Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Can I cancel my lease with VW after the diesel scandal?

2»

Comments

• texasestexases Posts: 8,976
    Oh, definitely not. And I think there's probably punitive damage here for the folks with the lease. I just don't see that they've been financially damaged. A buyer has, for sure.
  • steverstever Posts: 52,462
    Either way, the average consumer doesn't stand much chance of any meaningful recovery. If you have deep pockets, then yeah, maybe. But then you would likely wouldn't be driving a Passat TDI eh?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 137,966
    stever said:

Either way, the average consumer doesn't stand much chance of any meaningful recovery. If you have deep pockets, then yeah, maybe. But then you would likely wouldn't be driving a Passat TDI eh?

Well.. that was my point. :p

Sure looks like VW is going to be on the hook for individual compensation, though whether a lessee could participate in that is doubtful. I'm sure that will be part of a settlement with the government, along with the massive multi-billion dollar fines.

It amazes me the number of vehicles just sitting on back lots and distribution centers. The losses must be tremendous. If I were an owner, I'd worry more about how my car drives after the "fix", than anything else.

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I'm really curious what kind of distinction the courts will make between owners and lessees when it does come to damages.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,490
    My limited understanding is that you'd have to prove you were "aggrieved" or diminished in some way. Since you can't be aggrieved financially on a lease, I guess you'd have to claim----what?---loss of use perhaps, due to reluctance to "pollute"? Or loss of use if the car is to be laid up for extensive repairs/retrofitting?

Seems to me leasees don't have a real strong case unless they are somehow given special consideration in a settlement agreement---that seems their best shot.

I suppose you could aggressively petition the leasing institution to work out a deal for premature return--basically letting you off the hook for perhaps a turn-in fee.

Well, you lease a car for the temporary use and enjoyment of it. Now people are leaving nasty notes on your TDI's windshield and your 8 year old daughter just developed asthma.

What say you Judge Judy? :p
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,490
    She's say "OH COMOFFIT!"

I think the best strategy for the moment is for the VW TDI owner to sit tight until VW works something out with the Feds.
  • carboy21carboy21 Posts: 760
    Solution for avoiding people leaving nasty notes on your car is to pry off the TDI sticker and put a eco-green sticker on the faded paint B)B)
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 9,377
    A national publication is looking to hear your stories about recall headaches, including difficulties with dealers, wait times or loaner cars. If you're willing to assist, please contact [email protected] by no later than Thursday, April 21 2016.

Edmunds Moderator

Silver 2012 Nissan Versa Hatchback & White 2019 Nissan Rogue S

Need some roadside assistance? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Just purchased or leased a vehicle? Write your own vehicle review

• In 2014 I leased a Pssat Diesel it wasn't what the told me the performance was less than expected throttle lag was a problem in Jan 2015 I ask to be released from my lease they said the only way out was to pay the lease off I found another car and payed the remainder of the lease and turned the car in they told me that I turned the carn early before sept 18, 2015 and didn't qualify even though I would have had the car into 2016 I think this is a way to disqualify people from collecting what is owed them any suggestions thanks