Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Mazda B Series

Comments

• Options
    frank58frank58 Member Posts: 54
    I have passed the 13 month with my 99 b3000. Overall not bad. The serveice has been decent, but I am having one issue I hope some one can shedc some light on. I have noticed a rumbling sound from behind the dash at idle and when accelerating. Has anyone else heard the noise?
    Thanks
  • Options
    bmwnomadbmwnomad Member Posts: 2
    I just bought my first truck. It is a nice clean B2000 short bed 4 cyl 5 speed w/cap. It had a lot of curb appeal. Shiny black paint, no rust, clean motor (rebuilt about 15K miles ago)and the total mileage is 211K! Wow! The price was right, so I bought it, thinking what if it blows up? What if the guy put sawdust in the crankcase? How long could it last with so much mileage on it? Well I just got it back from state inspection. It needed 4 new tires, and some vacuum hoses replaced. It didn't pass emissions first time, too much CO. My first job was cleaning out a garage for a friend. At the scrap metal yard where I brought the garage junk, I saw an exact replica of my truck. A 1986 B2000 shortbed, and the mileage on it was 233K!!! It was great to see a truck with more miles than mine, and still in every day use. A great testimony for the old B2000 Mazda!
    Fireballgeorge
  • Options
    xena1axena1a Member Posts: 286
    frank58 -

I also own a '99 B3000 (4WD, Manual). I cannot say that I have heard the rumbling sound that you mentioned. At idle, the 3.0L is so quiet, you can barely detect that it is running. During acceleration, I heard the engine RPM's, but not anything that can be described as a rumbling sound. Does your sound eventually stop, or is it constant? Does the rumbling get louder? I really have no idea what it could be...
  • Options
    scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    Could be an exhaust problem with the rumbling sound.
  • Options
    dannygdannyg Member Posts: 131
    Over at RangerPowerSports there's a post that Ford has some interesting things planned for the Ranger/B-Series in 2001:

http://www.rangerpowersports.com/cgi-bin/boards/3.0/index.cgi?read=1527

So there's hope. I'm sure holding off trading in my old Ranger (which still is an excellent runner at 92K) until I see some details on the 2001. I can wait another 6 months...

Dan
  • Options
    The 2001 Ranger/Mazda are going to stomp! Its going to have a SOHC V6 210HP 240ft/lbs of torque! Yeah! Ford finally listened!
  • Options
    frank58frank58 Member Posts: 54
    Thanks it is not the exhaust. I almost fell like it is the speedometer cable.
  • Options
    mltmmtmltmmt Member Posts: 2
    I would like to know if 6x9's will fit in the doors of my 1999 B3000 Troy Lee. Will I have to drill?? Will they fit in the rear doors only?? If anyone can help me out I would appreciate it. Thanks. By the way for anyone wanting to know....I love this truck. Bought it three weeks ago and have had a blast from the start.
  • Options
    cougar12cougar12 Member Posts: 3
    Hi... my name is joe I am now looking at buying a 1995 mazda B-2300 SE X-cab 2.3 4cyl 5spd trans. Really nice truck 61,000 mi. dealer wants $7,200. 3mth/1,000 drivetrain warranty. Supposedly gets 28 mpg any reccomendations. I believe it is a good truck but your experience could help.
  • Options
    The 2.3 is a good little engine, reliable in one word. However, don't expect gut wrenching acceleration. Check Kelly Blue book and see what they have to say resale is. Also, take it to a mechanic you trust and have it checked out. At 61K the timing belt is about ready for changing.
    Good luck.
  • Options
    additurpadditurp Member Posts: 9
    Speaker Size is a great time to contact Crutchfields. They will be able to tell you everything you want to know without buying it from them..
  • Options
    additurpadditurp Member Posts: 9
    I bought a B2200 in 90, new and loved it. Drove th dogs--- out of ti, been to 2 different countries, sightseeing everywhere, manual, and has now 131k miles.

Bought the new 1999 B3000 Troy Lee, auto. I have 4000 mile son it, bought it for $17000 and like it a lot. I am not sure about the auto yet...it just isn't DRIVING. But that is why I am looking at musclecar now. Driving is great...
  • Options
    johnz3johnz3 Member Posts: 5
    Mine is 94 B3000 X-cab SE with auto trans. Now has 107k miles and runs great. Nothing wrong for 6 yrs. Want to get a 4X4. Any suggestion?
  • Options
    Glad to hear about your reliable '94. I've got a '99 B3000 4WD with a 5-spd manual and a 4-door extended cab. I am very happy with the truck. Decent MPG (20.x all purpose, 22.x hiway), good build quality and value. These vehicles are very capable off-road. I've been 4-wheeling with it in Arizona and Colorado. The truck has only 10,000 miles on it, but I have not had a lick of trouble with it.
    My question to you is are you considering another B-Series/Ranger truck? If so, you've got a couple of different options. The Ranger is due for an engine upgrade and a front-end styling change for 2001. I would assume that Mazda will follow suit. Check out this link for more info on the 2001 Ranger:

www.blueovalnews.com/ranger_edge.htm

Because the Ranger (and probably Mazda) are being changed for 2001, you should be able to get a great deal on a 2000 Ranger/B-Series during year end clearance. Either way, you can't go wrong. Let us know what you decide. Good luck...
  • Options
    I would like to make the suggestion of possibly waiting for the 2001 Ranger/Mazda. The new 4.0 is going to kick some serious bu... But if your not into and don't need all the extra HP and torque a 4.0 5spd 4x4 with a 3.73 limited slip will do you just fine. If you don't need to tow or haul too much a 3.0 5spd with a 3.73 rear end will do even better. Saves some on the mpg. I would also suggest you get a limited slip rearend, and the tow pkg. Good luck! Any other questions come on over to the Ranger board.
  • Options
    mtl3mtl3 Member Posts: 22
    I've got a '97 B4000 and I've put about 26,000 miles on it. At about 16,000 miles, I noticed that the front tires had started to scallop on the outside.

I had the front tires put on the back ('cause I'm cheap) and a 4-wheel alignment done. However, the tech(?) said that Ford/Mazda have a real problem in the alignment area and he recommended an alignment with every oil change.

While I did manage to leave without laughing in his face, I did get to wondering, has anyone else had a reoccurring problem with the alignment? I'm also starting to see (imagine?) that the tires are getting out of alignment again.

Drives fine, tracks well and there doesn't seem to be any excessive effort to corner. With the road noise that OEM tires make you can't tell by that.
    Just wondering. Haven't had any other problem in almost three years.

Thanks.
  • Options
    kit1404kit1404 Member Posts: 124
    My 1998 4X4 Ranger (4.0) looked like it was wearing out the 16" Firestone AT's early. But, when I checked with a tread-depth gauge, couldn't be sure. Didn't matter - the engine didn't last as long as the tires.
  • Options
    devontiedevontie Member Posts: 35
    I think the size of your speakers are 5x7. I have a Ranger and thats my size.
  • Options
    It may have been the tires.

Perhaps the truck was delivered with a mis-alignment and now that I have that fixed, maybe it's fixed for good.

It does appear that since the rotation and alignment that the front tires are not wearing unevenly. They are wearing fast however.

Sorry about your engine. I was shocked to hear how many folks are having trouble with the 4.0 engine.
    Mine's been flawless.
  • Options
    mrpenguin20mrpenguin20 Member Posts: 13
    I'm considering a new 2001 Ranger/B-Series. I'm not too knowledgable when it comes to trucks, what is the difference with the axle ratios (3.73, 4.10), which one is good for what?
    And also, someone mentioned something about a Ranger chat board, if anyone knows where that is please let me know. Thanks
  • Options
    www.rangerstation.com is a good one. A 4.10 is used more for heavy towing, hauling and 4x4 offroading. A 3.73 will do most folks just fine. A 4.10 will not get as good as MPG as a 3.73 either.
  • Options
    rlaukaitisrlaukaitis Member Posts: 2
    I've recently noticed that while driving, and at times during acceleration, a distinct clatter in the engine. Or at least this is what I think... I've had the dealer look at the 1998 B2500 SE 4dr, and have come away with nothing but frustration and a 'perfectly working' truck. Is it just me, or should I have someone else look at this? The funny part is, the clatter normally happens at cruising speed only. Any help would be appreciated.
  • Options
    Actually the site is www.therangerstation.com. Sorry.
  • Options
    cougars2cougars2 Member Posts: 3
    Yes, I have the same engine clatter in my 1998 B3000 V6. I can notice it at about 60 mph and "get on it" to about 70. I have always spoiled my truck with super unleaded, and the first time I used regular is when I noticed it.

I went back to super and now its gone when I simulate the exact same conditions.

Am I nuts or would the gas grade do it?

BTW - super unleaded is $1.55 at most Mobils in Houston!
  • Options
    dean28dean28 Member Posts: 6
    Hey, great site, lots of interesting comments here. Well i have 87 B2600 2wd and just wanted to let you know that this is the first mazda pickup ive ever had (had a mazda RX7, outstanding car!) and i must say that with 162,000 miles on it, it has been abosoulutely reliable hasnt burned an ounce of oil and runs and drives like new! The only disapointment is the gas mileage 18-20mpg tops so far, if anyone has any input on how or if you can inprove this let me know. Thanks!!
  • Options
    jac18jac18 Member Posts: 2
    I ALSO HAVE A 87 B2200 AND THE BEST I GET IS 19 MILES PER GALLON WITH A 5 SPEED
    WITH 90000 MILES.
  • Options
    May be something specific to yours. I have an '97 B4000 with about 25k miles and haven't heard a peep.
    Runs fine, gets about 19 mpg and uses regular unleaded. This has turned out to be a blessing as my other car uses premium and it's sure noticeable when you fill up.
  • Options
    I own a 1998 Ranger and had the same problem with engine ping. I went up to 89 octane and its been gone ever since. I would bet it has to do with timing/fuel mixture.
  • Options
    kjtgkjtg Member Posts: 49
    I wonder if Gasohol would work? It would save a little money.
  • Options
    bobmaxbobmax Member Posts: 2
    I own a 1999 Mazda B3000 and am experiencing the same problems (as stated by others) with excessive exterior wear to the front tires. Even with a 4 wheel alignment, computer balancing, and tire rotation, I have noticed that the outside portion of the tires are "scalloped" with only 8000 miles on the vehicle. It seems like an ongoing problem with Ford/Mazda pickups!
  • Options
    jw69jw69 Member Posts: 1
    i own a 1998 mazda b4000 4wd, 38k miles. i am having the light problem since i bought the truck in june 1998. the check engine light has on more than it's off. i have brought the truck back in service many times...they don't know what the problem is. every time they shutdown the light, it came back again after a week or so...consider it engine is a ford, i'm not too surprised about it...
    does any one has a similar problem?
  • Options
    Yes!! I had this problem with my Ranger just about a week ago. It was the fuel cap@!!! I was told by the service guy this is not uncommon due to them being plastic and they break easily. If your fuel cap is not on tight enough it doesn't allow the fuel system to vacuum down and causes the check engine light to come on. Have your dealer change your fuel cap.
  • Options
    cougars2cougars2 Member Posts: 3
    The light in my headlight switch went out in my 1998 B3000.

How in the heck do I get in there to chage it?

??
  • Options
    >>It seems like an ongoing problem with Ford/Mazda pickups<<

Maybe that yahoo alignment tech was right that we have to align the tires w/each oil change.

Mine's due for another (oil change) soon. I'm going to have the alignment checked and if it's off again, I'm going looking for NTSB or any documentation of this. If so, someone gonna fix it. I hope it's not me.
  • Options
    tacoma_trdtacoma_trd Member Posts: 135
    i have a 98 B2500 5spd and i have noticed that clattering noise, it only happens when i go into gear a little early, not enough speed, and the engine strians, it continues to make the noise until i get to a pretty high RPM

as for tire wear, i have 17,500 miles and my back right driving tire is pretty much bald, and thats not from spinning the tires cause i dont do that too often

and the speaker sizes in the 98 and newer B-series are 6x8 i had new ones put in
  • Options
    I have the 98 B2500 5spd ext. cab and im considering either upgrading to a B3000 Troy lee or a Tacoma Prerunner TRD, any suggestions???
  • Options
    tacoma trd, you answered your own question. Any vehicle engine will make noise when not in the correct gear at the correct time.
    As for the upgrade, you need to evalute what you will use the truck for? The 3.0 has 15ft/lbs more of torque at a lower rpm, better for towing, hauling, ect... The Mazda offers a limited slip diff that is available and usable at all times. The tacoma has a locker only available in 4low, and available a very small percentage of the time. The rest of the time the rear diff is open.
    All I can say is test drive!
  • Options
    tacoma trd -

I think your username indicates what you want to purchase. But I have a few questions for you:

1. How has your current Mazda performed for you?
    Have you been satisfied?
    2. What do you use your truck for?
    3. Why are you considering an upgrade?

The Tacoma Prerunner TRD is a nice truck. But are you willing to spend the kind of money it will take to get you into one? And keep in mind, it is still a 2WD. Same as you've got now. I haven't priced one recently. But last I checked, they were around 20K. I paid 18.6K for my '99 B3000 4WD ex-cab. So, for $1,400 less, I got 4WD capability and 4-doors. You can't get those features on the Prerunner. Plus, I got a 5-spd manual. Isn't the Prerunner available in only automatic? I guess it just depends on what you need or want. Personally, I'd first explore some other options. One of the nice things about the compact pickup market is the large selection of choices available for the consumer. Research and testdrive. You'll find what best suits you. Just my 2 cents...
  • Options
    Well at first my favorite truck was always a tacoma TRD until i really got into them and started looking harder, i know u will pay a little more for the tacoma but see how much your truck will be worth in 2 years w/ 30,000 miles compared to a tacoma with the same thing, as for the other options, I definitely love the 4 doors that mazda offers and I would rather a 5 spd and 4WD, but I would be willing to pay the extra $1400 for the reliability and value the tacoma holds
  • Options
    tacoma trd, please head on over to Kelly Blue books and start punching numbers for Ranger and Tacoma's with like options for 2 years old, you may be surprised. In comparison to the upfront cost in price difference the resale value isn't that much better.
  • Options
    dizzy2dizzy2 Member Posts: 8
    I have a 91 B2200 that I bought used in 94 for only $5400. It has 137k onit now and still runs great. My only options are sliding rear window and AC.

I have noticed that in winter cold the drivers side window is hard to roll down. It feels like it is resisting. Does anyone have any experience/thoughts on what causes this and what to do about it? I think I bought my truck from an idiot - he almost gave away a no problem vehicle!
  • Options
    rlaukaitisrlaukaitis Member Posts: 2
    Well, I'm back. Same engine clatter as befor, only now I'm $228 deeper into the problem. I asked for a tune up, oil change, the works to see if possibly the timing was off. Now, not only does the clatter continue (worse at higher speeds), but now I get a lovely puff of blue smoke when I stop, then start driving again (e.g. traffic lights, stop to check my mail, then continue driving, etc.). This being my 4th Mazda (or is it Fazda??), I was a little insulted when the dealership told me the cause was BAD GAS! Any other advise before I contact my lawyer to force the dealership to fix this PIECE OF CRAP??
  • Options
    rlauk, I would say its time to contact the district manager for Mazda. You have a lemon here no doubt. Its time to force Mazda to buy it back or offer you a new one. Just keep pushing and fighting and don't give up, this is what they want you to do. Good luck.
  • Options
    mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    Rlaukaitis, don't expect your engine clatter to go away. My 1994 B2300 has been pinging since it had 8,000 miles on the odometer; five years later it's still doing it at 117,000. Early on I was my dealer's worst enemy -- my truck must've been in the shop 100 times for this. I'd take up a lot of space telling you all the things that have been replaced -- some two or three times. Suffice to say we've replaced EVERY sensor, the ENTIRE EGR system (not just the valve), the truck's computer (twice), entire exhaust system, MAF sensor, intake manifold, and even remanufactured the head. The only positive thing I can say about my experience owning this truck is that I've learned a lot about how engines work (or don't work), and oh yes, I've learned -- too late for me -- how my state's lemon law works. I'll tell you this: I'm trading in my piecajunk Mazford in a few months and I will never own another Mazda or Ford product. The pinging was only part of the whole problem. The final nail in the coffin came when the Mazda factory tech rep, at the request of my dealership's service manager, rode with me in the truck, admitted he heard the noise, and then got out at the dealership and told the service manager there was nothing wrong with my truck. Mazda will not help you solve this problem. My advice is to check your state's lemon law, get documentation of the times you've taken the truck in for the same problem, and then pursue getting your dealership to buy you out of your loan. I would have done it if I'd known soon enough. Good luck!
  • Options
    I think most people have seen a picture of the 2001 rangers and I was wondering if anybody knew if the B-series would change their front end styling to match the rangers in 2001?
  • Options
    Good question about the B-Series styling. I was wondering that myself. I haven't heard a thing about the 2001 Mazda's. I sort of hope they keep the same general styling theme. I consider them to be some of the best looking compact trucks...
  • Options
    danny25danny25 Member Posts: 119
    I read somewhere (sorry I don't remember where) that the Mazda will recieve a "freshening" for 2001. I guess that means just some minor changes.
  • Options
    I have a question for some of you B-series owners, I have a 98 B2500, it idles around 800-900 RPM, everynow and then when at idle would just drop to about 400-500 RPM, and it would almost kill, then jump right back up to 900, it would happen in the matter of a couple of seconds. To try and fix the problem, I set my idle slightly higher to 1000 RPM, it worked fine until my check engine light came on(which I never got checked) and I think the computer reset the idle back to normal. This was about 1 month ago and I am just starting to notice my idle dropping then coming back up like it used to. Has anyone experienced this problem, Ive never brought it to the dealer or got it checked yet but I was wondering if anybody knew the problem or had this before?
  • Options
    I have seen this occasionally with my '99 B3000 but it involves coming to a stop. As I approach
    a stop sign or stop light, sometimes I am going a little to fast and don't have time to downshift into a lower gear. So, with the truck in gear, I push in the clutch pedal and begin braking. Under these conditions, pedal in, aggressive braking, the RPMs will dip down to 500 or so, then jump back up to the usual 800 or 900 for idle. It's almost as if the engine is a bit confused. I haven't stalled it out doing this, but I have noticed it...
  • Options
    yes, that is when it happens, and then it happens when I come to a stop, its never stalled on me, but it feels like it will and it comes close