Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you currently drive a 2019 Ford Ranger and live in Michigan?
A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

General leasing question

joshdentjoshdent Posts: 15
edited July 2015 in General
I'm looking for some advice. I am looking at leasing a new car, and I am not sure yet exactly what I want. Because of the amount that I drive, I really need a 15k mile/yr lease. Many of the car manufactures offer a 3 yr/36k mile warranty. That would not cover the 3 yr/45k mile lease that I am looking to get. Does that mean that I should avoid leasing a car from those manufacturers? Do car manufacturers offer an add-on warranty package at additional cost to cover the remainder of the lease, or does the add-on warranty usually cover such a large additional chunk of time and/or miles that it is not worth it? I currently lease a BMW with a 4 yr/50k warranty so it was not an issue but looking at Volkswagen, Subaru, etc realized that this could be an issue. Thanks for your help!

Answers

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 119,942
    edited July 2015
    joshdent said:

I'm looking for some advice. I am looking at leasing a new car, and I am not sure yet exactly what I want. Because of the amount that I drive, I really need a 15k mile/yr lease. Many of the car manufactures offer a 3 yr/36k mile warranty. That would not cover the 3 yr/45k mile lease that I am looking to get. Does that mean that I should avoid leasing a car from those manufacturers? Do car manufacturers offer an add-on warranty package at additional cost to cover the remainder of the lease, or does the add-on warranty usually cover such a large additional chunk of time and/or miles that it is not worth it? I currently lease a BMW with a 4 yr/50k warranty so it was not an issue but looking at Volkswagen, Subaru, etc realized that this could be an issue. Thanks for your help!

We've leased quite a few cars with 36K mile warranties, and driven 48K-55K miles. I can't recall any out-of-warranty repairs, though I may have overlooked something small. Most of those were Honda leases, with a few others sprinkled in.

Generally, big repairs tend to come after 50K miles.

Some of this might be showing my personal experience, but I wouldn't bat an eye on Honda, Toyota or Nissan. VW, Ford or GM models might give me pause. Although, some of the 36K mileage makes do warrant the drivetrain for 50-60K miles..

If you find something you really want, I'd just take my chances. No point living with a car that's just a "good deal" to avoid driving a car you really want, that's only out of warranty from 36K-45K miles. For instance, if I could get a killer deal on a VW GTI for 36mo, 15K/yr, I'd grab it in a heartbeat. Easy to say, now that I only drive 11K/yr, though.. lol.

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• MichaellMichaell ColoradoPosts: 110,489
    You may also consider a Hyundai or a Kia, both of which offer 10 year warranties that will cover you bumper to bumper through the lease term. I'm in year 2 of a lease on a Hyundai (closing in on 30,000 miles) with nothing but regular maintenance having been done.

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2016 VW Jetta 1.4T SE / 2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4