Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Kia Sedona Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• boxwrenchboxwrench Member Posts: 55
    You will love your EX with 2 exceptions -- GAS MILEAGE, and GAS MILEAGE!! Very few 1st generation Sedona owners are getting any where near the EPA estimate.
    We have an 04 Sedona EX equiped like you, and we average 14-16 mpg in town, and best Hwy mpg has been 21.5. My old 88 Dodge Grand Caravan with 203K miles does better than that.
    That being said, it is a great van, and you got a great deal, as we paid more than double that and then some in Jan 04 for our van, new off the showroom floor. Not unhappy with the van, but resale value is really a BUMMER!!
    Your warranty from KIA is only about half of original for second owner, but atleast you have something.
    There have been 4 or 5 recalls on the 02-05 Sedona's, so be sure to check with Kia as to whether all have been performed on your particular KIA.
    Brakes are another issue with the 1st gen. Sedona's, but we have not had any problems in 26K miles. We also have ABS option, maybe that helps.

Good Luck, and keep reporting in.

Boxwrench
  • cajunsantafe04cajunsantafe04 Member Posts: 5
    well just tanked up and between highway and city driving with 2 kids she is getting 18.5 mpg. not bad since her old 1996 yukon was getting like 11 LOL. Plus its nice to only pay 31 bucks to fill up instead of 70. She is loving it right now, the room the ride etc.
  • dbtdbt Member Posts: 298
    Anyone know when the 07 Sedona should be out?

[not sure where to post since the old "Sedona 06+" forum was shut down]
  • nevaarnevaar Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a 2006 Sedona EX w/Power & Luxury options.
    Paid $27,300 before incentives (no trade-in).

During highway drive home, got 22.4 MPG. Found no irritating things yet. The mid-quarter windows thunk when they reach full closure and no radio scan buttons on the steering wheel, but no long drive, first impression downers yet.

:)
  • yulih73yulih73 Member Posts: 6
    Hi, Cars4mike:

I am also at Allentown and planning to buy a sedona lx. I was wondering what OTD price you got finnally from the keystone kia? thanks
  • cars4mikecars4mike Member Posts: 18
    Final price after rebates and discount, including taxes and all fees, was $21,334.76. The only option was roof rails, without the cross bars (they gave me a set off a demo).

I understand they have better deals now. Good luck!
    Thanks for your response. What was the rebate when you bought the Sedona? Was it $3000? Now the rebate is $3000. Thanks.
    The total rebate was $3,000 (2,000 customer cash and 1,000 competitive, I have a Windstar).
  • taxman4taxman4 Member Posts: 3
    samtheman,

Can you tell me what dealership you bought from? I am in KY and driving to WV might be worth it if they are willing to deal with me over the phone.
  • taxman4taxman4 Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

Does anyone have any experience with Kia Country in S. Carolina? They advertise Sedona LX's for $18,300 on ebay motors. I thought it sounded too good to be true until I saw that someone got a similar price in WV. I was thinking of holding off until more of the used '06's start hitting the market, but at that price I might buy new.
    That price is do-able for most dealers now as well, though it probably includes a competitive rebate so you will have to currently own a qualifying vehicle. I should have waited, I spent more a couple of months ago.
    Hi, cars4mike: How is your sedona doing? How is the reliability? I already talked to Keystone kia dealer and will buy the van from them. I just want to check with you about your suggestion and the dealer's service. thanks for your help.
    Well, the dealer is really top-notch when it comes to appreciating you as a customer and standing behind the sale. As you probably have read in my earlier posts, our Sedona presented quite a few problems early on. But after Keystone handled those problems, I can tell you that we are very happy with them, and the van, except for the mileage. We are getting around 14 mpg (50-50 cty/hwy). Removed the crossbars (I read somewhere they hurt mileage), but no improvement. I will be looking to Keystone for some help here if I don't see improvement before the 5000 mile service. Don't worry about buying from them, they will treat you like you matter.
    Thanks. So do you think their after-sale service is good? 14 mpg is really low. Is this just for your minivan or all sedona? it claims 18 mpg for local, 25mpg for highway. 14 mpg is not even close. Did you check with keystone about this problem?
  • standepuystandepuy Member Posts: 23
    The "Sedona 06+" forum is back - between Oct 20,06 to Nov 14,06 there were no messages. The host said something about going to other Kia forums??? and there was no message box available during that time. It really bugged me it stopped accepting entries and I would check it out now and then.
    I've entered some posts regarding the 2007 Kia Sedona Base which is the SWB.
    So go to the 06+ - there needs to be more messages from the people that were on it. :) AND anyone new.
  • touchofgreytouchofgrey Member Posts: 3
    I was ready to purchase a Sedona LX model from West Palm Beach Kia on the last day of November. I had done plenty of research prior to entering the agency. However, all the salespeople kept trying to push an EX model, although all our budget was more attuned to the LX.

To make a long story short - the Sales Manager ended up being extremely rude and nasty (in front of my wife and 7 year old son), basically called me a liar in front of a bunch of people and couldn't understand how I could turn down his "incredible" offer (which was significantly higher than discussed with the Internet Manager). For the past two weeks I have attempted to meet with the General Manager to discuss, but he refuses to return my phone calls and emails.

Finally, I have contacted Kia Customer Service Headquarters in California this afternoon to report the behavior of this dealership. Although I know that every dealership is independently owned and operated, and that they have little ability to directly affect an individual dealer, I hope that Kia leadership can have a chat with the owners of the dealership to at least offer an apology.

Will post if anything comes of it.
  • dpughdpugh Member Posts: 14
    simply put.............walk away. Remember the old saying 'customer service'????? Given the warranty issue with kia, ie that they do not actually honor the warranty, without a fight that is!!!! your first point of contact will always be the dealership, and if that was your first impression then do yourself a big favor, walk away. There will always be another dealership...........with customer orientated staff!!!!! Good luck
  • scootzeaglescootzeagle Member Posts: 2
    I absolutely loathe buying cars, simply because I always end up wondering if I got the best deal. This forum is great, and it appears to me like the dealer could do better on this price...your thoughts appreciated!

2006 Kia Sedona LX

Selling Price: $24,450
    Florida Tire Fee: $5.00
    Florida Battery Fee: $1.50
    Pre-Delivery Fee: $499.00
    Sub Total: $24,955.50

State Sales Tax: $1547.33
    MVWEA: $2.00
    Tag: $240.00

Total Cash Delivery Price: $26.744.83

Down Payment: $3000
    Kia Rebate: $2000
    Total Down Payment: $5000

Balance to be financed: $21,744.83

My bank will give me a 6.5% loan for 60 months, so dealer financing isn't an issue...

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott
  • scootzeaglescootzeagle Member Posts: 2
    The price of $24, 450 includes adding leater seats, which they are valuing at $1250.

Thanks,

Scott
  • joancjoanc Member Posts: 26
    Hi Scott..
    ...that really does sound high to me for an LX, even with leather seats. I really, really think you can do better. Around here (in Kansas City), '06 Lx's (without leather) can be purchased for around 19K, and slightly used for $17K. I wouldn't pay more!
    Hello Scott - Dealers here in PA are advertising LX's with no extras for 18,974 for after all rebates/incentives. So maybe start there, plus cost for your leather? I took in the Edmunds invoice pricing, and my dealer was cool with that, just had a "marketing allowance" of a little over $400 that checked out to be legitimate. Even if it wasn't, I am not against them making a few bucks, just not taking me for a ride. Lastly, don't get too caught up in getting the "absolute best deal". I got the best deal I could get at the time, and a month later, the rebates were better. Good luck!
  • mazdax605mazdax605 Member Posts: 89
    Hello all,

We just test drove a brand new 06 LX at our local dealer.It was a nice shade of blue(I think Glacier blue is the name),and it really surprised us.We loved how the car ran,and the price seems good for what you get for features,and safety equipment.

The salesperson quoted us $20500 for the car,and taold us they could take our Subaru Forester that we are leasing,and have 9 months left on as a trade-in,and they will give us enough to payoff the remainder of the payments,and the residual.

The salesperson claims the price they quoted is $700 under invoice plus the $2000 rebate Kia is offering.How does this deal sound?I know Kia Country is selling at $18300 on ebay,but we live in MA,and the possible savings may not be worth the long trip,plus I am a bit skeptical about the deal they are offering on ebay.

How will the Kia compare to our Subaru which has been nothing short of flawless for the 27 months we have owned it?How is Kia for standing behind the car,and thier warranty?

We are confused as to what to buy,as we ave options of really good deals on Chryslers due to my employee incentive program,and there seems to be a lot of used certified pre owned Hondas around here in our price range.Thanks in advance.

Chris
  • roburgroburg Member Posts: 4
    I was sold on Kia, until I stumbled on their current financing deals, which end tomorrow.

Toyota is currentlyt offering 0.0% financing for 60 monhts on 2006 Sienna's. What does this mean, well it means that if you geta Sienna CE OTD for $24K with worth $20,690 today, once you consider the "free money" versus 6% financing.

Sue, the LX has a couple features teh CE doesn't, so what I will tell you is spend a little more and upgrade to a LE Sienna - you will still spend less and get a better car because of the financing. Do the math, get a Sienna, get the financing, and make out like a BANDIT!!!!
  • newportdaddenewportdadde Member Posts: 1
    We recently picked up a new 06 Sedona.
    MSRP: 24,025

We got the deal for 17,000 no other fees, doc fees, processing fees etc. With trade-in(got within 100 bucks of kbb trade-in value) and some cash down we floated the remainder of about 10k for 5.8% 60 months.

I feel pretty good about this deal, I had three salesmen made at me so thats probably a good sign.
  • philtymcnastyphiltymcnasty Member Posts: 1
    Wow $17,000 seems like a really good deal. How did they arrive at that number? What was the rebate and dealer discount?

The best I seen for January in my area is around $18,900 that includes $4000 rebate and $1035 in dealer discount.
    Looks like there are lots of LX's out there now. Gateway Kia in Quakertown, PA has an ad in today's (1/6) paper for 14,907. No mention that it is a demo, of cash or trade needed, or of "must finance through dealer" in the disclaimer, just all rebates and incentives to dealer. Probably a catch, but still indicative of great deals out there now.
    Looks like there are lots of LX's out there now. Gateway Kia in Quakertown, PA has an ad in today's (1/6) paper for 14,907. No mention that it is a demo, of cash or trade needed, or of "must finance through dealer" in the disclaimer, just all rebates and incentives to dealer. Probably a catch, but still indicative of great deals out there now.

Here's the ad itself. Looks like a great deal. Dealers in my area are at about $17,500.

Gateway Kia ad
  • typer_801typer_801 Member Posts: 29
    I thought I was getting a good deal when my local dealer verbally accepted an offer $7000 off a new EX ($4K rebate, $3K discount), but with the Quakertown Kia deal above, I'm wondering if I left money on the table. $14900 is a steal!!!
  • jjburakjjburak Member Posts: 2
    I actually called the Quakertown dealer. The Sedona for $14,900 is a program car. I did not ask him how many miles.

Nationwide Kia in Baltimore has an ad that I'm skeptical about. They have a $24.035 MSRP Sedona that they raised to 28,189 cause of so called dealer addons. Now they are offering $4000 rebate, a $6000 Nationwide Discount and a $6000 guarantee trade in which brings it down to about $12,200. Anyone ever seem something like this?
    I've been trying to figure out how dealers could discount the new Sedona's so much, so I decided to itemize everything based on the conversations I've had with the Sales Manager at one dealership to show what the lowest possible price one could get with the dealership not loosing money on the deal (just breaking even).

This should provide you the ability to better negotiate a deal on a remaining 2006 model. It helped my get my base EX for $7405 off MSRP. Here goes...

2006 Kia Sedona EX Pricing Anatomy
    Basic Pricing
    $26,495 Total MSRP
    $700 Destination
    $25,795 MSRP (excl Dest)
    $24,333 Invoice (excl Dest)

Incentives
    $(4,000) Factory Rebate
    $(1,000) Factory to Dealer Incentive (unpublished)
    $(5,000) Total Guaranteed Incentives
    $(750) Factory to Dealer Spiff per Unit over Quota (unpublished)
    $(5,750) Total Potential Incentives

Dealer Discounts -- Maximum Discounts Dealers can make and still "break even"
    $(1,462) Invoice Discount (base MSRP minus Base Invoice)
    $(730) Dealer Holdback Discount (3% of base Invoice)
    $(213) Optional (Finance Discount for using dealer financing)
    $(2,405) Maximum Dealer Discount

Theoretical Best Price
    $26,495 MSRP
    $(5,000) Guaranteed Incentives
    $(2,405) Dealer Discount
    $(7,405) Total Discount
    $19,090 Best Consumer Price w/o ($750) Spiff
    $18,340 Best Consumer Price w/($750) Spiff
    typer_801,
    Thanks for the info on the extra $1k incentive and the $750 spiff. I had gotten quotes more than $5k below invoice, and that helps explain it.
    Great research. Maybe you can start your own site. Anyone else wondering "Where the hell is Edmunds" on this stuff"?

Looks like I could have scored an EX for just pennies more (if not the same) than the LX price I paid. Next time, I'll know to dig a little deeper. I have always said in this thread that I don't mind if the dealer makes a profit as long as I don't leave a lot of money on the table. It appears I missed my mark...
  • cdhermancdherman Member Posts: 5
    I am in KC. I am slated to buy a base model LX, with no other options for $17000 tomorrow. No futher fees, at least from dealer.

I went into the process thnking that 18k would be a decent deal. I got cold feet when I learned that the Sedona I wanted was made in 2/06, so some of the fixes (see the TSB on KIA websites) may still need to be done. I usually hate buying a vehicle the first year out.

But the dealer seemed to want to deal, and he dropped his price to $17,000 quite readily.

I think the deals you hear of for $15,000 or less are likely to have a whole lot of strings attached......

I wish I knew if the 06 Sedona is going to be reliable over time. I don't care a wit about resale, as I will drive it for 8-10 years. But I hope I don't need to use the warranty too often....
    I am in KC. I am slated to buy a base model LX, with no other options for $17000 tomorrow. No futher fees, at least from dealer.
    I went into the process thnking that 18k would be a decent deal. I got cold feet when I learned that the Sedona I wanted was made in 2/06, so some of the fixes (see the TSB on KIA websites) may still need to be done. I usually hate buying a vehicle the first year out.
    But the dealer seemed to want to deal, and he dropped his price to $17,000 quite readily.

That's about the range I've seen. As per Typer, dealer cost is around 16,2 or 16,3. The ones I've seen have 05/06 build dates. Still have to deal with some TSBs.
  • ctoner1ctoner1 Member Posts: 1
    Typer,

What area of the country are you in and what dealership did you use? Thanks
    Cincinnati, OH -- I finally bought my Sedona from Kings Kia. Although I had the same offer from Wyler Kia in Fairfield on the exact model I wanted, they just couldn't get it aligned, so I went to Kings. That ended up being a good thing, Kings Kia is a much nicer dealership. It's worth noting, the guys at Wyler Kia in Springfield were offering $8K off anything they had in stock, but I was stuck with their selection (no dealer trades) and I couldn't deal with black. FWIW - I went on the at Kings Kia website last night and they are now offering about what I paid for mine as their "internet price". Sounds like the deals are getting better as the month end approaches.
  • activecowactivecow Member Posts: 2
    I just got an internet offer from Car Pros Kia in Pomona, CA on a 2006 Sedona EX with the power package and premium entertainment package for an out the door price of $24,000. This includes the $4000 rebate and additional incentives (which I'm not sure what's included).

I've also been offered $24,600 out the door on a 2006 Sedona EX with the Power and Luxury Package.

These prices almost matches what typer_801 has outlined for the EX model.

If these are good prices I'm leaning toward the $24,000 from Car Pros just because I want the DVD system. However, is it worth getting the $24,600 luxury package and then adding a DVD add-on (Costco has a DVD add-on for $700 with 10.2" screen which includes installation)?

Thanks.
  • brian1brian1 Member Posts: 29
    Could you tell me what you ended up paying. I am also in the Cincy market and went to Kings and Fairfield and so far the best they will do is $7k off of sticker. Were you able to do any better?

thanks
    Brian
    I ended up getting my Sedona for the $19,090 price before TTL. That was on an EX with an MSRP of $26,495. Total discount $7405 (as shown above).

Email me privately for more info (typer_801 at yahoo dot com)
  • sjobs99sjobs99 Member Posts: 4
    Just wanted to thank everyone here for all the info. I'm going to do battle with a dealer in the PHX area sometime during the next few days and this info combined with all the stuff at www.carbuyingtips.com makes me feel much better prepared.

If anyone cares to share why they preferred the EX over the LX, I'd appreciate it. Unless you want the upgrade packages, is there really a reason to go there?

Thx again,
    SJ
    To me the biggest items the EX adds over the LX is foglights and 17" wheels. Some of the dealers I have been talking to the deals are not as good on the EX over the LX as the EX's are starting to get scarce and especially ones with the power package.
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    typer_801, did you buy during January?

I don't know if it would be worth waiting til February. At some point, the incentives are reduced once inventories are cleared out enough -- at least that is what I have seen in the past on other models.

It's too bad Kia isn't running its customer loyalty cash right now.
    Local dealer has 1 2006 Sedona EX left, base model plus the Power Package (power sliding doors and power liftgate). MSRP $27,265.

We mentioned trading in our 2002 Sedona EX and they 'offered' $5500 after looking it over -- AND after my wife told them what we owe on it! Oops. I think we might be able to get $7,000 for the van if we sold it ourselves, but that's about it.

Salesman offered $22,265 on the new 2006 EX -- exactly $5,000 off MSRP.

We told him that wasn't compelling enough to pull the trigger. He asked what was, we told him $20,000 on the new EX which is $7,265 off MSRP. He left his desk and came back in 5-10 minutes and said they could do that.

We are mulling it over this weekend before deciding to proceed. Not sure if we feel like taking on the cost of a new van.

Any thoughts on this deal?

We have not yet priced insurance for the 2006 EX and I am worried it will be pretty high. Although the 2002 Sedona is a safe vehicle, the insurance rate has been pretty high compare to other vehicles we have received quotes for.
    Here are the items I've observed as additional equipment included on the EX over the LX.

EX Additional Equipment:
    -Solar (Heat Rejecting) Glass
    -Alloy Wheels/Michelin Tires
    -Power Seats (Driver & Passenger)
    -Woodgrain Dash (plan black in LX is preferable IMO)
    -Auto-on Headlights
    -Fog Lights
    -MP3 Capability/Cassette Player
    -Overhead Trip Computer
    -Chrome Trim on Tailgate
    -Power Rear Vent Windows
    -HomeLink
    -AutoDimming Rear View Mirror
    -Heated Mirrors
    -Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel/Shift Knob

That's all I can remember, but there probably isn't much that's substantial beyond this. Definitely worth the extra money, but none of them are "must haves".
    another big difference is 17" wheels/tires on EX compared to 16" on the LX. This is a substantial difference as it will actually improve the ride and handling of the vehicle.
    another big difference is 17" wheels/tires on EX compared to 16" on the LX. This is a substantial difference as it will actually improve the ride and handling of the vehicle.

This is a difference, but I don't think it will improve both ride and handling. The 17" tires are lower profile, and hence should give better handling; but with less sidewall flex, will transmit more road imperfections and hence diminish ride. It's a personal choice whether the improvement in the handling outweighs the reduction in the ride.
    Does anyone know if the current Jan incentives will carry over, increase or decrease? There still seems to be a lot of inventory at dealers but most are now LX models. Not sure if I should pull the trigger on an EX now or wait till Feb. Anyone have any thoughts on this.
    good point on the ride factor- If I may add 17" wheels / tires package adds a better look over 16"
    We decided to buy a 2006 EX this month rather than waiting.

This has been my observation, generally speaking:
    Once dealers start clearing out the prior model year vehicles, incentives get better and better for a few months. At some point, inventory levels are low enough that the incentives get worse since dealers don't need to move many more units.

In the case of the 2006 Sedona, I don't know where Kia is regarding remaining inventory levels.

The January incentives are really good historically speaking on Sedona. I think they may have been better at some points on the previous generation Sedona, but $4,000 published incentive plus what seems like another $1,000 unpublished makes for pricing at $7,000+ off MSRP pretty easy right now. Things might improve for February -- maybe they will bring back their $1,000 customer loyalty and/or $1,000 competitive model rebates.

I had meant to go back thru this topic during fall 2005 / winter 2006 and see what was happening with the incentives, when they peaked, etc. But I never ended up bothering.

Too bad I haven't tracked the rebates on a monthly basis. It would be nice to see the historical trends, the months in which the incentives jump up, months when they decline, etc.
  • cdhermancdherman Member Posts: 5
    Paid $16045 for LX with roof rails, nothing else. Plus $199 doc fee. That was total. So $7801 off of MSRP.

Jack Miller Kia in NorthKC, Kansas City.