Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

2013 and Earlier - Audi A6 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    Yeah, they offered me $500 off MSRP from the start. Once I started getting my numbers together and getting quotes, they gave me $2100 off MSRP. Now I have another dealer offering me the car as I configured it for $1000 over invoice! And that's on an order. I did some calculating and it comes out to an additional savings to me of nearly $1900! But, alas, I had already placed my order with the local dealer when I received that quote. This is on the 4.2, by the way. I'm not surprised that they are dealing on the 3.2s. Those will make up 90% of the production. The 4.2 is more "exclusive." Exclusive models aren't usually discounted.

I called the place I made the order with and told them about it. I got the typical salesman back pedaling and how they could sell the car at MSRP, blah, blah, blah... It's very tempting to take the offer, but is it worth it to be treated like a second class citizen when I take the car in for service at the local dealer? Not to mention I called the other guy back about his offer and he was sounding a little shady. It just had a bait-and-switch vibe all over it.

I'm probably still gonna get screwed on the price of this one because they dropped the Sport Package and replaced it with the S-Line package. That package doesn't include the sport seats. Pricing won't be available until Friday. I checked the European site and its pricing numbers are the same as ours here, except they're listed in euros. The S-Line package was listed for $1,910. That's more money for less equipment. You only get bumpers, badges, and 5-spoke wheels instead of the 7-spoke wheels. Not to mention you have to get the Cold Weather Package to get the S-Line Package. So in essence, if you want to get a sport model from now forward, you'll have to pay around $3400.

Further more, the manager and I signed papers to the effect that my price was locked it. Now they're telling me that if the S-Line Package costs more, the price will change. That doesn't sound "locked" to me. And I bet if it was cheaper, they wouldn't take a dime off the quoted price! This started out as a good deal and process, but now it's looking kinda shaky. :(
  • Options
    jgainesjgaines Member Posts: 39
    I have generally seen 1k to 1500 off MSRP. Lease have priced best at 42 months and with 15K miles, and nothing down I have seen a high of $825/month (a joke) to several at $715 per month and low of $629 which I am investigating further. I will report back if its for real since it seems to good to be true.
  • Options
    kgarykgary Member Posts: 180
    Audi is discounting the 2005 4.2 big time. I just ordered the 4.2 in Night Blue Pearl Effect with a Platinum interior. I ordered it with the following options:

- Transmission: 6-Speed Automatic w/Tiptronic (4F255L)
     - Tires: P245/45R18 AS (CSG)
    - Radio: AM/FM Stereo w/6 CD Changer and Sirius satellite radio (PDS)
    - Cold Weather Package (PAW)
    - Audi Navigation System (7Q2)
     - Voice Recognition w/7Q2 (QH2)
     - Advanced Key (4K7)
     - Solar Sunroof (3FR)
     - Power Rear & Manual Side Window Sunshades (3Y5)
     - Rear Side Airbags (4X4)
     - Rear Parktronic (7X1)
     - Tire Pressure Monitoring System (7K7)
     - Northeast Trading Region Emissions Requirements
     - Security Wheel Locks
     - Destination Charge (DEST)

MSRP was $59,020. I got it for $55,300, nearly $4,000 off MSRP and about $800 over dealer cost according to Edmunds. By the way I am paying cash and I am not trading in my old car, so the dealer is not making any money on financing or the trade. I should add that three other dealers quoted me prices of $55,600 or less for the same car.

Don't pay anywhere near sticker boys.

Kevin
  • Options
    safeldersafelder Member Posts: 60
    Do you mind disclosing what dealership?
  • Options
    The Sport Package is no more. It's been replaced by the $2650 S-Line Package consisting of suspension, wheels, bumpers and badges. The sport seats are a separate ~$500 option.

Looks like I'm not getting an A6 4.2 afterall. :-( Time to start looking again! >:-[ My local Benz dealer is really trying to rope me in, but after the price I "almost" had on an '05 A6 4.2 (loaded), I don't want to pay the cost of an E500.
  • Options
    Is that $2650 for the S-Line package alone, or does your figure include the S-Line items as well as the cold weather package, which your previous post indicated was required to get the S-Line package?

Frankly, I'm willing to pay $1500 for the sport suspension and upgraded wheels. I'm NOT willing to pay an additional $1000 for the badges. And I'm royally ticked about losing the sport seats--I've got them in my current A4, and they're fantastic.
  • Options
    That's only for the S-Line package. Cold Weather Package is still separate for the time being. Keep in mind, though, you can still order the sport seats as a separate option. Though I think it should be included.
  • Options
    gold233790gold233790 Member Posts: 183
    Well.....Depends what the MSRP and sale price of the vehicle is. Also, is the number pre-tax? $0 down?

For example, I have a quote on a $49,170 MSRP 3.2 for around $670/month for 36 months and 15k miles. Pre-tax, $0 down. I think it is a fair offer, based on AFS' current rates, however I am in disagreement over my trade $. Deal was offered before I indicated my trade, so I'm confident they weren't trying to "back-end" their money.

Car also doesn't have a couple of my "toy" options, so trying to see if I can get to one of the cars slightly north of $50k. The discount the dealer is using is between $1200-1500, I believe (have the paperwork at home).
  • Options
    Awful. I was hoping to get a fully loaded 4.2, but it now costs $2500 more to get the same thing, plus the s-line badges. Maybe I'm back to a fully loaded 3.2...they're not pulling the s-line stunt on that one, are they?

Of course, in the grand scheme of things, what's $2500 on a $60K automobile?
  • Options
    But you can't really play that game. I've reasoned like that many times, but it doesn't make sense.

I bought a Land Cruiser a few years back, waited the Toyota dealer out an extra 2-3 days in order to get the last $750, and my wife wondered why. Then, I spent that EXACT same $750 as most of the cash to purchase her a set of nice earings, and it was all clear!

$2500 is still $2500. It's a nice chunk of cash.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,150

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    True. I was hoping for a fully loaded 4.2, but that doesn't seem to be practical anymore. The suspension would be nice, but I'll live, and probably more comfortably! I've got the sport suspension on my 98 A4, I enjoy it, and that's the standard suspension now. As long as I can get the sport seats, I'm happy.

Besides, the last thing I want to do is spend $2000 for a body kit that lowers my car to the point where DC city streets destroy it.
  • Options
    I owned an earlier version A8, and my wife drove an '01 A6 for a while. Can't tell you how many times we scraped the bumper against parking blocks, etc. WAAAY low. To their credit, Audi recognized this issue and replaced the bumpers on both cars after the first "experience".

DOn't think it's a big issue anymore with the regular suspension (and certainly not on the new A8 with adaptable susp.), but who knows with sport?
  • Options
    I can beat that--I ripped the front bumper of my A4 out of the clips that hold it on to the car on a parking block. Twice. And I've scratched it up badly on poorly contoured roads (Route 7 and Idylwood in Falls Church, VA is a nasty, nasty intersection). Fortunately, it's simply a chunk of black plastic, and you can't see the damage.
  • Options
    Safelder,

All of these dealers were nearly $4,000 below the $59,020 sticker on a loaded 2005 A6 4.2 (every single option except the sport package). The prices ranged between $55,300 and $55,600.

Audi of Huntington, in Huntington, New York
    Legend Autorama, Ltd. in Amityville, New York
    Storms Motors, Inc., South Hampton, New York
    Danbury Audi, in Danbury, Connecticut

Good luck.

Kevin
  • Options
    Can I ask where you got the quote for $670 month and what residual they are using. For similar priced A6's with $0 down, I am getting quotes of about $730 with $15,000 miles.
  • Options
    No problem. One small caveat- the $670 price/month is actually $685 on that car. XM radio was not included on the quote I received, and apparently you cannot roll that cost into the lease- if it doesn't come equipped and is a dealer install, you can't residualize the cost- you pay for the whole shebang.

Anyway, I'm consistently getting $1200-1500 off MSRP from most of the central and northern NJ dealerships. 36 month, 15k miles residual is 55% with a MF of .00140.

Big question- are your numbers pre-tax? If not, there's much of your difference. I ask for all of my quotes to come to me pre-tax in order to know exactly what I am paying in a lease. I can add the 6% myself to get my final number.

Anyway, as long as you are below 51k sticker you should absolutely be getting below $700/month pre-tax. At least in NJ, and I would assume much of the NE.

Show them the math. Take an exact car on their lot, walk them through the process, and see where they stand. I've had more success with this than the other way around. They know you are an educated consumer, you understand the current market, and they have a choice of making a fair deal on a vehicle or looking for a sucker. Can't tell you how many times I get a smile from the other side of the desk. The process has been made simple for both parties. Their is a big difference between the invoice and MSRP on these cars- Audi isn't starving at these numbers.
  • Options
    Most of the dealerships around here have between 5-15 3.2's on their lots.
  • Options
    Gold233790: thanks for the info. My quotes include tax. Some are from NC where I live now (3%) and some from NY/NJ area (6%)where I am from originally. Everyone is pretty close once they realize you are not an idiot. My current TL lease ends at the end of Jan, and I can extend it one extra month, so although I will like to wait for residuals to come up or discounts to increase (like when the new lexus GS and infiniti come out), I am in a bit of a bind. The A6 is a wonderful vehicle inside and out and I guess I will have to suck it up and take the plunge in the low $700s per month.
  • Options
    auditorauditor Member Posts: 63
    Enticed by K. Gary's posts #56 and #68, above, I visited Danbury Audi, today, spoke first with a salesman I know there, and then he and I spoke with that dealer's sales manager and two other salesman.

They were quite distressed, as was I, by what in their view was the falacious assertion that they'd offerred anyone a $4,000 discount off MSRP on a 2005 A6 4.2 sedan.

I told them that the usefulness of Edmunds' town
    hall forums was based in large part on the integrity of the information posted by all those
    who participate.

Presumably, other readers who contact any of the other dealers K. Gary referred to will learn of his falsehoods from them as well!!
  • Options
    My default setting is to take all of these posts pretty much at face value. Maybe there are just some misunderstandings. I got a quote from Karen Payne (via telephone) and personally visited Schneider and Nelson with respect to a 3.2 A6 and they were quoting the same deals everone is: $1500 off MSRP, adn low $700's per month for a fully loaded ($51,500) a6 with 15,000 miles per year. They were extremely nice but not more competitive than anyone else. Although I would think that the 4.2 being more rare would be harder to discount, kgary must have found an unusual situation.
  • Options
    I've also found that several Audi dealers in the NJ area are treating the new A6 customer as they would an A8. For example, three dealerships who do not offer Audi loaners (or very rarely do), have indicated that on any scheduled service I would receive an Audi. One offered me an Audi loaner for the life of my ownership/lease- in or out of warranty.

One offered free pickup and delivery (within 10 miles) for scheduled service.

Anyway, small stuff in reality, but if I am going to spend 50k to purchase, or $700 or so a month to lease, I appreciate the effort to make me feel valued.

Better than my Mercedes dealership who scoff at any sedan shopper not willing to drive their "S".
  • Options
    Sorry that I suggested the deal ($4K off MSRP) you presumably got on a fully loaded 2005 A6 4.2 was a false assertion. Given the scarcity of that car relative to the demand for it in the U.S. at this time, I just find it inconceivable that any reputable dealer(s) would actually sell it to you for that price this early in the model year.

While I wish you the best of luck in your quest for the lowest price, I don't believe you'll ever
    ultimately be able to buy it for that price in a reasonable period of time (3-4 months).

When your car arrives, I believe your dealer will try to get more money from you, or your car will take several months to arrive, or you'll never see it!!

If you don't have the dealer's sales manager's agreement in writing to the price on your order and a VIN number on your car, your chances of actually getting it for $4K off MSRP are, in my opinion, very slim.
  • Options
    spartanchic1spartanchic1 Member Posts: 1
    I was in the Audi dealer this morning (12/7/04) considering trading in my A4 for the new 2005 A6 and learned from the sales associate that the new 2005 A6 WILL HAVE A PRICE INCREASE OF $1,000 effective for all vehicles manufactured after February 15, 2005. Evidently this price now is an "introductory price."
  • Options
    IMO, not a smart move. Basically, they are increasing price right when Lexus and Infiniti are releasing competing vehicles?

I'm close to pulling the trigger on an Audi lease- I just love the car. However, if I could wait another three to four months for the M35 AWD, I'd probably purchase the Infiniti. More confidence in long term reliability, and while I've only seen pics and haven't driven the vehicle, I anticipate I will like.

I do really think for the first time that the A6 is going to have serious competition here- the 4matic E series is much more expensive, and there's not another mid-size premium lux sedan in the high 40, low 50k segment.
  • Options
    It is possible to get deals on these cars very early on. I've been quoted a few deals myself. One guy offered me $1000 over invoice. I called him to inquire about it and he said he was legit. One curious thing he did say was that if I mentioned it to my local dealer to try and get an even better deal, he would deny wholeheartedly that he quoted me $1000 over invoice if they called him about it. That's a strange practice, but it is in line with what auditor mentioned earlier about a dealer denying quoting a customer what the customer said said he was quoted.

But auditor is correct that the dealer is probably going to try to milk the guy for as much money as possible when/if the car arrives. More than likely he will be slapped with an insane interest rate.
  • Options
    ...and there's not another mid-size premium lux sedan in the high 40, low 50k segment.

There is the '05 Acura RL. But...
  • Options
    The RL. Why I forgot that one, I don't know.

That being said, I think the Acura kind of falls into it's own little place. I never seriously considered it, though I've owned Acura's and have loved every one.

I heard rumors of the 5 series introducing an AWD version- that would be interesting, though I would guess the price point would be 5-10k higher.

This being a price discussion, I'll leave it at that, having totally forgotten about the new RL- which I've driven and am suitably impressed. I just didn't have "fun" doing so....to each his own.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,150
    A reporter is interested in speaking with anyone who has recently purchased any of the following vehicles: Chrysler 300, Mazda 3, Scion xB, Audi A6, Land Rover LR3 or the Honda Odyssey. He would like to discuss which other vehicles you considered, why you bought the vehicle you bought, likes/dislikes, etc. If you are interested in speaking with this reporter, please forward your name, the vehicle you purchased and your daytime contact information to Pam Krebs, Edmunds.com PR, at pkrebs@edmunds.com no later than end of day Tuesday, Dec. 14. Thank you

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    johngjohng Member Posts: 6
    Does anyone know when the price increase is set to take place ?

I visited two dealers in the Chicago area yesterday and was told Dec. 31st by one, Jan. 15th by the other.

Was wondering if anyone had a definitive answer ?
  • Options
    I have heard from two dealers that the price increase of $1000 will take effect on all cars purchased after January 1, 2005. The audiusa site is already reflecting the increase on the MSRP.
  • Options
    a4drivera4driver Member Posts: 11
    The price increase applies to cars that are on U.S. soil (at port) after february 15.
  • Options
    The audiusa site is already reflecting the increase on the MSRP.

Which site are you looking at?? When I go to www.audiusa.com/a6, it still shows the $51,220 for the A6 4.2 which includes the $720 destination charge. They haven't updated the site in a while. You can't even get the Sport Package anymore, but they still have it listed as an option.
  • Options
    I believe that the 3.2 was list at $40,620, now it is at $41,620 and the 4.2 was at $50,220 now it is listed at $51,220, but I could be wrong.
  • Options
    kgary1kgary1 Member Posts: 1
    Auditor,

I have an agreement signed by the dealer's sales manager and a VIN number for the car. As discussed, the 2005 A6 4.2, as ordered, has an MSRP of over $59,000. As reflected on the signed sales agreement, the agreed upon price is $55,300. Expected delivery is about 8 weeks from today (mid-February). So while you may be right, and the dealer may try to get out of the deal, I believe the dealer is going to have a hard time wiggling off the hook.

Kevin
  • Options
    Unlike kgary1, I don't have a VIN number, but I do have a buyer's order signed by the Sales Manager for $1K over invoice (currently approx $48.5K) for delivery in mid-March. This is on a special order 3.2, nearly fully loaded (no sport suspension, parktronic, or sunshades; 17" wheels).

Salesman disclosed that MSRP increases by $1K on 1 February, but that my car should be in production by then, and that invoice is fixed when the order is placed. I suppose I get a VIN number at the same time the dealer gets an invoice price.
  • Options
    zspenzspen Member Posts: 5
    Two Seattle area dealers are both confirming the $1,000 price increase effective January 1. I read in a Motor Trend article earlier this year that Audi North America argued for a lower MSRP on the new A6 when preparing for the U.S. launch. Audi agreed and the pricing was published. Makes me wonder if the positive reception and/or the weak dollar have caused them to reconsider. Regardless of the reason it feels a little like "bait and switch". The dealers are using the price increase as leverage to get potential buyers to take existing inventory at MSRP.
  • Options
    Kevin:

Glad to hear you have the sales manager's signature and a VIN # on the order for your forthcoming A6 4.2.

If you actually conclude the deal you negotiated, you should start a business based on the approach

you used, and sell it to others for a modest fee!!

Be sure to let us know how things turn out in February.

Auditor
  • Options
    Auditor,

I actually stole the approach from a book that I think was called the Millionaire Living Across the Street or something like that.

I have used the approach to purchase my last 4 cars. The great thing about the approach is that there is correspondence documenting the whole transaction. So if the dealer tries to claim that something was not included in the price, you have the earlier faxes to prove that the item was included in the agreed upon price.

I had to resort to those faxes on the Audi purchase when the dealer tried to bump the price $2,500 when I showed up to order the car. I pulled out my faxes and showed her that the items were included in the quoted price. I then told the salesperson that if they didn't honor the agreed upon price that I would purchase the car from another dealer for the same price. To back up that threat I showed the salesperson the written price quote that the second dealer had faxed me.

The fax approach is forcing the dealers to participate in a blind auction. It is quite effective.

Kevin
  • Options
    Kevin--

Did you get a car that was already ordered, or did you have it special ordered? If the latter, how is it that you were able to get a VIN number? I special ordered a 3.2 yesterday at $1K over invoice, but won't know what invoice is until the order is accepted by the factory (which better be before the price increase, or I'm going to have a VERY interesting conversation with my dealer!). I have a pretty decent ballpark of what I'm paying from data found here on Edmunds, but it's not pinned down.
  • Options
    I had to special order the car, which I did a few weeks ago. I did not get the VIN number right away. It was given to me a few days ago, after the factory accepted the order.

Kevin
  • Options
    Thanks. I'll keep tabs on my dealer, and ask for the VIN and if they got the order price-protected when the factory accepts.
  • Options
    Kevin:

Has your car been "released to manufacturing" yet?

If so, what are the dates your car is scheduled to

(a) be shipped from Germany and (b) arrive at your dealers?

By way of example, my order for an A6 4.2 was submitted to Audi on Oct. 1st, my car was "released to maufacturing" on Nov. 22nd, it's scheduled to leave Germany on Jan. 10th and arrive at my dealer's on Feb. 14th. But, the salesperson

I've been dealing with claims there's no VIN# yet.

She's not too swift, so I plan to call the Audi

Advocate 800 #, which I've done before, and get the VIN # from them.

Auditor
  • Options
    kozayurkozayur Member Posts: 5
    I just leased my 2005 A6 from Prestige Leasing at Glenview, IL. They had the best deal I could find. The car was exactly as I wanted (color, options). I love the car, the power, the electronic toys, the blue tooth phone. Awesome.
  • Options
    What BT phone are you using?
  • Options
    What is your lease info?
  • Options
    kozayurkozayur Member Posts: 5
    I use Siemens S56 and my wife uses Motorola V600. Both of them work perfectly. Actually, the Motorola turns off blue tooth when it is not in use. So you have to turn in on again when you drive the car.
  • Options
    ttran3ttran3 Member Posts: 5
    I am new to this forum and definitely new to Audi. I immediately felt in love with the 2005 A6. My ordered vehicle (the 3.2) will be arriving by the end of Dec or early Jan. Anyway, I keep getting a feeling that I am paying too much for the vehicle. Prior to placing my order, I contacted a number of dealerships and they all quoted the same price ... MSRP ! Understanding this is a newly redesigned vehicle, $4000 above invoice is ALOT. I reside in the Chicago area and am curious to know anyone here in the forum, from the midwest area, paid below the MSRP ? Edmund is calculating a TMV of roughly $300 under the MSRP.
  • Options
    Lots of people are paying at, or very near, MSRP. Others, myself included, have gotten better deals. The way to do that is to do your homework, know what leverage you have, and apply it accordingly.

The only thing I can tell you in an effort to ease your mind is that you obviously believed the car was worth what you're paying for it, since you did the deal. Nobody "wins" or "loses" in a negotiation like this--either both parties are better off and the deal gets done, or not.
  • Options
    Csn't speak for the midwest, but in the NE it seems people are sitting between $1000 and $1500 off. I've been email quoted $1500 off, but only on a specific car that was on a lot. My requested car (still on a lot) was $1200.

I haven't pushed yet, but not quite sure how much extra room there is. Something tells me to be happy with $1500 off MSRP on a 50k A6 right now.