acura for a new TL I discovered lots of hidden fees and extra charges you probably aren't getting with the GM lease. You may also have a better money factor with them.

I would suggest you ask for the cap. cost, money factor and overall lease charge to determine how good your deal really is. Whenever I asked for that info from Acura, my sales person simply tried to divert the conversation to the monthly payment. I found they were consistently $80 to $100 more per month when compared to some online calculators or other car dealers for comparatively priced cars. They were even way off of what the calculator on Acura's web site figured. Take my advice, and stay away from talking about your monthly payment especially when it comes to leasing.

There are a couple of good websites out there that can really be helpful when it comes to leasing.

www.leasecompare.com
    www.leaseguide.com

The 2nd site will let you calculate for free but also has a lease kit for $20 which gives you access to a multitude of valuable resources. I really learned a great deal about leasing and how to negotiate.

Hopefully this stuff helps you.
    Good luck!