Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln LS: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    to this discussion a few weeks ago when I mentioned elsewhere that my LS was overheating.

I have a reputation as a malcontent, and it's well deserved. I bought my LS because I wanted a quasi-luxury sedan with a manual transmission, and hoped for decent reliability. My warranty ran out in June, when I hit 50K miles, with three years on the car.

The overheating "issue" turned out to be the hydraulic fan, which ran at only the lowest speed. As has been explained to me recently, the hydraulic system is preferred because it allows continuously-variable speed for the fan with relatively less noise. Excellent. However, when it breaks, it's an $800 fix. Mine broke. Yours may as well.

The other good news is that I was able to exercise my "after warranty adjustment" to get the cost down to $150.

Stay tuned.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • macwestmacwest Member Posts: 2
    My 2000 V8 LS has been exhibiting the mystery overheating recently, too. Over the past two weeks, the temp gauge would redline, the messages started beeping to check the engine temp, and the auto power reduction feature kicked in, and then all systems would return to normal. This happened 3 times.

Yesterday, after driving the car around town all morning, the temp redlined again, but did not come back down. My warranty expired in August with less than 50,000 miles. I just dropped the car off at the dealer.

What could it be? I looked up the recall info on the 2000 LS thermostats, and my build date falls within the recall timeline. The dealer flushed and replaced the fluid in my cooling system just before the temp started acting funny--could be air in the system.

We'll see how bad it is.

I want to say that my Lincoln has been trouble-free, but that hasn't been the case. This is the most recent of an annoying series of repairs made to my car in the 18 months I have owned it. (I bought my LS used.)

Although it is a dream to drive, I'm not sure that it is worth the trouble, time and money it takes.
    Please let me know if this turns out to be the hydraulic fan. I need to know what's coming up in my future.

The sad fact is that once something breaks once, it's likely to break twice. The whole rest of the car can be fine, but if one of the key systems is suspect, it's much more likely that you'll be beside the road rather than enjoying it.

Thanks in advance.
  • captaindiscocaptaindisco Member Posts: 7
    MACWEST,

I would suspect that when the dealer flushed your system, they didn't purge it properly. I had the same sysmptoms as everyone else. Had the dealer purge it and problem gone.
  • macwestmacwest Member Posts: 2
    I picked up my LS--the dealer said that I had a loose vaccum hose that was causing the fuel mixture to run lean, which in turn was causing the engine to overheat. They found this out by computer, since they could not reproduce the overheating condition. Cost $176.00 to fix, since the warranty is expired.

The car runs beautifully now.
    macwest. It's nice when simple fixes make what could be major problems go away.

I was hoping for something like a thermostat replacement for my car, but it was not to be.

Glad it worked out, and thanks for reporting back.
  • jdell1jdell1 Member Posts: 5
    Have a 00 V8 and the Hydraulic Pump for the engine fan sprung a leak (yup its hydraulic from the same folks that brought us the dip-stick-less trans) :-( Dealer quoted $450.00 for the pump with assorted plastic parts and said pump only not available. Anyone know where I can pick up a pump??
    Thanks

Jack
    info@graphics2.net
  • the_necroscopethe_necroscope Member Posts: 65
    I haven't dug into this sytem...

You sure it's the pump, not the fan's hydraulic motor? I was under the impression that the pump fed both the cooling fan and steering. Maybe not.

Anyway, check local salvage yards first, then try www.fordpartsnetwork.com
  • rgnmstrrgnmstr Member Posts: 226
    Someone posted that starting with the 2003 models the heated seats are no longer heated electricly. Just how are they heated?
    There is a debate going about this in another LS forum right now. Apparently, the '03 uses a Peltier device for both heating and cooling. The system is manufactured by Amerigon. The '04 ~may~ have been changed somewhat. We're not sure yet since there aren't a whole lot of them out there and press coverage is nil. It looks like the '04 could possibly have changed the heat mode to some kind of resistive element similar in idea to the earlier models. Personally, I don't buy it. I think the '04 still uses Amerigon's complete system.
  • lglovelglove Member Posts: 3
    I recently purchased a 2k LS 32K miles. Upon driving home from the dealer the temp gauge and message center announced the engine temp to be over-heating and loss of power. It turned out to be moisture in a connection causing a false reading. Is yours a real over-heating situation?
  • schneider11schneider11 Member Posts: 4
    I posted the original question regarding my overheating LS. It was finally fixed after stranding me 6 times. I was determined. I wish I could tell you what finally fixed it but the truth is I don't know and neither does the dealer that finally fixed it. I did not get a bill for the last time in and so don't know what was replaced. By that time I did not care, just wanted my car back and working. If you are curious about it, I will give you the name of the dealer. Please advise....I won't post it here but will send an email if you provide an address.
  • luckyme911luckyme911 Member Posts: 3
    I have read almost every customer review on this website on the 00' LS, and it appears as if rear window problems (minor detail) and overheating seemed to be common. I am looking at a 00' with 80k on it, and after reading all these posts, I'm wondering if maybe the $11,000 "deal" is really a deal. Please respond asap I am going to look at the vehicle tommorrow, hope to purchase soon, I will keep in mind every post I have read, but for everyone of you 00' LS V8 owners, should I take the chance??? Any Warnings or things I should look or watch out for would be a great help. Thanks
    The LS is no different. I've had vehicles from every American badge and the LS is the most reliable of the bunch. Even if it wasn't, it's by FAR the most satisfying to own because of it's amazingly diverse feature set. We are planning on buying another to replace my wife's Avenger. At this point, I can't imagine owning a different car. I've got 66K on mine and haven't had a problem that rated more than a minor inconvenience.
    I realize that all cars have problems, that's not my question. I purchased a 96' Olds Auroraa year and a half ago with 70k now it has 115k and the transmission is out. What I am asking is whether or not some of the 00' LS had some problems that would require high expense fixing (which I cannot afford) ie. Transmission, Engine. Thats it. I realize cars break down, I'm looking for a reliable engine and tranny, like I said in my last message, the rest are "minor details".

Anyways thanks for your advice, I just wanted to make it clear of what type of problems I DON'T want to incur and whether the LS has a common tendency to have said problems.
  • slunarslunar Member Posts: 479
    While I have heard of a few transmission failures on the LS auto trannie, my overall impression is that the transmission on the LS has better than average reliability. I know of several LS owners that have well over 100K miles on their LS's without any major problems.

Most of the complaints that I am aware of on the LS trannie have to do with shifting characteristics. There were 2 significant revisions to the PCM code (Powertrain control module software) that improve reverse engagement and the 2-3 shift. The first software update was in DEC 99, the 2nd in June of 2000, so if you buy that car you may want to check into getting the PCM reflashed.
    I test drove the vehicle today and let the guy know I would have a decision for him tomorrow. I had one question for you LS owners... This was the first LS I have driven and the ride seemed rough/bumpy. This vehicle doesn't have the sport package, so I was wondering if all LS's rode this way. It wasn't that bad, but I was wondering if this is the typical ride of the LS. I realize that the LS was designed as a luxury/sports sedan and shrugged it off as a minor detail. If this isn't common I would appreciate feedback from anyone who has time to respond. Thanks slunar and the necroscope for your comments, it's greatly appreciated!
  • brucelincbrucelinc Member Posts: 815
    Luckyme911, I would have no concerns if I were you about the engine/tranmission in the LS. The transmission is mechanically similar to the Explorer and Ranger so it is a pretty proven component. The reflashes mentioned earlier do make it shift better so make sure that has been done. My 2000 higher-mileage LS has been flawless - still very strong and smooth.

As for ride, the LS non-sport is probably a little firmer than your Aurora. However, the tires and tire pressures make a huge difference. The recommended pressure of 30 PSI is best for most "normal" driving in my opinion. You might check the pressure in the car you are considering. Also, with 80,000 miles, the tires are not likely the originals. With the 16" rims, you have a huge variety of tire choices. What brand/type of tire is on the car?
  • stlmp1plusstlmp1plus Member Posts: 1
    Our 2000 LS started overheating last spring. Repeated visits to the dealership (thermostat replacement, flush cooling system, etc.) led to $800 worth of bills and car continued to overheat. On 11/11 it blew up. Just got it back on 12/3 with $3000 worth of repairs (replaced engine with a used one with 35k miles) and coincidentally they replaced the hydraulic pump I see you are all talking about. Wish I'd known about this site 5 months ago. Think the dealer will make good on it? Why hasn't Lincoln issued a bulletin warning of this? Or have they and my dealer still blew it?
  • jrogers3jrogers3 Member Posts: 13
    I just purchased a "used" 2003 LS V8 Sport, with 8500 miles on it. Sounds too good to be true, but a CarFax states there is nothing funky going on. The dealership said that the previous owner replaces a car every year and wanted the 2004.
    Anyway, I feel I stole the car at $27000, but I'm having a problem. The other day we experienced a ton of rain. Upon getting into the car, the low door pocket near the dash was full to the brim with rain water! I scooped what I could out and went out driving in this pouring rain. As I'm driving, the frame pillar between the door and windshield begins to turn dark, obviously from water inside the pillar and then to begin dripping in my lap.

Since I've put the car through a few car washes and had no problem, I'm stumped. Any ideas?
    Do you have a moon roof on your LS?

If so what may be happening is that the drain tube on the driver's side is either clogged up with some debris or it has come off of the drain fitting on the moonroof. This would cause the water to drip down the A pillar.
    Yes, slunar, I do have a moonroof. I had that same problem with an '88 Acura Legend. I'm hoping the dealer can find the prob. Do you or anyone know of a recall?
    therefore no recall.

Possibly a service bulletin, however.
  • dfaulk01dfaulk01 Member Posts: 2
    All, I am new to the board so please bear with me because my post might be long.

Need some ideas and advice on how to get my problem resolved with the dealer.
    I took my 2000 LS V8 with 80000 miles, to dealer to fix some obvious problems.
    Driver door handle broke.
    Air bag icon in dash stays on.
    Rain sensor wipers intermittently don't work
    Air Filter indicator remained on after they supposedly replaced it during routine maint.

Apparently, in order to stop the air bag icon from displaying they have to replace a wire under the driver seat. To do this they had to take out the front driver seat. In doing so, the tech broke a motor or something to where the seat no longer moves up and down. The Service Mgr is denying that his tech broke this and wants me to pay for this $300.00 motor. He keeps stating that my car is way out of warranty and that things break and that there is NO WAY that this seat went up and down before the tech took it out. I told him I don't care if I had 150000 miles on the car, when I left my vehicle with them that seat was completely operational. The Service Manager and General Manager stated flat out that they would not pay for this and have called the Service Rep in. It is basically their word against mine but I will take this issue to court if I have to.
    The Service Rep is to call me later today. If I get no resolution from her what is my next step? Does she have a boss? Do I called the Ford center? Small Claims if I have to pay for this to get my money back?

Your advice would be much appreciated!

Denise
    As far as I know a leaking moonroof on a LS is a rare occurance therefore there is no TSB or recall. There has been only 1 recall on the LS since it was introduced. The recall affected 2000 LS's built during a 3 month period. The recall was for possible improper torqe on the front lower ball joint bolts.

The problem I described is applicable to all cars with moonroofs. In 4 years of following the LS on Edmunds and other sites I have only heard of a 1 or 2 others with your problem.
  • rfdevil1rfdevil1 Member Posts: 43
    My first call would be to Ford's quality care. You can get their number off of Ford's own website(try pasting this in your browser http://www.qualitycareservice.com/default.asp?page=M1.) I just went through a less severe issue with my Expedition in a defective windshield issue that I was told was out of warranty. They were very helpful and understanding. They contacted the dealer while I was on hold and we got the issue resolved. They also helped with a financing issue (the rates changed and dealer would give us the rate they verbally agreed to) with the same dealer when we purchased the Expedition. We got results from that call too. I'm not saying your issue will definitely get resolved but I will say that the dealers definitely pay attention when they get a call from Ford.

Good luck and hopefully you won't have to go the legal route.
    slunar...thanks for the info. The dealer farmed out my leak to the Water Doctor. He was able to drive the car to his shop, and fix the problem in 45 minutes. Apparently the moonroof drain hose shrinks a little in the cold and pops off the fitting, causing a backup of water. He added some length to it which should take care of the prob. He's done this fix on a few late model LS's. Strangely, it has only been the passenger side.

Has anyone out there been given crap from a dealer not wanting to give a loaner car if you didn't buy the car from them?? I have experienced this B.S. and tempted to call FMC.
    Glad to hear you got your problem fixed. Sounds like it may be a bit more common a problem than I thought.

You probably won't have much luck complaining to Ford about the loaner car. IIRC Lincoln's official policy is that Lincoln dealers must provide alternate transportation. Loaner cars are not mandatory. Many Lincon dealers seem to use this policy to rub it in your face if you didn't buy your car from them. I wonder what the policy is with other luxury brands?
  • carjimcarjim Member Posts: 155
    At the BMW dealership where I work part-time as a courtesy driver, you only get a loan car (always a BMW) if you bought the car from them.
    I haven't yet poured through the owners manual yet, but an odd thing is happening with my heated seats. The drivers side seat heater stays on for about 90 seconds and turns itself off. The passenger side stays on as long as you want it to. Any advice?
    jrogers3, I can remember a couple of other LS owners who had the same problem you described, that is one of their heated seats would only stay on for a short time. IIRC the fix was pretty simple, but its been a while & I can't remember what the exact cause of the problem was.
    I know I sound like a complete idiot...but what is IIRC?
    stands for "if I remember correctly," IIRC. Also in common use in these parts is YMMV, which is "your mileage may vary," which I usually take to mean an expressed opinion is probably different from the one belonging to the reader of the message.

And, for a stab at staying on-topic, since my LS had its cooling system trauma last summer, it's been 100% trouble-free. A bit over 60K miles and should hit 75K next year.

Stay tuned.
  • russerusse Member Posts: 7
    Denise,
    Don't know whether you got your problem with the dealer (re the seat motor) resolved or not but I have a thought on this. Often when a power seat suddenly fails to operate properly, the actual seat motor is not the problem - the culprit frequently is a switch, a connection, or a break in a wire. Considering that the
    Ford tech had the seat out of your car, I would say that something involving a connection or a wire might have caused your problem. If the seat is still not working, you might want to get a second opinion on what is causing the problem - the fix may be much cheaper than replacing the seat motor.

Russ
  • russerusse Member Posts: 7
    I guess I must be very lucky but my 2001 LS V6 Sport with manual trans has required only one repair in 65,000 miles and that was for a rear window regulator (which I hear is a common problem)last spring. Other than that, the car has run flawlessly since the day it was new and has been a dream to drive. I'm afraid I can't say the same for my '94 BMW 740i which has been riddled with problems requiring very expensive repairs over the last 6 years and still has less than 118,000 miles on it - so much for German engineering! So far I am very impressed with the quality that Ford has engineered into the Lincoln LS. Since I plan to keep the car quite a while, I hope I will still be saying this a few years from now.
  • johnsmokejohnsmoke Member Posts: 7
    The message flashed up that the AC Cabin air filter should be replaced (2000 LS V8). I replaced the filter and tried to return the filter life to 100%, but the procedure in the operator's manual (Status/Reset button) did not work. Is there something missing or incorrect in the manual, or an indicator that was not assembled correctly?
  • johnsmokejohnsmoke Member Posts: 7
    My 2000 LS V8 windshield wipers make a noisy "slap" when they near the driver's side pillar. Dealer says it's normal. Our other car doesn't make the noise. Can the stock wipers be changed to shorter units to alleviate the noise?
  • ls8ls8 Member Posts: 16
    I have a 2000 V8 non-sport that has developed noise in the rear-end. Sounds like excessive road noise, maybe a bit of a roar. It shouldn't be the tires based on mileage and type (Michelin MXV4's). Anyone know how to distinguish between true rear-end problem, tires or other?
    The OEM wipers should not slap the A-pillars at any speed setting. Could be one or more of three things: the blades were replaced with something too long (the LS uses two different sizes, though I forget which two (16 & 20?)), or someone has taken the arm off and replaced it in the wrong position, or the linkage is broken.

When the wipers are parked, do they sit on their heated rests? If not, the arm has been incorrectly installed. Can you grab the arm and rotate it more than about an inch? If so, the linkage is likely broken/worn.
  • carjimcarjim Member Posts: 155
    If a dealer told me a slap was normal, I would never go back there again. This is a premium car and it cost a premium amount of money. A customer should be treated with respect anywhere, but a premium dealer ought to prize their customers.
  • tone81tone81 Member Posts: 5
    JRogers3,

If you're still out there, I had the exact same heated seat problems. It's finally fixed now, but it took the dealer at least 3 tries to get it right. I think it ended up being related to a known recent service bulletin that required a replacement part and some re-wiring maybe? After completing the service bulletin work I had to go back again and the dealer had to trim some plastic that was heating up and causing the thermostat to shutdown the heated seats also.

I hope this helps some,
  • railroadcar1railroadcar1 Member Posts: 1
    I have an '03 LS with heated/cooled seats.
    Both the passenger and driver seats stay in the cool or heated condition for max 10 min. Then I cannot put them on again they just flash and go off. I have to stop the car and restart then they reset and go to work again for 10 min. This is not acceptable. What is wrong? Anyone know?
    Dealer not much help.
                                     Thanks
  • lobsenzalobsenza Member Posts: 619
    Try pushing the hot and cold buttons together. This should tie the seats to the temp setting on the climate control and they should never shut off.
    Thank all of you for the posts regarding my heated seats. I will try the suggested holdign of both buttons b4 I put into the dealer. Yes...this flaw IS not acceptable.
  • dspencer73dspencer73 Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2000 LS8 with 80k miles.
    I have had it in the dealer 3 times for the heat.
    1st problem heat not working well - Dealer did not find anything wrong with car.
    2nd Heat not working well and the smell of exhaust fumes. Dealer replace thermostat did not detect presence of exhaust smell.
    3rd Heat working better but not great. Then see and smell exhaust fumes coming from interior vents.
    Dealer had car for 3 days. Stated had car running for 1/2 hr with no smell and no fumes seen.

Has anyone had this problem? Any info would be appreciated.
    Thanks Dana
  • alkinardalkinard Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2001 LS Sport with the in-dash 6 CD player. The back-lighting for the entire radio/CD player head does not work. Also, the Mute Button on the steering wheel does not work. At one point,I thought I saw a discussion of these problems. If anyone has in info or fixes, I'd love to know about them.
    The head unit is scrap. It will need to be replaced.
    a known problem.

My LS didn't have it, but several that I know of did. With luck one or more of the folks who dealt with the dealers on this will post.

If your car is still under warranty, you'll need to find another dealer. If it's not, there's a remote chance that an "after warranty adjustment" (AWA) could be offered, but you'll have to find a cooperative dealer for that as well.

Good luck. Gotta love them Lincoln dealers.
  • ashford1ashford1 Member Posts: 5
    I just purchased a 2002 LS-V8 Sport. The dealer gave me four keys and three remotes. All of the keys work, but only two of the remotes work. Is there a way to program the remote without having to carry it back to the dealer? Any help will be appreciated.
  • lobsenzalobsenza Member Posts: 619
    You have to bring all 3 remotes to the dealer in order to get the 3rd one working....
This discussion has been closed.