Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

2013 and Earlier - Audi A6 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    jeqqjeqq Member Posts: 221
    I'm also in the NW and I got a similar deal on a 3.2. I should be getting the car in the next week or two. I recommend this dealer, Classic Auto. I found the Rep to be an honest guy and there was no haggling. I'm hoping the service department experience will be the same.
  • Options
    make that the NE. I must have been wishful thinking
  • Options
    richard11richard11 Member Posts: 1
    Where in the NE did you purchase your A6?

How long have you had it and how do you like it?
  • Options
    Classic in Mt. Vernon, NY. Dealer rep was easy to deal with. This Wednesday delivery.
  • Options
    johnhejohnhe Member Posts: 3
    I negotiated what I thought was a good deal on a custom ordered '05 A6 4.2 ($1K over invoice, plus a favorable trade in value), but then I was told of the Audi price increase. My local dealer ordered the car around Nov 29 and says the increase applies to all new A6's that arrive after Feb 1...true or is he really trying to get another $1K out of me? Also, can they print their own invoices or do they actually come from Audi HQ? They promised to share it with me.
  • Options
    safeldersafelder Member Posts: 60
    I negotiated the same deal on my 3.2. The price increase is true--$1K increase in MSRP after sometime in February. What's still fuzzy is the trigger: order placed, order accepted, production started, production complete, at port, delivered to dealer, delivered to customer--I haven't gotten a clean answer yet. I also don't know what will happen to invoice--for all I know, Audi has decided to make $1K more profit on every car and invoice won't change at all!

In any event, the best your dealer can do for you is to get the order price protected by the factory (or agree to eat any increase, but that's not going to happen).

As to your other question, get your hands on the factory invoice. You can get a pretty good ballpark on your inovice price by using tools here on Edmunds.com or on cars.com. Those numbers aren't perfect, since they don't include advertising fees, etc., but they'll get you to a point where you'll be able to tell if the dealer is pulling a fast one. Also, realize that Audi has no holdback--so the dealer is only making $1000 on your sale, and that's pretty darn good.
  • Options
    I'll post details when resolved with the dealer...and it'll be interesting to see if/when Edmunds, other indep sites and Audi finally revise their prices.
  • Options
    revrasrevras Member Posts: 63
    Its hard to believe they are already initiating a price increase. Hopefully some promo leases will be coming out to promote the car. Its still currently leasing in the high six range for the base model. I live in a town that is very Audi friendly and I have yet to see a new model on the road.
  • Options
    a4drivera4driver Member Posts: 11
    The price increase takes effect on February 15 for those cars that have not yet made it to port in the US. Any car on the ground in the US at that time will not see the price increase, while cars still intransit from Germany will.
  • Options
    orthoaceorthoace Member Posts: 1
    Kevin,

Just went into an Audi dealer today to look at an A6 4.2. They will not budge off MSRP. Would you please share what area you live in and what dealer you ultimately chose to go with?

For $4000 off, I'd buy an airline ticket, fly to the city where your dealer is at, and pay for it to be transported and still end up with a substantial discount off MSRP.

When you get the chance, please reply...and thanks a lot for sharing your experience.

Happy Holidays!

OrthoAce
  • Options
    kgarykgary Member Posts: 180
    OrthoAce,

I ordered the car through Huntington Audi, which is located in Huntington, New York.

Good luck.

Kevin
  • Options
    I've bought Porsches and Audis for years from this local dealer and I was led to believe that my pricing was based on a preferred customer status...sorry, but I doubt that they'd offer similar pricing to someone who they haven't had a long-term relationship with (think they'll see again and again). Make sense?
  • Options
    paul179paul179 Member Posts: 10
    I have a dealer who has a leftover 2004 A6 4.2 on his showroom floor-it is loaded, including the sport package. MSRP is $55K. How much should I offer him? Although I like the styling of the new ones, I'm not a fan of the idrive-style interface. I await your price opinions......

Thanks!
  • Options
    The '04 4.2 is a great car, but the new A6 is really a "new and different" car. Drive both and let us know what you think. As to pricing I don't have the numbers on the '04.
  • Options
    ccapccap Member Posts: 40
    Just got some lease pricing back for a loaded A6 4.2 with Sport package. $930 a month for 36 months seems ike too much money for this car. I di like the car alot, but I can get a BMW 545i for $840 per month.

I think I will be heading to an S4 for $670 per month. Better deal overall
  • Options
    gold233790gold233790 Member Posts: 183
    Great car. Should be able to do very well on it price-wise.

One thing, though. The MMI system is MUCH easier to use and learn than I-drive. I drive a 530i, a family member has an '04 A8. MMI is easier and not as intrusive.
  • Options
    jhutchinsjhutchins Member Posts: 15
    After unsuccessfully trying to obtain a new A6 with the features I wanted out of present inventory, I am in the position of taking a car arriving in the US in April. The dealership is including the additional $1,000 in the MSRP, but is offering roughly an additional $500 off MSRP from what we had previously discussed (in other words, I am paying an additional $500 for the car than I would have had they had it on their lot now). Does anyone know what percentage of the $1K MSRP increase (if any) is to the invoice?

Also, for the east coast, how much off of MSRP are buyers getting for their new A6's?
  • Options
    I live in the NY metro area. I ordered an A6 4.2 a couple of months ago. The car is scheduled to leave Germany on Monday. MSRP as equipped was about $59,200, the sales price on the sales agreement signed by the dealership's manager is $55,300. I was able to get three different dealership's to agree to that price via facsimile. Good luck on your purchase.
  • Options
    rjlaerorjlaero Member Posts: 659
    I really don't know how you got almost $4,000 off MSRP on a 2005 4.2 A6. That's a pretty incredible deal. The Audi margins are thin as it is, and that's getting close to invoice on a hard to find 2005 4.2 model. Most people are paying close to MSRP on the 4.2 V8's.

At 59.2K, your 4.2 V8 should have almost every available option.

Where I live in the mid-south, you'll get laughed out of a dealership expecting to get that kind of discount on the 4.2.

Congrats on a great deal.
  • Options
    The car I ordered is "loaded". The only option available at the time that I ordered the car that I did not take was the sport suspension. Several reviews that I read stated that the sport suspension was a little stiff for roads in the snow-belt. I was also unable to test drive an A6 with the sport suspension.

As far as the price, I know it is a great deal. I read about this car-buying technique in a book a few years ago. I went for a test ride at the dealership closest to my house and got a price quote of about $1,000 below MSRP. I then obtained prices from 3 or 4 car buying services on the internet (the lowest being about $2,000 below MSRP). I then faxed a detailed letter to every Audi dealer within 100 miles of my house except the one where I test drove the car (living in the NY metro area there are about 25 dealers). In the letter I described the exact car, with each option, that I wanted to purchase and the price that I had been quoted. I advised in the letter that I was sending the letter to all of the dealers in the NY metro area and asked them to give me their best price by return facsimile. This letter forced the dealers to participate in a blind auction and put the price in writing. This resulted in about 12 dealers responding and the lowest price dropping to about $3,000 below MSRP. I then repeated the letter process with all 25 dealers. This brought the lowest price down to $3,900 below MSRP. I then walked into the dealership where I test drove the car with a stack of signed letters from the other dealers agreeing to sell me the car for up to $3,900 off MSRP. I gave her a copy of the letters from the 2 dealers that agreed to $3,900 off MSRP. I told the saleswoman that if she matched the price that I would sign a sales agreement immediately. If she could not sell me the car for that price, then I was driving the 20 miles to the other dealership and would be buying the car from that dealer. She spoke to her manager and told me that she could not believe the deal that I was getting but that her manager agreed to match the price. She then wrote up the sales agreement that was signed by me and the office manager.

I have purchased my last couple of cars this way and it has resulted in some pretty incredible prices. The best part is that it only takes about an hour of your time and you end up buying the car at your local dealer. Good luck.
  • Options
    rroyce10rroyce10 Member Posts: 9,332
    ....... Every once in awhile a blind squirrel can find etc, etc ... Kgary ordered a nice vehicle in the dead of winter during tumbleweed time in the NY area, right time, right place .. probably the dealers were looking for allocation and/or incentive monies for the future inventory .....

Terry.
  • Options
    Dead of winter is the best time to get a deal. The blind squirrel is freezing to death and is looking for anyone to give him a nut. He will even take a nut that is smaller than he wants. You got to know when to buy.
  • Options
    I think a lot of dealers will let you walk on that one. But maybe in NY in the middle of the winter, somebody needs a sale. But not around where I live.

It's not worth it to most dealers to sell an 05 4.2 that cheap. And obvioulsy to the salesperson as well. To spend all that time explaining navigation systems & such and doing a full demo to a customer on a high end car like that and make no money ain't fun.

I'd never waste my time on you and tell you to go buy a car from somebody else.

I'm glad I don't live and sell cars in NY.
  • Options
    Sounds like you are a car salesman. I guess that I am also glad that you do not sell cars in NY.
  • Options
    Yup! I guess it works out for both of us :)))

Enjoy the 4.2 when it comes in. You'll love it. It's an incredible car.
  • Options
    gh21gh21 Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased an '04 A6 2.7 S-line with 5K miles. Premium package, cold weather package, Bose, XM, parktronic, 9 spoke-rims. Paid $37,500+ tax. Comments if this was a good deal?

Also, it wasn't certified but the dealership said that they would certify it for an extra $1500, no idea why it was 1500. I decided to pay, so the final price was $39,000+ tax. The in-service date was mid August '04, so I have 3.5 years and 45,000 under the factory warranty, and an extra 2 years 50,000 with the CPO. When I picked the car up, I received no cerification paperwork, no carfax report, and my final invoice reflects a car price of $39,000. I called and said that I want proof of certification and they said no problem. However, I feel like I was just scammed $1500, b/c I doubt that a full 300- point inspection was performed on a practically brand-new car. I am very interested in comments and suggestions.
  • Options
    Getting your car Certified for $1500 extra is well worth if you plan to keep your car past 50k miles. Most Audi CPO's are around $2000 extra, so you didn't get scammed. It would cost you TWICE that to buy a warranty from a secondary warranty company on a German car. And it will also be a lot easier to sell a CPO car with a 6year/100k warranty should you decide to sell it on your own in the future.

Your CPO is attached to your VIN number, so any Audi dealer can pull up your cars info and verify that it has the 6/100 warranty.

I'd ask your salesperson for the official certificate that your car was certified. The Service manager also has to sign off on the certificate as well. That paperwork is more of a formality for you to have than anything else, but it's nice to have it in your posession.

A lot of cars may be "pre-certified" by Audi dealers. That means that the cars have already gone under a 300 point inspection and are offically ready to be certified. But some customers don't want to pay the $1500-$2000 extra for the 6/100k warranty.

When a car is officially certified, the dealer has to send Audi X amount of dollars to help defray the costs of future warranty work. So they may wait until the customer agrees to pay the extra amount before they have offical certification paperwork for a customer.

I think you got a pretty good deal @ 37.5 for your S Line A6.
  • Options
    gh21gh21 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for the valuable insight, I feel better about the deal. I will definitely take your suggestions. Also wanted to comment that its great to be able to ask a question and get a helpful, intelligent response. Never participated in a chat room or forum before. Thanks again
  • Options
    wattson1wattson1 Member Posts: 15
    hi tayl0rd, i am thinking of buy ordering one A6 4.2. how has the exp been so far?
  • Options
    .... **b/c I doubt that a full 300- point inspection was performed on a practically brand-new car. I am very interested in comments and suggestions** ..

Your probably right, did you run a history on it.? .. a trip around the block, an oil change, a quick look on the lift and maybe a tire rotation - and Wango Tango ~ you have "certified" .......

"Certified" doesn't guarantee anything, except the warranty ...... is it a good deal.? It's kinda too late now, your an owner .. dealer probably paid the the tall $31's, low $32's for it, add a this and that, add the CPO and it probably hit the table in the mid $33's ..... $39,0..? that was ALL the money and then some, $36,5/$37,0 would have just about killed it ...

Terry.
  • Options
    An 04 S Line A6 had an MSRP of about $46,000. So getting it for $8500 less than original MSRP and buying it for $37,500 is not a bad deal for a car that's barely a year old with only 5,000 miles on it.
  • Options
    ..... No, it's not a "bad" deal - and it's a great vehicle and he should enjoy it ...

Terry.
  • Options
    tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    Hey, wattson1. My experience was quite simply, extremely exhausting!! I've never haggled so much in my life! I've got tons of emails to prove it. It all boiled down to me having to order:

2005 Audi A6 4.2

Black w/ Amaretto interior

Sport suspension

Sport seats

18" wheel/tire combo

Advanced Key

Bose w/ Sirius

Navigation

Cold Weather package

Tire Pressure monitor

Power/manual rear shades

I was ordering out of state for $1K over invoice or exactly $55,500 out the door. Two days before I put down the deposit (for the second time, loooong story) I went to check out a new Mustang GT. End of story, I took one right off the showroom floor. However, I still have my eyes on that A6 4.2, but that new Chrysler 300C SRT-8 is really getting my attention! Might just end up with two new rides in the garage!

But thanks for asking.
  • Options
    wattson1wattson1 Member Posts: 15
    are there any 2005 A6 4.2 owners. Please let me know the price you paid (i am in VA) and the experience of driving the new car?

thanks
  • Options
    bigdveedubgirlbigdveedubgirl Member Posts: 402
    It is facinating to see the differences in the purchase and selling processes between VW and Audi. At VW customers, regardless, of how thorough, friendly, professional you are customers sometimes would nickel and dime you, and ask for deals that cut into holdback. With Audi, the clients that I encountered so far, they just want a professional demo, their time valued a pleasant service experience and there is minimal haggling or none at all. But here the average time for a client is 21 days from first encounter to purchase. Wierd for me....

So to the consumer who faxed all the letters to all the dealers. That is a little extreme. Evidently it works for you. What i recommend to my friends and family. If you are going to buy, do your research (go edmunds) know your max investment before you walk in the door. Know your credit situation, and buy a car from who treats you the best, offers the best service, and a place you dont mind having a relationship with for the next 4-5 years. It really isnt that difficult to buy a car.
  • Options
    I agree as well with the previous statement as someone who is an Audi sales consultant. The serious buyers that purchase a vehicle want a fair price, but the negotioation process is a bit different. If you give people a professional demo and they have a pleasant experience, they'll buy the car w/ minimal haggling. People who can afford these cars realize that eveybody needs to make some money. Making $2-3,000 profit for the dealership on a $50,000 car is not unreasonable. The margins for Audi are thin as it is even at MSRP.

This is a free country and if people want to email 25 dealers to get prices, that's their right. But I find that the chances of someone buying a car from me when I quote them a price over the phone is slim to none. They have no respect for people's time or professionalism & they usually have a bad attitude as well.
  • Options
    cstilescstiles Member Posts: 465
    As a consumer, I agree with the points made above. However, to me, the issue with the new A6 is whether this car is just plain overpriced, relative to the market and competition. It's difficult to get an A6 for too much less than $50K when you include the options that most everyone wants. Is there such a thing as a $40K base model A6 on the lot?

Earlier in this post, there was a comment made in a forum featuring the Audi executive who at one point compared the new A6 to the new RL. He said that the A6 is $10,000 less than the RL. That's very inaccurate. The RL comes fully loaded at MSRP of $49K. The A6, comparably equipped, has an MSRP of at least $49K. The margin on the RL is something like $5500. Well-equipped versions of the 2006 Infiniti M35, 2006 Lexus GS300, etc. can be had for $42K to $47K, with comparably comfortable margins. Perhaps at retail, the A6 is just overpriced?
  • Options
    I think a lot of customers who are in the market for the A6 look at the E class Mercedes and 5 series BMW. The Audi wins hands-down when compared to those cars on MSRP. Loaded w/ almost every option and navigation, you're right at 50k for the 3.2 A6 Quattro. If you want AWD on the Mercedes, you're pushing 60 grand for a V6 4matic E320 optioned the same as the A6. You can get a V8 4.2 A6 w/ 340hp about 3-4k cheaper than a V6 4matic Benz. The Bimmer is 4-5k more optioned the same. And that's a 2wd Bimmer vs a Quattro A6.

People have commented about lease rates being better on the BMW. That's true. But BMW is having to subsidize sales on the 5 series which has never really caught on with BMW loyalists. And the A6 has only been in the market for 5 months. The lease rates will get better on the A6 as time goes on.

M45 pricing is not cheap and about the same as the A6. An AWD M45 V8 is in the high 50's. Same as the A6 4.2 Quattro.

The RL is a nice car. But it doesn't have much presence for a 50k car and looks too much like a Honda. It's also smallish on the interior.

I think the pricing is good on the 05 A6. Even the old body style cars loaded up were mid 40's and there was no NAV offered.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,150
    Let's reserve this discussion for pricing & purchasing experience for the Audi A6 only. There are several discussions on the Sedans board that deal with comparing the models mentioned above.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    Reading posts from the hosts is really in your best interest and ensure the longevity of your posts. Posts about Infiniti/Lexus have been removed.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Options
    As a car salesman why are you against a method that allows a prospective customer to get the best possible price on a car in less than 45 minutes? Could it be you want to increase your commission? I'll take the $4,000 off MSRP for 45 minutes of my time.

A new car is a commodity. My 2005 A6 4.2 is the same car regardless of where I purchased it. If the service department becomes a problem, then I will get my car serviced elsewhere.
  • Options
    It seems that the prices being discussed on this forum are being influenced by members who are car salesmen. A car is a commodity. The price of the commodity is what one market is willing to sell it for and what another market is willing to pay. The 45 minutes I spent in faxing letters resulted in a $4,000 savings and no haggling with the selling dealer. In fact, I spent less than 15 minutes with the selling dealer. If the selling dealer did not want to sell me the car, it could have ignored my e-mail or quoted a higher price.
  • Options
    richcreamrichcream Member Posts: 205
    Comfortable margins? HA! That is not in infiniti's vocabulary regarding the M35 at this point in time: (as per edmunds TMV, for what it's worth)

M35x (awd), fully loaded:
    INVOICE: $48,797
    MSRP & TMV: $53,710
    I live in NY but still, $4,913/10% profit is STEEP. Though you might have a point with the Audis...although much more of one with BMW:

A6 3.2, fully loaded:
    INVOICE: $50,301
    TMV: $53,497
    Still over 6% profit. Whichever one I get I'll almost definitely get out of state (MA, CT, NJ), though I don't know if it will make much difference with the Infiniti.
  • Options
    liferulesliferules Member Posts: 531
    I feel like I've seen this post before...

And this relates to A6 prices paid & buying how?
  • Options
    It doesn't. It's gone.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• Options
    Where were you getting that deal?

The 4.2, as described above, is showing up as $58,970 by me, BEFORE 8.75% NYS tax, making the out-the-door price $64,129.

Please let me know, b/c I am having a hard time believing it. I would GREATLY appreciate it.

THANKS.
  • Options
    I just picked up my loaded A6 4.2. I ordered the car in November. The sticker delivered with the car had an MSRP of $60,105. I paid $55,400. Deals can be had. I purchased the car at Audi of Huntington in Huntington, New York.
  • Options
    liferulesliferules Member Posts: 531
    Kgary,

Congrats on the car. Hope you enjoy it!
  • Options
    I live in Nassau County! I read your post about the fax technique you used to get the lowest possible offer. Two questions:
    1. What online car-buying services did you use?
    2. What was the name of the book you read?

I'm trying to decide between the M35x and the A6 3.2, but if I can get a comparable deal to what you worked out for the 4.2, I'll take it. I went to the Audi by my home with my girlfriend to get her opinion and my salesman wasn't in. I wanted to test drive it, so they sent me out with a 23yr old kid from the accounting office. With no vested interest in selling me the car, he told me that my best bet was to check out specific dealerships in NJ, CT, and MA, where he knew for a fact that dealerships were selling both the 3.2 and 4.2 for $500-$1,000 over invoice (pretty much the deal you got in NY by working for it.)

It sounds like you made out like a bandit...the sales manager must have been REAL happy to give you that car for that price ;)

One more question: Did you purchase it outright or did you finance some? If you financed; did you go through Audi, if so, how was it? (I heard they were throwing out some 2.9% rates.)

Any feedback is appreciated...you are a master shopper.
  • Options
    I used Autobytel, Carfax and a couple of others. Basically any service that was free.

I got the idea from a book called "The Millionaire Next Store".

Because of the subsequent price increase, the delaer claims that he paid more for the car than I did. So he was "real" happy with me.

I paid cash for the car. I did not have any discussions regarding financing.