Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Acura TL Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    bongojeanbongojean Member Posts: 1
    I feel so ripped off living in Hawaii. There is only ONE Acura dealer here so there is no competition. I test drove one & they refuse to go below MSRP....so my quote w/ tax + fees came out to be $35,000 w/ the protection package. They think they're giving me a great deal bc actually, they markup their cars about $4,000 so it should have been $39,000! And this is for a non-navi TL! Its a take it or leave it situation.
  • Options
    vexedvexed Member Posts: 14
    The price we pay for living in Paradise :( I was wondering how much over MSRP they were asking. I ran by their Honda store this morning, they are marking up Pilots 5K over MSRP. I learned that you can buy a car in Washington state and they will not charge you any tax if it is being immediately shipped out.
  • Options
    vtec_2003vtec_2003 Member Posts: 2
    where did you get such a low apr? can i get it now through American Honda Finance or is it from a local Florida bank? The best I have seen is 3.49% for 60 months through Pentagon Federal credit union. Excellent bargaining skills on your part.Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    mdhaukemdhauke Member Posts: 202
    You got to take that low interest rate into the dealer and challenge them to beat it. That's what I did with my Pentagon Federal loan. I had the check ready to go and they came back and offered me a half a percentage point better loan so I took it. Of course if your credit is not good Pentagon Federal might be your best choice out there.
  • Options
    03oddity03oddity Member Posts: 60
    An L.A.-area dealer emailed me to say that their one in-stock 2004 TL 5AT Navi sold last night for full MSRP.

They had been willing to give me a whopping $500 discount since I work nearby and would have had it serviced there. They wanted to charge extra for the protection package, which would have put it pretty much right back at MSRP.

BTW, I got quotes as low as $1700 under sticker for non-Navis, which makes that little in-dash doodad--about to become obsolete thanks to the new RL--cost $3200+.

HellOOO!!! The only thing that's going to get prices down is when folks start refusing to pay full Monroney! Can you say "walk out of the dealership"? (These must be the same people who are tripping over each other to pay $1 million plus for shacks.)

oddity
  • Options
    dannodamandannodaman Member Posts: 2
    What do you guys think is the best price out there for a new TL Auto w/ Navi in Los Angeles/Orange County area? Do you think asking for $36,000 OTD is possible? I was thinking of that price, including the Protection Package (Mud Guards, Wheel Locks, Trunk Tray, and floor mats) sounds good. What do you guys think? If I finance with them (with a good rate of course), do you think they'll budge? Thanks.
  • Options
    03oddity03oddity Member Posts: 60
    No.

But seriously--read my post above. Even the USAA Buying Service says they are having a hard time getting more than a few hundred off the Navis.

I personally don't think in terms of "out the door" price--IMO it's better to negotiate up from invoice (or in the case of Acura, down from MSRP, unfortunately). Since sales tax and DMV are based on the selling price of the car, the price before TTL is what determines the "OTD" price anyway, so long as you don't let the F&I guy sell you any useless junk.

Analyzing your $36K--subtracting $500 for DMV and dividing by 1.0775 to account for Orange County sales tax--you are proposing a price of $32,947 before TTL. That's $827 over invoice--a generous profit margin since there is also a 3% holdback. But the dealers want $2500-3000 over invoice. You can see how far apart those numbers are.

I'm waiting awhile. I'm thinking you will be too. ;-)
  • Options
    checkerscheckers Member Posts: 2
    In LA/OC, I got offered 30,950 (including dest charge of 545) no navigation with protection package. Anyone get lower? And where?
  • Options
    dannodamandannodaman Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the detailed info, oddity... Waiting for a while sounds like a pretty good idea. I'm working with Thomas Acura, Weir Canyon, Downey, and Tustin. We'll see which one budges (if any) this weekend...
  • Options
    cjs2002cjs2002 Member Posts: 341
    what is this protection package? I keep hearing about it but don't know what it actually intitles
  • Options
    checkerscheckers Member Posts: 2
    Protection pkg should include wheel locks, trunk tray, splash guards, and all season floormats
  • Options
    igibanigiban Member Posts: 530
    And when you get a TL quote, does it typically include those or not? Or is it more of a dealer's tool in an exchange for a higher price than one desired by a buyer?
  • Options
    jets613jets613 Member Posts: 8
    Anyone have any idea what the residual values are currently for a nav tl. I would be interested in 36,42,& 48 month residuals.

Thanks.
  • Options
    dtate99dtate99 Member Posts: 122
    It is variable whether the protection package is included, but certainly the dealer will not just voluntarily throw it in at no cost. Usually this is done by the dealer to keep the sale of the car high while compromising and giving in on items that do not cost that much for the dealer to provide but at no cost to you.
  • Options
    A better person to ask would be Carman at this link regarding lease questions:

"Lease Questions - Ask Here" May 13, 2004 3:54pm
  • Options
    hall53hall53 Member Posts: 4
    Here's the deal I'm told I'm getting Saturday:

4 year lease with 18k miles/year
    443.43/month
    No Money Down, no fees, and dealer pays my 1st month. I said "47 payments of 443/month?" and the dealer said yes.

How are these guys going to try to get more out of me? Everything is verbal so far and they make it sound really simple. This deal was offered after a week of negotiating and pitting one local dealer against another. What questions should I be asking Saturday?

Thanks,

Steve
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,422
    This seems awfully cheap. The extra 3000 miles per year over a 15K/yr lease usually add at least $25/mo. to the payment.

Not sure what to watch out for, except that I wonder if it includes tax.

All that aside, I'm not sure I would want to lease a car for 72K miles. One of the advantages of a lease, is getting out of it without a lot of extra maintenance expenses. You'll have a 60K service ($700-800), probably brakes, and two sets of tires. Plus you will be out of warranty for 22K miles.

Before you pull the trigger, find out how much more for a 36 month lease. I've done two 18K mile leases through AHFC, but I've never gone for more than 36 months.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    wr_gwr_g Member Posts: 33
    I'm considering getting the body side molding on the TL. I was able to see it on the Acura site but not at the dealer.

Has anyone added or seen this option on the TL and, if so, what do you think?
  • Options
    boomer4593boomer4593 Member Posts: 2
    I want to buy an TL, but the nearest dealer is about an hour and a half away....Would you buy a new car without a dealer close by???
  • Options
    1violinist1violinist Member Posts: 338
    You still can do all maintenance jobs at any Honda dealer closer to you.
  • Options
    jps2417jps2417 Member Posts: 1
    I'm awaiting arrival of a TL (Black/Black/NAVI/6SM) ordered mid-april. The dealer couldn't locate one regionally, so it's being built. It's mid-may and still no word. The dealer estimated 3-4 weeks. Is this about the norm, or will it be closer to 6-8 weeks...
  • Options
    See my message in "Accessories and Modifications" #56. But, to answer your question, I do like it on my car. I think it makes the car look subtly more sporty without making it look like it just came back from auditions for "The Fast and the Furious, Part 3".
  • Options
    bobbyzbobbyz Member Posts: 7
    I just leased a 2004 TL 5AT no navi, Desert Mist Metallic/parchment; 4 years and 12,000 mi/year;
    with protection package - wheel locks, trunk liner, mud guards and all weather mats, paid only first month and MVB fee up front. Deal is for $425/month (including tax) from Sussman Acura in Jenkintown, PA. Pleasant experience. Highly profesional sales rep. I drove 45 miles from my home after shopping around for best offerin NJ and PA. I think I did ok. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    hall53hall53 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for replying. It is Saturday and we do have a new anthracyte Acura TL in the garage. I was nervous that the dealer would come up with some unexpected fees at signing. I was especially nervous when I saw the salesperson was walking with a cane which I had never seen before. I did negotiate an extended warranty for 5 years and 75k miles which is refundable if no warranty claim is filed between 50K and 75K miles. Unlike warranty extensions after an initial warranty is in effect, this one covers both mechanical and electrical failure. I feel pretty good about the deal especially the fact that I won't have to concern myself with mile overage.

Thanks again,

Steve
  • Options
    altaegoaltaego Member Posts: 2
    black with camel leather, 6M, non-nav, $32,200 with wheel locks, floor mats, and trunk mat out the door. reasonable financing for a first time car buyer, Sterling McCall Acura, Houston, Texas.

Love it, what a sweet car.
  • Options
    klee3klee3 Member Posts: 57
    I also live in the Houston area and I'm interested in buying a TL. May I ask you what the driveout price was?
  • Options
    habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    Vin # was faxed to me & car should be at dealership late this week. It's a 6-speed Nav, HPT, for $33,303 ($1,000) over invoice. Total dealer fees for tags, etc. $155.

I'm still slightly concerned about the car's reported handling problems and will try to get a test drive of another 6-speed this week before mine arrives. As soon as I consumate the deal, I'll post the name of the dealership. Wouldn't want them getting too many calls ahead of that and get them thinking they weren't charging me enough!

Last call for opinions from 6-speed owners on the handling??
  • Options
    nova0021nova0021 Member Posts: 4
    5sp auto non-nav anthracite/Camel in the south-east. The price was $30,500 including destination charge + TTL + $400 dealer fee. Thanks Edmunds and fellow TL owners here.
  • Options
    Wow! What a deal...you got your car for only $200 over invoice! Where did you get it? What state?
  • Options
    igibanigiban Member Posts: 530
    Should some of the $400 'dealer fees' add to the $30,500 tag, despite still a good deal?
  • Options
    nova0021nova0021 Member Posts: 4
    I think you can get a few hundred better than what I've paid toward the end of the month. The dealer is Acura of Orange Park in Jacksonville, FL.
  • Options
    I think that's still a very good deal. Here in GA, we apparently have some of the highest "doc fees" in the country, so I come to expect an extra $250-400 in fees at time of closing, no matter how you slice and dice it. In general, I haven't heard much success in negotiating these fees, unless they are in the wastebasket category of "dealer prep fees."
  • Options
    jpiatchekjpiatchek Member Posts: 177
    Torque steer--yes. Overassisted steering-yes. Engine is too quiet and you can't hear the rpm when you let out the clutch. Needs some engine sound. Despite this, a good ride for the money. I like it. This car would not have been on my list to buy without the 6speed. Shifter is great. Go for the 6 speed. If youlike sporited driving you won't be sorry you got the 6 speed.
  • Options
    Thanks for the comments. Sounds like another test drive is in order. However, same with me regarding the 6-speed: I never remotely considered the TL prior to 2004.

Part of what makes this decision difficult is that I would be trading in my 2002 Honda S2000 (not my Maxima, which will be relocated to our second home). While the 2004 TL 6-speed may be a very good ride for the money, the S2000 is simply without peers until you get up to the $60,000 Boxster S. I know that I'm going to have withdrawl, the TL's fancy navigation system, bluetooth phone and great stereo not withstanding.

Curious as to what other cars you considered: 330i/530i, G35 6-speed, Audi, Volvo??
  • Options
    kahunahkahunah Member Posts: 448
    I share the same sentiments as Jpiatchek, except I don't mind in the least that the engine is too quiet. I found the G35's engine noise intolerable. I drive by feel anyway with occasional glances at the tach. VCS does too good a job against spinning the wheels (I override it when I'm in the mood). Also, the OEM summer tires that came with my TL 6-speed are not that impressive. Handling and control actually improved when I had my Dunlop winter performance tires on the car. Go figure.

Compared the 330i, G35, and Audi A4 before deciding on the TL. Excellent bang for the buck! In a perfect world though, the TL would be offered with SH-AWD and 6 speeds.
  • Options
    kabirentkabirent Member Posts: 1
    Just got a Black (parchment interior) with Navi and Auto + wheel locks, mats, and mud flaps for 34,100 (includes desitination). No trade in.
  • Options
    jpiatchekjpiatchek Member Posts: 177
    I sold a 98 M3 5speed to buy the Acura. It was in another leaque than the TL in terms of handling, road feel, responsiveness, and more fun than a barrell of monkeys. However, I had owned two and it was time for a change. I wanted alittle more room and the m3 was a two door and my wife wouldn't want to switch cars if I had a road trip. The TL was a good compromise. I have the 6speed and it is larger and quieter and still has some kick when I need it. My wife has an FX35 with tech package and it has to be o;ne of the best values on the market. It will flat outhandle the TL and is like a gokart on 20 inch tires. It will outhandle 95% of the sport sedans on the market. We sold a BMW 540i sport to buy it and have never looked back. I considered the G35 instead of the TL, it handled better, but I wanted a little more comfort and the interior of the G35 just didn't cut it. If I didn't have the FX, might have seriously considered the 330. ALmost bought 2003 Infiniti M45--they were selling them for $10,000 off list(about $5000 under invoice). Have owned a bunch of Mazdas, but the RX8 didn't cut it for me either. TOo small-liked my used M3 much better. Habitat, your S2000 will be hard to part with, but if you have to drive the car 20,000 miles/year and need room, maybe the change won't be too bad.---------Kahunah--agree with you on the VCS--when running hard, the VCS will kick on between shifts and actually slow the car down. It's a bear trying to accelerate from a stop and making a rt turn if you're in a hurry--the wheel gets kind of squirelly---just have to pay attention. Glad I got the HPT summer tires rather than the rotten Turanzas. Will put Pirelli snows on this winter. Hate to make anybody mad here, but I'm afraid to go drive the 300C--I might really like it and do something stupid. I have 4 show quality muscle cars right now and could be a prime candidate for the Hemi and the 340 hp. THe TL with RWD or AWD would kick butt!
  • Options
    igorigor Member Posts: 5
    I'm being quoted 34k on a TL with NAVIGATION in the New York area. How much do you thing is a good counteroffer without insulting the dealer? How about on the TL with no NAV? I'm being quoted 30,300.

Much appreciated.
  • Options
    Can't help with any direct knowledge of NY area, but $30,300 is dealer invoice price on the non-navi, so I guess you have to decide how much having the navi system is worth to you. Looks like, at present, you'd be spending an extra $3,700 dollars, whereas most parts of the country you'd be talking about $2000 - $2500.
  • Options
    Thanks. That definitely is a big difference. I mean I'd love to have the Navi but I doubt I want to pay that much more for that option.
  • Options
    rjlechrjlech Member Posts: 1
    quote by kabirent: "Just got a Black (parchment interior) with Navi and Auto + wheel locks, mats, and mud flaps for 34,100 (includes desitination). No trade in."

I am in the Chicago area as well, what dealership did you buy at? How was the experience?
  • Options
    minikinminikin Member Posts: 389
    I've seen it and haven't yet decided if I like it. I believe the car looks marginally better without it. But to my pleasant surprise it is much more well done than most body side moldings invented as an optional afterthought for cars with unprotected doors. The angle falls naturally between the styling break line through the door handles and the rocker panels which makes it look very well integrated. Bottom line, if you need it because of where you must park, don't hesitate; imho. Far, far better than door dings.
  • Options
    It seems that a lot of these internet sales consultants are unwilling to negotiate the price when you are provided a quote. Since when has buying a car become a non-negotiable proposition?
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A newspaper reporter is looking to interview people who recently bought a vehicle and considered its fuel economy as a major factor - or chose to ignore its fuel economy and bought it anyway. Please respond to pkrebs@edmunds.com with your daytime contact info and a line about your purchase decision no later than 5pm Pacific on Friday, May 21, 2004.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    renglekarengleka Member Posts: 20
    I was quoted $33,995 on TL w/ navi (as low as they said they could go) and $31,995 for non-navi but was told the non-navi was negotiable. Any thoughts on these prices in the Pittsburgh area? Anyone purchased one in this area?

I am moving to the Cleveland area so I would also be willing to shop around there but from what I've read on here it seems there aren't really any deals there either. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
  • Options
    I have a deal for a 6-speed Navi w/ HPT package for $33,400 from a PA dealer. I prefer not to say which one until I decide for sure whether or not to take the car, but suffice it to say it's from the western half of the state. Your price of $34,000 for a Navi isn't bad, but I think you could do a little better.

On a non-Navi, prices of $30,500 are apparently possible. Someone from my area (DC) went to Acura of Westchester and got one for around that price. Others have gone to central PA for deals in the $30,500 to 31,000 range.

Shap around a little more. My decision of the 6-speed needs to be made in the next day or two.
  • Options
    Thanks minikin. I happened to see a TL with the molding yesterday as I was driving by. Couldn't stop to take a closer look due to traffic but my initial impression was that it looked OK and I am considering getting it.
  • Options
    My current lease is up early July and I'm looking to buy the 2004 TL. Here's the question, do I buy a TL late June and return my lease on schedule or extend my current lease for a month or two in an attempt to get better pricing on the 2004 TL mid summer? I can only extend my current lease until Sept 6th 2004. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    go_mdx1go_mdx1 Member Posts: 135
    Within the last week, I bought a new 2004 TL with NAV for about $1500 off the sticker. Car was NOT on the lot so I probably could have done even better if that were the case. Four months ago, this price discount would not have been possible in my area. So, for "buy now or wait", better prices should be ahead. However, as the 2005's won't have any major changes, I don't expect to see a significant price drop as the 2005's come on board.
  • Options
    I've been unable to get any dealer in the NYC area to go below $30,300 on the TL without NAV. It seems to be the magic point. Is this a good price or can I haggle some more?